• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fusion energy breakthrough to be revealed on Tuesday by US Department of Energy

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
iUyYoHo.jpg

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Really off topic but this is the most based scene to come out of coal country:

just watching the intro I can tell the Dad is really disapointed with his son but will come around towards the end of the film. also his wife is dead.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
just watching the intro I can tell the Dad is really disapointed with his son but will come around towards the end of the film. also his wife is dead.
Close, I think the wife actually helps him come around and respect what the son is doing but it’s been a looooong time since I read the book or watched the movie.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Close, I think the wife actually helps him come around and respect what the son is doing but it’s been a looooong time since I read the book or watched the movie.
homer simpson episode 6 GIF

hehehe but that actor always has the role of the disapointed father lol

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
That's too bad, I was actually curious about what he's saying. Never hurts to be a bit skeptical about this kind of news.

Yeah he/she/it raised some interesting points, but the passive-aggressiveness/abrasiveness was super unnecessary. And directed at EL no less - tantamount to account suicide but without the sweet gold and hilarity.

Did this guy get banned for questioning fusion?

Get this fission head outta here.

He was just fission for a tag.

EDIT: If this pans out as true and viable for commercial/government purposes I hope the chances for transforming our dependence on fossil fuels doesn't fall into the same corporate and lobbying hell hole that is government systems and industry these days. I hope this stays under independent and open global govts helmed by non-profits in shared control. I know better, it won't.

A little more Star Trek Federation and a little less road to our first trillionaire asshat please.

EDIT2:
During World War II, we crafted the Manhattan Project for a timely result. The challenges facing the world today are even greater than at that time. We must double down and accelerate the research to explore new pathways for the clean, limitless energy that fusion promises.”

That quote is insane to think about, it's really not far off the mark though. I agree the sooner the modern world gets to clean energy and independence from fossil fuels the better off the world will be, it's the shield and sword. It appears as if a "swell", for lack of a better word, of divide and urgency to control where we came from to where we are going is in the balance this current generation of leaders/dictators etc. Clean energy could tip that balance quite favourably over the next 5-25 years.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Very cool. I remember reading about research working towards this years ago, when it was only mentioned in obscure little articles on something like ScienceDaily.

While fusion research needs more funding than it currently receives, I still think thorium and SMR fission will be the reality of clean energy that actually has the capability to replace fossile fuels for electricity generation in our lifetimes.

LimanimaPT

Am I the only one that isn't surprised at all? ITER, the first fusion power plant, is under construction for years with the first test scheduled for 2025. That's 3 years away. And it will fuse more then 1 grain of salt.
I know it is just experimental, but is in another totally diferent scale.

I have no clue how any of this works, but that picture in the OP looks crazy. Like something that started really small(base game) and added a bunch of chunks on it (DLC). Looks crazy complicated and I guess they're going to try and get this design finetuned.

sono

Gold Member
Awesome. I presume that this is saying that the energy hiting the target is less than the energy output from that.

So what is needed to take the energy output and turn that back around to drive the lasers

Wildebeest

It is an impressive achievement, and no doubt they will do real research off the back of it. What I question the most is the media reporting of it as if this means the US is only a few years away from commercial fusion power.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Awesome. I presume that this is saying that the energy hiting the target is less than the energy output from that.

So what is needed to take the energy output and turn that back around to drive the lasers
Yes but from the comments on reddit it sounds like the lasers used in the test are really old and inefficient so current tech would reduce that required energy. Still not a net positive output when compared to input, but much closer.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
It is an impressive achievement, and no doubt they will do real research off the back of it. What I question the most is the media reporting of it as if this means the US is only a few years away from commercial fusion power.
This happens with literally every science thing and has for as long as I can remember. What's exciting to specialized scientists is really usually not all that exciting for your average person.

Irobot82

So is the goal to have the fusion ignition become self sustaining? Like you turn the lasers off and it keeps fusing? How does this translate into boiling water to turn a turbine?

seems promising unlike all the other times we've had "breakthroughs". still doesn't seem like it's going to power anything meaningful for another few decades. i doubt i'll be alive to see it be used but the thought of us getting a clean source of energy is optimistic and comforting. we desperately needed it years ago. even if we switched to fusion today climate change isn't magically solved and it would take many years to reverse the damage. i just mean if this is the real deal then it's great to see us going on the right path.

and if the world in 50-100 years is to be powered by fusion then it will bring exciting new technology. i've saw a lot of people say this is like discovering fire. i'm sad that i'll not get to see what it brings. it also makes me thinks of how far computers have advanced in the last 50-60 years. we all carry about devices more powerful than what got humans on the moon. storage drives decades ago used to be massive but we can cram data into a little micro sd card now. hopefully that's the path fusion takes...so we can have a future were homes, cars, smart devices, etc are powered by fusion.

So is the goal to have the fusion ignition become self sustaining? Like you turn the lasers off and it keeps fusing? How does this translate into boiling water to turn a turbine?
i'm not an expert but i don't think that's how it would work. at least i don't think the lasers would turn off. i think they would stay on but the energy required to create fusion would be significantly less than what is generates.

this test the lasers used about 2 MJ and 3 MJ was created so only 1 MJ. if it could generate say 6 MJ then it would be able to power itself and have 4 MJ left over. i suck at words but i hope that makes sense?

so energy would still be used but it'd power itself. apart from the energy required for the initial laser firing then it'd be free clean energy. i think... i'm sure someone will correct me.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Can someone explain why the banned user was wrong? I never saw any rebuttals (maybe I missed them), just piss taking. He wasn't the most cordial with it, but it wasn't devolving into ad hominem and seemed like a good opportunity to explain to him and anyone else reading where and why what he said wasn't correct. Are media outlets misrepresenting the facts?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Can someone explain why the banned user was wrong? I never saw any rebuttals (maybe I missed them), just piss taking. He wasn't the most cordial with it, but it wasn't devolving into ad hominem and seemed like a good opportunity to explain to him and anyone else reading where and why what he said wasn't correct. Are media outlets misrepresenting the facts?
III. Moderation Policy

A. Moderation of NeoGAF is not by democracy. All decisions with regards to thread closure and movement, permanent and temporary bans, membership, and any other relevant issues are made by the NeoGAF administration alone and are final. That being said, constructive criticisms and suggestions are welcome, provided they are directed to NeoGAF Administration via e-mail, here. Do not dispute administrative policy or action within the forum itself.

Email 'em and find out.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I'm not interested in the ban, rather the subject that was cut short. I haven't gotten round to reading Maiden Voyage Maiden Voyage 's links yet but it seems like there's some doubt surrounding the claims, and didn't know if that's misunderstanding, misrepresentation, or something else

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I'm not interested in the ban, rather the subject that was cut short. I haven't gotten round to reading Maiden Voyage Maiden Voyage 's links yet but it seems like there's some doubt surrounding the claims, and didn't know if that's misunderstanding, misrepresentation, or something else
I think it was more the tone than the data/argument itself.

For the actual q[plasma] point, it sounds like it is a pedantic argument about communicating scientific advancements to the general public. AJUMP23 AJUMP23 posted a great video from the actual scientist explaining what they achieved and that it is a positive step but work is still to be done. Start with that vid IMO, then if the subject is still interesting, check out those links I shared or hop on Google.

Top Bottom