• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G.A.M.E. 4.0 - Chiptunes/Retro SEXPLOSION!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

btkadams

BIT-BIT!!!! i uploaded an alternate version and am wondering if i fixed what you thought was wrong. am i going in the right direction?

EDIT: well i guess anyone can actually tell me if its better lol. my other one is still up for comparison. bit-bit's complaints were that the vocals came in weird and were abrupt but i sort of edited it differently so maybe its better? haallpppp

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
So to get the chiptunes-esque sounds is there something I can get for GarageBand or do I just play with settings? And can those be saved as new sound things so I don't have to recreate them every time?

btkadams

RevenantKioku said:
So to get the chiptunes-esque sounds is there something I can get for GarageBand or do I just play with settings? And can those be saved as new sound things so I don't have to recreate them every time?
you can download audiounits which are basically the virtual instruments you see in garageband, however almost all of them are buggy as shit and i have yet to find a chiptune styled one that works. i took a synth instrument and edited it to make it sound like a nintendo and added the bitcrusher effect called "meet atari" and that helped a bit as well. its all about tweaking.

Bit-Bit

btkadams, your new version is much better than the previous one. I left you a comment detailing what I think about it now on soundcloud.

btkadams

Bit-Bit said:
btkadams, your new version is much better than the previous one. I left you a comment detailing what I think about it now on soundcloud.
thanks! i replied to the comment. i am slowly getting there. i dont remember going through so many edits with my other GAME4 track as this one lol. maybe because this one started out not having vocals.

RevenantKioku said:

Here's an example of how to start:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0U-IHrcFlU

Brapscallion said:
I'm down for this shit, lemme know who to PM.

No need for a PM, just posting in this thread is fine.

lil smoke

Banned
Yeah this chiptune shit is hard because you're dealing with a lot of harsh frequencies. I'm having a rough time establishing a true bottom end. I also have some extra non chip sounds I want to fit in, but it's hard to get them to sit without sounding out of place. Not to mention the entire tune is all over the map. I spent the last 2 days eliminating junk.

Brapscallion

Neo Member
I'll probably submit 'Battle Cannon', which is on MYSPACE, YO.

There is also some sweet-ass free mixtape to download on there as well. Fuck it, I'll post it here! Click the pick-a-ture. Be warned though, it aint' Chip, it's awesome Jackin' House, a la MSTRKRFT:

You'll have to bear with me as i haven't even started yet......
finaly hooked up everything and can start making tunes this upcomming weekend.
There's no actual deadline yet, right?

hehehehe, i think we should set the deadline once we're all back from holiday...nothing like a bit of pressure to get more of you chumps to post music in this thread :D

lil smoke

Banned
monchi-kun said:
hehehehe, i think we should set the deadline once we're all back from holiday...nothing like a bit of pressure to get more of you chumps to post music in this thread :D
I set up a soundcloud last night and I'll probably upload later this afternoon! Kinda embarrased tho :D

Garcia

lil smoke said:
I set up a soundcloud last night and I'll probably upload later this afternoon! Kinda embarrased tho :D

Please don't feel that way, we're here to exchange tips and opinions in order to get better, so go on and share with us what u're doing =)

btkadams

monchi-kun said:
back from holiday? we're waiting until christmas to decide? FUCK lol that's so far away.

EDIT: unless of course you're speaking of american thanksgiving which you must remember not everyone celebrates.

lil smoke

Banned
Bit-Bit said:
Thanksgiving is tomorrow. I can't wait to eat all day. That's what the holiday is all about.
Thanksgiving is great cause you eat all day, but for the most part it's a normal day! So I can get some music done!

btkadams

MONCHI!!!!!!! I KNOW YOU CAN HEAR ME!!!!!!!!!! i uploaded a version of OK Now You Go just specially cooked for you. let me know what you think of the difference in that one part. im not sure whether its better or not, outside opinion needed.

btkadams

lol updated yet ANOTHER version of OK Now You Go. and sdzeta, I KNOW im stressed for exams but the minute i start studying i switch windows to gaf and to garageband.

Haha yeah I know what you mean, I tend to do that as well. :p I actually started working on my first chiptune (I'm so weak). It's only about 1 minute right now but at least I know where I want to head. I can't even upload it on Soundcloud because of the limit!

Bit-Bit

I'm feelin experimental tonight. How bout this GAF. I'm going to plug my DS lite into my computer and load up Electroplakton. I'm going to see what kind of music can be made with this game. I bought it way back when it came out and it just crossed my mind that I can make some serious music with it.

Well I might as well put a zshare link for now while my Soundcloud account opens up space for more uploads. This is basically me trying to mix different sounds and waves so it's just a 1 minute loop/song.

-

I'll develop on it way more, it kind of reminds me a song that would play in a dark NES platformer!

btkadams

where is nash and fightyf? i havent seem them on here for a while.. :( how would gaf ever know if one of our own had died or something?
Bit-Bit said:
I'm feelin experimental tonight. How bout this GAF. I'm going to plug my DS lite into my computer and load up Electroplakton. I'm going to see what kind of music can be made with this game. I bought it way back when it came out and it just crossed my mind that I can make some serious music with it.
explain to me how you're doing this, and with what software/hardware. i am very intrigued.
SDZeta said:
Well I might as well put a zshare link for now while my Soundcloud account opens up space for more uploads. This is basically me trying to mix different sounds and waves so it's just a 1 minute loop/song.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/519405249211b75b/

I'll develop on it way more, it kind of reminds me a song that would play in a dark NES platformer!
just delete one of yours songs off of soundcloud and you can upload another.

Bit-Bit

btkadams said:
explain to me how you're doing this, and with what software/hardware. i am very intrigued.

Well, I'm just going to hook the DS from it's speaker port to my computer's mic port. Than I'm going to play around on Electroplankton, collecting as much sounds as I can. Than I'm going to upload it into FL Studio and arrange them. It sounds simple enough.

I'm going to try to make a song using entirely of samples from Electroplankton.

btkadams

Bit-Bit said:
Well, I'm just going to hook the DS from it's speaker port to my computer's mic port. Than I'm going to play around on Electroplankton, collecting as much sounds as I can. Than I'm going to upload it into FL Studio and arrange them. It sounds simple enough.

I'm going to try to make a song using entirely of samples from Electroplankton.
oh thats actually really cool! i may try that

btkadams

lil smoke said:
Anyone else having problems with the conversion quality with some mp3s on Soundcloud?
what do you mean? like the song that streams off of soundcloud sounds shittier than the one you uploaded? if so, yes i have noticed that.

I'll be down for this.

I finished a song for Game 3.0 but never submitted it because I wasn't happy with it. I think this one could turn out a little better.

btkadams

Dark Octave said:
I'll be down for this.

I finished a song for Game 3.0 but never submitted it because I wasn't happy with it. I think this one could turn out a little better.
im excited to hear what you make. so far i love all the songs everyone has made for this compilation. game 3.0 was topnotch but i found that some of the songs just weren't my tastes (despite them being great). this one seems to cater towards my tastes better. go go go go

lil smoke

Banned
btkadams said:
what do you mean? like the song that streams off of soundcloud sounds shittier than the one you uploaded? if so, yes i have noticed that.
A couple that I tried to upload came out unlistenable. Completely distorted.

btkadams

lil smoke said:
A couple that I tried to upload came out unlistenable. Completely distorted.
yeah one of the versions of OK Now You Go that i put up sounded way shitter and was more distorted for sure... wouldnt say unlistenable though since you all commented on it and didnt notice.

Apenheul

Here's a little test made with Reason (No inspiration today :\):

chiptest.mp3

It should sound somewhat like a C64 SID tune but I think I'll go with NES / GB sound instead and a fast uptempo track. I'm going to use either Milkytracker or Renoise since the typical chipsound effects are easier to pull off in such an environment.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I'm still scratching my head as to what I'm going to contribute for this one. I'm just not feeling it so far. Hopefully this writer's block will go away soon... :(

btkadams

ugh guys i finally bought midi cables to hook up my microKORG to my presonus firepod and so i can use it with garageband but nothing is working. i got the cables hooked up and everything but garageband says its not detecting any midi devices. does garageband just suck ass? or am i doing something wrong... anybody have a similar setup and could walk me through it? i have the microkorg manual and can follow it exactly and i have my firepod manual but it says fuck all about the midi ports for some reason.

Apenheul

@btkadams
I don't use GarageBand but in most applications you can specify which MIDI ins/outs to use. In your case you should be able to select 'presonus firepod' or something in the preferences. If you don't already get a MIDI signal when pressing keys it could be that you should eh.. cross the MIDI cables. One cable goes from the OUT of the keyboard to the IN of the presonus interface and one cable goes from the IN if the keyboard to the OUT of the presonus interface.

lil smoke

Banned
Uploaded another one that I'm liking. Just came out of nowhere. Not sure if I should just leave it and work on something else... any ideas on this? sharcz
Apenheul said:
Here's a little test made with Reason (No inspiration today :\):

chiptest.mp3

It should sound somewhat like a C64 SID tune but I think I'll go with NES / GB sound instead and a fast uptempo track. I'm going to use either Milkytracker or Renoise since the typical chipsound effects are easier to pull off in such an environment.
That is pretty sick!

btkadams

Apenheul said:
@btkadams
I don't use GarageBand but in most applications you can specify which MIDI ins/outs to use. In your case you should be able to select 'presonus firepod' or something in the preferences. If you don't already get a MIDI signal when pressing keys it could be that you should eh.. cross the MIDI cables. One cable goes from the OUT of the keyboard to the IN of the presonus interface and one cable goes from the IN if the keyboard to the OUT of the presonus interface.
thank you very much for the response! here's a shot of my preferences. the advanced panel has nothing to do with it either :( plus i checked the cables and they're all correct.

EDIT: ok i got it so that it can be used as a midi controller. had to go to the actual mac audio/midi settings. now to find out how to use the mac as the controller and the keyboard play the notes inputted. hmm....

EDIT 2: it seems gb doesn't allow this, but i installed a plugin called midio that allows me to. very cool!

This is harder than i thought it would be!

I'm used to trying to get the sounds as clear and warm as possible and now i have to do the opposite to get that 8 bit gameboy sound....:lol
Defenitly having mucho fun with this!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom