• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G1 Climax XXV |OT| New Japan Pro-Wrestling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gonzalez

Banned
Great show today.

Am I correct in thinking Okada has the block tied up if he beats Nagata next week?
No, Okada actually is leading with 12. It'd be a tie if Okada loses, and Goto & Nakamura win their respective matches.

Also I agree, this was a great show, with to me the best match of the tournament, and a MOTY contender in Goto Vs. Ishii.

No, Okada actually is leading with 12. It'd be a tie if Okada loses, and Goto & Nakamura win their respective matches.

Also I agree, this was a great show, with to me the best match of the tournament, and a MOTY contender in Goto Vs. Ishii.

Ah, ok. What happens in the event of a tie though? For example, if Goto doesn't get the wins he needs, then Nak beats Okada, leaving them tied in points - how do they resolve that?

In which Nakamura would advance, since he holds the tiebreaker victories over Okada and Goto. Here's how the rest on the tourney breaks down for the last two nights of block play-

Block A:

Naito: Wins if he wins his final two matches, as he holds the tiebreaker victories against Tanahashi, AJ, and Fale. Since his last two matches are against Gallows and Tenzan, each with only one win, this will require a huge upset against him.

AJ: Wins if Naito loses to either Gallows or Tenzan and has to beat both Fale and Tanahashi.

Fale: Wins if Naito loses to either Gallows or Tenzan, Has to beat both AJ and Yano. Currently holds the tiebreaker against Tanahashi.

Tanahashi: Wins if Naito loses to either Gallows or Tenzan, Fale loses to either AJ or Yano, and he beats both Makabe and AJ.:

Shibata: Wins if Naito loses to Gallows or Tenzan, Fale loses to AJ or Yano, Tanahashi loses to Makabe and ties AJ, and beats both Gallows and Tenzan.

Makabe: Pretty much the same as above Shibata, but also requires Shibata to lose to both Gallows AND Tenzan.

Everyone else is eliminated.

Block B:

Okada: Wins if he beats both Nagata and Nakamura.

Anderson: Wins if he beats both Yujiro and Kojima, and Okada loses to both Nagata and Nakamura.

Nakamura: Wins if he beats both Kojima and Okada, since he would hold the tiebreaker, and Anderson loses to either Yujiro or Kojima.

Goto: Wins if he beats both Elgin and Nagata, Anderson loses to both Yujiro and Kojima, Nakamura loses to Kojima and ties Okada, and Okada loses to Nagata and ties Nakamura, since Goto has the tiebreaker.

Everyone else is eliminated.

I'm excluding stuff like draws here because it would just complicate things more. Once the tournament moves to the Ryogoku the picture will be a lot clearer. Still, Naito is in a crazy good position right now, as he's moving on barring a huge upset (which will, of course, happen, because no way is NJPW putting on AJ vs. Tanahashi without something on the line.)

Another good show last night. I would have pegged Ishii going over Goto for sure (since I picked him to be his next IC title challenger) but maybe they will still go that route.

Thanks Sandalphon, that's cleared up all of my G1 amateur questions, cheers!

I think Nak is going to win his block, but A Block is up in the air. Coming into the tournament I thought AJ, but they're really pushing Naito's heel turn and you can never count out Tanadough against the odds.

I've noticed Naito getting increasingly handy with the refs - is this foreshadowing that he'll throw one of his matches by dq when a ref finally stands up for himself? Or is that kind of booking above New Japan?

RP912

Banned
Now I know why I hate round robin tournaments. I have no clue who is in the lead or who needs to pick it up...

All I know is it's a shame that Bata and Naka not doing so well in the tournament :(

Thanks Sandalphon, that's cleared up all of my G1 amateur questions, cheers!

I think Nak is going to win his block, but A Block is up in the air. Coming into the tournament I thought AJ, but they're really pushing Naito's heel turn and you can never count out Tanadough against the odds.

I've noticed Naito getting increasingly handy with the refs - is this foreshadowing that he'll throw one of his matches by dq when a ref finally stands up for himself? Or is that kind of booking above New Japan?

At this point it's pretty much the only booking that makes sense unless they want to book Tenzan to get a huge upset.

Pizoxuat

I'm slowly catching up on August 9. I have no exposure to ROH and I was under the impression that Elgin's some sort of joke from people who do. So I gotta ask, what's up with Elgin? Because he looks like a hellaciously strong dude who is far from immobile and I find myself paying attention to all his matches in the G1 Climax.

Elgin's always had the tools, but struggled to put everything together - also, while the fans were really behind him in his initial run for the ROH title, some poor booking and lacklustre matches caused them to turn on his eventual title reign. Japan's good for him because he has to wrestle with a bit of restraint - once he became ROH champ he fell into the trap of trying to live up to that Epic ROH Main Event standard set by the likes of Bryan & McGuinness, he gave too much to his opponents (especially for a guy his size) and his matches were too formulaic, too move-heavy. He's adapted really well to the Japanese style, which is no surprise as he's a big fan, and it's definitely showing him in a different light. Very happy to see people changing their minds about him and I'd say he's got a good future with NJPW.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Elgin's always had the tools, but struggled to put everything together - also, while the fans were really behind him in his initial run for the ROH title, some poor booking and lacklustre matches caused them to turn on his eventual title reign. Japan's good for him because he has to wrestle with a bit of restraint - once he became ROH champ he fell into the trap of trying to live up to that Epic ROH Main Event standard set by the likes of Bryan & McGuinness, he gave too much to his opponents (especially for a guy his size) and his matches were too formulaic, too move-heavy. He's adapted really well to the Japanese style, which is no surprise as he's a big fan, and it's definitely showing him in a different light. Very happy to see people changing their minds about him and I'd say he's got a good future with NJPW.

It also helps we have a shitload of fresh matches for him and he actually looks big in a lot of them. In America it felt like a war of attrition - waiting for him to fizzle out over the course of what felt like a million matches. Everything is fresh here and inside of the ring he has the opportunity to reinvent himself, which he absolutely could not do in ROH due to his history there.

RP912

Banned
Elgin is pretty much booked right in NJPW. He's not a pretentious dick ala ROH, but more of a strong contender that's going for the G1.Him, Naito, Yujiro (come at me haters), and Anderson been the best thing going in the G1.

Now I know why I hate round robin tournaments. I have no clue who is in the lead or who needs to pick it up...

All I know is it's a shame that Bata and Naka not doing so well in the tournament :(

Both still have a shot to win it, although Shibata is fledgling at best. Nak has a much better chance, though it requires Anderson to eat an upset to Yujiro (lol) or Kojima (much more likely). He's still my pick...again, they wouldn't do Nakamura vs. Okada as the last Block B match and not have it decide the block.

Well last night was....interesting.

1. Gallows' upset of Naito solves the issue of Naito being in the finals, but the way Naito has been competing nobody saw that coming. Rumor is that La Sombra is returning to join him as a tag team, they had a great showing in the tag league last year (only losing due to a final day upset by Rob Conway and Jax Dane), and they could be getting the tag title shot at WKX, this could be the beginnings of a feud with Anderson and Gallows.

2. Tenzan with another mega-upset over Shibata, eliminating him from the tournament. I figured Shibata would be getting a decent push after some huge tournament wins, but this one really kills his momentum. I mean, everyone loses to Yano, but getting beat by Tenzan is one step above Honma at this point.

3. MY BOY Yano with the Tanahashi Special on Ibushi leads me to believe a feud is starting up between the two. YANOWNED!

4. Okay, AJ vs. Fale was VERRRY interesting, with AJ getting pissed when Fale wouldn't throw the match, and Fale hulking out, attacking everyone in sight including other Bullet Club members. AJ eventually won with a Ric Flair foot on ropes pin, and everything calmed down after that, but still, very interesting to see some chinks in the BC's armor.

5. Oh, and Tanahashi beat Makabe, thus making it, as was made pretty obvious, AJ vs. Tanahashi to win the block, barring a draw, in which case Naito wins if he beats Tenzan, Fale wins if he beats Yano and Tenzan beats Naito, and if both lose and they draw, I assume they have another match during the G1 final to decide the winner? Probably won't happen, but still, it comes down to what everyone expected.

Also, even though NJW didn't have commentary, awesome to see KO-FUCKING-BASHI at the commentary desk. Great to see him working with New Japan thanks to their alliance with NOAH.

Aiii

So not worth it
LOVED AJ vs. Fale. Great crowd brawl, great shenanigans and a nice tbc with the finish.

This is gonna be good.

Tenzan with another mega-upset over Shibata, eliminating him from the tournament. I figured Shibata would be getting a decent push after some huge tournament wins, but this one really kills his momentum. I mean, everyone loses to Yano, but getting beat by Tenzan is one step above Honma at this point.

I actually thought this match was pretty perfect, Shibata totally brought the best out of Tenzan and it was a really ferocious performance from the old guy. The finish was great as well, Shibata didn't submit, he just got caught and couldn't escape.

I actually thought this match was pretty perfect, Shibata totally brought the best out of Tenzan and it was a really ferocious performance from the old guy. The finish was great as well, Shibata didn't submit, he just got caught and couldn't escape.

Sorry, my markdom for Shibata was seeping through. I agree it was a great match, I just don't like that he lost to Old Man Tenzan. It also really shows that New Japan really doesn't know what to do with him, he beat big names like Makabe, Naito and Ibushi, but also lost to Yano and Tenzan. I'm kind of hoping with his victory over Makabe he can go into a feud for the NEVER title so he can win it and actually have a singles title win, perhaps bring it to an even higher level than Ishii did, because it's not helping Makabe any.

Agreed, everyone wants to see Tana as IWGP or IC champ, but it's easy to forget that he's not had a singles title run in his entire career - putting the NEVER belt on him would be a good way to elevate it, as Nakamura did with the IC belt.

Incidentally, I was surprised Doc beat Naito, as I thought it would be Tenzan to spoil Naito's run to the final (due to the comments Naito made about Tenzan needing to retire already), but with Naito going to CMLL in September and, as you point out, likely bringing Sombra back with him for the tag league this loss helps set up for an eventual LOS INGOBERNABLES vs Bullet Club title match at WK10.

Agreed, everyone wants to see Tana as IWGP or IC champ, but it's easy to forget that he's not had a singles title run in his entire career - putting the NEVER belt on him would be a good way to elevate it, as Nakamura did with the IC belt.

I'm pretty sure you slipped and meant Bata, because even puro diehards don't want to see Tana as IWGP champ again. IC champ maybe.

Anyway, interesting card for the penultimate night of block B, including a rematch of the MOTY, Ishii vs. Honma. Nothing is on the line for this one (except for Honma's G1 losing streak) so this is just going to be two guys stiffing the fuck out of each other, so I can't wait. Nakamura vs. Kojima and Okada vs. Nagata should just be matches to put both men over before their likely block-deciding final match, and Goto vs. Elgin could be very good considering how great both men have been this tournament, and definitely a big upset opportunity for Unbreakable. After last night, I'm also interested in Anderson vs. Yujiro - with the Bullet Club nearly being ripped apart single-handedly by Fale and now another inter-faction match, it'll be interesting to see if history repeats itself.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Okada loses to Nagata - Okada'll probably need at least one more challenger for his run in to the Tokyo Dome, plus with tomorrow being the first-ever singles meeting between Okada & Nagata, what better time to cause a huge upset for the champ?

Tenzan... in 2015. Shibata deserved more!

As did Naito. He's been the highlight of the G1 and he gets jobbed out to frickin' Gallows. Looks like my ref abuse/DQ loss theory is out of the window.

Loved seeing Yano get the comedy win though, despite being over the excellent Ibushi.

AJ/Fale was fun too. I get no joy out of Makabe so I skipped to the end of the Tanadough match.

AJ/Nak final? Or Nak/Tanahashi?

EDIT: Jesus wept. My avatar. At least a glance at Bootay's makes me realise things could have been worse!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm fine with never seeing Shibata again. I'm so tired of his shit.

RP912

Banned
I'm fine with never seeing Shibata again. I'm so tired of his shit.

tumblr_inline_n9c34pOsFB1qgfe3m.gif

AJ vs Nak finals.

Give me Big Mike vs Naito at WK10.

It's going to be Nak vs. either AJ or Tana, that's a given. Problem is do they want Nak to play heel or face, since he's so good at both. I've predicted him vs. AJ numerous times since it's a massive dream match, and I think now is the time.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I don't mind him, I'd sooner see the back of Gallows and Makabe. Oh, and fucking Yujiro.

I feel the same about Gallows, despite being a HUGE fan of him initially.

Yujiro needs to stop. He's gonna kill someone. I'm still holding out hope on the final night of the G1 Honma gets his first win. They can't do him dirty two years in a row.

I feel the same about Gallows, despite being a HUGE fan of him initially.

Yujiro needs to stop. He's gonna kill someone. I'm still holding out hope on the final night of the G1 Honma gets his first win. They can't do him dirty two years in a row.

I enjoy Yano, but even as the comedy guy, he never finds himself getting the Honma shaft. Honma has to get a win after last year right?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I enjoy Yano, but even as the comedy guy, he never finds himself getting the Honma shaft. Honma has to get a win after last year right?

He has to. But not against the Noble Mind himself.

It's gotta be against that cunt Yujiro.

It might be an unpopular opinion, but I really dislike Cody Hall. It must be a strong dislike because I notice this despite the fact he's often stood next to undisputed cunt Yujiro.

Any word on the undercard matches for the final? Apart from the Bucks/ReDragon match?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It might be an unpopular opinion, but I really dislike Cody Hall. It must be a strong dislike because I notice this despite the fact he's often stood next to undisputed cunt Yujiro.

Hall just needs more time, he'll get there. And out of the Young Backs influence.

Hall just needs more time, he'll get there. And out of the Young Backs influence.

Given that he looks like a cross between his dad and Orton, i'd imagine he'll be heading away from the Bucks to McMahonland soon enough. Can't imagine any politics owens politics happening between Vince and H over a second generation clique-ster.

I COULD see him getting the win tonight over Ishii and get his win back from their MOTYC earlier, but I think it makes a lot more sense dramatically for him to finally get his win over that cunt Yujiro on the last night of Block B (which, btw, is his new official name). That said, it would ruin a lot of Honma's charm in the G1, for him to actually get that fleeting singles win. It's like the anti-Streak.

I COULD see him getting the win tonight over Ishii and get his win back from their MOTYC earlier, but I think it makes a lot more sense dramatically for him to finally get his win over that cunt Yujiro on the last night of Block B (which, btw, is his new official name). That said, it would ruin a lot of Honma's charm in the G1, for him to actually get that fleeting singles win. It's like the anti-Streak.

Well, I sort of called it! :D HONMANIA RUNNING WILD BABY!

Y'know, it was a great match, and easily the biggest win of Honma's career (and I'm pretty sure his only singles win since returning to New Japan in 2013) but I can't help but feel a little disappointed they didn't save it until the final day, but I guess they wanted to focus on the Block B drama. Hey, maybe he'll beat that cunt Yujiro and have a second win in the G1! (but let's not get too crazy, right?)

Nakamura and Okada's wins set up a big showdown in block B, as Okada has clinched the block and can only be beaten in a tiebreaker at this point. If Okada beats Nakamura, he's in the final. If Goto beats Nagata and Okada beats Nakamura, Goto is in. And if Goto beats Nagata and Nakamura beats Okada, then Nakamura is in.

Honma said this is the start of his winning streak, so I really hope he steam-rolls Yujiro tomorrow. What a moment and what a reaction from the Korakuen crowd! Awesome stuff. I also thought #BigMike vs Goto was great as well, Goto gave Elgin A TON of offence and only managed to put him away with the Goto Shiki cradle (AKA the move he uses on dudes he can't safely lift for the Shouten Kai). Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Elgin defeat him in their ROH match, either for the title or to set-up a title match.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit, Honma won? Fucking yes! I can't wait to watch the crowd melt down in happiness!

Nisa65

Holy shit, Honma won? Fucking yes! I can't wait to watch the crowd melt down in happiness!

It was a great match too. Honma has been the highlight of the tournament for me.Never fails to be entertaining and the crowds love him. I marked out a little bit myself when he got the win.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It was a great match too. Honda has been the highlight of the tournament for me.Never fails to be entertaining and the crowds love him. I marked out a little bit myself when he got the win.

Anyone who feels strongly about "but he didn't get a win!" in any context could stand to watch how fucking over Honma is.

Pizoxuat

Not gonna lie, when I subscribed so I could watch G1 CLimax, I suspected that it would just been too much wrestling and I'd end up skipping a bunch of it. But that hasn't been the case at all, and I am damn happy about that.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Not gonna lie, when I subscribed so I could watch G1 CLimax, I suspected that it would just been too much wrestling and I'd end up skipping a bunch of it. But that hasn't been the case at all, and I am damn happy about that.

I've been NOWHERE near able to catch up. It's been too overwhelming for me.

That was great! Honma gets what he deserves, finally...

Is the Bullet Club on the verge of meltdown? AJ was being very defensive of that cunt Yujiro.

Another great night, i'm going to miss my catch-ups once it's all over.

Pizoxuat

I've been NOWHERE near able to catch up. It's been too overwhelming for me.

I'm a day behind at this point. I watch a couple of matches during lunch, one during my break, and some more after work before switching over to games. It's a lot, but I find I actually want to watch it all.

Caught up with today's matches, AJ/Tanadough was an amazing match

except Tanadough wins lol. What the fuck? Please tell me we're not going to get the New Japan equivalent of Cena/Orton yet again...

UberTag

I'm still waiting for that interpromotional Cena vs. Tanahashi match that lasts 2 hours, features them kicking out of 50 finishers and ends in a double pin. After which they hop up unphased not selling any punishment from the match, raise each other's arms up and pose for the crowd before telling the press how each other was their greatest opponent ever and like looking in a mirror.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom