• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G.A.M.E. 4.0 - Chiptunes/Retro SEXPLOSION!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
**NOTE: TRACK SUBMISSIONS DUE JANUARY 20 2009**

Welcome to the planning thread for Gaming Art Musica Electronia's fourth full release!

2jes2th.jpg

Image courtesy of the unfairly talented m0dus.

On this one we're going for a chiptunes feel - we're talking 8/16-bit era audio and earlier (now's your chance to write the epic Vic 20 drum n' bass opera you've always dreamed of) - and also allowing retro electronica, as long as it fits in with the theme. The main thing is that these old-school sounds are the centrepiece of your work, they don't have to be the entirety of it. If you want to throw in a wicked bassline that would melt a Sega Genesis' Z-80 if it tried it, go for it as long as it works within the larger context.

Anybody is welcome to join at any ability level using any kind of equipment (while we're going for an electronic feel, there are all kinds of ways to achieve that which don't involve computers), all we care about is that you do your best, use this project to evolve as a musician, and work within the overarching theme. Even if the theme's not your thing, take that as a challenge to expand your repertoire. You might learn a trick or two that works well with what your main musical focus is.

MAKING THE TRACKS

If you're looking for a way to get those old school sounds, any FM synth will give you that ripping machine type buzz you got from a Genesis (the type of electro stuff Justice et al are doing now), and most analogue Moog-style synths can do a good impression of an 8-bit sound generator.

Even if you only have a Nintendo DS you can get involved with the Korg DS-10, a full blown old-school Korg synth that runs on your DS!

KORG DS-10 article at Engadget

You can buy it online at Amazon if you can't find it at your local Gamestop.

If you want to cut to the chase, this site is the motherlode of chiptune VSTs - instrument plug-ins that are designed to sound exactly like a sound set from an NES or other early consoles - they even have names like "Triforce":

TWEAKBENCH.COM

If you're feeling absurdly hard core, there are still modulation apps available that mimic an Amiga, check this out:

AMIGA TRACKERS

HELPFUL LINKS FOR MUSICIANS:
(Thanks to Mr. Nash)

Discussion on Mixdowns and EQing
All about Equalizing
Mastering and Bass Mixdown for 4/4 Hard-Dance music
Side Chaining tutorial

So if you want in, just post! The more the merrier, there's no track limit in the world of digital distribution.

I won't be the one taking charge of coordination here, Monchi's volunteered for that if FightyF's busy, but I can certainly maintain the OP.

RELEASE DATE: To be determined

LIST OF CONTRIBUTORS: (post and I'll add you here)

LiveFromKyoto
Monchi-Kun
pixelated
alistairw
SpacLock
DopeyFish
btkadams
shagg_187
Albino_Samurai
piranha1
Bit-Bit
E-phonk
Fusebox
blu
m0dus
SDZeta
WindBelow
Trip Warhawkins
Brapscallion
Mark D
garcia
Dark Octave
Mr_Appleby
Broseybrose
Slizz
Fabiollo

TRACKS DUE JANUARY 20th 2009

THE PROCESS FOR SUBMITTING TRACKS IS AS FOLLOWS:
(Taken from 3.0's thread because it works)

1) Forward your song information to Monchi-Kun via PM (with "G.A.M.E. 4.0 Song Submission" in the subject line). We will need:

Artist Name This may be different than your GAF handle
Song Name
GAF Handle: even if same as your Artist Name, just pop it in here
Style: can be a phrase/sentence length description, not too long please
Inspiration: make it around 50-60 words tops
Equipment: hardware and/or software used, monitors/headphones used, PC/Mac quick specs if you'd like
Website: so that interested GAFers can check out more of your music

2) Upload a 24-bit or 32-bit wav recording of your song to a file sharing website (ie. rapidshare.com, megaupload.com, zshare.com do NOT use sendspace as the link expires), and PM Monchi-Kun the link to it (again, "G.A.M.E. 4.0 Song Submission" for your subject. Please name the wav file with your artist name and song title.

3) Post in the thread that you have done so.

Here are the other projects we've worked on, if you're new to G.A.M.E:

G.A.M.E. 3.0 - Wipeout HD Custom Soundtrack - Planning Thread - Release Thread
G.A.M.E. 2.0 - Theatrical - Planning Thread - Release Thread
G.A.M.E. 1.0 - Gaming themed tracks, the one that started it all! Planning Thread - Release Thread

Also coming soon - G.A.M.E. 3.1 - additional music and remixes for Wipeout HD - the G.A.M.E. 3.0 project continues, check out the G.A.M.E. 3.0 planning thread if you want to get involved!

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
I bombed out with the early deadline on 3.0, but I'm massively down for this one.

alistairw

This is going to be really, really awesome. Can't wait to hear the results.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Does it have to be 100 percent faithful or can it just have chiptune inspired sounds with normal drums and stuff in it? I'm not too excited about using gated white noise as a snare :(

btkadams

Timedog said:
Does it have to be 100 percent faithful or can it just have chiptune inspired sounds with normal drums and stuff in it? I'm not too excited about using gated white noise as a snare :(
you can have regular drums. the chiptune just has to be the centerstage of the track. i made one about a month ago and have been tweaking it slightly and im probably submitting it since it was inspired by the idea of a chiptune GAME soundtrack. hope you guys dont mind that? it was the one called highs & lows. im defintiely contributing more than that though, whats the limit going to be?

Timedog said:

See paragraph 1 of the OP. This isn't a pursists-only thing, though they're certainly welcome to do their thing.

btkadams

yay my a is lowercase!!!

im so psyched for this. i'm going to start making one right now and its going to BLOW YOUR MINDS!

ps: i just made a sweet mix of funk by Etienne De Crecy if anyones interested in listening ill post it.

pps: LFK pm a mod to change the thread title to have planning thread in it.

alright i dont care if no one comments im posting it since i uploaded to zshare for a friend to dl anyways. HERE IT IS. the first minute is really lame i know, thats why i havent finished. i should just remove the first minute lol. the last half is pretty dope though. especially the end part.

btkadams

alright, so just finished getting off the phone and heres my track to celebrate the start of game 4 lol. yup. its really short (only 2 mb at 320kbps) but for those of you who actually listen to it, you can hear the sound i edited on my brand new microKORG lol. its fucking dope! hopefully youll recognize. timing is all off on the end just cuz i was messing around lol.

CLICK HERE FOR BLISSFUL CELEBRATION.

ps this is not a submission lol, im fairly sure the melody is ripped off even haha. yay chiptune!!!

and monchi i made a comment on your song on your soundcloud, sounds awesome!!

bluemax

Banned
Ooh I love NES Chiptunes. I wish my music abilities extended past being able to read sheet music and play the trumpet.

Zyzyxxz

I loved the 1st album and especially the 3rd one made for WipeoutHD.

Loving the retro style art too, m0dus you never disappoint!

shagg_187 said:
Oh God! I can't resist! I'm definitely in! What's the deadline cause i can work on it after December 10th.

Considering we haven't set one yet, I'd say it stands a good chance of being well after that. :lol

Usually these things take 3-4 months to come together.

Albino_Samurai said:
in offcourse.

Great, I thought your 3.0 release was a big leap forward in terms of composition from your previous stuff, looking forward to what you put together.

bluemax said:
Ooh I love NES Chiptunes. I wish my music abilities extended past being able to read sheet music and play the trumpet.

Honestly, with chiptunes you could put something together in Mario Paint. It would be completely true to the source material. I'd love to hear what some people could put together with the DS-10 as well, linked above.

alistairw said:
Gaming Age Musica Electronica. It's, uh, written on the cover.

Not to mention the first sentence of the thread! I've gone back and highlighted the letters so the acronym stands out.

btkadams

LiveFromKyoto said:
Considering we haven't set one yet, I'd say it stands a good chance of being well after that. :lol

Usually these things take 3-4 months to come together.

Great, I thought your 3.0 release was a big leap forward in terms of composition from your previous stuff, looking forward to what you put together.

Honestly, with chiptunes you could put something together in Mario Paint. It would be completely true to the source material. I'd love to hear what some people could put together with the DS-10 as well, linked above.

Not to mention the first sentence of the thread! I've gone back and highlighted the letters so the acronym stands out.

WHAT?! that long?! i'm going to have made a million by then.

Bit-Bit

What are the odds? I just started on work of a chip tune with sorta Drum and Bass sound. I'm not sure how it's going to pan out yet.

BTW, I'm using FL Studio with the Triforce, Peach, and Toad plugins. I hope that's not cheating.

btkadams

Bit-Bit said:
What are the odds? I just started on work of a chip tune with sorta Drum and Bass sound. I'm not sure how it's going to pan out yet.

BTW, I'm using FL Studio with the Triforce, Peach, and Toad plugins. I hope that's not cheating.
nope

pirahna1 said:
I thought we were aiming for a Christmas release? The more time the better for me, I was just curious.

See, I always want earlier releases and everybody else is like "no, I need at least three months!" At the end of the day, it comes down to the guys who are going to do the mastering etc. Really, we have to be respectful of their schedules.

Bit-Bit said:

Nope, I even linked to them in the OP. I'd encourage more people to check them out.

Fusebox

Banned
Never tried to make a chiptune, never even heard a full chiptune before but count me in. :D

Btw that old youtube vid about Ableton sidechain compression is out of date now, you can nuke that link from the OP as it's all built-in to Ableton 7.

Freakin awesome art-work as usual too. _b

btkadams

monchi-kun said:
pro-tip: play only on the black keys if you are having a hard time finding a good melody :)
i have plenty of melodies they're just mostly happy lol i'm trying to diversify them.

happy chip is a good chip, that's what i'm going to try and accomplish this time. listening to all my older tracks they all sound so dark :p

SpacLock

Can't wait to see what you guys come up with this time. Especially btkadams. I'm gonna start right now and try to get a couple into this album.

alistairw

Also, my little heart is all a-flutter because I noticed my name on the cover.

btkadams

SpacLock said:
Can't wait to see what you guys come up with this time. Especially btkadams. I'm gonna start right now and try to get a couple into this album.
aww thanks! now i'm even more compelled to work hard for this one. i will try not to let you down!

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
at the risk at disgracing myself at all the talent gathered here, i'm in.

m0dus

Banned
YOU BEST ADD ME OR THERE WILL BE PAIN.

and it IS Gaming Art -- the cover posted was a preliminary one I did before the name change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom