• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2010 - Voting Thread - VOTING CONCLUDED

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpokkX

1. Bayonetta
2. Donkey Kong Country Returns
3. Mario Galaxy 2
4. Mass Effect 2
5. Metroid Other M
6. Lara Croft: Guardian of light
7. Star Craft 2
8. Sin & Punishment
9. Halo Reach
10. Vanquish

Budr

timetokill said:
What Games Count?
  • New games released to your region this year (can be retail only or downloadable).
  • Voting for imported titles is allowed. If you list an import game, please mention which country you are from. Otherwise I will assume you didn't read the rules and the vote will not count.
  • Remakes and visible upgrades count too.
  • Revisions released for the first time on a console or handheld this year (must be a retail version and not downloadable).
  • Ports that amount to "ROM dumps", i.e., ports with no additional content or significant changes, are not allowed.
  • New expansion packs to MMOs and other games count, but not the original game unless it too was released in your region this year.
  • Asked about games that are allowed: Minecraft, Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge.
  • Asked about games that are not allowed: Super Mario All-Stars.

Just to check, this makes the God of War Collection ineligible?

GeoramA

1. Just Cause 2 - Best sandbox game since San Andreas.
2. Heavy Rain
3. Fallout: New Vegas
4. God of War III
5. Yakuza 3
6. Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
7. Red Dead Redemption
8. Mafia 2
9. The Sly Collection
10. Joe Danger

BowieZ

Banned
1. Super Mario Galaxy 2 ; I'm speechless.
2. Donkey Kong Country Returns ; With its fresh but faithful 2.5D graphics and music, it's basically what many people wanted New Super Mario Bros. Wii to be. It's artwork in motion; it just so happens to also be one of the most creative and thoroughly challenging platformers of all time.
3. Game Dev Story ; Do not download this game.
4. Cut the Rope ; While a skilled player could probably collect all 450 shiny gold stars in under two hours, the game is innovative in almost every way, so it feels more substantial an experience than it really is. It's also fucking adorable. Special shout-out to the graphic artist. The game is eye candy -- pun intended.
5. Angry Birds ; A masterful exercise in simplicity, and all the better for it. My only criticism is that it's known to be Australian PM Julia Gillard's favorite game. Blech.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
1. Halo: Reach
2. Vanquish
3. Super Meat Boy
4. Rock Band 3
5. Limbo

Budr said:
Just to check, this makes the God of War Collection ineligible?

God of War Collection was eligible last year, but actually wouldn't be this year because it's release on PSN doesn't count as a new release on a new platform. Last year I allowed it because of the resolution changes and added trophies, etc, though admittedly it was a grey area even then.

Edit: Just saw that it came out in other territories this year. I really recommend choosing another title if you can, as under this year's rules I probably wouldn't allow it.

Sadist

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2 The best this generation has to offer. I was blown away by the first Galaxy, but the second is even better.

2. Donkey Kong Country Returns Well crafted platformer by Retro. I liek it better than the RARE games.
3. Silent Hill Shattered Memories Oh yay PAL land, but what a surprise. It's totally different from previous SH games but I liked it a lot.
4. Dead Rising 2 "I saw what you did there" killing zombies on my kiddy bike
5. Metroid Other M It wasn't quite what I expected, but strangely I like the game for what it is. Pretty good, but with a few flaws.
6. Tatsunoko vs. Capcom Return of the vs. fighter. Glorious.
7. No More Heroes 2 More polished, less batshit insane. Still good.
8. Bayonetta Didn't play it all, but from what I played... damn!
9. Super Street Fighter IV I just love fighters.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Snuggler said:
Lots of interesting lists, GAF is a cool place. Looks like it'll be a close call between ME2, SMG2 and RDR, good stuff.
Yeah I'm kind of surprised by the amount of variability in people's lists this year. I'd put Bayonetta up there too, since a lot of people seem to love that. Haven't played it myself though.

I've still got a few games to play before I conjure up my list, including ME2, SMB, a recently bought Machninarium, and a couple others.

REV 09

1. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 ; Best FPS MP for consoles on the market. A true team-oriented next gen title. The campaign wasn't too good, but the MP unexpectedly dethroned everything for me.
2. Mass Effect 2 ; The best SP game of the year. Great combat with streamlined RPG mechanics. The overall story wasn't grand, but the squad mates next to you were some of the best characters of the generation.
3. Halo: Reach ; The best Halo yet. Not the best MP or SP of the year, but possibly the best $60 package released. The campaign actually had decent writing this time and the MP additions kept things fresh. Firefight is brilliant when it isn't lagging.
4. Alan Wake ; A gripping narrative with an actual game to it, unlike Heavy Rain.
5. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit ; Burnout with licensed cars and intense cop chases. Best NFS yet and slightly better than Paradise.
6. Civilization 5 ; My first time for the series and it blew me away. Civ V ended up justifying my new pc build.
7. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood ; The best pacing that this series has had yet; plus a great, new MP mode.
8. Red Dead Redemption ; Inconsistent pacing but an incredible world with well-written dialogue. The horse mechanics and Marston's character were the highlights. MP was meh, but Undead Nightmare was a brilliant add on with better pacing than the original.
9. Starcraft 2 ; Return of a classic.
10. Kinect Sports ; My first time into motion gaming, and i unexpectedly loved this game. Got the Kinect for my wife, but Sports is just awesome. Table Tennis in particular.

Honorable Mentions:
Dance Central
Super Meat Boy
Limbo

keit4

Banned
1. Mass Effect 2 ;
2. Super Street Fighter 4 ;
3. Alan Wake ;
4. Bayonetta ;
5. Dead Rising 2 ;
6. Limbo ;
7. Amnesia: The Dark Descent ;
8. Super Meat Boy ;
9. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light ;
10. Darksiders ;

1. Red Dead Redemption
2. Mass Effect 2
3. Assassins Creed: Brotherhood
4. Fallout: New Vegas
5. Halo: Reach
6. Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty
7. Bayonetta
8. Vanquish
9. Heavy Rain
10. Alan Wake

xx. Pacman Championship Edition DX
xx. Metroid Other M
xx. Dead Rising 2
xx. Costume Quest
xx. Lara Croft & the Guardian of Light
xx. Pinball FX 2
xx. Hydro Thunder Hurricane

Budr

timetokill said:
Edit: Just saw that it came out in other territories this year. I really recommend choosing another title if you can, as under this year's rules I probably wouldn't allow it.

I'm in the UK, so it was a 2010 release for me but not to worry, I'll leave it off. Cheers for clarifying.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
1. Red Dead Redemption
2. God of War 3
3. Super Street Fighter 4
4. Gran Turismo 5
5. Heavy Rain
6. Mass Effect 2
7. Vanquish
8. Bayonetta
9. Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 2

1. Red Dead Redemption ; A gorgeous, truly immersive love letter to the genre. Excellent characters, voice acting and dialogue. Tons to do. Co-op and multiplayer are just amazing icing on the cake. RockStar's best effort since GTA3 for me, and one game that fits perfectly with their strengths (personal interactions, expansive worlds, social commentary) and weaknesses (slower pace of controls/movement/combat). Everything just fit together so perfectly for me.
2. Halo: Reach ; The complete FPS package in every way. Campaign, Firefight and multiplayer is top notch. Improves over Halo 3 in every conceivable way imho and stands as the best Halo since CE and the gold standard for shooters. Bravo Bungie, bravo.
3. Just Cause 2 ; The ultimate sandbox playground of destruction this generation. Period. The parachute + grapple mechanic is pure genius.
4. Heavy Rain ; This game *got* to me. The story, the characters, the mood, the choices. It's not perfect, but it shines a clear light on one promising direction that games can evolve. Love it or hate it everybody should at least experience it on its own terms.
5. Assassins Creed Brotherhood ; If this is what milking a franchise looks like, I'm all for it. In fact, a perfect formula for me would be a new setting/character each two years, with an expansion of the setting ala Brotherhood for each other year. Whoever came up with the assassins guild mechanics needs a raise, stat. Its just gleefully murderous fun.
6. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light ; Tomb Raider distilled into its purist essence, and then polished to a shine with smart puzzle design (Attn: Naughty Dog - this is how you do it!), easy and fun combat mechanics (which *don't* detract from the game for once), and rewards for exploration experimentation and replays. A true gem that deserves to be played by anybody who loves to delve through tombs.

Kaldea

1. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow ; This game just clicked with me. It was all out fun with a story that I actually enjoyed the whole way through. The locations also stood out to me considering how beautiful the game is. I may be a sucker for this kind of stuff, but the game really made me feel for Gabriel and no other character/story this year even came close.
2. Bayonetta ; One of the top games this year that reminded me what having fun was all about. Need more action games like this.
3. Super Mario Galaxy 2 ; Addicting and so much fun to play. Not to mention that Yoshi is in it and makes it that much more fun.
4. Vanquish ; Again, I have to say that this game was incredibly fun to play.
5. Minecraft ; I never expected to love this game so much. The way it gives you your own space to play the way you want to is amazing.
6. Amnesia: The Dark Descent ; Definitely one of the best horror games ever. It gets the atmosphere down perfectly.
7. Just Cause 2 ; It's hard to think of a better open-world game where you can be rewarded for destroying as many things as possible. Also, I never would have thought about how awesome the parachute + grapple hook combination is.
8. Snoopy Flying Ace ; It's an enjoyable little game, especially with friends. I've never liked any other flying action game as much as this one.
9. Fallout: New Vegas ; Besides all the bugs, I love the sense of freedom in this game. Few other games (or none at all) can match the feeling of killing outlaws to Big Iron by Marty Robbins.
10. Heavy Rain ; Overall, I really liked this game. Some parts either didn't make too much sense or were a bit annoying, but the good things (like a few of the characters) made up for it. Needed more Norman Jayden.

vic2020

Neo Member
1. Resonance of Fate
2. Nier
3. Valkyria Chronicles 2
4. Bayonetta
5. Dragon Quest 9: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
6. Phantasy Star Portable 2
7. Vanquish
8. Just Cause 2
9. Castlevania: Harmony of Despair
10. Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
SpokkX said:
1. Bayonetta
2. Donkey Kong Country Returns
3. Mario Galaxy 2
4. Mass Effect 2
5. Metroid Other M
6. Lara Croft: Guardian of light
7. Star Craft 2
8. Sin & Punishment
9. Halo Reach
10. Vanquish
Might want to edit that to Super Mario Galaxy 2, so the automated counter doesn't record one vote for "Mario Galaxy 2"

Anubis

1. Mass Effect 2
2. Red Dead Redemption
3. Heavy Rain
4. Assassins Creed: Brotherhood
5. Just Cause 2
6. Limbo
7. Civilization 5
8. Final Fantasy 13
9. Alan Wake
10. Mafia 2

DMeisterJ

Banned
DidntKnowJack said:
Might not be my place to say, but you might want to change the XIII to a 13. No roman numerals is part of the rule set here.

Oh yeah...

Tons of people need to change also since "God of War III" is very prominent in here.

Phenomic

Will say that these descriptions may contain vague spoilers but I tried to keep it to a minimum so I don't think it's anything game ruining. Anyway enjoy the read if you care enough, sorry that it's kind of long. :D

1. Alan Wake ; Most intense gaming experience I had all year that kept me on the edge of my seat. 100% of the time this game kept me wanting more and more and more and more. I had endless questions the whole time playing through this and they never quelled. Was Alan Insane? Did he actually have a mental illness or was what was going on legit? Was Alice alive? Could she be saved? ... The list goes on and on. The TV's and Radio's had a special place in my heart and gave the whole atmosphere the small town rural feeling. Despite it being linear and way too easy for a horror game in my tastes I loved every moment.

2. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood ; What else can you say. I cannot get enough of the conspiracy theory world. All the secrets and mysterious surrounding this series enthrall me like nothing else has in the past. Rome is Gorgeous, Huge and not much more can be said about it because that sums it all up. So much to explore and so many awesome places to climb and run around. I loved the additions of the Dark scenes in the game while they aren't huge if you've played this one you should know the few I am referring too. This topped off with a multi-player experience that feels like nothing else in the past with completely unique style a game-play. The only thing that kept me from giving this GOTY was that it was a 2.5 Game at least it felt like it somewhat to me. However, I will say it's one of .. if not the best .5'ish game I've ever played.

3. Red Dead Redemption ; What can you say about this game other then spot on? The first Western game that did it pretty much all right. I normally don't like free roam games and I cannot stand the GTA series. However, this one hit it on the mark. Deserts environments are amazing and John Marston is everything I wanted in a Western Hero. The character interactions he had are among some of the best in the year. Above all else though the ending is what made this game for me and the feelings it invokes are exactly what I'm looking for in a game.

4. Resonance of Fate ; While perhaps not the best plot line in a game, in fact it was probably one that left me the most confused ever. However, the characters are what did it for you. Vashyron is such a chill guy with some amazingly funny scenes. Leanne is just a darling and cares so much about the other two. Piled on top of Zephry's dark past and how he dealt with it. Fun unique battle system that hasn't ever been done before proving to me we need more gun based RPG's. Also really enjoyed the whole gear based atmosphere the whole tower of Basel had.

5. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker ; Best portable experience of the year. Took everything that was wrong with Portable Op's for me and fixed it 100%. Story contained more emotion dealing with Naked Snake and the Boss which is what I've wanted ever since playing MGS3.

6. Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep ; Convoluted Story Line but the best Game play yet in a Kingdom Hearts title. Fighting the bosses on hard was actually a challenge and I want to see the next evolution of this system post haste.

7. Darksiders ; Really fun combination of Zelda and God of War Game-play styles. Great game to open the year with along side #8. War while he did look a little out of place was a cool character to play with. This game would have probably ended up higher if it was a little longer with a few more dungeons. Something about giving me 8-9 in a Zelda game has completely spoiled me and if I don't get that number I find I'm always disappointed. Another reason this ranks up for me is the complete epic ending and if you've seen it you know what I'm talking about.

8. Bayonetta ; Best action based game I've played in a long time. This one made it so hard to play any other action game this year. It completely blew away God of War and Dante's Inferno Game-play style for me. This one also would have probably ended up higher on my list had the story been less strange and random.

9. Final Fantasy 13 ; One of the most fun battle systems I've ever had the pleasure of playing a long time. Story tried to do way to much and I didn't feel like the game had a solid villain that made you really want to see him brought to justice/killed during the course game. Despite all it's problems I would love to see them tackle a sequel and try to address some of the issues.

x. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow ; I list this here sadly as a honorable mention. I love the fact that they tried to do something completely different. Gabriel is a likable character but I don't think I had enough emotional connection to him at the end. That being said parts of this game are totally amazing. Fun battle system that really keeps you on your toes and doesn't let you just spam buttons. However by the time I was finished I think I wanted more of a fan service then we ended up getting. I guess I wanted it to feel different but at the same time also wanted more of the music from previous games, more sub-weapons from previous games etc. I still hope MercurySteam gets another shot and I would still love to play another 3D Castlevania under there reigns.

x. Valkyria Chronicles 2 ; It's more Valkyria Chronicles and to this day it's still the only Strategy RPG I can stand playing. I wish the plot line was a little more mature but I think we might be getting that shortly with number 3. A portable game that felt enough like Valkyria 1 but still felt like it was meant to be on a PSP.

Other titles that I enjoyed playing and I would say are worth playing through in 2010: (Please don't count these as honorable mentions):
Vanquish, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Golden Sun Dark Dawn, Heavy Rain, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Metroid Other M, (TRANSFORMICE) I would list this one if I could.

Solo

Funny thing - I only got around to playing a bunch of 2009's cream of the crop (Batman: Arkham Asylum, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves and Assassin's Creed 2 ) in 2010, and had those counted, they would have knocked my #2 through #10 down 3 spots each. Anyways:

1. Red Dead Redemption; Game of the Generation
2. Alan Wake
3. Goldeneye 007
4. S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat
5. Fallout: New Vegas
6. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
7. Bioshock 2
8. Castlevanania: Lords of Shadow
9. Vanquish
10. Mass Effect 2

Dennis

Banned
1. Red Dead Redemption ; open world

2. S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat ; open world

3. Two Worlds 2 ; open world

4. Mass Effect 2 ; sequel to Game of the Generation, Mass Effect

5. Halo: Reach ; large levels

6. Mafia 2 ; open world

7. ArmA 2: Operation Arrowhead ; open world

8. Amnesia: The Dark Descent ; true survival horror

9. Divinity II: Dragon Knight Saga ; open world

10. Europa Universalis 3: Divine Wind ; the strategy king

I played Assassins Creed 2 (PC) in 2010 but I guess people see it as a 2009 game, otherwise I would have included that.

Anubis said:
1. Mass Effect 2
2. Red Dead Redemption
3. Heavy Rain
4. Assassins Creed: Brotherhood
5. Just Cause 2
6. Limbo
7. Civilization V
8. Final Fantasy XIII
9. Alan Wake
10. Mafia 2

Already been said on this page, but change the XIII to 13. Normally I wouldn't bother, but I want to legitimately know where this game stands on Gaf.

WEGGLES

1. Mass Effect 2 ; While the RPG elements were dumbed down from the first, it's still an incredibly fun game with a nice story. Can't wait for #3
2. Red Dead Redemption ; Amazing single player campaign marred slightly by a bland and confusing (why am I here...) middle chapter.
3. Costume Quest ; Great example of a game that knows when to call it quits. A nice little experience. Loads of fun.
4. Just Cause 2 ; Dumb as hell, but in a great way. I double dipped on this game, if that means anything.
5. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX ; Took Pac-Man CE and made it better. Seems more like some strange pac-man/snake hybrid, but it's still excellent.
6. Heavy Rain ; Interesting story you can only play once. It seems like something you'd want to play again, but that just reveals blatant plot holes.
7. Civilization 5 ; I lost 8 hours in one sitting to this game. Felt like 8 minutes.
8. Fallout: New Vegas ; The fact that I put up with the mess of glitches for 50 hours says a lot.
9. Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver ; Pure nostalgia.
10. Super Scribblenauts ; DRASTIC improvement over the first. Still a few hitches, but playable, clever and enjoyable.

1. Minecraft
2. Red Dead Redemption
3. Bayonetta
4. Super Mario Galaxy 2
5. Super Meat Boy
6. Halo: Reach
7. BioShock 2
8. God of War 3
9. VVVVVV

1. Donkey Kong Country Returns
2. Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver
3. Dragon Quest 9: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
4. Super Mario Galaxy 2
5. Monster Hunter 3: Tri
7. Metroid: Other M
8. Super Street Fighter 4
9. Fable 3

Can't think of a game I've played beyond those already listed that deserve to fill the number 10 slot, so I'll leave it at 9.

Grimmy

Banned
I spent the year catching up on older games than playing new ones - especially on my PC. So the PSP became my de facto gaming machine.

1. Ys: The Oath in Felghana ; A perfectly balanced action RPG. A classic.

2. Hot Shots Tennis ; An incredibly fun, easy-to-play tennis game that hooks into you and doesn't let go.

3. Heavy Rain ; A hugely flawed but ambitious interactive experience. Uneven voice acting, disjointed animation and implausible plot holes are but some of its problems, but still, the tension and atmosphere manages to pull you in like few other. Hugely maligned on this forum alas.

4. God of War: Ghost of Sparta ; God of War perfected on the handheld.

5. Ys Seven ; A worthy, if at times a bit long-winded, sequel to the legendary series

6. Cladun: This is an RPG ; A very fun dungeon romp with a unique upgrade system

7. Hexyz Force ; A criminally underrated RPG which has the most brilliant feature ever - the fast-forward button

8. Puzzle Quest 2 ; The addiction begins once again! While I don't know if I like the new map system, but the core gameplay has been enhanced, which is great.

9. Bejeweled 3 ; My first ever Bejeweled game - now I know why so many people are addicted....

10. One Chance ; This intriguing 15-minute flash game manages to upend my expectations, even after playing the original Every Day the Same Dream....

Honorable mentions: Persona 3 Portable, Z.H.P., Gladiator Begins

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
1. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm
2. Halo: Reach
3. Super Mario Galaxy 2
4. Red Dead Redemption
5. God of War 3
6. Bayonetta
7. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty
8. Mass Effect 2
9. Rock Band 3
10. Super Meat Boy
x. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
x. BioShock 2
x. Super Street Fighter 4
x. Just Cause 2
x. Call Of Duty: Black Ops

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I've already voted, but here's my favourite paragraph written of Bayonetta, from the Eurogamer review, by Simon Parkin:

The best two Japanese action games of the year are diametrically opposed in approach. Demon's Souls is a brooding traipse through the corridors of purgatory, fair but relentlessly unforgiving. It teaches that modern videogames have made us weak and stupid, that our gaming muscles have atrophied through the efforts of so many mollycoddling developers. Every sword strike must be carefully considered, and button-mashers are not so much ridiculed as downright abused for their lack of sophistication. The result is a tense but ponderous experience, one that demands supreme trepidation before each step taken, careful contemplation before every input made.

In Bayonetta, meanwhile, you press a button and your television implodes.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
1. Red Dead Redemption ; I was blown away by how Rockstar handled John Marston's journey. Sure it lost a bit of oomph in Mexico, but the payoff was so worth it. I haven't felt that attached to a game character in quite a while and the ending pulled the carpet right out from under me. I wish every developer had Rockstar's balls.
2. Mass Effect 2 ; Great game, shitty story. The polar opposite of the first game. Amazing characterisation saves the day to at least keep what little story there was interesting. Amazing DLC too.
3. Monday Night Combat ; I bought this on a whim one night and have been hooked pretty much since. A really nice twist on several genre's which the almost-but-not-quite-TF2-look seeks to ruin at first glance. If you look past that you'll find a game with a very strong identity all of its own.
4. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood ; Despite the feeling of this hitting too soon, the positive word of mouth on the single player campaign compelled me to dive in. What a ride! Amazing multiplayer too. I can't wait to see what else this team has in store.
5. Halo: Reach ; Bungie reaffirmed my faith in them after the, frankly, disappointing ODST.
6. Costume Quest ; Ridiculously charming throughout, I had a huge smile on my face the entire time and there aren't many games I can say that about.
7. Super Street Fighter 4 ; I love my daughters, they are so pretty.
8. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX ; Unbelievable twist on the Pac-Man formula. Simply masterful.
9. Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing ; First, bias. Second, why did it take so long for a competent kart racer to hit HD systems? Thankfully it delivered. With a little more tweaking it could have really been a great rival to Mario Kart.
10. Bayonetta ; Bayonetta is a pretty cool guy.

GhaleonQ

cosmicblizzard said:
Can we still be friends if I put it at number 4?

Caravaggio_-_Taking_of_Christ_-_Odessa.jpg

Rez said:
1. Bayonetta ; a game about playing video games
2. Sam and Max: The Devil's Playhouse ; a complete class act

Does that reflect the amount of worthiness of the title "game of the year," is it for want of effort, or was it just a bad year?

KAOS

1. Red Dead Redemption
2. Mass Effect 2
3. Super Street Fighter IV
4. Halo Reach
5. Bayonetta
6. Castlevania Lord of Shadows
7. God of War 3
8. Hydro Thunder Hurricane
9. Need for Speed Hot Pursuit
10. Call of Duty Black Ops

1. Red Dead Redemption
2. Mass Effect 2
3. God of War 3
4. Gran Turismo 5
5. Donkey Kong Country Returns
6. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
7. Mafia 2
8. Darksiders
9. Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit
10. Heavy Rain

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
GhaleonQ said:
Does that reflect the amount of worthiness of the title "game of the year," is it for want of effort, or was it just a bad year?
I have a hard time sifting through a lot of shades of grey. I enjoyed lots of games this year, but the difference between my number 7 and 8 would be arbitrary. So I just listed my clear GOTY and a runner-up that I felt did some cool things that should be encouraged, even though it may have been "number eleven or twelve" or something in a straight list.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
The following people on the first page need to fix their posts: Trevelyon, entrement, nelsonroyale, DeadGzuz, Eric Hall, chubigans, Divvy, and Heavy's Sandvich.

Kittonwy

Banned
1. Red Dead Redemption
2. God of War 3
3. Heavy Rain
4. God of War: Ghost of Sparta
5. Gran Turismo 5
7. MLB 10: The Show
8. Mod Nation Racers
9. Yakuza 3
10. Dead Nation
Indifferent2.gif

1. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty
2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
3. Bayonetta
4. Super Meat Boy
5. No More Heroes 2: Desparate Struggle
6. Mass Effect 2
7. Donkey Kong Country Returns
8. Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth
9. Professor Layton and the Unwound Future
10. Vanquish

Knox

1. Mass Effect 2
2. Red Dead Redemption
3. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm
4. Civilization 5
5. Bayonetta
7. Bioshock 2
8. Limbo
9. Rock Band 3
10. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game

GhaleonQ

Oh, I'm not sure if we're supposed to point out if we nominated something not on the sample list, but I did. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=24994914&postcount=98

Rez said:
I have a hard time sifting through a lot of shades of grey. I enjoyed lots of games this year, but the difference between my number 7 and 8 would be arbitrary. So I just listed my clear GOTY and a runner-up that I felt did some cool things that should be encouraged, even though it may have been "number eleven or twelve" or something in a straight list.

Ah, got it.

Shurs

Rez said:

This is kind of where I'm at as well.

I've been working on some year end stuff; and in lieu of a "Best of" list where I rank games, I think I'm going to be doing a "Games I Loved" piece where I don't have to rate games against each other.

Frillen

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
2. Red Dead Redemption
3. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
4. Alan Wake
5. NHL 11
6. Donkey Kong Country Returns
7. Call of Duty Black Ops
8. Battlefield Bad Company 2
9. Castlevania Lords of Shadow
10. Kirby Epic Yarn

boingball

1. Red Dead Redemption
2. Heavy Rain
3. God of War: Ghost of Sparta
4. Valkyria Chronicles 2
5. Z.H.P.: Unlosing Ranger Vs. Darkdeath Evilman
6. God of War 3
7. Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City
8. Gran Turismo 5
9. Mod Nation Racers
10. Dead Nation

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
1. Mass Effect 2 ; Easily the best experience I had with a game this year. Every single element, from interacting with your crew, to charging through a wall into a mech to blast in the face with a shotgun, I always had fun with ME2. It ditched the bad role playing game mechanics from 1 to improve the core, especially in the shooting department. I loved the atmosphere of the worlds you venture onto, the information you learn about your crew and the expanded lore of ME in general. I've already done three full playthroughs and feel like doing another one shortly...just seeing all the events pan out differently, or especially rig the ending to have everyone killed, is something my sick mind loves to work with. I would also love to see atleast one more good DLC in 2011, as LotSB was amazing.

2. Deadly Premontion ; An oddball choice to be sure, and a game I never even expected to try, but I can't say I regret it one bit. Francis York Morgan (my personal favorite character of 2010) was an absolute joy to play to hear his crazy ramblings in the car with Zach, and see his interactions with all the memorable townsfolk. The story itself gets really interesting and gets twisted and turned like crazy at the end, but I loved every moment of it. The actual gameplay itself is insanely repetitve by nature, yet I was oddly compelled to explore as much as possible, eventually getting all of the trading cards. The game was very self aware and had some great little touches like growing a beard if you didn't shave, having flies surround you if you never change your clothes, and the clothes in general. Seeing York in a pink suit with a heart covered tie somehow makes everything better.

3. Bayonetta ; A popular GAF choice for a reason. Bayonetta is absolutly crazy the whole way through, quickly throwing you into fights that would be the final encounter of lesser games, and somehow manages to keep rising from there. The combat is smooth as hell and offers a lot of options due to the arms/legs set up with weapons, each player seems to find a different set they like to roll with for each encounter. I personally loved ice skating my way into brawls with lightning claws ready for action. It truly rewards you for being quick on your feet and ends up making a Pure Platinum feel amazing to achieve. Some dumb design choices such as failing a QTE majorly fucking you over, and making the best fight in the game only replayable after an only-fun-for-the-first-time space harrier sequence, but Bayonetta still shines through. It's a DAMN shame about the upcoming DMC changes, as it may be a loooong time before we get an action game even remotly close to this level...sad to think about.

4. Donkey Kong Country Returns ; A great revival of the Country series by Retro. Masterfully designed levels have a sense of rhythm to get through that you'd expect, and the game holds no punches back in the difficulty(though I feel it's over exaggerated by a lot of people). Not much more to say, aside from LET ME REMAP THE ROLL GOD DAMMIT. I hate waggle.

5. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood ; Another great jump in the AC franchise. I think I prefer it over 2, though each have their pros and cons. Rome just isn't as exciting as Venice, but I feel the actual assassinations are much more meaningful, more akin to 1 in that respect. The 100% synch requirements added to each segment is a GREAT way to add difficulty since the combat clearly will never offer that, so the emphasis on stealth here is much appreciated. I really enjoy the MP, and hope in the next installment it gets even more added depth to truly evolve into something great.

6. Nier ; A crazy experience overall. Mixing tons of differerent genres then wrapping it into one of the most interesting stories certainly held my attention for awhile. Having, by far, the BEST soundtrack of 2010 doesn't hurt either.

7. Super Meat Boy ; Amazingly designed through and through. Concise controls work just as you'd expect, and it's all up to your skill to get you to the end. Instant restarts make it a much easier pill to swallow when you die your 302nd time. Also offers insane amounts of content for the $10 I paid for it.

8. Alan Wake ; Maybe it's because I live in the middle of Nowhere, PA, but the setting of AW grabbed me like few games have. I really felt like these locations could be real, it all had an organic feel that I loved to venture in. The story kept me involved and I liked the way they set up the hidden pages telling you the story of what was about to play out, there's a lot to dissect here. Pretty simple on the gameplay front and little variety overall, but even by the end I wasn't getting sick of the slowmo headshot you can pull on the last enemy of the group. Brownie points for episode 4 being completely awesome the entire way through.

9. Red Dead Redemption ; A good return to form for R* after GTAIV which I hated in almost every way. They nailed the western setting and really made John into a character I loved. Loses some steam in the middle, but the ending missions and story wrap ups are what set this game over the top for me. Throwaway multiplayer, however...

10. BlazBlue: Continuum Shift ; A good rebalance of Calamity Trigger, though still leaves quite a bit of an unbalance. I still love the whole feel of the game and the game is going to patch in the next revision for free, so hey. Also still continued the crazy story from CT, and I weirdly anticipate it. I never thought a fighting game story would cause me to give half a shit.

x. Super Mario Galaxy 2 ; Galaxy 1 was my GotY in 2008, and at the time was my favorite game of the generation. I'm not sure why, but I just never felt the same with 2. It made the game harder, still had tons of unique concepts, and I had a great time with it all the same. I guess for whatever reason I felt like it had too many gimmicky levels, and while I appreciated the post-game reward, I HATED having to sit through the game telling me there was a comet star every.single.time I wanted to play a level. I'm also still shocked that not one, but two platformers actually managed to best it this year.

x. Fallout: New Vegas ; I got burned out near the end due to the release of some other games(Black ops, AC:B mainly), so I haven't finished it yet, but I do really like it. But damn, the bugs near the end game making me unable to completete some quests is hearbreaking.

x. Castlevania : Lords of Shadow ; I really enjoy the combat in here with the light and dark magic, and the art design really gels well with me. I'm curious to see where the franchise will go from here, but I personally thought it was a good iteration.

x. Dead Rising 2 ; I was worried about this game all the way up until its release. Chuck didn't seem interesting, I didn't think Blue Castle would be able to capture what it was about DR1 I loved, but they really knocked it out of the park. I like Chuck way more than Frank, and the game still offered me plently of nail biting close calls. The survivor AI might actually be TOO good and Overtime was pretty meh, however.

x. Halo: Reach ; I really enjoyed the campaign here, thankfully there was no bullshit flood levels that took every other game down a notch, and it was a huge step up from ODST obviously. I really liked the ending and the MP seems to suit me more than 3 did, but I haven't delved into it as much as I would've liked.

Sidenote: I've played pretty much every big game for every system this year, but I still missed a couple. Vanquish mainly...

osmosis

Neo Member
1. Red Dead Redemption
2. Heavy Rain
3. FIFA 11
4. Limbo
5. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
6. Mass Effect 2
7. Halo: Reach
8. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty
9. Civilization 5
10. NBA 2K11