• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Future of Metroid?

Mama Robotnik said:
Nintendolodeck has ZERO METROIDS[/i]

I think that's right.
That name is all sorts of spectacular lol

...but yeah, the only two things I really would require a Metroid title to have is some form of exploration and a story told mostly(or entirely) through gameplay. I'm down for anything else, so long as those things are intact. Even if it were a pretty radical departure from the formula, if just those two things were there, I could still call it Metroid.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Bumping this thread, I finally made my way through it...

I haven't played Other M yet, and am not a fan of the Prime games. I'm a traditionalist, I'd love to see another 2D (sprites!!) game in the vein of Super. Just bigger, lots of creative and awe-inspiring worlds, with a few brand-new unique powerups, minimal story with very little dialogue, and epic boss encounters. With very little hand-holding and a challenging difficulty level (something Nintendo hasn't been too afraid of in their 2D games lately, thankfully).

No outsourcing to a western studio shit either please.

robor

I would like to see post-R&D1 attempt to perfect metroidian design tradition 2. I.e. remake Metroid II: Return of Samus.

apana

robor said:
I would like to see post-R&D1 attempt to perfect metroidian design tradition 2. I.e. remake Metroid II: Return of Samus.

They can call it Metroid 2D. Do you get it? It will actually be in 2.5D though.

apana

Alright here is my new plot for Metroid reboot:

Samus is living with her sister and Dad/Mom who are researching with the Chozo. Space Pirates attack by releasing an infestation of Metroids onto the planet, who kill her parents. In order to survive she rushes to Chozo defense station where she powers up a robot in order to save her. You play as the robot throughout the game, exploring and shooting pirates in the face. At the end you help Samus and her sister escape to a spacepod as the planet is about to be nuked. You are captured by the pirates and your positronic brain is turned into space trash. Samus and her sister survive. The end of the first game. Please tell me if you would like to hear my plot for the sequel.....

apana

Boney said:
you are changing the cannon!!!!!!!

2d (not by retro dammit) is the only way to go next.

I'll keep her arm cannon the same, but the I'll defintely make the plot better.

Shin Johnpv said:
There's far too much hyperbole in this thread to comment seriously in it.
Nintendo lacks the ability to make another great Metroid game.
So true. This thread delivered.
After the success of Donkey Kong Country, it would make sense to give it back to Retro and see what they can do with a 2D Metroid.

No thanks. I loved what Retro did with Metroid Prime but three games were enough. I also personally thought they did a better job with the DKC series than Metroid.

If we do see another Metroid soon I'd like to see 2D Metroid Dread that takes place after fusion. If we have another 3D one take Metroid: Other M's gameplay but add nunchuk support and use pointing controls to aim and shoot. That I think would fix alot of the problems people would have gameplay wise. Story should be reduced down a lot to minimal or not a lot in the game.

Osuwari said:
NES Metroid (unplayable in this day and age. it is one of those games that you had to be there to get)

I'm kinda disappointed that so many people think the original Metroid is unplayable in 2011.

In many ways if I were to have my new dream Metroid game it would fall somewhere in between the original Metroid and Super Metroid. Totally sparse, minimalist presentation, storyline, tutorials. No map. No handholding. I think the feeling of being hopelessly lost in an alien world is what made the original Metroid so special. Despite the fact that it's still an unimpeachable great game, even Super Metroid started to lose this type of atmosphere.

It seems like recent Metroid games are being built as a conduit for the series expanding storyline (or "universe") which is wrong, wrong, wrong. I really don't care about Samus's origin story. It's totally fucking irrelevant to my enjoyment of the original Metroid games.

Ellis Kim

Banned
djtiesto said:
Bumping this thread, I finally made my way through it...

I haven't played Other M yet, and am not a fan of the Prime games. I'm a traditionalist, I'd love to see another 2D (sprites!!) game in the vein of Super. Just bigger, lots of creative and awe-inspiring worlds, with a few brand-new unique powerups, minimal story with very little dialogue, and epic boss encounters. With very little hand-holding and a challenging difficulty level (something Nintendo hasn't been too afraid of in their 2D games lately, thankfully).

No outsourcing to a western studio shit either please.
I'd love to see Retro return to the Metroid franchise and make Metroid 3DS, but 2D :x

Say what you want about the recent stint of Japanese publishers and their success/failure with outsourcing IP to western studios, I still think Retro did an amazing job.

DonMigs85

Hate to admit it, but the first two Metroids and Zeldas really don't hold up all that well, unlike the Mario games.

Man, I'd really like an Abuse-like Metroid on the Wii. Run with the Nunchuck and Aim with the Wiimote. There would be tons of gameplay possibilities.

Why don't we have ANY of these games on the Wii? (Aside from S&P kinda) :[

I'd personally rather not see another FPS Metroid. I'm love Metroid Prime 1&3 a hell of a lot(Metroid Prime 1 is my favorite FPS of all time and one of my favorite games) but I'd rather see 3rd person Metroids that aren't Other M. I'd rather not see a 2D Metroid either. After Super Metroid, theres no where else to go but down in my opinion.

DonMigs85 said:
Hate to admit it, but the first two Metroids and Zeldas really don't hold up all that well, unlike the Mario games.
I think Metroid holds up much, much better than it gets credit for. Fix the save system and get rid of a handful of inescapable death traps and it would be as perfect as any 8-bit action/adventure game. Hell, even without those fixes it's still one of the best in its genre for that generation.

PokéKong

Are we still stuck in a "3D games for consoles, 2D games for handhelds" mindset when Nintendo has had their hugest games of the past two holiday seasons be revivals of 2D platforming on a console?
Give the world what it wants, what it needs, Super Duper Metroid for Wii. DKCR worked out and pulled DK up from the ashes miraculously, you can't convince me a new console 2D Metroid would not work out fantastically.

Nekofrog

Banned
DonMigs85 said:

The first two Metroids are awful, the first Zelda is okay for what it is, but Zelda 2 is still a truly fantastic game.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
man, i just disagree so much with the idea that the original zelda is just okay. i still think it's one of the best nes games, and it still plays well enough and has features distinct enough that i come back to play it again and again. the act of playing it again is not some sort of history lesson, either--this anthropological approach to gaming is something i do sometimes, slogging through old stuff to understand the new stuff--but with zelda, i'm humming the overworld theme, i'm trying to time my sword beams just right and moving so darknuts walk their backs right into them, i'm clowning dodongo, and it's still just as fun to me as any zelda game in those moments.

Nekofrog said:
The first two Metroids are awful, the first Zelda is okay for what it is, but Zelda 2 is still a truly fantastic game.

Clearly we have very different notions of the word 'awful.'

GrotesqueBeauty said:
I think Metroid holds up much, much better than it gets credit for. Fix the save system and get rid of a handful of inescapable death traps and it would be as perfect as any 8-bit action/adventure game. Hell, even without those fixes it's still one of the best in its genre for that generation.

Ah GB. Sometimes we agree, sometimes we disagree.

But I fully endorse this post.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
what's nuts is i think zelda 2 is absolutely one of the worst games mentioned there! if it weren't for metroid 2--which i think is worth skipping--it would be unquestionably my least favorite of the bunch.

minor effort said:
I'm kinda disappointed that so many people think the original Metroid is unplayable in 2011.
I've got an idea for a great new Metroid game. Every room looks the same, you have no map (except for graphic paper or the NES Atlas) and whenever you restart your save you are left with nearly no health and enemies that refuse to give health pick-ups. Sounds perfectly playable to the modern game bought on QTEs and auto drawing maps and flashing red points, totally fun and won't get torn apart in reviews.

Sarcasm aside its no map and the start with 30 health which are what make it unplayalbe (Zelda 1 has a map and solves the health issue with a nearby fairy). At the same time feeling is divided over its remake, Zero Mission because it oversolves by the issue by telling you where to go (but does not force you to go there).

Boney said:
2d (not by retro dammit) is the only way to go next.
Good feel? *looks at Wario and Kirby reception*...okay maybe not. Thats the thing, weren't the Wario graphics were outsourced, were the Kirby graphics?

beelzebozo said:
what's nuts is i think zelda 2 is absolutely one of the worst games mentioned there! if it weren't for metroid 2--which i think is worth skipping--it would be unquestionably my least favorite of the bunch.

Game is totally underappreciated. Confusing as shit, no doubt, but I still think it's an essential experience. Fantastically oppressive game crafted through a masterful attention to detail, introduces a bunch of well-executed mainstays to the series and contains one of the best ending sequences of any game.

Starwolf_UK said:
Sarcasm aside its no map and the start with 30 health which are what make it unplayalbe .

I'll concede that the health limitations on continuing makes it a frustrating experience, but I don't see the lack of a map as a flaw. I think getting completely lost is part of the experience.

In fact as the visuals became more advanced in Metroid games, and every room looked completely unique, adding a map became excessive.

EDIT: And I agree with beelzebozo, I can't find any major flaw with Zelda 1 that would make it "unplayable". It's still a fantastic game, and in my opinion still one of the best Zelda games.

But Zelda II is also a fantastic sidescrolling action-RPG to this day. But the game probably did a disservice to itself being labeled as a Zelda game.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
metroid 2 you mean? or metroid?

all of that definitely applies to metroid for me. i think it's a totally weird game, but weird in the best way. people whine so much about the lack of challenge in video games now, but metroid presents you with a situation in which you feel very helpless initially, feel like the environment is extremely threatening and dangerous, and subject you to confusing alien hallways and getting frequently lost; suddenly all those people who turn their nose up at "hand-holding" are crying to their mommies.

One of the reasons that I still see the original Metroid as worth-playing, regardless of its actual quality, is that no game (except maybe Metroid II) has come close to being as claustrophobic. It can be frustratingly obscure and complex at times, no doubt, but it's still a highly unique experience - even within its own series. I adore Super, and it remains my favourite game of all time, but the original Metroid is far from not worth playing just because it was surpassed in all other aspects.

beelzebozo said:
metroid 2 you mean? or metroid?

all of that definitely applies to metroid for me. i think it's a totally weird game, but weird in the best way. people whine so much about the lack of challenge in video games now, but metroid presents you with a situation in which you feel very helpless initially, feel like the environment is extremely threatening and dangerous, and subject you to confusing alien hallways and getting frequently lost; suddenly all those people who turn their nose up at "hand-holding" are crying to their mommies.

Was actually talking about Metroid II.

robor said:
Damn you all and your lack of praise for Zero Mission.

Zero Mission gets plenty of praise mang.

Boney

Banned
robor said:
Damn you all and your lack of praise for Zero Mission.
I think most people will agree it's the best Metroid.

replayed both Fusion and this last month. They're so fucking good.

Well I'd like to know where the story is going from here so Metroid 5 would be preferred. The 3DS would be ideal because you can have 2D gameplay with some interesting 3D environments.

ElectricBlanketFire said:
I don't care who makes the next one. All I want is my beloved scanning back.

I loved scanning too.

Scary to think that the original Prime is over 8 years old now. I bought it on a whim, having never played a Metroid game before. Probably the best spontaneous purchase I've ever made.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Fusion and Zero Mission are the holy grail of Metroid. I like Prime 1 and Prime 3, but it just isn't the same. I detest "dark samus" and the surrounding drab around it.

Hosokawa-san and Sakamoto-san.. give us Metroid Dread on the 3DS!!

apana

Shikamaru Ninja said:
Fusion and Zero Mission are the holy grail of Metroid. I like Prime 1 and Prime 3, but it just isn't the same. I detest "dark samus" and the surrounding drab around it.

Hosokawa-san and Sakamoto-san.. give us Metroid Dread on the 3DS!!

That's fine with me as long as they decide to do a reboot and have someone else approve the plot before they start the game. Maybe Retro can be in charge of supervising a game instead of the other way around.

Boney

Banned
apana said:
That's fine with me as long as they decide to do a reboot and have someone else approve the plot before they start the game. Maybe Retro can be in charge of supervising a game instead of the other way around.
01laugh.gif

Cranzor

I'm hoping for a 2D Metroid on the 3DS. I played Prime just recently and while I liked the first half, the second half just felt like a chore to me. I might've just been worn out on Metroid since I played Super and Fusion right before it but I feel no need to play the other two Prime games.

apana

I'm very interested in exploration. Going back to the theme of Samus as a youngster, I would like to see her crash land her space pod (after escaping Metroid attack) on an alien planet somewhere on the distant edges of the galaxy ane explore the planet. The story should be told through the experience and there should be extra content in the booklet or online for more engaged fans.

Zeal

Banned
i've said it before, but the series needs a complete reboot and reimagining at this point. i would seriously like a style that is realistic but still keeps science fiction elements. i think the visual style of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay would be perfect, and i would love Starbreeze to do it on unreal 3.

similar to Halo with nice platforming and action/third person elements thrown in.

Game Guru

Easy. Fire Sakamoto and let the folks at Retro make games for the universe from now on.

Retro has proven two things. First, they can make a 3D Metroid game with the Metroid Prime series. Second, they can make a 2D game as proven by Donkey Kong Country Returns. Give them relative creative freedom as far as the Metroid franchise is concerned.

It should be easy enough to expand the team so they could make Metroid Prime 4, Donkey Kong Country Returns 2, and a new 2D Metroid game, in addition to creating an original property for Nintendo.

Game Guru said:
Easy. Fire Sakamoto and let the folks at Retro make games for the universe from now on.

Retro has proven two things. First, they can make a 3D Metroid game with the Metroid Prime series. Second, they can make a 2D game as proven by Donkey Kong Country Returns. Give them relative creative freedom as far as the Metroid franchise is concerned.

It should be easy enough to expand the team so they could make Metroid Prime 4, Donkey Kong Country Returns 2, and a new 2D Metroid game, in addition to creating an original property for Nintendo.

There's no point in making these posts because Retro aren't working on the series anymore.

Top Bottom