• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2010 - Voting Thread - VOTING CONCLUDED

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 Super Street Fighter 4
2 Rock Band 3
3 Red Dead Redemption
4 Transformers WFC
5 Halo Reach
6 MGS Peace Walker
7 DJ Hero 2
8 Mass Effect 2
9 Zengeki no Rangenliev
10 Bayonetta

Autofokus

1. Red Dead Redemption
2. Mass Effect 2
3. God of War 3
4. Dead Rising 2
5. Gran Turismo 5
6. Heavy Rain
7. Alan Wake
8. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
9. AuditoriumHD
10. Darksiders

ZZMitch

1. Minecraft ; A game that challenges your imagination, freaks you out and begs to be explored, all done with a bunch of blocks. Truly a masterpiece, and one of the best games I have ever played. Notch am god.
2. Civilization 5 ; Something has to be said for a game that lets you invade South America as Rome in the year 2020 (the result of my latest game). For a history nerd such as myself, this game is worse then crack. I could spend weeks just reading the Civopedia!
3. Red Dead Redemption ; Wild West done right. Far Away sold me on this one. Entering Mexico... one of the best gaming moments I have ever experienced.
4. Metro 2033 ; Extremely underrated title, amazing graphics and atmosphere plus better then expected gun play made Metro a gem (still playing through it, or it might have been higher).
5. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 ; I picked this game up during the holiday steam sale. I came in a CoD faithful. I left in awe.
6. Halo: Reach ; A worthy swan-song for Bungie. The last Xbox game I played before I sold my 360 off, and I can't think of a better way to go out!
7. Pokemon SoulSilver ; How the fuck they keep me addicted to these things is beyond me. So much content and so much to do.
8. Limbo ; I really don't know what to say about this one, except that it was mesmerizing.
9. Call of Duty: Black Ops ; It's CoD, fun multiplayer and campaign, what I expected. I can't not have this on my list though, seeing as I have already put 40+ hours into it.
10. Toki Tori ; really fun puzzle game. Awesome music!

Haven't really gotten a chance to play some the Wii games I wanted to play this year. If I get a chance by the end of the voting I will probably add them in. (Sorry Super Mario Galaxy 2, I gotta beat the first one first. Kirby's Epic Yarn may get played though.) Also, Super Meat Boy + steam sale, plz.

hxa155

1. God of War 3
2. Vanquish
3. Gran Turismo 5
4. Bayonetta
5. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
6. Red Dead Redemption
7. Alan Wake
8. Red Steel 2
9. Halo Reach
10. Super Street Fighter IV

1) Mass Effect 2. This game took everything that made the first Mass Effect great and improved upon it, making for an incredibly cinematic experience. It's unfortunate most of the elements that could've improved from the first game (the inventory, the Mako) were removed, however.

2) Halo: Reach. While nowhere near perfect, Reach is an amazing Halo experience. The story has its flaws, sure, and Armor Lock has become a synonym with the devil on HaloGAF, but heck, it's an amazing game I'll be playing for years to come.

3) Red Dead Redemption. This is one heck of an experience. Rockstar shows us the West in its dying years, and places us in the boots of a character that feels 'real'. Marston may not be a saint, but he is a good character. Couple that with some amazing landscapes to explore, and you've got a recipe for awesomeness. The only detriment to my enjoyment would be the NINJA BEARS.

4) Fallout: New Vegas. The game looks like Fallout 3, and even though it uses much of the same mechanics as Fallout 3 it feels like a genuinely fresh experience. Still, while Fallout 3 easily managed to become my favorite game of 2008, New Vegas has too many issues to go any higher on this list. Maybe now that the patch is out, I might go and finish off the Caesar's Legion questline.

5) Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. Assassin's Creed II was my favorite game of last year, and Brotherhood delivers more of the same. It refines the game, adds some stuff I couldn't possibly live without anymore (crossbow for the f'ing win), but I still feel like Ezio's story should've been played out at the end of ACII. The liberation of Rome was cool, but felt tacked on. I haven't even tried the multiplayer yet.

I haven't played too many new games from this year. Just got a PS3 and have been catching up on games from the first years of its life. Add my DS backlog, Wii backlog, and extreme lack of time it was a struggle finding 10 games released this year that I played. Here goes though:

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2 ; All around amazing game. Perfect difficulty, perfect length, amazing visuals. Not really much else to say.
2. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories (PAL) ; Though I live in the US, didn't play til this year. I also spent a lot of time in PAL territory this year so I figure it kind of counts. Very incredible experience. Very refreshing to play a game with no combat. Great presentation.
3. MLB 10: The Show ; Though glitchy, the best game of baseball since Griffey 64.
4. No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle ; Though it was more refined than the first, it wasn't a better experience. I had high hopes for this game, and while I still really enjoyed it it definitely wasn't as enjoyable as the first.
5. NBA Jam ; It is NBA Jam.
6. Cave Story ; Have yet to beat it. Engaging gameplay, nice level design, fun 2D action. Will beat it soon hopefully.
7. Sin & Punishment 2: Star Successor ; Just got this from Newegg (16 bucks!) like last week, so I havent sunk too much time into it yet. Played a few hours though. Heck of a lot of fun like most Treasure games
8. Mod Nation Racers ; Fun little kart racer. Way too much fucking loading. My god.

x. Red Dead Redemption ; Honorable mention. Borrowed from a friend. Played about 5 hours. Really, really did not like it. Can't really stand open world, non-linear games. So why is it up here? Figured I'd put every game released in 2010 that I played, since this was the only other one that I could think of.

1. Bayonetta
2. Final Fantasy 13
3. Super Mario Galaxy 2
4. Halo: Reach
5. God of War 3
6. Donkey Kong Country Returns
7. Kirby's Epic Yarn
8. Metroid: Other M
9. Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver
10. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

It's pretty much all I played this year and yes, FFXIII ahead of SMG2 for me.

1. Super Meat Boy ; Hands down the most fun I have had with any game. Ever.
2. Halo: Reach ; The perfect iteration of one of my most beloved game series. Thanks for everything Bungie!
3. Red Dead Redemption ; Yet again, Rockstar redefines sandbox gaming and storytelling.
4. Mass Effect 2 ; Kind of an inverse of the first game. Great gameplay, not-so-great story.
5. God of War 3 ; God of War 3 is a big dumb action game and I loved every minute of it.
6. Vanquish ; Just got this game, fucking fantastic! I'm so mad that I overlooked this. It was a blast on Hard. By the way, completion time was 8 hours and 9 minutes. Haters gonna hate.
7. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty ; Not much of an RTS player, but the single player campaign kept me enthralled for hours.
8. Civilization 5 ; So much depth to this game. I can play it forever.
9. Alan Wake ; Remedy creates another interesting and rich universe. I look forward to Alan Wake's future endeavors.
10. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX ; Pac-Man Championship Edition but better.
x. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit ; I never thought that I'd be thinking about a Need for Speed title when deciding my GOTY choices. I guess that's a testament to the skills of the guys over at Criterion Games. Keep up the good work!
x. DeathSpank ; Kept me busy throughout a good chunk of the summer, and for that I thank you.
x. MineCraft ; Good times with friends. What else can you say?

zoku88

Aw man, I forgot Victoria 2 released this year. Horribly broken at launch, it actually got pretty good after the 1.2 patch.

AkuMifune

Banned
1. Red Dead Redemption ; Red Dead Redemption is just further proof that Rockstar creates open world games in another league from anyone else. A beautiful landscape, compelling narrative, strong characters, great music, and tons of fun things to do, this is without a doubt a true modern classic. Undead Nightmare also happens to be the best DLC released this year too, adding an amazing side story to an already pretty deep game. Go skin some bears!

2. Mass Effect 2 ; It's a testament to how good Mass Effect 2 is that it was one of the first games I played in 2010 and almost made the top spot. While the main story did little to improve on the first, and in many ways mirrored it very closely (how many Bioware games will I have to spend assembling a team of ragtag ne'er-do-wells to stop an impending doom while trying to nail as many of them as possible?!?!?), it improved the core mechanics enough to make it possible the best action/RPG hybrid ever. Mix in some great choices and solid writing, and I'll keep saving the universe no matter how old it gets.

3. Heavy Rain ; I'll just hit these points right away. Yes the voice work was atrocious and the game should never have been set in the US. Yes there were some plot holes looking back, but this isn't a game to look back and analyze, this was a game about existing in the moment and be carried on an amazing modern choose-your-own-adventure, and man did it deliver. Tense, intriguing and beautiful to look at, Heavy Rain made me emo for a whole month after I played and parts of it still stick with me. A brilliant game.

4. Fallout: New Vegas ; Obsidian found a way to take Bethesda's engine and create one of the best RPGs of 2010, improving many things the franchise lacked in Fallout 3. Branching main story, factions, interesting side missions, a more consistent tone, and even hardcore mode added some really old-school limitations I found very appealing. You'll think twice about fast traveling now!

5. Limbo ; The compelling story of two young children killed in a car accident and one boys journey to save his sisters soul and lead them out of purgatory, Limbo is..wait, you didn't know that? This game has no story? Oh contrare monfrare, you just weren't paying attention. Maybe there was no cutscene to bang you over the head with it, but the subtle and deeply sad story of Limbo is actually what puts this game ahead of many full-on retail releases for me this year. With stellar animation and puzzles that made you feel smart at every turn, it shouldn't be such a surprise that a simple black and white game could be so successful. Just don't be an ADD-addled fool who needed the narrative spoonfed to you.

6. Alan Wake ; I fell on the side that really loved everything this game was doing. From the self-aware 90's thriller dialogue and overarching Stephen King-inspired plot, to the running through scary forests with guns and flashlights gameplay and campy, bizarre soundtrack, Alan Wake really hit my survival horror buttons this year. A shame it didn't hit any sales buttons 'cause I'll probably never get to see what happens to the old boy.

7. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 ; BC2 did alot to make the core game more interesting, more accessible and simply more fun, and in multiplayer, it does a great job of offering a variety of different roles and scenarios with an emphasis on teamwork, making it one of the deeper games available, and maybe the only one where k/d ratio doesn't matter. Sure the sniper in the corner went 20-1 and I just went 20/20, but I also destroyed 5 M-COM stations and we won. Take that weaksauce! The Vietnam expansion is just the cherry on top.

8. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood ; Well this came out of nowhere. What I expected to be a multiplayer-focused entry in the series turned out to be a full on sequel to my runner up game from 2009, how did that happen? Regardless, I was happy to spend another 30 hours in Ezio's leather boots, and even though it was only one city this time, I thought that was an improvement because it was a giant playground of death for me and my team of assassins. More Desmond would have been nice, but I'm sticking with this franchise til the end, so that'll have to wait.

9. Mafia 2 ; I don't say this often, but if you didn't like Mafia II, you just didn't get it. Where other games present the open world as a sandbox for a variety of mediocre tertiary activities, Mafia II's Empire Bay is merely the stage for an epic and compelling narrative that follows Vito's rise through the seedy underbelly of the Sicilian mafioso. No there isn't an extended cast of goofy secondary characters, and while the ones in play are painted in broad strokes, they are grounded in their game world, giving the missions that change their fates much more weight than the average GTA adventure. Linearity is often cited as a drawback in this game, but only to those expecting a city filled with mind-numbing mini-games. The driving sections are more than filler, they help you really feel you're part of this world; a beautifully rendered city that adds a lot to the character of the game overall.

10. Metro 2033 ; There were alot of other games I wish I could add here (Just Cause 2, Lara and the Guardian of Light) but what Metro 2033 did well, it did really well. Rusty bullets, faulty gas masks, drunk Russians eking out a living in the post-apocalyptic Moscow sewers and misunderstood irradiated human/alien hybrids, Metro 2033 puts you smack in the middle of a sci-fi novel and did a bunch of really interesting things most developers don't have the balls to do. A really underrated gem.

EDIT: Had time this week to play most of these again and had to restructure my list a bit. Heavy Rain and Limbo will have a lasting impact on me as a gamer, and ME2 is a much more polished experience with a stronger central story than New Vegas. I'm really happy with this list and order now.

Kers

1. Bayonetta
2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
3. Red Dead Redemption
4. Mass Effect 2
5. StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty
6. Vanquish
7. Sin and Punishment: Star Successor
8. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX
9. Shantae: Risky's Revenge
10. 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors

Solo

StuBurns said:
Here they are

'04 - MGS3
'05 - RE4
'06 - Zelda: TP
'07 - Super Mario Galaxy
'08 - MGS4
'09 - Uncharted 2

EDIT: MGS3 beating HL2 is fucking ridiculous.

Not as fucking ludicrous as MGS4 winning best of anything, let alone Game of the Year.

Rainier

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
2. Minecraft
3. Just Cause 2
4. Red Dead Redemption
5. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
6. Donkey Kong Country Returns
7. Joe Danger
8. Fallout: New Vegas
9. Snoopy: Flying Ace
10. Heavy Rain

Sidzed2

1. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
2. God of War 3
3. Bayonetta
4. Vanquish
5. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
6. Super Mario Galaxy 2
7. Red Dead Redemption
8. Donkey Kong Country Returns
9. Mass Effect 2
10. Heavy Rain

Manus

1. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm
2. Red Dead Redemption
3. Mass Effect 2
4. Heavy Rain
5. Super Street Fighter 4

1. Mass Effect 2 ; Although it was not the sequel I was expecting, I had a blast with Mass Effect 2. The characters were brilliant, as good if not better than the first and although the story wasn't as strong, it was still a pretty good addition to the Mass Effect Universe. The choices that carried over from the first game gave me a feeling that actions did have consequences, something very few games have been able to do.
2. Fallout: New Vegas ; I love Bethesda games, and when you give a Bethesda game to an arguably more talented RPG studio then expectations are high. Fallout New Vegas met all my expectations, improving on Fallout 3 in almost every way, except bugs of course.
3. Alan Wake
4. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
5. Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening
6. Halo: Reach
7. Yakuza 3
8. Heavy Rain
9. Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
10. Persona 3 Portable
x. Alpha Protocol
x. Fable 3
x. Red Dead Redemption ; I am loving this game but unfortunately I will not be finished due to console issues by the end of the year, I couldn't put a game I hadn't finished in the top 10 so I had to at least give an honorable mention.
x. Game Dev Story ;

Lots of people are listing honorable mentions incorrectly, separating same-line comments with something other than a semicolon (the character ";"), using Roman numerals, or otherwise mangling title names.

Please post following the format in the OP if you want your entry counted.

Raw64life

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
2. Dragon Quest 9: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
3. Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 2
4. God of War 3
5. Donkey Kong Country Returns
6. Final Fantasy 13
7. Angry Birds
8. NBA Jam
9. Picross 3D
10. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
A shame that my list isn't completely accurate. (and won't be) as they are a number of 2010 titles that i haven't played and won't be able to until next year.

Top 10

1. Donkey kong country returns ; DKC2 was like one of my top 10 games of all time. And yet this trumps it in pretty much every aspect except for music. My GOTY 2010 easily.

2. Super meat boy ; It has hands-down the tightest controls in a platformer, and is filled with lots of awesome content. Probably my best purchase of 2010. For $10 i got more value out of it then the other retail games i purchased this year.

3. Sin and Punishment 2 ; The perfect 3D rail-shooter and probably the best thing treasure has created.

4. Bayonetta ; This game represents everything that is awesome about action games. And it's one of those games whenever play that I'm like "THIS IS SO MUCH FUN"

5. World of warcraft : Cataclysm ; Really impressed with this expansion in comparison to the last one. The questing content once again is as good as ever, but unlike WotLK the end-game doesn't feel as boring and feels like a good mix of BC and WotlK.

6. Super Mario Galaxy 2 ; It was like SMG (the GOTY of 2007) but even better.

7. Starcraft 2 ; Haven't played the SP. But the amount of hours spent on the multi-player is some of my best gaming experiences this year.

8. Mass effect 2 ; Better then the first game in a number of ways but a huge step-back in some other areas, if it got those other parts right it would have easily hit my top 3.

9. Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth ; Objectively speaking probably doesn't deserve to be on the top 10, but like every other AA game it kept me hooked from start to finish. And it had some real awesome moments to!

10. Infinite space ; Once again probably dosen't objectively deserve to be here. But I'm such a SF nerd, and this game really nailed the 80s animu space opera feel with some good characters, nice-looking ships, engaging plot and it's nice sense of scale make up for it's rather boring and repetitive battle system.

Honorable mentions

x. Sakura Wars - So Long My Love (PS2) ;It's a shame we had to wait so long for this. And i kinda lost interest in the last chapter because of how combat-heavy it was. But it was a very charming game that kept me hooked up to that point.

x. Dragon Quest IX; Classic DQ as usual. Only reason this didn't hit my top 10 was because it didn't grab me as much as the other DQ games did. But still pretty awesome regardless!

ep85

01. Super Mario Galaxy 2
02. Mass Effect 2
03. Bayonetta
04. Dance Central
05. Monster Hunter 3: Tri
06. Final Fantasy 13
07. Red Dead Redemption
08. Super Street Fighter 4
09. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game
10. Angry Birds

1.) Bayonetta
2.) Vanquish
3.) Super Street Fighter 4
4.) Heavy Rain
5.) Gran Turismo 5
6.) Mass Effect 2
7.) Red Dead Redemption
8.) God of War 3
9.) Final Fantasy 13
10.) Fallout 3 : New Vegas

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I'll make mine simple and sweet.

twinturbo2's ballot

1. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit ; The comeback kid does it, and I can't be any happier. Criterion Games does it again!
2. Terminator Salvation Arcade; If you see this at a local arcade, give it a try, it's a lot of fun.
3. Hydro Thunder Hurricane; Who says the spirit of Midway Games is dead? Apparently, Vector Unit didn't get the memo, and we're all the better for it.
4. Blur; Needs more love, seriously.
5. Pac-Man CE DX; If it ain't broke, don't fix it, just add more stuff.
6. Scott Pilgrim; Loved it, old-school done right.
7. Sega Racing Classic; It's on the list because Sega hasn't forgotten about Daytona USA.
8. Golden Tee 2011; Love the new course designs, but I still shank it to the right. Must be the trackball. :lol
9. Split/Second; if the AI wasn't so frustrating, it would be higher on the list.
10. DeathSpank; just got into it, I like what I see.

Cheesemeister said:
Lots of people are listing honorable mentions incorrectly, separating same-line comments with something other than a semicolon (the character ";"), using Roman numerals, or otherwise mangling title names.

Does mine look okay?

Anth0ny

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2- Not only the game of the year, but my personal game of the gen so far. I didn't think it was possible to top Galaxy 1... I was wrong, and couldn't be happier.

2. Pokemon Black/White- They did it. They finally made changes to Pokemon, and oh man was this game great from beginning to end. Can't wait til everyone has it come next year :D

3. Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver- It's a remake of Pokemon GSC, of course it's gonna be on the list. This DS remake of the best gen of Pokemon will be in my DS for years to come.

4. Super Street Fighter 4-
I suck at it, but it's still amazing fun with friends. Hell, just watching the top level play on streams has given me thrills few games have... the gaf threads were awesome :lol

These are the only 4 that have really stood out for me as GOTY material. I'm not done Halo Reach yet (I'm sure it could make this list), and I haven't played RDR yet =(

moozoom

1. Dragon Quest 9: Sentinels of the Starry skies
2. Professor Layton and the Unwound Future
3. Demon's Souls (PAL)
4. Monster Hunter Tri
5. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
6. Limbo
7. Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth
8. Game dev Story
9. Fragile Dreams

1. No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle ; Most fun I had with a game this year. Improvement on the original.
2. Civilization 5 ; Lot's of good changes and I enjoyed replaying it more than I normally do with Civ games. Niggling flaws aside.
3. Nier ; Enjoyable and inventive game with great style.
4. VVVVVV ; I had to change the clock speed on my brain to play this.
5. Chime ; Addictive game with great music.
6. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light ; It's like finding something delightful from a parrellel universe where mainstream game development went in a different direction in the mid 90s.
7. Flotilla: Orbital Battleship Maneuvers ; Brilliant 3d tactical ship combat. Would be my number one if it had more stuff.
8. Alpha Protocol ; There was a fair amount that dissapointed me about this game but the core of it is totally playable and kept my interest all the way to the end.

I suspect that Super Mario Galaxy 2 would have been one of my favourites but when it was released I set myself a challenge to clean up a certain amount of the stars I had left in the original and I'm slacking.

Tigel

1. Red Dead Redemption
2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
3. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm
4. Minecraft
5. Mass Effect 2
6. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty
7. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
8. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
9. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
x. God of War 3
x. Heavy Rain
x. Amnesia: The Dark Descent

GWX

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2 ; The sequel to GAF's 2007 GOTY is simply amazing. So much variety and creativity, quick and simple interface (simplified hub = better for short play sessions), great visuals and music (as usual), perfect controls and almost perfect camera made this my 2010 GOTY.
2. Super Meat Boy ; The finest 10 bucks that I spent this year. Excellent mechanics (controls and physics are pretty much perfect), great music and level design. Congratulations, Team Meat.
3. Mass Effect 2 ; Lighter on the RPG side, but the fun combat made me enjoy it much more than the first one.
4. Donkey Kong Country Returns ; Retro never let me down, and with this game it wasn't any different: They made one of the finest 2D platformers I have ever played. Brilliant level design, high difficulty level and great visuals made this a blast.
5. Sin & Punishment 2: Star Successor ; When this game was announced at Nintendo's october event in 2008, I was very excited. Almost two years later the game was finally released in America, and it was worth the wait. Treasure did it: they surpassed the original.
6. Shatter (this is game is not on the list guys, please add it) ; Sidhe released this game on PSN last year, but it only hit PC this year. Addictive mechanics, excellent soundtrack and solid visuals made this a hell of a ride, specially in local co-op.
7. Goldeneye 007 ; Haven't tried the multiplayer, but the single player is very well crafted and a blast to play. I didn't expect much to begin with, and it left a pretty good impression after trying it. I'd say is better than most of the popular shooters released this gen, single player wise.
8. Alien Swarm (this is game is not on the list guys, please add it) ; Valve surprised pretty much everyone when they announced that Alien Swarm, the sequel to the praised UT2004 mod, would be free to play on Steam. While the developers didn't add any new campaigns over the time (mods aren't that hot so far), I played it a lot with my friends online, more than I thought I would.
9. Dead Rising 2 ; Great sequel of a great game. Blue Castle got right what Dead Rising is, and improved pretty much everything.
10. VVVVVV ; A short, but sweet adventure. The Amiga-like visuals and music works very well for the game and the gameplay is awesome (controls could be tighter, though).

edit: Changed the format to fit the rules, sorry guys.

Boney

Banned
1. Metroid: Other M; A bold experiment with the franchise that doesn't quite hit all the right notes, but when it does, it's first of it's class. If you need the ability to go back after every power-up you obtain, you won't like this. But the game does an incredible job at swiftly moving you from location to location, having new dangers in older rooms and keeping the action moving. Opposite of Bayonetta, it takes the action genre to a different culmination, offering a fast, yet efficient way of dispatching foes, keeps the game moving and offers plenty of visual rewards to well done combat. The camara system introduced is the best I have seen in gaming. It relates to the 2d games before it, while offering 3 movement and rooms when it makes sense, pans and zooms in fluid takes that makes you work seamless with the camara and not fight it like every 3d game before it. Unfortunately, it trips with a few odd and obscure design choices, a bad localisation and playing it safe by abandoning the investigation parts. Regardless, it delivers like no other game before it.

2. Monster Hunter 3: Tri; It's my most played game of all time. Although it has the carrot & stick mechanic I so hate, combat makes up for it. Going up against a huge monster too fail countless times and finally defeating it has little comparisons. And being able to defeat it easily later with no upgrades seals the deal. Throw in hell of a GAF group in online play, I killed hours and hours and hours.

3. Bayonetta; It's the pinacle of the combo based action game. The elegant design of attacking while dodging with the combination of wicked weaves, it creates a system like no other, you're always in control of the fight. The best character introduced this year, and countless nods to other games, makes it the culmination of everything Kamiya, PG, Clover and the little treats by SEGA. It is a bit chatty at times, like Other M, camara sometimes fights you and the secret combat zones are idiotically hidden though.

4. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker; Good to see the series back. Although the story is completely unnecesary, and at times offensive, I can forgive it thanks to both the incredibly smart bite sized campaign, and the ammount of content in the game. Controls are finally streamlined making perfect use of the PSP's hardware. Next time though, hire some competent guards.

5. Sin & Punishment 2: Star Successor; The return of the arcade shooter never played better. S&P2's design feels like a natural extension of the Wii Remote, never being completely overwhelming, but offering great challenge throughout the whole 2 campaigns. Story is absolutely absurd and entretaining. If you haven't picked this up yet, do it now.

6. Super Mario Galaxy 2; Takes Galaxy, and expands on it in every posibly imaginable way. For the most part, drops the spherical and gravity gimmick of the first one and instead opts to introduce a new gimmick in every galaxy, with no limitation regarding logic or physics. Great use of the pointer as an extension of controls, and a killer post game content, it leaves the next 3d Mario with some big shoes to fill.

7. Cave Story; LTTP here, but I only found out about this one after the confirmation of it coming to Wii ware, and thought what the hell, if it's as good as everybody says, I'll just wait and play it there. But boy did it blew me away. Pixel crafted one of the most lovable worlds ever, filled with great sights, music and characters. Gameplay is top notch as well, with a very smart leveling up system and tons of hidden secrets throughout. A shame about the fetch quest with the dogs tainting an otherwise perfect game. Although the Wiiware port carries some cool extras, like time attack Sanctuary and Curly mode, so much fluff detracts from the exprience and not to mention the touched up (optional) graphics and music are not good. It would be my no.1 if it wasn't for the fact that it released years ago, and this is actually an underwhelming port.

8. Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars; The return of the vs series. And brings the fighter closer to what this scrub thinks should gravitate towards. Easy execution with depth to back it up. Great roster to seal the deal as well. Too bad about botching the soundtrack with the localisation. Haven't had extensive time with SSF4, that's why this one takes the spot, but feels like a shared merit to me.

9. Kirby's Epic Yarn; Best described as "My first Wario Land". It uses the same basic style of slow platforming with a focus on puzzle solving, although it's often times easier. This is not an absolute negative though, it allows you to enjoy the game with many different people, and let yourself go with the beautiful world developed by Good Feel. It offers a great variety with the different transformation stages as well.

10. Professor Layton & the Unwound Future; Perfect culmination of the PL saga. Although much easier than it's predecesors, it offers the best variety in puzzle design, an incredibly paced story, and a beautiful set of cinematics and artwork. Great amount of extras and downloadable puzzles, will keep you coming back for more.

Notably missing are titles which I've yet to play like, Super Meat Boy, Vanquish, DKCR, Golden Sun, Patchwork Heroes, Pac Man and 3D Dot Game Heroes among others.

Corto

Cheesemeister said:

Do we have to precede the honorable mentions with the X. like in the OP?

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Cheesemeister said:

I'll look through the honorable mentions and add them to the list.

Ashes

Banned
My list keeps changing... for example Gt5 is making a late comeback to the top of the tree...
I'm surprised at the lack of need for speed though... I need to play Limbo and Super Meat Boy, I think.

Corto

Cheesemeister said:
Yes. Any other way of listing them will NOT be counted.

Thanks, I've corrected mine. I thought it was just a placeholder. I understand now that will help the parser differentiating the honorable mentions from the real votes. :D~

edit: Just to point out to you guys that Cladun: This is an RPG is not on the nominated list of games and it was already voted on post #181 and I gave it an honorable mention. ;)

1. Bayonetta ; imported the japanese version on release last year. last game i imported on release was the chinese version of demon's souls. that's 2 years in a row i've imported my goty :) . loved every bit of it, particularly the enemy designs & the awesome soundtrack...
2. Resonance of Fate ; my rpg of the year. turn-based bullet ballet (who'd'a thunk it?) combined with a very memorable trio of characters (& some genuinely 'wtf?!' scenarios)...
3. Persona 3 Portable ; amazing but true - basically replaying a modified version of a game i'd played only 3 years ago turned out to be as much fun as playing almost everything else this year...
4. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker ; i really liked mgs:po, & this was mgs:po on steroids. clever mechanics, tons of depth, & some great boss battles...
5. Red Dead Redemption ; first rockstar game i've ever enjoyed. environment first, horse second, & everything else was just frosting on the cake...
6. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood ; was fully expecting a half-assed retread. what i got instead was a beautifully fleshed-out retread, & that was fine by me...
7. Final Fantasy 13 ; yeah, it took forever to get to pulse, but , once there, i thought everything really shined (including the combat mechanics)...
8. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light ; after flower, the best downloadable title i've played. very pretty, & great gameplay - inspired...
9. Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep ; okay, credit where credit's due - unlike nier (which formerly occupied this spot), the more i played this, the more i enjoyed the combat. worth checking out even if you're not a kh fan...
10. Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey ; as discussed elsewhere, yes, a game can be both great & disappointing at the same time. for me, this is such a game - lots done right, but, overall, not nearly as good as even smt: devil survivor...

honorable mentions:

x. Yakuza 3 ; played the japanese version via faq last year, & own but haven't played the localized version yet...
x. Vanquish ; i've played it for maybe an hour, & it intimidates the hell outa me. & i like that :) ...
x. ZHP: Unlosing Ranger Vs. Darkdeath Evilman ; if i were to finally, really get into this, it could very possibly become one of my favorite games of all time - that's how perfect (& funny) it feels to me...
x. 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors ; point & click perfection - fun, unique story & tricky but fair puzzles...

Ashes

Banned
Cheesemeister said:
Yes. Any other way of listing them will NOT be counted.

what happens to the posts that are ineligible btw? Does the 'script' flag that post up for manual fixing? And what about people who update their post? or have two posts by mistake? Like they just forget that they voted already?

olimpia84

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
2. BioShock 2
3. Battlefield: Bad Company 2
4. F1 2010
5. 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa
6. Gran Turismo 5
7. No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle
8. Monster Hunter 3: Tri
9. Medal of Honor
10. Heavy Rain

Ashes1396 said:
what happens to the posts that are ineligible btw? Does the 'script' flag that post up for manual fixing? And what about people who update their post? or have two posts by mistake? Like they just forget that they voted already?

As the OP states, you can update your post as often as you wish to.
Also, if you post a 2nd time, your second ballot will overwrite your first ballot.

Myzer

1. God of War 3
2. Gran Turismo 5
3. Civilization 5
4. Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse
5. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty
6. Heavy Rain
7. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm
8. Red Dead Redemption
9. Football Manager 2011
10. DeathSpank

Status