• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US repeats fusion energy breakthrough - "one of the most impressive science feats of the 21st century"

Chittagong

Gold Member
Remember the fusion energy breakthrough? Well, it's been repeated, even better now.

Financial Times said:
US energy secretary Jennifer Granholm in December described the achievement of ignition as “one of the most impressive science feats of the 21st century”. In that experiment, the reaction produced about 3.15 megajoules, which was about 150 per cent of the 2.05MJ in the lasers. Initial data from the July experiment indicated an energy output greater than 3.5MJ, two of the people with knowledge of the preliminary results said. That energy would be roughly sufficient to power a household iron for an hour.

Looks like 2023 is for humankind what 2001 was for gaming

✅ UFOs
✅ Room temperature superconductors
✅ General purpose AI
✅ Cancer cure breakthrough
✅ Fusion energy breakthrough

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
That energy would be roughly sufficient to power a household iron for an hour.
Thats great. Now come back to me when you can sufficiently power entire cities.

Trogdor1123

You forgot

✅ Undeniable evidence for pre-reset old world remnants more of less proving a suppression of our world's history and the false historic narrative.

Pretty mind shattering.

Great OP Chittagong Chittagong
Not sure that’s a thing…,

Meme Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Also, and be sincere. Do you practice real skepticism or fake/social skepticism? Are you able to put information through a disciplined mind in a place where said information is categorized in a supsended state of disposition or rather use methodical cynicism?

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
There's been breakthroughs left right and center when it comes to fusion, practically every 6mths ffs but we're always still perpetually about 20yrs out from it actually making a tangible difference

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Also, and be sincere. Do you practice real skepticism or fake/social skepticism? Are you able to put information through a disciplined mind in a place where said information is categorized in a supsended state of disposition or rather use methodical cynicism?

You know. Nevermind.

You do you bae.

Carry on ❤

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
This is great, would mean nuclear power without radioactive waste
We've had that since the 60s. It's called a thorium reactor. It is also the only thing in the world that can use up our existent nuclear waste as fuel and reduce the liquid that is dangerous for 100,000 years into a brick that is dangerous for 100 years. It is also stable for a much wider temperature range, requires a small fraction of the maintenance, and if everything goes horribly wrong and fails it naturally cools instead of meltdown. It was blocked because of anti-nuclear hysteria and is still illegal even though there are working reactors in existence. Look into it and have fun losing even more faith in humanity to do the right thing (except oh hey, look, China is friendly to the idea tho and made one 2 years ago, better get western press to villainize over again it now).

Last edited:

Hudo

We've had that since the 60s. It's called a thorium reactor. It is also the only thing in the world that can use up our existent nuclear waste as fuel and reduce the liquid that is dangerous for 100,000 years into a brick that is dangerous for 100 years. It is also stable for a much wider temperature range, requires a small fraction of the maintenance, and if everything goes horribly wrong and fails it naturally cools instead of meltdown. It was blocked because of anti-nuclear hysteria and is still illegal even though there are working reactors in existence. Look into it and have fun losing even more faith in humanity to do the right thing (except oh hey, look, China is friendly to the idea tho and made one 2 years ago, better get western press to villainize over again it now).
This post almost makes me want to go into politics and become chancellor of Germany to force these things to be built. Granted, I'd be ousted after one term because every politician will hate me but it would be a hell of a one term.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
There's been breakthroughs left right and center when it comes to fusion, practically every 6mths ffs but we're always still perpetually about 20yrs out from it actually making a tangible difference
That's actually not entirely true.

The history of cold fusion is riddled with political interference, west vs east antics etc. Decades have been lost to this.
PCs and therefore computer simulation just hasn't been good enough for the longest time.

The Stellator design used by the Germans is so complex it could not be build/perceived without computer aided design, which really took off somewhere in the 90s.

Its also a super complex undertaking all by itself, creating and harnessing plasma that's hotter than the surface of the sun in a man made object... wild.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Looks like 2023 is for humankind what 2001 was for gaming

✅ UFOs
✅ Room temperature superconductors
✅ General purpose AI
✅ Cancer cure breakthrough
✅ Fusion energy breakthrough
Wait, what’s going on with UFOs?

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I don't know your life story, just this thread. It makes me wanna say...

What?

No you specifically targeted two of my posts and simply/generally/broadly asked "what?."

And when i used a neutral gif you attached his actor's role as such thus implying I'm hiding behind.. let me see "smug nazi" while calling me "boy."

Thumbs Up GIF by One Chicago

BlackTron

No you specifically targeted two of my posts and simply/generally/broadly asked "what?."

And when i used a neutral gif you attached his actor's role as such thus implying I'm hiding behind.. let me see "smug nazi" while calling me "boy."

Thumbs Up GIF by One Chicago

After your first reply, I wanted to say you rely on gifs too much. But I was like...ehh let it go. Let it be "fine".

But then you replied to the same post with ANOTHER gif! So okay. Your "that's fine" gif was actually BS, it wasn't fine. Well two can play the GIF game sir.

frozen-elsa.gif

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
After your first reply, I wanted to say you rely on gifs too much. But I was like...ehh let it go. Let it be "fine".

But then you replied to the same post with ANOTHER gif! So okay. Your "that's fine" gif was actually BS, it wasn't fine. Well two can play the GIF game sir.

frozen-elsa.gif

It's okay saving face. It's fine. As well as not having the introspection as to see why our interaction went as it did.

Ironicaly, your initial quote started with a gif. Implying a "receipt" for my thoughts. As if i could present you the complex answer as to your "what?" which would 100% make you REALLY entertain my post. It was a poor try hence my lazy responses.

You didn't even acknowledged my question. Let alone answer it

Enjoy your paradigm.

Top Bottom