• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Future of Metroid?

apana said:
-Celtroid: Toon shaded 3D Metroid a la Wind Waker. Complete with cute monsters and everything. Made by Aonuma and Koizumi.
And I thought my Paper Metroid idea (it was just Paper Mario but in the Metroid universe) was crazy...maybe the two ideas can fuse.

Dark Ninja Its over guys Metroid is the new Starfox no more games for a while
[sarcasm]And its the faults of everyone who hated on Other M and didn't make a million million seller. Curse you people for buying Donkey Kong instead![/sarcasm]
I seriously did see people saying things along those lines...in a sense a good break is sometimes what a franchise needs.

That said it brings up an interesting point. Other Ms storyline is despised. Starfox Commands gameplay is despised and so is the storyline if you don't realise it is a soap opera parody (at least I hope its parody from what I've read).

topramen

Metroid: Arkham Asylum

Really rocksteady should do it. No excuse for them not to. Following arkham city they could work on metroid dread and release it as a launch or near launch title for wii 2. I think a HD version made by a western dev would do a lot to bring the series back into the limelight. At this point metroid should be a western developed game, the franchise is dead in japan and continuing with Japanese developers might alienate the dwindling western fanbase

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
The biggest problems with Other M were the controls, the story and the scanning moments. Other than that, it was fantastic game that made a lot of improvements to the 2D formula as well as the action genre. All of this can be fixed if they take heed to what gamers were unhappy with. I think there will be another 2D Metroid but the question is when. If I were a betting man, I'd wager that Sakamoto wants to rectify his wrong with the fans of the series which means we could be seeing it sooner rather than later. I also think it will more than likely be on 3DS. As a fan of the 2D Metroid formula, I'm going to buy Dead or Alive on 3DS. If enough people buy it, hopefully it will send a message that the fans of the series still want another game.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Shig said:
Y'know actually, I think something like MvC3's cel shading, with its heavy black shadows, would work pretty awesome with Metroid. See the artwork for Zero Mission for details.

samus_zero-mission.jpg
Get out of my head. Now.

Somewhere, in an alternative universe, Echoes is cel-shaded and is the most atmospheric, dread-inducing and acclaimed action-adventure game known to mankind.

Grecco

How hard would it be to make either a New 2D or a remake of Metroid 2 game using sprite graphics ala Megaman 10? Thats what id prefer. Make it downloadable on WiiWare/3DS E shop

Krowley

I think they should do another Metroid prime style game for 3DS. The 3D effect will make first person platforming even easier and more fun than it was in the first two games. I don't know who would make it though because I'm not sure if retro still has the same caliber of designers anymore.

I'm just a big fan of the prime series, and I would like to return to that kind of quality.

Replace Masterchief with Samus. Have her speak minimally "Affirmative." "Yes, captain."

Throw in some classic Metroid puzzle/exploration elements.

Profit!?

I'd like to see Retro take it back for Metroid Prime 4 (but call it something else) or a nice, 2D sprite based game for 3DS. I'm about 8 hours into Other M (but much further behind where most people likely were at this point). I can't decide if I hate it more than I like it at the moment. I can't stand the switch to point for missiles though. This game severely needed the nunchuck setup.

I find it kind of odd we got to page 4 without this being posted in regards to what the future of Metroid should be.

Grecco said:
How hard would it be to make either a New 2D or a remake of Metroid 2 game using sprite graphics ala Megaman 10? Thats what id prefer. Make it downloadable on WiiWare/3DS E shop
Simply put Nintendo don't handle those shops with a "let's put major projects on here" mentality more of an "let's experiment with things" (it could be due to the fact of not wanting to destroy any chances 3rd parties have of sales like VC). Also reading this post had Yoshis Island DS come to mind only replace Yoshi's Island with Metroid but the same principle of it feeling like a bit of a hardtype fanhack.
That almost sounds like a thread in itself why did Mega Man 9/10 get accepted and loved while Yoshi's Island DS was ridiculed and even called an imposter (I'd guess the answer lies in face Artoon added too many new things and/or deviated from the originals style, that it is, its acceptable for Mega Man to be hardtype as thats what it is, Yoshi on the other hands spectrum practically goes as low as Kirby's Epic Yarn easy)

apana

Retro needs to be expanded, there are a lot of people looking for work right now. Maybe Nintendo should buy Armature and make that Retro 2. We need one Retro for 3D games and one for 2D games.

Azure J

You know, the one true solution would be a "Paper Metroid" like game that'd taking potshots at the fandom for their constantly mixed expectations. Samus would be a ditzy airhead sent on missions to keep her from fucking shit up at HQ, she'd monologue to herself constantly while running through rooms, whenever she gets/rediscovers a new ability she'd be all "found you again!" implying that she does this to keep herself entertained, when she starts a speed booster she'd moonwalk at top speed making airplane noises and it'd just be a game of how much dickery Sakamoto & friends could get away with while at the same time making the best Metroid ever. I'd love to see what would happen if the fans got introduced to a self parody at that level.

For added laughs, Ridley is the only other voiced character and he sounds like Snively Whiplash (or he randomly pops in and out of places giving the Muttley laugh to the player out of Samus' sight) and you play the entire game Justin Bailey mode until the end when you get your suit back. :p

Edit: MvC3 style heavy shadowing and cel-shading in a 2D or 3D Metroid game would be the sexiest shit ever. Fact.

eXistor

Mama Robotnik' s little overview of what he thinks the next Metroid should be is so close to what I had in mind it's almost creepy. Needless to say: I fully agree. I want an unexplored planet, I want isolation, I want to be able to somewhat go where I please.
Also, I don't understand modern videogames' need to go with 2.5D. It's so obvious to me that sprites are so much more pleasing to the eye and generally offer much better control in terms of accuracy. Super Metroid did everything right, but we' ve never actually gotten a game truly like it since, they've just broken something that was in no need of fixing. Nothing against Metroid Prime 1 and 2 though, those games are stone-cold classics, though I' ve never gotten the love for Zero Mission. It was good, but certainly no masterpiece, not even close.

apana

eXistor said:
Mama Robotnik' s little overview of what he thinks the next Metroid should be is so close to what I had in mind it's almost creepy. Needless to say: I fully agree. I want an unexplored planet, I want isolation, I want to be able to somewhat go where I please.
Also, I don't understand modern videogames' need to go with 2.5D. It's so obvious to me that sprites are so much more pleasing to the eye and generally offer much better control in terms of accuracy. Super Metroid did everything right, but we' ve never actually gotten a game truly like it since, they've just broken something that was in no need of fixing. Nothing against Metroid Prime 1 and 2 though, those games are stone-cold classics, though I' ve never gotten the love for Zero Mission. It was good, but certainly no masterpiece, not even close.

It looks modern with 2.5D. People like to think that whatever they are playing cost a lot to make and is a big budget platformer, 2.5D seems to give that impression. Maybe GAF has grown tired of it, but the mainstream has not. Also please post pics showing why regular old 2D is better than 2.5D, I'd really like to see it.

apana

SquirrelNuckle said:
HD Metroid Prime on next Nintendo system.

I'm as big a fan of metroid prime as anybody else but I'm not sure what this would accomplish. Retro doesn't want to do it and Prime already looks good on Gamecube and Wii.

Rolf NB

Metroid should go to the 3DS, back to 2(.5)D mechanics, and back to a more expressive control scheme.

I love me some Prime, but it feels like that avenue is well played out and needs another few years of rest.

HYDE

Banned
SpacLock said:
Metroid needs to go away for awhile.

This is coming from someone who's one of the biggest Metroid fans in the universe.

Dead Space is where it's at for now.

Fuck you.

We didn't even get one Metroid DS game, but we got 3 Castlevanias.
Hell even GBA got 2 Metroid games, and 3 Castlevanias.

I think it's alright and inline to envision a 2D game for 3DS (whether it be a Metroid 2 remake, or a new one like Fusion, or better yet, both).

Only thing I can agree on is 3D Metroid can go away for awhile....unless Retro wanted it back.

Hell, I'd even be okay with Nintendo or Retro doing a 2.5D one for Wii.

Tucah

you speak so well
With Retro off the series, and Other M's relatively lukewarm response, I doubt we'll see Metroid again for a while. If we do, I hope it's a 2D Metroid for 3DS.

And NO to that cell-shaded Metroid idea. That's the exact opposite of what I want from the series.

HYDE

Banned
Tucah said:
With Retro off the series, and Other M's relatively lukewarm response, I doubt we'll see Metroid again for a while. If we do, I hope it's a 2D Metroid for 3DS.

And NO to that cell-shaded Metroid idea. That's the exact opposite of what I want from the series.

Cell shade idea for Mario could work, but for Metroid stay the fuck away.

iirate

I really like what was said earlier about building upon Super Metroid in a way similar to how it built on the original Metroid. No narration, complete isolation, and expansive caverns are a good place to start.

Instead of strong black shadows and a cel shaded style, how about a hand drawn comic style with subdued shading, strong attention to detail, and a colorful, alien pallete? I'm thinking something similar to Sam Kieth's version of hell from the beginning of Gaiman's Sandman. Add a really stylistic flair to Samus' animations and abilities as I believe that could really work in the games favor of adding the main characters mystique. I don't mean making her do everything in an over-the-top fashion either; in fact almost the opposite. Instead, animate her in a way that really accentuates her nature as a cold bounty hunter(as well as building upon her mysterious mythology) with slightly stiff and unnatural movments.

Save the over-stylized effects for the suits more extravagant powers. For example, Shinespark could kick up an impressive amount of brightly colored dust and pull the camera back as she launches herself through cavern walls and enemies. Something like Crystal Flash could also send out a shockwave at the end, obliterating enemies in a way similar to the Power Bomb.

I think it is also important to stay away from context-sensitive actions. I don't have the hatred for Other M that some fans do (even if I agree with mostly every criticism, aside from those about the first person switching and controls), but I definitely think that adding such actions simply serves to pull the player out of character. Valve's philosophy of not taking control away should apply here, as I believe it can be really helpful in creating immersion.

JadedOne

AzureJericho said:
You know, the one true solution would be a "Paper Metroid" like game that'd taking potshots at the fandom for their constantly mixed expectations. Samus would be a ditzy airhead sent on missions to keep her from fucking shit up at HQ, she'd monologue to herself constantly while running through rooms, whenever she gets/rediscovers a new ability she'd be all "found you again!" implying that she does this to keep herself entertained, when she starts a speed booster she'd moonwalk at top speed making airplane noises and it'd just be a game of how much dickery Sakamoto & friends could get away with while at the same time making the best Metroid ever. I'd love to see what would happen if the fans got introduced to a self parody at that level.

For added laughs, Ridley is the only other voiced character and he sounds like Snively Whiplash (or he randomly pops in and out of places giving the Muttley laugh to the player out of Samus' sight) and you play the entire game Justin Bailey mode until the end when you get your suit back. :p

Ok....I want to play this really bad right now :(. Damn you!

apana

I think people are being too reactionary about the toon shading (cel shaded) idea. Zelda has a lot of serious and moody moments as well. Some of the dungeons are very creepy, cel shading didn't destroy that at all. In some cases it actually helped. Wind Waker has some of the most serious and epic moments in the Zelda series.

Alex

Third person Super/Prime-type with no visor swapping or scanning and more platforming and exploration. Work even more on the mood and isolation-like feel from it and Super.

In a more realistic scenario; nothing. They'll, for my tastes, probably never really get Metroid right again.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
The next Metroid game will indoubtedly be for the 3DS, and more likely a traditional and less risky sequel in the franchise. The Metroid team is going to have to deliver a very traditional and kick ass game to restore the doubting skeptics.

As far as a console Metroid. I don't see one anytime soon. The Wii already has Metroid Prime 3, Metroid Prime Trilogy, and Metroid: Other M.

Gravijah

--2D Metroid on 3DS

--No dialog. Notes and scans detailing the world/ship/etc you are on found along the way.

--Ability to tackle the world however you please. Maybe scale the enemies and bosses based on your equipment level so you can't power through certain places.

--Isolation. You are alone. No NPCs.

Just a few of the things I want.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Gravijah said:
--2D Metroid on 3DS

No dialog. Notes and scans detailing the world/ship/etc you are on found along the way.

Scanning on a 2D Metroid game? Are you out of your mind? That's herecy. It completely destroys the way Samus should traverse in her acrobratic run and gun glory.

Isolation. You are alone. No NPCs.

You need a dying scientist somewhere. NPCs right before they die because of a killer Metroid virus or some monster eating them.

Gravijah

Shikamaru Ninja said:
Scanning on a 2D Metroid game? Are you out of your mind? That's herecy. It completely destroys the way Samus should traverse in her acrobratic run and gun glory.

Doesn't have to be scanning. Notes, computers along the way, anything. I love optional backstory.

apana

Metroid needs a complete reboot I think, start the story from the beggining. Samus is a little girl on a space colony and Metroids attack and eat her Dad/Mom. She picks up a space gun and has to protect her little sister as they escape their now Metroid infested homeworld.

loosus

Banned
Metroid is one of the most fucked-up series I've ever played.

I hated the original Metroid, thought Metroid II was not great but a step in the right direction, enjoyed Super Metroid, enjoyed Metroid Prime, hated Metroid Prime 2, couldn't get into Metroid Prime 3, despised Metroid Fusion, loved Metroid Zero Mission, and wanted to break skulls because of the shittiness of Metroid Other M.

So, Metroid for me is truly a rollercoaster. With the recent quality of its games, it's definitely at one of its lowest points for me right now. I don't think I've ever gotten so close to writing it off as Sonic-level fodder and just assuming that the games I liked in the series were flukes.

I'll tell you what people want. Super Metroid. Over and over again. Metroid Zero Mission, Super Metroid, and Metroid Prime were at their very core very similar. Only the above 3 are universally liked because they followed the same formula. The Super Metroid fomula.

Any slight change to the formula results in massive rage as even evidenced by Metroid Prime 2 and Metroid Prime 3. Metroid Prime Hunters got a lot of hate, and so did Fusion (to a lesser extent). Of course, Metroid Other M sent Metroid fans into a frenzy.

Metroid fans are like the opposite of Zelda fans. While Zelda fans are always asking for the formula to change, Metroid fans want the formula to always stay the same. Now I'm not saying all of these games are absolutely amazing (on its own merits, Hunters is mediocre), and I'm not saying the Super Metroid formula is bad... but the amount of exaggeration that goes into the descriptions of games when they dont meet their standards is ridiculous. They are all at least solid games, I always SMH whenever I hear words like "abomination" to describe these games.

I know many of you will bite my head off, but thats just my take on it. You'll learn to love games more when you learn to stop having ridiculous expectations for them.

My 2 cents.

Mdk7

Anything but a sequel to Other M or the cel shaded idea suggested in the OP.

The best thing would be some years of pause, and mind Metroid is probably my favorite Nintendo franchise.

Pyrokai

I will never understand the Other M hate. Ever. Never, ever, never, ever ever ever ever. Especially everyone who "ragequit" it or whatever. At least play the whole damn game.

loosus

Banned
Pyrokai said:
I will never understand the Other M hate. Ever. Never, ever, never, ever ever ever ever. Especially everyone who "ragequit" it or whatever. At least play the whole damn game.
Yeah, I can't understand why anybody would quit playing a game they obviously don't like.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
It is very difficult being a developer and creating a famous franchise. The more difficult thing is maintaining the franchise as technology evolves, and different generations of fans come into the fanbase.

It is impossible to please everyone. The older the franchise is maintained, the more difficult it is to please all these different people with different preferences and dispositions.

Now. When entering a game forum. You just have to understand that most people thrive on making their arguments with hyperboles. Something is either amazing, or the worst piece of crap ever.

Zelda and Metroid are perfect examples of this. You have people who love Zelda 2, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and/or Majora's Mask. You have people who love Super Metroid, Metroid Prime, and/or Metroid: Other M. They have different appeals.

apana

Shikamaru Ninja said:
It is very difficult being a developer and creating a famous franchise. The more difficult thing is maintaining the franchise as technology evolves, and different generations of fans come into the fanbase.

It is impossible to please everyone. The older the franchise is maintained, the more difficult it is to please all these different people with different preferences and dispositions.

Now. When entering a game forum. You just have to understand that most people thrive on making their arguments with hyperboles. Something is either amazing, or the worst piece of crap ever.

Zelda and Metroid are perfect examples of this. You have people who love Zelda 2, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and/or Majora's Mask. You have people who love Super Metroid, Metroid Prime, and/or Metroid: Other M. They have different appeals.

Lets not put everything in the same category. You can find people who love anything, even serial killers.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Chinner said:
2yzfsd0.jpg

redo samus. her current design is insulting.
Chinner said:
wait, do people actually like samus's design?
Personally, I'm not a fan of that design. Before actually getting an elaborate 3D model, Samus to me was always a blonde version of Ripley.

Top Bottom