• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Book Club (Aug 2011) - "The Count of Monte Cristo" by Alexandre Dumas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mumei

Edmond Dantès said:
Yes, indeed.

It's a stark contrast to the hubristic agent of vengeance that I eventually become as the narrative progresses. Although, been incarcerated
for 14 years and preparing for 10 years
will do that to a person.

Edited for accuracy, Monsieur Le Comte.

And whose diabolical idea was it to have today end on that chapter, anyway? I couldn't stop reading there!

So I'm not as far as you guys (Because I've never noticed this thread before) but seeing it convinced me to download The Count of Monte Cristo for my nook. Only ~70 pages in and I'm enjoying it far more than my last choice. Only 1100 pages left!

Hari Seldon

This is probably my favorite book of all time. Absolutely love it and highly recommend it to those who haven't read it yet. The Audible.com read version is excellent.

Cyan

Banned
Open Sesame! Yeah, that was sort of a cliffhangery place to stop, wasn't it? :p

A lot more change for Edmond in these chapters. Hopeful to despairing, and everything in between. Some great scenes between him and the Abbe. Too bad the Abbe didn't build a chessboard out of wax and scraps of bedding.

It's funny. One of the things that sticks out in my mind, from my first reading of this book years back, was the post-escape stuff. I'd been going along right with Edmond, thinking only of how he'd get out of the prison. Suddenly, whoops! Turns out there's a lot more to worry about. That Edmond evades the dragnet with (relative) ease undermines that only a little. Amazing how little forethought there was, despite the years of planning.

Random side note: d'you suppose this is where the number stuff in The Prisoner comes from? Only just noticed that. I'm also pretty sure there's tons of other stuff that alludes to the prison scenes here, though nothing comes to mind right at the moment.

Just finished the book and I must say, the ending was fitting, if a little bittersweet.

What he did to Danglars in the end was nothing short of vicious and put a smile on my face. He did go a bit far with Villefort - inciting a poisoner is to play with fire. Morcerf though, bastard got what was coming to him.

I didn't like how he didn't even try to repair things with Mercedes, though that's a bit understandable - he did ruin her life, after all. What annoyed me was how Haydee was sort of shoehorned in as a love interest only toward the end. Obviously, Dumas wanted a happy ending for Edmond and Mercedes in the end, but realised that it wouldn't work given how proud his characters were and had them follow their 19th century instincts to their logical conclusion. I wanted to grab Edmond by the shoulders, shake him and go "She still loves you, man! That 'I cannot be forgiven' act is all bullshit! Say the word and she'll melt into your arms! Stop being so damn proud and French!"

Anyhow, great book. The dialogue can be a bit cheesy at times (probably due to being translated over a century ago - an updated edition would flow much better, no doubt) and the fact that the notes in my version were endnotes rather than footnotes was annoying, but it's up there with the greats.

Mumei

Cyan said:
Open Sesame! Yeah, that was sort of a cliffhangery place to stop, wasn't it? :p

A lot more change for Edmond in these chapters. Hopeful to despairing, and everything in between. Some great scenes between him and the Abbe. Too bad the Abbe didn't build a chessboard out of wax and scraps of bedding.

It's funny. One of the things that sticks out in my mind, from my first reading of this book years back, was the post-escape stuff. I'd been going along right with Edmond, thinking only of how he'd get out of the prison. Suddenly, whoops! Turns out there's a lot more to worry about. That Edmond evades the dragnet with (relative) ease undermines that only a little. Amazing how little forethought there was, despite the years of planning.

Random side note: d'you suppose this is where the number stuff in The Prisoner comes from? Only just noticed that. I'm also pretty sure there's tons of other stuff that alludes to the prison scenes here, though nothing comes to mind right at the moment.

I thought of The Prisoner when I came to the chapter with their numbers, too. I only saw about half of The Prisoner, and I remember less than half of that, though.

The first time I read this, I was really interested in getting to the Count of Monte Cristo bits, so there's a large chunk where I probably wasn't paying as much attention as I should, particularly in the coming chapters. It'll be interesting to see all that I missed now that I'm keeping the characters straight and not skimming when I start to lose interest. I've been enjoying it much more since reading it more carefully this time. In particular,
the chapters with Abbe Faria and Edmond (XIV through XIX) were some of my favorite chapters thus far, and it was really nice getting Edmond's extended perspective. Which does remind me of something else, but I'll comment on it separately.

With regards to the character perspective bit I mentioned in the earlier block of spoiler text:

I'm trying to remember now whether Dumas ever writes specifically from Edmond's perspective again in the book. It does seem interesting that once he escapes and becomes a 'hubristic agent of vengeance' (thanks, Edmond!) (actually even before that, when he is rewarding his friends while disguised) that we suddenly are unable to view things from his perspective. Of course, that's all bunk if we actually do get chapters directly from his perspective again. I suppose I'll find out, but the choice does a lot to distant and dehumanize him.

In any case, I've read ahead a bit, so I'm holding off so I can get back on the schedule.

Cyan

Banned
You guys, I'm kind of a doofus. I totally forgot that I probably won't have internet access while I'm on vacation. Seems so natural to just always have it. :p

So I won't be able to post milestones or discuss things for a week or so. Mumei (or Edmond!), would you be willing to take over for a bit?

I can do tomorrow's milestone in the morning or late tonight. But after that... we're all doomed!

Mumei

Cyan said:
You guys, I'm kind of a doofus. I totally forgot that I probably won't have internet access while I'm on vacation. Seems so natural to just always have it. :p

So I won't be able to post milestones or discuss things for a week or so. Mumei (or Edmond!), would you be willing to take over for a bit?

I can do tomorrow's milestone in the morning or late tonight. But after that... we're all doomed!

I'll try it if Edmond isn't interested in doing it. I'd rather he do it, though.

Cyan

Banned
Mumei said:
I'll try it if Edmond isn't interested in doing it. I'd rather he do it, though.
Cool. It's nothing that should be too onerous; the main point is to remind people of where we're at so people can discuss if they like. And to bump the thread. :p

P.S. "He was told, with that impertinence which is peculiar to cab drivers when they have already been booked and innkeepers whose establishments are full, that there was no more room for him in the Hotel de Londres..." <3

Cracked me up. Some things never change.

And oh man, massive digressions ahoy! But that's for the next milestone. :) See you guys later!

Mumei

Cyan said:
Cool. It's nothing that should be too onerous; the main point is to remind people of where we're at so people can discuss if they like. And to bump the thread. :p

P.S. "He was told, with that impertinence which is peculiar to cab drivers when they have already been booked and innkeepers whose establishments are full, that there was no more room for him in the Hotel de Londres..." <3

Cracked me up. Some things never change.

And oh man, massive digressions ahoy! But that's for the next milestone. :) See you guys later!

There's several pages at one point (it might be a bit ahead of where we are supposed to be) where Dumas spends time talking about Italian women and how their behavior would ruin a Parisian woman's reputation if she did even one of the things he mentioned, with a (French) character complaining that he can't tell if Italian women are interested or not because of it. It's pretty funny.

bengraven

I'm behind: we're about to get to Dantes' trial right now. I'm finding the concept pretty great, though the set up of Dantes seems to comical, it's shocking to think that they're going to put him away for so long...and sometimes even Danglars doesn't seem sure it's what he wants.

But that said, Dang needs to die soon for what he did, even second-hand.

Mumei

bengraven said:
I'm behind: we're about to get to Dantes' trial right now. I'm finding the concept pretty great, though the set up of Dantes seems to comical, it's shocking to think that they're going to put him away for so long...and sometimes even Danglars doesn't seem sure it's what he wants.

Do you have the Robin Buss translation?

Mumei

bengraven said:
Yes, and I apologize if I mispelled anything, I'm just a bit drunk and tired.

Oh, no. I just wasn't sure which one you choose when you said you got it on your Kindle and was curious.

I'm excited for you to catch up. <3

Edit: So did I misunderstand, or was Cyan still planning on doing Monday's milestone?

Bah. I'm going to update tonight with Saturday's milestone and today's. I thought from Cyan's post that he was going to do Saturday's, but I guess he didn't have a chance before leaving.

Mumei

So! An update and a double post (apologies). I think either Cyan didn't have a chance to make the Saturday update or he misunderstood my volunteering to mean that I was planning on making the next update myself. C'est la vie, yes? In any case, by the end of business today, we are supposed to have read through Chapter XXXVIII. I cheated once again and am slightly ahead of that mark.

I remember when I first read Chapter XXXIII ('Dazzled,' in the Buss translation), I didn't really know what to think when we were told what Dantès found in the hidden treasure. Exactly how much money had he come into? How wealthy was he? I wasn't quite sure. I tried looking it up to see what his wealth would be today, and I found ranges from a few hundred million (which seems a bit low, honestly) to a few billion. I suppose it is sort of difficult to determine given that much of it is in the form of precious gems and gold ingots. More important than the precise amount, though, I loved the sense of anticipation and suspense. Everyone knows that the money is going to be there (since that much, at least, everyone knows of the story), but Dumas manages to drag it out and make it suspenseful even so.

Spoilers for at least some of the rest of the chapters follow; I figure I'll just spoiler all the rest instead of trying to put up spoiler text here and there:

The next section has Dantès putting some of his minor affairs / debts in order before his revenge plot can begin. He begins by going to Caderousse to fill in the holes of what he didn't know. Presumably due to the Abbé's influence, Dantès has become able to disguise himself, particularly his voice, and uses this to take on other personas such as Abbé' Busoni, Lord Wilmore, the English Chief Clerk of the Thomson and French banking firm, and so forth. Dantès' mild revenge on Caderousse - making him believe that he was to receive a hazelnut-sized diamond only to give him a fake - was just about perfect. I actually forgot that this happened when I last read, so that was a pleasant surprise. It was awful learning what happened to Louis Dantès, though. Edit: Weird, I might've misinterpreted the scene where his wife suggests that he might've been given a fake and he asks what reason he would have to do that (I could think of a perfectly could reason why he would want to do that) a bit; I thought that he was given a fake, but apparently not.

After that, he rescues M. Morrel from financial ruin (in fittingly dramatic fashion, naturally) and we are introduced to Franz d'Epinay (who is much more sensible than Albert). Franz meets Sinbad the Sailor while on the Isle of Monte Cristo, and then meets up with Albert de Morcerf while in Rome. I recall reading somewhere the Dumas actually began writing the story at this point, and only later went back and wrote the 'backstory.' I think it's much better for it. We finally hear mention of The Count of Monte Cristo in these chapters and it only took us 300-and-change pages to make it to that point, and it isn't too much longer after that point that the Count takes it upon himself to make their acquaintance.

I think for me the highlights of the chapters in Rome are Chapter XXXIII, since I really love vignettes told within a larger story and The Count of Monte Cristo has such wonderful vignettes that also manage to still be important, and Chapter XXXVII, since there was something almost comical about the conversations between Luigi Vampa, The Count of Monte Cristo, and Albert. 'Signor Luigi,' Albert continued, 'are there any other formalities to be completed before we may take leave of Your Excellency?' 'None at all, Monsieur,' the bandit said. 'You are as free as the air.' 'In that case, I wish you a long life and good fortune. Come, gentlemen, come!' We end the section in Rome with Albert and the Count agreeing to meet at Albert's home at Rue du Helder, on the 21st of May, at half past ten in the morning.

And naturally Cyan was a dick again and chose to end this section just before that meeting was supposed to take place.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Mumei said:
I can certainly do the next milestone on Wednesday if that's okay with you and I'd be willing to do Friday's as well if I'm not to busy.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
bengraven said:

Oh, his downfall is so much more satisfying than simple death, although I personally feel that Villefort's comeuppance is even worse.
Mumei said:
So! An update and a double post (apologies). I think either Cyan didn't have a chance to make the Saturday update or he misunderstood my volunteering to mean that I was planning on making the next update myself. C'est la vie, yes? In any case, by the end of business today, we are supposed to have read through Chapter XXXVIII. I cheated once again and am slightly ahead of that mark.

I remember when I first read Chapter XXXIII ('Dazzled,' in the Buss translation), I didn't really know what to think when we were told what Dantès found in the hidden treasure. Exactly how much money had he come into? How wealthy was he? I wasn't quite sure. I tried looking it up to see what his wealth would be today, and I found ranges from a few hundred million (which seems a bit low, honestly) to a few billion. I suppose it is sort of difficult to determine given that much of it is in the form of precious gems and gold ingots. More important than the precise amount, though, I loved the sense of anticipation and suspense. Everyone knows that the money is going to be there (since that much, at least, everyone knows of the story), but Dumas manages to drag it out and make it suspenseful even so.

Spoilers for at least some of the rest of the chapters follow; I figure I'll just spoiler all the rest instead of trying to put up spoiler text here and there:

The next section has Dantès putting some of his minor affairs / debts in order before his revenge plot can begin. He begins by going to Caderousse to fill in the holes of what he didn't know. Presumably due to the Abbé's influence, Dantès has become able to disguise himself, particularly his voice, and uses this to take on other personas such as Abbé' Busoni, Lord Wilmore, the English Chief Clerk of the Thomson and French banking firm, and so forth. Dantès' mild revenge on Caderousse - making him believe that he was to receive a hazelnut-sized diamond only to give him a fake - was just about perfect. I actually forgot that this happened when I last read, so that was a pleasant surprise. It was awful learning what happened to Louis Dantès, though.

After that, he rescues M. Morrel from financial ruin (in fittingly dramatic fashion, naturally) and we are introduced to Franz d'Epinay (who is much more sensible than Albert). Franz meets Sinbad the Sailor while on the Isle of Monte Cristo, and then meets up with Albert de Morcerf while in Rome. I recall reading somewhere the Dumas actually began writing the story at this point, and only later went back and wrote the 'backstory.' I think it's much better for it. We finally hear mention of The Count of Monte Cristo in these chapters and it only took us 300-and-change pages to make it to that point, and it isn't too much longer after that point that the Count takes it upon himself to make their acquaintance.

I think for me the highlights of the chapters in Rome are Chapter XXXIII, since I really love vignettes told within a larger story and The Count of Monte Cristo has such wonderful vignettes that also manage to still be important, and Chapter XXXVII, since there was something almost comical about the conversations between Luigi Vampa, The Count of Monte Cristo, and Albert. 'Signor Luigi,' Albert continued, 'are there any other formalities to be completed before we may take leave of Your Excellency?' 'None at all, Monsieur,' the bandit said. 'You are as free as the air.' 'In that case, I wish you a long life and good fortune. Come, gentlemen, come!' We end the section in Rome with Albert and the Count agreeing to meet at Albert's home at Rue du Helder, on the 21st of May, at half past ten in the morning.

And naturally Cyan was a dick again and chose to end this section just before that meeting was supposed to take place.
It's strange how they handled the treasure finding sequence in the 2002 film, the treasure chests were at the bottom of an underground pool and Jacopo was with him. I don't really understand how they could of rescued those chests full of treasure even with the strength of two men, who were highly strung at the time. But I digress, the film is a totally different beast to the novel.

Mumei

Edmond Dantès said:
I can certainly do the next milestone on Wednesday if that's okay with you and I'd be willing to do Friday's as well if I'm not to busy.

Wonderful. <3

As far as adaptations go, I'm only familiar with, uh, the Great Illustrated Classics super-abridged version and the anime Gankutsuou (which is more of a re-imagining of the story than an adaptation).

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Mumei said:
Wonderful. <3

As far as adaptations go, I'm only familiar with, uh, the Great Illustrated Classics super-abridged version and the anime Gankutsuou (which is more of a re-imagining of the story than an adaptation).
The film omits many of the things that really makes The Count of Monte Cristo such a multi-layered masterpiece, it's a bare bones retelling of the story with some dubious changes made, especially the ending.

Personally, I'd recommend the French mini-series starring Gerard Depardieu. It's probably the most faithful adaptation out there at the moment. It's well worth tracking down for any fan of The Count of Monte Cristo.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Albert, Albert, Albert... he continues to be enchanted by the Count; his saviour. His preparations for the meeting with Monte Cristo are very well thought out. We're also introduced to M. Beauchamp, a journalist and Lucien Debray the minister of the interior, who although not particularly key to the narrative, are interesting additions, nonetheless.

Then we have the great entrance by Monte Cristo into Parisian society and his discomfort at meeting Maximilian once more. Monte Cristo enchants all the guests, but he alone seems taken with Maximilian. Monte Cristo regales everyone with the story of how he once captured Luigi Vampa and his bandits and then let them go on the condition that they never harm either himself or his friends.

What follows next is one of the great moments in the narrative, Monte Cristo's meeting with Albert's mother and father. Fernand fails to recognise Edmond for who he really is and is charmed by him, a stark contrast to Mercédès who seems to recognise him almost instantaneously. She's so taken aback that she nearly doubles over. A woman's intuition perhaps or a deep love rising from the ashes as she sees a specter from the past.

We're then treated to Bertuccio's past and another sub-plot is continued. At this point in the narrative it still seems like another piece in a grand jigsaw, but it certainly comes together as the narrative progresses. We learn the fate of Caderousse and the evil that he carries out...not so innocent is he. In previous chapters we see Edmond rewarding the innocent and then vowing to punish the wicked. A miscalculation by Edmond to reward Caderousse or setting the wheels of another plan into motion? We'll soon find out. We also learn the back story of Benedetto, a vile creature who ends up playing an extremely important role in Edmond's vengeance.

We then see Danglars thoroughly humbled by Monte Cristo as he claims unlimited credit with the bank. Monte Cristo then proceeds to win good favour and a good name as his Nubian slave saves Madame de Villefort and her son from peril.

One of my favourite lines from the novel follows in the next chapter as Villefort visits Monte Cristo to thank him for saving his wife and son. They end up discussing their respective views of justice and Monte Cristo states, "I wish to be Providence myself, for I feel that the most beautiful, noblest, most sublime thing in the world, is to recompense and punish". Chilling, coming from him and sends a shiver up my spine.

Mumei

Hooray; I get to read more. :3

Monte Cristo's lines about Providence and justice are some of my favorites in the series.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
I'm catching up, and I'm at chapter XXXIV now, and have a quick question about chapter XXXIII ('Roman Bandits'):

At the point in Luigi Vampa's story when he meets Sinbad the Sailor is this bit:
----------
Franz d'Epinay started with surprise.

"Sinbad the Sailor." he said.

"Yes," replied the narrator; "that was the name which the
traveller gave to Vampa as his own."

"Well, and what may you have to say against this name?"
inquired Albert; "it is a very pretty name, and the
adventures of the gentleman of that name amused me very much
in my youth, I must confess." -- Franz said no more. The
name of Sinbad the Sailor, as may well be supposed, awakened
in him a world of recollections, as had the name of the
Count of Monte Cristo on the previous evening.
--------------

Now, as far as I can tell, not once in the book before this had the phrase "the Count of Monte Cristo" appeared, nor does that part seem to have anything to do with what actually happened the previous evening, which was not much. Does anyone know what that part refers to? My edition pretty diligently lists translation errors in the notes, but this part doesn't have one. Dumas does seem a bit sloppy with his dates and references, so did he just make a mistake here? Or have I just totally missed something?

Mumei

John Dunbar said:
I'm catching up, and I'm at chapter XXXIV now, and have a quick question about chapter XXXIII ('Roman Bandits'):

At the point in Luigi Vampa's story when he meets Sinbad the Sailor is this bit:
----------
Franz d'Epinay started with surprise.

"Sinbad the Sailor." he said.

"Yes," replied the narrator; "that was the name which the
traveller gave to Vampa as his own."

"Well, and what may you have to say against this name?"
inquired Albert; "it is a very pretty name, and the
adventures of the gentleman of that name amused me very much
in my youth, I must confess." -- Franz said no more. The
name of Sinbad the Sailor, as may well be supposed, awakened
in him a world of recollections, as had the name of the
Count of Monte Cristo on the previous evening.
--------------

Now, as far as I can tell, not once in the book before this had the phrase "the Count of Monte Cristo" appeared, nor does that part seem to have anything to do with what actually happened the previous evening, which was not much. Does anyone know what that part refers to? My edition pretty diligently lists translation errors in the notes, but this part doesn't have one. Dumas does seem a bit sloppy with his dates and references, so did he just make a mistake here? Or have I just totally missed something?

I am not sure if this is what you're asking or if it'll answer your question if it is, but
the name "Count of Monte Cristo" reminded him of the previous evening because that experience (with Sinbad the Sailor) took place on the Isle of Monte Cristo, and he happened to have heard the name 'The Count of Monte Cristo" for the first time the previous night.

I hope that makes sense.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Mumei said:
I am not sure if this is what you're asking or if it'll answer your question if it is, but
the name "Count of Monte Cristo" reminded him of the previous evening because that experience (with Sinbad the Sailor) took place on the Isle of Monte Cristo, and he happened to have heard the name 'The Count of Monte Cristo" for the first time the previous night.

I hope that makes sense.

Yeah, that's sort of how I figured, but
as far as is in the actual the book, all you find out is that some rich dude has rented most of the floor. Monte Cristo is not mentioned, and Franz doesn't seem to have much of a reaction. It just strikes me as a bit odd to refer to events like that; the first time a character in the book hears about "the Count of Monte Cristo" should have been worth an actual mention, so when it's dropped in like that ("oh yeah, this happened yesterday but didn't bother to write it when I was actually writing about yesterday") it just took me out of the story for a moment.

Mumei

John Dunbar said:
Yeah, that's sort of how I figured, but
as far as is in the actual the book, all you find out is that some rich dude has rented most of the floor. Monte Cristo is not mentioned, and Franz doesn't seem to have much of a reaction. It just strikes me as a bit odd to refer to events like that; the first time a character in the book hears about "the Count of Monte Cristo" should have been worth an actual mention, so when it's dropped in like that ("oh yeah, this happened yesterday but didn't bother to write it when I was actually writing about yesterday") it just took me out of the story for a moment.

I am reading the Buss translation, and in my version it was mentioned. You're either reading a different translation, or forgot about it: Chapter XXXII Awakening: "The apartment they had rented consisted of two little rooms and a study. Both bedrooms overlooked the street, a feature the Signor Pastrini emphasized, as enormously enhancing their worth. The remainder of the floor was rented to a very rich gentleman, believed to be a Sicilian or a Maltese: the hotelier could not say precisely to which of the two nations the traveller belonged. He was called the Count of Monte Cristo." I believe that this is the first time that title is mentioned in the book, and in the next chapter is where the part you first mentioned happens during Signor Pastrini's story about Luigi Vampa and Sinbad the Sailor. I hope that helps.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Mumei said:
I am reading the Buss translation, and in my version it was mentioned. You're either reading a different translation, or forgot about it: Chapter XXXII Awakening: "The apartment they had rented consisted of two little rooms and a study. Both bedrooms overlooked the street, a feature the Signor Pastrini emphasized, as enormously enhancing their worth. The remainder of the floor was rented to a very rich gentleman, believed to be a Sicilian or a Maltese: the hotelier could not say precisely to which of the two nations the traveller belonged. He was called the Count of Monte Cristo." I believe that this is the first time that title is mentioned in the book, and in the next chapter is where the part you first mentioned happens during Signor Pastrini's story about Luigi Vampa and Sinbad the Sailor. I hope that helps.

My version is almost the same, except that last sentence is not there. I checked the French language version on Project Gutenberg (which I assume is the original text by Dumas), and it also ends after the bit about the host not knowing where he came from; nothing about his name. I'm guessing your translator noticed the mistake and attempted to rectify it. Still, it does not account for a lack of reaction in Franz, unless the translator added that, as well.

Mumei

John Dunbar said:
My version is almost the same, except that last sentence is not there. I checked the French language version on Project Gutenberg (which I assume is the original text by Dumas), and it also ends after the bit about the host not knowing where he came from; nothing about his name. I'm guessing your translator noticed the mistake and attempted to rectify it. Still, it does not account for a lack of reaction in Franz, unless the translator added that, as well.

That is possible, with regards to the translator adding that line.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Monte Cristo goes to visit his beautiful Greek slave, Haydée, in her separate apartments, which are decorated in the most sumptuous Oriental style. He tells Haydée that she is free to do whatever she pleases and is free to leave him or stay with him. She pledges Monte Cristo her undying loyalty, but he reminds her that she is still only a child, twenty years old, and has the right to go off and live her own life whenever she chooses.

The following exchange always gets me; "My child," returned Monte Cristo "you know full well that whenever we part, it will be no fault or wish of mine; the tree forsakes not the flower -- the flower falls from the tree."

"My lord," replied Haidee, "I never will leave you, for I am sure I could not exist without you."

"My poor girl, in ten years I shall be old, and you will be still young."

"My father had a long white beard, but I loved him; he was sixty years old, but to me he was handsomer than all the fine youths I saw."

Monte Cristo pays a visit to Maximilian Morrel, who is staying with his sister, Julie. Julie is now married to Emmanuel Herbaut, the young clerk who remains loyal to Julie’s father out of love for her. Their house is filled with a sense of bliss, love, and serenity that overwhelms Monte Cristo with emotion. When he comments on the uncommon happiness of this household, Emmanuel and Julie tell him of the angelic benefactor who once saved them. They show Monte Cristo the relics of this angel—the red silk purse and the diamond—and lament that they have never identified their benefactor.

Monte Cristo reminds Madame de Villefort that they have met once before, in Italy. She recalls the meeting and is struck by the fact that in Italy, Monte Cristo had been hailed as a great doctor because he had saved two lives. Madame de Villefort expresses interest in Monte Cristo’s knowledge of chemistry, particularly his knowledge of poisons. He describes to her the method he used to make himself immune to poison and also describes an excellent antispasmodic potion he has, which, as Madame de Villefort saw when Monte Cristo revived Edward, is effective in small doses. Monte Cristo’s potion is lethal in large doses, however, but kills the victim in such a way that he or she appears to die of natural causes. In response to Madame de Villefort’s hints, Monte Cristo offers to send her a vial of the potion the next day.

Albert de Morcerf and Lucien Debray visit Monte Cristo. They discuss Albert’s engagement to Eugénie Danglars. Albert is reluctant to marry Eugénie, despite her extreme beauty and wealth, as she seems “too erudite and masculine.” In addition, Mercédès is very upset at the prospect of having Eugénie as a daughter-in-law, and Albert cannot imagine doing anything to cause his mother pain.

So, Noirtier we meet again. A stroke has left him with only the powers of sight and hearing, so he is unable to communicate with anyone but Villefort, Barrois, and Valentine. Valentine is Noirtier’s sole happiness in life; because of her love and devotion, she is able to read all of her grandfather’s thoughts and desires in his eyes. Villefort and his wife break the news of Valentine’s engagement, and Noirtier is silently enraged, since Franz’s father was his greatest political enemy.

Mumei

Still keeping up!

I would've never thought that a character incapable of movement beyond his eyes and incapable of speech could be so badass, but Noirtier pulls it off.

I found the part where Valentine says, "But, in heaven's name, what do you know? Men show their best side to an officer like you, who is five feet six inches tall, has a long moustache and carries a broad saber," to be rather amusing, since while no doubt 5'6" was rather tall in the 1830s, it is still fairly short today.

In any case, The Count's various plans - the telegraphs, faking Benedetto's grand entrance in Parisian society as Andrea Cavalcanti, trolling (really, it describes it properly) Villefort with the scene in the garden and misleading his investigations, the subplot with Héloïse de Villefort's poisoning, and so forth have all begun in earnest through Sunday's milestone, and the plot's getting particularly exciting. I don't remember how everything works out and I'm excited to find out.

vareon

Holy hell this is a long, long read. I have the book since like four months and haven't finished it yet, but I still want to read it.

Mumei

vareon said:
Holy hell this is a long, long read. I have the book since like four months and haven't finished it yet, but I still want to read it.

Join us! You can still make it. :D

Cyan

Banned
I have to be honest here, folks. While I was on vacation, I... I read the whole thing! But I took down notes on my reactions to certain events, and I will post them in due course. ;)

In the meantime, let's discuss stuff through the latest milestone chapter, LXXX "The Accusation."

So! Some stuff:
-Chapter LXI, "How to Rescue a Gardener..." I loved this chapter for its random one-off badassery. The Count just walks up, makes some small talk, then bribes the shit out of some dude (and basically turns him into a fugitive). Awesome! No shame, just "here's a pile of money now do what I say."
-Also awesome: the ice cold garden walkthrough (LXIII, "Dinner") with Villefort and Mme Danglars, where the Count basically taunts them about the dead baby. Bonus points for Villefort's horrified realization that the Count's story can't possibly be true and what that must mean. Bahaha!
-Return of Caderousse. Well, after what happened earlier in the story when the Count came to visit, no surprise he's turning up again. Surely he'll throw a wrench or two into things. (Fun fact! In the real-life events which this story was based on, the guy who became Caderousse actually killed the guy who became the Count/Dantes.)
-Maximilian and Valentine. Uuuuurgh. I have to say, this is the single worst plot thread in the book. If it weren't for the importance of Valentine to the Villefort storyline... well. The saccharine overblown pure love they have for one another when, as far as I can tell, they haven't so much as kissed (or held hands?). Yeah, it just irritates and bores me. Sorry Morrel, your kid needs to man up and grow some damn balls. God his whining is annoying.
-Mercedes is a smart lady.
-Noirtier is fucking badass. The scene where he causes Franz to read through the document that implicates him, knowing exactly how Franz will react and that it will get him exactly what he wants... and all the while, sitting there unable to move, but with his eyes glinting. Gave me shivers, that did. Don't fuck with the paralyzed dude.
-The Correspondent from Janina (LXXVIII), and Haydee (LXXVII). Ah, the seeds are being sown even now.
-The Accusation (LXXX). And here, some earlier seeds are at last bearing fruit. I don't think the Count would have necessarily foreseen or planned for Barrois' death. He's just an innocent victim. And of course, he doesn't know that his young friend Morrel is in love with Valentine, even now being (quietly and behind closed doors) accused of murder most foul. Still, it seems to me the Count's seeds are bearing more or less the fruit he'd hoped for.

Man! A lot of stuff happens in this book, doesn't it. Who else is still working on reading at this point?

SoulPlaya

more money than God
How did I miss this thread? Monte Cristo is number three on my favorite books of all time list. Anyone here ever read the D'Artagnan Romances? Easily the best series in literature, imo. Dumas was such a masterful author. Him, Dostoevsky, Maugham, Dickens, Tolstoy all belong to an upper echelon. Oh, Hugo too for Les Miserables.

Mumei

Cyan said:
I have to be honest here, folks. While I was on vacation, I... I read the whole thing! But I took down notes on my reactions to certain events, and I will post them in due course. ;)

In the meantime, let's discuss stuff through the latest milestone chapter, LXXX "The Accusation."

So! Some stuff:
-Chapter LXI, "How to Rescue a Gardener..." I loved this chapter for its random one-off badassery. The Count just walks up, makes some small talk, then bribes the shit out of some dude (and basically turns him into a fugitive). Awesome! No shame, just "here's a pile of money now do what I say."
-Also awesome: the ice cold garden walkthrough (LXIII, "Dinner") with Villefort and Mme Danglars, where the Count basically taunts them about the dead baby. Bonus points for Villefort's horrified realization that the Count's story can't possibly be true and what that must mean. Bahaha!
-Return of Caderousse. Well, after what happened earlier in the story when the Count came to visit, no surprise he's turning up again. Surely he'll throw a wrench or two into things. (Fun fact! In the real-life events which this story was based on, the guy who became Caderousse actually killed the guy who became the Count/Dantes.)
-Maximilian and Valentine. Uuuuurgh. I have to say, this is the single worst plot thread in the book. If it weren't for the importance of Valentine to the Villefort storyline... well. The saccharine overblown pure love they have for one another when, as far as I can tell, they haven't so much as kissed (or held hands?). Yeah, it just irritates and bores me. Sorry Morrel, your kid needs to man up and grow some damn balls. God his whining is annoying.
-Mercedes is a smart lady.
-Noirtier is fucking badass. The scene where he causes Franz to read through the document that implicates him, knowing exactly how Franz will react and that it will get him exactly what he wants... and all the while, sitting there unable to move, but with his eyes glinting. Gave me shivers, that did. Don't fuck with the paralyzed dude.
-The Correspondent from Janina (LXXVIII), and Haydee (LXXVII). Ah, the seeds are being sown even now.
-The Accusation (LXXX). And here, some earlier seeds are at last bearing fruit. I don't think the Count would have necessarily foreseen or planned for Barrois' death. He's just an innocent victim. And of course, he doesn't know that his young friend Morrel is in love with Valentine, even now being (quietly and behind closed doors) accused of murder most foul. Still, it seems to me the Count's seeds are bearing more or less the fruit he'd hoped for.

Man! A lot of stuff happens in this book, doesn't it. Who else is still working on reading at this point?

There's a lot of badass stuff in this section - the Count's hilariously frank bribery, taunting Villefort, and when Noirtier did anything (imho Dumas gave him a stroke because if he wasn't paralyzed then no conflicts involving him would be at all suspenseful).

With regards to Morrel / Valentine, it's funny but it sort of reminds me of those so-pure-it-makes-you-laugh chivalry tales in Don Quixote that I read recently - falling in love with a girl he's barely seen, the emphasis on feminine chastity, getting overly excited about something like touching her hand, being irrationally emotional and melodramatic, etc. I can't really take their relationship completely seriously because of it.

Just checking in since I'm back from vacation. Didn't read as much as I thought I would. Still at the 7% mark, in fact. I have a lot of catching up to do!

Mostly I've been enjoying the read but with a sense of dread since I kind of know what will happen. More of a, "Oh noooo....I don't want this to happen" sort of feeling while I read it. I heard it was a good revenge story, so I'm waiting for the good revenge part to kick in.

Wow. This is, bar none, my favorite book. I have an abridged copy that is well worn, and finally got a hold of an unabridged copy for my Nook (thank you, Sea Manky <3 <3).

What I love about the book is that Dumas pere is trying to keep things constantly moving. IMHO there are very few slow spots, and the slow parts are there for a reason. I've also grown to prefer the unabridged. Even though there are sections that can be cut that don't interfere with the main plot, much of what was cut is still entertaining, like the greater role of Caderousse, and what was really going on with Danglars' daughter.

Cyan

Banned
Mrs. Manky said:
... and what was really going on with Danglars' daughter.
Man, I completely missed this my first time through the book, some years ago. And on this readthrough, it was clear as day. Was it really that covered over in the old translation, or was I oblivious?

Cyan said:
Man, I completely missed this my first time through the book, some years ago. And on this readthrough, it was clear as day. Was it really that covered over in the old translation, or was I oblivious?
I was reading the old translation. The translator was coy, but still makes it pretty obvious. That scene towards the end where
Benedetto falls down the chimney and catches them in bed
makes it really hard to not see what was going on.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Mumei said:
Cyan, Monsieur Dantès, where have you two gone? :(
Just been in a grotto smoking Hashish. :)

A nocturnal interview is certainly one of my favourite chapters. I nearly shed a tear the first time I read TCOMC many moons ago. Specifically, when Mercedes confronts Edmond.

"Edmond, you will not kill my son?" The count retreated a step, uttered a slight exclamation, and let fall the pistol he held. "What name did you pronounce then, Madame de Morcerf?" said he. "Yours!" cried she, throwing back her veil, -- "yours, which I alone, perhaps, have not forgotten. Edmond, it is not Madame de Morcerf who is come to you, it is Mercedes."

"Mercedes is dead, madame," said Monte Cristo; "I know no one now of that name."

"Mercedes lives, sir, and she remembers, for she alone recognized you when she saw you, and even before she saw you, by your voice, Edmond, -- by the simple sound of your voice; and from that moment she has followed your steps, watched you, feared you, and she needs not to inquire what hand has dealt the blow which now strikes M. de Morcerf."
Still gets me.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Cyan said:
I think her disdain for men made it quite clear, even Edmond had no effect on her and he captivated most of the women in the narrative, but Eugenie was not taken aback at all.

Prez

Damn it, how could I miss this thread. I've always wanted to read this book. How difficult is the original French book to read?

I just started the book on my kindle app. I'm up to the island of monte cristo chapter and am blazing throuh this book. i love it, but i got one question...what does 12 millin francs back then come out to today in dollars?

Edit: i don't know if I'm reading abridged or unabridged...

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
BladeoftheImmortal said:
I just started the book on my kindle app. I'm up to the island of monte cristo chapter and am blazing throuh this book. i love it, but i got one question...what does 12 millin francs back then come out to today in dollars?

A franc in the 19th century would be worth around $4.30 today.

Mumei

I'm a bit behind, but I should be caught up by tomorrow. I love the lines the Count has in the chapters LXXXVIII and LXXXIX, The Insult and Night.

BladeoftheImmortal said:

Unabridged is around 1200 - 1300 pages. Abridged is usually significantly shorter (I've seen editions that come in under 600 pages).

your namesake is great!

Mumei

BladeoftheImmortal said:
Thanks, i still don't know since im using the android vrsion of the book. edmond just got the treasue abd it says I'm only 20% finished.

I think that sounds about right.

Cyan

Banned
Wow, I really blew it on the milestones this month, huh? I blame vacations. All right, well we're supposed to be finished now, so all my comments will be spoiler tag-less.

From notes taken when I was reading:

The Hand of God / Caderousse -
Dantes has it right, here. He gave Caderousse every opportunity to reform. And yet he also consistently gave him chances to do wrong. In the one hand, forgiveness, in the other, temptation. And each time, the avarice of Caderousse won out. Each time, he failed.

Interesting that his sin slowly transformed from inaction (not saving Dantes, not stopping his wife from murdering the jeweler) to greed (a part of the murder, the whole of the Benedetto business). And his greed finally caught up to him.

Powerful closing moment, when he finally realizes who he's dealing with. Gave me shivers! And that's one revenge down.

Suicide / Fernand -
One more down. I wonder what Dantes' original plan was here. Kill Albert, then let Fernand come to him for the same? Seems unfair--cold-blooded, even--to take part of his revenge on the son, who had nothing to do with it. Especially when he'd made friends with him and all. I suppose it almost makes sense, inasmuch as Albert is a living symbol of Mercedes' lack of faith.

Fernand's sin never really changes. To get what he wants, what he really, deeply desires, he is willing to compromise his honor and betray others. It only happens twice, that we know of--Dantes and Ali Pasha--but what epic betrayals those were. The destruction of a man's life, taking away his family, his fiancee, and his career. The destruction of a government, another man's life, the theft of a fortune and the enslavement of the wife and child. (And even knowing the details of the second betrayal, Albert still wanted to duel over it? Huh.) Only fitting that Haydée should participate in the revenge as well.

Poor Mercedes, off to a life of solitude. Poor Albert, doomed to an ordinary life. His only crime was being the son of Fernand--well, perhaps a little vanity and flippancy.

Two down!

Expiation / Villefort -
And at last Dantes goes too far--and knows it. Of course he never forced Mme Villefort to kill anyone. But he handed her the weapon and showed her how to prime, shoot, and reload it, knowing exactly what the result would be (indeed, his conversation with Morrel shows that he expected Valentine to be murdered too). And so he is at least in part responsible for the deaths of five people who had nothing to do with his imprisonment, whose crime was no more or less than being related to Villefort. Benedetto should have been enough.

Villefort's sin, too, never changes. He goes along with Dantes imprisonment because he's afraid of his father's Bonapartism being discovered, afraid of the effect that might have on his life and his career. And once it's clear people are being murdered in his home, he does the same thing! He chooses to hide the crime, to allow the murderer to continue her horrible work, because he fears the consequences should it be discovered that there's a murderer in his house. He could have stopped the murders at any time by putting aside his self-image to save lives, but he never found the strength until too late.

The choice of revenge here goes well with his modus operandi of handing people just enough rope to hang themselves. Unfortunately, he gave Mme enough rope to hang other people, too.

Only one more to go...

The Bill of Fare / Danglars -
The final revenge is almost disappointing. Danglars, after all, was the chief architect of Dantes imprisonment--and the one with the least reason to do it! And here we have nothing more or less than a low-key, humiliating peeling-off of his money. Certainly the loss of his fortune is the ideal revenge--he seems to care not a whit what's happened to his wife and his daughter--but I rather hoped it would happen differently. What I really wanted was for him to discover the receipt the Count had given him to be worthless, then turn it over to find on the other side his original letter of denunciation. Bam! That would've put the fear of God in him. But I suppose it wouldn't have quite fit with the Count's usual method of allowing the person to do it to themselves.

Danglars sin, too, never changes. He's a venal man, motivated only by whatever brings him some personal gain. He betrays for the hope of future gain, he allows his wife to mess around because he thinks he can profit from it, he tries to marry off his daughter to a man he thinks will bring him still greater wealth. The only possible revenge against such a man is to take away his money.

What happened with Villefort showed Dantes he should consider mercy. And he does show mercy. Too bad Danglars was the conspirator who was up last. What a right bastard.

And that's that. Revenge? Check!

Morrel and Valentine -
Something lighter, something brighter was needed to clear the air of murder and betrayal and dark vengeance. It's just too bad this love story is so flat, trite, and melodramatic. Edmond and Mercedes had the far more compelling star-crossed love.

Also, I note that Dantes has a bad habit of waiting until the very last moment to save the day, thus causing needless suffering to his friends and pushing them to the point of suicide. A little mistake on the timing, and his friends would be dead. Reckless and hubristic!

I might have more to say, but that's what I had in my notes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom