• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2010 - Voting Thread - VOTING CONCLUDED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alts

Cheesemeister said:
Delimeters are obviously necessary to determine what the title string is. Things like abbreviations and numeral variations make it harder to match strings. When all these variable versions will need further data massaging which would otherwise be unnecessary.

I'm familiar with the issue of naming variations. When I ran through all the votes from 2008, I had to do that very thing, and the biggest issue is acronyms.

But instead of one (or two) individuals massaging data afterward, you get a bunch of people messing up naming. Inconveniencing a few (volunteers) versus inconveniencing many seems optimal.

Anyway, we'll see how this ends up.

Momo

Banned
1. Bayonetta
2. Metal Gear Solid : Peace Walker
3. Vanquish
4. Persona 3 Portable
5. Castlevania : Lords of Shadowi
6. Monster Hunter Tri
7. Yakuza 3
8. Valkyria Chronicles 2

dwebo

1. Gran Turismo 5 ; Lamborghini, night, Tuscany.
2. Mass Effect 2 ; Best sex scenes of 2010.
3. Fallout: New Vegas ; Vault 11, 'nuff said.
4. Red Dead Redemption ; "Far Away", interrupted by herb picking.
5. Heavy Rain ; Self-mutilation simulator.
6. Super Mario Galaxy 2 ; Super Mario Galaxy More.
7. God of War 3 ; MLAA all over my face.
8. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood ; Assassin's Creed 2.5.
9. 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors ; Best use of the DS, ever.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
1. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm
2. Gran Turismo 5
3. Final Fantasy 13
4. God of War 3
5. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
6. Heavy Rain
7. Super Street Fighter 4
8. Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
9. 3D Dot Game Heroes
10. MAG

1. Mass Effect 2
2. Chime
3. Monday Night Combat
4. Lost Planet 2
5. Bayonetta
6. Dead Rising 2
7. Hydro Thunder Hurricane
8. Kirby's Epic Yarn
9. Super Meat Boy
10. Halo: Reach

Broman1978

1-Red Dead Redemption
2-Alan Wake
3-Limbo
4-Mass Effect 2
5-Halo Reach
6-Fable 3
7-Call of Duty:Black Ops
8-Bad Company 2

jiggle

1. God of War 3
2. Final Fantasy 13
3. Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep
4. Final Fantasy 14
5. Heavy Rain
6. Pokemon Black/White
7. Dragon Quest 9

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
1. Bayonetta
2. Mount and Blade: Warband
3. Lost Planet 2
4. Nier

About all I wish to vote for this year and to be fair, I really don't know if I really want to put forth LP2 and Nier. The other major standouts for the year, have all been older titles(beside Mount and Blade Warband + Bayonetta). With a large number of titles like Recettar or Vanquish are still left to be played.

zoku88

timetokill: can you add Victoria 2 to the list? Even though I doubt anyone but me will vote on it, given the broken state it released in.

Brashnir

1. Minecraft
2. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX
3. Halo: Reach
4. Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition ; even though this game is not on the nominees list, it's on mine. suck it.
5. Donkey Kong Country Returns
6. Just Cause 2
7. Pinball FX 2
8. Super Meat Boy
9. Super Mario Galaxy 2
10. Civilization 5

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
1. Sin & Punishment 2: Star Successor ; Not only my Game of the Year 2009 (Japanese version on that one natch), it is also my Game of the Generation. S&P2 stands for what the Wiimote excels at and throws at you the most imaginative level design I have seen in years. Treasure and company decided to throw every single element they could come up and somehow fit it into an on-rails shooter that, for all intents and purposes, should not exist. It is a title that does not bother itself in explaining why stuff happens -it just happens, and every time it happens you have to re-learn how to play the game. Creativity oozes at every enemy encounter, from the side-scrolling portions to the 360 degrees battles. And when you think it could not get better, Treasure changes the objective altogether while retaining the same basic mechanics, point and shoot/slice while jumping/dodging. A cult classic in the making, and an oasis of pure and distilled game mechanics in a generation overrun with bloated cinematography and unfulfilled expectations.
2. Donkey Kong Country Returns ; My favourite platformer in years. If the Super Mario Galaxy games are paragons of creativity in 3D platforming, DKCR is the same in 2D platforming. It beats out last year's New Super Mario Bros. Wii at its own game -the difference being that DKCR doesn't shy away from delighting you with amazing graphics and music. Every level relies on a different gimmick, yet that doesn't prevent it from being an exemplar herald of how this type of gameplay has evolved through twenty-five years despite its decade-long lull.
3. Super Mario Galaxy 2 ; The first Galaxy was an example of how gameplay design did not have to succeed at the expense of audiovisual presentation. I hate to say "more of the same", but in this case Galaxy 2 delivers out exactly what everybody loved from the first game. It is more platforming-based than before, and although I believe the second half of the game is quite inferior, it always interests you and makes you wonder just how mad its developers truly are. Although definitely better than GotY 2007, it sadly succumbs to worthier competition and some stupid decisions that hinder me from ranking it higher.
4. Golden Sun: Dark Dawn ; Like Aeana put it in a tweet, "Golden Sun 3: more Dragon Quest than Dragon Quest 9". I will say, however, that it fails at being a challenging RPG because of the easy difficulty -the battle system is as great as always, but it doesn't give enough obstacles to force you to master it. Its main strength relies on the out-of-battle level design, outdoing Zelda from the first puzzle to the last one. Never do I feel cheated out by the dungeons in GS3, and like the following game in this list it will remind you of the JRPG fan of yore. Wonderful presentation and music give it a plus, too.
5. Dragon Quest 9: Sentinels of the Starry Skies ; Dragon Quest games have this je ne sais quoi that, despite the light-hearted plots, tug at my inner child by reminding me of when games used to be amazing worlds where impossible things happen. I won't say that DQIX is the de facto DQ, but it does a lot to renovate the formula without eschewing altogether. It's comfort food for the JRPG connoisseur, but sadly its writing leaves a lot to be desired.
6. Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars ; It's fun, frenetic, and absolutely gorgeous. I may not know half of the cast, but the presentation is so well-constructed that it makes me want to research about them. It's the best fighter on the Wii, by far.
7. Persona 3 Portable ; A JRPG classic that gets improved with superior gameplay and portability. This was my first foray into the Persona 3 universe and it didn't disappoint. It is tough, but never unfair, although I will admit that P4 had a much more intriguing difficulty curve and plot. I would not like the same formula implemented to Inaba in a theoretical Persona 4 Portable, however.
8. Trauma Team ; Probably the best use of the original waggle aspect of the Wii Remote, coupled with a dramatic plot that, while failing at any sort of believability, keeps you interested at all times. Even the dreaded Endoscopy sections have its value if you are patient enough to truly appreciate what they are trying to do here. Absolutely breath-taking game.
9. Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth ; While I always appreciated the "first-person" aspect of the main series, the fact is that investigation in-between courtroom scenes was a chore and rarely enticing enough. The change in formula is magnificent, and I hope it gets its due serving with real court cases. It would be higher had the writing not left so much to be desired.
10. Valkyria Chronicles 2 ; It's difficult to actually say that this game deserves to be in this list, because anything that's actually fun about it is stuff it inherited from the first installment. It takes a lot of backwards steps from the prequel and it definitely leaves a lot to be desired -not because of the platform choice, mind you (I thought going portable was great), but because of design decisions like the credit system that are not fun and the plot that somehow became more laughable than before. Whatever seems to be the case, the fundamentals of the series are still very serviceable, and elevate VCII to be higher than it should be on its own merits.

Honourable Mentions (for having the balls to be garbage):

Metroid: Other M ; for being a piece of shit that did everything wrong at every single step.
Final Fantasy 13 ; for being a piece of shit and killing my love for Final Fantasy.
Final Fantasy 14 ; for being a piece of shit and somehow managing to overturn FFXIII as the biggest what the fuck in the franchise this year.

samoset

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2 ; The most fun I've had with any game this year. It not only brought me back to my childhood but justified the purchase of my wii.
2. Mass Effect 2 ; A fantastic refinement of the first game. Unlike many others I felt the loss of many rpg mechanics was balanced out by the satisfaction of the game-play. The story was solid and held more weight in a players' decision then any other game I've played.
3. Deadly Premonition ; Quirky and fun no other game I've ever played had a sense of humor quite like Deadly Premonition. The action sections of the game while draining and barely up to par is outweighed by the fun of doing side-quests and meeting the strange characters of Greenvale. I think if treated more like an adventure game and less like a Resident Evil, Deadly Premonition is a unique gem that is one of the best games of the year.
4. Minecraft ; Even in alpha no game gives me more hope for the industry than Minecraft. No other game has quite given me the same sense of satisfaction from exploration to building the world as I see fit. As the game grows into beta and eventually full release I can see Minecraft becoming one of the best games ever made.
5. Red Dead Redemption ; The best Rockstar game ever made. Red Dead really nails the feeling of a Western in a video-game, with a fantastic story and great game-play. The only criticisms I have of the game is that it was maybe too long. Parts in Mexico and the latter third of the game feel like they could be edited to greater effect. Hopefully any future Red Dead or Rockstar game won't feel the need to be quite as long as it can become quite draining trying to reach the end of the story.
6. Super Meat Boy ; Fantastic controls, level design, and style.
7. Just Cause 2 ; One of the best sandboxes ever created.
8. Halo: Reach ; Best single player campaign since Halo 1 but the ending really let me down, and the multiplayer just doesn't hold my attention like it has previously.
9. Civilization 5 ; One of the most addictive game I've played. Unfortunately after the first 30 hours the limitations of the A.I. ruined it for me.
10. Dragon Quest 9: Sentinels of the Starry Skies ; Never thought I'd like a Dragon Quest game, I was wrong.
x. Picross 3D ; A great twist on traditional Picross, unfortunately the twist didn't hold my attention as long as traditional Picross.
x. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm ; A fantastic expansion and a vast amount of new content, but the game's quest structure can't hold my attention anymore.

StuBurns said:
So what about things like the people having consoles from other regions? Or people moving abroad?

Just note your situation to clarify that whatever title was new to the region from which you bought the game.

1.StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty

I didn't play a lot of games this year, but from what I've played, Starcraft 2 is the only one worth mentioning in my GOTY list.

Al-ibn Kermit

1. Mass Effect 2; it takes the perfect sci-fi-choose-your-own-adventure-concept-and-shoot-it-up concept from the first game and makes it into the perfect game and has a better story. A lot of rough edges were smoothed out and polished so even though the concept isn't as fresh, it's imo the best made game of the year.

2. Metro 2033; a mindblowing visual experience and easily the best story of 2010. I did like 3-4 playthroughs in a row with my jaw consistently dropped. It has flaws though, the shooting feels a little stiff and at least back when I played it it was a little glitchy. I would say that it's easily the most memorable game of this year but it's not the best made.

3. Red Dead Redemption; probably the most interesting and unique setting of any game this year but it kind of underwhelmed on the shooting. It just got a little repetitive on the combat side but it's still on the podium.

4. Halo Reach; the perfect multiplayer game, with a really great campaign on the side too. It obviously plays like every other Halo but it looks a lot cleaner and feels a lot better balanced.

5. Battlefield: Bad Company 2; it's multiplayer loses out to Halo because your enjoyment totally depends on how well your team works together. It can be extremely frustrating if everybody's being a lone wolf and is the only multiplayer game I've ever rage-quitted from, but still one of the funnest ones that I've played.

6. Just Cause 2; the game does what it does perfectly. If you want to run around a sandbox creating chaos and feeding your OCD, this does that.

7. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood; it's just like more AC2. It's nothing that fresh but it is stll one of the funner games this year.

8. Fallout: New Vegas; similar to AC2, but buggier. One of the best timesinks out there.

9. Bioshock 2; fundamentally, I don't believe there were any real flaws with this game. The shooting and the story were better done than the first game but it was just A LOT like the first game. One of the funnest games I've played this year but it just didn't feel like there were any huge improvements.

10. Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days; I loved the first one and I love this one even more. The story and visuals were possibly the most impressive of any game this year but the shooting really let it down. I know they were going for a realistic feel with it but it frustrated the hell out of me in some parts, especially since the weapons in the first game were actually relatively accurate. It was still fun but you have to put up with a little frustration to finish it.

Parley

Banned
1. Mass Effect 2
2. Red Dead Redemption
3. Xenoblade
4. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty
5. Persona 3 Portable
6. Dragon Quest 9: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
7. Final Fantasy 13; I hated it at first and started playing it again and I really liked it.
8. Darksiders
9. Super Mario Galaxy 2
10. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

A question about what games count: do PC games released on Mac for the first time this year count? I'm thinking of stuff like Portal, Half-Life 2, Team Fortress 2, etc.

Anyway, going simply by what I've played this year:
1. Picross 3D
2. WarioWare D.I.Y.
3. Red Steel 2
4. Zen Bound 2 ; (specifically the Mac version)
5. Frogatto
6. Photo Dojo

Edit: removed And Yet It Moves WiiWare, forgot the part of the OP where it said console ports couldn't be downloadable.

StuBurns

Banned
cooljeanius said:
A question about what games count: do PC games released on Mac for the first time this year count? I'm thinking of stuff like Portal, Half-Life 2, Team Fortress 2, etc.
If Portal counts I'm changing my list.

cooljeanius said:

I'm thinking no. timetokill?

cooljeanius said:

No, sorry.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Could you add Okamiden (JP) while you're at it?

Done.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
1. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty; I was hyped on launch for 2 games this year, and this one really drew me in. Although I never played it as much (60 1v1 games, 30 *v* and 300 + custom games) as i'd have liked, I've been completly drawn into the community. I spend more time now in the GSL thread on GAF than most of GAF combined :D
2. Mass Effect 2; This game I was also majorly hyped for, having given up on ME1 when it came out due to me taking a shit route (went after matriach first) I delved back in around december, fully getting involved and, I loved the world, having a close friend every single day remind me how many days left until its launch helped too. On release I was not dissapointed, great story, great characters, and my Xbox 360, on the brink of dying due to a faulty disc drive has been packed away since I finished ME2 so I can keep it safe and from breaking and that ME3 can be played on release
3. Minecraft; Just holy shit fun. I really enjoyed the multiplayer aspect of this the most, a good friend and I really got into it and it was great spending the time with him in there, as due to Work, Uni + other things, It's sometimes hard to find the time
4. Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale; After I put my 360 away I got heavily into PC gaming, having not done so in about 8+ years. This little gem filled the gap in my heart reserved for JRPG's
5. Civilization 5; To be fair, on the entire list of games other than the ones I voted... this was the only one I also played.. and I enjoyed it greatly

Honourable Mentions: I lie, I did also play Final Fantasy 13, having not played an FF since FF9 (bar my 12 hour marathon with FFX and no memory card) I was so dissapointed by what the series has become, It is a shadow of its former self (both 16bit and PSX)
NBA JAM - Considering I put NBA JAM the original in my top 10 games of all time (for me personally, based on enjoyment at the time + lasting memories) I just havent played this.. Something inside me just refuses to go near it.. I haven't watched any trailers, seen any gameplay... I guess I'm scared of having everything ruined...

I put the above in quotes, they are my thoughts but I did not want them to be counted, feel free to alleviate my worries with NBA JAM though...

timetokill said:
No, sorry.
Oh well, I guess I'll just stick with what I posted then.
Edit: Could you add Picross 3D to your games list while you're at it? It's the biggest game I voted for that isn't in your list.

Mr. Miyato

Neo Member
1. Mass Effect 2
2. Fallout: New Vegas
3. FIFA 11
4. Red Dead Redemption
5. Bayonetta
6. Limbo
7. Halo: Reach
8. Civilization 5

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
FStop7 said:
What a rough year for music games. Rock Band 3 was a great game but there is so much genre fatigue...
And we all saw it coming. RB3 seems like a solid package, but I never even bit on RB1 or any of the guitar heros. This result was inevitable.

cooljeanius said:
Oh well, I guess I'll just stick with what I posted then.
Edit: Could you add Picross 3D to your games list while you're at it? It's the biggest game I voted for that isn't in your list.

Yep, I added all of the games that you nominated that weren't already on the list.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I pretended it didn't qualify to make my list easier, but it looks like The Sly Collection would meet your standards. A remake and a clear visual upgrade, same thing as the GoW Collection.

I loved it so I should probably bump something off my current list. Oh well.

HolyCheck

Snuggler said:
I pretended it didn't qualify to make my list easier, but it looks like The Sly Collection would meet your standards. A remake and a clear visual upgrade, same thing as the GoW Collection.

I loved it so I should probably bump something off my current list. Oh well.

Asked about games that are not allowed: Super Mario All-Stars, God of War Collection

Aghhh?

KoruptData said:
1. RDR
2. MLB The Show
3. Need For Speed HP
4. NBA 2k11
5. Heavy Rain
6. Black Ops
7. BF:BC2
8. SSF4
9. God of War 3
10. GT5

*slaps you* read the rules :lol

StuBurns

Banned
HolyCheck said:
Asked about games that are not allowed: Super Mario All-Stars, God of War Collection

Aghhh?
It might count though, move support, real 3D, it's had some notable changes beyond HD resolution.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
HolyCheck said:

Aghhh?

*slaps you* read the rules :lol

GoW Collection was 2009 (in US), SMG All-Stars was a certified ROM dump.

HolyCheck

StuBurns said:
It might count though, move support, real 3D, it's had some notable changes beyond HD resolution.

:lol :lol Yeah wasn't disputing that it might not be, just found it amusing he was comparing it to the GoW pack

Yagharek

timetokill said:
It's on the list now.

You guys are welcome to list titles not on the nominations list. I'll add them as I see them nominated. Just try to follow the game naming conventions is all :)

Starship Defense on DSi Ware (out Jan 18). :)

PasteyMF

1. Red Dead Redemption ;
2. Mass Effect 2 ;
3. Super Street Fighter 4 ;
4. God of War 3 ;
5. Super Meat Boy ;
6. Heroes of Newerth ;
7. Call of Duty: Black Ops ;
8. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty ;
9. Gran Turismo 5 ;
10. Vanquish ;

1. 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors
2. Dragon Quest 9: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
3. Last Window: The Secret of Cape West [PAL] ; Import, I'm in North America.
4. Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth
5. Costume Quest
6. Professor Layton & the Unwound Future
7. WarioWare D.I.Y.
8. Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars
9. Super Street Fighter 4
10. Heavy Rain

Honorable Mentions
x. Kirby's Epic Yarn
x. Cave Story
x. Super Scribblenauts

timetokill, could you please add Last Window: The Secret of Cape West [PAL] to the list in the OP?

tiff

Banned
I've played more than this, but these are the only games I think are worthy of contributing any points.

1. Mount & Blade: Warband ; Got it in the Steam holiday deal and played it for about a week straight afterward. By no means the prettiest game out there, but the combat itself is pretty solid. Charging the enemy lines, cutting down peasant after peasant from horseback never gets old. The campaign mode does a decent job emulating medieval warfare, from the armies levied from peasant villages to the vassal generals who serve their own interests as much as their lord's, all as you build up your own fiefdom.

2. Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love ; Awesome visual novel-type game with fantastic cast of characters, each with their own chapter. Actual combat bears a striking resemblance to Valkyria Chronicles (it is from the same developer, after all), although it's much more simple than the latter title. Almost feels like a bonus compared to the VN portion, though.

3. Atelier Rorona: Alchemist of Arland ; Only about 6 hours in, but I think I have the general gist of it. Lovely looking game with an interesting alchemy system and time management. Really bright and cheery, which I love. Dungeon crawling is fairly simplistic, but it serves as a nice change of pace, and unlike in Recettear, it's actually pretty useful.

4. S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat ; Certainly less ambitious than Shadow of Chernobyl, but with the narrower focus, GSC was really able to polish aspects of the game that they simply weren't able to in the first game. Side quests in particular stand out as huge improvements; no longer do they feel like randomized fetch quests, but real missions designed with care. Upgradable equipment and the fleshed-out artifact system are also welcome improvements from the first game. Still feels a bit rough compared to most games, but at the same time, it offers an experience you won't find elsewhere.

5. Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale ; Super adorable indie game about running a JRPG item shop. Has tons of character, and the item shop management, while not particularly deep, is fairly addicting. Dungeon crawling is not really a focus, but it's competent enough to spice things up.

6. Rune Factory 3: A Fantasy Harvest Moon ; Haven't played a lot of this either, but well, the girls all have entertaining personalities, and the farming and such seem to be fun enough. Probably too early to make a definitive judgment, but it's good so far, and, well, if I don't give it a vote I'll probably feel shitty about it later.

7. Gran Turismo 5 ; I think Forza 3 is the funner game, but GT5 is still very good in its own right, even surpassing its competitor in a number of areas. Huge variety of events means there's always something to do.

Bigfoot

StuBurns said:
Wow, GAF loves MGS... it beat out some games that I think were much better those years (IMO).

Was 2004 the first year this started? If not, does anyone know past winners if the threads no longer exist?

btkadams

i game mostly on ps3/ds/mac so this year was a little lacking imo. i only have 3 that really stood out.

1. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty ; This game had such a massive variety in gameplay objectives and modes that it more than made up for the somewhat lacking storyline. I will continue to play it, and the eventual expansions, for another decade until Starcraft 3 comes out.

2. Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver ; I spent 70 hrs playing it, so I would say my time with soul silver was pretty awesome.

3. God of War 3 ; This game is beautiful and bad-ass.

1. Halo: Reach
2. Mass Effect 2
3. Super Mario Galaxy 2
4. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
5. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty
6. Red Dead Redemption
7. Super Meat Boy
8. Donkey Kong Country Returns
9. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm
10. God of War 3

Status
Not open for further replies.