• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[G&M]: Canada ran covert program to give asylum to gay Chechnyans

Looks like we all forgot the mandatory usage of the following:

3.png

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
That's not the main reason though. Canada is home to a large population of ethnic Ukranians, so anti-Russian moves are also useful political moves. In this case it's well warranted as the treatment of LGBT people in Russian territories is atrocious.

Good point. I had forgotten that so many Ukrainian Canadians there are, especially in the West.

Slime

Banned
Wouldn't this piss off Putin? Canada Russian relationships should take a toll...

A bit of info about the cabinet minister who organized this:

On January 27, 2014, during the demonstrations leading up to the 2014 Ukrainian revolution, Freeland wrote an op-ed for The Globe and Mail, in which she excoriated the government of Viktor Yanukovich. She is a proponent of personal asset seizures and travel bans as part of programmes of economic sanctions. Later, at the beginning of March, Freeland visited Ukraine on behalf of the Liberal Party, and tweeted her progress in meeting community leaders and members of the government in Kyiv. She lunched with the chief rabbi of Kyiv, met with Mustafa Dzhemilev, leader of the Crimean Tatars and an MP, and with Vitaly Klitchko, who is leader of the Ukrainian Democratic Alliance for Reform party, and with Ukrainian MP Petro Poroshenko, who was subsequently elected President of Ukraine in May 2014, Ukrainian presidential elections.

Freeland was one of thirteen Canadians banned from travelling to Russia under retaliatory sanctions imposed by Russian President Vladimir Putin in March 2014. She replied through her official Twitter feed, "Love Russ lang/culture, loved my yrs in Moscow; but it's an honour to be on Putin's sanction list, esp in company of friends Cotler & Grod."

Also:
http://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/columnists/glavin-how-the-russians-tried-to-smear-chrystia-freeland

...I don't think we give a fuck if we're pissing off Putin.

Monocle

Compassionate leadership in action. All countries of conscience should do this for mistreated minorities trapped under sick regimes.

darscot

This is awesome, love this country. Canada tells Russia to suck it, unfortunately Putin just laughs and responds we have Trump for that.

I'm talking about provinces like Alberta, which regardless of urban/rural split are generally more conservative. Trudeau also has enemies on the left, too.

We're not locked into progressive leadership like this in Canada. It could easily go away.

I keep bringing up this book since Trudeau and Trump won. From the far distant era of 2009, it looked like America was more progressive and Canada was regressing. Things can change pretty fast.

Harper got elected for a number of reasons but I don't think "Canada going conservative" was one of them. Most of it had to do with lack of credible, popular opposition until Trudeau came along.

Don't forget conservatism in Canada is still a mild joke compared to the US. Social conservatives have to pretty much hide their views. We just love fiscal conservatism and lower taxes. Good luck repealing same sex marriage here.

jstripes

Banned
Nice job. I wish they'd been able to get more out before the secret came out.
Harper got elected for a number of reasons but I don't think "Canada going conservative" was one of them. Most of it had to do with lack of credible, popular opposition until Trudeau came along.

Don't forget conservatism in Canada is still a mild joke compared to the US. Social conservatives have to pretty much hide their views. We just love fiscal conservatism and lower taxes. Good luck repealing same sex marriage here.

Yup. Harper rode into power on a minor scandal involving a party that had been in power for "too long".

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

I see your points.

And I do agree that Canada's conservatism is nothing compared with the US. I have roots in rural Alberta and have stared into the face of Canadian conservatism.... and it's pretty mild. It's just about jobs and economics.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I'm talking about provinces like Alberta, which regardless of urban/rural split are generally more conservative. Trudeau also has enemies on the left, too.

We're not locked into progressive leadership like this in Canada. It could easily go away.

I keep bringing up this book since Trudeau and Trump won. From the far distant era of 2009, it looked like America was more progressive and Canada was regressing. Things can change pretty fast.

41tb3s_P_Xh_L._SX322_BO1_204_203_200_-2.jpg

(^ completely coincidentally, it's written by the author of the OP's news story)

Alberta doesn't sway federal elections, Ontario for the most part does. Alberta has consistently sent mostly conservative representatives to parliament, so what they do here doesn't really change the narrative. It's when the left vote splits, that the Cons sneak in. Unify the centre-left and left parties, like the Cons and the Wild Rose did at the provincial level, and it will be nearly impossible fo a Con federal government to take power.

Wouldn't this piss off Putin? Canada Russian relationships should take a toll...
Canadians in general are united on this issue of "FUCK RUSSIA"

LOL, Canada's Foreign Affairs Minister is blacklisted in Russia (because Chrystia Freeland is of Ukrainian herirtage)

Alberta doesn't sway federal elections, Ontario for the most part does. Alberta has consistently sent mostly conservative representatives to parliament, so what they do here doesn't really change the narrative. It's when the left vote splits, that the Cons sneak in. Unify the centre-left and left parties, like the Cons and the Wild Rose did at the provincial level, and it will be nearly impossible fo a Con federal government to take power.
Pretty much this, Ontario is full of Suburban Conservatives who can quickly turn Ontario into an Ohio
Its undermining Russias sovereignty. Russia would be pissed.
LOL they have been dicking around our territorial waters in the Arctic and operating in cyberhacking, fuck Russia

drawkcaB

The idea that Canada isn't at its core a progressive country is absolutely ridiculous. Even more ridiculous is that of all the fucking people, an unimaginative, uncaring, uninteresting automaton like Stephen Harper was the one to bring about such a change. Harper's place in Canadian history will be as a place-holder, argely unimpactful and eventually forgotten.

When I want to read some shit political analysis to get my daily sensible chuckle out of the way, I read Ibbitson**. The man has no sense for the general mood of the country - never has, never will.

**or Margaret Wente. She of so many opinions, all them knee-jerk, simple, and uninformed; a true poster-person for the lets-do-the-very-minimum possible moderates.

How the G&M can have good reporting, yet can't seem to find better commentators is beyond me.

SRG01

well, i'm not proud you did [considering the attack-on-the-middle-class tax laws he's trying to pass currently]

not to mention all the blatant campaign lie-promises that have been exposed since his election.

but at least he's promoting sunny ways.

Oh you mean the new taxes meant to prevent people from incorporating themselves to shield themselves from higher income tax brackets? That middle class?

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
I'm proud I voted for Trudeau.
well, i'm not proud you did [considering the attack-on-the-middle-class tax laws he's trying to pass currently]

not to mention all the blatant campaign lie-promises that have been exposed since his election.

so we doing this now? we shaming people with false facts? you talk like he's out to kill the middle class. He's closing a tax loophole, not raising the tax rate.

source
Small business owners, including incorporated professionals such as doctors, lawyers, accountants and others, will likely face a higher tax bill in the years ahead ...

While there are various legal and government-sanctioned forms of income splitting, the most common one being the splitting of pension income or RRIF withdrawals (after age 65) with a spouse or partner, Mr. Morneau chose the term “income sprinkling” rather than income splitting to describe how some families use private corporations to sprinkle income among family members. In a typical example, dividends that would have been received by the primary owner/manager of the private corporation, say, mom or dad, would instead be paid to the spouse, partner or kids of the primary shareholder, who are often in lower tax brackets than the primary owner/manager and thus the family’s total tax bill would be reduced.

Under the proposed new rules, an adult family member will be expected to contribute to the business, either in labour or capital, in order be exempt from the TOSI on income received. In other words, the amount received by such adult family members must be “reasonable.” There is a stricter test for 18-24 year olds. In a nutshell, if the amount isn’t reasonable, then a top rate of tax will apply, putting an end to current strategy of dividend sprinkling among non-involved family members.

Raguel

Good. Fuck Putin and the rest of shit stains in Russia. Pieces of shit. Canada is doing the world proud. Meanwhile, Trump is too busy licking the hairy sweat off Putin's balls to stand up to him.

Mr. F

Banned
I've been disappointed with Trudeau on the whole so far, despite voting for him, but glad programs like this can exist. The situation in Chechnya is heartbreaking, hopefully there are more international initiatives to continue offering help to marginalized people that need it most.

CazTGG

They took a toll from their already low levels when Russia attempted to run a disinformation campaign against Chrystia Freeland by saying her grandfather was a Nazi (Freeland herself was banned from Russia for being critical of Putin's actions). Hell, one of the few good things that can be said about The Harper Years is that he told Putin, straight to his face, to get out of Ukraine. Mind, it didn't amount to anything more than finger-wagging but at least he wasn't a western cheerleader for Putin's Russia unlike a certain racist orange.

You weren't paying attention to the CPC's leadership, were you?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

it's a little weird that in a thread about how the government directly intervened to save dozens of lives (from abuse, torture, detention, and potentially death) you pivot to "actually he's only good at symbolic things, not things that really matter". i think probably for the people who are not dead because of this program, it's a little more than sunny ways.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
it's a little weird that in a thread about how the government directly intervened to save dozens of lives (from abuse, torture, detention, and potentially death) you pivot to "actually he's only good at symbolic things, not things that really matter". i think probably for the people who are not dead because of this program, it's a little more than sunny ways.

I doubt he's gonna come back. looks like it was just a drive by.

Where are you getting that from?

Slavery abolished in British Empire including what became Canada - 1834
Slavery abolished in the US - 1865
Canada became its own country - 1867

Even this doesn't paint an accurate picture. Slavery was abolished in the British Empire in 1834, but by that point it had been abolished in some parts of Canada for 40 years. Under John Simcoe, the legislature in Upper Canada (which is now Ontario) passed the first law in the British Empire banning slavery in 1793.

On topic: this news certainly makes the NDP's outrage about the lack of public Liberal response seem a little silly.

Top Bottom