• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G.A.M.E. 4.0 - Chiptunes/Retro SEXPLOSION!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lil smoke

Banned
Fulltone. Yeah I wish :D I would love anything REAL, but I don't have the physical space.

The VTAPE has a delay module, but I'm just using it for the subtle high frequency saturation that happens when you push it. I think it takes some of the 'digititis' off the mix. Just a lovely rich sound.

I'm also trying Izotope Vinyl (free) for some subtle flutter and noise.

Now for tape delay, I like Cubase Karlette and UAD RE-201!

monchi-kun said:
ok, i'm curious...what kind of track are you making? ;)

Can't give it away just yet, but it's shaping up to be the best thing I've done - we'll see how it comes together at the end. I'm letting out my inner Boards of Canada on this one.

ice cream

Banned
So what program do you guys use for music production? What's the best one?
So far these are on my lift of ones to chose between:
Reason, FruityLoops and Cubase, any more?

ice cream said:

i think you can download demos for all three right? my totally biased opinion - REASON :D

ice cream said:

You can get demos for most programs, try before you buy. If this is your first sequencer, you might want to go for something easier to learn on - Cubase and Reason are certainly manageable, but they might be jumping in at the deep end. Of the ones you listed, Fruity Loops is relatively cheap and straightforward to use.

I'd recommend checking out Ableton Live - it's pretty complicated, but has a very straightforward interface and a lot of professionals use it, and many G.A.M.E. members swear by it.

If you're on a Mac (I'm guessing you're not) I highly recommend cutting your teeth on Garageband then moving on to Logic. Everybody has personal preferences as far as sequencers and their workflows go, but the music industry seems pretty much unanimous that for the whole production package from beginning to end, Logic and Pro Tools are at the top of the heap. Of course that doesn't preclude the others - many people use Reason, Acid or Ableton in tandem with Logic or Pro Tools.

But that might be too much info for now, don't worry at all about what other people say is "best" and worry entirely about which one you have fun using. You'll never get to the point where you care about limiters, delay modules and compression unless you put a ton of time into making music first - and the only way that happens is if you dig what you're working with.

this reminds me, i'm sitting on an Ableton Live (5.2) license. I'm willing to sell this license for $100 which will qualify you to upgrade to Live 7.0 for less money than having to pay for a full Live 7 license. If anyone is interested PM me. You'd be able to download and use it right away once the license transfer is complete.

SpacLock

Brannon said:
Any program where I can just use the mouse and keyboard (querty not piano)?

If you have some money to spare I would go to a Guitar Center and get a cheap used midi controller for like $30. It takes away 99% of the work.

SpacLock

KTallguy said:
Dunnoz, sounds shaaday my friend.

What do you mean? It's legit bro!

On a serious note...

I'm not sure how the rest of the artists would feel about it, but I wouldn't mind having one of use set up a neutral paypal account for our projects.

I'm sure it would make some of us work harder that's for sure.

Either way, most of us really just like creating music and getting it out there for people to hear rather we're getting money for it or not.

KTallguy

Banned
Wait, is it legit ?
I'm seriously willing to donate 20 bucks or something. I've listened to your other 3 albums way too much.

SpacLock

KTallguy said:
Wait, is it legit ?
I'm seriously willing to donate 20 bucks or something. I've listened to your other 3 albums way too much.

No. It's legit for myself, but not for the other artists.

We don't have anything set up for all of us yet. (if there ever will be one)

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
bah, it was inevitable. here's my ambient-industrial monotone work-in-progress, well-maimed by soundcloud's embedded compression and audible only on good bass headphones (preferably $1k ones).

ds-10 & porta pro for life!

btkadams

wait, we're charging? i dont wanna have to pay to listen to your tunes you guys lol. i could care less if i earn money.

blu

hmmuh? i just checked and the only thing that i could find being wrong restrictions-wise was that the original AAC for the second version was limited-access (but it's fixed now). otherwise everything was, and remains as 'public' as soundcloud allows. am i missing something? (probably, i'm a soundcloud newb)

*checks again*

could it be a license matter? i'm currently at the default 'all rights reserved', out of

All Rights Reserved
Creative Commons
No Rights Reserved

halp?

btkadams

blu said:
hmmuh? i just checked and the only thing that i could find being wrong restrictions-wise was that the original AAC for the second version was limited-access (but it's fixed now). otherwise everything was, and remains as 'public' as soundcloud allows. am i missing something? (probably, i'm a soundcloud newb)

*checks again*

could it be a license matter? i'm currently at the default 'all rights reserved', out of

All Rights Reserved
Creative Commons
No Rights Reserved

halp?
there is no help for you. hold on ill check my settings. soundcloud loads really slow for me sometimes.

mine is set to all rights reserved as well. i can hear your tracks so whatever lol.

Endgegner

add me in. I experimented a lot with ableton in the last couple of months, this might help me to get some focus into my projects.

Bit-Bit said:
I'm trying to listen to blu's song but it says I have to have an account there.

might as well sign up for soundcloud. honestly its a better place to share music than zshare. the timeline comments we can leave for each other can be very useful

Bit-Bit

Yeah, I went ahead and signed up. blu, I like your song. However, I was really bored with it for the first minute and a half. I really like at the 1:30 mark from there on out the song was great.

blu

Bit-Bit said:
Yeah, I went ahead and signed up. blu, I like your song. However, I was really bored with it for the first minute and a half. I really like at the 1:30 mark from there on out the song was great.
duh, intro is deliberately boring - it's industrial after all : )

ok, i'll likely change it eventually, given how everybody dislikes the intro part.

and thanks for your all your comments, guys!

lil smoke

Banned
monchi-kun said:
don't go changing it yet...sometimes tunes can grow on people.

trust your gut! :D
It's important to trust your gut, but it's also crucial to realize that we listen to our own stuff over and over again, and can't be subjective. Sometimes that type of feedback is the only way you can be open and honest about your own tunes!

Bit-Bit

I have sort of an ADD way of listening to music. If a song goes on for more than 30 seconds without changing speed, or tempo, or adding a new instrument, I tend to lose interest.

Been busy all day reinstalling my gear.....
14 hours later still not done.
Audio and Midi cables will have to wait till tomorrow.

Can not wait to get started again!

Bit-Bit said:
I have sort of an ADD way of listening to music. If a song goes on for more than 30 seconds without changing speed, or tempo, or adding a new instrument, I tend to lose interest.

I'm quite the opposite when it comes to liking music.
I like the monotone repetative loops. They do have to be funky though....

blu said:
bah, it was inevitable. here's my ambient-industrial monotone work-in-progress, well-maimed by soundcloud's embedded compression and audible only on good bass headphones (preferably $1k ones).

ds-10 & porta pro for life!

If it makes you feel any better, I heard the bass just fine on a pair of crummy $7 buds I bought at the drugstore. (They're my work headphones. Don't care if they get stolen.)

btkadams

k guys when is the deadline for this? lol because i've already made 2. any changes to them will be very minor from now on. just finished OK Now You Go and uploaded to my soundcloud. you can comment if you like. how many max tracks can we submit? the wipeout one was still a big compilation and we had a very quick deadline. this one should be too or theres going to be a million tracks lol.

the more the merrier of course. my tracks are likely going to be 3 mins and under so i hope to submit 3 more after OVRWHRLD.

The first track is always the easiest...it's the ones after that make me go nuts

btkadams

true, my first song for this definitely came out easier. the second one was something i winged to celebrate the creation of the thread lol and i actually made it into a song the next day. but i still think we should have a firm schedule set up. are fightyf and mr nash still MIA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom