• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Artists... Create-A-Folk Contest

kassatsu

Banned
This October, Folklore,™ an amazing new fantasy action-adventure game, hits the PLAYSTATION®3! To celebrate, we're giving you a once-in-a-lifetime chance to make a character that will be included in the game!
In Folklore, you'll take a fantastic journey into realms of the Netherworld, places full of spirits, fairies, creatures and monsters. These inhabitants are called "Folks." As a Netherworld traveler, you are able to capture these Folks and make their attacks (abilities) your own.

Folklore features over 100 kinds of Folks you can collect and use.

Can you create another one? Create the winning Creature and we'll put it in the game!

RULES

* No purchase necessary
* Promotion ends 8/31/07
* Open to legal U.S. residents who are currently registered PlayStation® Underground™ members
* Void where prohibited
* See Official Rules for details
Full details here:
http://www.us.playstation.com/EP/Promotions/286

blackadde

All entries become the sole property of Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. ("Sponsor") and none will be returned. Entrants relinquish all rights to their entry and will not receive any compensation.

thanks for the information, but that's pretty lame. no decent artist in the world handles spec work like this.

blackadde

Saitou said:
That's why they're making a contest, silly.

there are ethical and unethical contests. one where they take all the intellectual rights to your creation and apply it to a commercial product with marginal benefit to the artist is clearly unethical. beyond that it devalues the work of people actually in the industry and those doing everything they can to get their foot in the door.

Chris_C

blackadde said:
thanks for the information, but that's pretty lame. no decent artist in the world handles spec work like this.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but this is a contest for gamers, not professional illustrators, its for fun, not work. The idea isn't to earn monies.

blackadde

i'm not going to go on a big tirade about this. like you said, this is a contest that's aimed at a very specific demographic, so my initial reaction might have been a little overboard. spec work is just something that's more accepted than it really should and will seriously discourage anyone with a backing in the industry (read: people who can actually design an interesting character) from entering.

fobtastic

blackadde said:
i'm not going to go on a big tirade about this. like you said, this is a contest that's aimed at a very specific demographic, so my initial reaction might have been a little overboard. spec work is just something that's more accepted than it really should and will seriously discourage anyone with a backing in the industry (read: people who can actually design an interesting character) from entering.

"We could pay someone to do it... or we could hold a contest and have a bunch of ideas to choose from!"

blackadde said:
there are ethical and unethical contests. one where they take all the intellectual rights to your creation and apply it to a commercial product with marginal benefit to the artist is clearly unethical. beyond that it devalues the work of people actually in the industry and those doing everything they can to get their foot in the door.

While I agree with your sentiment, it's not like this shit is unprecedented. At least they admit to fucking you in the ass at the door.

With that said, good luck folks!

At the very least if you do win it's a portfolio piece in a big budget game. A foot in the door.

antiloop

blackadde said:

I don't think they care though. -_-

antiloop said:
I don't think they care though. -_-

Yep, I watch aspiring cartoonists offer their creations to faceless / nameless Internet slave masters with the foolish ambition of seeing their creation in print.

With the long history of the American Comic Industry screwing creators in the ass, these rubes hand over everything because of their own naivete.

I imagine it's no different in gaming.

Still, there are plenty of folks out there willing to just turn tricks for the corporate pimps because they can't see past their next fix.

Top Bottom