• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G20 Hamburg Summit - Hype Thread!

Siegcram

Police already water cannoned people last night because they were drinking beer on the streets lol
And they deployed radar because they're afraid of drone shenanigans.

I'll get there tomorrow, probably submarines there by then.

cameron

Fun times!!

Love how Merkel and Jinping are meeting up in advance today, signing trade deals, while Trump visits his great ally Poland

Poland's government reportedly promised 'a reception of cheering crowds' as part of its invitation to Trump: http://bit.ly/2tqaRYg

— Kyle Griffin‏ (@kylegriffin1) July 5, 2017

AP: Trump looks for friendlier European welcome in Poland
Trump’s first trip to Europe as president in May saw a series of awkward encounters, including a tough speech to the leaders of NATO countries urging them to spend more on their armed forces, an uncomfortable handshake with France’s new president, and a caught-on-camera moment when Trump pushed past the prime minister of Montenegro, Europe’s newest country, while squeezing his way to the front of a crowd.

But Poland may offer Trump a chance to shine.

According to Polish media reports, Poland’s government promised the White House a reception of cheering crowds as part of its invitation. To make good on that pledge, ruling party lawmakers and pro-government activists plan to bus in groups from the provinces to hear Trump’s speech.

The White House didn’t respond to a request for comment on those reports.

With Trump’s sights already set on the 2020 election, his visit to Poland could also be seen as a power play for battleground states like Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania, which are home to hundreds of thousands of Polish-American voters.

Trump may also seek to use Poland as an exemplar of partnership. A U.S. ally in Iraq and Afghanistan, Poland is one of the five NATO members that spends at least 2 percent of their gross domestic product on the military. That’s something that Trump — and U.S. leaders before him — have demanded of NATO allies. Trump has scolded other NATO members for falling short on their commitments.

Poland is also host to about 1,000 U.S. troops, and is supporting U.S. and NATO forces in Iraq and Afghanistan. It’s also a regular customer for U.S. military equipment.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Poland's government reportedly promised 'a reception of cheering crowds' as part of its invitation to Trump: http://bit.ly/2tqaRYg

I wonder if a Polish person could speak to that, because Trump is not popular there either. It's maybe not as bad as in other countries, but big cheering crowds would really surprise me.

edit:

Well, The Guardian explains it
The ruling party is bussing in its supporters from all over Poland, encouraging them to take part in a ”great patriotic picnic" on the occasion of Trump's visit. The idea is to make the big man feel as good about himself as possible, which will hopefully benefit Poland in some way, such as a more categorical assertion that Nato would – under US leadership – protect Poland from any aggression from Moscow.

Oersted

I wonder if a Polish person could speak to that, because Trump is not popular there either. It's maybe not as bad as in other countries, but big cheering crowds would really surprise me.

edit:

Well, The Guardian explains it

Its nice to want things you won't get

KDR_11k

I get the impression that left extremism isn't much of a thing in the US, if people want to see what that looks like then observe the G20 protests. This is gonna get ugly.

I wonder if they'll have the crowd marching by and going around in a loop to look bigger, like in the Soviet days...

Oersted

I get the impression that left extremism isn't much of a thing in the US, if people want to see what that looks like then observe the G20 protests. This is gonna get ugly.

I wonder if they'll have the crowd marching by and going around in a loop to look bigger, like in the Soviet days...

Atleast US Gaf knows how police violence looks like, am I right?

Blablurn

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump
16h

Trade between China and North Korea grew almost 40% in the first quarter. So much for China working with us - but we had to give it a try!

in the meanwhile:

image-1162253-860_poster_16x9-wwkc-1162253.jpg

That's gonna be awkward tomorrow.

Tyaren

Pandas are part of Chinese diplomacy, legally all of them belong to China and they are rented out to zoos around the world.

It's actually really interesting. With a lot of official circumstance China just recently lend a pair, Meng Meng and Jiao Qing, to Berlin Zoo for the next 15 years. The Zoo has to pay 1 million € per panda each year and after 15 years, or in the chance there is offspring, China will claim them back.
There are just 25 zoos in the world that have giant pandas. It's a big deal for a zoo to be able to host them and some kind of zoo knighthood.

Blablurn

The Associated Press @AP
15s

BREAKING: Trump calls on nations to confront North Korea's "very, very bad behavior," vows consequences for missile launch.

There will be sooooo many interesting stories this weekend.

tolkir

Spain is the 14th biggest economy in the world. Why aren't they a permanent member of the G20 and only a permanent guest?

Probably each part of the world must be represented and Europe already have 5 members with the EU and 6 if we count Russia.

What's he done?

I'll repost what I wrote in PoliGAF

Trump was all over the place about Russian interference. One minute he was saying, it could be Russia but probably some other people or countries. Then he said it was Russia, but it was Obama's fault for not doing anything because he thought Hilary would win. Then he said not all intelligence agencies agreed if it was Russia who was responsible. Then he was back to saying it was probably Russia, but maybe others.

Complete clusterf*ck of a response. It was basically a Greatest Hits version of all his incoherent talking points on Russia.

Then the press conference ends abruptly.

Dehnus

I can't. Bunch of clowns.

Well, it's what the USA wants or they don't even come. Which to me would be "Okay, bye... stay away then.". But the USA even gets drones in the sewers, drones they can control without ever telling the German government what they are upto. It's fucked up.

Still it's also Germany's fault for accepting that shit. They can just go "you know what, fuck it, do it in New York then, as this is against our citizens rights!".

But nope we rather suck up than to have principle.

Mendrox

Taking the train home in a few minutes. Will be full as hell here in Altona soon. Everyone who doesn't live here should take the train home before it's 2PM.

My sister lives in in Hamburg, right there in the hood that's going to get hot over the next few days.

Gonna be interesting!

Ac30

I'll repost what I wrote in PoliGAF

Trump was all over the place about Russian interference. One minute he was saying, it could be Russia but probably some other people or countries. Then he said it was Russia, but it was Obama's fault for not doing anything because he thought Hilary would win. Then he said not all intelligence agencies agreed if it was Russia who was responsible. Then he was back to saying it was probably Russia, but maybe others.

Complete clusterf*ck of a response. It was basically a Greatest Hits version of all his incoherent talking points on Russia.

Then the press conference ends abruptly.

Yep, sounds like the reasoned responses you'd expect from Trump.

Dehnus

Really? Really shows your political bias. Most left wingers in Europe are tame at best, there are some extremist like violent anarchists... but that's about it.

You also have rioters in the USA, just because you are told in Europe that "Right is like their left!" doesn't make it so. Your perception of "Left Wing extremism" is all how the media brings it. For instance, the Dutch side of my relatives linked an Article from "the Telegraaf" or some news paper like that. Peaceful protests, but they were still called "hotheads, even though it was just a peaceful protest for the awareness of climate change.

Trump: "it could be Russia, it could be other people in other countries too. No one really knows for sure. Our intelligence agencies have been wrong before."

In other words, same old shit.

Zaph

Yeah, you know, our Western civilisation is at stake because all the bombs, invasions, and destruction over the last few decades happened to us and not the Middle East....

Xando

Welcome to hell protest due to go by my work when i will go home.
Water Cannons already positioned near our parking lot

Why do they do this stuff in a major city. Rent out one of those fancy places in the mountains or countryside. Seems a lot easier to manage that way.

Why do they do this stuff in a major city. Rent out one of those fancy places in the mountains or countryside. Seems a lot easier to manage that way.
They did that in 2012. G20 was at Camp David. There's a small mountain town nearby called Thurmont and that's it.

I was living there at time. A small mountain town was not and cannot be prepared for the masses diving on one location. It sucked.

Ac30

Yeah, you know, our Western civilisation is at stake because all the bombs, invasions, and destruction over the last few decades happened to us and not the Middle East....

Trump himself poses a bigger danger to the existing Western world order than scary brown people.

Axial

Poland is a very conservative, traditionalist country so there's a fair share of people over here who actually root for Trump, and those who don't either don't care, are a minority or simply belong to a large group of people who are very much scared of Russia and desperate for assurances from the USA(regardless of who is currently running the country) about a constant presence of American troops in Poland - this is quite ironic considering Trump would be probably the first one to make a deal with Russia over everyone's heads.

Top Bottom