• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Future of Metroid?

Osuwari

what i want is Metroid 5 and a remake of metroid 2 using super metroid's level design style (open ended), music and atmosphere and with Fusion/ZM's controls/physics (i hated SM's controls but everything else was very good. Fusion was too linear)

imo, the prime series should stay finished. mp3 showed that the formula doesn't have much more left in it. more of it would be just run it into then ground.

Other M's formula would benefit greatly from a much better controller and some tweaks in action and stripping it from the story/cutscenes. they tried to do too much different and controversial things at once and it backfired.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I'm cool with a woman that has a woman's body. Breast/Chest/Waist ratio isn't that wild. But I just finished watching Re: Cutie Honey so nobody should be trusting my opinion on women right now.

Now, as for the suit and overall style, I'm on board with the Zero-mission look.

etiolate

Banned
Shikamaru Ninja said:
It is very difficult being a developer and creating a famous franchise. The more difficult thing is maintaining the franchise as technology evolves, and different generations of fans come into the fanbase.

It is impossible to please everyone. The older the franchise is maintained, the more difficult it is to please all these different people with different preferences and dispositions.

Now. When entering a game forum. You just have to understand that most people thrive on making their arguments with hyperboles. Something is either amazing, or the worst piece of crap ever.

Zelda and Metroid are perfect examples of this. You have people who love Zelda 2, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and/or Majora's Mask. You have people who love Super Metroid, Metroid Prime, and/or Metroid: Other M. They have different appeals.

Other M had many features that should not have hit retail. The game was a product of having no one around to stop the team and say "This simply does not work. This sucks. WTF are people scanning for?" These elements are like giant ugly irrelevant paragraphs that devolve into boring chapters in a book. These are things to be edited out yet never were.

Stop making excuses for them. Your attitude allows problems to remain. These are not ugly babies that you tell the mother nice things about. They are games, subject to standards and consumer rejection, and this rejection can be entirely reasonable.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Shig said:
Y'know actually, I think something like MvC3's cel shading, with its heavy black shadows, would work pretty awesome with Metroid. See the artwork for Zero Mission for details.

makes sense, since mvc3 tries to replicate the look of american comics, and there's long been an american comics influence in metroid's promotional art. but i think the environment is more important than the characters in metroid, so a more neutral rendering style might be better for immersion

Chinner said:
wait, do people actually like samus's design?

I've never been big on the Zero Suit design, but I actually thought it didn't look bad in Other M.

Surprisingly the original Prime seems to have gotten it best in my eyes, but obviously that direction won't return.

Rafaelcsa

etiolate said:
Other M had many features that should not have hit retail. The game was a product of having no one around to stop the team and say "This simply does not work. This sucks. WTF are people scanning for?" These elements are like giant ugly irrelevant paragraphs that devolve into boring chapters in a book. These are things to be edited out yet never were.

Stop making excuses for them. Your attitude allows problems to remain. These are not ugly babies that you tell the mother nice things about. They are games, subject to standards and consumer rejection, and this rejection can be entirely reasonable.

The scanning is the problem? I think only one of the scans gave me a little trouble to find out... All others were fine. Is that really enough a reason to declare Other M a terrible game?

I get what the guy you quoted is saying. People have way too heavy feelings about this game. For most people on message boards, a game is either "the best ever", or at least the best in its franchise, or its downright terrible. There's no middleground. Come on guys, Other M was far from a bad, much less terrible game. For all its flaws, it did many things so well. They absolutely nailed Samus' movement in 3D, for one, and that's one of the most important things for this type of game.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
_Alkaline_ said:
Sadly I don't think we'll be seeing Metroid again for a while.
Last time this happened we got Fusion so if this is what it takes, I'm all for waiting.

Edit: And Metroid Prime, I guess.

I'd like to see Metroid, and Legend of Zelda for that matter, done in the style of New Super Mario Bros. A modern version of the classic formula, unmarred by misguided attempts at neo-egalitarianism with overly-limited/simplistic control schemes and no misguided attempts at cinematic story-telling. A new Super Metroid. 3D, 2D side-scrolling, maybe even some Klonoa-style 2.5D bits. Keep it old school, strip it back to Super Metroids roots where the "story" is told through what you experience while playing the game.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Chinner said:
2yzfsd0.jpg

redo samus. her current design is insulting.

I agree, knockers aren't big enough.

I would love a cell shaded Metroid game but with an adult art style and using the color palette found in Super Metroid.

As far as gameplay goes, I wouldn't mind going back to FPA at all, BUT without the whole scanning crap.

apana

The Samus look for Other M was very nice and all the proportions were appropriate. Team Ninja balanced a lot of important elements, I give them credit.

SamusOM2--article_image.jpg

220px-Zero_Suit_Samus_Other_M.png

mantidor

The giant breasts are out of place for someone supposedly athletic, but the rest is ok, except the ridiculous heels.

Hunters had the right version of the zero suit.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Appropriate proportions? Other M? looooooool

Other M Samus looks like a chubby chick wearing a really tight corset. They exaggerated the hourglass figure thing pretty hard.

Neiteio

I love two of Mama Robotnik's suggestions on the front page: Valve handling a 3D Metroid with complete creative freedom (what a wet dream -- and one Valve might accept if Nintendo gave them the chance), and a full-blown remake of Metroid II, complete with expanded insights into why the Chozo created the Metroid.

In fact, for the Metroid II remake, ideally it'd be for Wii HD/Wii Plus/Super Wii, and boast a 2.5D view rendered in the dark "comic book art" style of Marvel vs. Capcom 3.

In other words, imagine this:

Standing%20Samus.jpg

Rendered like this:

marvel-vs-capcom-3-wesker-header-600px.jpg

It's a perfect way to bring the stellar art of Zero Mission to life in HD 3D. :)

I don't usually post in Metroid threads so I'm not sure if I missed something.

When did Fusion become a good game? All the things that made Other M a shitty game were there.

Forced linearity? Check.
Constant blather from Samus/other characters? Check.
Unskippable cutscenes? Check.

I'd go so far as to say that's were the rot set in the franchise.

As to samus' look. I've never understood how Retro could go from the well animated face of Prime 1 to the bottle blond LEGO hair & plastic face of 2.

AniHawk

GrotesqueBeauty said:
She's also 6'3", which makes Anthony Higgs approximately 10 feet tall. :p
It's the future. People from 1000 years ago were a good 2 feet shorter on average, so it makes sense.

apana

Lost Fragment said:
Appropriate proportions? Other M? looooooool

Other M Samus looks like a chubby chick wearing a really tight corset. They exaggerated the hourglass figure thing pretty hard.

Perhaps your standards are too high. No one would look perfect in a zero suit, I'm sure Samus is trying her best.

Osuwari

Henchmen21 said:

When did Fusion become a good game? All the things that made Other M a shitty game were there.

Forced linearity? Check.

i think you missed the part where Fusion has way better atmosphere and controls and the lack of a stupid plot device to take away her weapons (the way they took them away there is the most credible one in the series so far).
also, the blather between samus and the computer (the only extra character) happens at the very end. most of their early interaction is just the comp giving her directions.
unskippable dialogue isn't cutscenes and the game doesn't have many cutscenes at all. it still sucks but lasts much less (and other M's cutscenes become skippable after beating the game once)

Henchmen21 said:
As to samus' look. I've never understood how Retro could go from the well animated face of Prime 1 to the bottle blond LEGO hair & plastic face of 2.

that's nintendo forcing the zero suit look everywhere since ZM. i guarantee that if nintendo didn't come up with that idea, mp1 samus' model would have been in the whole trilogy.

Henchmen21 said:

Forced linearity? Check.

A game can be good even if it doesn't fulfil all the requirements set out by Metroid fundamentalists.

It would be nice if people looked at these games for what they are, instead of just at how well they succeed in remaking Super/Prime.

Garcia

I really don't care what they do next, be it either 2D, 2.5D, 3D, 1st person, 3rd person, whatever they choose I'm ok with.

But for the love of all things in this world leave Yoshio Sakamoto miles away from the story and scripting of the game.

apana

The worst thing about Other M is the sales. It really under performed. The result is that Metroid is no longer a franchise on the level of Mario and Zelda for Nintendo. I think Donkey Kong has easily taken that spot. A future without 3D metroid games is depressing.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Henchmen21 said:

Forced linearity? Check.

Metroid Fusion is one of my FAVORITE Metroid games. It has a rating of 92 on Metacritic. How on earth is it debatable that it is anything but a good game?

Fusion was more linear, but it was also a game that focused on action and features the best collection of bad ass bosses. Sakamoto gave us Zero Mission and Fusion. One was more traditional exploration, and one was more action. I think that is an awesome combination of Metroids.

apana said:
The worst thing about Other M is the sales. It really under performed. The result is that Metroid is no longer a franchise on the level of Mario and Zelda for Nintendo. I think Donkey Kong has easily taken that spot. A future without 3D metroid games is depressing.

It never was.

apana

The question is can Sakamoto deliver some sort of breakthrough that will ressurect Metroid. I think Miyamoto was responsible for the idea of the visor/showing the world through the eyes of Samus. That was the last major innovation and it resulted in the best selling and most praised Metroid yet.

apana

_Alkaline_ said:
It never was.

When it was selling close to 1.5 million they at least had an excuse to keep making big budget Metroid games. 2D Metroid is still possible but a big budget 3D metroid is unlikely. My Celtroid vision will never reach fruition.

apana said:

I don't think Metroid has ever been a big franchise for Nintendo. It's just a big franchise for tir core fans. Prime, which is one of the best selling in the series, only managed about 2.5 million. Such sales would have been disastrous for a mainline Mario or Zelda title.

Either Nintendo has been making Metroid games because they think that there is potential in the series to create mainstream hits (thus more emphasis on storytelling ever since Fusion, more linearity...) or they feel that is necessary to keep their core fanbase happy and bring some older core gamers to their consoles.

apana said:
Metroid was never on the level of Mario or Zelda anyways. The games have always been more core oriented, and the sales have reflected that.

And the main reason Other M probably underperformed was everyone said it was awful. The game had awful word of mouth when it came out, and it's only gotten worse since. It's why I still haven't bought it and I'm a huge Metroid fan.

apana

Neon_Icarus said:
I don't think Metroid has ever been a big franchise for Nintendo. It's just a big franchise for tir core fans. Prime, which is one of the best selling in the series, only managed about 2.5 million. Such sales would have been disastrous for a mainline Mario or Zelda title.

Either Nintendo has been making Metroid games because they think that there is potential in the series to create mainstream hits (thus more emphasis on storytelling ever since Fusion, more linearity...) or they feel that is necessary to keep their core fanbase happy and bring some older core gamers to their consoles.

Yeah but at least 3D Metroid made some nice profit for Nintendo, I don't think its possible any longer. 2D isn't dead though.

tiff

Banned
Osuwari said:
that's nintendo forcing the zero suit look everywhere since ZM. i guarantee that if nintendo didn't come up with that idea, mp1 samus' model would have been in the whole trilogy.
It's not the idea itself that's bad, Retro just tried to do this halfway cartoony look with her that didn't at all fit with the aesthetics of the Prime games.

apana

The best thing about the Other M look is that it balances Japanese and Western features really well. You can't put her into a specific race but she doesn't look like a freak. I will admit though that Prime 1 is the most realistic depiction of Samus as a soldier. The Other M Samus looks more like a naughty school teacher.

gunstarhero

I wouldn't mind seeing Metroid return and expand on the Prime formula, but would LOVE if they brought it back to it's 2D roots on a home console.

Both options would be awesome - since I feel they both represented the non linear adventure/exploration gameplay that made the franchise.

Chalk Other M as a side story or dream sequence and let us never speak of it again. :)

Chinner

Banned
apana said:
The Samus look for Other M was very nice and all the proportions were appropriate. Team Ninja balanced a lot of important elements, I give them credit.

]http://static.gamesradar.com/images/mb/GamesRadar/us/Games/M/Metroid%20Other%20/Everything%20Else/Samus%20underwear/SamusOM2--article_image.jpg[/IMG]

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/4c/Zero_Suit_Samus_Other_M.png/220px-Zero_Suit_Samus_Other_M.png][/QUOTE]
The zero suit Samus design is pretty fucking horrible. If you want to take this game seriously, which Other M attempts to do, then it's just really offensive in general. Samus is basically Nintendo's Lara Croft; Big tits, big arse with perfect skin and hair. Then you get Other M which basically makes Samus into a emotionally retarded moron who falls apart at the first sign of danger and needs to be saved by a man.

Obviously theres a intentional double standard. Nintendos trying to appeal to the hardcore fanbase, yet make sure that the Nintendo babbys are getting erections in an attempt to fix Japan's falling birth rates.

apana

Chinner said:
The zero suit Samus design is pretty fucking horrible. If you want to take this game seriously, which Other M attempts to do, then it's just really offensive in general. Samus is basically Nintendo's Lara Croft; Big tits, big arse with perfect skin and hair. Then you get Other M which basically makes Samus into a emotionally retarded moron who falls apart at the first sign of danger and needs to be saved by a man.

Obviously theres a intentional double standard. Nintendos trying to appeal to the hardcore fanbase, yet make sure that the Nintendo babbys are getting erections in an attempt to fix Japan's falling birth rates.

Of course because there is no better way to reach the Japanese then through a Metroid game.

Gravijah

So, it's been a while and my Metroid lore skillz suck but I thought Samus got all disfigured in Fusion because of the other suit fusing to her and stuff?

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Easy:

Have Retro continue with the FPA style.
<3

Retro, make it 1080p @ 60fps in Nintendo's next console please.
Chinner said:
Samus is basically Nintendo's Lara Croft; Big tits, big arse with perfect skin and hair.
I can't believe I'm agreeing with you. I feel like I'm trolling myself.

steveovig

2D Metroid on the Wii or Wii2. I won't accept anything else as every other platformer series has had a 2D romp this generation except Metroid.

tiff

Banned
Gravijah said:
So, it's been a while and my Metroid lore skillz suck but I thought Samus got all disfigured in Fusion because of the other suit fusing to her and stuff?
IIRC at least some part of her suit was grafted to her but it was surgically removed and then they gave her the Fusion one.

She looked fine in the ending screens, for what it's worth.

Gravijah

Legendary Warrior said:
IIRC at least some part of her suit was grafted to her but it was surgically removed and then they gave her the Fusion one.

She looked fine in the ending screens, for what it's worth.

Boo, I want fucked up looking Samus.

apana said:
Yeah but at least 3D Metroid made some nice profit for Nintendo, I don't think its possible any longer. 2D isn't dead though.

I still believe that the main reason why Other M flopped so bad was the Wii userbase. Look at how much less SMG2 sold compared to the original. And that is a franchise that appeals to the casuals...

I'm sure that at least another Prime-style game from Retro would sell very nicely early on in Wii2's lifespan. I'm sure Nintendo is smart enough to see that. However, we won't see another one with the high production values of Other M any time soon.

I think the Metroid's (THE BABY) DNA or whatever saved her. The Metroid antibiotic (?) fought back the X virus which was fused with her suit which was fused to her skin I guess. So the Metroid in Samus allows the X suit to act like her old suit. At least that's how I understood it.

Osuwari

apparently, getting back all your items will erase any trace of scars and disfigurement.

also, Other M didn't even sell more than mp1 in japan. when your game fails to beat a First person style game in japan, it is time to hit the panic button.

Top Bottom