• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G.A.M.E. 4.0 - Chiptunes/Retro SEXPLOSION!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

luffeN

any indication as to when you will release it (game 4.0)? i have a rapidshare account with more than 5 GB trafficshare, meaning that 5 gigs of free downloads for anyone. no need to have an RS account. account ends 26. of december, still undecided about renewing it

Apenheul

btkadams said:
thank you very much for the response! here's a shot of my preferences. the advanced panel has nothing to do with it either :( plus i checked the cables and they're all correct.

EDIT: ok i got it so that it can be used as a midi controller. had to go to the actual mac audio/midi settings. now to find out how to use the mac as the controller and the keyboard play the notes inputted. hmm....

EDIT 2: it seems gb doesn't allow this, but i installed a plugin called midio that allows me to. very cool!

Good to know that it works now. I don't recall having to go to the system settings for midi myself though.

pirahna1

I'm having some trouble coming up with inspiration for this. I've been messing around with a software SH-101 as my lead and bass. I have some nice hats programmed, I just can't seem to pull anything together. Maybe it's my disdain for chiptunes :lol

Hopefully I'll have something going in the next few days.

It's definitely not easy. I'm trying to make chiptunes that sound like real 8-bit songs that could play in videogames back then. It's hard not to just think like a normal song and replace the instruments with 8-bit ones.

btkadams

you guys we have to make a deadline for this thing. i can't start makin a third song when we havent even made a date. enough people have signed up for this thing that we'll literally have 100 songs when its done lol. so lets make a date. im going to work on some other stuff until you guys choose a date.

Fusebox

Banned
Bah chiptunes! :lol

I put the guitar aside last night to start on this project, primarily using Peach VSTi and the first hour was woeful, all this low bit rate raspiness is so hard on my ears. A couple more hours and something was starting to take shape, and now I even woke up with an idea for it!

Heres my WIP from last night, still got a lonoong way to go today but at least now I don't hate all the sounds in my tune anymore:

http://users.tpg.com.au/djfusion//Chiptune.mp3

btkadams

lol uploaded a little mix onto soundcloud you guys, comment if you wish. its non game 4 but you never know what i could add in to make it fit ;)

actually, i think making this chipstyle would be killer. gotta figure out how. but let me know if i should even attempt such an endeavour.

Apenheul

Ok, NES suits me way better than C64 SID. This time to make sure that it actually sounds NES and tracked I used an NES tracker :) It's been about eight years since I've used a tracker to make music but I got into it pretty fast. It took about two and a half hours to make this little test: Apenheul_test1.wav (work in progress of course, inspired by mega man)

If you happen to have the VirtuaNSF player you can download the actual NES track Apenheul_test1.nsf

Apenheul

btkadams said:
lol uploaded a little mix onto soundcloud you guys, comment if you wish. its non game 4 but you never know what i could add in to make it fit ;)

Where's your soundcloud? :)

Fusebox said:
Heres my WIP from last night, still got a lonoong way to go today but at least now I don't hate all the sounds in my tune anymore

Hey that sounds pretty cool! Some kind of hardstyle chiptune.

pixelated said:
Apenheul_test1.nsf, how the hell? what software?

I made it using Famitracker, a tracker made for producing NES music. It does have a couple of annoying bugs though (or maybe I'm just not used to the workflow yet). You have 2 square wave channels, one triangle wave channel and one noise channel (optionally there's a PCM channel too, which I don't use), but if I make a new instrument I have to export it and then reload otherwise my other instruments get messed up.

btkadams

Apenheul said:
Where's your soundcloud? :)
http://soundcloud.com/btkadams

Apenheul said:
Ok, NES suits me way better than C64 SID. This time to make sure that it actually sounds NES and tracked I used an NES tracker :) It's been about eight years since I've used a tracker to make music but I got into it pretty fast. It took about two and a half hours to make this little test: Apenheul_test1.wav (work in progress of course, inspired by mega man)

If you happen to have the VirtuaNSF player you can download the actual NES track Apenheul_test1.nsf
that sounds awesome! so cool!

Apenheul

WindBelow said:

Lovely lead, the feedback or modulation or whatever you use works really well. The chord progression also works for me. Still I'm a little bit confused about what's going on, probably because the mix is still a bit muddy. I hope you can work that out in the final version :)

btkadams said:
http://soundcloud.com/btkadams

You know what? I really dig 'Highs & Lows', the chord progression of the chiptune was nice and I was genuinely surprised when the vocals came in. I hear some pitch correction at work, perhaps you could exaggerate that a bit more by allowing the pitch to snap to less notes, that's what they did with Cher's Believe amongst others. Great music man!

Dartastic said:
http://soundcloud.com/dartastic/drumandchelloslow

I suspect a techno chiptune here :) If you've only just started using Reason then I'm looking forward to hearing your entry, this clip sounded promising. Go easy on the compressor though ;)

btkadams

Apenheul said:
You know what? I really dig 'Highs & Lows', the chord progression of the chiptune was nice and I was genuinely surprised when the vocals came in. I hear some pitch correction at work, perhaps you could exaggerate that a bit more by allowing the pitch to snap to less notes, that's what they did with Cher's Believe amongst others. Great music man!
use less autotune you mean?

Well, if you guys want to talk about release dates, start making proposals. I can't even start really getting into my track until next week, so I'd rather wait until at least January. There are a lot of frequent contributors who haven't put up anything in this thread yet, so I know they'll need time too (where's m0dus?)

But we've got some things we need to organize first - mainly who's going to be doing the mastering and putting the final package together. Any volunteers?

Apenheul

btkadams said:
use less autotune you mean?

I had to check a youtube video of autotune with Garageband, it works differently than I expected. I had a voice pitcher VST in which I could select the notes that the software should expect from the sound stream so if I only selected five notes it would skip and then snap to the nearest note which I selected. However I expect a similar effect from the autotune in Garageband if you maximize it.

That said the song is already fine as it is, I was just fantasizing about how it would sound like with Cher-like voicepitching :)

back from va-kay-kay...time to catch up on everyone's tracks....glad more have come out to join the compilation, this could be our biggest one yet :)

if we aim for a Jan release we might as well do it on Jan 20th for more impact ;)

this way i have enough time to learn the ins and outs of Soundtrack Pro, take this as me volunteering for mastering duties

Fusebox said:
Heres my WIP from last night, still got a lonoong way to go today but at least now I don't hate all the sounds in my tune anymore:

http://users.tpg.com.au/djfusion//Chiptune.mp3

nice one man, how 'bout a really hard edge arpeggiated bassline about 30 seconds into your track.

also, are you adding that reverb/delay effect on the track or bussing the effect?

Fusebox

Banned
monchi-kun said:
nice one man, how 'bout a really hard edge arpeggiated bassline about 30 seconds into your track.
Thx for the tip monchi but I these days I reckon arpeggiators suck ass compared to just playing in the melody or groove I can hear in my head with the keyboard, they're too automatic for me so I rarely use them, if ever at all. Just gimme a few more hours massaging my arrangement manually and with luck you won't recognise it.

btkadams

Apenheul said:
I had to check a youtube video of autotune with Garageband, it works differently than I expected. I had a voice pitcher VST in which I could select the notes that the software should expect from the sound stream so if I only selected five notes it would skip and then snap to the nearest note which I selected. However I expect a similar effect from the autotune in Garageband if you maximize it.

That said the song is already fine as it is, I was just fantasizing about how it would sound like with Cher-like voicepitching :)
effect is maxed. i find it doesn't give as strong of an effect if the singing is really in key lol so the parts where it sounds coolest are probably where i went off key lol. i tried recording a few times and that was the best take i could get without going insane trying to perfect it. thank you for your input though! ill try and go more for that on my next vocal song.

and i am soooo fine with jan 20th. wish it were earlier but whatever ;)

WindBelow

Neo Member
Apenheul said:
Lovely lead, the feedback or modulation or whatever you use works really well. The chord progression also works for me. Still I'm a little bit confused about what's going on, probably because the mix is still a bit muddy. I hope you can work that out in the final version :)

yeah I haven't mixed it yet

Does anybody have any idea why I can't import an AAC file into logic? I converted it from mp3 in iTunes, it's got an .m4a extension, but Logic won't take it - stays grayed out. From what I understand this should work. There's no DRM on the file, it wasn't purchased.

lil smoke

Banned
LiveFromKyoto said:
Does anybody have any idea why I can't import an AAC file into logic? I converted it from mp3 in iTunes, it's got an .m4a extension, but Logic won't take it - stays grayed out. From what I understand this should work. There's no DRM on the file, it wasn't purchased.
Maybe a codec issue? I had a problem like this years ago on the old Cubase. In any case, why can't you just use the MP3?

And I just want to make a point from something I realized this weekend with EQ. EQ with your ears, not your eyes

It's too easy and natural to want to look at an EQ curve in a GUI, especially if that's what you're used to seeing. A visual person will become familiar with what a curve sounds like. You know the character of a happy face EQ. Or a high Q in the mid vs high range. When you go to fix something in you mix that is off, you reach for a point on that curve and pull it in the direction/amount that you know works. You also know how not to overdo it. If something is too steep, it looks and feels wrong on that curve. Or... you don't want to pull that pass filter that far in, it doesn't look right. Or... wow I have 5 peaks, this curve looks like crap. And it will probably sound crap, because of phasing and distortion.

But that's bullshit.

If you have the option in your DAW, turn the visual curve display the fuck off. Trust me on this. Use the knobs and listen until it sounds right. Don't even look at the numbers. You not likely to have the same psycological visual impositions when looking at a knob. When you go back and look at the resulting curve, you might see that you made changes that you never would have thought. And it sounds a lot better.

btkadams

lil smoke has a dream. his dream is to take EQ, turn it into a visual EQ, and then not look at the visual. great minds think alike, i don't use the visual part either.

Fusebox

Banned
Good advice lil smoke, another thing I like to do is make a big sharp spike on a flat eq and drag the spike along the entire frequency range until that part just jumps out of my speakers, then I'll usually bring the spike back to around zero and bring everything around the spike down as much as needed. Kind of like dropping the whole tune into mono and then panning a part until it pops out, these are also best done with your eyes closed.

lil smoke

Banned
LiveFromKyoto said:
Logic wouldn't let me import that either :/
Are you sure it is an mp3? A file can have any tag associated with it. Might need to look inside the data of that file, but I forget what I read about the best way to check. If you're importing MP3s other times, than it must be a problem with that file.

Also some programs can have problems with MP3s that were converted with variable bit rate (VBR), but I highly doubt Logic would have that issue.

lil smoke said:
Are you sure it is an mp3? A file can have any tag associated with it. Might need to look inside the data of that file, but I forget what I read about the best way to check. If you're importing MP3s other times, than it must be a problem with that file.

Also some programs can have problems with MP3s that were converted with variable bit rate (VBR), but I highly doubt Logic would have that issue.

Never mind, my mistake. It was the first time I was trying it and I was trying to do it via file -> import which wouldn't work, but just dragging the file in did.

lil smoke

Banned
pixelated said:
I added a few of my older stuff to soundcloud

http://soundcloud.com/bit-mip-syndicate

soundcloud clips the hell out of my music, why?
Part of it might be that the site is slow as hell right now.

Maybe you should try when their traffic is lower or something.
LiveFromKyoto said:
Never mind, my mistake. It was the first time I was trying it and I was trying to do it via file -> import which wouldn't work, but just dragging the file in did.
That's Logic for ya :lol

Apenheul

I think I'm going to pull a Timbaland on myself: make a tune with FamiTracker and then sample it :)

Btw, I've just signed up for a soundcloud account so I can finally listen to the songs for which you need to sign in.

btkadams

Apenheul said:
I think I'm going to pull a Timbaland on myself: make a tune with FamiTracker and then sample it :)

Btw, I've just signed up for a soundcloud account so I can finally listen to the songs for which you need to sign in.
timbaland made songs in famitracker and then sampled them?

pirahna1

Is there even a difference between the microK and the XL? Looks like it's just cosmetic changes. Or did they add effects? I'm lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom