• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2014 - Voting Thread [voting closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was one of the weakest years I can remember. None of the home consoles got going yet, 3DS dropped the ball. I might have come up with 10 titles for this, but many just don't deserve it. Not sure whether I can name a honorable mention without the normal list being full, but I wouldn't know if I'd number my last entry. I'm hopeful for 2015 though, it finally seems to accumulate more refreshing titles and both REmake and Majoras Mask are certainly better remasters than ports from last year.

5aF4HbA.png

1. Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney ; This game has finally granted my wish, or rather, it came closest to it. When it comes to Professor Layton, I have only finished The Curious Village and it was a mixed bag, to say the least. I could hardly consider it a videogame. If it wasn't for some few story scenes and minimal interaction between the incoherent puzzles, it would have been as little of a fullfledged video game as playing Windows Solitaire or solving crossword puzzles in your browser. On the other hand, the presentation was very unique and beautiful. Hence I was always hoping I'd eventually see the great presentation and premise in a proper adventure game. And so, the time has finally come. While I've also taken a glance at the other 3DS Layton titles, which have seemingly improved, they also still seem to contain too many of the problems. The combination with another series' has not only done wonders, but a few complaints you hear here and there, about supposedly ,,dumbed down'' puzzles, also actually happen to be one of this title's strong points. The Layton parts of this game are not about generic calculating puzzles and the likes anymore, but solving a variety of challenges, which mostly correlate with the story context instead of featuring abstract brainteasers, only for the sake of it. This finally feels like an Adventure title with actual progression.

But it obviously also still has the Layton atmosphere. The game already starts with a great scenery of nighttime London and generally looks really good. Seeing footage of this after Ace Attorney 5 was a little perplexing, since the latter just looked that amazing. But other than not being up on par with the best looking cartoon game on the system, this game still looked fine for what it is. The art direction is great and looks especially good with 3D on. Technically, I'd only have minor complaints, like some character's hands looking a little too polygonal, but there's no major complaints, despite Ace Attorney 5 setting the bar a little higher. Also, mixing the character design styles of each series works well enough, even though this was always going to be a little awkward. But then there also is the music. And what can you say about music in a Level-5 game? This is definitely a strong one too. The title theme alone might as well be from some Ghibli fantasy adventure flick. The rest is yet again both mysterious and classical, while the Phoenix Wright parts are not only great too, but the musical style there has also been altered to fit the tone of the story. Yet the tracks during the crucial moments in court also still remain an imposing tone. If there's one problem, it's that the German voice acting, which I apparently couldn't change without changing my whole system's settings, was pretty awful. Can't speak for the other languages, but I wouldn't be surprised if only the English cast wasn't bad. Thankfully there wasn't much voice work.

Speaking more directly about Phoenix Wright, this series also benefits very much from this crossover. From this series' point of view, the text heavy encounters in court are now more unburdened, through the more challenge- and somewhat exploration based adventure sections, instead of solely continuing the talking sections in other areas. Ace Attorney 5 especially went even more into visual novel territory and dumbed the gameplay down a little too much in places. That was also the case in court, which has now been handled much better in this title. In Ace Attorney 5's court room sections, the penalty system (which was always kind of iffy) was turned obsolete, with automatic checkpoints at each corner and instant retrys, making random guessing for the right answers and evidence acceptable. In this crossover, they also eased the somewhat archaic ,game over' system in court, but by introducing the Layton hint coins in it. They can be found by looking through the areas in the exploration parts of the game and either give hints within the ordinary puzzles, but now also highlight the points that should be investigated during a court session, once you are stuck. Other than that, the new mechanic of mob cross examinations, in which more than person is questioned and several testimonies have to be combined, also freshens the court gameplay of the series a little more than what was introduced in the latest Phoenix Wright games. One minor flaw is that you have to keep track of the people you are currently not talking to, but once they give a crucial reaction, the text can not be fast forward, which makes it obvious when a testimony can be combined. Fortunately, the structure of the court sessions become a little more complex than that during the game.

I've seen some complaints about the story, in particular about the ending, but that was again, in reality, a very good point about this game. On one hand, the game does a great job of introducing mysteries (accomponied by the perfectly fitting atmosphere) and then goes crazy with it at the end. It was exactly what I was hoping for and that is being absolutely insane. Sure, maybe it was also close to being nonsensical, but one must not forget that this is a crossover between Professor Layton and Phoenix Wright. Mixing these two completely different worlds is nonsensical to begin, not to mention putting them into a plot, in which both main characters are trapped in a medieval fantasy land within a magic book. Going batshit during the ending was great, even if some minor things weren't resolved. If there is a problem with the story, it's that both series' sidekicks are still annoying brats. And I guess it got too sentimental at the end, but it's still funny how only Ace Attorney 5 was rated M, yet this title is pretty grim during the early sections too.

In the end, I actually would have prefered if this wasn't a crossover. The two series' mechanics complement each other perfectly, cut the slack on both fronts and take logical enhancements, maybe making it the best on both fronts. Hence, I'd love to get more, but as a crossover one-off, this most likely won't ever happen. I actually didn't care all that much about the fact that I've been playing Professor Layton and Phoenix Wright as characters, but more about diving into the great fantastical and mysterious atmosphere, whose plot got also pretty suspenseful. With this game, I got what I actually expected from Level 5's Ninokuni, which instead had Level 5 falling flat on their faces. With that and the now varied, yet not action orientated gameplay style, this might as well have been a new ,,fantasy detective'' IP or something of that kind that isn't as shallow as the Layton puzzle collections. Still, at the very least we've got this absolutely amazing game, which will not be run into the ground by Level 5 within two years as a standalone series.

l9lVvcZ.png

2. Shin Megami Tensei IV ; Will you look at this, the EU peasants have now actually been allowed to play this. Even though I don't like digital and should rather support the localisation efforts of NIS, I still delved into this right away, because of the 20€ price tag. Hence, I regret nothing. Well, because of that and because this game, regardless of the shitty localisation behaviour by whoever is responsible at Atlus, still is amazing.

Personally, I don't care how good the Persona subseries is supposed to be, I can't stand the immediately generic looking anime teens and dating aspects. The great thing about Megaten usually, and still also about SMT4, is, that it still offers both settings and plots that don't consist of tired anime cliches and their modern tropes, which are overly present in what are currently the more popular stories from Japan. There's no melodrama, there's no wacky animal sidekick, there's no emo mcgee with hair combed through his face (even though one or two main characters still look a little dumb, but it's not too offensive in general). And thank god for that. But the series also usually goes with somewhat fresh scenarios. Even bad entries like Digital Devil Saga at least have that going for themselves. Well, you might have already seen some kind of wicked Tokyo, but it's also been a while for this series iirc and SMT4 also has it's own feel going for it. In fact, the atmosphere is amazing. The story itself is great at building mysteries, but it's also not very flamboyant and doesn't spell too much out for you. So soaking up the world they've created is a big aspect too. And it feels great. Tokyo is grim and the electronic heavy (and generally incredible) soundtrack gives it another unique twist. Meanwhile, even though the story, as I've said, really isn't melodramatic, it doesn't stray from several grave events. The almost stoic nature of the narrative just adds to the weight, especially for some decisions later on.

On the other hand, there's still the hilariously bizarre chitchat you can have with the demons you want to recruit for your team. Providing the best kind of comedy, without losing any of the seriousness. Speaking of the monsters, I remember some outrage about enemy models not being 3D, but I can only applaud them for that. Hence the battles are quick and precise. No drawn out attack animations are required. Other than that, there actually has been some very useful streamlining for the gameplay. First of all, no more random encounters. The dungeons feel more open and aren't trapped within the typical maze layout. Also, while fusing your demons, you can now control which skills to keep. That might make it too easy for some hardcore fans, but you probably still need more strategy than in your usual JRPG and it eventualls just feels right in that regard. The only major complaint there is, is the pretty shoddy map system. There's no location names displayed on the map, so you're eventually lost, especially for sidequests asking for specific locations. Thankfully, the progression for the main quest is somewhat linear and you won't have a problem for that one. In fact, you don't even need to rely on meticulously working through sidequests, since thankfully each new area has demons giving you more than enough EXP. While this game unfortunately doesn't have any kind of puzzles, you'll at least be very busy throughout regardless, since you'll be leveling very often and requiring new demons, hence there's always new strategy management for you awaiting.

However, even though the progression of the main story on the overworld is pretty linear, that doesn't mean that there's no exploration. Within the locations you can enter, you'll have lots of room to explore. Many places feel overwhelming on your first visit, in a good way, but aren't as big and empty as certain WRPGS nowadays. It's the perfect balance.

ZeaA5aL.png

3. South Park: The Stick of Truth ; This was a surprise on several levels. On one hand, because it's hilarious. I've been watching the show for way over a decade and oh man, has it gotten mediocre after season 10 or 11. Despite some funny episodes here and there, they often seem to have forgotten what makes something funny. At season 12, they just started making poor parodies of the latest blockbuster, or some other pop culture topics no one gives a damn about two months later already. In many cases, it has become mostly references, or having two jokes ready, which are merely repeated throughout an entire episode. Other than that, there's eventually some commentating on things that happen in the news, but they usually forget to add a funny storyline nowadays. So the first surprise was that this game actually feels like classic South Park. Sure, some gags are almost copied from the early show, but even recycled jokes from back in the day are so much better than what they do today. And so are most videogame related jokes in this. I'm also glad that I've imported the US version. I wouldn't have wanted to miss the jokes cut in EU. And, of course, for a longtime fan, there's simply tons of fan service at every corner. I already laughed merely at spotting Alabama Man from some really dumb live action skit in an early episode. The ending is also perfect. It might be funny on it's own, but if you know the show, the final words are perfection, as you've almost thought they wouldn't come. The only thing that gets a little tedious are the repeated voice samples for the enemies in the second half of the game.

The other surprise was, that the game itself is also incredibly good. First off, the battle system, that was clearly made with the Super Mario RPGs in mind, doesn't even come close to the latter. But thankfully the rest is excellent. This might be my favorite WRPG, as it not only has a unique setting for once (because, well, it's South Park), but also because exploration actually feels meaningful and it's tons of fun. The town itself is pretty open from the very beginning, but it's not just some giant, empty space, like in certain other games. To the contrary, South Park is compact and filled with secrets and tons of stuff to discover. Some fetch quest might be tedious on their own, but they naturally unfold as you explore, adding to the motivation. What you find is not only fan service, but actually pretty useful in most cases. Finding hidden characters not only makes a fan smile, but also gives you an ingame Facebook addition, which helps your stats. There's also other collectables, but even in the worst case, you should at least find something like outfits for the character customization.

There's also some Metroidvania-esque elements, giving you new gameplay abilities over the course of the game, which open up new secrets and locations. And while the battle system might not be spectacular, the variety in environments, puzzles and mechanics is pretty big. In fact, there's many neat surprises until the end. Some environmental puzzles also play into the battles itself, which shakes things up. Unfortunately, this game was a little glitchy and somewhat technically unpolished in a bunch of places, at least on PS3. I think I had to reboot the console once or twice, even. It's a shame, but other than that, all thumbs up for this game, in particular for longtime South Park fans. Might even make you forget how they've been pushing Pewdiepie in your face recently.

noME9Xh.png

4. Bayonetta 2 ; To my surprise, I had to find out that the first Bayonetta was probably the weakest Kamiya game. The battle system was obviously good, but there were so many cheap spots. Tons of instant-death QTEs and similar stage events out of nowhere, some annoying enemy tactics and horrid shooting sections bringing the experience down. It didn't make you feel any better that the game was basically giving you the finger with bad rankings, which were only poor because of the cheap parts instead of your skill.

Now there is Bayonetta 2. It basically took the first game and removed all that crap. Not only is the cheapness gone, but it also has a much better art direction and graphics in general, the adventure parts at the beginning are more adventurey, the enemies are more varied and the game simply is bigger and better than the first. The intro might already be one of the best, if not the best I've seen in an action game. The combat is slightly faster and more fluid, the controls are more repsonsive and feel better. Iirc there's a couple more weapons than the original, giving you a great variety in combat, which should offer fighting styles for almost every taste and situation. Since you can hold two weapons at once, there's also quite a bit of experimentation possible. And you want to do that, since while some button combos stay the same, the effects can often be very different per weapon of choice. The only bad part that remains is that while there's some decent secrets, there's also some really tedious backtracking remaining if you're going for 100% (which also includes getting the highest ranks), which adds nothing to the core gameplay. Well, that and maybe a too heavy focus on the story. Some unskippable story events are unfortunate for multiple playthroughs, although the story is surprisingly decent. On one hand, it's as beautifully cheesy, over the top and stereotypical as you'd expect, but it also isn't just some new story arc, but really fits well into the story line of the first game. Unfortunately, while the beginning and the later parts are more spectacular than almost the entirety of Bayonetta 1, especially because the final chapters ramp up quite a bit, it kinda halts in the middle, with some not very interesting stage designs. But, although there might a little too heavy focus on free floating mechanics, the bosses are at least interesting throughout, especially since they are now mostly testing your skills instead of only being imposing.
The replay value is there and I guess you can't really get too much better within this series, even though I might still prefer the battle system from Ninja Gaiden 2 and the variety of a God Hand shows that the halt in the middle wasn't necessary, even though the game still is very varied, more than the first title anyway.

4kGFrnt.png

5. Mario Kart 8 ;
Oh wow, here it is. The first somewhat ambitious Nintendo title in HD, finally offering what I've always expected from them in that area. Even though the gameplay is very similar to Mario Kart 7, this title at least offers one other important aspect that would make a new generation title worthwhile: great presentation. Because the tragedy of Wii U is not only that Nintendo for the first time did almost nothing significantly new with gameplay and as little genre/franchise variety as ever before, but despite this finally being their jump into HD, their games also don't look impressive. All these 2D titles and minigames might as well be their recent predecessors running on Dolphin, to a more casual gamer's eye anyway. Cheap rehash after cheap rehash (and droughts inbetween). But I guess sub-Dreamcast sales for the machine are telling the whole story well enough. And the first sales success comes from the title that actually looks like some effort was put into it. Who would have thought that? Although Nintendo's lighting effects are still a little too abstruse here and there, this is still a fine looking game. Not only on a technical level, but finally a proper art direction from Nintendo has been realized in HD, making it look not too much worse than cartoony games on stronger platforms. There's tons of imagination and details everywhere. The courses of this title are in fact showing what the painfully uninspired and soulless looking Mario platformers on WiiU should have been instead. But hey, at least it's in one game now. They've also designed completely new vehicle parts, almost none recycled from Mario Kart 7, again featuring tons of detail and care put into it.

Unfortunately, they didn't do much with the anti gravity gameplay, compared to some crazy track designs from Mario Kart Wii and 7 (utilizing their new mechanics much more). But at least the core gameplay remained good. Mario Kart 7 might be a little better balanced still, but this certainly is no disaster like the chaos that was Mario Kart Wii. Experienced players certainly won't lose to anyone significantly less skilled than themselves, but it might get a little wacky again, once everyone's on the same skill level. The new item balance seems better at first, since you'll mostly be getting boosts (making course knowledge more important) and it's not possible anymore to stay behind on purpose for better luck. But since it's 12 players again, instead of 8, your biggest enemy won't be blue shells anymore, but tons of (now bigger?) green shells and all that small stuff spammed in the midfield. While it's often possible for the first place to build a ridiculous lead. Still, that also brings some tactical thinking into the competitive matches. The online is okay, I've put about 100 hours into it as of now and the eventual frustration is, again, at the very least much smaller than in the Wii iteration. The more demanding side of Mario Kart is back, even though that already was the case with 7. The kart customization has a lesser impact, since it was also already in the latter, but thankfully it stayed, allowing for all kinds of driving styles. And there doesn't seem to be any imbalanced combo, excluding the fact that heavy characters are probably prefered. But at least it's only details like these and I don't have to kill my thumbs through snaking to keep up.

Speaking of the online modes, the DLC is pretty good at a fair price and patches fixed some of the early problems, which only highlighted once again that the WiiU gamepad was a dumb idea. The public online mode was a little bad for a while, but thankfully also got fixed alongside the DLC update and some awkward menu problems/missings were also fixed. Personally, I never cared about battle modes, but I guess technically they could at least bring back the mission mode from Mario Kart DS. But I've put enough hours into this, even without the singleplayer content. Also, the retro courses are for the first time pretty extensive and altered, so they could in many cases be legitimately all-new content too.

Honorable Mentions

IYjUA2S.png

x. The Evil Within ;
It's funny how the foundation of this supposed psychological horror title is as schizophrenic as it gets. And by that I mean, I've probably never seen a game that can go from being amazing to being rancid trash and back again so quickly. First of all, they have completely failed to deliver on the supposed ,,return to survival horror'', not to mention the promised ,,nostalgic'' horror, unless you started gaming with Resident Evil 4 (which has significantly damaged the genre to begin with). Out of fifteen chapters, only one is true survival horror. However, there still are several excellent parts of action horror. Chapters 7 to 10, as well as 13 and 14 have many menacing locations and encounters, providing lots of tension. To my surprise, chapter 1 was pretty great too. In videos it looked like some dumbed down cinema sequence, but then it was pretty suspenseful and I was ready to eat crow. Unfortunately, then the rest followed. Most chapters that give you a partner are awful. Best case you get a poor man's Resident Evil 4. But in chapter 6, or 11 and 12, you feel like you might as well be playing Resident Evil 5+6. God knows, that's the very last thing you want to be reminded of in a Mikami game. And that has nothing to do with high difficulty, which was good, but these parts simply are unbearably generic and nothing but the most mediocre corridor shooting. Take these sections out and you would have gotten a rock solid to even brilliant action horror title. It would have also still been a long game, so I don't get why these awful parts are in there. But I guess that's what happens when Mikami clearly wasn't happy to work on this kind of thing in his new company (some of his recent interviews... yikes). Still, there's at least also a pretty good new game+ and unlockables, which were unfortunately missing in the otherwise superior Vanquish.

slowpantz

Neo Member
1. Bayonetta 2 ; A near flawless experience. Loved all the costumes, and new weapons.
2. Mario Kart 8 ; Amazing tracks, soundtrack, and charm. One of the few games my girlfriend likes too.
3. South Park: Stick of Truth ; Love the humor of this one, and it was combined with a fun game!
4. Sunset Overdrive ; I found myself traversing the city for hours aimlessly....all while having an amazing time. The game drips with style.
5. Super Smash Bros. For WiiU ; Huge roster, amazing visuals, and lots of screaming at friends in the middle of the night.
6. World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor ; I never thought this expansion would draw me back in so hard. Love all the new additions.
7. Evil Within ; Really liked the world and atmosphere this game presented me with.
8. Wolfenstein: The New Order ; Hard not to like a game where you can dual-wield shotguns.
9. Hyrule Warriors ; First 'Warriors' title I have played since Dynasty Warriors 3, and was pleasantly surprised. Adventure mode rocks.
10. Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze ; This game kicks my butt.

1. Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
2. Dark Souls 2
3. 1001 Spikes
4. The Last of Us: Remastered
5. Guilty Gear Xrd
6. Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls
7. Divinity: Original Sin
8. Ultra Street Fighter 4

That is about all I can think of. Pretty slow year.

Kuro

1. Dark Souls 2 ; Fantastic game that got too much hate for lighting downgrade and not being as good as Dark Souls. The challenging gameplay and wonderful world aesthetic and lore had me playing this for hours on end.

2. Bayonetta 2 ; Best stylish hack n slash since the last Bayonetta, Platinum managed to one up the previous game in the series and made an amazing action game.

3. Mario Kart 8 ;

4. Infamous: Second Son ;

5. Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth ;

6. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U ;

7. Bravely Default ;

8. Alien: Isolation ;

9. Transistor ;

10. Velocity 2X ;

hiryu

1. Dark Souls 2 -not as good as the first but still fantastic.
2. Destiny - Did not live up to the hype but it still is a great time and is the best feeling fps I've ever played.
3. Hearthstone - Endlessly playable. The expansion is fantastic and added some much needed change to the meta.
4. Binding of Isaac:Rebirth - not as good as the original but still really fun.
5. Dragon Age Inquisition - I still haven't really dug into this but I love what I've played so far.
6. Shadows of Mordor - I'm really sick of open world games but this does it well and the nemesis system is great.
7. Warlords of Draenor - Good enough to get me to resubscribe for a month after not having played for 3 years. Not good enough to reignite the addiction.

I don't think I've played anything else this year. My game time was mostly Dark Souls 2 and Dark Souls 1 until Destiny came out.

Late Flag

1. The Last of Us: Remastered ; I hate having a re-release as my GOTY, but if it's eligible I have to vote for it. It was still the best game I played this year and I had a blast re-platinuming it. Multiplayer was also lots of fun with the new maps.
2. The Evil Within ; Resident Evil 4 is my GOAT, and several parts of this game felt like they would have been right at home in RE4. The overall quality was certainly inconsistent, especially over the last few chapters, but it scratched that itch for me.
3. Outlast ; I had been looking forward to this ever since it was announced as a Plus title before launch. Not disappointed in the least.
4. Driveclub ; Horrible launch, but much improved now. I'm planning to spend more time with this.
5. Grand Theft Auto V ; Another re-release, but this one seems more like what the game was originally supposed to be, with a last-gen port, than a true re-release.
6. Don't Starve, Console Edition ; This one caught me completely by surprise.
7. Infamous Second Son ; Eye candy, but the gameplay wasn't quite as tight as previous installments.
8. Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor ; Playing it now and enjoying it. I just don't see it leapfrogging any of the other games I've already listed.
9. Diablo III Ultimate Evil Edition ; Another one that I'm sure I'll come back to during the next dry spell.
10. Lone Survivor ; Short but sweet. There's a musical number and cut-scene around halfway through the game that for some strange reason was my most memorable moment in a game this year, so it goes on my list.

That's a lot of remasters and console ports. Here's hoping for a stronger 2015.

IKizzLE

1. Bayonetta 2; Greatest character action game I've ever played.
2. Smash 4; Best smash outside of Melee.
3. Last of Us Remastered; Only reason it isn't number 1 is because I played it at launch last year.
4. DriveClub; One of the best simcade racers I've played and the spirtual successor to PGR4.
5. Destiny; Despite its flaws, I played this game the most this year. Pure addiction.
6. Infamous Second Son; Solid action game with some of the most satisfying traversal options anywhere.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
1. Dragon Age Inquisition ; My first Dragon Age game and I immediately fell in love with the characters and environment. I rarely 100% games, or play single player games after beating them once, but I could see myself squeezing as much enjoyment from this game as possible.
RjsPqkE.gif

2. Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare ; The best online multiplayer shooter I have played since Shadowrun for the 360. It's a breath of fresh air and it manages to be incredibly fun and addicting. Also props for featuring a splitscreen hoard mode - allowed me to convince my GF that online games can be fun.
CFbwPyK.gif

3. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze ; My first Donkey Kong Country game and I loved it. It might be the best platformer I have ever played. It has an excellent mix of being difficult, rewarding, charming and fun. The level design is absolutely genius.
UOVO9bx.gif

4. Mario Kart 8 ; Made me fall in love with Mario Kart all over again. Also props for having the best DLC I have ever seen.

5. Sunset Overdrive ; The humor can be in your face a bit at times but I liked it because in addition to not taking itself seriously, it also dares to change up the standard 3rd person shooter gameplay. It's certainly unique.

6. Titanfall ; I really adored this game but all I kept thinking as I played it was "this would make for a great campaign mode". The combat is amazing and provides for a lot of really ridonkulous moments.

7). Super Smash Bros for Wii U ; It's Smash Bros - felt like it's the same old thing but that's not a bad thing!

These are always difficult because I mainly play "old" games that don't qualify for voting...

1. Bayonetta 2 ;
2. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair ;
3. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc ;
4. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call ;
5. Freedom Wars ;
6. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes ; simply superb gameplay. would be much higher on the list if it had more content.
7. Driveclub ; despite the problems at launch I'm finally having fun with it

sgjackson

Played more stuff this year, but all I really care to give points to is:

1. Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor ; The story was awful and visually it was technically stunning but artistically bland. But that didn't matter when the mishmash of competent mechanics came together to give you an incredible story about that one fucking asshole Orc who learned how to sniff you out and brought his friends to hunt you down relentlessly.

2. Mario Kart 8 ; Beautiful graphics and an amazing soundtrack are the foundation for the best Mario Kart game ever.

3. Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft ; Blizzard captured what's amazing about Magic in such a way that's appealing to both hardcore streaming and e-sports fans and casual players.

4. Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls ; I'm not one of those people who sunk thousands of hours into Diablo 2, but even I could see removing the AH from a competent action game was a massive improvement in terms of fun.

Wok

1. Nidhogg ; The only game which I can enjoy with non-gamer friends.
2. Sportsfriends ; A bit similar to Nidhogg, but slightly less deep.
3. The Walking Dead: Season Two: Episodes 2-5
4. Tales from the Borderlands: Episode 1: Zer0 Sum
5. FTL: Advanced Edition
6. Escape Goat 2 ; The level design and the game progression is really clever.
7. BattleBlock Theater ; I was skeptical at first, but the game is indeed really enjoyable, it feels fresh.
8. The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
9. Dark Souls II ; A lot more enjoyable than the first one.
10. Scrolls

1. DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc ; For someone who's never really played a visual novel like this before, DanganRonpa is a slow start. The setting seems a little contrived, the characters seem a bit one-note. But once the bodies start hitting the floor, oh man. Easily the most memorable gaming experience I had this year, so much so that once I was done it was a no-brainer to just keep going...

2. DanganRonpa 2: Goodbye Despair ; On some level, this feels like cheating. In terms of pure gameplay, DR2 isn't really that different from DR1, and they came out close enough to each other that you could almost consider them two parts of a suite. But they are two separate games and two separate stories. And ultimately, DR2's appeal lies in how it takes what became a familiar formula with DR1 and twisted it. Goodbye Despair managed to surprise not in spite of its similarities to DR1, but because of them. And it still has the best murder case in the series thus far, hands down, no question.

3. South Park: The Stick of Truth ; I played a bunch of RPGs this year, but none felt as complete a package as South Park did. As an encapsulation of the show's ethos, it was perfect, playing to the South Park fanbase without pandering or relying too much on obscure inside jokes. As a game, it was full of neat surprises; Terence and Philip in particular is the sort of genre-bending exercise I wish more games did. About the only criticisms I can level at the game is a) anal probe jokes are still juvenile and dumb, and b) it's extremely linear.

4. Wolfenstein: The New Order ; When I first heard about The New Order, it sounded like yet another forgettable attempt to resurrect a long-dead franchise (the Return to Castle Wolfenstein-based offshoots always felt like their own thing). Pulpy sci-fi elements aside, there was precious little to indicate The New Order would be such a good game. As a shooter, Wolfenstein falls squarely into Half-Life territory, and unlike most entries in the genre it seems unusually invested in proper narrative pacing. The moments where you get to breathe and reflect on your predicament make the big setpieces all the more effective. The game secretly also has one of the best story reveals ever, and that's all I'll say about that.

5. Elite: Dangerous ; I backed this game on Kickstarter, but I have to admit that between its mid-December release date and the unfortunate decision to remove the offline mode from the game (which is still kind of shitty FYI), I was not expecting to like this game as much as I have over the past week. I now know why people call Euro Truck Simulator 2 the Elite of truck sims. Trying to eke out a living amongst the stars is strangely compelling, even though all I've done so far is truck commodities back and forth. It's (nearly) everything I wanted from Eve Online.

6. Infamous: Second Son ; After two Infamous games with major flaws, Sucker Punch has finally nailed the basic formula. The open-world gameplay provides just enough to do to give you reasons to stray from the critical path, but not so much that you constantly feel overwhelmed by dumb collect-a-thons or meaningless fetch quests. Speaking of Fetch (see what I did there), Second Son also has the most likable cast of characters in an Infamous game yet. After the insult that was the ongoing catfight between two characters in Infamous 2, Second Son was a breath of fresh air.

7. Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky ; Atelier games are my comfort food the way other people have Call of Duty or Madden. Every year, the formula gets tweaked in ways that don't seem that significant to outsiders but mean a lot to series veterans, and part of the joy is figuring out how to break each new Atelier game to your will. Escha & Logy's plot pacing is a little odd, so the game falls short of the heights Ayesha reached, but the alchemy system is somehow even more addictive. Maybe one day I'll experience Atelier fatigue, but it doesn't look like it'll happen anytime soon.

8. Bayonetta 2 ; The way Platinum and Nintendo tell it, this game basically wouldn't exist had Nintendo not thrown money at it. I'm glad Nintendo did, because the world can always use more stylish action games from Platinum. Something about the way Bayonetta 2 plays just feels right; it's a game that gently discourages from me from my predilection for button-mashing, forcing me to become a better player but not slapping me in the face with overwhelming difficulty.

9. Jazzpunk ; Comedy games had a great year, thanks in large part to South Park, but we can't forget this gem. Completely absurd, faintly psychedelic, and oftentimes baffling, the only way to play Jazzpunk is to hold on tight and go with the flow. Proving the dictum that some comedy is great because of the lengths someone will go for a good joke, one of my favourite bits is the surprisingly involved Quake parody, Wedding Qake. (One of these days I'm gonna win, goddammit.)

10. Persona Q: Shadows of the Labryinth ; Oh hey, it's an Etrian Odyssey game I didn't drop within the first few hours because it couldn't keep my attention for some reason. Putting the Persona 3 and 4 casts in something has been a great recipe for getting me to play genres I'm not normally into (though I have enjoyed dungeon crawlers before so whatever). Persona Q is the most successful of these offshoots so far, though. It helps that the game contains eerie echoes of past Persona games--not 3 and 4, but the lost universe of 1 and 2. The five-player setup and the return of multiple physical damage types reminds me a lot of Persona 2: Innocent Sin, making Persona Q a surprisingly good amalgamation of Persona and Etrian Odyssey games through the ages.

Honourable Mentions
x. Dragon Age: Inquisition ; The game has issues, but in many ways Inquisition feels like the true sequel to Origins, while Dragon Age 2 feels like a side story in the same universe. It's sufficiently epic in scope, with some genuinely exciting twists and turns. I chose to make the Mages as my allies and the corresponding quest is one of the best things Bioware has ever made. The Winter Palace was a great idea too, even if the execution didn't quite work out.

x. Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare ; Garden Warfare was maybe the biggest surprise of the year for me. I didn't expect such a goofy concept to bear such fruit. These sorts of bizarre genre transplants with pseudo-licensed properties (EA owns Plants vs. Zombies but it feels like a license here) rarely work, so it's amazing that Garden Warfare is my favourite multiplayer game of the year. The only thing keeping me from dropping it into my top 10 is that I simply don't play many multiplayer games anymore, and the game is relatively limited in terms of maps and modes. Still, give me this over Titanfall any day.

gta5_logo1-400x300.jpg

1.Grand Theft Auto 5 (PS4/XBO) ; Boasting a new first person mode, improved graphics, added music, and extra side activities GTA 5 was the game I spent the most time with this year. From gunfights to just cruising down Vespucci beach while listening to the radio, GTA is an amazing piece of entertainment. Rockstar has set the bar on what a open world game should be and how a remastered game should be made.

GetImage.aspx

2. Valiant Hearts; The Great War; Valiant Hearts is a charming game. One of the things VH does best is its storytelling. Its been a while since a game made me develop an emotional connection with its characters and this game does a great job of doing that.

South-Park-Stick-of-Truth.jpg

3. South Park: The Stick Of Truth; I was pleasantly surprised by SoT. From its humor to its art style to the numerous Easter eggs about events from the show SoT was one of the best RPG games to come out this year.

62089c34949ad0079a376ed9354d60fb-wolfenstein-the-new-order.jpg

4. Wolfenstein: The New Order; TNO featured great character development, voice acting, and gunplay. In addition TNO had an enjoyable take on alternate timelines.

2a406ca967185e388636bcd83e5a50a0-bayonetta-2.jpg

5. Bayonetta 2; Really enjoyed the over the top fast paced gameplay. And being bundled with Bayonetta 1 was just icing on the cake.

assassins_creed_4_freedom_cry_1.jpg

6. Assassin's Creed: Freedom Cry; A mix between Django Unchained and Assassins Creed. Great story telling and an entertaining ride from start to finish.

GetImage.aspx

7. The Vanishing Of Ethan Carter; Graphically beautiful, great moments of tension, and excellent sound design.

header.jpg

8. Sherlock Holmes:Crime & Punishment; Great detective game filled with many interesting puzzles. The game LA Noire should have been.

6c63-cde9-415b-9ffd-3e910bce62d1.jpg

9. Wasteland 2; Awesome old school RPG. If your a fan of Fallout definitely give this a shot.

thumbnail.php

10. BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea Episode 2; Changes the gameplay formula turning the game more into a survival horror than first person shooter.

nkarafo

Most of my gaming in 2014 involves my backlog of older games. And i still haven't played Alien Isolation :(

But from the ones i played, these are my favorites:

1 - Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. I just love the level design and Soundtrack.

2 - Mario Kart 8: The most graphically impressive game for me so far at 60fps (i don't care if its "the simple art style", i just love watching it) and i absolutely loved the remade retro levels.

3 - GTA5: Probably the best game i played but the ugly frame rate brought it down a bit.

4 - South Park Stick of Truth: I'm a huge South Park fan so this doesn't need more explanation.

Mik317

Mik317's GOTY List: A much stronger year than anticipated or how the second half of this year kicked ass.

[

1. Super Smash Bros for Wii U ; This had GOTY on lock and lived up to that expectation and more. Each Smash Series game has been my favorite game of each of its console and well..Smash Wii U is no exception. Is it Flawless? Nah, The single player modes are a bit lacking. However for me that is it. The soundtrack is gldk, the characters and stages are fun to play with, Online really works (get dat dongle tho) and it validated the Wii U for me and then some. Smash Wii U is great.

2. Persona Q ; I love Persona 4. I think it is my favorite game of all time. But I don't think it was just the game but rather the cast of characters. I played Persona 4 while I was just starting College and it wasn't a great time in my life but this game and it's cast got me out of that shitty period and thus that journey and those characters mean a lot to me. So any adventure featuring them are great to me. It helps that I also like the EQ formula. So yeah expect Dancing All Night to be on my list next year too.

3. Fantasy Life ; This was a surprise. I got it due to the OT and Adult Swim commercials and was pleasantly surprised. It is a really charming and fun game. You put a job system and character customization in your game and I am there pretty much. The writing or translation also deserves props as it is often legit funny.

4. Persona Arena Ultimax ; A lot of what was said for Persona Q goes here too. Ultimax adds to a damn good fighting game with more characters and an easy to play but difficult to master type system that even my scrubtastic skills can play. I also really enjoyed the story and seeing the Persona 3 cast again is also neat...except Ken...Fuck Ken.

5. Bayoneta 2 ; I wanted this to be higher but I sadly haven't had much time to play it.
and yet it still makes my list...that's how good this game is. In my admittedly short time, I can't really think of any flaws. Its fun, controlled chaotic fun that doesn't give a fuck what you think bitch. It is also quietly a really pretty game and the soundtrack is glorious. I hope to play more over the next few days but I can't put it over any of my top 4.

6. Sunset Overdrive ; I bought an Xbone to play this. And while that may have been a brash (or stupid) decision longterm, the game itself is rather fun. No System Warz bullshit but this was the Infamous I think I always wanted. I don't even like any of Insomniac other games either so yeah. The Humor is hit or miss but sometimes pretty funny. It isn't as high as I once thought it would end up but it is a fun ride worth checking out...and is the closet I'll get to a Jet Set game since Sega has betrayed me.... ;_;

7. Guilty Gear Xrd ; This game is gorgeous, sounds amazing and is fun as hell. And this is based of day one (12/23/15) impressions lol.... I have always liked the Guilty Gear series but never was able to play them near release, I probably will still get stomped (CPU is bodying me right now sooo yeah) but this is a great fighter. The soundtrack is gdlk as always but listening to it on headphones had me Ric Flairing out here man. You got a ps4/3 and want a new fighter? Buy this...at the very least you will have something very pretty to show off.

8. Mario Kart 8: This is the best Mario Kart IMO. It is super polished and the the Online (for me) was fantastic. Dat Soundtrack and DLC done right. It should be higher (actually forgot it on my first run through of this list...lol) but I am a friendless loser and I didn't have as much time to play it...as you can see from other games on this list. Like Bayonetta 2, I can't find many faults with this one. They even fixed the Blue Shell bullshit.

9. Freedom Wars ; Another Game I haven't played much of but did enjoy greatly when I did. The Vita and Me has a very strange realationship. I have bought most of the must haves and have "enjoyed" them but never to the point where I wanted to keep playing. Freedom Wars fell into this category too until a few nights ago where I had a 2 hour playtime and really enjoyed it. I never have gotten into the Monster Hunter genre but the world and premise here is very interesting and the fact that there seems to be an actual story helps. The controls are a bit wonky and I could see it getting repetitive but meh..I like it.

10. Destiny ; I know, I know. Destiny was a major disappointment. The story was garbage. The Missions all boiled down to ""protect " Dinklebot as waves of enemies come. And the ending was the worst shit man. The DLC sound awful as fuck too...that being said. I had fun. Playing co-op with a friend was a blast while it lasted. I hope the story and general mission structure gets fixed for the next one but I had fun and at the end of the day that was all I need. I will say I Gamefly'd it so maybe that's why the flaws didn't get to me as much...of all the games on the list, this is the one I probably wouldn't recommend. But I had fun.

Honorable Mentions

x. Drakengard 3 ; I wanted this game on my GOTY list. . Drakengard 3 isn't a great game. As a game it is passable I guess. There was fun to be had, and I had it. Howver the best part of this game to me was the world, the characters and the story. The little booklet that came with the LE (the LE I had forgotten that I ordered lol) was super fucking interesting and had me researching shit alongside the game. The multiple paths and endings and such was super interesting to me and was enough to keep me going through...passable gameplay. I can't really explain it. I also really like the Aoi Eir song..

x. Senran Kagura Shinovi VS ; This is an honorable mention for two reasons...one I didn't play it enough and two I imported it the year before as well as buying it this year. It is super fun and such. But mainly you almost got to admire the Devs unabashed love for T&A. DOA does too but almost seems like it is running away from lately...this tho? Naw Life and Hometown brehs.
x. Pokemon ORAS ; Also just bought it and I feel like remakes shouldn't count..although I didn't care much for Gen 3 and this seems cool. The additions are really really good...hope they keep them around.

Other contenders but didn't make it. NOT HONORABLE MENTIONS
MGS:GZ: I had a blast with it but it is a glorified demo..sorry.
Infamous: The fizzle near the end really ruined it for me.
Hyrule Warriors: Was swallowed up by Smash
Smash 3DS: Nice Effort on a handheld but mediocre stages killed it for me.
NBA2K15: Fuck This Game.....But yet...I am a whore who needs my sugar daddy.

It was a better year than I thought..most of the games came near the end there tho. I don't have as much time or energy to play games like I used too, which makes it hard to really evaluate them. I think this is how it will end up this year.

krishian

1. Divinity OS ; The first game that truly justified backing it on KS for me. Absulutely fantastic combat and a great game all around. Larian finally getting some much overdue recognition.
2. Dark Souls 2 ;
3. Endless Legend ;
4. This War of Mine ;
5. Legend of Grimrock 2 ;
6. Age Of Wonders 3 ;
7. Banished ;
8. Dungeon of the Endless ;
9. Alien: Isolation ;
10. Lords of the Fallen ;

Other notables: Wasteland 2, Ziggurat, Might & Magic X: Legacy, Elite: Dangerous, Door Kickers, Insurgency, The Banner Saga, Shadowrun Dragonfall, Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, The Wolf Among Us, Styx: Master of Shadows, Abyss Odyssey, Blackguards,...

Probably forgot some more, but there have just been so many great games this year!

lucius

1. Dragon Age: Inquisition ; Tons of content with addictive gameplay, dragons to die for, crafting is great love me some plaidweave, best Bioware game since Mass Effect 2.
2. Far Cry 4 ; Runs super smooth on PS4, better than FC3 in every way except story/characters.
3. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze ;
4. Infamous: Second Son ;
5. Watch Dogs ;
6. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker ;
7. The Last of Us: Remastered ;
8. Child of Light ;
9. Velocity 2X ;
10. Transistor ;

Honorable mentions

x. Middle Earth: Shadow of of Mordor

x. Wolfenstein The New Order

Pafnucy

1. Dark Souls 2 ; While I find it to be slightly worse than the original Dark Souls, I still think that it is a top-notch RPG. It improves upon original in graphics, UI and online play. It is also much better PC port than DS1. Apart from that it is good, old Souls experience with it's unforgiving difficulty and mesmerizing boss battles. GOTY for me.

2. Alien: Isolation ; Absolutely loved it. And this comes from someone who doesn't really like horror games that much. Amazing atmosphere, graphics and sound design. A love letter to Ridley Scott's classic movie. The Alien game we deserve.

3. The Wolf Among Us ; Pleasant surprise. I never read the comics it is based on, so I didn't really know what to expect. What I get was another Telltale masterpiece of storytelling. IMO it's much better than second season of Walking Dead. Great story and well written main character won me over.

4. Pro Evolution Soccer 2015 ; Best PES since PES6. Konami finally got their shit right after years of mediocrity. Improved gameplay, graphics, controls and modes. The king is back.

5. South Park: The Stick of Truth ; Funny, well written, perfectly voiced. It looks like South Park and it feels like South Park. Job well done Obsidian.

6. The Banner Saga ; Indy game of the year for me. Great music and art design. Nice combat system. Amazing storytelling and sense of adventure. Can't wait for sequel.

New Dragon Age would probably be somewhere on that list, but I haven't had the chance to play it yet. To many games in backlog.

Steel

Banned
1) Dragon Age Inquisition: My first Dragon Age game and I immediately fell in love with the characters and environment. I rarely 100% games, or play single player games after beating them once, but I could see myself squeezing as much enjoyment from this game as possible.

Most of my gaming in 2014 involves my backlog of older games. And i still haven't played Alien Isolation :(

But from the ones i played, these are my favorites:

1 - Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. I just love the level design and Soundtrack.

Wrong format.
First, the numbering is supposed to be 1. not 1) or 1 -
Second: After the name of the game there's a space and ; not a :

1. Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
2. Dark Souls 2
3. 1001 Spikes
4. The Last of Us: Remastered
5. Guilty Gear Xrd
6. Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls
7. Divinity: Original Sin
8. Ultra Street Fighter 4

That is about all I can think of. Pretty slow year.

1. Sunset Overdrive
2. Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor
3. Plants Vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare
4. Titanfall
5. Peggle 2

Wrong format, you have to comment on at least two games and put a space and a semicolon(;) after the game name.

1. Dark Souls 2 -not as good as the first but still fantastic.
2. Destiny - Did not live up to the hype but it still is a great time and is the best feeling fps I've ever played.
3. Hearthstone - Endlessly playable. The expansion is fantastic and added some much needed change to the meta.

Wrong format: Use ; not - after the game name.

And that's just out of 25 posts.

Qurupeke

1. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U ; Definitely the most hyped game for a while. Brawl was one of the games I played the most on Wii and I loved every bit of it. Waiting for so many years for the Wii U version was really a hard task but fortunately it really paid off. Content wise the game is huge and in my humble opinion, it has the best roster of any (fighting) game. I still have a lot to do with the game but I already love it and as hours pass I'll just enjoy it more. Also, it's the ultimate game for multiplayer. This alone makes it a worthy purchase.

2. Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire ; My first Pokemon game was Emerald and then the rest of the 3rd Generation games followed. Since then I've bought every Pokemon main series game. In other words, the 3rd generation was what made me love the series. ORAS were definitely not a disappointment for me despite some annoyances like the absence of a Battle Frontier and the removal of customisation. These remakes made me more hyped about the 4th gen remakes that eventually will come.

3. Bravely Default ; The inclusion of this game is a "cheat" as I actually included it last year too but it's such a beautiful game I can't do otherwise. Nice characters, a decent story and great mechanics make a fantastic game.

4. Hyrule Warriors ; Definitely my surprise of the year. What seemed like a boring and awful looking game, managed to make me love it more than some installments of the main series. Great game, full of content.

5. Mario Kart 8 ; The greatest looking game for Wii U. Really astonishing and great for multiplayer. The only downside is probably the barren single player and the lack of battles.

6. Super Smash Bros. for 3DS ; Somewhat disappointed from this, especially after the Wii U version. Quite lacking and bad controls but still I enjoyed it. It's really amazing what they managed to do on the small screen.

TheFatMan

I love that I'm seeing a really good mix of games, and game styles this year in the GAF GOTY voting. After reading almost every page I am still not 100% sure what game will win. Last year it was pretty obvious!

I'm glad the voting doesn't end til Jan 16. I have Sunset Overdrive, DA:I and a few others that will be added to my library here at Christmas. Not sure how much I'll get to play them all. Just started Wolfenstein last night.

I don't get a ton of time to play but definitely hoping to have a 6-7 on the list by the time voting ends.

Chris R

1. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor ; The only complaint I'll have about this game is the lack of diversity when it comes to the random open world missions. The story could also use some work, but I'm not entirely done with the game yet so maybe this improves at the very end.

2. World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor ; Server issues at launch soured me on this expansion, but after I was able to actually get in and play I like what I see. I still need to get geared so I can try to experience the raids and other max level content. The leveling was actually fun for the most part, I only disliked a single zone of the 5.

3. Dragon Age: Inquisition ; I've only put 5 hours or so into this but I can already state that it's one of my favorite games from 2014. The return of the tactical camera is nice, even if it isn't perfect in it's implementation. The game also feels a bit dumbed down from Origins but since I'm playing on my PS4 I'm almost ok with it.

4. Desert Golfing ; My most played mobile game this year. So easy to play, but it can be frustrating at times as well. I love the non-stop hole after hole action, but think the game could be improved with some form of "daily challenge" setup that has you playing against others for the best score on a set sequence of holes.

5. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc ; I picked this up on a whim, needing something to play on my Vita. I can't say I'm the biggest fan of certain gameplay elements, but the story makes up for it! Crazy, and in a very good way.

6. Diablo III: Reaper of Souls ; I bought D3 when it came out back in 2012, played through it to completion and uninstalled it. The AH killed the game for me. The new patch and expansion made the game a bunch of fun again though. I also enjoyed playing through the game with some buddies on a 360. I'm hoping Blizzard or some other dev is working on a next gen only Diablo-esque that supports local coop (and maybe some form of inventory management that doesn't prevent everyone else from playing the game? Make an app or something and let the slowpoke of the party check each and every item for stats/upgrades on their phone instead of turning it into a bathroom break for everyone else!)

7. Kingdom Rush: Origins ; I like Tower Defense games. I like this series. The elf motif is nice, can't wait to see what the later levels have to offer.

8. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair ; I've included both DR1 and DR2 on my list, so sue me. Better gameplay elements for the most part, but the story wasn't as good as the first for me, outside of the final chapters. I also didn't feel as attached to the various characters in this game for some reason...

9. Fibbage: The Hilarious Bluffing Party Game ; A terrific party game. Only issue with it is the small number of questions and issues certain people had with joining lobbies/games once in awhile.

10. Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft ; I'm not good at Hearthstone, but it's a well done card game that makes sure I keep my iPad charged.

1. Sunset Overdrive ; Sunset Overdrive successfully melds great gameplay, a good story, abject craziness, fourth wall breaking, and energy drinks into the best overall package of 2014. Probably the funniest game I have played in quite a while. They were wrong about one thing though, I loved the original ending.

2. The Wolf Among Us ; The Wolf Among Us succeeds in many areas where the Walking Dead failed for me. The decisions seemed to have more weight to them without the specter of death hanging over all of them. The story had interesting twists and turns, however being tied to the Comic’s canon probably keeps it from my top spot because it handcuffed them in some of the things the story could do.

3. Dragon Age Inquisition ; Bioware does it again. Now bring on Mass Effect.

4. Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor ; Shadow of Mordor is probably the best playing game of the year paired with an at best serviceable story. The nemesis system is a weird combination of being cool but also trivial. The Batman inspired(stolen) gameplay still shines though.

5. Bayonetta 2 ; This game made me continue playing just so I could see what crazy thing it would throw on my screen next. Bayonetta 2 was an excellent action game that I feel I never got a true grasp on. I was having a ton of fun, even though it felt like I was just button mashing my way to the end boss.

6. Far Cry 4 ; Hey do you want more Far Cry 3? Here you go. I do wish the Civil War between your two primary factions was a bigger focus in the game. Taking over bases and climbing radio towers is still as fun as ever.

7. Mario Kart 8 ; Just pure fun. Mario Kart 8 isn’t going to win any points for originality, however the tracks are good almost across the board, and the online play is great. The AI can still make you want to throw things at times however.

8. Valiant Hearts: The Great War ; Valiant Hearts was touching. The game’s use of historical facts and pictures gave it a great backdrop for the somewhat unremarkable puzzle solving. I do wish the game would have avoided trying to go the action movie route and stayed more realistic towards the end. Also, the dog is awesome.

9. South Park: The Stick of Truth ; South Park’s humor can definitely be an acquired taste, however even as someone who hasn’t watched the series in years I still found myself laughing throughout the entire thing. The RPG mechanics are solid and the game would have probably ranked higher if not for the numerous bugs (some gamebreaking) that I encountered during my play through.

10. Trials Fusion ; Trials Evolution was my game of the year for 2012 and Fusion just does more of that. While the new additions to the game don’t work out as well as I would have hoped, the classic Trials gameplay keeps me coming back to yell obscenities at my screen over and over.

Honorable Mentions

x. Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes ;

x. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky ; I am putting both of these games here as they would have been on my top 10 list except I decided to wait and recognize them both in conjunction with their follow ups in 2015.

I love that I'm seeing a really good mix of games, and game styles this year in the GAF GOTY voting. After reading almost every page I am still not 100% sure what game will win. Last year it was pretty obvious!

I have a feeling South Park may surprise some. My perception might blend out certain titles, but I feel that game is on tons of lists.

rakhir

1. Dragon Age: Inquisition ; It destroys my computer, crashes constantly, but i can't leave it behind. Brilliant return to form, and i liked DA2 and ME3!
2. World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor ; Really great expansion this time, full of new great stuff and much improved storytelling.
3. The Banner Saga ; It was everything i wanted from it when i kickstarted it a while ago. It's also stunningly beautiful.
4. The Wolf Among Us ; They made us wait a long time for it, but it was worth it. Stylishly made story game with great characters in a great world.
5. Divinity: Original Sin ; It bogs down in the second chapter, but that 24 hours i spend in the first was some of the best RPG I've played in a long while.
6. Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor ; I really didn't care for this game until reviews start hitting and it's great nemesis system was shown in great details. It was worth a try!
7. The Walking Dead 2 ; It's one of my most liked tv shows ever.
8. South Park: The Stick of Truth ; The best of South Park in a video game. I just farted on that dwarf.
9. Transistor ; I was really dissapointed in this game, it made most parts of it's story unnecessary vague and nearly impenetrable. Still, i had Red on my wallpaper for most of the year, and the soundtrack is booming from my speakers as i type this.
10. Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls ; It finally made Diablo 3 what it should be from the start.

Writing this i found out that I really value the visuals of my games - Banner Saga won me over with it's stunning paintings of landscapes, Wolf Among Us has some fantastic color choices for everything from menus to backgrounds, Transistor's all visuals for me.
But i do have an unopened can of Coca-Cola on my shelf, because i think it's design is cool as hell, so yeah...

Levyne

Banned
1. Divinity: Original Sin ; (PC) This surprising game is my Game of the Year. I did not know much about the title at all going in; I wasn’t a kickstarter backer, I was unfamiliar with the series, and my experience with pc-specific rpgs in general was pretty light. Great word of mouth, an interesting premise, and a totally unique turn based combat system was enough to get me to try this out, and it was one of the most refreshing rpg experiences I’ve had in a long time, and certainly the best of the past several years. The tactical nature of the combat is what really sticks with me after playing some other, more thoughtless games after experiencing Divinity. A varied character progression/growth system, interesting party mechanics, elemental combos, necessary buffs and debuffs, it sounds like a laundry list of things anyone would expect in any rpg, but Divinity’s systems come together in a way that other games are unable to meld together quite as neatly, or with as much agency to the player. Encounters can be planned for, tackled in different orders and in different ways, and it’s not ever one hundred percent clear what the best way to prepare for any specific moment should be, whether it’s how your characters are set up, or how you approach the battlefield.

There’s a similar notion when it comes to the game’s quests. There are very few fetching-type quests to be found here. Instead the players are required to interact with the various npcs, read their dialogues, and come to a decision on how to tackle the problem and when, where to go, and what to say. Never collecting things off of a mimimap, never going to a quest board, the game allows you to keep track of quests within a journal, but doesn’t go so far as to becoming a list of chores for you to complete. Compared to some other rpg quest design, Divinity really stands out here. The game is very challenging early on in the normal difficulty, but later on in the game it's very easy to just buff up armor/elemental resistance and go to town and watch enemies fail to do a lot of damage. The Act 1 boss fight was the first example of the game teaching me the great value of positioning, smart use of summons, teleporting both the enemies and myself, and really paying attention to the turn order. In other games it would have been enough to simply focus fire units one by one as something resembling strategy, but here I needed to know what my units were capable of, how they were geared, and a lot of other similar nuances. While this challenge is semi lost as the game progresses, I’m sure a hard mode playthrough would encounter similar situations further on into the game.

The last part of the game really dragged on for me and soured me a little bit. I loathed seeing red dot enemy blobs in the last area since they were just filling space. Instead of interesting quests and whimsical dialogue that helped supplement the rest of the game, here the player seemed to basically be tasked with vanquishing pretty much everything in the area without remorse. I really enjoyed the encounters earlier more than the late game battles because they felt meaningful and well-paced between quest progression. The red dots in the final areas just felt like I was a cartographer scraping the edges of the map and clearing it out just for a sense of completion. Most of my gripes with the combat system come down to ui and input implementation. For instance, I found it way too easy to "miss" a target if his idle animation moves him out from underneath your cursor and you end up walking up to him rather than attack. With rumors about controller support, I wonder if such things are able to be tweaked. Sometimes you can click on the enemy portrait or zoom and wiggle the camera but a lot of times there are many enemies of the same type and you're unsure which portrait is his, and for me moving the camera can sometimes mess with my mental map.

Some other minor gripes are that I wish the talent pool was larger and I didn't really like most of the indoor dungeons, which mostly just felt like corridors filled with baddies or rooms filled with switches. The accompanying pixel hunt puzzles were very grating. The reason/charm/intimidate skill checks being mostly based on randomness and the rock paper scissors implementation didn’t feel appropriate at all. While some people in the GAF OT complained of this affliction: I never really found the need or desire to save scum for the random loot. I guess mainly because the crafting/upgrading of equipment was easy enough, and the importance skills and tactics is much more important than whatever you are wearing. You make due with what you get, and the good players end up winning the day regardless. The artstyle and whole tone of the game is definitely pleasant, and the soundtrack is varied and memorable. Both Battle Force and Dance of Death are interesting to hear over and over, and the game in general is very pretty and downsamples beautifully.

2. Wolfenstein: The New Order ; (PC) I’ve been playing a fair number of single player FPS the last couple years, including the Bioshocks and Singularity, so the idea of a single player only FPS by a new studio was something that interested me from the start. While the limitations of a single player and linear fps are very obvious, such as the lack of strong replayability factor, I still enjoyed this title immensely for the limited amount of time I spent with it. While I rarely play games with any sort of narrative expectations, Wolfenstein’s stayed with me a lot longer than any of the other titles I listed. I think the developers struck a very tricky balance with the silly and the sophisticated, creating believable characters within a rather quirky setting and managing to not make the two tonalities clash. The simple perk system encouraged taking on foes in multiple ways, and playing on the hardest difficulty really tested the player in knowing how to best engage what might initially seem like a bullet sponge only to later learn more effective ways to use ammo and the environment effectively. In fact, I quickly learned in one of the levels that the best tactic for me was to avoid confrontation entirely. Being able to use any obtained weapon is a freedom more FPS should use, and watching playthroughs of players tackling the same levels very differently showcase the extent that the player maintains a great degree of freedom even within a linear chapter progression. In fact, watching developer playthroughs of the Gibraltar Bridge level showed me some ways to view the engagement differently, which greatly changed my opinion about what I previously thought was the worst level in the game.

I wish that the two-timeline mechanic was more fully implemented. The slight differences that are in play feel a bit gimmicky and half-baked. Having more boss-like encounters would have also been nice to have, but the pacing of the game as is is pretty great so perhaps the absence of such encounters was to the game’s benefit. Tweaks to the home base and a greater degree of timeline differentiation would make for a worthy sequel I hope, and I am eager to learn about what MachineGames is working on next.

3. Dark Souls 2 ; (PC) Despite the various qualms that the various crowds have against Dark Souls 2, it still sits as one of my most played games of the year. The game is definitely easier than Dark Souls 1 or Demon's. There's no O&S or Four Kings, bosses that you just dread facing every playthrough. However, some of this probably came with the fact that no GWFL meant that any tough encounter could easily be tackled with a friend or two. I did make sure to defeat some of the bosses on my own, such as Fume Knight and the Ancient Dragon, but co-op Dark Souls is some of the best fun to be had with the game. Even asynchronously, I loved writing messages and going back to them in NG+ to remind myself which were rated where to see which were more helpful to more people. I made sure to rate messages that helped me to return the favor. Having not played the other games in co-op to any extent, it was awesome to have a friendly phantom show me a secret bonfire, or watch him for a a little bit during a fight to see a response to a boss tell. Summoning typically makes the game very easy, but the "jolly cooperation" is still very enjoyable and well implemented.

Despite parroting of “B Team” and recycled or mis-fitting areas, the game is massive especially with DLC considered. My issue with Dark Souls 2 areas is that they aren't really interconnected to the extent as they were in DS1. The DLC areas each being their own sectioned off zone of a mostly one-way path exacerbated this feeling. They feel more like different roads that intersect at Majula or a few other places rather than feeling like the world of Dranglec. There's no real moment where I found myself ending up back at a previous location and thinking that I learned something of the world’s organization. I don't really see this as an entirely bad thing, though. since Demon’s Souls is explicitly designed that way, but coming off of Dark Souls, I was expecting a bit more in terms of interconnectedness. The last part of the game was a bit obfuscated about what had to be done to wrap things up. I had to use a guide to learn what to do to take on the last boss. Though this isn't necessarily bad, it just felt a little bit like an unneeded step, or something that could have been done differently. Dark Souls 2 in general feels like the lore and narrative just exists to be vague as if it’s trying to emulate the other series entries, rather than mysteriously but coherently piecing together a larger puzzle.

Very few of the bosses are interesting monsters or creatures, or at least it felt that way to me. The number of human zombie enemies sort of make the areas begin to blend together after being away from the game for a bit. The newer DLC bosses being mostly humanoid (if not re-used entirely) as well was sort of disappointing, even if only for the missed opportunity to add some more unique flavor to a drab bestiary for the game.

4. Dragon Age: Inquisition ; (PC) Within my first dozen hours with DAI, I thought it was going to be my GOTY. Great dialogue, wondrous vistas, a varied and well-voiced cast within a large and gorgeous game. Even the combat felt engaging enough, though I had a couple issues with the M+KB combat that took some getting used to, such as being able to reliably select targets without having to click on the enemies. However, as the number of quest markers on my map began to bloat and the number of unfilled quest bars being to pile up, I found myself less eager to shower the game with too many accolades. While some of the character specific quests remain interesting and well implemented, so many of the other quests feel like collect-a-thons, and that’s ignoring the explicitly labeled collections and requisitions. With the side content pulled out, the remaining game includes a fairly simple and poorly paced main quest along with a long list of seemingly inconsequential dispatch type missions from the war table. Having to re-visit the table to unlock a portion of a zone, and being un-able to reassign the dispatches without revisiting Skyhold directly became a bit of a chore as the game went on.

I did enjoy that the game went away from crystal clear good and evil dialogue options, but I also feel that the remaining choices within the game felt minor and inconsequential as a result. I still feel that it’s an improvement to the Paragon/Renegade system of the mass effect games, and I enjoy that there isn’t an explicit bar for how moral or immoral your character is, or how well certain teammates respect or like you. I feel like this allows the player to more properly role play without trying to make sure that they are trying to manufacture the result for a favorable reward and are playing the bars instead of the game. At the same time, I feel like a lot of the criticisms placed against the game’s combat were overblown. It certainly didn’t really play like a Platinum Games action title, but felt like combat was responsive enough, and rewarded builds and gear and planning. I do wish that the play had more progression options, though. Only really being able to select from a skill tree felt pretty limiting. I did enjoy the crafting system and was able to use that as a sort of supplement for not being able to adjust stats directly, and it was one of the few crafting systems that I didn’t feel was tacked on or unneeded. I did wish that some of the item management in general was tweaked though, such as having a sort of storage box or an ability to exchange gear for gold from anywhere.

5. The Banner Saga ; (PC) I have mixed opinions about The Banner Saga, but I'm still very happy to have played it. I enjoy lots of strategy based rpgs, and Banner Saga had an interesting premise and art style so I had to try it out and weigh it against the more familiar Japanese flavor of the genre. However, this is one title where I felt like it ended before it could really shine. I'm appreciative that it didn't drag itself out, but at the same time it's always a bit jarring when the end credits sneak up on you. Luckily the announcement of a sequel has me hopeful for a more fully fleshed out title coming soon.

I feel that game's most notable features are the Armor/Strength duality and the Willpower and Exertion mechanics. Individually, these mechanics are only small wrinkles to the normal strategy standbys, but they are implemented well enough to have some interesting results. It creates some very consequential moments where the player can't be certain whether they should really strip the armor down further or if instead the enemy health should be focused so that they might be finished off sooner. It also creates much needed class specialization where certain units can be outfitted to target specific weaknesses. This combined with the simple accessory system actually combines for some fairly deep team-building. I feel like the willpower and exertion mechanics are possibly even more important. Exertion allows you to add damage points to your strength hits, break down armor faster, and move further than normal. Morale allows you to add willpower to units as you need it, and replenishes as you defeat enemies. Since exertion determines how much willpower you can add to any action, it was the first thing I upgraded on any unit promotion. Using these abilities timely was a very important thing to learn as the game went on.

Banner saga is also artistically interesting. The battle animations and sound work is great, and I generally love the look of this game. The battle environments themselves are a bit bland and I didn’t gel with was the out-of-battle dialogues, usually set as continuously reversing camera shots of the front facing portraits of the various characters. The continuously changing perspective and lack of multiple emotive artworks for each character really made clicking through these dialogues to be a chore at times, and it was sometimes more difficult than it needed to be to determine who was entering and leaving the scene, and even who is all present at any given time. The in-between battle treks with the caravan were not super enjoyable. A handful of times the game would tell me that the enemy force was so large and my force was comparatively large but I couldn't really tell what numbers the game was crunching underneath. While other moments of open-ended choice and consequence within these sections was great, the various off-screen battle tactician moments, such as choosing to charge into a battle or not, seemed to be more random and less consequential. In the last two chapters of the game, I had made a dumb mistake and lost most of my unit count but it didn't seem to matter at all.

Lastly, the overarching story and narrative were interesting enough, but sometimes it felt messy and cluttered. You find yourself moving from one outpost to the next, each with exotics names, and never in one place for too long. Yes, there's a fairly nice in game map that helps to try to put things into place mentally, but when the purpose of most encampments is to simply upgrade your units and merch and be on your way, there wasn't a lot of incentive to really keep track of much.

6. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor ; (PC) Shadow of Mordor is a narrowly focused fun orc-slaying romp, but not much more. The addictive combat carries the game through the bland story missions of the game. The voice acting and cutscene animation feel like wasted efforts on this game which really doesn’t seem to know what it wants to tell in terms of a plot. The missions just feel like excuses to kill orcs The environments are drab and the side objectives are fairly boring. Most of the missions involve being given an npc to follow and a checklist of orcs to kill. It would have been nice to have a little more variety and a stronger finish to the plot as well. The game certainly ends on less than a whimper and is so quiet and abrupt that it’s hard to even be mad for very long. The worst offender was the series of two dozen slave-rescue missions that I sadly only finished for the sake of completion. Yet, despite that damning introduction to the game, it’s one that I really enjoyed a lot. There’s a sense of emergent gameplay narrative here in Shadow of Mordor that I haven’t seen in many other games. Tales shared in the OT of specific Nemeses for different posters, different failures and successes, close calls, or any combination of these was truly a treat to be a part of. In a way, the self-written stories of players taking on the generated enemies were significantly more interesting than anything Monolith could have written. The orcs found within the nemesis system were highly varied and interesting. Not only that, but the emergent personal storytelling between the various players and their nemeses help to supplement the weakly written story of the game itself. The game also does a great job in transitioning the player from participant within the nemesis system to a manipulator of the whole orc army hierarchy. This is most specifically illustrated through the Branding mechanic, but I feel the late unlock of this ability was a weird decision that negatively affected the pacing of the game. That said, the strength of the ability itself might have made the game trivially easy too early if it was available on the first map.

The size of the maps in the game are limited, but I didn’t really feel that the scope of the maps was strictly an issue. They were compact enough to not be tedious to cross or explore, but more damning was that they were lacking in interesting landmarks and came across as somewhat bland. The general aesthetic of the areas were good and some of the vistas in the second map especially were really quite beautiful. It just feels like a waste to pepper the land with same-y looking ruined buildings and strongholds that felt like they could have been randomly generated. It felt like they started with a blank plot of land and took too few passes adding and subtracting from the template. However, after coming back from Dragon Age Inquisition, I do appreciate that the map is not as littered with checklists and quest markers, and I felt like the brief nature of most of the side objectives was to the game’s benefit. Truly a game that is narrowly focused on its primary gameplay mechanics. The tertiary components are, as a whole, disappointing. Depending on how much one values the aspects of storytelling and world building, that could significantly affect how they take to the game as a complete product. Even the music seemed a bit like an afterthought. The extent to which one enjoys the game's central combat and orc army manipulation systems will determine the extent that they forgive the other shortcomings.

7. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance ; (PC) Yep, this came out in 2014 on PC! This game is pure fun. While the game doesn't do a great job of explaining itself sometimes, the feeling of when something clicks and watching your battle ranks improve is really something special. I didn't pay attention to the story and skipped the cutscenes, dialogue, incoming phone calls, and never made a call. Just wasn't what I was looking for and not having played any Metal Gear game I would have been lost anyway. The soundtrack is incredible! The boss tracks especially are really really memorable, and going with high octane lyrical songs was the perfect choice. Often times the verses are targeted to kick in as a fight changes phases and it simply is a joy to listen to. I didn’t spend a lot of time with this game, and played it mostly on Normal which only required a basic understanding of the counter and parry mechanic, and I didn’t really need to perfect any particular part of the game. While I could have made more playtime possible by trying my hand at the harder difficulties, the lack of a more lengthy campaign, more interesting environments, and my complete apathy to any narrative presence just simply didn’t really motivate me to keep going once I had seen everything once. Still, the dozen hours or so I did spend were certainly some of the most fun of the year.

8. Infamous: Second Son ; (PS4) The first game I played on PS4, and it certainly was one of the best looking console games of the year. However, after enjoying the first two Infamous games a fair bit, this one I was somewhat lukewarm on. While the gameplay was fluid and engaging at its core, the district-by-district map progression and unlocking just simply ended up being strikingly repetitive, and while games can be expected to be cycles of some basic gameplay loop, I just wanted something more to mask that nature here.

9. Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster ; (PS3) Growing up, I was mostly a PC and Nintendo gamer and didn’t really see a Final Fantasy game until X released on the PS2 so I was a bit late to that party. It was one of my favorite games at the time, and really acted as a sort of gateway to more Japanese (non-nintendo) games and more RPGs in general. Learning a couple years ago that I was going to be finally able to play the international version was something that was exciting, but the end result was a mild let-down. I still feel that the opening-to-end-credits progression of the game with respect to story and pacing, gameplay and difficulty, progression on the expert sphere grid, and side objectives is a well-balanced product. While some people are certainly turned off by numerous aspects of the characters or plot, those have never really been things that I weigh heavily into my enjoyment of the game. What was more disappointing to me was the structure of the post-game systems, especially those added to the international version. A lot of time spent grinding in the monster arena and rewriting stat nodes. I would have liked more such freedom to be available mid-game, instead of cramming such all entirely at the end and in such a time consuming manner. Luckily the game offers Yojimbo as an out to this to some extent.

10. Valiant Hearts: The Great War ; (PC) A short, artsy, simple game than can be completed in a couple of play sessions. While the game doesn’t offer a lot in the way of challenge or variety, there are some interesting ideas and music at play that make this a worthwhile pick up. I think it could have shined more as a Kings Quest -ish adventure game instead of focusing on lock-and-key type puzzles and some super basic platforming.

---

I wanted to play Valkyria Chronicles and Trails in the Sky again for their respective pc re-releases but haven’t had the chance. I’m near positive they would be on the list had I played them, but I wanted to honestly list what I’ve played this year.

1. Hearthstone: Simple to play, hard to master, pure fun, and free.
2. Super Smash Broa for Wii U: yet again, simple to play but has depth. It's pure fun with a group of friends.
3. Titafall: I'll say what I've said since the game came out. Titafall is the most enjoyable shooter to come in years.
4. Diablo III Ultimate Evil Edition: Diablo feels better than ecer on a controller and now that it's on a console I can play with my friends who don't have gaming PCs. Adventure mode is also the tits.
5. Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor: The nemesis system works as advertised. I've never had a grudge against AI enemies like this. Fuck you, Mozfel the Stentch. I will kill you.
6. Mario Kart 8: pure fun. That is all.

x. Halo The Master Chief Collection: the only reason this is an honorable mention and not on my list is because it's a remastered collection so technically none of these games came out this year (at least in the case of Diablo there's an expansion). The only "new" game is the H2A multiplayer, and even that's a bit of a stretch since it is made to play exactly like Halo 2. Also the game launched with a number of problems. It's great fun when it works though.

x. Destiny: easily the biggest disappointment of the year for me, but it's still a fun game. I just won't be playing it nearly as much as I had hoped. Still worth an honorable mention

RbzpXDZ.png

1. Alien: Isolation ; I always thought AAA games can’t be subtle anymore,them being all about cutscenes, QTEs and scripted set-pieces. And even more popular indie horror games are more about predictable jump scares than true horror. Then came Alien Isolation which is all about organic gameplay, the scripted sequences are very rare and sparse but they’re used for a good reason and not relied on for the entire game. There are a lot of slow and suspense building moments which is rare for a AAA game these days. The atmosphere in the game is one of the best I’ve experienced in a sci-fi setting since the original Dead Space and the retro futuristic art is just the icing on the cake. Never thought Creative Assembly could make such game since it's way outside their comfort zone but they did it and blew me away.

sHg1lqc.png

2. Wolfenstein: The New Order ; An Immensely fun shooter with great weapons, big maps and tons of personality. It may not be very innovative when it comes to gameplay but I had more fun playing this game than any other FPS I played this year. It’s not a corridor shooter that tries to be realistic to pander to the dudebro crowd but an old school shooter drenched in an HD coating and I love it ! And it had a surprisingly good story as well for a franchise as cheesy as Wolfenstein. I hope to see more of this kind of game in the future.

ZFcYMif.png

3. Bayonetta 2 ; While I finished the game with a “been there done that” kind of feeling I cannot say that I never had any fun with it. The combat is still fun, the enemies are still creative, the set pieces are still over the top (in a good way) , and the gameplay is as gratifying as the original game. Definitely a reason to buy a Wii U.

7SRtNCF.png

4.Transistor ; The story may not be as good as Supergiant's previous game Bastion, but the gameplay certainly is, the increased emphasis on strategy mixed with the time control mechanic made the game deeper and I had more options approaching the combat than Bastion. I love how creative a lot of the enemies are in this game and never got tired of playing it.Oh ,and it probably has one of the best soundtracks I heard this year, definitely worth checking out.

oQ6eMyB.png

5. Infamous: Second Son ; I loved the previous Infamous games and I still stand by my word that they’re one of the PS3’s best games and while Second Son isn’t as good as the original two games it still has that superhero sandbox fun that I never get tired of, fun and diverse elemental powers coupled with decent (albeit not great) writing makes for a great sandbox experience, and it looks gorgeous to boot !

hYiaToA.png

6. Divinity: Original Sin ; Easily the best RPG of 2014. This is one of the deepest games I’ve played all year, the range of complex game mechanics combined with a fantastic tactical combat system is something to admire, the combat is has so many options that it’s rare to have two battles that playout the same way. And the unique co-op mechanics that makes your partner participate in the dialogue conversation is a great idea that brings him not only to the combat but to the story as well. But, it’s somewhat low on this list because I think the world and characters are nothing short of dull and in an RPG that's a huge detriment.

RdVsaFp.png

7. South Park: the stick of Truth ; I don’t even like the show but the game utilized the license so well that it deserves to be on the list. Not only I had fun with it, I actually laughed a lot throughout the game. It has a lot of verity when it comes to locations and quests which more than I can say than many AAA RPGs. Plus it's rare to see another studio's take on the gameplay of Paper Mario.

pkWXPJ7.png

8.Valiant Hearts: The great War ; I loved the setting of this game a lot, WWI is such an rarely explored area in games and it dealing with human characters while making war itself as the villain (almost) deserves some praise even if it didn’t reach it’s full potential. It's a shame that filler segments took away a lot of my enjoyment of this game but it's still an admirable effort non the less !

VCtJxgL.png

9. Monument Valley ; One of the best games I played on my phone, not only it’s a great puzzle game but it looks great and the music is amazing, I’d put the game on just to hear the relaxing soundtrack. The puzzles do get challenging later on in the game so it's a real head-scratcher. I hope more people play this game and not overlook it just because it’s a mobile game.

X. Destiny ; Great art and music but the repetitive nature of the game turned me off two weeks after playing it.

By the way, why does formatting matter at all? It's not like it makes it super unclear which games people have chosen for their GOTY, or makes their sentiments any less valid.

1. Dragon Age: Inquisition ; Bioware pretty much redeemed for me. The story was kind of weak, but everything else was great. Loved the gameplay, the environments, the characters (even Sara!). It was kind of like Baldur's Gate 1 3-D, and I loved it.

2. South Park: The Stick of Truth ; This was basically like playing a few episodes of South Park, and it was fucking great. Probably could have taken number one if there was more to the battle system. But what's there is still really fun. Sounds like the game was a bitch to make, so sadly we probably won't see any more.

3. Grand Theft Auto V ; New music (which was desperately needed), new first person mode (while I still prefer third person, first person is great just to walk around in and experience the world up close), and the ability to play as a border collie, what's not to love? Well the story still sucks, but everything else is great and improved.

4. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes ; I paid money for a demo, and I don't feel the slightest bit bad. Hell I paid $50 for the MGS2 demo (didn't like ZOE at all) and didn't regret it. Also paid for the FF8 demo, but Brave Fencer Musashi turned out to be really good so that was a win. It's new Metal Gear, and I love it.

5. The Last of Us: Remastered ;

6. The Wolf Among Us: Episodes 2-5 ; I really liked the style and the look of it. The story was pretty entertaining even if some episodes were a bit on the short side. I really enjoyed me time in this world..

7. Final Fantasy X HD ;

8. Assassin's Creed: Rogue ; I loved the hell out of Black Flag. Rogue is basically a continuation of that, but with some AC3 thrown in as well. Sailing is as fun as ever, but the game is pretty short. And even though the game has two maps to sail around in, it feels smaller than AC4's map, probably due to the increased land masses.

9. Valiant Hearts: The Great War ; An interesting game set during WWI. I liked it for the most part, but it did drag on towards the end and I was ready for it to be over. But fun for its part.

10. Destiny ; I played the shit out of this game, and for that I can give it spot 10. The story is awful, the content feels sparse, and the fucking drops and decoding nonsense was complete bullshit, but the shooting was really fun. But in the end I had enough, quit playing, and never looked back.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
1. Transistor ; I could wax poetic about this title, but at the end of the day stripped bare this title moved me. I was curious and engaged and confused and impressed. I always go with feel over tech, and here we have both art and story and systems that combined in a way that made this experience feel wholly unique to me and this my GOTY
2. Dark Souls 2 ; hard to discuss this game on GAF due to some strange fanaticism about the franchise, but this series has never had anything other than amazing experiences and Ds2 may not be my favorite - too hard to choose - of the Souls games, but it certainly was the most fun! Almost topped the list but certainly deserves to be up there
3. Dragon Age Inquisition ; super impressed. DAO lost to Demon's Souls to me a few years ago and now DAI is right behind it again BUT I think Bioware really surprised me with this. Beautiful and maticulously designed with passion and its a lot of fun to play, if not too bloated
4. Child of Light ; gorgeous. Poetry in motion. Touching story, engaging battle system, delightful music. A triumph for the team and Ubisoft.
5. The Evil Within ; Mikami! Was a strange experience for me through Chapter 3, stuck through it and it clicked and I really got into it. Welcome back.
6. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze ; perfection
7. Valiant Hearts ; I cried
8. Super Smash Bros Wii U ; will be playing on my couch with buddies all year
9. Mario Kart 8 ; best in the series?
10. Shovel Knight ; so tight, so fun, so much love. Old school respect with modern sensibility, a game for everyone here to try

Honorable Mentions:

11. Destiny
12. Bravely Default
13. Sunset Overdrive
14. The Last Of Us: Left Behind
15. Infamous: First Light
16. Gucamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition
17. Theatrhythem Final Fantasy Curtain Call

2014 games I own but haven’t had a chance to play yet, or haven’t gotten far enough into that I would count:

Assassin’s Creed Unity
Bayonetta 2
Far Cry 4
Lords of The Fallen
Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2
The Crew
Terra Battle
Wolfenstein The New Order
Outlast (PS4)
Watch_Dogs
Trials Fusion

Played a ton of stuff this year!
I agonized a bit on ordering my Top 3.
I'm giving it to Transistor because of the uniqueness of the experience and the emotional impact it had on me. Wonderful game. Though, Dark Souls 2 was the most fun I had this year and spent over 90 hours on it. So tough call!

This thread has been great to skim through though ... Now I'm wondering what Fantasy Life and Freedom Wars and The Banner Saga are like.

demisec

1. Alien Isolation ; Its quality wasn't always consistent, but it had mostly the right ideas. Nailed a lot of the aesthetics and vibe of the film, and even made me reconsider my initial objections about it including firearms in the game. Amanda Ripley was also a solid character.
2. Dark Souls 2 ; Not as good as its predecessors, but still managed to keep me entertained for 160 hours or so.
3. The Walking Dead S2 ; both Telltale games on my list were enjoyable enough.
4. The Wolf Among Us

Honorable mentions
x. MGSV: Ground Zeroes ; It was alright but it ended too soon.
x. This War of Mine ; I get what it was trying to do, but I think the developer forced their ideals a little too much into the gameplay systems.

mrmickfran

fD43aTe.png

1. Bayonetta 2 ; Never have I been so hyped for a game, and it still surpassed my expectations. It didn't revolutionize the combat of the series in a way that DMC3 did, but damn it, if I said that it didn't take the amazing combat of the first game and upped it to immense proportions, I would be a damn liar.

dQPITAA.png

2.Super Smash Bros. for Wii U ; SETTLE IT IN SMASH. Brawl was pretty disappointing, so I had low hopes for this game, wow everything that Brawl got wrong, Smash 4 fixed it. The gorgeous colorful artstyle, the fast-paced combat, the replay value, I could go on and on.

3.Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker ; Screw the haters, I had absolutely no issues with the controls. Fun puzzles, a while limited still catchy soundtrack, and OH MY GOD this game is gorgeous. FUCKIN SCENERY PORN.

IDTpEac.png

4. Mario Kart 8 ; I'm not even a fan of racing games, which is why I didn't buy it at launch. I definitely regret that. The tighter controls, that ultra smooth framerate, the soundtrack, and OH MY GOD this game is gorgeous. FUCKIN SCENERY PORN.

9P0j9I3.png

5. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze ; David Wise. That's all. Also, FUCKIN SCENERY PORN.

6. Bravely Default ; I don't consider the game post chapter 4 to exist. But before that, it's a solid RPG. The job system is soooo fun to experiment with.

I've got nothing else this year since I spent most of my time tackling my backlog.

Zalman, I hope you don't mind me steling your images :p

Tizoc

Here's my list:

1. Freedom Planet ; Captures the essence of 2D Sonic games as well as a great tribute to platformers on the Genesis. Offering 3 distinct ways to play through the game, it tops it off with a great soundtrack, colorful visuals and solid level design and beautiful backgrounds.

2. Strider ; A re-imaging of the first Strider game, this time stages are given a Metroid-like structure, allowing you to return to past areas to get power ups previously inaccessible. Featuring some great boss fights and flashy animations, this short but fun action game was a thrill to play.

3. Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney ; Featuring a great soundtrack and some of the BEST Court Trials in the PW series, this game was a fun and hilarious romp. Puzzles weren’t too bad, but it being a Layton game too, the story falls apart at the end.

4. Velocity 2X ; A simple but fun combination of shmup and 2D action platforming. Speed is the name of the game, and while I doubt I’d ever go for the gold ranking in stages, I still had a blast playing this game.

5. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair ; I enjoyed DR2 a lot more than 1, but 1 still blew my mind and was a fun ride. DR2 has more DESPAIR along with having a better cast and like its predecessor wonderful characterization and writing.

6. Shin Megami Tensei IV ; After a ridiculously long wait, EU 3DS owners finally got the chance to experience this latest entry of the SMT series. To me it is the first SMT game that I’ve played to completion. I really enjoyed the story, and for the most part the exploration, and it had a great array of characters to interact with. The combat system was fun as well as fusing demons.

7. The Talos Principle ; It may not be Portal 3, but it’s a cleverly design puzzle game. The music is calm and works well with the setting, and solving puzzles is always a joy once you figure out HOW to solve them.

8. Guilty Gear Xrd ; Daisuke returns with the latest entry in his metal and rock inspired fighting game. Some of the best animations in a fighter since SF3 3S and Garou, and with a slick combo system.

9. One Finger Death Punch ; It’s a game where you control a stickman and pull off kickass looking kung fu moves, AND IT HAS STAGES WHERE YOU FIGHT WITH NUNCHUCKS; WHAT’S NOT TO LIKE?!

10. Legend of Dark Witch ; This one took me by surprise, releasing for us EU peasants many months after US eShop got it, this game plays similar to the classic Megaman games, and has challenging boss fights which I really enjoyed. The one thing I disliked though, are the character designs, which luckily I overlooked them in favour of a fun & challenging 2D action platformer game.

Honorable Mentions
x. Wolf Among us ; My fav. Telltale game so far, playing it on laptop I was fortunate to experience it in 60 FPS without any glitches, slowdown or bugs like Telltale’s console releases.

x. Silent Age ; Ep. 2 finally released this year and was an impressive conclusion to this game. A short but entertaining PnC style game for iPhones and iPads.

x. Wolfenstein: The New Order ; What’s more fun that killing Nazis? KILLING NAZIS WITH DUAL WIELDING SHOTGUNS!

x. Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor ; Despite what flaws it had it was a fun action game, and I liked the Middle Earth setting. I give it props for getting me read more about Tolkein’s lore, like how Sauron is the 2nd dark lord of Middle Earth. Otherwise, great Orc Slaying Simulator

x. No heroes allowed! No puzzles either! ; Match 3 games are addicting. Match 3 games with RPG elements are even more so. Great for short bursts, it also features a level up system to help you in tackling later stages faster and to wrack higher scores.

x. Blackwell Epiphany ; The concluding chapter in the Blackwell series, a simple but engaging PnC game utilizing classic pixelated graphics.

Renzoku

Banned
There are still a few games from this year that I'd like to play, so I may change some of this before the deadline.

1. Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft ; It took WarCraft, fused it with Magic: The Gathering, and gave it to me for free. Fun to play, addictive because of the nature of TCGs, and features characters from one of my favorite IPs of all time. Perfect package.

2. Dark Souls II ; At first I felt like this was more of the same, but then I walked into the Heide's Tower area, looked around, walked back to Majula, looked at the giant well in the middle of town, and realized where I was. Once I realized the connection to Dark Souls 1, I was completely convinced that From Software's storytelling is legitimate and amazing. Coupled with more of the fun gameplay from the past entries in the series, it provided a fantastic package.

3. Mario Kart 8 ; Battle mode sucks, but everything else is so wonderful that the game is just a joy to play. Fun tracks, pretty visuals, refined gameplay. I think it has some issues, but nothing that deters from the experience too much.

4. Alien: Isolation ; Captures the feeling of the first film perfectly. It tells a good story that ties into the films, and it creates a legitimate sense of dread throughout the entire game.

5. Diablo III: Reaper of Souls ; Blizzard fixed a lot of the problems with Diablo III through patching, but this patch really brought the game back up to par to Lord of Destruction. The story is still garbage compared to DII, but the game has never been more fun.

6. Valiant Hearts: The Great War ; A nice change of pace, with interesting storytelling. The puzzles are mostly simple, but the way you journey through levels as World War I rages around you creates a strong emotional experience.

7. Kirby: Triple Deluxe ; Much like Mario Kart 8, it's basically the distilled essence of Kirby in a near-perfect Kirby game.

8. This War of Mine ; Similar to Valiant Hearts, it tells a story about war through gameplay that can best be described as 2D Sims meets The Last of Us.

9. Bravely Default ; First time I've felt like I've played a Final Fantasy game since FF XII. It's a shame the second half is a repetitive pile of shit.

10. Outlast ; Just as scary as Alien, with a good story, and a great POV/Found Footage Film feeling to it.

1. Betrayer ; Sometimes, less is more. This philosophy clearly influences most parts of Betrayer, including the story, music and visuals. The only thing you hear are whispers in the distance, bells ringing and the wind blowing. This allows you to explore and sneak up on enemies when the wind picks up. The black, white and red is very reminiscent of something like Sin City, highly stylized without seeming tacky. The narrative is filled in by player exploration, and exploring abandoned forts and their surrounding areas is extremely creepy and tense. The individual stories unfold in such an emotional draining way that it's difficult to play too much at a time, and the main story seems to wrap up in a satisfactory manner. All these elements combine to create an atmosphere that is truly unique. It's almost too hard to put in to words, this game needs to be played to get an accurate idea of what it really is.

2. Dragon Age: Inquisition ; The first side of my RPG coin this year, Inquisition has great characters and side stories, but the combat and smaller side quests still need some work. Fill those beautiful areas with interesting things to do!

3. Divinity: Original Sin ; The flip side of the coin, fantastic elemental based combat make this RPG a thrill to play, even if the world and characters are sub-standard.

4. Wolfenstein: The New Order ; Early previews made this game seem like another generic fps, but the alternate history ads really started to turn my head. Surprise of the year for sure. The tight gameplay is supported by a strong story and characters that you can actually care about.

5. Valient Hearts: The Great War ; Emotional roller coaster with a great art style and a real punch-in-the-gut ending. Fantastic soundtrack as well.

6. Metro Redux ; My favorite Metro game updated to make it nearly perfect.

7. Payday 2 DLC ; With no vote for a 2013 game this year, I was worried that I would be unable to give Payday 2 it's due. Though I wasn't able to a list last year, I also didn't get Payday until early this year so the point is moot. But I have been having an absolute blast this year, clocking in around 300 hours. Overkill has been adding content fairly consistently, and the smaller payed packs have allowed for them to release others free of charge. They clearly have a passion for their game and their fans, and the support does not look to be drying up any time soon. The Big Bank is definitely their current magnum opus, and hopefully future dlc's can measure up.

8. Jazzpunk ; If you've played it, you know. If you haven't, let's just say that it pulls off some truly hilarious moments without seeming too "random" or forced. The incredible artstyle plays a huge part in the humour, and the voice acting adds another layer to the ingenious writing. The game quits right when it needs to and leaves quite an impression, excellent overall package.

9. Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall ; Not a whole lot to say about this game, loved Shadowrun Returns, despite being cautious about the mix of fantasy and cyberpunk, and was eager to jump into the world again with Dragonfall. It did not disappoint. Great combat, great aesthetic, and the experience feels a lot less directed than OG Shadowrun Returns.

10. Titanfall ; Titanfall is a pretty good game, but it seems to lack the staying power that other shooters have had over me. I only put 30 hours in to Titanfall (compared to the 20 days I put into games like Blops 1 and MW2), and I think I know why. In games like COD map awareness is key to victory, so once you have the map memorized you know where the chokepoints are, ect. In Titanfall, map control is way less important, because of the openness and verticality, you could be shot (and shoot) from practically anywhere. This creates a less controlled flow than most shooters, and players didn't seem to be able to adapt, allowing some players to absolutely dominate the battlespace. This was probably the reason for the serious drop off in the player base. It's too bad, as the core mechanics were quite fun, the mobility and mechs were awesome. Also that lock on pistol was some serious bullshit.

Honorable Mentions
x. The Evil Within ; There are some very interesting ideas in this game, and the story starts off relatively strong (well, as strong as a horror-mystery can), but it falls mostly on its face in all aspects by the end. The story doesn't really lead anywhere, the biggest mysteries remain unsolved (setting up for inevitable dlc, bleh), and the characters seem to spend most of the game just stumbling about, not really questioning all the fucked up shit going on. The gameplay follows the same arc, it starts off fairly interesting, with the stealth and limited ammo playing off each other very well. but soon descends into same-y encounters, awful friendly AI, and one hit kill boss fights. It stumbles mid-game and then nose dives into a final boss that consists of a turret sequence and a shitty Resident Evil callback. That being said, the section with the invisible enemies is one of my favorite this year, and the art and presentation is fantastic (although those black bars are preposterously big). Overall a disappointing outing from Mikami, hopefully his next outing is better realized.

x. Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor ; Let's just get this out of the way: the nemesis system is pretty cool. Definitely the most "next gen" mechanic we've seen so far. Unfortunately the rest of the game disappoints. Most of which comes from the story and setting. There really is no reason for this to be a Lotr game, the story is completely bland and forgettable, despite peaking my interest for a moment when the wraith's identity is revealed. The combat is good, though it is just a carbon copy of the Arkham games, and this introduces a bit of a problem for me. Having played all the challenge rooms in the Arkham games, I've gotten pretty good at timing those button presses. This lead to situation where I had to purposefully remove myself from combat in certain areas because enemies would just keep spawning and I would just sit there endlessly killing them. Before I knew it, I would have a 300 hit combo and half the nemesis board cleared in a single encounter because the combat was so easy. This happened numerous times, and at the end of the game, when you face off against your nemesis, I had the fairly unique experience of seeing some piece of garbage that had never killed me, but had escaped from me about five times and had a fuckin' bag over his head I cut him up so badly. It was both amusing and pathetic, but it really nailed the point home that the nemesis was a cool, dynamic system that should be looked at by other developers for inspiration.

panda-zebra

1. Destiny ; I know the rules demand reasoning, but everyone knows which side of the line they stand and how far beyond it they reside. My >1000 hours play time (many while physically incapacitated during the early weeks) say more than words can. Met some great people playing this game and enjoy each daily visit, whether it's to raid, to complete a nightfall for what feels like the 10th time that week helping out others or maybe just dicking about on a sparrow for lack of something productive to do. For every mumble and grumble there's a moment of accomplishment. For every RNGeebus curse there's a ZOMGJALLARHORN! (ok, maybe not every one). I'd never really played a multiplayer or co-op game before... beating Atheon for the first time was special, repeating it with others for their first times, hearing their cheers and joy was pretty great, too. It might just be a huge slot machine with guns, but I like it.

2. P.T. ; Maybe it was something to do with low expectations vs the reality of what was presented, I don't know, but as gaming experiences go, going through that alone and with GAF from the evening of release, through the following days, was something special. It stands out as something difficult to see being surpassed in terms of magic and impact. Pure.

Everything else was just games.

1. Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire ; Gen III was my favorite, and I'm glad to see this remade in the X/Y style. Better music, graphics, and thus better looks at some of the world's locales, and more multiplayer options. It's the remake I've wanted for a long time.

2. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call ; Almost everything in the original is in the sequel, and more from more games, plus songs from other games like Romancing SaGa, Bravely Default, and Chrono Trigger. Spent a lot of time with this one.

3. South Park: The Stick of Truth ; What's great about this is that it recreates the world of South Park down to a T. This is the closest you're going to get to standing next to Eric Cartman or partnering with Butters. There's no grinding (always nice in an RPG) and plenty of references to older seasons.

4. Diablo III: Reaper of Souls ; I never had any complaints about Vanilla D3, but I certainly saw improvement with Loot 2.0 (which while it did come out before RoS, it may as well be a part of it). I enjoyed Act V, Adventure Mode makes leveling up more fun, and the Seasons give me new incentive to play.

5. Never Alone ; A game revolving around a culture (the Inupiaq) that few talk about, it's a good puzzle platformer with insights into their culture and way of life.

6. Jazzpunk ; A very surreal walking simulator with certainly unique gags.

7. Shovel Knight ; It feels just like an NES game, and it's very fun collecting loot and such.

8. Master Reboot ; A look into the psyche and memories of a person whose soul has been uploaded into the Soul Cloud, as well as insight into the creation of the Soul Cloud itself.

9. Valiant Hearts: The Great War ; Not many games deal with World War I, but this offers a look at characters who just want to go home and be a family. Also, historical facts, geography, and artifacts from during the war years will educate you about a war that isn't all that talked about in school.

10. Robocraft ; A free-to-play multiplayer arena similar to World of Tanks, but this is faster paced, with a sci-fi theme, and an emphasis on customization of your robots, with new content being added regularly like tank treads and healing guns. However, there are only 6 maps on 2 planets, and they can seem a bit bland.

Honorable Mentions:

s. Five Nights at Freddy's ; I've only made it through the first night, but it's constantly unnerving, and leaves you wondering just when, not if, the animatronics are going to get you. On top of that, only 2 of the 4 animatronics are active so far, so it's going to get even worse.

x. Transistor ; Love Bastion, love the shift to a sci-fi theme, but haven't played it enough, and not in a long time to really judge it.

x. GRID Autosport ; I love the idea of choosing a specific racing career, specifically open wheel, but the broken achievements (at first) turned me off. I haven't played it all that much.

x. Guacamelee Super Turbo Championship Edition ; My GOTY for 2013 gets an updated re-release. Good ideas and new enemies, but I haven't gone through all the new content yet. I'm surprised it wasn't sold as DLC, rather than a completely separate title.

elfinke

Some great posts on this page, and the many before it. Well done, I really enjoyed reading everyone's comments, too. Thank you to everyone who took the time to talk about why they liked what they liked! Here's mine, for 2014.

In a year full of hot nonsense like Gamergate, it was mighty terrific to reflect back on the games I played this year and realise that a good amount of them were about as far removed from said nonsense as can be. In fact, a few of them stand in direct opposition to it, almost in defiance, even if they weren't created purposefully so. In some cases it was comedic, goofball, abstract, nostalgic slapstick (and farts) humour. For others it was living out being a badass - in the case of Dark Souls and Mordor, literally a world-trampling, magic-and-muscle-bound badass, and in the case of Wolf Among Us, roleplaying a badass jerk has never been more satisfying.

Others were all terrific for different reasons again. I’ve only bought two or three pieces of DLC in all my years of gaming, and TLoU:DLC has set the bar for what I consider to be worthwhile DLC. If it were a standalone game it would have been amazing: the way it entwined with the main TLoU story is phenomenal. A truly wonderful piece of content that can stand with the best writing and acting in any other medium you care to mention.

Finally, the banners are all clickable, and each will take you to the game's Steam page, or other pertinent storefront.

So without further ado, my Top 10 for 2014...

1. Jazzpunk ; http://isthereanydeal.com/#/search:jazzpunk;/scroll:#gamelist What if you were made entirely of Easter Eggs?
A) Good B) Bad.
What if every Easter Egg was an elaborate setup for an abstract reference in another five minutes time?
A) Dishwasher B) Microwave.
What if things happened just for the sake of happening that one time?
A) 61 B) 42.
Or sometimes with no regard about what came before or after?
A) Dinosaur B) Helicopter.
What if you replaced every QTE in a David Cage game (<3) with a pun?
A) Trigonometry B) Pythagoras.
Have you ever wanted to behuhuhu the rubhive?
A) Blamespace B) Timedog.
What if you were made entirely of Easter Eggs that were wrapped in puns, while you slid down Leslie Nielsen&#8217;s nose wearing nothing but a whoopee cushion while Lloyd Bridge yelled &#8216;Duck Soup&#8217; jokes at you?
A) Y2Kev B) The Last Guardian.

If you answered mainly D), Jazzpunk is for you, and you might just be a really great personthing. On an x/y chart, you fall -6.82X/+4.15Y, putting you near Elon Musk, Don Bradman and Jules Verne. If you answered §) mainly, you are a famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork doing the raw blink on Hara-Kiri Rock. On the same x/y chart, you are a +§.&#405;&#447;/-microwave pizza, placing you near Tony Abbott, Fox News and Kirk Cameron.

2014 GOTY no doubt. You suck Wedding Cake by choice if you disagree.

2. Dark Souls II ; (http://isthereanydeal.com/#/search:dark souls 2;/scroll:#gamelist) Dear Majula, You know I think you're the greatest dark Soul I've ever had the pleasure of meeting, right? Thank you so much for taking the time to meet with me and my many new friends at the PC club earlier this year, we really appreciated it. And just when I thought you couldn't be a cooler Souls, our mutual friend Durante appeared. From that point on, your eyes gleamed in a way I would never have expected. I understand that you're not everyone's favourite, but I'm writing today to let you know they're wrong. Trust me. I look forward to hearing from you soon, elfinke.

Dear Majula, Don&#8217;t listen to the naysayers: not only are you beautiful and DMCA-worthy, you are much better than your older, more popular sister. I&#8217;ve been there since day one, when your cousin could only be spoken to in a foreign moon language on that one platform. Before your sister got her big break and went multi-platform. Before swearing fealty to the sun was a thing. And now, despite those same naysayers, I firmly believe you are Kylie, not Dannii. You are Nicole, not Antonia. Your bosses could beat up their bosses any day (well, Flamelurker and Smough might think otherwise, but they're chumps!) However, another of your cousins is set to make it big next year, and at that time you will be forgotten to the annals of history. But not before I sing your praises one last time. Thanks for reading my letter, elfinke.

Dear Majula, I haven&#8217;t heard back from you since I last wrote, I assume that is because you are busy with improving your lighting for next year and haven&#8217;t had a chance to write me back. That&#8217;s ok, I expect it&#8217;s a big job and with all the loonies out there looking at every frame of your existence through warped DF glasses: we have learnt it pays to be your best on day one! I write this time to let you know how much I loved your fires, and the ease of which it let me traverse your curves and beauty from our first date. In our throes of passion, particularly at Iron Keep, my love for you never wavered, even after I was cleaved for the umpteenth time by your midriff boss or ganked by a Bat Staff wielding wanker. It all paid off when I was able to ruin other people&#8217;s days at the entrance to the Ancient Dragon for days on end: indeed, PvP hasn't been this good since 4-1. It was magic, blue blooded steel and great moons! Oh well, I'm reminiscing now and getting misty eyed, so I might leave it there - those naysayers I mentioned in the prior letter aren't going to be convinced of their wildly incorrect opinions of you at this late stage. I don&#8217;t expect you to write back, so just know that I enjoyed my several hundred hours with you more than almost anything else this year. I can&#8217;t wait to meet your cousin next year, I&#8217;ll say hello in your stead. Kind regards and love forever more, elfinke.

3. South Park: The Stick Of Truth ; http://isthereanydeal.com/#/search:south park;/scroll:#gamelist This is a game that knows it is a game and is better for it. I haven&#8217;t watched South Park since high school, which is nearer to 20 years ago than it is 10 (not including having watched the movie in cinemas when it came out), but this game reignited that desire (so Hulu now showing all 18 seasons is perfectly timed!) Obsidian remain the greatest &#8216;AAA&#8217; RPG developer in business right now by such a large margin it isn't funny - Bethesda could learn a lot from you beautiful bastards! (&#8216;AAA&#8217; distinction only because I think there are some smaller, indy-ish devs out there doing good work - Divinity for example.) I laughed myself silly at numerous times throughout, at any number of different jokes, both visual and audio. Matt Stone and Trey Parker ought to be enshrined in dildos at Mt. Rushmore whenever they decide to hang up their boots.

4. The Wolf Among Us: Episodes 2-5 ; http://isthereanydeal.com/#/search:the wolf among us;/scroll:#gamelist I loved every damn thing about this game, and I've had to have a really good hard think about where in my top ten it sits: I'm still not sure that it isn't too low here at four. The look of it, the sound track, the VA, the naming conventions and world that has been built (of which I was not familiar with until this game was released.) BigB is easily my favourite protagonist of 2014, and possibly even longer - that is, if you played him as a selfish,slightly sociopathic bruiser who figured &#8216;getting shit done now&#8217; was better than thinking about it and taking reasonable, rational action later. Playing a character like that was a such a wonderful piece of escapism for me - who'd a thunk telling a talking pig, a flying monkey and an ungrateful toad's child to 'get fucked' could be so carthartic? That juxtaposition - of being such a rogue - combined with a familiar cast of genteel fairytale characters whom I&#8217;d not had anything to do with in three decades meant I had a smile on my face from go to whoah. Telltales best work to date, even surpassing the sublime Walking Dead Season 1.

5. Shovel Knight ; Not just a love letter to games of old, Shove Knight is a truly faithful recreation of the best things about them.

6. The Last Of Us: Left Behind ; I've only bought three or four pieces of DLC, ever:
u1ZgRz4.jpg

7. Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor ; http://isthereanydeal.com/#/search:mordor;/scroll:#gamelist Ah, this is my type of game: remove all the superfluous junk that doesn&#8217;t add anything to my satisfaction (Ubisoft could learn a thing or two from that), refine the core gameplay loop until it is polished beyond its peers, remove stuff that inhibits me getting to the fun stuff (particularly around terrain traversal), mix in a novel AI system, remove game-breaking jank and release. Superb gaming.

8. Wolfenstein: The New Order ; http://isthereanydeal.com/#/search:wolfenstein;/scroll:#gamelist

Boy am I glad I jumped in on this. I enjoyed Wolfenstein for much of the same reasons I enjoyed Mordor, even if the compelling mechanics are miles apart. By that I mean that I loved that Wolfenstein threw me into its world, gave me some immensly satisfying weaponry and said 'go for it'. It didn't get bogged down in over explaining things, there are no skill trees to fuss over, or branching story lines, it doesn't take itself too seriously and similar to Mordor all the jank and gates that slow down lesser games have been removed. Combine those aspects with being tremendous looking while running very well on my PC, with extremely well-acted cut scenes and not overstaying its welcome, Wolfenstein is the Blood Dragon or Call of Juarez of 2014 for me and well worth any shooting-focused FPS fans time.

Well done Machine Games, you did really great with this.

9. Ziggurat ; http://isthereanydeal.com/#/search:ziggurat;/scroll:#gamelist A real late runner into my top ten (bumping Banished out, which I implore all Caesar 3 fans to buy and play), this is like Tower of Guns, Hard Reset and <your favourite Rogue-like game> mixed together. I really dig what Ziggurat is doing: randomly generated levels (pulled from a barrel of pre-generated tiles, it seems), satisfying arena-shooting and movement, well incorporated puzzle levels, tough bosses and a great aesthetic. Ziggurat is a real gem, and I hope it finds success among the PC community.

10. Kingdom Rush: Origins ; Looking at the games that missed out on my top ten this year, it probably seems like blasphemy that this would be on here and not those. But fair dinkum, I had such fun with the newest iteration of Kingdom Rush and for that, it pips those below.

x. The Walking Dead Season Two ; not nearly as compelling as Season 1, but still entirely worthwhile playing through. I didn't enjoy playing as Clem as much as I did Lee (though I expect that is more to do with the service she is given, and the circumstances she is found in, compared to Lee, rather than any intrinsic personal attribute of Clem) and many of the big decisions in S2 came across as more contrived, or were telegraphed in advance. Perhaps this is due to us all having played S1 and have now seen the puppeteers strings and were looking again for them in S2, or perhaps there was an identifiable drop in quality (aside from technical - I found S2 was a mess in voice acting and animation compared to S1). Either way, this was a bunch of fun that I'm glad I played through. Now wrap it up and let's wriggle onto something else!

x. Mario Kart 8 ; best Mario Kart since the SNES, for sure. Looks great (sosmooth.gif) and plays well. I haven't had much to do with the online aspect, or the MP in general, but I'll rectify that in the coming weeks as family come to visit. Nonetheless, what a blast, the WiiU has been a superb purchase in 2014.

x. Transistor ; I love the way this looks and sounds so damn much. What an aesthetic, far out. However, I haven't had the time to really get stuck into the core mechanics and fully enjoy what is here. A worthy follow-up to Bastion.

x. Lords of the Fallen ; Hoo boy, there is a chance that this will sneak into my top ten and ruin all this formatting! Crashes to desktop and low memory warnings aside, this is a really terrific Souls-lite experience (as if Souls and Gears of War got mixed up), with enough individual quirks and nuance to make it stand apart. It also looks fantastic on PC. If I find time get stuck into this, it'll find itself in the top ten, I think.

x. Banished ; Caesar 3 for 2014. The early game is fantastic, the mid game hard work. The mechanics are at first impenetrable, but spend the time pushing at things, kill off a few (dozen) colonies and before you know it, you'll be settling massive trade depots along the rivers wild.

x. Divinity: Original Sin ; I wish I had more time to get into this, and I wish it had controller support. The hour or two I have spent with it I really, really enjoyed, but can't in good conscience give it a run in my top 10 based on just that. But what a ripper RPG!

700px-Inquisition_members.png

1. Dragon Age Inquisition

50+ hours in, about half way through and loving every second. The UI sucks and theres far to many little thing to collect which is distracting. but the main campaign is every i want froma video game.

banner-saga.jpg

2. Banner Saga - IOS

I only started playing this a few day ago because i dont have any consoles at my parents but its totally hooked me. The story is gripping and the combat is very enjoyable.

The-Walking-Dead-Season-2.jpg

3. The Walking Dead Season 2.

The first season had the better story but playing as clem / a little girl is like nothing ive experienced in games before. its interesting playing as someone who is dependent on others but still a total badass

4. The Wolf Among Us

5. Lara Croft and the temple of Osiris

6. Infamous Second Son

7. Transistor

8. Farcry 4

9. Divinity Origial Sin

10. Fifa 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom