• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2010 - Voting Thread - VOTING CONCLUDED

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Mass Effect 2
2. Red Dead Redemption
3. NBA 2K11
4. Call of Duty: Black Ops
5. Halo: Reach
6. Mafia 2
7. Limbo
8. Battlefield: Bad Company 2
9. Alan Wake
10. Fallout: New Vegas
x. Monday Night Combat
x. Transformers: War for Cybertron
x. Blur

1. Super Street Fighter 4
2. Red Dead Redemption
3. Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars
4. Mass Effect 2
5. Bayonetta
6. God of War 3
7. Heavy Rain
8. Call of Duty: Black Ops
9. Halo Reach
10. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

kenta

Has no PEINS
1. Final Fantasy 13
2. God of War 3

Those are the only games I beat this year, and I feel bad ranking them so high. If I could, I'd probably label them as 3rd and 4th or something because while I really liked them, they both had some large flaws.

Team Fortress 2 got released for my gaming platform this year (Mac) and that's been my game of the year by far. Too bad I can't count it.

kenta said:
Team Fortress 2 got released for my gaming platform this year (Mac) and that's been my game of the year by far. Too bad I can't count it.

Don't we make an exception for a game reaching a new audience? For example, when Mother 3's translation was released, it was counted for 2008.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
1. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (4 points); I've sunk 300-500+ hours into this since it launched March 2nd 2010. Do it really need to give a reason about this being my GotY?
2. Trauma Team (3 points); Hit and Miss with some of the doctors, but as much as I want "DAMN SURGERIES WITH BALLS HARD DIFFICULTY" I can see the appeal and good ideas behind this and I like it all the same as much as I like the normal Trauma Center games.
3. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (3 points)
4. Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (2 points)
5. Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth (2 points)
6. Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver (2 points)
7. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light (1 point)
8. Gran Turismo 5 (1 point)
9. S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat (1 point)
10. 3D Dot Game Heroes (1 point)

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Ok, first I live in Pal Land hence my first place vote

• Demon's Souls (PAL)
    Not really a big rpg fan at all but there was something about DS that really set it apart from the others. Was it the Western design? The Realtime Combat? The Online Implementation? The Difficulty? I don't know, there was just something about that opening world that reminded me of playing Dungeons and Dragons as a kid but mixed with the difficult combat of Ninja Gaiden and that pull you got from getting owned because you lacked concentration for a split second. Absolutely fantastic game and one I wished got more recognition in European and Australasian continents.

• Vanquish
    I love sci fi and I love fast paced action games. This game had everything I wished for in a game that just felt perfect in almost every way. The length of the game when played on hard on my first play through was just right and the game produced more "Wow" moments for me than most games I've played over the last 30+years. Some of the set pieces in the game were mind blowing and the actual scope of the game was fantastic.

• MAG
    Yeah, MAG, not really that magnificent when you look at the graphics compared to other multiplayer games that came out around the time such as Bad Company 2 with its destructible environments, but this was 256 players. During the duration of my time with this game I played with some awesome people from GAF that really showed how teamwork can dominate a game and considering the matches were played with 255 other people from all over the world, the game was incredibly stable. I think the game delivered on all promises but a few of the bugs in the game took too long to fix and hindered the community. The most fun I've had with a MP fps game in a long time.

• Halo: Reach
    All I am going to say is I have thoroughly enjoyed the Halo series but Reach, to me, took it back to its roots but with a few added armour sets. The core gameplay remained the same but the actual overhaul, the story telling and the level design.... was so stoked. Thanks Bungie for an awesome series.

• Blur
    An incredibly well balanced game that paid in dividends. Some people looked at it and thought it looked shit, I looked at it and thought 'That is one incredibly fucking stable game engine'. Only a RRoD prevented me from playing this for months on end while it was in its peak and when I returned the community was all but gone. For shame. Bizarre Creations are the racing kings.

• Heavy Rain
    Such a shitty ending but what the game gave to the player during the story telling was amazing. Sort of Dragons Lair 2010 edition in some aspects but there was just some amazing story telling along the way. Is one of the very few games I've played from beginning to end without touching anything else. Not sure about a second playthrough but definitely a game worth experiencing.

• Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
    While nothing amazing on the physics side of things, the game really did seem like a step back into the NFS franchise (although secretly I'd like to see upgraded handling of the 3DO version return) and with the addition of Autolog made for an enjoyable, if little repetitive experience. Expected the cop mode to be more enjoyable than it was but ended up having more fun racing. Highly polished though, best in the series since Porsche Challenge.

• Red Dead Redemption
    Thought a GTA clone in the wild west would be boring but it delivered on all levels. Sitting on a horse on the edge of a cliff looking across the plains watching a thunder storm roll in is something I never thought I'd enjoy in videogame form. Still haven't finished it yet though but will do.

• Split Second: Velocity
    This game didn't have the legs (or wheels?) I thought it was going to have but the initial playthrough was awesome. Seeing buildings coming down in front of you, clouds of dust, gaining a few positions and emerging from the carnage unscathed hasn't felt as satisfying since Burnout 2. Sure, once you saw everything the game really lost all of its appeal, but up to that point it was a fantastic experience.

• Deadly Premonition
    I won't lie, hardly played this at all, I just put this here because outside of the cumbersome controls and dodgy voice acting you have a quirky story that you could almost put David Lynchs name to, it's cheap and it's not mainstream.

Games I didn't mention because I am currently playing and haven't seen enough to nominate...

x. Mass Effect 2
x. Alan Wake

And own but am yet to start for the first time...

x. God of War 3
x. Alpha Protocol

bill0527

1. Red Dead Redemption
2. Mass Effect 2
3. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty
4. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm
6. God of War 3

These are the only 2010 released games I played this year. Played a lot of great stuff from '09 as well.

ultron87

1. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty ; Incredibly fun to play and incredibly fun to watch other people play.
2. Halo: Reach ; I loved the single player campaign and wish I could've spent more time with Noble Team. The multiplayer continues to be best in class.
3. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood ; The best being a bad ass simulator ever. Every game needs a "Call your shadowy minions to murder that guy" button.
4. Bayonetta ; The Devil May Cry formula perfected. Contains pure concentrated insanity in the best way possible.
5. Minecraft ; Because it was something different than anything I had ever seen in a game.
6. Persona 3 Portable ; I don't have this version of the game, but after spending hours and hours with FES over the summer I need to vote for it in some form or another.
7. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm ; The best MMO got even better. And I am completely sucked back in, for better or for worse.
8. Vanquish ; Holy fucking shit this game is bananas. And incredible.
9. Angry Birds ; Probably has the highest time played over cost of game ratio of anything else on this list.

GenX, your ranks need to be delimited by periods, not colons. Also, don't number your comments. Also, your ranks may be backwards. Number 1 is your GOTY, not number 10.

A Link to the Snitch said:
Don't we make an exception for a game reaching a new audience? For example, when Mother 3's translation was released, it was counted for 2008.
I asked this on the last page and got denied...

1. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
2. Castlevania Lords of Shadow
3. God of War III
4. Dead Rising 2
5. Lara Croft: Guardian of Light
6. Vanquish
7. Darksiders: Wrath of War
8. Heavy Rain
9. God of War: Ghost of Sparta
10. Enslaved: Odyssey to the West

Honorable Mentions
x. Bayonetta
x. Dante's Inferno

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Cheesemeister said:
GenX, your ranks need to be delimited by periods, not colons. Also, don't number your comments. Also, your ranks may be backwards. Number 1 is your GOTY, not number 10.

I know, hence the first line of my post saying *currently Editing* but thanks anyway. =)

Sevket-Erhat said:
1-Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
2-Castlevania Lords of Shadow
3-God of War III
4-Dead Rising 2
5-Lara Croft: Guardian of Light
6-Vanquish
7-Darksiders: Wrath of War
8-Heavy Rain
9-God of War: Ghost of Sparta
10-Enslaved: Odyssey to the West

Honorable Mentions
Bayonetta
Dante's Inferno

You gotta reformat your list; it's gotta be, for example, "3. God of War 3", and the honorable mentions have to be formatted as "x. Bayonetta".

depward

1. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker; This was a full-blown Metal Gear Solid on a handheld that had little to no sacrifices that effected gameplay. What more could you ask for a handheld game? Great gameplay, story, and some multiplayer to boot.
2. Hot Shots Tennis: Get a Grip ; I'm a sucker for good tennis games. This is one of the best I've played since Super Tennis on the SNES.
3. The Eye of Judgment Legends ; Addressed every criticism the PS3 version had - no physical cards, a nice story mode and some great CCG mechanics.
4. NHL 11 ; EASHL dominates my playtime.
5. Monster Hunter Tri ; I borrowed a Wii for this game. And while I'm still < 10 hours in, I know this one deserves to be in the top 10. Should be even higher as I put more time into it.
6. God of War 3 ; Epic game and epic gameplay.
7. Gran Turismo 5 ; I wasn't ultra-hyped for this... and I think it makes me enjoy it even more than the average hyped-up consumer.
8. Halo: Reach ; While it wasn't revolutionary, it was a solid entry in the Halo series.
9. Z.H.P. Unlosing Ranger vs. Darkdeath Evilman ; A surprise release for me. Didn't know it was a rogue-like game. It's an easier rogue-like game with a zany story and just a lot of fun.
10. Blur ; This game deserved more sales.

gdt

1. Mass Effect 2; One of my favorite games ever, fantastic improvement on ME1.

2. Red Dead Redemption; Extremely close to my top spot. Pretty much interchangable, actually.

3. Super Mario Galaxy 2; Platforming and game design bliss.

4. Fallout: New Vegas; Haven't finished it yet, but enjoying the hell out of it. Not to buggy for me yet, either!

5. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood; Best AC game, bar none.

6. God of War 3

7. Halo Reach

8. Alan Wake

9. Darksiders

10. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit

Bah, I hate making lists. 1-5 are ridiculously close together in quality for me. Really awesome year, with a weak Q4.

althe13

1. Angry Birds
2. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty
3. Fruit Ninja
4. Red Dead Redemption
6. DJ Hero 2
7. Civilizations 5
8. Super Meat Boy
9. Mafia 2
10. Super Scribblenauts

Kritz

Banned
1. Mass Effect 2
2. Fallout: New Vegas
3. Dead Rising 2
4. Mafia 2
5. Metro 2033
6. Just Cause 2
7. Heavy Rain
8. Battlefield: Bad Company 2
9. S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat
10. Halo: Reach

x. Minecraft ; Oddly, while I think this is the best game this year, I somehow don't feel right putting it at number one. And putting it lower than number one feels like I'm not giving the game proper value. Weird, I know.

Helmholtz

1. Super Meat Boy
2. Red Dead Redemption
3. Minecraft
4. Limbo
5. Mass Effect 2
6. Amnesia: The Dark Descent
7. Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty
8. Civilization V

Super Meat Boy - The best platformer I've ever played. It undoubtedly has some of the tightest controls I've ever experienced before. The level design is top notch; this is particularly apparent when doing speed runs and realizing how much effort was put into certain timing aspects of the levels as well as their layouts. The game is absolutely difficult, but never do your failures feel unfair. Dying in this game is not so much a pain as it is a learning experience; the more you do it the better you get. A remarkably brilliant game and certainly one of, if not the, best in its genre.
Red Dead Redemption - Amazing setting and atmosphere that completely captures the western genre which is no small feat. Stellar cast of characters and a great story.
Minecraft - A truly unique experience the likes of which I've never experienced before in a game. One of the greatest time sinks ever created.
Limbo - Very beautifully done platformer. I'm a sucker for puzzle games ever since Braid.
Mass Effect 2 - A very solid game. It is far from perfect, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the ride.
Amnesia: The Dark Descent - Easily one of the best horror games I've ever played. Amazing atmosphere. These devs really understand how to scare the shit out of you.
Starcraft 2 - The campaign didn't do much for me, but the multiplayer is fantastic and a much needed upgrade from Brood War. I think it's something special when I enjoy watching people play the game as much as, if not more than, I enjoy playing it.
Civilization V - My first experience with a Civilization game. I feel like I haven't played enough of it yet, but from the 20-odd hours that I have played I can say that the game is incredibly addicting. The turn-based nature of it takes getting used to, and at time I find it a little boring, but overall it's a very good game.

1. Super Meat Boy
2. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
3. Bioshock 2
4. Sam and Max: The Devil's Playhouse
5. VVVVVV
6. Super Mario Galaxy 2
7. Minecraft
8. Shatter (PC)
9. Dead Nation
10. Toki Tori (PC)
x. The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom
x. Puzzle Quest 2

I'm waiting for major price drops on most of this years big games. Still, downloadable games ftw!

Having read through the list of games, I've realised that there's a few games I should really try to play before voting. Still, I have until January 9th.

On the whole though, not been overly impressed by this year.

1. God of War 3
2. Starcraft 2
3. Halo Reach
4. Gran Turismo 5
5. Alan Wake
6. Mass Effect 2
7. MAG
8. Dead Nation
9. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
10. Call of Duty Black Ops

Mully

1. Halo Reach
2. Battlefield: Bad Company 2
3. Red Dead Redemption
4. Heavy Rain
5. Assassin's Cread: Brotherhood
6. Call of Duty: Black Ops

I feel so bad that I wasn't able to play some of the other great games that came out this year.

A Link to the Snitch said:

As Anihawk said in that thread, Mother 3 was "a one-time thing." It was basically a special case because it was finally in english, even if it wasn't truly released in a new territory.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
1. Super Mario Galaxy 2 ;
2. Sonic Colors ;
3. Donkey Kong Country Returns ;
4. Ivy the Kiwi? ;
5. Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth ;
6. Epic Mickey ;
7. Picross 3D ;
8. Sonic & Sega Allstars Racing ;
9. Golden Sun: Dark Dawn ;
10. Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver ;

Xater

1. Red Dead Redemption
2. Vanquish
3. Super Meat Boy
4. God of War 3
5. Darksiders
6. Gran Turismo 5
7. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
8. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX
9. Heavy Rain
10. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood

ijm72

1. Mass Effect 2
2. Red Dead Redemption
3. Halo: Reach
4. Fifa 11
5. Call of Duty: Black Ops
6. MLB 10: The Show
7. God of War 3
8. Alan Wake
9. Game Dev Story

1. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker ; My second favorite game in the Metal Gear series, under Snake Eater. The story in this game captivated me in a way that few games ever have. Playing through this game was the most fun I had all year, and then some.
2. Super Mario Galaxy 2 ; Sheer flawless gameplay design with a pool of ideas even bigger than the first game. Remarkable.
3. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty ; Hours of entertainment both playing and spectating. This game will be with me for years to come.
4. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX ; I could go on for hours about how brilliant every aspect of this game is. Who knew Pac-man could excel in 2010?
5. Bit.Trip Runner ; The best game by far in a series of extremely creative musical games. Commander Video is my new favorite video game character.

Worst game of the year: Metroid: Other M. That game is such a bummer, I can't believe it exists.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
For Sonic Colours: You don't differentiate DS and Wii edition here? Why?

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2 ; Despite being a direct sequel, the game is overflowing with creativity. Seemingly every level introduces a new play mechanic of some sort.
2. Bayonetta ; Bayonetta is one of the best action games of all time. It's better than Devil May Cry, it's better than Ninja Gaiden, and it's better than God of War. Best of all, it's completely over-the-top in every way and never takes itself too seriously.
3. Donkey Kong Country Returns ; It doesn't rise to the greatness that NSMBW did last year, but there's nothing wrong with being the second best 2D platformer of the past 15 years.
4. Super Street Fighter 4 ; I still prefer Third Strike, but SSF4 stands as the best fighting game of the past decade. I think a lot of people are going to overlook this game for obvious reasons. I think it deserves recognition.
5. Monster Hunter 3 ; It's pretty rare to see a high profile Wii exclusive from a third party company. I only wish more companies would show the same effort.
6. Dragon Quest 9 ; I like whimsical adventures, and it's nice to see that there is still a place for lighthearted RPGs.
7. Sin and Punishment 2 ; Non-stop action at a rock solid 60 frames-per-second. What more could you ask for? When it comes to pure action, it's pretty hard to top Sin and Punishment 2. It's arguably Treasure's best game ever. The game is yet another example that proves the Wii's control scheme can be beneficial for "hardcore" games.
8. Tatsunoku vs. Capcom ; This game deserves a lot more credit than it gets. It's one of the best games in the Vs. series. I think a lot of people ignore the game because it featuers so many characters that they don't recognize. This actually makes the game more interesting to me.
9. No More Heroes 2 ; This game featured some of the most memorable moments of the year for me. It actually made me laugh out loud on multiple occasions. I really loved the new 8-bit mini-games, and the soundtrack was second only to SMG2 as the best of the year.
10. Kirby's Epic Yarn ; Epic Yarn is the best-looking game of the year by a considerable margin. I can't think of another game this year that implemented the visuals and gameplay together so seamlessly. I always love when a game's art style and the gameplay work together.

DiddyBop

1. Red Dead Redemption
2. Bayonetta
3. Alpha Protocol
4. 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors
5. NBA 2K11
6. God of War 3
7. Deadly Premonition

Hanmik

1. Gran Turismo 5
2. Final Fantasy 13
3. Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse
4. God of War 3
5. Heavy Rain
6. Super Mario Galaxy 2
7. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
8. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
9. Sports Champions
10 . Red Dead Redemption

Dilli666

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
2. Mass Effect 2
3. Civilization 5
4. Fallout: New Vegas
5. Just Cause 2
6. Lego Harry Potter: Years 1–4
7. Red Dead Redemption
8. Heavy Rain
9. Battlefield: Bad Company 2
10. God of War 3

1. God of War 3
2. Gran Turismo 5
3. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
4. Red Dead Redemption
5. Call of Duty: Black Ops
6. Heavy Rain

I think those are all the games I played this year

GhaleonQ

Whoa. If I only consider my top 10 games, the PSP was my system of the year.

These lists are a lot less boring than last year's. I wouldn't suggest that people lie about their tastes, but some years suggested that people all have the same preferences and/or are trying to stultify me. Good job, NeoGAF!

1, Mass Effect 2; Better than the original in most ways, strangely worse in others, still the best game I played this year.

2. Fallout New Vegas;
Fallout 3 with a personality, if F3 was Oblivion with guns, then this is Morrowind with guns.

3. Limbo; Stylish, atmospheric and brutal, the game on my list I spent the least time with, but the one I'll remember most.

4. Dead Rising 2; Improves nearly everything from the first game without losing what made it great.

5. Super Meat Boy; Platforming at it's purest, tightest, and most fun, plus the music is rad.

6. Red Dead Redemption;
GTA in the west. But with (mostly) well designed missions and a story and characters worth giving a shit about. A well told tale of changing times and the lengths a man will go for his family.

7. Costume Quest;
Great art, great imagination, great fun. <3 Doublefine

8. Metro 2033;
Typically eastern european, being both beautiful and atmospheric, yet broken and frustrating.

9. Mafia 2; A lovingly crafted world and characters, slightly let down by some strange story pacing and uneven mission design.

10. Alan Wake;
The Twin Peaks/Max Payne fanboy in me helped me enjoy this despite it's numerous flaws.

x. Civilization 5;
Improves on the Civ formula in just about every way, except for the BROKEN Diplomatic AI, fix this shit and it would be top of my list.

x. Heavy Rain;
Loved the gameplay and it systems, was less impressed by the voice acting and moronic, totally unbelievable story twist.

jarosh

1. Donkey Kong Country Returns
2. Limbo
3. Mega Man 10
4. Assassin's Creed 2 ; this is the pc version, which came out this year in march, but is not on the nominations list
5. Mass Effect 2
6. Super Mario Galaxy 2
7. WarioWare D.I.Y.
8. Picross 3D
9. Red Steel 2
10. Super Scribblenauts

note:
i noticed Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands is listed as one title. but 4 distinct, fairly different games were released under this name. 1) 360/PS3/PC, 2) Wii, 3) DS, 4) PSP. they all differ in storyline, setting, mechanics, level design and even genre. the wii and hd versions specifically share very little in common. so listing them all as a single game is wrong. people who name the wii game as their goty might not have liked the 360 one and vice versa etc.

1. Amnesia: The Dark Descent
2. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty
3. Minecraft
5. Bejeweled 3

Honorable mentions
X. Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days ; Great art but not a lot more to it.
X. Super Meat Boy ; Frustrated me one too many times, the buggy launch didn't help.
X. Blur ; Fun game but the multiplayer didn't take off as much as it needed.

I would have played Red Dead Redemption and Limbo if they were available on other platforms. But they're not. Perhaps 2011 GOTY for PC or Wii versions respectively. Bejeweled was the hardest choice, I feel. It is probably the same sort of stuff as Bejeweled 1 and 2 but I never played those so I'm just going to give it the benefit of the doubt because it is so effortlessly awesome. Here's hoping the Steam sale doesn't force me to change my list in the next week or so.

Cheers to the people who make this thread happen, what are you parsing it with?
Tricky I Shadow said:
Mass Effect 2 is getting waaaaay too much love.
I watched my housemate finish it and he was like "is that it?"

vulva

1. Bayonetta ; Refreshingly fun action game
2. Super Street Fighter 4 ; Easily my most played game and just the most replay value I've gotten from a game in a long time.
3. No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle ; I just had a total blast the whole way through. I can never get enough NMH
4. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game ; Fun game, more importantly for me was that it was the first game my brother and I have played together in years.
5. Sin & Punishment 2: Star Successor ; If you haven't played it, you won't understand but this game was just perfect fun for me.
6. Mega Man 10 ; It's a Mega Man game. I will always have fun with mainline mega man titles. MM2 was my first game ever, so I was pretty much raised on them. This game's kind of average, but still fun.
7. BlazBlue: Continuum Shift ; I'm awful at it, but it's really fun with friends over.
8. Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars ; See above.
9. Deathsmiles ; I love shooters, but I'm not crazy about underage girls nor am I about horizontal shooters. Still very fun though.
10. Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver ; 10th game I played this year

Hammer24

Banned
1. Alan Wake
2. Two Worlds 2
3. Mass Effect 2
5. Kinect Sports
6. Dance Central
7. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction
8. Call of Duty: Black Ops
9. BioShock 2