• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2010 - Voting Thread - VOTING CONCLUDED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't played that many 2010 games, still working on a back log, but anyway: -

1. Mass Effect 2
2. Final Fantasy 13
3. Gran Turismo 5
4. Angry Birds
5. Blur
6. Sports Champions
7. 3D Dot Game Heroes

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
2. Battlefield: Bad Company 2
3. Call of Duty: Black Ops
4. Super Meat Boy
5. Halo: Reach
6. Limbo
7. Cut the Rope
8. Bayonetta
9. Game Dev Story
10. Super Street Fighter 4

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
1. Gran Turismo 5
2. PES Wii 2011
3. Sports Champions (Table Tennis only lacked online to be my GOTY)

otmane

1. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker ;Great story, great music ("Heaven's divide"), awesome gameplay ideas (Co-op / strategy)
2. Super Mario Galaxy 2 ; The following to my GOTF only better...
3. Rock Band 3 ; the perfect music game, harmony between fun and really learning the instruments
4. God of War 3 ; So epic...
The brutal ending really surprised me!
5. Heavy Rain ; flawed game, but pushes the story telling in Videogames to a whole new level
6. Bit.Trip Runner ; the perfect mix of music and rythm game and the instant reset makes the old school difficulty non-frustrating
7. Limbo ; neat experience, I loved the style.
8. Super Meat Boy ; old school platformer, like Bit trip Runner, the instant reset makes the old school difficulty non-frustrating
9. No More Heroes 2 ; Desperate Struggle ; The boss fights are soooo over the top!
10. Game Dev Story ; I never tought I could spend so many straight hours with an iphone game!

XX. Dance Central : HMX does to dancing what they already did to Music games, I suck at it though :lol
XX. Carcassonne : Asynchronous online is so perfect for the iphone
XX. Cut the Rope: perfect game for work meetings :D

I still haven't played enough of Red Dead, AC: Brotherhood, Castelvania: LoS or DKC returns but they could have been in my top if I did...

1. Bayonetta
2. Vanquish
3. Nier
4. Red Dead Redemption
5. Resonance Of Fate
6. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
7. Yakuza 3
8. Deadly Premonition
9. God Of War 3
10. Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep

Larsen B

1. Alan Wake
2. Yakuza 3
3. BioShock 2
4. Ys Seven
5. Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
6. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
7. Costume Quest
8. Dragon Quest 9: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
9. Patchwork Heroes
10. Valkyria Chronicles 2

1. Gran Turismo 5
2. Red Dead Redemption
3. God of War: Ghost of Sparta
4. God of War 3
5. Joe Danger
6. Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare ;(does this count as a separate game from RDR?)
7. Bioshock 2 ; I enjoyed the gameplay a lot, MP was surprisingly fun, just the story seemed uninspired.

BowieZ

Banned
The writing's on the wall for the Top 3, but finding out in which order they settle, and which two other games fill out the illustrious :)D) Top 5 is an exciting prospect!

Joe White

1. Halo: Reach
2. Alan Wake
3. Mass Effect 2
4. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
5. Darksiders
6. Bayonetta
7. Super Meat Boy
8. Demon's Souls (PAL)
9. Civilization 5
10. Dead Nation

1. Bayonetta
2. Red Dead Redemption
3. Mass Effect 2
4. Super Meat Boy
5. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
6. Super Street Fighter 4
7. Darksiders
8. Alan Wake
9. Pinball FX 2
10. Limbo

Pydte

1. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories (PAL) ; Climax's reinvention pushed the boundaries of interactive storytelling while staying true to the principles of the series.

2. Super Meat Boy ; Platforming in its purest form. Not since the original Super Mario Bros. trilogy have I felt such a joy playing a two-dimensional platformer.

3. Bayonetta ; The omnipotency experienced by mastering the combat system was simply incredible. In Bayonetta, the genre has a new queen, or should I say mistress.

4. Super Mario Galaxy 2 ; Albeit feeling a bit unfocused at times, there's no denying that the second galaxy installment oozes quality and creativity like no other.

5. Monday Night Combat ; Team Fortress 2, DotA and Tower Defence combined makes MNC my favourite team-based multiplayer game of the year.

6. Amnesia: The Dark Descent ; Frictional took psychological survival-horror to a whole new level of scariness. Never have I been this terrified playing a game.

7. Donkey Kong Country Returns ; While DKC didn't do much to forward the genre, it was a wonderful trip down nostalgia road. Retro delivered again!

8. Lara Croft and The Guardian of Light ; A very focused and intense action-platformer that hit high notes in both single-player and co-op. A shame bad marketing ruined its commercial potential.

9. Bioshock 2 ; It may lack the narrative fidelity of the original, but its gameplay enhancements paved way for another exciting trip to Rapture. Also, the MP was vastly better than expected.

10. Minecraft ; With Minecraft, Notch managed to create a rather addictive experience unlike no other in the industry. Damn those creepers, though.

x. Deadly Premonition ; Despite its abysmal game design, Deadly Premonition was a strangely compelling and ambitious game topped with a great Lynchian story.

x. Limbo ; Probably had the most distinct visual direction of the year, however its trial-and-error based gameplay hindered an oherwise great experience.

x. DeathSpank ; Gilbert delivered the jokes and a wondrous universe. Too bad about the trivial core mechanics and derivative quest design.

Dynoro

1. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty
2. Mass Effect 2
3. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
4. Just Cause 2
5. Civilization 5
6. Fable 3
7. Game Dev Story
8. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War 2 – Chaos Rising
9. Fruit Ninja
10. Dance Central

Honorable Mentions
X. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm - Too early to tell really; but would be 2 or 3 at this rate

Ledsen

1. Bayonetta
2. Red Dead Redemption
3. Super Street Fighter 4
4. Metro 2033
5. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
6. Mass Effect 2
7. Darksiders
8. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
9. Super Mario Galaxy 2

Roxas

1. Red Dead Redemption - Simply the best game of this generation for me. Huge open world with some interesting locations, great characters. Fantastic cast, story with a great ending. Multiplayer was such fun that im still playing it to this day. My only 10/10 game in the past 10 years.

2. Assassins Creed Brotherhood - Great sequel, loved exploring Rome with Ezio once again, interesting story although goes a little weird in places, the Ezio story is great, Desmond stuff...not so much. Multiplayer was fun and unique.

3. Heavy Rain - Very interesting game, good story, felt like a movie and was a game both myself and my girlfriend enjoyed very much. Just loved the whole "interactiveness" of it all

4. Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep - Liked the fact i could just pick my PSP up, kick some ass for a bit, put it back down. Story was interesting seeing it from the perspective of 3 different characters.

5. Final Fantasy 13 - Not the best Final Fantasy by any means but still good. Gorgeous graphics and great soundtrack as usual. If the game began at Chapter 12, this would probably be higher up the list.

6. Game Dev Story - I think ive put around 75 hours into this game already. So addicting. So simple to play too. Cant put it down until you get that 40/40...

7. VVVVVV - Retro awesomeness, old school graphics and (amazing) soundtrack. great platformer, and a real challenge collecting all them relics. Just wish it was a little longer

8. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX - Classic remake, lots of fun, bright colourful, loud. perfect gameplay.

9. Darksiders - Zelda with balls crossed with Devil May Cry. This game came out of nowhere for me, i picked it up cheap in a sale one day and was really surprised. Glad they are doing a sequel.

10. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - Love squad based games, and BC2 is everything i am looking for in a FPS. Some of the most online fun ive had whilst gaming.

1. Donkey Kong Country Returns ; I always knew that Retro had the chops for a fantastic platformer. This one knocked it out of the park, constantly engaging and incredibly focused level design (it really speaks volumes that they manage to make such an engaging game without having to utilise a new gimmick in each level). It combines the best elements of DKC and DKJB to make something all of its own and it's rock hard too :D

2. Super Mario Galaxy 2 ; I was tempted to make this No1, it really was a toss up between this and DKCR but I couldn't give it No1 purely on the basis that it was a "more of the same" sequel - though in the case of Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 (which constantly reinvents itself in each level) that's not exactly much of a crutch! Level design is nothing short of amazing and (like DKCR) it's rock hard in the later stages! One of the greatest games ever made without a doubt

3. Monster Hunter 3 Tri ; I had never played a Monster Hunter game before and had no interest in the series. A friend got me to try it out and I was hooked immediately. Incredibly visceral, engaging and challenging, there's nothing quite like that feeling of finally taking down that monster that kept kicking your arse :D (especially online!)

4. Bayonetta ; Take Devil May Cry and Viewtiful Joe. Stick them in a blender, add some new spice and you get Bayonetta. Nothing short of the reinvention of the action game genre and an essential game. The sheer fluidity of your actions are astounding and its just simply a joy to play.

5. Metroid Other M ; People wanted Super Metroid 2, instead we got a Metroid Fusion prequel. That's exactly what I thought the game was going to be and I loved it! The backlash is completely undeserved. The game stands tall as a completely original experience that completely succeeds at what the developers set out to do (even if it isn't what gaffers and some Metroid fans were hoping for), with fabulous level design that is streamlined and yet packed with hidden items and secret passages. It's the Super Paper Mario of the series in every respect (and yes, I love Super Paper Mario :D)

6. God of War 3 ; So engrossing that I finished the game in a single sitting! The game may be somewhat lighter on its puzzles than God of War 1 but it makes up for it with the constant variety of foes that challenge you to battle in completely different ways from before. An almost perfect conclusion to a fantastic trilogy (only let down by a somewhat underwhelming final battle)

7. Cave Story ; Absolutely shocked and stunned that the original game was only made by one guy! The game is so absolutely jam packed with wonderful little details that I seem to learn something new about the game each time I play it. Amazing level design, charming and endearing characters and wonderful music. This game truly has it all. (shame that Europe had to wait so long for it!)

8. Sin & Punishment 2 Star Successor ; When I first played Sin & Punishment for the 1st time when it came out on the VC, my first thought was how this game seemed talour made for Wiimote/Nunchuck controls. My instincts were right on the money! While the game feels quite different from the N64 original (free flight changes everything) its just as addictive as the original, if not more so! Nothing short of astounding and possibly Treasure's best game (it's definitely their best sequel!)

9. Trauma Team ; Sadly forgotten by most people, it's an amazing title that offers both depth and variety in all respects. They set out to reinvent the Trauma Center series and succeeded spectacularly! I loved all of the different types of gameplay (hint, play them in story order like you're supposed to, don't just play one game type all the way to the end on its own. Enjoy the variety!)

10. Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver ; This is a fantastic remake of the best game in the series (and if it wasn't a remake, it would score much higher. But I can't put it higher simply because it's a remake). It's everything I was hoping it would be and I'm still wearing my Pokewalker :D

Honourable Mentions - in no particular order

x. Super Meat Boy ; This is N+ done right. It takes the wonderful platforming gameplay of N+ and constantly gives it new gimmicks in each level with some amazing level design. The epitome of "just one more level..."

x. Kirby's Epic Yarn ; Shafted simply because of Pokemon HG/SS. While it's easy to blast your way through, the real challenge is in getting to the end without getting hit. Constantly inventive and creative, this game proves that Good Feel have the chops for good level design (a relief, after the disappointing Wario Land Shake It). Play it in co-op like the game intended!

x. Wario Ware D.I.Y ; I never thought that I could make a game, this game proved me wrong! It's Mario Paint 2 in almost all respects and just as addictive :D

x. Picross 3D ; Another forgotten gem, hilariously addictive and original. 100 hours odd later and I'm still loving it :D

x. Ace Attorney Investigations ; Another victim of GAF backlash that doesn't deserve it. It's just as good as the main series games. While it perhaps doesn't go as far with the concept of being on the opposite end as a Prosecutor as it could have, it makes up for it with its engaging and charming characters as well as its ridiculous plotline. Another essential entry in an essential series :D

x. Dragon Quest 9 ; Read my comments for Monster Hunter 3 Tri and this game follows them to a tee! The only exception is that I actually have played a DQ game before (DQ 4 DS) and have been very interested in the series before. The difference here is that I was let down by DQ 4 and just couldn't get into it. This game finally got me into a world that I always wanted to enjoy! Oh and the grottos have me hopelessly addicted in the same way that Pokemon Mystery Dungeon stole my soul :D

x. Shantae: Risky's Revenge ; Never played the original Shantae on GBC (still want to, and will once it inevitably comes out on the 3DS VC :D). It really does feel like a long lost GBA classic and satisfies in the same way as Wario Land 4 (strangely enough!). Amazing sprite based action that feels just right to play, with just the right blend of metroidvania elements that add some spice, without bogging down the action gameplay focus. An essential game and one of the DS' very best :D

x. X-Scape ; Of all the Nintendo games that I thought could never possibly get a sequel, X was number 1 on that list. Fabulous game, very atmospheric, challenging and engaging in that same bitesized way that Starfox Command was for me. Strange level design with a hybrid of Starfox landmaster shooting gameplay and light puzzle solving in that wonderful gonzo way that Nintendo excel at :D

x. Pacman Championship Edition DX ; It's Pacman CE made even more extreeeemmmeee. While it loses the sense of survival aspect from the original Pacman CE, as well as its freeflowing level design, it makes up for it with an even greater focus on high scores and a focus on achieving that perfect run through your route that you worked out yourself.

Notes

I haven't played Golden Sun Dark Dawn yet, so this may get added to my list.

Hixx

1. Mass Effect 2 ; I've completed this 3 times this year and half way through a 4th run, a truly great game.

2. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm ; already put FAR too much time into this and not even 2 weeks old!

3. Red Dead Redemption ; great story, good gameplay and an absolutely amazing game world. Some of the vistas in Mexico were genuinely stunning.

4. God of War 3 ; the visuals, the fluidity... the anger! It's not the most sophisticated of games but that doesn't matter when it's so fun.

5. Halo: Reach ; easily the best Halo since the original. No flood, challenging and some surprising gameplay twists. Could've used more maps at launch in MP but what was there was good.

6. Alan Wake ; there are a lot of poor things in Alan Wake, but when it's good it's bloody good. Some of the set pieces are fantastic.

7. Enslaved: Odyssey to the West ; criminally underappreciated game. Has tons of technical problems and while the combat isn't exactly stellar the exploration, the characters, the world all brilliantly realised.

8. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood ; kind of amazed they put this out in a year. So much game in here and still improved over AC2. OK the main storyline isn't as long but there's so much to do apart from that and the extra stuff is actually fun to do - even them multiplayer is a lot of fun.

9. Heavy Rain ; just a great experience. I felt a bit miffed at the ending but what came before was very interesting. If they decide to build on it I will be very, very excited to see what they do next.

10. Fable 3 ; really debated over whether to put this. It was unacceptably buggy but past that a very entertaining game. Most certainly dumbed down but when it wasn't chugging along at 10fps, when I forgot that Jasper should be speaking to me, when I wasn't getting locked in rooms completely stuck I was having a lot of fun.

x. Super Meat Boy ; loved this to bits, amazing value but just not as memorable as the above games for me.
x. Call of Duty: Black Ops ; multiplayer the best since CoD4 and a pretty fun single player (at least the latter half of it) but it's 'just another CoD' unfortunately.
x. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction ; lots more combat but still very Splinter Cell as well. There are a lot of 'you MUST fight your way out of here' parts but still a good chunk of stealth too.

roxya

1. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty ; Single player was kinda good. Multiplayer... I don't play it, but I REALLY want to. I love watching the tournaments. This game provided more entertainment than any other this year and so it gets my GOTY.

2. God of War 3 ; I guess the overall story wasn't great. Even though you were fighting gods, it felt less epic than God of War 2. But the gameplay and graphics are better than ever.

3. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker ; I played the whole game co-op and loved every minute. Seemed like more of a Metal Gear Solid than MGS4 was, with the crazy equipment like the cardboard tank.

4. MAG ; I used to be a serious Quake 2 player, so it is rare for me to enjoy multiplayer console FPS games. MAG did something that felt different and it was great. Although I eventually got annoyed at Zipper's inability to balance the weapons and quit, the time I had with it was amazing.

5. Heavy Rain ; I liked the story, loved the atmosphere. I want more.

6. Mass Effect 2 ; Story was lame, but they nailed the "feel" of a futuristic sci-fi world. FemShep is a really good lead character.

7. Final Fantasy 13 ; I probably would've liked it more if some other developer made it, but I expected more from SE. I still enjoyed it a lot, but the combat system was all flash and little substance.

8. Gran Turismo 5 ; Should've been my GOTY. Not enough events, new features aren't used enough, standard cars. But the driving is great.

9. Dante's Inferno ; Inferior in every way to God of War, but I thought it was quite good. The combat system was fairly fluid and felt good. The art direction, the depiction of the 9 circles of hell was amazing.

10. Darksiders ; Clunky, awkward combat. Everything else was great. Can't wait for the sequel.

Goldmund

1. Metro 2033
2. Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
3. Bayonetta
4. Super Meat Boy
5. Nier
6. BioShock 2
7. Super Mario Galaxy 2
8. Final Fantasy XIII
9. Deadly Premonition
10. StarCraft 2

Visualante said:
Cheers to the people who make this thread happen, what are you parsing it with?

I'm using a program I wrote from scratch.

Nuclear Muffin said:
Also, I would've included Shantae Risky's Revenge and Xscape into my honourable mentions if it were note for the fact that they weren't nominated (seriously, what the hell?! - Are there even any DSiWare games not called Cave Story even on this list?!)

Edit: No there aren't, ok this is bollocks. Whoever was responsible for these nominations has clearly forgotten that DSiWare exists. This should really be fixed...

timetokill said:
Games will be added to the list as they are nominated, so go ahead and vote for it even if you don't see your game in the list.

Woutst

1. Bayonetta
2. Vanquish
3. Starcraft 2
4. Football Manager 2011
5. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
6. Valkyria Chronicles 2
7. Mass Effect 2
8. Alan Wake
9. Red Dead Redemption
10. Civilisation V

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
2. Final Fantasy 11 - Scars of Abyssea
3. Call of Duty: Black Ops
4. Metroid: Other M
5. Battlefield: Bad Company 2
6. Minecraft
7. Dead Rising 2
8. Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver
9. Final Fantasy 13
10. Donkey Kong Country Returns

Otacon

1. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
2. Alan Wake
3. Super Mario Galaxy 2
4. Mass Effect 2
5. Nier
6. Darksiders
7. Bioshock 2
8. Monster Hunter 3: Tri
9. Deadly Premonition
10. Heavy Rain

1. Red Dead Redemption: Everything what GTA IV must have been, and much more. Not just a western skin, the birth of a true gaming legend.
2. StarCraft 2 : the game that made me enjoy RTS for the first time in ten years.
3. NFS: Hot Pursuit - Old schoold, arcade racing, done right. Rewarding, immensely fun, intense and efficient. Criterion nailed it and delivered, again.
4. God of War 3 - The epitome of the God of War experience. A game more brutal than hell and deadly gorgeous.
5. BF Bad Company 2 - The best online FPS experience of the year. Great post lunch support.
6. Just Cause 2 - Open world done right. Game design at it's best.
7. Yakuza 3 - Amazing experience, once again, more fun, more over the top.
8. Heavy Rain - such an amazing vision and yet, with it's flaws, what an outstanding experience.
9. GTA: Episodes from Liberty City - The GTA IV experience, done RIGHT.
10. Scott Pilgrim vs. The World the game - Old school beat them up with crazy gaming references and tight gameplay. Amazing.

Honorable mention: CoD: Black Ops - single player is a letdown, but the cold war and black ops setting worked perfectly for me. Also, MP was enjoyable. Too bad the CoD feels so cheap and recycled year after year.

Olorin

1. Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes ; Fantastic mix of strategy and puzzle elements, wrapped up in a nice little story.
2. Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver ; Pokemon at its best. I still carry my pokewalker around wherever I go.
3. Tomena Sanner ; Silly multiplayer fun for only $5.
4. Aura-Aura Climber ; Starts slow but really opens up after a few levels. great value.
5. Spotto! ; Simple but charming and fun.
6. Photo Dojo ; The fighting system isn't very good, but making the characters is hilarious.
7. Pop Island: Paperfield ; Frantic fun for up to 8 players at only $2, what a steal.
8. HoopWorld ; a poor man's NBA Jam that's surprisingly fun.

Looks like I've only played 2 retail games from 2010...

UnluckyKate said:
1. Red Dead Redemption: Everything what GTA IV must have been, and much more. Not just a western skin, the birth of a true gaming legend.
2. StarCraft 2 : the game that made me enjoy RTS for the first time in ten years.
3. NFS: Hot Pursuit - Old schoold, arcade racing, done right. Rewarding, immensely fun, intense and efficient. Criterion nailed it and delivered, again.
4. God of War 3 - The epitome of the God of War experience. A game more brutal than hell and deadly gorgeous.
5. BF Bad Company 2 - The best online FPS experience of the year. Great post lunch support.
6. Just Cause 2 - Open world done right. Game design at it's best.
7. Yakuza 3 - Amazing experience, once again, more fun, more over the top.
8. Heavy Rain - such an amazing vision and yet, with it's flaws, what an outstanding experience.
9. GTA: Episodes from Liberty City - The GTA IV experience, done RIGHT.
10. Scott Pilgrim vs. The World the game - Old school beat them up with crazy gaming references and tight gameplay. Amazing.

Honorable mention: CoD: Black Ops - single player is a letdown, but the cold war and black ops setting worked perfectly for me. Also, MP was enjoyable. Too bad the CoD feels so cheap and recycled year after year.

Please read the OP, folks. Really read it. The format is to separate comments from titles with semicolons.

Roarer

1. Heavy Rain ; To me, this was the most intense gaming experience of 2010. The threat of permanently killing all of the main characters kept me on the edge throughout the whole game, and made me feel like I was in control of the these people's lives. Every button press felt like it had a consequence. I loved the removal of fail states and the focus on crafting your own story. The narrative was extremely well paced and had some very nice set pieces.
2. Vanquish ; The polar opposite of my GOTY, Heavy Rain. Vanquish is all about gameplay and is best experienced if you ignore all the dialog. I played it on Hard my first time through and I think that made me enjoy it soo much more. Strikes a nice balance between making you feel like a superpowered badass and kicking your ass over and over at the same time.
3. Mass Effect 2 ; Could easily have been my number one this year. While the main story arc was pretty dull, a cast of memorable characters and fantastic side missions more than weighs up for it.
4. Read Dead Redemption ; Best ending in a video game ever. Incredible atmosphere and such an interesting world to explore - too bad missions were a bit repetitive and samey.
5. Limbo ; A gamer's game, ballsy in its style and presentation and deserves every piece of accolade it can get for doing what no other commercial game does - being different.
6. Fallout: New Vegas ; Screw the bugs, this game is awesome. Doesn't have the same sense of dread and desolation as Fallout 3, but a pretty boring opener aside it improves over it's predecessor in every single way.
7. Rock Band 3 ; A year of buggy console games for sure, Rock Band 3 is marred by some game crashing bugs, a few issues with note highways and other things that drag down the experience. This does not stop it from being an excellent game, with the addition of keyboard and pro-drums basically changing the whole game. Party play has been improved immensely as well, and with a few patches to get rid of bugs and fix some of the annoyance, this will be the ultimate rhythm game.
8. Demon's Souls ; EU RELEASE. Hardcore RPGS usually aren't my thing, but something clicked with this one. As with Heavy Rain, the threat of dying and the strong penalties it incurs made every encounter that more tense and emotional. I remeber having a true "ooh SHIT!" moment the first time I encountered a dragon and had to run for my life.
9. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light ; Old skool isometric platforming and puzzling with some nice shooting action? Yes please. Took some of those scripted and static "escape from a crumbling ruin" moments of Uncharted and made them dynamic and intense. Love it.
10. Alan Wake ; Immersive, ambitious and moody. Hope it gets a sequel as I see a lot of unrealized potential in this one.

Requeim

1. Demon's Souls (PAL)
2. Nier
3. Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver

I am lacking so much behind in 2010 games, but both Uncharted 2 and Demon's Souls are worthy game of the year winners. And since Uncharted took it last year, Demon's Souls should have it.

TChirath

Neo Member
1. Mass Effect 2
2. Red Dead Redemption
3. Fallout: New Vegas
4. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
5. Super Mario Galaxy 2
6. Alpha Protocol
7. Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth
8. Dragon Quest 9: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
9. BioShock 2
10. Heavy Rain

-viper-

Banned
1. Gran Turismo 5
2. God Of War 3
3. Heavy Rain
4. Black Ops
5. Darksiders
6. Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition
7. God Of War Ghost Of Sparta
8. Halo Reach

Cheesemeister said:
I'm using a program I wrote from scratch.
Sweet, I had an intro to yacc and lexx as like a precursor to compilers. Scared the shit out of me but I'd like to understand it more when I get some time.

d1rtn4p

1. Red Dead Redemption
2. Mass Effect 2
3. Just Cause 2
4. Fallout: New Vegas
5. Alan Wake
6. Costume Quest
7. Super Mario Galaxy 2
8. Donkey Kong Country Returns
9. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
10. Secret of Monkey Island 2: SE ; Technically a re-release of a 1992 game, but meh, the SE warrants it's own entry :)

Visualante said:
Sweet, I had an intro to yacc and lexx as like a precursor to compilers. Scared the shit out of me but I'd like to understand it more when I get some time.

Looking through the posts in this thread, you can probably imagine the parsing issues I'm going to have to deal with.

Pepto

Banned
1. Mass Effect 2
2. Super Street Fighter 4
3. Just Cause 2
4. S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat
5. Picross 3D
6. Professor Layton & the Unwound Future
7. Fallout: New Vegas
8. Civilization 5
9. Super Meat Boy
10. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX

phaelf

1. God of War 3
2. Heavy Rain
3. Mafia 2
4. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm
5. Final Fantasy 13
6. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty
7. Darksiders
8. Civilization 5
9. Rock Band 3
10. Medal of Honor

Darkman M

1. Red Dead Redemption
2. Mass Effect 2
3. Super Street Fighter 4
4. Bayonetta
5. Assassin's Creed II
6. Halo Reach
7. Fallout New Vegas
8. Yakuza 3
9. God of War III
10. Super Mario Galaxy

Haeleos

1. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
2. Super Meat Boy
3. Demon's Souls (PAL)
4. Super Street Fighter 4
5. Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead
6. Mass Effect 2
7. Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
8. Red Dead Redemption
9. Pac-man Championship Edition DX
10. Magic The Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers

Arnie

1. Halo: Reach ; Best Halo since CE and one of the best singleplayer experiences I've ever had, truly deserves to be played by everyone, even Halo skeptics. Beautiful, varied, sandbox environments with genre topping AI and great combat, one of the all time greatest first person shooters. Multiplayer wasn't as good as previous games but still enjoyable enough to stop me playing pretty much anything else, even to this day.

2. Mass Effect 2 ; I'm a huge Bioware fan because of KOTOR which got me enjoying RPGs so I'll say that I'm probably biased towards the Bioware school of design. However, I though the original Mass Effect was a flawed gem. Mass Effect 2 on the other hand was near enough the perfect RPG for me. I bought it, couldn't put it down and completed it within a couple of days. I genuinely loved the world and felt real emotion towards my characters to the extent of feeling genuine sadness when a couple of my favourites died in the finale and it dawned on me that they wouldn't be around for number three.

3. Red Dead Redemption ; Stunning world, characters and story. The ending is one of the best I've ever experienced in a video game and is perhaps one of the only ones to truly fulfill the final stages of the narrative arc. Most games, due to the rise in difficulty as the game progresses never establish a new equilibrium in a games final act, Red Dead Redemption navigates this issue exquisitely.

demon arm

1. Alpha Protocol
2. Nier
3. Bayonetta
4. Dead Rising 2
5. Amnesia: The Dark Descent
6. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
7. Monster Hunter Tri
8. VVVVVV
9. Super Meat Boy
10. Halo: Reach

X. Vanquish ; Unfortunately, I haven't been able to play it, but I'm sure its the bees knees.
X. Din's Curse
X. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX

Solo

Tricky I Shadow said:
Mass Effect 2 is getting waaaaay too much love.

If it wins GOTY, which sadly it looks like it will, I may have to withdraw to OT permanently* :lol :lol

* to be fair, 95% of my posting is done in the OT anyway

hamchan

1. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm
2. Gran Turismo 5
3. Red Dead Redemption
4. Starcraft 2
5. Mass Effect 2
6. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
7. Super Street Fighter 4
8. Yakuza 3
9. Bayonetta
10. Nier

Honorable mentions:
X. Call of Duty Black Ops
X. Resonance of Fate
X. God of War 3

Feindflug

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2 ; The first game was already perfect but Ninty managed to release an even better game, a game which made me feel like I'm 14 years old again...'nuff said.
2. Vanquish ; Best third person shooter this gen easily, Mikami-san created what most couldn't - a shooter from Japan which combines the shooters from the West with elements from the action genre of the East...too bad the game didn't sell well, a title that will be remembered in the future as a classic must-play game from this gen.
3. Halo: Reach ; The best Halo game since Combat Evolved, Bungie made a beast of a game with so much love and care improving everything over Halo 3 from the visuals and sound to the freakin' impressive AI and at the same time added a lot of content, the armor abilities and the return of the Elites make this easily the Halo with the best gameplay yet and the best FPS this gen IMO.
4. Super Meat Boy ; What can I say about this one? superb controls/mechanics and superb level design - it's easily the best 2D platforming I've played in a looong time..best XBLA game out there IMO.
5. Bayonetta ; After the disappointment of DMC4 and to a lesser extent of Ninja Gaiden 2 Kamiya saved the genre from mediocrity..crazy story and characters, a ton of content and the best combat system in the genre that really shines in the harder difficulties.
6. Limbo ; A melancholic & haunting experience that for some weird reason it reminded me of ICO..this is enough to add this one to my GOTY list.
7. Red Dead Redemption ; Best sandbox game this gen along with Crackdown IMO with breathtaking visuals and attention to detail and some really good characters..also the great use of Euphoria makes the game even better.
8. Darksiders ; Best Zelda clone I've played in years which actually came by surprise as I was not a fan of what I saw before the game was released..Vigil Games is definitely one of the most promising studios in the industry at the moment IMO.
9. Alan Wake ; Remedy's latest game is a weird situation for me..after all the disappointment from the below expectations first reviews and the negative talk about the graphics I played the game and totally loved the setting and the great story..sure it has flaws and it can improve in some areas but overall it was a very good game that showed that a sequel can be something really special.
10. Heavy Rain ; A cinematic experience that gets a lot of hate here on gaf but got me hooked with it's interesting story and characters, another game that shows that it's creators (Quantic Dream) have the talent to create something very unique in the future.

1. Mass Effect 2 ; I was never a fan of the first one, mostly due to issues with the combat portions of the game. But, Bioware was kind enough to revamp these entirely for Mass Effect 2 which resulted in a game that actually played as well as its story, setting and characters deserved. By the end I was literally on the edge of my seat, screaming with delight as my team made its escape from one of the final confrontations. It didn't hurt for the ending to evoke a little Empire Strikes Back as well, I totally loved every bit of it.
2. Red Dead Redemption ; One of the few games this year that managed to give that feeling of having an entire world to explore. That moment you get off the train and take a good look at the desert and the beautiful skies is utterly convincing. Shooting people never felt better either. It started to drag some near the end, but overall, definitely a great game.
3. Alan Wake ; While the combat started to get boring very early on, and the gameplay was extremely linear, I did come away impressed with Remedy's new game. I guess this is due mainly to atmosphere and the overall look and feel of Alan Wake. Its forests especially, they looked positively alive.
4. WoW: Cataclysm ; I swore I wouldn't get back into WoW, but I caved a couple days after launch. It's not the game changing expansion some make it out to be. But it's still a lot of fun. Vashj'ir is my favorite new zone, it's a sight to behold. One thing does become clear though, the gameplay is getting stale and I'm ready for Diablo III.
5. StarCraft 2 ; Nothing much to say here, it's Starcraft updated for 2010. I've heard someone say the campaign feels like a whole bunch of side missions, and I tend to agree. Starcraft 1 is definitely better in that sense, but multiplayer with some friends is still a lot of fun. Though I have yet to actually play a whole lot of it.
6. Mafia 2 ; Not as good as the first Mafia, which remains the best open world game, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. The first part of the game is excellent. Driving around in the snow with some jazz on the radio was worth the price of admission. I also applaud this game for coming up with collectibles that were actually worth collecting. Those playboy photos looked sexy back then, god damn.
7. Gran Turismo 5 ; Everything about this game is fucking terrible, except for the music and the actual driving. This is no troll, but I finally enjoy GT's driving as much as I do Forza's and that's enough for me to enjoy this 5th GT.
8. Heavy Rain ; I wasn't necessarily a fan of the story or the way the game played. But I guess sacrifices had to be made there in order for this experiment to work. It's ambitious however and I hope this paves the way for more innovating when it comes to narrative in games.
9. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light ; Low on the list, since I haven't played much of it. But I suspect it's a great game.
10. Amnesia: the Dark Descent ; So scary I haven't worked up the guts to actually play it yet.

Honorable mention:

x. STALKER: Call of Pripyat ; An honorable mention for this game. I gave the original STALKER another try early this year since I had never managed to really get into it the first time. It worked and I now love it deeply (except for the ending). I will probably also love this new STALKER game, except I have to wait for the complete mod so that it won't look and run like dogshit. Had I been able to play it decently, this might have made the cut.

ElyrionX

1. Red Dead Redemption
2. Gran Turismo 5
3. Mass Effect 2
4. Bayonetta
5. Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening
6. Halo: Reach

Games in backlog: Vanquish, Fallout New Vegas, Heavy Rain, Assassins Creed Brotherhood, Fable 3, Splinter Cell Conviction

Also, the fact that I can't even come up with a top ten list for the year is kind of surprising to me. Didn't realize my gaming time has been cut down by so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom