• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Future of Metroid?

First things first - Metroid 2 remake - Same style as Zero Mission. For the 3DS. Include support for everything that happened in Zero Mission, Super, and Fusion. Make these 3 games 3DSware in the new engine. Make sure the engine is portable enough that all 4 can be released as Super Wiiware. Model the controls for Super Metroid after the Control Freak hack so it all matches up between that, Zero Mission, and Fusion.

All 4 games on one platform is a great first step.

Step 2 - A fifth traditional Metroid game - Follow the suggestion of dropping the space pirate and all. Minimalist story is a must too. Super Metroid style. This is a cartridge 3DS game. Same engine and control set as the 1-4 remakes.

Step 3 - Metroid Prime 4. It has to happen. New story set after Metroid 5. Super Wii title.

Step 4 - Goto Step 2.

Prime 2 don't need no sequence breaks. It's already the best Prime game.

And, once again, those who say the original is unplayable deserve a swift slap. One, because you don't understand what 'unplayable' means. And two, because it's a good game.

apana

I don't necessarily think story is bad in a metroid game, just lame story is horrible. That opening scene of Other M with Mother Brain was great.

apana

What do people mean by Nintendo lacks the "ability". They have the original designers plus talented new people around. Why would they lack the ability?

Cygnus X-1 said:
Remember that Retro is Nintendo.

Plus, as far as I know, the guys who made Zero Mission also still work for Nintendo. Even if you didn't like Other M, there is no reason to assume that they couldn't make an excellent 2D Metroid.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
_Alkaline_ said:
And, once again, those who say the original is unplayable deserve a swift slap. One, because you don't understand what 'unplayable' means. And two, because it's a good game.

Yeah, I really don't get how people think the original is unplayable. The thing I hear cited most is how there's no map, but I only beat the original for the first time a few years ago and the lack of a map didn't really bother me.

isny

napkin dispenser
Neon_Icarus said:
Plus, as far as I know, the guys who made Zero Mission also still work for Nintendo. Even if you didn't like Other M, there is no reason to assume that they couldn't make an excellent 2D Metroid.

Would Nintendo actually make another 2D Metroid though?

They seem to be fine with making 2D Kirby and Mario, but Zelda and Metroid seem to be dominated by 3D games. (Which may even get worse with the 3DS

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
was just watching a DEAD SPACE 2 review, with the perspective, and the floating around in space, thinking, "i would love to play a metroid game with that camera perspective, using that sense of aerial navigation for things like wall jumping and the screw attack, but with that trademark metroid world that gradually opens up."

isny said:

They seem to be fine with making 2D Kirby and Mario, but Zelda and Metroid seem to be dominated by 3D games. (Which may even get worse with the 3DS

I think if we are going to see a Metroid from Sakamoto and co. it will be 2D, and for the 3DS. Remember, Sakamoto originally wanted to make Other M 2D as well (only with 3D graphics).

A 2D Metroid would also likely be less expensive to make (or at least have lower expectations as far as production values go), which would be a prerequisite for another Metroid directed by Sakamoto after Other M bombed.

apana

isny said:

2D Metroid is the only possiblity, 3D Metroid is most likely dead unless Retro demands that they want to make another one.

thefro

Lost Fragment said:
Yeah, I really don't get how people think the original is unplayable. The thing I hear cited most is how there's no map, but I only beat the original for the first time a few years ago and the lack of a map didn't really bother me.

Back in the day we drew our own maps for Metroid and Zelda on graph paper.

The thing that's more annoying is that you start off with 30 energy and have to basically grind to that up. Of course, that works for the original in a way because it makes you really scared of dying or exploring too far out of the way.

isny

napkin dispenser
apana said:
2D Metroid is the only possiblity, 3D Metroid is most likely dead unless Retro demands that they want to make another one.

Hopefully. 2D Zelda, Metroid, Advance Wars, etc. would make the 3DS a must buy for me. They could just take the killer titles from the GBA and remake them and I'd be happy.

Back on topic though, if we do get new 2D Metroid, I would hope they would start with a Super Metroid remake. (If they don't already have something else in the pipeline)

I'm sure we'll get the 3DS Virtual Console Metroid II first though in all it's monochrome glory. (Just like Super Mario Land is being released)

thefro said:

The thing that's more annoying is that you start off with 30 energy and have to basically grind to that up. Of course, that works for the original in a way because it makes you really scared of dying or exploring too far out of the way.
I know the Playchoice 10 version had a partial map on the top screen in one of the pages of its manual. Its was interesting as it didn't show the Karid, Ridley or mother Brain areas and IIRC had ? for each bit that contained a secret. So it was kind of like having a few squares filled in (or how the Pokemon RB manual was basically a walkthrough up to Brock and had a partial Pokedex rounding it off). Shame that system was fairly impractical for Metroid sessions on.

As for the second point Zelda 1 also started you with 3 hearts but there was a fairy near the start point you could fully heal up on, I'd wonder if this is why subsequent Metroid games added in healing rooms.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
thefro said:

Yeah, that is annoying. The game's like 25 years old so it's definitely antiquated, but not so much so that it's unplayable. But to each his own, I guess. Back in MY day I beat Metroid 2 on the original monochrome GameBoy with no backlight, and goddammit, I liked it. So maybe I just have a high tolerance for user-unfriendliness.

Use the engine from Other M.
Make it a big unexplored planet that Samus has crashed on after Fusion.
Some big war happened here long ago that wiped out civilization, but some large force (MB, some previously unseen rival to the Space Pirates, etc) has set up camp here.

Samus has to get off the planet by finding/repairing a ship while defeating this new enemy. The topography of the outside resembles ruined cities from a civilization not too far advanced from our own (but this isn't Earth, fuck that cliche) so that it's alien but still familiar.

Who says drawing maps was something you did back in the days? I still do it!

Drew the entire map of Metroid during my playthrough up to Other M's release.

norfairfinal_l.jpg

Such an awesome game. Incredible how ahead of its time it was. While Super Metroid is the better game, Metroid 1 is much more revolutionary.

hikarutilmitt said:
Use the engine from Other M.
Make it a big unexplored planet that Samus has crashed on after Fusion.
Some big war happened here long ago that wiped out civilization, but some large force (MB, some previously unseen rival to the Space Pirates, etc) has set up camp here.

Samus has to get off the planet by finding/repairing a ship while defeating this new enemy. The topography of the outside resembles ruined cities from a civilization not too far advanced from our own (but this isn't Earth, fuck that cliche) so that it's alien but still familiar.

I would love this.

Emitan

3DS. Beautiful hand drawn sprites. Super Metroid style but larger. Takes place after Fusion. And atmospheric as shit. Say what you want about Fusion, but it nailed atmosphere just as well as Super. SA-X busting into a room is one of the most frightening and adrenaline pumping things to ever happen in a game. I want that atmosphere again. I want that fear.

apana

So nobody would like to see a reboot with kid Samus? I think the story could be done much better if started once again.

Gravijah

apana said:
So nobody would like to see a reboot with kid Samus? I think the story could be done much better if started once again.

Not really, no. Would focus too much on teh sturry and NPCs.

Gravijah said:
Not really, no. Would focus too much on teh sturry and NPCs.

Super Princess Samus

The story of a young girl whose parents were murdered in front of her by the space pirate Ridley. She is saved from a similar fate by the galaxy's most famous bounty hunters: Peach and Daisy. Their quest chasing the nefarious BOWSER (Bionic Outworld Weapon System: Existence Rescinder ) across the galaxy brought them to her by chance, but also by design of Mario, leader of an entire race of aliens known only as "The Plumbers". They raised her as they would a daughter, but soon were taken by agents of BOWSER. Samus joins the Galactic Federation, determined to find her "mothers", but only if Mario doesn't get there first...

Lost Fragment said:
Yeah, that is annoying. The game's like 25 years old so it's definitely antiquated, but not so much so that it's unplayable. But to each his own, I guess. Back in MY day I beat Metroid 2 on the original monochrome GameBoy with no backlight, and goddammit, I liked it. So maybe I just have a high tolerance for user-unfriendliness.

Mainly it's cumbersome and a little lacking in overall depth.

careful

After the success of Donkey Kong Country, it would make sense to give it back to Retro and see what they can do with a 2D Metroid.

celebi23

clemenx said:
Why the fuck there wasn't a Metroid 2D for the NDS? It blows my mind

I know. But about Metroid Dread: IIRC, it showed up on the same game list (before E3 2004/2005?) as Super Princess Peach. I would love another 2D Metroid game.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
is metroid 1's norfair the best-designed videogame 'world' ever? yes. until i think of something else. BUT IT'S UP THERE

Gravijah

GB had a metroid

GBC had none

GBA had TWO metroids

DS had 0 2D metroids

THAT MEANS WE ARE GETTING THREE 2D METROIDS!

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Gravijah said:
GB had a metroid

GBC had none

GBA had TWO metroids

DS had 0 2D metroids

Can we get a real Wario Land too?

Tomodachee Correctshun and Rhyyyythm Tengoooku... are good too though.

Gravijah said:
GB had a metroid

GBC had none

GBA had TWO metroids

DS had 0 2D metroids

I like maths, I like Metroid and I like this post.

Expanding the number-pattern-recognition to consoles:

NES had one Metroid

SNES had one Metroid

N64 had ZERO Metroids

Gamecube had two Metroids

Wii had two Metroids

Therefore, assuming the pattern holds:

Wii2 has ZERO METROIDS

Wii3D has THREE METROIDS

WiiMatrix has THREE METROIDS

Nintendolodeck has ZERO METROIDS

I think that's right.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i could say that norfair's repetitions help create its uncanny atmosphere and also tell you where its false blocks tend to be, turning hardware constraints into style and playability, but i prefer to question the credibility of anyone who can produce appropriate family guy clips off the top of his head

Hmm, a game with a focus on mystery and exploration for me. Throw in branching paths and difficulty to boot. Here's a three second idea. Have Samus visiting or responding to a distress call from what is supposed to be an archeological outpost. The outpost is built around alien ruins. When Samus lands, her ship is disabled so now she's stuck. She's has to figure a way off the rock, while also attempting to piece together what has happened. With only back up power the asteroids orbit is deteriorating, so the clock is ticking a la Majora's Mask. If you want to explore (scan everything) you can by yourself more time firing the asteroids emergency thrusters in different (hard to find) locations.

clemenx said:

There was. It just wasn't finished. It's probably still hanging around though. Either Sakamoto wasn't happy with it or Nintendo didn't see the point in going on with it.

drohne said:
is metroid 1's norfair the best-designed videogame 'world' ever? yes. until i think of something else. BUT IT'S UP THERE

I really like the original Metroid, but I can't see this. It has the most obscure solutions to progression, the most environment repetition and the bubble pillars of doom that can spell unavoidable death. I still like it because of its complexity, as well as its claustophobic atmosphere that is probably the best in the game, but I'm not going to excuse it for its rather common moments of tedium and bullshit.

apana

hikarutilmitt said:
Super Princess Samus

The story of a young girl whose parents were murdered in front of her by the space pirate Ridley. She is saved from a similar fate by the galaxy's most famous bounty hunters: Peach and Daisy. Their quest chasing the nefarious BOWSER (Bionic Outworld Weapon System: Existence Rescinder ) across the galaxy brought them to her by chance, but also by design of Mario, leader of an entire race of aliens known only as "The Plumbers". They raised her as they would a daughter, but soon were taken by agents of BOWSER. Samus joins the Galactic Federation, determined to find her "mothers", but only if Mario doesn't get there first...

Like I said earlier. A Metroid eats her Dad/Mom and she has to survive on her own while protecting her little sister. Just a 12 year old with a space gun staring down a horde of monsters. Intense!

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
_Alkaline_ said:
There was. It just wasn't finished. It's probably still hanging around though. Either Sakamoto wasn't happy with it or Nintendo didn't see the point in going on with it.

The game may not have been progressing smoothly or timely enough. Remember Tomodachi Collection took like 5 years to make. Sakamoto's team is very small. Come on Iwata. Transfer some more staff to Sakamoto's floor.

_Alkaline_ said:
I really like the original Metroid, but I can't see this. It has the most obscure solutions to progression, the most environment repetition and the bubble pillars of doom that can spell unavoidable death. I still like it because of its complexity, as well as its claustophobic atmosphere that is probably the best in the game, but I'm not going to excuse it for its rather common moments of tedium and bullshit.

I love classic Metroid. But out of the original 1986 R&D1 classics, I swear that Kid Icarus is the better game of the two. Metroid 1 and Zelda 1, are two games that are nostalgically embroided in greatness because of the masterpieces created later in their timeline. We all love Metroid 3 and Zelda 3, but the originals were designed for clairvoyant gamers with ESP. Much of the puzzle solving was just completely nonsensical and meant to be discovered by luck or cheating (friends, strategy guides, tiplines). But, don't get me wrong. Metroid 1 >>> Zelda 1 by a mile.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
clemenx said:

I'd always maintained that I would happily buy a DS if a classic Metroid title were to appear on the platform. It never did.

Metroid Dread on the 3DS, Nintendo.

drohne said:
i could say that norfair's repetitions help create its uncanny atmosphere and also tell you where its false blocks tend to be, turning hardware constraints into style and playability, but i prefer to question the credibility of anyone who can produce appropriate family guy clips off the top of his head

Nice ad hominem jab. I don't necessarily care for Family Guy that much. I just found it appropriate.

And the repetition for me was just plain dull. It's the type of thing that some of the handheld Metroidvanias in the CV series are criticized for, and they aren't anywhere near as bad about it.

Haven't read through the entire thread so I don't know if I've been beaten or not, but I think Metroid could use a change of setting. Gameplay is solid as far as I'm concerned, it just needs to look unique again. As far-fetched as it sounds (and is...), I wouldn't mind a Metroid game that takes place on earth. If that's too much for some to swallow, just make it an earth-like planet. You can only do "exotic" areas and space stations so many times.

RetroGreg

Mama Robotnik said:
I like maths, I like Metroid and I like this post.

Expanding the number-pattern-recognition to consoles:

NES had one Metroid

SNES had one Metroid

N64 had ZERO Metroids

Gamecube had two Metroids

Wii had two Metroids

Therefore, assuming the pattern holds:

Wii2 has ZERO METROIDS

Wii3D has THREE METROIDS

WiiMatrix has THREE METROIDS

Nintendolodeck has ZERO METROIDS

I think that's right.