• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G20 Hamburg Summit - Hype Thread!

Blablurn

The 2017 G20 Hamburg summit is the twelfth meeting of the Group of Twenty (G20) held on 7–8 July 2017 in the city of Hamburg (Germany).

The Group of Twenty is comprised of 19 countries plus the European Union. The countries are Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, India, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, South Korea, Turkey, the United Kingdom and the United States of America.

g20_weltkarte_en.jpg

Economic affairs – the strongest economies

The G20 countries produce around 80 percent of global economic output in terms of gross domestic product (GDP) adjusted for purchasing power parity. In 2015, China’s GDP was around 19.7 billion international dollars when adjusted for purchasing power parity. This makes China the largest economy in the world, followed by the United States, India and Japan. Germany was in fifth place, at 3.9 billion international dollars.

Global trade – the most successful exporting countries

G20 countries account for three‑quarters of global trade. China, the United States, Germany and Japan are the four largest exporting countries in the world. Of the 20 countries with the largest volume of exports worldwide, 15 are members of the G20.

People – the countries with the largest populations

Around two‑thirds of the global population live in the G20 member countries. China, the country with the largest population in the world, has approximately 1.38 billion inhabitants, closely followed by India, which has a population of 1.3 billon. The United States, Indonesia and Brazil are next in the list. Germany is in seventeenth place.

Surface area – the largest countries

Russia is the largest country in the world in terms of surface area. Its some 144 million inhabitants live in an area of around 17 million square kilometres. Indonesia is the world’s largest island country. It is spread across 17,508 islands. Brazil is both the largest and the most populous country in South America, with a population of over 200 million.

Partners – key international institutions

At the invitation of each Presidency, international organisations also regularly attend the G20 meetings. These organisations include the International Labour Organization (ILO), the International Monetary Fund (IMF), the Financial Stability Board (FSB), the World Bank (WB), the World Trade Organization (WTO), the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) and the United Nations (UN). The German G20 Presidency has also invited the World Health Organization (WHO) in 2017.

Participation – the most important guests

Spain attends the G20 Summits as a permanent guest. The Presidency can also invite representatives of regional organisations and guests to the G20 Summit. The German Presidency has invited Norway, the Netherlands and Singapore as partner countries to the G20 process, as well as the African Union (AU), represented by Guinea, the Asia‑Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC), represented by Vietnam, and the New Partnership for Africa’s Development (NEPAD), represented by Senegal.

Which topics does the G20 address and what are its most important issues?

The G20 heads of state and government traditionally focus on issues concerning global economic growth, international trade and financial market regulation. They endeavour in particular to strengthen the global financial system and to improve the supervision and regulation of financial market participants, including what is known as the shadow banking system. The aim is to ensure that no financial market, financial market participant or financial product remains unsupervised. Taxpayers should not have to foot the bill again for bailing out financial market participants. Germany in particular has been pushing for measures to tackle harmful tax competition between countries and to combat the aggressive tax policies adopted by international firms, and not just since the publication of the Panama Papers. To this end, the G20 has adopted a package of measures, which is now being implemented.

Furthermore, the G20 constantly addresses ways to achieve strong, sustainable and balanced global economic growth and to boost employment. Since the first G20 summit in Washington DC in 2008, trade has also been an item on the G20’s permanent agenda, as growth and employment are dependent on free global trade. The G20 therefore regularly sends clear messages against protectionism and in favour of fair terms of competition.

Other issues of global significance are often closely linked to economic questions. Examples include climate change, development policy, labour market and employment policy, the spread of digital technology and, currently, refugee policy issues and counter-terrorism. That is why ministerial meetings are held in addition to the summit at the invitation of the respective host country.

And what can we expect?

Germany's Merkel says many 'thorny issues' at G20

Trump and Merkel will meet for their third time on Thursday, a day ahead of the two-day summit in Hamburg that is expected to highlight deep transatlantic differences over open trade, defense spending, migration and climate change.

Read more here: http://www.dw.com/en/germanys-merkel-says-many-thorny-issues-at-g20/a-39531671

Are you ready, GAF? Cause G20 is almost here!

As long as I somehow get to work on Friday I'm happy. It's gonna be interesting to get to the gym in the evening though, haha.
Seriously, I'm already so annoyed by this shitshow.

Mendrox

Fuck G20 here in Hamburg. It will be impossible to get to work tomorrow or rather leave and get to home. Working in Altona and my company told us "welp we need some IT people here so we will see tomorrow". In the mean time most of the companies nearby just close and even shops are closing. It's already a clusterfuck.

Fuck G20 here in Hamburg. It will be impossible to get to work tomorrow or rather leave and get to home. Working in Altona and my company told us "welp we need some IT people here so we will see tomorrow". In the mean time most of the companies nearby just close and even shops are closing. It's already a clusterfuck.

Fortunately I'm working in Bahrenfeld, so I should be able to avoid most of it... I hope. Still, I was hoping to get at least Friday off, which is not gonna happen because they need someone here.

Man, I just want it to be over already.

Rektash

All my colleagues that work in Hamburg will be in homeoffice the entire week because of G20.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
The Saudi king canceled his visit at the last minute eventhough they were planning big

The title for the most demure delegation will go, as always, to Saudi Arabia. The Saudis have rented out the entirety of Hamburg's swanky Four Seasons hotel - Trump tried to book himself in and got refused - and that's only 160 rooms of the 400 in total the delegation will occupy. A hotel ballroom has been repurposed as a suitably spacious living room, and Saudi King Salman ibn Abd al-Aziz will be bringing his own throne and a golden escalator with which to disembark his airplane.
There are also reports that camels will be flown in to supply the delegation with fresh camel's milk, but Hamburg police say they know nothing about this and the Saudi Arabian embassy denied it. But even without the dromedaries, the Saudis are guaranteed to make a oil-rig-sized splash.

edit:
Optimus Prime is ready, too

Fritz

Fun times!!

Love how Merkel and Jinping are meeting up in advance today, signing trade deals, while Trump visits his great ally Poland

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Fun times!!

Love how Merkel and Jinping are meeting up in advance today, signing trade deals, while Trump visits his great ally Poland
I mean, it is a good ally. Poland spends 2% of GDP on military, leans right-wing and populist, is the new "opposition" inside the EU after Britain is leaving and their stance on refugees is well known. Pretty good fit for what he is probably trying to achieve.

KHlover

Banned
Anyone wanna bet if the inevitable property damage will end up being 5 figures (lol), six figures or seven figures?

Mimosa97

Spain is the 14th biggest economy in the world. Why aren't they a permanent member of the G20 and only a permanent guest?

Fritz

I mean, it is a good ally. Poland spends 2% of GDP on military, leans right-wing and populist, is the new "opposition" inside the EU after Britain is leaving and their stance on refugees is well known. Pretty good fit for what he is probably trying to achieve.

The best ally

But you're right. Thing is, compared to the UK they are completely insignificant outside of vetoing EU decisions.

Xando

Counted 17 police vans on my way home from work (~15 minutes) and choppers are circling almost 24/7.

Everyone i know is already annoyed by this shit.

Fuck G20

Shit will get real in the Schanzenviertel, that's for sure.

Can't wait.

Police already water cannoned people last night because they were drinking beer on the streets lol

KDR_11k

Why don't they hold these summits on an aircraft carrier or some private island where they're not bothering the locals?

Shiggy

Glad I'm not in Hamburg this weekend. Hope those idiots won't do too much damage to people, businesses, and people's property.

Why don't they hold these summits on an aircraft carrier or some private island where they're not bothering the locals?

That would be too easy.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
From what I understand the G20 is just too many people and no remote location would be big enough. They do G8 events like that, though.

JustRon

Neo Member
Police already water cannoned people last night because they were drinking beer on the streets lol

Pretty fucked up, actually. According to Tagesschau the protesters were peaceful and streets were only blocked after the police arrived. By the police.

The amount of deliberate provocation is messed up. Having the summit in Hamburg is a messed up move, having Hartmut Dudde in charge of police is fucked up too. Not to mention the amount of fearmongering by Germanys/Hamburgs police and politicians.

Oersted

Pretty fucked up, actually. According to Tagesschau the protesters were peaceful and streets were only blocked after the police arrived. By the police.

The amount of deliberate provocation is messed up. Having the summit in Hamburg is a messed up move, having Hartmut Dudde in charge of police is fucked up too. Not to mention the amount of fearmongering by Germanys/Hamburgs police and politicians.

Breaking the law as police officer. No wonder Dudde went up the ladder.

Top Bottom