• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf, did you collect marvel trading cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm spring cleaning with my sister and we stumbled across a box of various trading cards (some are X-Files, some are Street Fighter 2) but these ones really stood out to me.

6Iz2pps.jpg

4q51xEK.jpg

We were reminiscing how I used to drive my mum mad because I wanted a packet every week. We think they used to come with bubblegum, but we couldn't decide, but it was a nice moment to think back to getting out of school and going to a corner-shop with my mum and pleading with her to buy me a packet.

So Gaf, did you collect these or similar trading cards?

Yes I have the regular Marvel sets as well as the Xmen cards all of them are complete. I do not feel bad and I have kept them all these years because they are awesome.

Edit: I even have the stupid Star Wars card set that was released in the mid 90's.

Yes. Had the complete set of the first series. Had a good bit of the second series too.

Wonder what happened to all that. Probably got tossed out.

I almost have a full collection of those cards. I think I'm missing maybe 5-10.

I only have those I took a picture of. I do have the entire collection of X-Files cards and I do remember buying lots of the marvel cards so it's possible I have more in other boxes and folders.

In the early 90's Marvel Masterpieces were popular as shit at my school. We were all basically drug dealers but our drug was Wolverine.

ferr

i still have my collection of fleer ultra '94 x-men in a binder. the only cards from that set i never got were the silver x-overs i think.

best set there. i even had the weird rare shit like that 1-sheet (probably came with wizard), pizza hut versions of the cards, and a version of angel i think that had a missing number.

Hagi

I've still got a folder under my bed with all my X-Men issues that came with these awesome cards. Was really cool as a young kid getting the new issue of X-Men from the shop in the UK.

smoothj

Heck yes!

I remember blockbuster had a video game tournament promotion thing with donkey Kong country. They gave me stacks on stacks of them after I entered.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
yeah they were a big thing in elementary school have mine in a binder somewhere still in my storage stopped collecting them once magic the gathering started getting big

My dad saved a bunch of packs for me from when he used to work at Blockbuster. I don't have them anymore, but I loved them as a kid.

Can't find any pictures of the ones I used to have, though.

I'm spring cleaning with my sister and we stumbled across a box of various trading cards (some are X-Files, some are Street Fighter 2) but these ones really stood out to me.

We were reminiscing how I used to drive my mum mad because I wanted a packet every week. We think they used to come with bubblegum, but we couldn't decide, but it was a nice moment to think back to getting out of school and going to a corner-shop with my mum and pleading with her to buy me a packet.

So Gaf, did you collect these or similar trading cards?

I have that same set OP :)

RMI

Banned
still have a full original set (i think of the first ones they did, not the glossy "masterpiece" ones) at my mom's house.

Faiz

In the early 90's Marvel Masterpieces were popular as shit at my school. We were all basically drug dealers but our drug was Wolverine.

There were only a couple of us who cared at my school. A buddy and I decided to split a case - I suggested we open them all together and split the cards, chromiums included, evenly. He just wanted to split the packs. I ended up with both chromiums. /shrug

Yes, and I still have them. The original Marvel Masterpiece set were the pinnacle.

Absolutely. Still have mine somewhere.

MechDX

I think I have 4 different sets from the Marvel/X men line and also a complete set of Spawn series from Image. I was good friends with the manager of Bedrock City comics in Houston so she would hook me up at a good price for complete sets. Also have a store promo set of the cards, 10 total, that are 8 x10 versions of some of the cards she gave to me as a bonus during a Hallowenn sale

i still have my collection of fleer ultra '94 x-men in a binder. the only cards from that set i never got were the silver x-overs i think.

best set there. i even had the weird rare shit like that 1-sheet (probably came with wizard), pizza hut versions of the cards, and a version of angel i think that had a missing number.

My brother and I had the exact same set in a plastic binder, I wonder if he still has it

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Yes, and I believe I still have a binder full of them in my box o' old shit along with my collection of mid-90s Magic cards (no I don't have any of the good ones)

O8RIng6.jpg

Crumbtiny

My best friend and I would ride our bikes down to the gas station to buy Marvel card packs with whatever money we could scrounge. We'd go back to his house and go through each other's binder picking out the cards we wanted and seeing if we could work out a trade. I still go back and look through that binder every few months. I remember being so excited to have the complete X-Men Haunted Mansion set. Haha, man those chrome cards.

DTJAAAAM

Yep, the Marvel Universe Series 2 and first Marvel Masterpieces were my favorites. Stopped buying them after Marvel Universe Series 4.

nullref

I haven't kept many things from when I was ~10 years old, but I still have the binders of my Series 1-3 sets. Loved those things.

Actually, I think I'm missing a couple from Series 3... Maybe I should get on eBay and finally finish that off.

purg3

slept with Malkin
When I was in 2nd grade, I remember getting the complete box of original Marvel cards as a gift. (I'm 33 now for reference) I wish I could remember what happened to them...I imagine they got thrown out or lost in one of my many moves as a child. I actually collected them for years after too. I passed all of that stuff along with my comics to my youngest brother who is 20 years younger than me. Was cool to see him go through my old comics.

joms5

I've got complete collections of Marvel Universe series 1,2,3, Marvel Masterpiece 1 and 2 and the two collections that preceded Marvel Universe 1.

Been thinking of maybe selling them but not sure if it would be worth it.

Used to love collecting cards as a kid. Simpler times.

I loved the early series like Marvel Masterpieces and Marvel Universe, but for some reason I started losing interest when they switched to Fleer.

YES! They were so expensive but my dad let me get a pack a week. Sometimes I could save other money and get an extra pack. I loved these things.

Dalek

I have all of these in a binder in my kid's room. When her friends come over they like looking at them.

They were a lot of fun to collect.

The X-Men series cards with all Jim Lee art were the height of my Marvel Trading Card experience. Those were a huge deal when I was in elementary school.

impel-xmen-cards-3.jpg

And this was the crown jewel that everyone sought.

tumblr_mt3u8xKf311rk7w2qo1_500.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom