• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G4 Icons

These episodes are pretty great and tell you a lot about the history of gaming.

https://www.youtube.com/user/G4Icons/videos

Also, look who I found

jO7zQC2.png

Chuck

Still without luck
Icons was amazing. It's how I learned about a lot of video game figures as a kid, including Tim Schafer, Miyamoto, Ralph Baer and so many others.

kogasu

Loved this show back when G4 was awesome. Icons was an excellent series that really needed to have an official release somewhere.

Tace

Haha yeah! Icons was great. I remember watching it on G4 way back in the day when I was a wee lad. I wish someone would bring it back. So much has happened in the industry since this show was out. How far did it even get to? Right before the 360 launch? PS3/Wii? Wow. Time does flow, doesn't it? Who would be the Icons now, I wonder?

Haha yeah! Icons was great. I remember watching it on G4 way back in the day when I was a wee lad. I wish someone would bring it back. So much has happened in the industry since this show was out. How far did it even get to? Right before the 360 launch? PS3/Wii? Wow. Time does flow, doesn't it? Who would be the Icons now, I wonder?

I think 2003ish, since in the Xbox video one of the main developers said that he was working on the Xbox Two more than the OG Xbox.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

The original gaming-centric Icons aired from 2002 to 2005, after which it was revamped for one season into a more pop culture-oriented format with subjects like Mark Ecko and the Suicide Girls.

Also maybe the thread in which to note that next month is the 10th anniversary of the G4/TechTV merger, or at least the 10th anniversary of remaining TechTV production (X-Play, The Screen Savers, Unscrewed) moving down to Los Angeles from San Francisco.

Chuck

Still without luck
Used to love icons. Watch those videos on youtube from time to time over again. Really miss cinematech the most though :(

that show was awesome too. I loved when they would show an entire speedrun in the corner of an episode while the rest of it was going. so cool.

Tace

The original gaming-centric Icons aired from 2002 to 2005, after which it was revamped for one season into a more pop culture-oriented format with subjects like Mark Ecko and the Suicide Girls.

Also maybe the thread in which to note that next month is the 10th anniversary of the G4/TechTV merger, or at least the 10th anniversary of remaining TechTV production (X-Play, The Screen Savers, Unscrewed) moving down to Los Angeles from San Francisco.

Ah, ok. Thanks to you and nhlducks35 for clearing that up. I knew it was before the start of the seventh gen, just wasn't sure when. Speaking of the merger, that was a huge thing for me. I had been watching TechTV and X-Play ever since the Extended Play days. Never saw G4 until they had already announced the merger. I remember being stoked that I would have more gaming related programs to watch. If I could tell my 11 year old self what would happen, I'd probably break down in tears.

Sam Bishop

Neo Member
This is such a perfect encapsulation of what we in the industry at the time thought would make it all feel legitimate. I know it's hackey at this point to talk about the days gone by, but this it, guys. We really felt like we had arrived, and mixed in with all these parties and the access we had before games PR walled things off? This was it; people too goofed up on coke and ridiculous party budgets and genuine ins with PR folks raking in the stock options.

Those of us at the time saw stuff like this and we knew we'd made it.

This level of access to the old times will never, ever happen again.

Give serious credit to the guys making this program; we'll never have one like it.

Cassius

Speaking of these old shows on G4, is there anywhere we can watch them or have they disappeared? I'd love to watch Cinematech again.

Top Bottom