• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2013 - Voting Thread - VOTING CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
AniHawk, you sly dog.

Not too surprising but our lists will probably have quite a bit of overlap, with a few exceptions probably mostly out of a difference in what I was able to play this year (never got Tearaway, and waiting on Rayman Legends). Great list though, and I agree in general with your sentiments on Gone Home... though I probably won't have it top my list this year. It will be on there somewhere though.

AniHawk

AniHawk, you sly dog.

Not too surprising but our lists will probably have quite a bit of overlap, with a few exceptions probably mostly out of a difference in what I was able to play this year (never got Tearaway, and waiting on Rayman Legends). Great list though, and I agree in general with your sentiments on Gone Home... though I probably won't have it top my list this year. It will be on there somewhere though.

i really felt like i needed to explain my appreciation for gone home because i've rallied so hard against that type of game before. having it at the top of the list, over games that will probably better stand the test of time (basically everything else in the top 10), was also something i debated myself over for a while, but having anything else at the top spot didn't ring true as far as my personal experiences went.

i look forward to seeing your stuff. i expect some overlap too.

ShutEye

The only game I played this year was TLOU. Good game. Great template for bringing RE2 style gaming into the current decade. Really fascinating experience for me personally at the end of the game with respect to player choice, narrative, character development etc.

But at the end of the day it was the only game I played this year that was new (other than an hour of Luigi's Mansion) and that's not enough for me to vote as far as I'm concerned.

My backlog is slowly shrinking though. And I got a 3DS! Maybe next year I'll be back with a vote (very doubtful).

I did enjoy reading everyone's opinions though. Good job guys.

I really didn't think I'd have to update my list, but I just did. I beat Pikmin 3 today, and wow, what an amazing game. It went from being in my honorable mentions (as I hadn't finished it) to being #5 on my list as the credits rolled. This was my first Pikmin game, and I was blown away by how charming and fun it was. Truth be told, I went in with low expectations (as I thought the games always looked a bit silly), but boy was I surprised.

I really didn't think I'd have to update my list, but I just did. I beat Pikmin 3 today, and wow, what an amazing game. It went from being in my honorable mentions (as I hadn't finished it) to being #5 on my list as the credits rolled. This was my first Pikmin game, and I was blown away by how charming and fun it was. Truth be told, I went in with low expectations (as I thought the games always looked a bit silly), but boy was I surprised.

wait so did 6-10 all move down a spot from your original list?

AniHawk

pikmin 2 and pikmin 1 play rather differently. i recommend giving them a go if you can find the wii versions.

pikmin 2 and pikmin 1 play rather differently. i recommend giving them a go if you can find the wii versions.

Yeah, I'm really considering going back to play the older Pikmin games. Pikmin 1 looks a little more daunting because I've heard its time limit is a bit more strict. You have something like 30 days to complete it? Pikmin 3 is dictated by how much fruit you collect, but that isn't the case for the first two, right? Is it true that Pikmin 2 has no time limit at all?

demidar

i really felt like i needed to explain my appreciation for gone home because i've rallied so hard against that type of game before. having it at the top of the list, over games that will probably better stand the test of time (basically everything else in the top 10), was also something i debated myself over for a while, but having anything else at the top spot didn't ring true as far as my personal experiences went.

i look forward to seeing your stuff. i expect some overlap too.

I played Gone Home too but I found it underwhelming due to execution thus it doesn't make my list (maybe as an honourable mention). However, I think this method of storytelling has potential, if placed in a more active game.

I would kill for a detective game where getting the right suspect is completely up to the player and it's possible to fail to catch them if you mess up (as in the story continues even if you fail, canonical fail states). You would comb over crime scenes for clues as to who the killer is and what their motives were.

demidar, you haven't played AA5's DLC yet?

why why why why why

I was distracted by other games. I'm playing through Etrian Odyssey 4 right now.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Man, the deadline is only a few days away now. I want to post my list but I'm trying to get a little further in two games (and possibly complete one of them) so I can be sure that I'm ranking them as correctly as possible.

ohlawd

Yeah, I'm really considering going back to play the older Pikmin games. Pikmin 1 looks a little more daunting because I've heard its time limit is a bit more strict. You have something like 30 days to complete it? Pikmin 3 is dictated by how much fruit you collect, but that isn't the case for the first two, right? Is it true that Pikmin 2 has no time limit at all?

Pikmin 1 is extremely generous with its time limit. That was my first Pikmin game and I got massacred (forgive me, little Pikmin) but I still got everything in 20 days. Pikmin 2 still has its daily time limit (sunrise -> sunset) but you can take as long as you want to get everything. Take 30, 50, 100, 200 days to get everything, knock yourself out.

I was distracted by other games. I'm playing through Etrian Odyssey 4 right now.

I would have gone HAM on you but when you're playing EOIV, I can't. I kinda like that game :3

Remember out little EOIV conversations in the PxZ OT? What are your thoughts so far? 1st person dungeon crawling still no good?

AniHawk

yeah pikmin 1 is about finding missing parts of your crashed ship. pikmin 2 is about making money to restore the economy of your home planet. pikmin 1 is a lot shorter, but not super difficult. pikmin 2 is definitely a lot more laid back. it also has randomly generated dungeons from what i recall. i think the feeling of adventure is strongest in pikmin 2.

El_Mau

1. The Last of Us ; It's simple, the game delivers the exact feelings it tries to, there's a lot of people that didn't enjoy the game just because is sad and they are right it's a sad world where you don't want to live in, and in my case it's the first time I see that kind of reaction in an AAA game or any game at all.
2. Papers please ;
3. Bioshock Infinite ;
4. Tomb Raider ;

I saw a lot of people complaining recently about the game industry as a whole, but man, last year was an amazing one, wish I had more time to play, those are pretty much the only games I played.

AniHawk

I played Gone Home too but I found it underwhelming due to execution thus it doesn't make my list (maybe as an honourable mention). However, I think this method of storytelling has potential, if placed in a more active game.

I would kill for a detective game where getting the right suspect is completely up to the player and it's possible to fail to catch them if you mess up (as in the story continues even if you fail, canonical fail states). You would comb over crime scenes for clues as to who the killer is and what their motives were.

for me, i think it succeeds mostly because it's not an active game. it doesn't do anymore than what it needs to do. the same is true of the stanley parable, but that was a lot lighter on action than what i wanted.

i see where you're coming from. just explaining myself further.

demidar

I would have gone HAM on you but when you're playing EOIV, I can't. I kinda like that game :3

Remember out little EOIV conversations in the PxZ OT? What are your thoughts so far? 1st person dungeon crawling still no good?

I've turned down the 3D to just above the click before switching it completely off, which made the visuals much more tolerable (to be honest, playing games in 2D just seems *wrong* now).

I've found that you can speed up damage numbers manually by pressing A which is great, but I would rather they stay on screen for a bit longer before scrolling in to oblivion. While I am scrolling through combat messages quickly, there's a chance I could skip over procs (like Swordbreaker or Free Energy). If you've played the Bravely Default demo, you'd know that if a proc happens you get a small notification below the character (Adrenaline, Turn Tables, etc.), that's pretty much what I want. All these complaints are about taking in information in parallel, rather than in series because it's too slow for me.

When planning out which skill to take, it would be great if I could see what differences each level has without having to bounce out to a FAQ.

Drawing auto-pathing needs to be a lot faster. I don't know why you have to place in directions per square and not draw where to go directionally (direction drawn depending on which square the stylus is on and which of the four sides you cut through).

Enemy variety and behaviour is good so far. Enemies are different enough for me to not just auto-battle and require different strategies resulting in investment.

Movement kinda sucks, but I place the blame on the 3DS XL's D-pad being too low.

Sometimes it's a bit hard to tell which bind is effective on what. Like, if I'm fighting a killer deer, should I bind its legs? I don't think deers have arms, but I'm just not sure. Does binding arms also mean binding the wings of birds? Does binding heads also deny pecking/biting attacks or is it only just spellcasting? The game is nice enough to say binding legs completely removes dodge chance (even if the enemy doesn't have legs o_O).

I'm fine with drawing maps I guess.

The quest log needs to display way more information than it currently does. I don't want to have to abandon and pick it back up to see pertinent information again.

Does the game feature dual-wielding? I don't know that but I would like to have a party member that could, because dual-wielding is cool.

I would like to see what each stat does, similar to what Bravely Default does. Actually I would like to see all the numbers being crunched behind the scenes, things like hit rating, dodge rating, crit chance, crit damage multiplier, magic defense. I would also like to see what attack type your basic attacks are (slashing/piercing/blunt) during battle.

I'm only on the third land right now, got access to the first locked class as well but I'm unlikely to move one in to my party. This is all that comes to mind right now, I'm liking it but not loving it.

for me, i think it succeeds mostly because it's not an active game. it doesn't do anymore than what it needs to do. the same is true of the stanley parable, but that was a lot lighter on action than what i wanted.

i see where you're coming from. just explaining myself further.

Yeah I think it's just my preference. To me, it feels like you're just a floating gun, with no tangible impact on the game world other than that of a poltergeist. That's probably what the devs were going for but it doesn't really tickle my fancy.

Pikmin 1 is extremely generous with its time limit. That was my first Pikmin game and I got massacred (forgive me, little Pikmin) but I still got everything in 20 days. Pikmin 2 still has its daily time limit (sunrise -> sunset) but you can take as long as you want to get everything. Take 30, 50, 100, 200 days to get everything, knock yourself out.

Oh, that's good to hear about the time limit. Pikmin 3's time limit felt almost nonexistent to me with how much fruit I collected. :)

yeah pikmin 1 is about finding missing parts of your crashed ship. pikmin 2 is about making money to restore the economy of your home planet. pikmin 1 is a lot shorter, but not super difficult. pikmin 2 is definitely a lot more laid back. it also has randomly generated dungeons from what i recall. i think the feeling of adventure is strongest in pikmin 2.

Ah, gotcha. Randomly generated dungeons is actually a turn off for me. I mean, I'm sure it's not a big deal, but it typically means less care went into designing the world/areas. Like, Pikmin 3's world/areas were breathtaking and you could tell a lot of effort went into designing them. I can't help but imagine that would have been lost in randomly generated dungeons. imo anyways. That said, the lack of a time limit does make me happy.

AniHawk

Oh, that's good to hear about the time limit. Pikmin 3's time limit felt almost nonexistent to me with how much fruit I collected. :)

Ah, gotcha. Randomly generated dungeons is actually a turn off for me. I mean, I'm sure it's not a big deal, but it typically means less care went into designing the world/areas. Like, Pikmin 3's world/areas were breathtaking and you could tell a lot of effort went into designing them. I can't help but imagine that would have been lost in randomly generated dungeons. imo anyways. That said, the lack of a time limit does make me happy.

the randomly generated stuff, as i recall, mostly deals with getting closer to a boss battle. the overworld is still there, and there's a lot to explore. the dungeony stuff has puzzles and other obstacles from what i recall. i'm not sure how it was done.

ohlawd

I'm only on the third land right now, got access to the first locked class as well but I'm unlikely to move one in to my party. This is all that comes to mind right now, I'm liking it but not loving it.

i'm iffy on the details cuz it's been a while.

yes you're right it's hard to tell which skills have activated and all we really get are the buffs/debuffs screen which doesn't paint the entire picture.

the skills definitely do need to be explained better. it was commonplace in the OT to ask a poster who is extremely knowledgeable about EO clarification on what does what. sometimes the text is wrong or weird stuff happens like a passive skill not working if you subclass and you've already pumped in points to a similar skill of the main class. I forget this, I think it involves a Dancer and Fortress with their evasion skills

auto paths don't have that feature where you can drag arrows with the stylus in IV but it's possible in Untold.

general case for binding is to bind heads to prevent magic use or head attacks like tackling, biting so you're right about that. lol yes deer should be bound by head or legs, depending on what the attacks are. birds should be bound by their arms, those flying mantis you see should have their scythes bound too. I just look at the enemy's anatomy and try to reason out what binds I should use. most of the time it works, sometimes it doesn't. anyway I don't think it's a bad thing it isn't clear cut as to what binds to use.

the quest thing is a problem (but not a big one to me) and it doesn't get fixed in Untold either. it's a problem if you're trying to review information I agree. As for solving quests though, the game gives enough details to do so. Oh except for one or two, I had to ask around for those.

yes you can dual wield. Nightseekers can attack twice in a row if you put in points into Blade Flurry and have two weapons equipped.

swords and knives - cut
rapiers and bows - stab
staves and mace - bash

isn't there an icon located near the weapon names? like \ for cut, -> for stab?

demidar

yes you can dual wield. Nightseekers can attack twice in a row if you put in points into Blade Flurry and have two weapons equipped.

swords and knives - cut
rapiers and bows - stab
staves and mace - bash

isn't there an icon located near the weapon names? like \ for cut, -> for stab?

Damn, wish I could dual-wield as Landsknecht, throwing a Nightseeker in there could ruin my composition. Maybe I can take out my Fortress...

I know about those icons, but I switch weapons around enough for me to forget which person has which weapon equipped.

(We are getting really off topic)

bigf00t

hrJPXEf.jpg

1. Grand Theft Auto 5 ; The best GTA so far. I'm still amazed at what Rockstar was able to pull off with the 360/PS3 hardware. Such amazing attention to detail and a fully realized world. With its memorable character and missions and Rockstar's trademark irreverent humor, the single player was my favorite gaming experience of the year. I wasn't a huge fan of GTA Online, but it doesn't change how I felt about the game overall.

LLqUguM.jpg

2. Bioshock Infinite ; I wish we saw more games that attempted narratives like this. While I don't think that the gameplay necessarily stands out, and the combat got old pretty fast, the world and the characters were what kept me going. It's very rare that I think about a single-player game after I complete it, but this one stuck with me for weeks.

ZgaMZig.jpg

3. Path of Exile ; (AKA Diablo 2.5) This game knows why you play ARPGs: Sweet, sweet loot! It certainly doesn't hold back in doling out massive amounts, with a myriad of interesting effects and attributes. Compared to the rather lackluster (especially at launch) loot of Diablo 3, this game actually made me care about grinding for that perfect item again. The currency system is great, and allows you to customize that uber item you found. Combine this with great co-op, an interesting ability system, a MASSIVE skill tree (seriously!) an atmospheric, "grimdark" setting and this game is definitely in my top 3.

nlUvFPx.jpg

4. Marvel Puzzle Quest Dark Reign ; When the original Puzzle Quest came out, I played it straight for probably 20 hours. I was hooked, and none of the other Puzzle Quest games since that have been able to capture that feeling for me, until this game. It's the basic puzzle quest you know and love with some Marvel characters mixed in, wrapped in a F2P shell and topped with a sprinkling of asynchronous PVP tournaments. The added depth of collecting and leveling a team of characters with powers that synergize well, is a great addition to the solid match-3 gameplay. It's also a great F2P game, in that IAP are not required at all. I have spent $2.00 in total in the game, and I'm able to be very competitive in the tournaments. I have almost 100 hours logged in this game, which is almost more than I've spent with any other game in the past year.

oAB3oye.jpg

5. Call of Duty: Ghosts ; This year, I decided I was tired of playing by myself, and joined a clan with a group of other PC players. This made the Ghosts multiplayer one of the best COD experiences I've had, and I can't go back to playing by myself. The game itself is good, and although it doesn't stray far from the COD norms in many ways, it does deliver a refined multiplayer shooter. It felt more balanced at launch than almost any COD I've played, and does not have any crazy overpowered weapons, as many of the other iterations have had. The singleplayer is always an afterthought for me with these games, but it was a fun themepark ride, with some great setpieces. Overall, one of the better additions to the already crowded COD stable.

BRRXM1p.jpg

6. Desktop Dungeons ; As an early backer, I played this game a bunch while it was in beta. At the time, it was just a procedurally generated dungeon crawler/puzzler, with no frills. I loved it, and played a ton of it, but something was missing. Now, in the release version on Steam, there is a campaign wrapper for the great dungeon gameplay. This adds a great deal to the game, and the sense of progression is very rewarding. The game is hard, but fair, and learning the tricks that it will take to beat some of the harder maps can take a while. Definitely in my top 3 roguelikes, if it can indeed be considered one.

32sKDQK.jpg

7. The Swapper ; This is an beautiful, atmospheric puzzle game set in an abandoned space station. It also happens to have some of the best mind-bendingly difficult puzzles this side of Braid. The feeling of isolation and claustrophobia is always with you as you slowly unravel the story through hints in the environment. I appreciate it when games don't spoon feed you the story (see Dark Souls), and it definitely adds to the aura of mystery that surrounds this game.

PW2FTQ1.jpg

8. Shadowrun Returns ; I began to have doubts about backing this game on kickstarter several months before it was to be released. I wanted to withhold judgement until I played, though, so when I played it for the first time, I was hoping it would blow me away. It didn't, though, and after putting an hour or two into the game, I gave up. I didn't pick it back up until 3 or 4 months later, but I'm sorry I waited that long to give it a second chance. Once you get past the slow start, the game really picks up. I love the setting, and the turn-based combat felt wonderful. While the base game was a bit short, I'm excited to see what the Berlin campaign brings, as well as what the community comes up with for custom content.

ma0kaQ8.jpg

9. The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing ; This is a fun ARPG that doesn't take itself too seriously, but I think it can stand alongside some of the other great ARPGs in it's own right. It reminded me a lot of Titan Quest, and that's definitely a good thing. The skill system lacks some variety, but the loot is great, and the monsters are a refreshing blend of European mythical creatures, instead of those tiresome Demons. The steampunk setting is pretty unique in the genre, and fighting mechanical soldiers and electrical werewolves never gets old. For just $15 on steam, it's also easy on the wallet.

FpzHK12.jpg

10. Call of Juarez Gunslinger ; I was very skeptical about this game when I first heard about it, as the previous gunslinger games have ranged from OK to, most recently, downright bad. I went in with fairly low expectations, but the game definitely won me over. You play a bounty hunter searching for the men that killed your brother, but the game all takes place in the context of the bounty hunter, now an old man, retelling his tale to a group of admirers in a saloon. Sometimes he forgets details, and sometimes he gets called out on some fact or other by one of the the listeners. The game world changes as he narrates and fixes his mistakes, which makes for some great moments. The combat is fairly standard, but the skill trees you have access to allow you to tailor your approach to specfic weapons or playstyles. The duels in the game are awesome, and make you feel like a badass when you outdraw your opponent. I haven't gone through the arcade mode, but it takes full advantage of the combo kill system that allows you to string kills together to go for a spot in the online leaderboards.

YLxSD5n.jpg

x. Kingdom Rush Frontiers ; I loved the first game, and this one was no exception. Easily the best mobile tower defense game I've played, it's challenging and addictive.

znpCnMI.jpg

2012. XCOM: Enemy Unknown ; I wanted to play this when it first came out, but I ended up getting it for free with Bioshock Infinite on Steam. I had a great time playing through the game, and I found it quite challenging. It's a great feeling starting with green recruits and turning them into ubersquad with alien weaponry and power armour. And then inevitably losing your best soldier to a random alien grunt that he should have easily stomped. That's XCOM.

Mr. RHC

AR7H77G.png

1. Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn ; I'm a big fan of the Final Fantasy series, I love its story, its music, its characters and its gameplay. Final Fantasy IX, VIII and XII are among my favourite entries in the entire series, I'm also an avid fan of Final Fantasy VI and VII. Now, after Final Fantasy XII, which I had to finish after a pause when I first thought this game is not for me. But it really is excellent the more you advance in this game. Then there was Final Fantasy XIII, again with great music and a somewhat playable game, but the rest is forgettable. I never gave up on Square Enix, I was really dissapointed that they decided to do FF XIII-2... I was frustrated when they announced Lightning Returns.. but I never gave up that Square Enix would eventually deliver. Then there was E3, with FF Versus XIII reborn as FF XV.. one of the best moments this year for me, personally.. what was it? 6 years of waiting for this game to come out.. heck.. to even show up? I was just happy they finally showed it, showing that Final Fantasy still has the potential to be one of the best series in the industry.

Then, when Final Fantasy XIV : ARR was released, at first I was just reading the NeoGAF OT. Everybody knows the GIF of the guy laughing and then putting on a most serious face. This, however, and I knew it immediately, was the GIF to sell the game for me. I knew if so many people wanted to get into the Early Access of the game, there most be something special about it. So I went and got the game... of course, first things first.. boot it up.. on PS3.. then... the Start Menu... PRELUDE THEME in MY FACE.. it was epic.. I knew from that moment that this game is Final Fantasy, the Final Fantasy I love.. it was a magic moment for sure. The intro theme composed by Nobuo Uematsu and performed by Susan Calloway, Answers, is a fitting and fantastic song. Final Fantasy XIV ARR is full of surprises, it is accessible, it is playable, it is beautiful, the landscape and music is something else.. and it is online! Some games are just much more fun when played together. First you decide which class you want to be.. then you progress.. learn the mechanics, enter your first dungeons.. get your chocobo... leave your home country for the first time.. have some ups and downs.. join a Free Company.. meeting new people.. having fun.. getting frustrated... experience some actually good story lines in a Final Fantasy game after 3 years... all that... in Yoshi-P we trust!

I did not play FF XI, and I'm aware that it is quite a different experience and I respect that, but I believe they created something wonderful with ARR. Good Moogle, they also nailed it with the ending, it was like. " This was XIV:ARR lads, THIS is Final Fantasy, and it is fucking wonderful." Yes, Square Enix, it was and is fucking wonderful, Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn is my magical crystallized Game Of The Year!

A6JwK18.png

2. BioShock Infinite ; What a ride.. my first Bioshock game and it was a blast! Infinite is probably amazing level decoration the game! Every room is a like a museum, little posters and messages and pictures and propaganda and all that stuff everywhere. A highly idealized mysterious country to explore combined with an intriguing story and lovely music. Only lowlight, the gameplay.. I'd like to echo EviLore here, why is Infinite a shooter?

WvZWsE9.png

3. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance ; Much like Final Fantasy XIV ARR, the original Rising was cancelled by Kojima Productions and than handed over to Platinum Games. They created a fast paced, funny and surprisingly Metal Gear-esque game. The story is not your usual Kojima epic, but I was surprised because I thought it would be a complete disaster. In fact, they did some things incredibly right, like the codec, it is the best codec in the series after MGS3. I still think of Revengeance as a spin-off to the series, a tribute to the fans.. but it is a damn good spin off, in does not connect the dots and easter eggs and messages Kojima usually tries to convey in his games.. there is
one scene however with Raiden und Sunny with a little MGS4 throwback, that was cool. And Doktor and Samuel are very likeable and interesting characters. So, here's to you, Rising, I'm sure we haven't seen The Last Of You!

RVD2vDU.png

4. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies ; Hey, my name is Mr. RHC.. and I'M FINE! The Ace Attorney series is one of the best written series I know... and Dual Destinies is excellent as well! It probably has the best playable cast in the series and the music is also fantastic in this game.. even if it is not my favourite in the series, it is a game you should definitely check out!

cncalir.png

5. Beyond: Two Souls ; Hah, this game is a mixed bag. The graphics are insane, and it had the best sneaking passage this year.. haha.. story is partly good.. but not as thrilling as Heavy Rain's! Still, I hope David Cage continues to make interesting games!

n8J8xEo.png

6. The Last Of Us ; What can I say, good game, I prefer Uncharted 2, and the hyperbole for this game was really annoying, but that's not Naughty Dogs's fault, but the multiplayer is almost on par with Uncharted 2's...

2012. The Walking Dead ; Amazing, I really should write up more, but I will reserve it for Season 2!

NBtoaster

1. Dota 2 ; The reason my list this year is so short. No other game has been as addicting and consuming as this.

2. Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag ; A genuinely fun open world adventure. The open world activities make it a collectathon, but I like that. The cities are nicely designed and use the terrian well such as trees and cliffs unlike previous games. The story is also pretty entertaining, with most of the protaganists, and even antaganists being likable. The best game in the series.

3. Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus ; A nice return to form for the series. Features all the staples of the series in a condensed form but also introducing some well designed open jetpack levels. Some weapons play a little too safe though.

Games played but not mentioned: Bioshock Infinite (shooting is too poor), GTA5 (haven't finished), Crysis 3 (more open levels hurt it compared to Crysis 2)

Honestly, this year has shown that if gaming just becomes F2P, yearly AAA rehash and small releases...I'm fine with it.

klier

1. Super Mario 3D World ; The Mario game I always wanted to play. The gameplay is perfection, the locked framerate Godly at 60 fps and the multiplayer aspect is just insanely fun. Prefer it over every other game last year.

2. Pikmin 3 ; I would gladly wait another 10 years if Pikmin 4 will be as good as 3 was. Highly enjoyable and the combination of Wiimote/nunchuck and gamepad is brilliant

3. TLOU ; Wow.

4. AC4 Black Flag ; Biggest surprise of the year. I liked the open world and settings greatly

5. GTA V
6. New Super Luigi U
7. Resogun
8. Battlefield 4
9. Zelda TWW HD

Ataturk

1. The Last of Us ; I know, it's boring the amount of praise this game gets, but it's justified. Excellent story and acting, as well as a really strong ending, which is rare in gaming. It played well as a (sort of) stealth game. The Manhunt comparisons are apt.
2. Grand Theft Auto V ; Insanely detailed city and also markedly better mechanically than any previous GTA. Storywise it was same old same old with it losing focus and dragging on too long. Still, it had Trevor so that was a big plus.
3. DmC: Devil May Cry ; OK, maybe there wasn't enough depth there but that didn't bother me. It was a lot of fun and looked great on PC, especially the Fox news and the nightclub levels. Also, platforming was a nice change of pace, rather than a bore which is typical in these games.
4. Rayman Legends ; I enjoyed it more than Origins, mainly due to taking out the shooter sections and making the secret levels more varied. Still a fantastic art style and a well made platformer. The invaded (timed) levels were a highlight.
5. Bioshock Infinite ; Liked it but it still doesn't surpass the original Bioshock for me. Gameplay wise it was just OK and the repeated bosses were lame. The ending was crazy (good) and the Luteces were always interesting and funny.
6. Remember Me ; But for ps+ I would've skipped this entirely, it was reviewed poorly but I can't understand why. There was a lot going for it like its soundtrack and visuals. It had a lot of unique ideas in there that were well executed.
7. Guacamelee! ; Standard Metroidvania with a cool visual style.
8. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons ; Gerstmann's comment on it being like a gimmicky level in a Ratchet and Clank game was pretty funny. The mechanic was elegant, but I dunno about good especially. There were times when I was kinda stunned by how good it looked but the story didn't particularly grab me.
9. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance ; Loved Bayonetta and Vanquish but this didn't click with me in the same way, I could never fully get to grips with the parrying in particular (yes I suck). I enjoyed a lot of it but equally I was too frustrated with it for too much of the game to rate it any higher.
10. Gone Home ; Really transported me back in the 90s. The story though, I'm all for more grounded plots in games but this one was a little too basic for me.

2012. Hotline Miami ; So stylish, just oozes style. The soundtrack is fantastic on it's own but really fits this so well. the only game this year that I regularly came back to after I'd finished it.

Uraizen

Banned
1. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance ; One of Platinum's greatest games. The combat is fun and fluid. It has a good amount of depth to it. The bosses are fantastic and the soundtrack compliments the fights perfectly. It's just an overall wonderful experience.
2. BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma ; I imported this game in 2013 and I have already put god knows how many hours into it. It is, by far, the best iteration of blazblue so far.
3. The Wonderful 101 ; It feels like playing a Saturday morning cartoon.
4. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies ; A great entry in the Ace Attorney series, possibly one of the best.
5. Chaos Code ; Another overlooked fighter that released in 2013.
6. RainBlood Chronicles: Mirage ; This game surprised me and I found out about it via the FGW thread. It really is like a 2D DMC and tons of fun to play.
7. Saints Row IV ; Great super hero game.
8. Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut ; Quirky, but fun.
9. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag ; Pirate sim.
10. Injustice: Gods Among Us ; Eh, it's an alright fighter, but the story mode is good.

2012. Street Fighter X Tekken ; Screw the haters, this game is great.

I'm from the US since that was requested if you imported a game.

ktynn

Banned
1. Super Mario 3D World ; Haven't been so immersed by gameplay in a long time.
2. Fire Emblem Awakening ; First FE i ever finished; loved every single bit of it.
3. GTA V ; The best in the series, best open world game i've ever played; top notch voice acting & cutscenes, what more do you need.
4. Animal Crossing: New Leaf ; This game coloured my summer even more.
5. A Link Between Worlds ; Gorgeous in motion.
6. Bravely Default (EU) ; Impressive world & art direction, basic but addictive combat system, apart from the S drinks/points and 3DS sleeping mode features it's a pretty amazing JRPG.
7. Deadly Premonition ; We need more games like these that don't hold back on artistic freedom.
8. Bioshock Infinite ; The combat wasn't all that good, but the story, immersion and world that the game created (going hand in hand with the gfx/artstyle) we're simply amazing. One of the few games i finished this year.
9. Spelunky ; Lovely, hard, no bullshit, great game with amazing replayability.
10. Killer is Dead ; dem asses, dat art direction, dat randomness, dat weird sense of humour, dat atmosphere, dem cell shading gfx. Too bad the gameplay lacked diversity and polish; i'd love to see another Killer 7 type of game.
x. Pokemon Y ; I tried to love it, it was just fine, i'm more happy with my 3DS Pokedex Pro.
x. Metal Gear Rising ; My friend couldn't shut up about it, he got all trophies for it (including DLC ones) - i played it for a few hrs, must admit, game is pretty ace.
2012. Dark Souls ; This game on PC, it's just gorgeous, can't wait for Dark Souls 2.

BF4, COD:Ghosts, AC:Black Flag; biggest disappointments of the year - indie games are changing the way we look at and play games. I feel like i'm starting to expect different things from triple A games; the three beforementioned lacked innovation, depth and polish on so many levels, not to mention the bugfest and lack of optimization for PC.

Can't wait for 2014; SMT4, Persona 5, "X", Mugen Souls Z, Sengoku Basara 4, Dark Souls 2, Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros Wii U,... there's so many great titles it's scary :-O

AkuMifune

Banned
  1. The Last of Us ; By this time the hyperbole on TLoU has become an ouroboros, but it's still unquestionably the greatest game of 2013. While the story is what drew most of us in, I enjoyed the gameplay a ton too, completing the game on Hard, twice. The central gameplay mechanic of stalking, hunting and hiding were a ton more satisfying than I expected. There are certainly pacing issues, too many ladder carrying sections and parts that just draaaag on (dragoon). Still, the best game of the year and Naughty Dog's finest achievement.
  2. GTA V ; All three protagonists were far more interesting than I expected, especially Trevor. Not only was he an answer to the complaints of ludonarrative dissonance from IV, but a giant middle finger to all of their critics. I know most people considers GTAV's core narrative on the downfall of the American dream didn't connect with people and was often mocking of the very culture we live in, I found Michael's struggle to keep his wretched family together really compelling, and by the time he was flying across Los Santos in a drug induced fever dream I knew Rockstar still had it. An amazing technical achievement that will probably be on my list next year again.
  3. Beyond: Two Souls ; While Beyond's non-linear structure makes it a struggle to find an emotional anchor in the story right away, it comes together over subsequent chapters very nicely, provided you aren't a jerk. While some of those chapters have Quantic's signature cringe-worthy dialogue, moments from this game rival any experience I had this year. What really drew me in was the relationship between Jodie and Aiden, and the feeling of helplessness Jodie has as a little girl. It's terrifying to be tethered to a spectral monster, and as they grow together it becomes something really special.
  4. Metro: Last Light ; I didn't like the fact that somehow I got the bad ending, though I worked hard all game to get as many moral points as possible. Makes me kinda pissed. That's about all I didn't like. The best shooter of the year by a mile. By an Infinite mile. ;)
  5. Outlast ; The best horror game I played all year. The gameplay after the first couple hours does get slightly predictable (turn two switches/levers/things on opposite sides of the level having to run/hide in between) the story becomes really interesting and there's enough surprises in the back half to make me want to see it all again. On PS4? No way son, this game deserves Oculus Rift.
  6. XCOM: Enemy Within ; Didn't expect them to work in a narrative so well and they actually made effort to humanize some of the previously bland NPC's around the base. Feels like XCOM 1.5, which is just fine with me since the first was my favorite game last year. Time to start building some satellites again.
  7. Call of Juarez: Gunslinger ; A micro shooter that is better than most full shooters I've played in the last two years. Gunslinger is rad. Great mechanics, good story, well told during gameplay for the most part seamlessly blending the two in a way more designers should be looking at.
  8. Tomb Raider ; It's more Uncharted than I had hoped, and while the open-ness of it is nice, the Metroid elements are too light. Yes, there are many many places to go and explore outside the main path once you get the required tools, but they're usually just tiny places and the rewards very minor. Still, a worthy reboot.
  9. Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon ; Surprising, insane, ridiculous, and straight out of someone 80's fever dreams. Loved with all my cybernetic heart.
  10. DMC ; Fun, inventive and deserves more respect for what it is, though I still think it's trying to get over the stigma of what it isn't. The spectacle of the boss fights alone makes it a worthy entry in the series.

2012 (2012 in EU!): Catherine ; One of the most surprising games I played all year. It would easily be #4 on my list. Thought I would hate the puzzle sections, so I avoided the game forever, but after Night #1 I actually started looking forward to them. The rhythm of the bar/puzzle/anime scenes is really well done and reminded me of Persona in the best ways. Although I didn't really need the game to tell me I am the Perfect Lover.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
1. DOTA 2 ; This shit ain't healthy. I always looked down on MOBAs and did not think I'd enjoy it, but it really is engaging at all phases of the game with always more things to do and think and get better at.
2. Metal Gear Rising Revengeance ; This game (laughs). Really deep combat to optimize if you want to get into it. All those cancels and systems and stealth made viable. Loved it.
3. PAYDAY 2 ; PC co-op with guns, good start, bad end game, still a ton of fun
4. Risk of Rain ; PC co-op yo
5. The Stanley Parable ; An enjoyable romp, another good use of a narrator
6. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons ; This was just okay, but I'm glad it was something different

I played Dota too much and am cheap so I didn't play that many other games. I want some of the other games moved down the list, but oh well.

UberTag

I really hate that I'm a completist with games that I play and that I have a massive backlog on top of that. I always feel like I'm playing perpetual catch-up when it comes to a thread like this because I simply haven't given enough time to what are undoubtedly many great titles. But I'll take a stab at a ranked list, regardless.

1. The Last of Us ; Finished off my initial run through of this game over the weekend (going through it on Survivor now) and was left in absolute awe. Naughty Dog invested such an overwhelming level of detail into the narrative, characterizations and acting performances in this game that I was absolutely enthralled all the way through. So many subtle little acting cues were in play with body language conveyed in the animation that I simply haven't seen utilized in a game before.
And I loved how they essentially took the night of the initial outbreak (which I've played through 5 times now) and essentially recreated the same series of events for Joel over the course of the game only for him to get confronted with the same impasse at the end and to make the human, selfish and ultimately flawed decision.
Quite simply, it's a groundbreaking achievement for the entire medium of gaming. And I've had a blast with the gameplay as well - thankfully, I played it through on Hard the first time around so I haven't encountered the broken & tedious combat that so many have quibbled about on Easy & Normal.

Also, you guys need to read Tristan Tzara's write-up for this game if you haven't already.

2. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
3. Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
4. Papers, Please
5. Grand Theft Auto V
6. Tearaway
7. Spelunky
8. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies
9. Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan
10. Fire Emblem: Awakening

2012. XCOM: Enemy Unknown

FlynnCL

Unconfirmed Member
1. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds ; A game composed of the classic Zelda formula but with some of the biggest changes the series has seen, and I love everything about it. The music is phenomenal, the visuals looks amazing in motion with lovely lighting, and it's just extremely fun to play.

2. Pokémon X / Y ; I ate up everything Pokémon as a kid in the late 90's, but around when Sapphire was released I fell out the series somehow. X was my first game since then, which is nearly 10 years. It's a really great game too, one that feels right at home, and I've had loads of fun playing with my friends.

3. Bravely Default ; Oh my god the music. That alone is enough for me to love this game. I've been awaiting this for so long and to get this game in my hands along with the art-book was so satisfying. I've not been too into playing JRPG's lately, and this being something that breaks that is great!

4. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies ; From the reveal, I was amazed at how well the game transitioned into 3D. It looks amazing, it sound amazing and it's the familiar Phoenix Wright that I've always loved (and dearly missed). I regret letting my brother play through it before me, as he has a knack for trying to spoil things...

5. Animal Crossing: New Leaf ; I played this for 201 hours in 2 weeks when it was first released. I was just completely addicted, until I just... stopped completely. I'm not sure if I love it or if I'm sick of it, but either way... it's an amazingly well thought out game that I had an absolute blast with.

6. Mario and Luigi: Dream Team Bros ; This might have been higher if it wasn't so slow. It isn't Ni No Kuni slow, but it's still pretty slow. Everything else is great though. The music is lovely, the visuals are so smooth and the combat is really fun. I really should play Bowser's Inside Story now...

7. Ni No Kuni ; Oh yeah, I still really like it. It's charming, has lovely music and really started to pick up in places. I don't regret my 50 hours with it, even if I don't remember them that much

2012. Kid Icarus: Uprising ; Absolutely amazing, from the music, visuals, script, characters and gameplay. It all works together to create one of the best 3DS games out there.

All this reminds me that I have so many games to finish... I've have Fire Emblem: Awakening wrapped up near me, and I pre-orded that along with the artbook nearly a year ago (what). Persona 4 Golden is still on my Vita yet to have been played. Tales of Xillia I'm part-way through, Virtues Last Reward is still unopened... gah.

codhand

8. Volgarr the Viking ; A 2D action game that's pretty similar to the Ghosts and Goblins,

Uh, no this game looks exactly like Rastan, and thank you for showing me this, I fucking love Rastan.

1: The Last of Us ; Starts great, then gets boring, then gets amazing around hour six, and stays there for the next ten hours, including during what is perhaps the best ending to a video game ever. If you still don't have a PS3, this is the biggest reason to get one.

2: Ni No Kuni ; The hate this game received... I can only conclude was largely a younger audience, fed up with cute, cliches in JRPGS. But, for me, it's exactly how I pictured JRPGS in my head as a kid. Presentation is like something from the future, and yet the nostalgia factor remains high.

3: Lego City: Undercover ; Can't remember which podcast, maybe CAG, that was saying this was a 2012 release. It wasn't. It was 2013, and it was glorious. This game makes a horrible first impression, but stick with it. Another fantastic ending to this game as well. Outlook for a sequel is grim, which makes my love for this game all the more bittersweet.

4: Metro: Last Light ; I enjoyed the first one a lot too, and yes this one ironed out the famous "euro-jank", but it's a much more fun game as a result, crafting great atmosphere, with varied gameplay. I had more fun with this, than with Bioshock Infinite.

5: Beyond: Two Souls ; Another title that caught worlds of hate around here. Mainly for the writing, but I'm unaware of a title with better acting and writing, despite being all ears for a suggestion. This game also had better gameplay than Heavy Rain, even if I concede I enjoyed Heavy Rain's story more.

6: GTAV ; Sure it slipped down my list, but I can name more characters in this game than any other on my list. It also fixed a lot of annoyances from GTA4. Heist missions were fun, and I even enjoyed the more quirky, less action-packed missions. I really want a PS4/PC version.

7: Brothers ; The moment you get it; you get it.

8: Gone Home ; It's inexpensive, and short, really no excuse for a self-respecting gaffer not to try this game out. The 90's setting is bar-none. Innovative, without being flashy or gimmicky.

9: Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon ; This game has great sound, music, graphics and animation. The end is tough, and the checkpoints are brutal, but the level of quality on display is so high, you can't stay mad.

10: Papers Please ; This game won't click with everyone. I was yelling at my car stereo during a Giant Bomb, GOTY podcast, when they said that they "love this game.... but it isn't fun in the traditional sense."..... Oh yes it is. Let a friend play this game, who isn't a gamer. Witness as they verbalize off-color ad-libs at the screen. Hear as they ask you, in real-life, as well as the characters in the game, questions. Listen to their reasoning behind approving or denying someone entry into this fictional country. What they're doing is Role-Playing, and it's something this game does extremely well, and it's very fun. It's like Carmen Sandiego set in a pre-perestroika Soviet republic. It's brilliant and if more people liked it, the world would be a better place.

2012: XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Honorable Mentions:

Super Mario 3D World ; People who scoff at the four-player mode are not cool.

Tiny Thief ; The music! The graphics! The humor! Play this game! It is getting zero love! If you like Zack & Wiki, you will like this game.

oggob

I knew that 2013 was going to be my year of the handheld, seeing my partner gave birth to twins in late Dec 12, having any sort of time to play on the big screen has only really just freed up a bit and most of my gaming has been on commuting to work, the backlog just grew in size and this year will look to get around to playing all the other big hits of 2013. eg: TLOU, Beyond, Tomb Raider, Bioshock, GOW:A, DmC, GT6, Black Flag, MGS:R, Puppeteer and more that are waiting to be played!

-----

1. Guacamelee (Vita) ; Played this on the Vita and it really hard to explain why I loved this game so much. Everything just clicked with me, the controls are simply perfect, incredibly responsive. The game is filled with my style of humour, from the old man/goat to the chickens, everything from the world created to characters is filled with a unique style.

Everything then boils down to the 2 main elements of the game. The platforming and the combat. Platforming in general is the stardard stuff, but then you will have the areas that require you to shift in and out of the dead world, whilst performing special moves and in general have the dexterity of a gymnast. Climbing the Tule Tree and then Tree Tops is something that is experienced and provides a great challenge.

Combat is incredibly fun, where you can get buy some areas with much mashing, but as you progress the enemies get tougher, more varied and start to have shields. There is nothing better than walking into a room and then clearing it out whilst not losing your combo, you really begin to feel like a Luchador that can handle anything. The game has some of the great boss fights that use all that combat skill.

This was one of those games that I started straight away again after completing it once, straight on to a higher difficulty, those are the types of games that are the best and I honestly can't explain why I had so much fun with this game, I just did, it truly is a brilliant game and I am eagerly awaiting news of a possibe sequel in the future.

2. Stealth Inc A Clone In The Dark (Vita) ; Thank whoever that brought this gem from PC to Vita, a game that is beyond perfect for a handheld, quick respawns, levels that looked to be tailored to the size of the screen and tight and addictive gameplay that rewards as much as it punishes. This is a game that when you fuck up, it is your fault and not that of the game, you are given enough of a tutorial as you begin each area, learning the new gameplay element, then they dump you into some of the most wonderfully designed puzzles around. There have been times you just stare at the screen watching patrol patterns and you wonder if the room you have been thrown in as actually possible to complete.

The game has a great sense of humour, where dying can lead to a hidden sarcastic one-liner about your skills playing the game. It was all in good fun though, as was the ending to this gem, to which I admit that I did end up laughing out loud about it. It was such a random event, something that you could never expect to happen that made it to funny, even though upon reflection it was also abit sad.

3. Tearaway (Vita) ; Honestly, this feels bad for placing this down at 3, as I had so much fun with the Top 3 that it was difficult to put one over the other, but that is what just had to be done. The journey that YOU undertake is rather surprising from the very first moment, that level of interactivity is one of reasons to drive the story along. What part do YOU play? It is not a difficult game and at times can be quite simple and handholdish, but it is adorable at every turn. Each journey is very personal, so I won't go into what it meant for me, but this is the game that every Vita onwer needs to own.

4. Grand Theft Auto V (PS3) ; The sandbox master returns, completely amazing that this city is up and running on the older hardware, comparing this to GTAIV the difference is just astonishing.

5. Velocity Ultra (Vita) ; Great little shooter, puzzler, something something. Amazing pick up and play value, later levels contained some nice backtracking. The sequel looks like it is in great shape and will expand the game alot more.

6. Sly Cooper Thieves in Time (Vita) ; Amazing return to form with Sly, Sanzaru put together a game worthy of the franchise with unique settings, great writing and wonderful ensemble cast.

7. Dokuro (Vita) ; Released in early 2013 for Europe, this was a great puzzle game that was spent many a moment on the train pondering possible solutions and then attempting to execute. Loved the chalk style, the bosses were well designed and enjoyed the story to the end.

8. Resogun (PS4) ; Arcade shooter with many layers, coming to grips with the scoring design can be tough, all the while simply trying to stay alive.

9. Knack (PS4) ; Games don't have to be complex to be fun, simple games aren't always easy either, Knack can be brutal at times, yet this is something I don't mind and continue to come back to.

10. Killzone Mercenary (Vita) ; I have not yet fully completed the game, but what I have played is impressive, possibly the best FPS game on a handheld.

x. Rayman Legends (Vita) ; The game is good and it controls like you want to control is, it's just that Origins was so much better. The game was really in development hell, where they talked about re-doing the Origin levels to boost the level count up, really glad they did otherwise the game would have been very lean, overall there is just no cohesion with the levels and the story, unlike Origins and thus it just fell flat.

Jharp

1. The Last of Us: Stellar stealth gameplay with a fantastic story and multiplayer that strikes a good balance between shootybang fun and throwing you into the harsh world of survival in which the game is set.

2. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate: My first Monster Hunter and wow what a blast. I've got over two hundred hours in it and haven't even seen all the content the game has to offer. At least a hundred of those hours were spent with my two best friends as we rampaged across various landscapes, ruthlessly hunting different majestic beasts for their precious hides, fangs, horns, and other assorted body parts with which to arm and clothe ourselves.

3. Battlefield 4: Yes, it's a problematic pile of bugs and connection issues. it's also the most fun I've had in adversarial multiplayer since Bad Company 2.

4. Tomb Raider: Fantastic mix of exploration and action, with really cool metroidvania-esque touches. Loved it.

5. Grand Theft Auto V: Forty hours of ass kicking open world fun.

6. Brothers: A Tale of Two So: ICO is my favorite game of all time, and this game, much like Journey in 2012, did a bang up job of reminding me of why I loved that game. Great big open environments to explore and marvel at the beauty of.

7. Assassins Creed IV: Open world piracy and bloody good ADVENTURE

8. Splinter Cell: Blacklist: Just a bitchin' stealth action game that nailed everything so goddamn perfectly. Writing this entry is making me want to go play it right now. A ton of fucking content between campaign, multiplayer, and side missions, and nearly all of it executed beautifully. New Sam be damned, the game was rad as fuck.

9. Gone Home: Spookiest non-horror game ever. Another game that did a great job, though to a more subtle degree, of reminding me of ICO. A game so relentless in the one single thing it does well that it does that thing more well than most games do their things well.

10. Metro: Last Light: Much like 2033 in 2010, and even Last of Us this year, the game did a fantastic job of blending narrative and gameplay and making me WANT to come back to an oppressive world that hated me as much as I hated it, and there's something really special about the kind of game that does that.

TaroYamada

1. DotA 2 ; One of the deepest competitive multiplayer games of all-time, wonderful art direction and the top notch execution we've all come to expect out of valve. I prefer single player games but this was my most played game this year and probably the most fun I've had this year.
2. Rise of the Triad ; The PC FPS so many PC gamers have clamored for, not surprisingly, as it seems it is rather common, so many asked for it and when the product finally arrived it was largely ignored. It's PC exclusive and fast, the level designs can be rather great and the sense of humor and secrets feel right. Kickass music too.
3. Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed ; PC Version is the best kart racer of all-time, a true achievement and I look forward to Sumo/SEGA's next game.
4. Castle of Illusion ; .
5. Company of Heroes 2 ;.
6. Guacamelee ;.
7. Rogue Legacy ; .
8. Shadow Warrior ; .
9. Dungeons and Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara ; .
10. FEZ; .

2012. Darksiders II ; Shame we'll never see this franchise continued, there's some padding for sure vs. the first (which already had some padding) but I really loved the world and unique art direction, I'm a bigger fan of the first game and disliked this ones loot mechanic but I still found a lot to love here.

1. The Last of Us; What can be said that hasn't already about The Last of Us? It's an incontestable masterpiece that serves not only as a poignant postapocalyptic tale with a compelling genuinely human/dynamic cast, as well as taut and tense gameplay but truly epitomizes the evolution of narrative alongside videogames, supporting and elevating gameplay design. Truly a technical touchstone, a watershed moment, a symbol of synergy within the medium to be remembered.

2. Bioshock Infinite; A lackluster by the number shooter design that fails to capture the nuance/function of plasmids.....at first I was kind of dissapointed with BI but the world of Columbia, the plights of Elizabeth (Booker's barely anything more than a quipy camera for the player IMHO). There are very if at all any games that still racks my mind with the execution of such a novel plot. The ending....that is all, made it all worth it.

3. Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch; Even though Bioshock and TLOU had gritty and groundbreaking stories, Ni No Kuni's vast scope of imagination founded on the empathetic tale of a boy questing thru Studio Ghibli animated lands enraptured me in imagination, a feeling of utter inspiration, in many ways made this grimy GAFfer's heart go warm if only for a brief moment. Ni No Kuni made me feel like a kid again and I'll cherish my memories playing thru the game as I return to it time and time again.

4. Pokemon Y; Pokemon blue was arguably my first real videogame passion when I was growing up. After Diamond my passion for the series extinguished to near nonexistence. Pokemon Y revitalized my love for Pokemon to beyond addiction, the new story telling attempts while ultimately still trite, absolutely amazed me...to see how far this series has progressed since I was a kid...I cant wait for the next one :)

5. Fire Emblem: Awakening; Ushering in the best year for 3DS yet, FE: A suitably melded my passion for the past entries whilst masterfully thrusting the series into 3d (on portables) in the process.

6. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance;
PLATINUM IS GOD! RULES OF NATURE!

7. Metro: Last Light; In my opinion Metro is by far the most atmospheric game this year giving Bioshock Infinite's Columbia a run for its money, the setting of Metro however uniquely dark and desperate couldn't conceal the weak central story that I couldn't help but question by the end. Also RANGER mode was horrifyinly engrossing, in many ways more intense than The Last of Us for me...
(Dead Space 3 was shit after the intro space act)

8. Dragon's Crown; I liked the PLOTs alot, specially the Sorceress...but srs Kamitani is god of art and addictive dungeon crawling as proven by this dark-horse title (for me that is).

9. Attack of the Friday Monsters: A Tokyo Tale; Like Ni No Kuni the sense of childhood imagination was inspiring as well as immersive unlike most or any games for that matter this year or any other.

10. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate; Haters gonna hate. I love Classicvania, IGAvania and now, yes, LOSvania and MercurySteam's interpretation.

x. Muramasa: REBIRTH; Glorious and beautiful metroidvania-lite, my favorite Vita game of the year.

x. Beyond: Two Souls; Say what you will about David Cage's wringing chops
(I think he needs harsh internal editor is all)
Jodie Holmes paranormal plights made for a surprisingly emotionally investing tale of interactive drama, a genre I respect and adore, and hope to continue seeing by the likes of creators like Cage and beyond
(punny right?)

2012. Spec Ops: The Line; Going into to Spec Ops: The Line I couldn't help but expect another iteration of the generic, brown and muddy Gears of War cover shooter....boy was I wrong. With surprising narrative depth dare I say Spec Ops: The Line is probably the single best shooter (narratively speaking) in the past few years (maybe even generation ultimately). I cannot recommend this game more enough to those looking for a well-crafted story with solid third person shooting. So refreshing! I hope Yager the best for their future endeavors. Brilliant, brilliant war time drama that stands as one of the most realistic and creative shooters I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing.

P.S. As someone who heavily considers themselves a console gamer but the sheer abundance of amazing 3ds titles and the quality of my enjoyment from the portable device absolutely astounded me this year. Forget Next Gen lol, the 3ds had the best software last year bar none IMHO.

tusken77

1. The Last of Us; Incredible from the very beginning to the very end. A perfect blend of superb writing, acting, gameplay, visuals, atmosphere and soundtrack. My game of the generation.
2. Grand Theft Auto V
3. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
4. Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
5. Guacamelee!
6. Velocity Ultra
7. Stealth Inc: A Clone In The Dark (Vita)

Before someone says something, no, I did not play The Last of Us.

70UrXzk.png

1. Fire Emblem: Awakening ; I got deep into the Fire Emblem series this year and this was one of the best ones. The eugenics system is deep and interesting and the characters are some of the series best.

db6Nv4i.png

2. Animal Crossing: New Leaf ; It’s Animal Crossing, there’s not much more to say. I’ve played it every day since release (though have yet to leave my town or have a visitor, so there’s a whole side to the game I haven’t seen yet). After City Folk I didn’t think Nintendo could make this series good anymore, but here they’ve proven me wrong.

U1dtopC.png

3. The Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures ; A fantastically difficult game in the vain of some of my favorites such as Mega Man 2 and 3, Castlevania, and Contra. Also criminally overlooked! Level-design is never unfair (before the last level at least) and checkpoints are generous. Learning the levels has been the most fun I’ve had all year.

DMZXFGy.png

4. Super Mario 3D World ; I know we’ve been getting a lot of Mario games lately, but if they’re consistently of the quality of NSMBU, 3D Land, and now 3D World, just give me a subscription. I will never, ever get tired of fresh ideas, good level design and tight controls.

0JrbUdo.png

5. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds ; One of the first games I ever played, and one of my most played games ever, is A Link to the Past. I figured that returning to that world would be boring, knowing it so well, but ultimately it served as an interesting twist, banking on my nostalgic memories while surprising me with all the new stuff. The smooth, 60fps look of the game makes a world of difference, and the game is an absolute joy to play. Long live Zelda!

6. Pikmin 3 ; Pikmin 2 being one of my favorite games, I was very excited for this, and it ended up being one of the few games to live up to its hype. Incredible looking environments really show off what the Wii U can do despite being old tech. This is a game I couldn’t put down until it was over, and should be a big reason to pick up a Wii U if you have any interest in it!

7. Injustice: Gods Among Us ; I;m a bit of a DC superfan by the looks of my comics shelf and longboxes. This game was far better than it had any right to be considering its predecessor was MK vs. DC. I had a ton of fun mastering the characters and I’ve never gotten this deep into a fighter before, despite the hundreds of hours of MvC2 I played in my childhood.

8. New Super Luigi U ; It’s an even more challenging version of NSMBU, one of the best games of 2012. Not much that needs to be said, because all it is is a good game.

9. Europa Universalis IV ; To be honest I haven’t gotten to play a whole lot of this game yet, but all it has to be is as good as III to get this spot on my list, and from what I can tell so far it’s quite a bit better.

10. Bioshock Infinite ; This game gets a lot of praise AND flak for its story, which I enjoyed, but what really what kept me playing was the shooting. The guns felt good and if you’re playing correctly you’ll never stop moving, it has a very kinetic feeling that’s missing from shooters after Quake. It’s not the best game ever and I prefer both other Bioshocks in the end, but it has several facets I hope become trends for shooters going forward.

x. Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies ; I just bought this game and finished the first case, it blew me completely away. If I had finished it, it might have been my #1.
x. Batman: Arkham Origins ; Arkham City being one of my favorite games of all time, I had high hopes for this game. I was mostly let down, but there is a ton of Batman fun to be had despite the disappointing aspects.
x. Etrian Odyssey IV ; See below
x. Shin Megami Tensei IV ; Both of these I bought from the eShop sale and have only played less than a few hours combined, but holy crap is this what I’ve been missing from these series? I didn’t get to many RPGs this year, but it looks like a lot of 2014 is gonna be taken up by these games and a few more.

2012. Kid Icarus: Uprising ; This game is absolutely amazing! Sakurai’s magic flows strongly in Uprising, and the dialogue makes repeat playthroughs a joy

Aeneas

1. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance ; The blocking mechanic (tied to the light attack, forcing the player to be offensive) and the slow motion slicing (which surprisingly never gets old) elevate what could have been just a good action game into a superb, infinitely replayable masterpiece. A lesser focus on combos and more on blocking, dodging and couterattacking to make the perfect cut distinguishes it from the DMC model. The presentation is completely over the top, so many great moments, from jumping from missile to missile, cutting a metal gear from head to tail, and this is coupled with Platinums hilarious sense of humor. When a boss says "Nanomachines, son" to explain his powers, you know they were having a blast making this game, and it tells.

2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds ;

3. Fire Emblem: Awakening ;

Editing later with my thoughts on each of them. I think I will stick to a top 3, I haven't played enough 2013 games to make an extensive list... Some games like Tearaway and Last of Us I feel would likely be in my top list but they are on my backlog.

btkadams

1. The Last of Us ; This game destroyed my PS3. I had to replay countless segments because my PS3 would continuously shut off, and now the system no longer works. It survived long enough to just barely let me play through this incredible game. Everything about The Last of Us blew me away. It didn't initially grab me, but it turned out to be one of those rare games that continuously gets better and better.

2. Tearaway ; This is one of the most charming games I've played in a really long time. Media Molecule really is an underrated developer. I can't wait to see what they make next.

3. Pokemon X & Y ; The release of Pokemon X/Y was a huge deal for me. I've been a fan of the series ever since their first release. Words can't describe how good it felt to finally see all of the pokemon fully rendered and animated. I waited 15 years for that moment.

4. Super Mario 3D World ; This game really surprised me. I was not hyped for it whatsoever. I enjoyed Super Mario 3D Land and this game just seemed like a cheap sequel when it was first announced. I was very wrong. This game is better than Super Mario 3D Land in almost every way.

5. Killzone Shadow Fall ; As a lover of Sci-Fi and the Killzone series, I very much enjoyed my time with Killzone Shadow Fall. I'm still playing it regularly, as the multiplayer has been a blast for me. The campaign had its flaws, but the highs made up for it. It has an amazing soundtrack too.

6. Grand Theft Auto 5 ; The amount of detail in the world of Grand Theft Auto 5 is completely insane. There really is nothing like it. Rockstar made lots of welcome improvements to the GTA formula as well, so the gameplay wasn't dragging it down as much as I had felt in previous GTA games.

7. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds ; This was a refreshing return to my favourite form of the Zelda series. I really enjoyed the risks they took with this game, even if the difficulty was sacrificed a little bit.

8. Fire Emblem Awakening ; This was the first game that really captured my attention with the 3DS. I had barely played my 3DS for the entire previous year. The battle system is absolutely perfect. I became very addicted. I found the story to be a bit boring, as I don't really dig political RPG stories, but the localization was very well done too.

9. Guacamelee ; This game is proof that indie games are not lesser games. I don’t think anyone could play this game and feel like any part of it lacked the polish of the world’s best studios. I think that’s a huge feat with a small team. This is a game that everyone should play.

10. Killzone Mercenary ; This is the greatest first-person shooter on any handheld. Now, that’s not saying much, but this is actually still one of my favourite games of the year.

x. Puppeteer ; This one is tough for me. The art direction and music in this game is outstanding, but the gameplay just wasn’t quite there for me. I think Japan Studio should be proud of this game, but it unfortunately did not live up to its potential. PS3 owners should check this game out.

1. Saints Row IV ; Man, Saints Row IV is DUMB. Like, just so dumb. But it’s also so much fun. Sprinting through the city, flipping over cars and people as you run by, only to launch in the air and perform a ground smash move, upending everything on screen is an amazing feeling. It’s too bad that they reused the same city from Saints the Third, but this is by far the most fun I had with a game this year. THIS IS HOW WE DO IT.

2. Dead Rising 3 ; The first time I got to an open world section of the game and looked out over a sea of zombies, I was truly amazed by the power of the new-gen consoles. Dead Rising 3 is a great game, but it’s also a great preview of what we can expect from the new hardware. There’s almost nothing more fun than equipping a scythe that lights zombies on fire and just mowing down hordes of walkers.

3. Grand Theft Auto V ; The first GTA game I’ve finished since Vice City, GTA V was a great open-world game. Many of the characters, including strangers and freaks, were interesting, and fleshed out to a surprising extent. I really enjoyed all the interactions with Lamar, particularly. Gameplay was GTA, but it was great to be able to flip back and forth between characters. I just wish they hadn’t removed so much of the fun from GTA – making it such a long escape after getting one star was too much of a hassle.

4. Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon ; I loved Far Cry 3 as it was, and as a fan of shitty 80s sci-fi movies, Blood Dragon was a fantastic surprise. Great story, fun characters, dragons that shoot laser beams. Just a great time.

5. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons ; Despite the clunky, sometimes confusing controls (God help me if the brothers switch sides from the sticks they’re controlled with), no other game has ever moved me as emotionally as Brothers did. I wouldn’t say that the gameplay or puzzles are great, but the story and music certainly were.

6. Tomb Raider ; Having never played a Tomb Raider game, I had no idea what to expect going into 2013’s iteration of the game. What I thought would be more of an exploration-focused game turned out to be a fun, competent third person shooter. Sure, it didn’t make sense how Lara Croft went from affected kidnapping victim to full-fledged mass murderer overnight, but I had fun with it.

7. Call of Juarez: Gunslinger ; What a great little game with such an interesting storytelling method. The gunplay was surprisingly effective, despite the slow-down-time gimmick, and was a great surprise.

8. Peggle 2 ; I was kind of disappointed in the length of the game (should’ve had more levels/masters), but for $12, it’s more Peggle. And Peggle is fucking great.

9. Need for Speed Rivals ; My first current-gen game. The abhorrent nonsense story aside, it's great to drive around and crash other racers and cops.

10. Ridiculous Fishing ; I played this to completion twice – no other iOS game has sucked me in like Ridiculous Fishing did.

2. Animal Crossing: New Leaf ; It’s Animal Crossing, there’s not much more to say. I’ve played it every day since release (though have yet to leave my town or have a visitor, so there’s a whole side to the game I haven’t seen yet).
Your post probably called my attention because you have FE as first place (Great choice, might I add), but no way you haven't gone online yet in this game! I knew that we played the GC one offline only, but maaan, this game has an amazing online community. You should fix that :eek:

duckroll

1. Shin Megami Tensei IV ; Never thought I would ever play an oppressive dark cyberpunk entry of SMT again with actual production values. Great art direction, solid combat. Tons of content. Played the shit out of it, bought all the story DLC, and bought the art book too. No regrets. Based Atlus, etc.

2. Zelda A Link Between Worlds ; Never thought I would ever play a fun 2D top down Zelda without touch controls again. Game's generally on the easy side, and I not a huge fan of the item rental/buying system which takes away the satisfaction of finding them in the world or dungeons, but even with that said, the dungeons were a ton of fun and the overworld exploration is one of the best in the series so far.

3. Grand Theft Auto V ; I think Rockstar has perfected what I personally enjoy out of open world action games. The exploration, the feel of the world and how everything comes together was so great. Playing the single player campaign was an amazing experience. Too bad the terrible implementation and support of the online mode left a bad taste in my mouth afterwards.

4. Papers Please ; One of the most creative and evocative indie games I've played. Really smart ideas, really fun and unique gameplay, and an experience which is so different from the norm it is truly memorable. Some of the supporting gameplay systems are rather rough around the edges, but it doesn't detract much from the game for me.

5. Volgarr the Viking ; An excellent oldschool action platformer with really tight controls, excellent level design, and really fun combat. Good stages, good bosses, a good amount of variety in content for replayability, and offers a ton of challenge which feels really satisfying.

6. Metal Gear Rising ; Probably the most fun Metal Gear game since MGS3. Platinum Games managed to knock this one out of the park. Fun and fast controls, lots of moves, excellent bosses. They didn't have a ton of time to make the game either. If they did, maybe the last two stages wouldn't feel kinda phoned in, but whatever, still fun as hell.

7. Guacemelee Gold ; Only recently played this. I guess it's worth a mention. Certainly better than a number of other games I played last year which I don't feel would make a GOTY list. The stage design is pretty good, and better than Outland, which is the game this reminds me of most. But I still prefer the way Outland handled combat and bosses. A lot of the combat scenarios here feel too similar and redundant, and while you get a lot of moves, most of them don't really amount to much in combat, and are more useful in the platforming.

Moff

1. The Legend of Zelda: A Link between worlds ; For most the best zelda game in over ten years, for me even better than ALTTP, outstanding game that will be replayed a lot

2. Papers Please
; who would have thought that passport control could be so interesting, atmospheric and fascinating, great pixel art style too, loved it

3. Call of Juarez: Gunslinger ; best gunplay of the year goes to this incredibly fun and satisfying shooter

4. Bioshock : Infinite
; worst gunplay of the year goes to Infinite, its unusal for me to rate a game with bad gameplay that high, as I am a gameplay person. but I absolutely adored the story and the art and world design of this game.

5. Shadow Warrior ; Started out extremely fun, got quite repetitive over time, still one of the best games in the late retro fps revival

6. Volgarr the Viking ; Dark souls in 2d, hard an unforgiving, but never unfair

7. Shadowrun Returns ; my first kickstarter game and it met my expecations. the start of a new era for me

8. Grand Theft Auto V ; Incredibly fun in the beginning, but gets tiring and boring soon, just like a real GTA

9. The Last of Us
; I am not a fan of the genre of the interactive movie, but I admit, if you are, the Last of Us must be your game of the year, its excellent at what it wants to be.

10. Divinity : Dragon Commander ; as usual with Larian games, amazing ideas and poor execution. I still liked it and finished it.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
hrrrrm, deadline looms. didn't get around to playing a lot of indie stuff I wanted to, but such is life. If I listed Dragons Dogma last year, is it eligible to include Dark Arisen in my list this year, because thats sizable extra content and...?

AngryMoth

Gah, meant to post my list weeks ago but haven't found time to do write ups on all my picks. Will post now so I don't miss the deadline, might come back and add more comments tomorrow.

1. The Last of Us ; Not an uncommon choice it seems! To me the most impressive thing about this game was that they managed to make the gameplay sequences feel like a continuation of the story being told in the cutscenes. Well, not all the time, but compared to say Bioshock Infinite it is night and day. My main complaint relates to how they could have done this even better which is by lowering the number of encounters where you are forced to kill everyone, since you still get the problem of Joel killing several hundred people of the course of the game. I played as stealthily as I could and would have appreciated the option to bypass more enemies rather than having to systematically go around choking out everyone in the area. But aside from that I don’t have any major problems with the game, it’s pretty damn good.

The story, isn’t much to say that hasn’t already been said. One of the very few instances where it is not just good for a video game, but for any medium and it has some genuinely moving moments. Had to think about the ending for a while and whether I liked it or not but I came around in the end. Hope they don’t do a sequel as this is an example of a perfectly self contained story.

I do feel the need to talk about the combat though since it seems to be pretty divisive. Personally I loved it. The game offers a lot of options for how to dispose of enemies and on harder difficulties it really forces you to use all of them, which prevents it from feeling too repetitive and gives it a very frantic, desperate feeling fitting of the game’s tone. Also, I am so glad that I did my first play through on hard with listen mode turned off, I feel quite strongly that it was meant to be played that way as it really does feel like a survival game as opposed to just 3rd person shooter with a bit of stealth. For me it was balanced perfectly so that I was almost always low on ammo but almost never ran out. Having watched people play it on normal it’s a different experience when you don’t have the tension of really needing to make every shot count, having to every item at your disposal to make it out alive.

So yeah, Last of Us is my goty. It’s not perfect but it felt like a step forward for AAA in terms of storytelling and a step forward for Naughty Dog in terms of game design.

Oh, and the multiplayer is great as well.

2. Papers, Please ; Excellently weaves gameplay and story which is one of the most difficult things to get right. Far more ambitious in its message than most games and manages to execute very effectively. Also even though the gameplay is intentionally tedious it is also oddly satisfying if you make it through a day with no penalties.

3. Rouge Legacy ;

4. Pokemon X ; I will freely admit that my enjoyment of Pokemon is considerably inflated by nostalgia but whatever, still some of the most fun I had this year. I thought some of the new designs were actually pretty great this time that coupled with the high number of older gen pokemon available made for one of the best entries in the series for some time. The lack of post game content was disappointing but they somewhat made up for it with the more fleshed out main quest.

5. Zelda: A Link Between Worlds ;

6. Luigi’s Mansion 2 ;

7. Gone Home ;

8. The Stanley Parable ;

9. Resogun ;

2012. Crusader Kings 2 ; Was going to with Dark Souls which is the game I played the most this year but instead I’ll go with the one I spent the 2nd most time playing. Got into ck2 thanks to the fantastic idle thumbs stream. Really love how they are able to weave the politics and plotting with the more traditional military conquest side of things, and how I end up getting invested in characters even though I’m basically just staring at a map most of the time. Very addictive game. Bought EUIV but it won’t run well enough on my mbp, hoping to get some time to play it soon.

demidar

I love your format, I need to work on my .gif and image skills!

You totally should, before I did my list I didn't know how to make gifs either
though I cheaped out using Gifcam, I didn't want to download hours worth of footage just for 2-3 seconds and blow my quota with AGDQ looming. Still had to edit them of course which took a while.
and I learned how to use GIMP from the ground up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom