• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G/A/F - Woman Shot by Mom in Home, Dad Calls 911, Doesn't Mention Shooting, is a Cop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syriel

Step-Dad = Saint Cloud Police Officer
Mom = 911 Dispatcher
Daughter = Paraprofessional at Neptune Elementary School

St. Cloud Police Cpl. Claude Campbell, Jr. placed a breathless 911 call late Tuesday evening as his step-daughter lay unconscious in his 10th Street home.

He tells the dispatcher that 27-year-old Ashley Doby has "passed out. She has a pacemaker. She has a heart problem," in a recording released by police.

But not once during the five-minute 911 call does Campbell, a veteran member of the St. Cloud Police Department, mention why Doby was struggling to breathe: a gunshot wound to the chest.

Campbell omitted that fact because he was asleep when his wife shot Doby, mistaking her for an intruder, police said on Wednesday. He didn't realize what happened until his wife — a 911 dispatcher with the Osceola County Sheriff's Office – explained it to him, according to authorities.

It was too late. Doby was taken to a local hospital, where she later died. Her death is being characterized by St. Cloud Police as an "accidental shooting," according to Sgt. Denise Roberts. Sherry Campbell, 45, fired one fatal shot. She has not been arrested on any criminal charges.

Police have said the victim was entering the house late Tuesday. They said she lived at the home but had been away recently, visiting family in North Carolina.

The girl’s mother, who is an Osceola County dispatcher, was convinced someone was breaking into the home, so she retrieved a semi-automatic pistol and fired it, hitting her daughter. The gun involved in the shooting was not the officer's duty weapon, police said.

The 27-year-old was taken to Osceola Regional Hospital, where she died.

The mother is being monitored in a hospital.

In a 911 call, the undercover officer told the dispatcher he was asleep when the shooting happened and thought his wife’s daughter fell on the ground because of a heart condition. He did not mention a gunshot.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...ally-shot-killed-daughter-20151230-story.html

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/police-mother-shoots-kills-daughter-after-mistakin/nptHY/

I'm not sure how one sleeps though a gunshot in the same room and doesn't see the blood that would result from someone getting shot.

I'm also not sure why something like this should be classified as an "accidental shooting." The shooting itself was quite intentional.

If anything, it sounds like it should be a "negligent shooting," especially because the shooter obviously had not identified the target in any way, shape or form.

You don't just go firing a gun blindly unless you're a complete idiot. And if she really did think an intruder was in the house, why didn't she wake up her husband?

Dennis

Banned
The girl’s mother, who is an Osceola County dispatcher, was convinced someone was breaking into the home, so she retrieved a semi-automatic pistol and fired it, hitting her daughter.

Some people should just not ever have guns.

Blasting away without certain knowledge who you are shooting at.

Anywhere but America that is an automatic homicide verdict.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Really poor G/A/F.

You realise 911 isn't the emergency number for every country ever right?

Edit: and "mom" too! Lol

I can't even begin to imagine what it must feel to shoot your own daughter by mistake thinking she's a intruder.

Why did she had to shoot first instead of giving a warning? Why didn't she at the very least look at who she assumed was the intruder? Either way, the regret she's probably feeling right now, which will last for the rest of her days, is most definitely worst than whatever sentence she could have gotten from it.

A bit more direct: At least have the decency to look at what you're shooting and if it's any threat to you before pulling the trigger you fucking monster.

Syriel

Really poor G/A/F.

You realise 911 isn't the emergency number for every country ever right?

Realized that after I posted, but too late to edit the thread title.

Still, thought it was worthwhile given that we seem to be failing to actually have a gun debate in America.

I'm not one who wants to ban guns in any way, but I do wonder why so many shootings are considered "accidents" rather than "negligence."

"Well I'll be damned if someone breaks into my home and threatens my family!"

Jumping at the opportunity.

Tragic all around.

Yagharek

Tragic that a woman shoots her own child in fear. The whole situation is fucked. Feeling the need to do it, having the means to do it, and the complete denial about it happening afterwards.

Another senseless loss of life.

This could have been easily avoided, but fear culture attacks again.

I refuse to believe that he did not know his daughter was shot. It is delusional to believe otherwise.

Zaventem

Some people should just not ever have guns.

Blasting away without certain knowledge who you are shooting at.

Anywhere but America that is an automatic homicide verdict.

For real. Why would you let off a shot without knowing what/who you're shooting at?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom