• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF do you wash your meat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who thinks that rinsing meat kills bacteria? It does nothing to kill bacteria but will very easily spread bacteria around the kitchen (water splashes easily and clings to surfaces) and potentially contaminate other food.

Washing raw meat is not a safe practice and should be avoided when possible.

jobrro

I think the only place I have heard of this before is GAF. Think there was a thread a little while ago. Never knew anyone in real life that does this and since it appears to be more dangerous I never will.

NewFresh

Who thinks that rinsing meat kills bacteria? It does nothing to kill bacteria but will very easily spread bacteria around the kitchen (water splashes easily and clings to surfaces) and potentially contaminate other food.

Washing raw meat is not a safe practice and should be avoided when possible.

Honestly, just read this people. Should lock the thread here and make this a PSA to all.

longdi

Banned
I always rinse my raw food, to get rid of the blood, packing materials, feathers, plasticky smell, hair etc.

Of course i put my utensils away from the sink.

I can't believe you cook your food without a rinse, yucks

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I always rinse my raw food, to get rid of the blood, packing materials, feathers, plasticky smell, hair etc.

Of course i put my utensils away from the sink.

I can't believe you cook your food without a rinse, yucks
*facepalm* "Yucks" yourself.

Not only is it not even blood, but rinsing meat is the opposite of sanitary. Links have been posted explaining this. Educate yourself. Professional chefs don't do this.

Also if you buy meat that has feathers and hair I suggest you find a different place to obtain it...

Greddleok

I want to know where people are buying meat covered in blood, shit, feathers and dirt.

Stop butchering your own animals, you're clearly not very good at it. Go to a fucking butcher or super market.

TheExodu5

Banned
If the meat is starting to smell a little stronger (but not spoiling), absolutely. Usually with fish and poultry. Rinse under cold water and pat down with paper towel. I don't do it for food safety reasons, I do it for taste. Fish especially needs a rinse to get rid of any strong fishy smell, even when fresh (ever clean a fish? You do it under running water).

The cross contamination issue is pretty silly. If you're cutting your meat on a board and wash it in the sink you're effectively doing the same thing.

I usually don't do it with steak, unless bone marrow is starting to smear over the surface of the meat.

Izayoi

Banned
If the meat is starting to smell a little stronger (but not spoiling), absolutely. Usually with fish and poultry. Rinse under cold water and pat down with paper towel. I don't do it for food safety reasons, I do it for taste. Fish especially needs a rinse to get rid of any strong fishy smell, even when fresh (ever clean a fish? You do it under running water).

The cross contamination issue is pretty silly. If you're cutting your meat on a board and wash it in the sink you're effectively doing the same thing.

I usually don't do it with steak, unless bone marrow is starting to smear over the surface of the meat.
.... I don't even know where to start.

If your meat stinks, it has gone bad. No amount of washing will change the taste.

You clean (degut) fish under running water to wash away blood and fecal matter. This is not an issue with fish that is purchased pre-prepared.

I've never heard of bone marrow presenting on the surface of a steak unless it's placed there on purpose... What the fuck are you talking about???

TheExodu5

Banned
.... I don't even know where to start.

If your meat stinks, it has gone bad. No amount of washing will change the taste.

You clean (degut) fish under running water to wash away blood and fecal matter. This is not an issue with fish that is purchased pre-prepared.

I've never heard of bone marrow presenting on the surface of a steak... What the fuck are you talking about???

Stronger smelling meat does not mean it's gone bad. Some people like to age their steaks, which increases the smell. That doesn't imply its gone bad. Spoiled meat smells very different from stronger meat. It's the equivalent of safe fermentation vs spoilage.

Ever had a rib steak? The marrow can easily leak out of the bone. I enjoy a roasted bone marrow, but don't particularly like the strong taste on a steak.

TheExodu5

Banned
People have gone way overboard with food safety. I realize there are bacteria out there we cannot detect with our senses, but for the most part, our sense of smell is more than enough to judge the safety level of food.

People have become obsessed with throwing out food the minute it expires. This clean room approach just leads to massive food wastage and the lack of exposure of any kind to harmful bacteria just increases your susceptibility to it in the future.

Laekon

You, hopefully, wash the cutting board with soap so it's not the same thing. Unless you use some form of surgical sterile technique while moving the meat in and out of the sink and turning the water on and off you are contaminating surfaces, especially from splashes.

How or why do people eat food that they are scared of? If I thought something was covered in bacteria that was going to make me sick, I wouldn't fucking eat it even after cooking it.

TheExodu5

Banned
You, hopefully, wash the cutting board with soap so it's not the same thing. Unless you use some form of surgical sterile technique while moving the meat in and out of the sink and turning the water on and off you are contaminating surfaces, especially from splashes.

How or why do people eat food that they are scared of? If I thought something was covered in bacteria that was going to make me sick, I wouldn't fucking eat it even after cooking it.

Again. I'm washing off good bacteria that is the result of fermentation. Strong smell does not equal spoilage. I rinse it for taste preference.

It's pretty easy to stay clean. Rinse it in the sink. Move it to a plate on top of paper towel within the sink. Wash the sink with soap and water before putting in dishes.

Everyone in here who is washing meat, you are wrong. Stop it, just stop.
It spreads bacteria and is very unsanitary, don't even try to retort w/ some bs response. You are wrong.

The only meat I wash is organs like liver, and that's to wash off stuff like stomach bile. Obviously I also wash fish I gutted, don't want to taste guts juice. Flesh is just directly grilled.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Well if the food science experts named "Meathead" at amazingribs.com say so, it must be true!

Hint: its not going to make a lick of difference in a solid piece of meat and yes it actually does matter for cooking temps. Double hint: the guy in question is testing the meat with slow cooking methods - even his steaks are cooked via a reverse sear. Most people don't grill or sear meat like that.

Makonero

Well if the food science experts named "Meathead" at amazingribs.com say so, it must be true!

Hint: its not going to make a lick of difference in a solid piece of meat and yes it actually does matter for cooking temps. Double hint: the guy in question is testing the meat with slow cooking methods - even his steaks are cooked via a reverse sear. Most people don't grill or sear meat like that.

type in "letting steak rise to room temperature" on google and all the results include the word "myth"

but go ahead, I'm just not eating any steak you prepare

Zoe

As pointed out earlier, when people typically say "let it reach room temperature" they really mean just let it sit out for 30-60 minutes. It takes several hours for a steak to actually reach room temperature (in the 70's).

bosseye

Again. I'm washing off good bacteria that is the result of fermentation

I have to question whether rinsing meat in water removes any bacteria at all, good or bad. You use soap to wash your hands after you've wiped your arse right? Or is basic water good enough for those bacteria too and you just give your hands a rinse......

What kind of meat are you buying?

"rank smell"

c18277bddf17b9759afd7da6f38d3283_400x400.jpeg

so much this..
plus water won't do anything that the heat won't address....
i think you might do it more for your peace of mind if anything, but if anyone can disprove me with a link, that would be really educative for me :)

MrChom

Wash....meat?

What kind of madness is this?

Get it out of the pack, cut it to the right size, and pop it in the pan. If you want to do any washing it's of your hands and utensils at that point, not beforehand.

notsol337

marked forever
No, I don't need to wash meat.

I'm going to cook it.

The heat will kill all of the bacteria, without me getting the bacteria all over other surfaces that I won't otherwise be heating up to 165+ degrees (or higher, depending on the meat).

Seems like a waste of time.

If you can't accept that meat has bacteria and other pathogens (which are usually removed by cooking or curing), then you should not eat meat.

Rinsing butchered meat in water will not change that. Abbatoirs and such use chemicals, so unless you're prepared to do the same, you're wasting your time.

If you're butchering meat yourself then maybe rinsing during that process is OK.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
No, never.

Meat already has a ton of bacteria and is dangerous to manipulate, so you don't want to wash it and spread all of that around your kitchen.

What you do is cook it, killing everything dangerous in the process.

You also never use the tools used on the meat in something else, wash your hands and clean everything.

akira28

to those asking, no you don't wash minced meat, you just cook the hell out of it to make sure all the e coli and everything else potentially in there, listeria, etc, is done to well done.

but also maybe the idea of washing is worse in your heads than in reality. Just a quick dousing under running water for seal packed "fresh" or frozen cuts of pork or beef to remove whatever might be on the product. Chicken gets immersed into still water, sometimes covered. I don't see what the outrage is all about, but clearly some sensibilities are forever shook.

To everyone looking down their noses and ivory tipped cigarette holders, suggesting to find a better butcher. In America, butchers are a bit of a premium. Some people are lucky if they have a market, let alone a butcher. I have been as fortunate to have butchers that take orders, but lots of other times I don't know where the meat comes from except that its in plastic, in a pile, with a tag on it. So in an age where you can't really always trust what you eat, I take a little precaution. It works for me, and is well within fda and usda guidelines.

edit: you can go by smell and look but they've found some supermarkets would flood their meat with ammonia or other gasses to preserve the look and prevent smell even if it was past date.

jambo

but also maybe the idea of washing is worse in your heads than in reality. Just a quick dousing under running water for seal packed "fresh" or frozen cuts of pork or beef to remove whatever might be on the product. Chicken gets immersed into still water, sometimes covered. I don't see what the outrage is all about, but clearly some sensibilities are forever shook.

I think what most people are saying is that washing your meat will not do anything to get rid of bacteria or anything else. If anything it will only help to spread bacteria around the meat and around your kitchen.

Instead you COOK THE MEAT to kill any bacteria.

bosseye

So in an age where you can't really always trust what you eat, I take a little precaution

And your precaution is giving it a quick dabble or sitting it in a bowl of water. You may as well wave it around in lovely fresh air, probably has the same cleansing properties as rinsing in water to remove anything harmful.

If you genuinely think rinsing in water is enough to remove harmful bacteria, question why you would ever use soap; in your world the water apparently does everything you need. I assume you use soap right? To wash your hands after the toilet, to clean your body during a shower? Why bother yeah! It's nothing to do with people's sensibilities being 'forever shook' and more to do with bafflement at some people's willful ignorance.

I mean, if I didn't it would severely limit the amount of action I get from my partner.

Wait, I seem to have misunderstood the question, nevermind.

akira28

And your precaution is giving it a quick dabble or sitting it in a bowl of water. You may as well wave it around in lovely fresh air, probably has the same cleansing properties as rinsing in water to remove anything harmful.

If you genuinely think rinsing in water is enough to remove harmful bacteria, question why you would ever use soap; in your world the water apparently does everything you need. I assume you use soap right? To wash your hands after the toilet, to clean your body during a shower? Why bother yeah! It's nothing to do with people's sensibilities being 'forever shook' and more to do with bafflement at some people's willful ignorance.

lol. shook. so shook you ask me why I don't use soap to wash my meat. so shook you think water has no cleansing properties. I may as well be waving it around in lovely fresh air because it would have the same effect. lmaooo

you don't understand, and I'm alright with that. you don't care to noodle it through, you just read whatever, close the book, and you're good. That's cool.

if you imagine that I'm just rinsing off a steak and then it goes onto my plate because its a funny image, go right ahead. but that quick dabble most certainly removes any external material that might have gotten onto the meat during any butchering, packing, repacking, processing, or whatever else might have happened between my sink and the once living animal. And I'm ok with that. and so are you. Because you're just going to have to be. Like it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I have never heard of this before. Washing meat? What. Do you really think that does anything useful that cooking the meat doesn't?

I wash stuff I don't cook, i.e. vegetables etc.

sgtnosboss

Neo Member
I'll admit I have never done much in the way of cooking from raw until recently and just last night I learned that apparently it is not recommended to wash your meat prior to cooking. Most online sources I have read seem to reference the USDA

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/porta...food-does-it-promote-food-safety/washing-food

Now this flies in the face of what my family and friends have been saying, so I am curious what GAF does. One argument I have heard is you wash it because you don't know what conditions the meat was cut and packaged in. Another is you wash it to rid it of the rank smell. I don't really buy those, but I wanted to get more info and opinions.

Ya I would figure I would add bacteria from the water but I don't know for sure. I never have personally.

I don't wash red meat. All other meat, unless its fresh fist, I do.

The exception is if it has been in the ridge for a while and and I to get any funk off it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom