• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2014 - Voting Thread [voting closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Dragon Age: Inquisition ; hatersgonnahate.gif ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
2. Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor ; Great combat + great traversal + LotR + Nemesis system = a lot more fun than I expected, and still delivering with the Lord of the Hunt DLC.
3. Dark Souls 2 ; A good sequel to DS1 on its own, the three DLCs were really great and probably bumped it up a few spots. The only thing holding it back from going higher was not having as cohesive and well-designed of a world as DS1 did.
4. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance ; Not much to say about it, just that it was very fun and very satisfying.
5. Transistor ; Beautiful game with an amazing soundtrack. The combat took a while to get going, but once you got access to more powers/upgrades it was a blast.
6. Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls ; Even though Blizzard still can't figure out how to patch in a timely manner, the expansion and its accompanying 2.0 patch revitalized the game for me and kept me playing for a good many months, sucking away dozens of hours.
7. Wolfenstein: The New Order ; I didn't pay much attention to this game pre-release but decided to give it a shot after lots of positive impressions. Most fun I've had playing an FPS in years.
8. Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel ; After BL2 and all its DLC I had had enough of BL for a while and this game just looked like a DLC turned into a full game cash-grab rather than a "proper" full featured sequel like I hope BL3 will be... but I got it on a whim and ended up enjoying it more than BL2.
9. Far Cry 4 ; Taking Far Cry 3's mechanics and putting them together with a much more interesting setting and characters was refreshing, but I did end up feeling a bit of that Ubisoft fatigue near the end.
10. Assassin's Creed Unity ; A terrible messy launch, but I waited until patch 4 was out and have had a pretty smooth, well-performing experience with max settings + FXAA on a 970. Best "Assassin's Creed" mechanics of the series, but Paris is a bit bland for how well-built it is, especially with the revolution serving as strictly a backdrop. Not quite as fun as Black Flag. Pirates!

x. Divinity: Original Sin ; A friend put it well by saying it was "a technical masterpiece but lacked any soul". The combat/interaction was top-notch but I couldn't bring myself to care about the world/story at all.
x. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes ; Excited to be getting V on PC, this was a nice intro to how V will play, even if it was incredibly short.
x. Child of Light ; More UbiArt games please :>
x. The Talos Principle ; Not something I expected from the guys that made Serious Sam, a very enjoyable Portal-esque puzzler.
x. Tales from the Borderlands ; While I'm not really a fan of Telltale's games, I do quite like the Borderlands setting/lore. This was an interesting take on it in that it wasn't all shoot shoot bang bang, but still quite fun and humorous.

TP17

1. Hearthstone ; I've lost so much time to this game this year from playing arenas and constructed, gimmick decks with friends and also the naxxramus single player mode. I haven't played much since the Goblins vs Gnomes expansion was released but I know it's a game I'm going to keep coming back to - need to break through that arena 11 win glass ceiling next year!
2. South Park: The Stick of Truth ; I loved this game, it was like one long interactive episode. Very funny and highly recommended.
3. The Walking Dead: Season 2 ; It didn't hit the heights of the first season for me but still another great experience.
4. Divinity: Original Sin ; I didn't know anything about this game until it's release and I'm glad I picked it up. Although I didn't get too far this year in playing it the quality was easy to see and I'm going to enjoy going back when I find the time.
5. The Wolf Among Us ; Another great telltale game and although I prefer the walking dead series this was still a fun experience and a great world to base a game on.

1. Bayonetta 2 ; The sequel to what was already my favorite 3D action game, Baoynetta 2 refines the experience of the first and took out the parts that I didn't like as much such as the split second QTEs. What surprised me the most is how much fun the online mode is! Bayonetta 2 is an exhilarating and masterfully crafted experience with enormous replay value, beautiful visuals, excellent sound direction and features some of the best controls in gaming.

2. Shovel Knight ; Could be my favorite indie release ever and a true love letter to the NES days. As an avid NES gamer this game was a no brainer, and was wonderfully designed through and through. I will not be surprised when Shovel Knight ends up in my rotation next to Mario, Mega Man, Castlevania, etc…

3. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze ; While I enjoyed Returns, there were a few issues preventing me from fully loving it. TF is the sequel I didn't know I wanted. The graphical improvements are fairly obvious to see, but where this game stands out is its terrific level design, possibly the tightest design in a platformer ever. The new characters are great fun and the controls were even improved. I haven't even mentioned the excellent David Wise soundtrack yet!

4. The Evil Within ; A very interesting game directed by one of my all-time favorites, Shinji Mikami. This game managed to freak me out a number of times, through both its scenario and tense gameplay. I maintain that this is not a game for everyone as it has a fairly large learning curve and plethora of one hit kills. The large learning curve is caused by its constantly changing nature - nearly every chapter offers its own horrors. By the end of the game I learned to appreciate it all, even with my many deaths.

5. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U ; After being disappointed with the 3DS game release, I was not that excited for the Wii U version, but the week of the Wii U version's release there was a large patch which altered the game for the better. It has easily been the local multiplayer event of the year for me and my friends.

6. Titanfall ; Great online multiplayer game, I was hooked with the pilot controls and parkour. On top of that summoning titans to assist in battle adds another layer of depth to matches. If I hadn't run into technical issues when joining games I would have played this game a lot more, but after all the updates throughout the year those issues are gone and the game is even more fun to play now.

7. Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes ; I was already a big fan of Metal Gear for a long time, so getting a taste of the fifth entry this year was one of my most enjoyable experiences. The new controls and open layout of this prologue were astoundingly good, and the story whets my appetite for The Phantom Pain in 2015. If this were a full game I think it would have a very strong chance at landing in my top three games but since GZ is just one map with multiple scenarios it falls a bit lower on my list. The Phantom Pain is one of my most anticipated games for next year

8. Mario Kart 8 ; Good follow up to Mario Kart 7 and a return to form for me in terms of console Mario Karts. The HD visuals really benefit this game and the track design is mostly strong. Shout outs to having my favorite DLC of the year! Unfortunately, the battle mode is severely lacking and is one reason to go back to older Mario Kart games.

9. South Park: The Stick of Truth ; I have been watching South Park since the first episode aired, and have played many South Park licensed games over the years since then. Stick of Truth is the first one to truly and fully capture the essence of the show. Playing this game is like actually living in South Park with many of the characters from the show. The RPG elements are not the strongest in the genre, but are good enough to keep it interesting throughout the bizarre journey. I am sure I will revisit this game many times in the future!

10. Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth ; Really the gameplay here is Etrian Odyssey, but the personality and characters are purely Persona. As an avid Persona fan and a relatively new EO fan, this game hits a sweet spot for me. Seeing the P3 and P4 casts crossover and interact is almost worth the price of admission on its own, but the dungeon crawling gameplay is just as addicting as ever.

Honorable Mentions:
x. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call ; While I enjoyed the first game, I didn't love it. The sequel features a much more robust song selection, as well as an encouragement to grow characters and manage their abilities. The quests became more addicting to me than the Dark Notes of the original, and the new versus mode is MUCH more fun than the multiplayer in the first.
x. Persona 4 Arena Ultimax ; Great revision version with a full slate of balancing changes as well as fun new characters, this is an excellent title for both fighting game fans and Persona fans alike.
x. Guilty Gear Xrd Sign ; Another great Arcsys fighter that brings back a classic franchise...this is the most visually appealing game I have ever seen.
x. Grand Theft Auto V (PS4) ; I am glad I waited for this remastered version of the game because it is highly enjoyable with the visual additions. Gameplay is massively improved over GTA IV to me!
x. The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth ; More refined than the previous entry, yet the random parameters of this game are even crazier this time around. Found myself addicted to this for daysssssssss.

I
Bayonetta_2_1.jpg

Bayonetta 2
Platinum Games, Nintendo

Bayonetta 2 feels like it came from an alternate dimension where the Sega Dreamcast and its bright blue skies arcade style won the console war. A world in which immediate fun AND an abundance of depth lived in harmony, and were awarded with millions of adoring fans. A place where games were expected to be polished affairs filled with bonus unlockable content and actually worked day one without day one patches or retailer exclusive DLC. A masterpiece that almost didn't actually get made in our world, but we're all a little lucky that it did.

Bayonetta 2 is like playing with all of DMC4 Dante's Styles as the same time and married it to God of War's bombast. It has the slick aggressive defense of Ninja Gaiden Black that will occasionally explode into a DMC Devil Trigger. It has Battletoad's satisfying combo enders of enlarged limbs and Streets of Rage 3's weapon pick-ups with a limited bar for special move usage.

Bayonetta 2 has a dodge, a completely invincible, free-wheeling dodge on the right trigger that for a brief moment allows you to dodge everything from laser swords to kung-fu strikes by cosmic deities. A dodge that encourages the player to learn their opponents tells both visual and audio, to stylishly avoid a hit and continue the relentless offensive. A dodge that, when pressed twice in quick succession turns you into a panther that controls like sex, so smooth in its movements and so right in its weight.

Bayonetta 2 was not satisfied with the many heights its predecessor reached. The first game's piss filter is gone, replaced with an HD sheen and vibrant colors. Weapons have been expanded from their default movesets, with all new animations and effects to make them more differentiated and viable. The arcadey variety segments have been shortened, their camera angles improved for proper visibility, tuned to maximum efficiency. Bosses have been improved, with a larger focus on one-on-one fights and less giant platforming challenges. Level design has been streamlined, almost every chapter a string of memorable, replayable encounters, with almost twice as many enemy types as before.

Bayonetta 2 is hardly satisfied with just delivering bang for your buck. It wants to overdeliver. It must grant the player a stupid amount of delectable distractions, ooddles of collectibles and secret fights and a dozen costumes and cheats and modes in the vein that modern AAA games just don't do very much of anymore. It even throws in the best version of Bayonetta 1 entirely for free, out of the kindness of its heart. There's even a fuckin' Star Fox 64 section, complete with original visual designs and sound effects.

Bayonetta 2 is like the feeling you get when you play Virtua Cop with both hands. Its like dodging a tight bullet pattern in DoDonPachi. Its like taking on Nemesis with just the knife. Its like following up a Hadouken and going in for a tic throw in Street Fighter 2. Its the sound of time of distorting when you come in and out of slow-mo in F.E.A.R. Its like running up a wall in Sonic and jumping off, using the momentum to reach heights you couldn't at walking speed. Its like discovering how to wall jump in Super Metroid. Its like completing Contra without the Konami Code. Its like discovering a secret chest in Zelda. Its like getting the high score in Time Crisis 2 in the arcade, a small following of on-lookers gazing at awe at the grace in which you dispatch its color-coded criminals. Its like main-lining PURE FUCKIN' VIDEO GAME for close to a dozen hours straight. And then you do it again in a blue Chinese dress with whips on your feet and chainsaw gauntlets.

Its the greatest video game of 2014.
moreno-crying-gif.gif

Like last year, I'm doing a Top 5. Five games that I really enjoyed, five games I can hold up and say, yeah, video games are the fuckin' best and that's just the way it is.

V
left_behind_2_jpg_0x0_q85.jpg

Steamworld Dig
Image&Form

How do you do a direct follow-up to the Last of Us? Something that seem so confident and complete that upon completion, it feels like its particular narrative has been fully extracted. Any other embellishments, superfluous. But when your new ip sells six million copies in a single year, you don't get to NOT make expansions to sell to customers for a bit more money. The single player story expansion is a dubious idea; how many really GOOD ones have they're been in the last decade? Shadow Broker, Citadel, Minerva's Den...its a small list. Well, pencil in another nominee, as Neil Druckmann, Bruce Straley and the rest of their team at Naughty Dog decided to handle Left Behind with the same amount of care and craft that went into the Last of Us proper.

The DLC has you controlling Ellie, playing out a crucial moment that the main game by-passed interspersed with flashbacks to her earlier years with fellow teen survivor, Riley. This structure allows Naughty Dog the ability to indulge in whatever passive bits of interaction and softer story elements in the younger years while still giving gamers a more traditional action/puzzle side with the older Ellie. These action sections are familiar, admitingly, after 15+ hours of playing the last game, but with Ellie's weak state and lack of inventory(especially on higher difficulties), they can still deliver a pulpy, visceral thrill. The Hunter AI is still dynamic, improvisonal fun, with bloody desperate bursts of action popping up in-between the longer beats of quiet sneaking tension. Furthermore, Left Behind introduces the idea of playing the Hunters and the Infected zombies against one enough. The enemy of my enemy, as they say, as you lure the factions against the other into combat, picking off the stranglers or just darting right pass the mayhem.

But its in the earlier years of Ellie's life where the heart of the game lies. Its the final day before Ellie's best friend Riley goes off to travel the country as a Firefly, a bittersweet girls night out at the abandoned mall. Carousals glow with a nostalgic brown hue, moss and plant life bursting through the pavement, reclaiming the world humans left behind. Silly superficial attractions like Halloween masks and record players come to life for a brief moment as two innocent kids indulge themselves like children used to do before everything went to Hell. There's a tangible context that justifies searching every room and touching everything, and its to Naughty Dog's credit they justify this environmental interaction with humorous asides and meaningful storytelling alike. Won't spoil everything here, but its absurdly delightful experience all told, delivering a level of levity that makes its dark reality all the more powerful. It ends with a wonderful "final battle" that walks the tightrope between tragic and playful, and it totally sticks the ending of that particular sequence.

This is all delivered with a industry standard level of craftsmanship, especially on the 1080p/60fps Remastered edition. Ashley Johnson is goddamn note perfect as Ellie, Yaani King almost as good as Riley. The animations, both big and small, loud and subtle, are top of the line in 2014. Lots of great, detailed art assets that make the world feel tangible, and there's another great soundtrack that manages to enhance all its various emotional beats without overpowering them.

Left Behind is one of those rare things in video games; an expansion that actually ADDS to the original game. It deepens the relationship between Ellie and Joel even when the latter isn't around, and gives us a greater knowledge of who Ellie is and what her motives are. Its an highly polished affair that leaves you wanting more, even when you know its time to move on. Well, until the inevitable sequel of course...the game sold six million copies, remember?

IV
Wolfenstein_The_New_Order_22.jpg

The Tomorrow Children Alpha
Q-Games

One of my favorite lines from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade is when Indy finds out its his old foes from the Third Reich behind his latest adventure. “Nazis…I hate these guys!” he quips, as if he was dealing with some pesky rodents rummaging through his house. Nazis have become the ultimate cartoon villains in pop culture over the past 50 or so years. Their all-black ensemble, funny sounding German accents, and universally agreed upon evilness makes them easy fodder for our heroes to beat again and again without offending anyone. Wolfenstein is a franchise built on the resilient idea that shooting Nazis is an appealing idea you can sell to anyone, and the latest entry continues this tradition, with a few interesting quirks.

The original hero BJ Blackowicz returns, who after a failed WW2 mission to kill General Deathshead, wakes from a coma 18 years later to find out the Nazi succeeded in taking over the world. The episodic plot sends BJ to different interesting locations to gather the tools and people he’ll need to bring down the fascist totalitarian regime. The story is a mix of the Indiana Jones pulp adventure fun of killing Nazis mixed with a more serious approach to the inherent terror of these enemies and how ultimately good people cope in these terrible times. It doesn’t always work of course; several of its sober-minded incidents don’t land in the context of robot dog murdering and ancient Jewish power armor, but its always interesting nonetheless. The real power comes through in the various character interactions. MachineGames was founded by key members of Starbreeze Studios (the creators of Chronicles of Riddick and The Darkness) and it shows. Their skill at mining great performances out of pulpy material is on full display here, crafting likable characters though nicely animated scenes and surprisingly good dialog.

But anyway: Nazi shooting, right? Wolfenstein: The New Order is littered with hundred of evil fascist bastards to gun down in various shapes and sizes. Mecha Nazis! Dog Nazis! Giant Mecha Dog Nazis! Its quite an array of antagonists, but BJ acquires a satisfying arsenal of weapons throughout the game. There are the usual machine guns, snipers, and shotguns players are familiar with, with a couple of unique tools thrown in like a Laser gun that can cut through metal and evolves into a pretty deadly sci-fi WMD near the end. Almost every weapon can be dual-wielded (yes, even the sniper rifles), and there’s really nothing like tearing down a hall of Nazis with dual shotguns blazing. Guns fire with a satisfying weight and recoil, mildly shaking the screen and hitting enemies with a chunky sound and/or bright hit indicators for the mechs. In a refreshingly old school approach, players are granted more than two weapons a time, combined with level design that often encourages multiple approaches to battle. There’s a distinct Goldeneye 64 feel to it, really, with optional stealth approaches and secondary objectives, not to mention the glory of dual wielding anything. BJ’s health is a mix of modern regenerating health systems and old school pick-ups, complete with overcharging health and 90s sound effects. The hard difficulty is a pretty decent challenge, forcing the player to think on their feet in battle and fully utilize their arsenal and environment to survive.

Its not all shooting Nazis in the face. TNO has a fantastic sense of pacing throughout, where corridor battles are off-set by larger multi-tiered fights, stealth areas following vehicular/turret sections, and exciting set pieces mixed with moments of down time and exploration. The mandatory exploration parts are the weak link and a bit naff, admitingly, but its almost forgivable just as a breather and interaction with the characters. MachineGames decided against tacked-on multiplayer in favor a meaty single player FPS experience, milking the Wolfenstein concept for all its worth. Before the game is over, players will storm Nazi castles, breach underwater fortresses in search of ancient power weapons, escape from a Jewish containment camp in style, and yes, walk across the mothafuckin’ Moon. In a world of short, subpar single player FPS campaigns, The New Order is a breath of fresh air.

There’s a distinct unpolished B-game feel to everything that holds it back from real greatness. Perhaps it’s the id tech5 engine that makes everything look like an impressive last gen game at best, or maybe it’s the rather shit sound mix that comes and goes without rhyme or reason. Maybe it’s the way the dual barreled shotgun sounds, a meek muffled wimpy cough that would make baby black Jesus cry, or not being able to listen to journals/recordings as you play. Its definitely got something to do with how braindead the stealth often is, with idiotic AI and inconsistent enemy sight/sound ranges. A more concerning player could nitpick this to death if that is their will.

However, this would be a fool’s errand. What is here works, often very well, and its flaws and imperfections work to make its lengthy experience a more interesting one than your typical AAA action game. Wolfenstein: The New Order doesn’t reinvent the wheel, and it didn’t have to. It knows full well that killing Nazis is a fun and simple idea, but not an excuse for lazy craftsmanship or disrespecting the audience’s intelligence.

III
mariokart8.jpg

MLB The Show
SCE San Diego

A new Nintendo console, a new Mario Kart. Like clockwork the big N puts out another entry in its ever-popular franchise, adding a few things but keeping the same accessible charm of cartoon characters racing really fast around colorful courses. After a couple of, IMO, disappointing console entries in Double Dash and Wii, Mario Kart 8 has assimilated all the past games innovations and polished them to a shine. Annoying features like item hording and snaking have been removed, and cool ideas like trick jumps and drift boosts work wonders for the rhythm of the race. The brilliance of Mario Kart has always been there from the beginning however: the item system. Scattered around the course are random item boxes you pick up and reward you with things like homing projectiles, giant bombs, slippery banana peels, brief bouts of invincibility, or maybe a Bullet Bull that lets you speed through to the head of the pack. Even with skilled application, its all a bit of random of course, and that’s the genius of it. In Mario Kart 8, you can collect all the coins for max speed, hit your max drift boosts around tight corners and nail all your trick jumps, find all the shortcuts, and still end up at the bottom of the pack with some unlucky rolls. And its there you realize that the fun of Mario Kart isn’t in being in first unchallenged (which is frankly kinda boring), but in the chaotic middle as you struggle to get ahead. There’s few things better than the thrill of coming in top 3 after clawing your way back, and nothing quite like the “FUCK THIS GAME” throwing of hands when you get hit by a red shell, bullet bill, and horn in quick succession. That bit of randomness in these tracks keeps the game alive, evens the playing field, and makes every race a new experience.

This all takes place on 40 different tracks, almost all of them excellent, almost all of them gorgeous. The new lighting system and texture work really sparkle in HD, with a smooth 60fps experience that makes MK8 a spectacle to behold. Races play out like perfect pop songs, 3 minutes in length, laudable feats of engineering and co-ordination look effortless in the pursuits of addictive hooks and rhythms. Its an exciting, often hilarious game, win or lose, packed with so many little incidental details that showcase the kind of prowess Nintendo has attained at this now 20+ year old franchise. It’s the prettiest, most polished, downright best Mario Kart they’ve ever made.

II
donkey_kong_tropical_freeze_5.jpg

Divinity: Original Sin
Larian Studios

In 2010, Retro Studios released one of the greatest 2D platformers of all-time in Donkey Kong Country Returns. Now I don’t know the inner workings of the studio, but playing the sequel Tropical Freeze, I have to imagine the main design philosophy was, “let’s do that again, but better”.

A quick glance of screenshots or even videos, you might be hard pressed to see the difference. It’s a nice enough lookin’ game, busy with highly detailed animations and architectural elements working together, although its clearly made on the Returns Wii engine, with a nice HD sheen. The lighting has improved, and DK’s fur is furrier than ever, but if you played the original you know what to expect on that front.

Donkey Kong still moves with the hefty mass a tie-wearing gorilla of his size should carry. While not quite as nimble on his feet of his former rival Mario, controlling DK is still highly enjoyable. He explodes onto each level with a screen-shaking slam and a howl of domination, and it really sets the course for the entire game. When he lands from barrel blast, a cartoony explosion under his feet lands, and when he hops on enemies there’s a deep bass “plomp” sound aided by a super addictive and rewarding higher-pitched “bop” that comes out of your controller that gives you a real sense of how powerful this anthropomorphic monkey is. The roll jump feels better than ever, now more dependable with the satisfying tactility of a button press, DK’s natural slow acceleration giving way to sudden bursts of freewheeling momentum.

The feel of controlling a force of a nature is further reflected in the level design proper. Unlike the mostly static environments of Rare’s DKC trilogy, Retro’s interpretation of the franchise has some of the liveliest 2D platformer stages you’ll ever see. You regularly interact with the background elements, and your actions frequently and dynamically change up the landscape of the world. The stages are cleverly choreographed calamity, feeling much like the best kind of action movies; intricately painstaking crafted to look as wildly chaotic as possible. The stages have various peaks and valleys, switching between ideas at the benefit of the pacing. They build logically and organically, the elements foreshadowed in the background coming into play in the future, the new elements you’re introduced to gradually building into a grand climax or combination. They’re real marvels of game design, as one level they’re full of areas and avenues to slow down and explore, yet all the enemy and platform placement has been distinctly designed for speed runs(as the Gold Medal Time Trial videos expertly display). This multi-purpose structure opens the doors to a variety of play styles you can choose or switch between on the fly, reacting and adapting to whatever new obstacle the game throws at you.

The ever-changing level design is aided by the dynamically-shifting tunes of David Wise, the original composer of the DKC trilogy brought in to sprinkle his musical magic on us mortals. He’s generally in a bit more “happy” mood ala his Diddy Kong Racing and DKC3GBA soundtracks, but it fits the more celebratory and lively Retro games. From the Switzerland Alps to the depths of the oceans, the burning Savannah and the dark caverns, the songs are a perfect match to the environments and the atmosphere Retro wants to convey. Irate Eight flips back and forth from a ponderous Yamamoto Metroid Prime style to the frantic escape remix of Wise’s Lockjaw’s Saga. The already popular Grassland Groove grows and shifts with the three tiers of the stage design, before combining its previous sounds into one climatic explosion as the level nears its conclusion and combines its own platforming elements. Amiss Abyss matches the classic Aquatic Ambiance for its soothing melodies that capture the mysterious and wonderful sea of serendipity you often find yourself in this time around.

All these elements combine into an incredibly polished and cohesive experience. My appreciation of the Dong has grown over time, no doubt. Can’t get enough of it, really. Think I’m bout to go play with dat Dong right now, actually.

I
Bayonetta_2_1.jpg

Transistor
Supergiant Games

Bayonetta 2 feels like it came from an alternate dimension where the Sega Dreamcast and its bright blue skies arcade style won the console war. A world in which immediate fun AND an abundance of depth lived in harmony, and were awarded with millions of adoring fans. A place where games were expected to be polished affairs filled with bonus unlockable content and actually worked day one without day one patches or retailer exclusive DLC. A masterpiece that almost didn't actually get made in our world, but we're all a little lucky that it did.

Bayonetta 2 is like playing with all of DMC4 Dante's Styles as the same time and married it to God of War's bombast. It has the slick aggressive defense of Ninja Gaiden Black that will occasionally explode into a DMC Devil Trigger. It has Battletoad's satisfying combo enders of enlarged limbs and Streets of Rage 3's weapon pick-ups with a limited bar for special move usage.

Bayonetta 2 has a dodge, a completely invincible, free-wheeling dodge on the right trigger that for a brief moment allows you to dodge everything from laser swords to kung-fu strikes by cosmic deities. A dodge that encourages the player to learn their opponents tells both visual and audio, to stylishly avoid a hit and continue the relentless offensive. A dodge that, when pressed twice in quick succession turns you into a panther that controls like sex, so smooth in its movements and so right in its weight.

Bayonetta 2 was not satisfied with the many heights its predecessor reached. The first game's piss filter is gone, replaced with an HD sheen and vibrant colors. Weapons have been expanded from their default movesets, with all new animations and effects to make them more differentiated and viable. The arcadey variety segments have been shortened, their camera angles improved for proper visibility, tuned to maximum efficiency. Bosses have been improved, with a larger focus on one-on-one fights and less giant platforming challenges. Level design has been streamlined, almost every chapter a string of memorable, replayable encounters, with almost twice as many enemy types as before.

Bayonetta 2 is hardly satisfied with just delivering bang for your buck. It wants to overdeliver. It must grant the player a stupid amount of delectable distractions, ooddles of collectibles and secret fights and a dozen costumes and cheats and modes in the vein that modern AAA games just don't do very much of anymore. It even throws in the best version of Bayonetta 1 entirely for free, out of the kindness of its heart. There's even a fuckin' Star Fox 64 section, complete with original visual designs and sound effects.

Bayonetta 2 is like the feeling you get when you play Virtua Cop with both hands. Its like dodging a tight bullet pattern in DoDonPachi. Its like taking on Nemesis with just the knife. Its like following up a Hadouken and going in for a tic throw in Street Fighter 2. Its the sound of time of distorting when you come in and out of slow-mo in F.E.A.R. Its like running up a wall in Sonic and jumping off, using the momentum to reach heights you couldn't at walking speed. Its like discovering how to wall jump in Super Metroid. Its like completing Contra without the Konami Code. Its like discovering a secret chest in Zelda. Its like getting the high score in Time Crisis 2 in the arcade, a small following of on-lookers gazing at awe at the grace in which you dispatch its color-coded criminals. Its like main-lining PURE FUCKIN' VIDEO GAME for close to a dozen hours straight. And then you do it again in a blue Chinese dress with whips on your feet and chainsaw gauntlets.

--

alright, that's it. Thanks ViewtifulJC for being a lame and not making a list, so I can safely still his format and nobody will notice. GET AT ME

This also pretty much describes my experience with Tropical Freeze's harder levels when liberally using the roll jump :p

Did it take you 12 hours to finish Bayo 2? I started on 2nd climax and got to chapter 7, then went back and finished the entire thing on 3rd climax. My file playtime was 8 hours and change, though I was skipping cutscenes with reckless abandon.

Teletraan1

Banned
1. Bayonetta 2 ; This is simply the best gaming experience I have had this year or any year for a while I just marathoned the game so it is my freshest but it undoubtedly deserves the top spot. I had never played this series before picking them both up on Wii U but the sequel was better in every way to the original. The original doesn't even make my list due to the litany of issue I have with the game that were all fixed with Bayonetta 2.
2. Mario Kart 8 ; I haven't enjoyed a MK since 64. I never buy DLC but bought it for this game. Game is just pure fun.
3. The Last of Us: Remastered ; One of the best games I have ever played despite not really being into the genre. If I was more into TPS it would be a dogfight with Bayo2.
4. Grand Theft Auto V ; I love just fucking around in these games. The level if detail in this game is insane. All the little touches make this a must have. I actually enjoy the online for once and can't wait for heists.
5. South Park: The Stick of Truth ; I have never had a game so perfectly deliver on its licence before. This could be an episode of the show it set the standard for how licenced games should be done.
6. Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition ; Played the original D3 on PC for hundreds of hours. Love the way the game controls with a controller and I never want to play this series again with a mouse and keyboard.
7. Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn ; The best Final Fantasy game I have played since XII. Plays perfectly with a controller.
8. Dragon Age: Inquisition ; While the MMO style optional quests might cause enough fervor to have 2 threads going on the first page of this site in the last few days I enjoyed the game as a whole package.
9. Tropico 5 ; I love city builders and have always loved this series. Definitely pick this up if you have any interest in city builders.
10. Valkyria Chronicles ; Played it originally on PS3 but this is a pretty good PC port. This game oozes charm like no other. Sad it's sequels got relegated to handheld mediocrity.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
shovelgaf77svs.png

1. Shovel Knight ; It's a mashup of two of the best 8 bit era platformers and does it extremely well. The music, level design, and gameplay all come together to form a game that is largely better than many of its influences.

2. Dark Souls 2 ; Not quite up to the level of its two predecessors, but it still features supremely fun combat in a wide variety of environments.

3. Infamous: Second Son ; What the Infamous games do well is extremely satifying traversal. This one is no different. The open world might not be filled with 900 menial tasks to do, but frankly, I find that refreshing in the age of Ubisopenworld game design.

4. South Park: The Stick of Truth ; As someone who fell off the South Park bandwagon years ago I had some hesitation playing this game. Luckily the game is extremely well written, the world is fully realized, and I surprisingly had fun with turn based RPG combat.

5. Far Cry 4 ; Even as someone who usually hates the "Ubisoft Open World" game design, Far Cry 4 seems to not bother me much. The actual gameplay being fun probably has something to do with it.

6. Destiny ; I came into this with very little hype, so I can't say I was let down as many people seem to be. The gunplay was tight and the world was fun to explore. Mission design was a little too samey, but I could tolerate it by focusing on the positive things the game does.

7. The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth ; I could do without the poop humor and would appreciate not having to have a faq open to play the game, but the underlying game is still super fun.

8. Wolfenstein: The New Order ; Non regenerating health (sort of), killing Nazis, and semi-open ended gameplay all make this one of my favorite shooters in a genre I'm growing tired of.

9. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter; A cool little walking simulator murder mystery. Some of the systems in the game were a little obtuse, but the world itself was super interesting (a necessity for walking simulators).

10. Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor ; Despite all the praise, I thought this was a good, not great game. The combat is worse than Batman, the traversal was not as fun as other open world games, and I really don't have one bit of interest in the LOTR mythos. It's a well made game, but I'm over the same open world garbage every game uses these days.

X. Broforce ; Loved it for the first few hours, but after that it began to feel a little samey. Hopefully after it actually comes out, I will rediscover that fondness of the first few hours.

1. Super Smash Brothers for Wii U ; No explanation needed, the sequel that Melee deserved. Only thing wrong is that so many amazing trophies are stuck on the inferior 3DS version and as a trophy-staring professional this is a travesty!

2. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze ; Finally a DKC game as good as DKC 2, this game is probably the best sibling bonding time I've had since.... DKCR.

3. Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok ; As I mourn the loss of Quest for Glory, that special unique Point&Click/RPG hybrid with a weird sense of humor and compelling plots and characters (most of the time) this suddenly came into my life. THIS has officially replaced the travesty which was Quest for Glory V in my mind.

4. Broken Age Act I ; DAT TWIST... also that spoon is the best
5. Shovel Knight ; This, oh man, this is how you do a retro game. Instead simply reminding us about the classics, this game decided to be one. Also there was a pickelhaube, which are cool.

6. Europa Universalis IV Art of War ; This expansion pretty much made the historian and map-staring heart inside of me die of happiness.

7. Crusader Kings II Rajas of India ; Added the entire continent of India and got rid of that ugly straight eastern border of the map, great addition

8. Crusader Kings II Charlemagne ; Another great addition that has the game now start with Karl the Great himself which I feel is a lot better feeling "start" than the Old Gods, although a few weird decisions such as Frisians ruling Frisians in de jure Frisia triggers Frisians all turning into Dutch... why?

9. Detective Grimoire ; A very charming detective game with a great art style. I had a lot of fun figuring out the mystery, the only problem is that most of these types of games have is that you get to the end and you are pretty much forced to be correct and there is no alternate theory you can give. My sister played this, didn't figure out anything, got to the end, and that was that. Don't cheat and actually figure it out and you'll enjoy it, but I wish you didn't get hand-holded into the answer at the end.

10. A Dark Room ; First and only "idle" game I "played" and it surprised me. Set up a trap and killed a creature and then got meat and scraps of cloth? Don't think anything of it because it's just a dumb game... but then it hits you. This game hits you a lot. Only problem is there isn't really any story and the ending isn't much of anything, the joy only comes from figuring out what the situation you are in and what's going on which is disguised under a basic/boring text adventure. My moments of revelation were fun though.

My top 5 GOTY:

1. Bayonetta 2 (Wii U) ; Definitely an unexpected surprise. I originally bought my Wii U for Smash, but this turned out to be the best game that I purchased on a whim all year. Really appreciate Nintendo and Sega including the first game as I missed out on it on the PS3.
2. Danganronpa (Vita) ; Although I'd like to count both games as one, since they're two parts of one story, for the sake of I'll choose number one for the sake of the thread.Great characters and storylines make this one of my more memorable games of the year.
3. Super Smash Bros. (Wii U) ; A lot of fun to play multiplayer, even if single player is lacking. I'll be playing this for years on end with my friends. Also, it introduced me to my new crack addiction known as amiibo hunting. It's given me a legit excuse to visit Toys'R'Us regularly for the first time in years.
4. Steins;Gate (PC) ; I originally stopped watching the anime in the hopes that the visual novel would be released one day. Thanks to JAST, and now PQUBE, tons of fans are being exposed to the great world of the visual novel storytelling medium. One of my top three visual novels.
5. South Park: TSOT (PS3) ; It has Cartman blowing fire out of his ass. Enough said. (Well that and the interconnection between the game and the TV series was superb.)

To round out my top ten:

6. Persona Q (3DS) ; It's everything that I could want in a Persona crossover title. It's a fanfic come to life.
7. Mario Kart 8 (Wii U) ; Another game that I'll be playing with my friends for years on end.
8. Ar nosurge (PS3) ; Memorable characters and a very interesting use of the 4th wall. This rating spike comes largely from the fact that I read the entire online novelization of Ciel Nosurge and spent over three months getting engrossed into the game's EXA_PICO Universe.
9. Walking Dead season 2 (Vita) ; Telltale's continuation of the Walking Dead series. Not as shocking as the first season, but still had plenty of moments to carry it into my top ten.
10. Final Fantasy XIV (PS4) ; While I stopped playing the game, there's still something that needs to be said about taking down hard mode and extreme mode bosses after your 751st time with your friends.

Honorable mention:
Planetarian (PC) ; I first played this visual novel back when getting any official localization would have been a pipe dream. Although I purchased it, I haven't had a chance to go through the newest script by Sekai Project. That being said, it's still one of my favorite Key visual novels with its harrowing tale about a junker living in a post-war dystopia trying to carry on in life and the female android that he meets.

Megatron

Two things

you didn't format your list correctly. Your vote isn't going to count unless you put semi colons after the name of the game.

you might want to take a quick look at what you wrote as your game of the year. For someone who's game of the year is Transistor, you sure wrote a lot about Bayonetta.

Two things

1) you didn't format your list correctly. Your vote isn't going to count unless you put semi colons after the name of the game.

2) you might want to take a quick look at what you wrote as your game of the year. For someone who's game of the year is Transistor, you sure wrote a lot about Bayonetta.

I think he just copy/pasted ViewtifulJC's post and changed the names because of probably some dumb inside joke.

I
Bayonetta_2_1.jpg

Bayonetta 2
Platinum Games, Nintendo

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.
bhuvAOu.gif

kadotsu

Banned
1. Bayonetta 2 ; Amazing from second one until the last beat of the end credits. Bayonetta 2 is the smoothest playing game of 2014 both technically and design wise. The difficulty is better balanced, allows more people to enjoy it without compromising its core for fans of the series.
Furthermore it succeeds as a sequel, the story makes the first game better. It also gives closure, a rarity in the current industry. It is not Platinum's best. I wanted it to be surpassed this year. Nothing even came close.

2. Shovel Knight ; I don't know what the difference between Yacht Club and every other retro indie dev is but Shovel Knight proves them to be a singular entity in the current industry, that shames all other devs. For them retro isn't a shortcut, it is a mission statement. Shovel Knight has a current gen user interface on Nintendo platforms, doesn't hide bad design behind the mascore label and balances difficulty like a Nintendo game. Excellent spritework and OST, too. Plains of Passage is easily on the same level as Wily 2 for me. YCG products are now a sight unseen instabuy for me.

3. 80 Days ; The first narrative focused game I liked without any caveats. Every player action enhances story, expands story, opens more branches to experience story. A writing achievement and as far as I'm concerned the first true video game adaption of classic fiction.

4. Mario Golf: World Tour
5. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call
6. Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
7. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
8. Fantasy Life: Origin Island
9. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
10. Kirby: Triple Deluxe

hohoXD123

1. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair ; A sequel to the runner up. Usually I put a game down if a) I need a break from it or b) I have other commitments. With DR2 it was never the former reason, the story and characters draw you in and it's honestly very difficult to stop playing. The story is paced very well, there are a good number of twists spread throughout and the investigation sequences are pretty fun. The only downside is the few annoying class trial minigames but it is dwarfed by what the game does right.

2. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc ; Pretty much the same reason as above. Although the writing was excellent here too, and it was also very difficult to put down, I felt the story and characters in the sequel were much more memorable.

3. Far Cry 4 ; Visually it is one of the best on the PS4. Foliage is great, and the wind animations makes the world feel alive. There is a lot of freedom given to you most of the time in how you tackle missions, including stealth. The main antagonist is great, although would have been nicer to see more of him, and the protagonist was not particularly memorable.

4. Infamous: Second Son ; Gameplay-wise it's probably the strongest on the list. The combination of different powers can be very fun to use once you've fully upgraded and gotten the hang of it. Visually it is also stunning, absurdly so for an early-gen open world game.

5. Valkyria Chronicles ; A great port of a PS3 game. Very charming with a great cast, side-missions and stories which you will actually enjoy experiencing, as well as great writing. The missions can be fun to play, but they tend to last for quite a long time each, partly due to at times slow animations which you cannot skip, although this is helped by the fact that you can save during a mission and come back to it.

6. Transistor ; Fantastic art style complemented by a great soundtrack as well as a combat system with a lot of depth which can be fun to master.

7. The Wolf Among Us ; Another great game from Telltale. The writing is as you would expect from the developer, characters are interesting and the art-style is perfect for the setting. The mystery presented from the first episode leaves you genuinely curious for answers.

You still have a few days left in 2014 to play Shovel Knight... it'll make your Top 10, guaranteed. It's about a 7 hour game on your first playthrough.

Unless I'm misreading it, I think the quote you're responding to suggests that the person already played Shovel Knight (listed as being included for an honourable mention). But in the spirit of your comment, it can totally be applied to The Banner Saga! :p

Yeah, I was a backer and played it earlier in the year. I was slightly disappointed honestly, but definitely enjoyed it for what it was and not what it wasn't. I guess I could make it #6. Maybe I overcommitted to a Top 5 after all. I liked all my Honorable Mentions though.

Great stuff again this year, sir.

You know, it's funny, I actively avoided outright saying how much Bayo 2 felt like an evolved Dreamcast game because I say that about so many of the games I seem to enjoy the most. Maybe that's not something I should be avoiding to admit to all the time.

Stat!

1. Assassin's Creed Unity ; One of and if not the best open worlds ever. Paris is beautifully recreated and the world feels alive. With thousands of people on the street, singing, fighting, dancing, protesting, and rioting, the world is full of people and you feel like you are just one citizen in the world around you. The architecture both inside and outside of buildings is top notch. It's incredible how dense the world feels when there are literally thousands of people on screen in which you can run and push. The open-ended missions are a great touch as well. You can now choose how you infiltrate a castle. Your choices are made easier by a much better free-run system and huge changes to the stealth. Co-op is a ton of fun as well. While this game has its mis-steps such as the cliche story and the amount of pointless side-missions and collectibles, the game's open world sets a new bar for future games.
2. Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS ; A near-perfect handheld game of a console franchise. It feels full-featured and not just a lazy port to a handheld. With a full on roster, this game is perfect for playing a quick 2 minute match or multiple 5 minute matches at once. The detail put into this game is fantastic as are the controls.
3. The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth; One of the best examples of a remaster and a port. Completely updates the art, adds plenty of new items and abilities, and adds new secrets all while maintaining the same great gameplay of the original. With the amount of items and synergies, this game is a must-play. It still suffers from a few glitches and some major issues regarding the unlocking of items might be impossible except solely on luck but this game is one of the most fun experiences out there.
4. The Last of Us: Remastered ; Incredible story-telling and solid gameplay. This is my first Naughty Dog game but it won't be my last.

I played other games but the more I thought about those games, the more I didn't want to put them up there. Nidhogg was a mess online, NHL 15 while I play it nearly everyday is just a mess from a feature perspective. Watchdogs was totally not fun. I played a lot of old games when I built my new PC but nothing new or that I have picked up yet. I know a lot of people don't feel this way (and a lot do) but I just didn't find many titles worth a vote.

1. Dark Souls II ; I had a blast playing through this game. Not as memorable as the first one, but probably more "fun".
2. Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII ; Shit story, awesome gameplay.
3. South Park: The Stick of Truth ; They finally made a good South Park game, and they knocked it out of the park.
4. Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition ; Maybe better than Diablo 2 ?.
5. Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster ; Two classics remastered.
6. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes ; It may be just a demo, but goddamn is it great. I spent hours playing it.
7. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze ; Awesome platformer with the best soundtrack of 2014.
8. Shovel Knight ; A love-letter to classic games done well.
9. Wolfenstein: The New Order ; Old-school shooter with a kick-ass story and human characters. I would have never expected this out of a Wolfenstein game.
10. Far Cry 4 ; Very fun game, but they will need to change the recipe for the next title.

Puaru1

1.) Bayonetta 2 ; This is just simply best game I've played in recent memory. It's improves on the best character action game in every way. I loved the music (Moon River and Tomorrow is Mine? Sooo good!), the more colorful style, and the craziness of the entire universe. Fantastic.

2. Kirby Triple Deluxe ; I love the way the system uses the 3D effects to enhance the game without feeling gimicky. The game is easy, if you just rush through, but the fun is in finding all the keychains.

3. Super Smash Brothers for Wii U ; This is just jam packed with content and will be fun for years to come.

I have yet to play many games from 2014, but I can rank the ones I have played at least.

1. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
2. Shovel Knight
3. Mario Kart 8
4. Transistor
5. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
6. Threes!
7. Desert Golfing
8. Hearthstone
9. Battleblock Theater
10. South Park: The Stick of Truth*

*this is based off of 30 minutes, it will probably move up

1. Grand Theft Auto 5 ; I didn't play it on last gen so I'm justifying calling this my GOTY. The current gen port is the best open world game ever made. The visuals are incredible, the location is way better than yet another NYC clone and the characters , story and music are best in class. It is bigger, more beautiful, more polished and better than anything I've ever played.
2. Wolfenstien The New Order ; Easily the best FPS I've played since 2009. The wolrdbuilding and story were surprising standouts and the game played really well with some satisfying gunplay and fresh mechanics. In an age of samey modern mil shooters, this stood out as pretty much the first FPS I've played through completely multiple times in a ages. Slightly held back by iffy visuals.
3. The Last Of Us Remastered ; I did play it on the PS3 otherwise it would be my GOTY. I can't justify voting for the same game two years running. It looks gorgeous on the PS4 and its still #2/#3 on my GOAT list.
4. Infamous Second Son ; I loved the setting, story, music and incredible visuals. The powers and the gameplay they afforded were so much fun that this is still the only Platinum trophy I've ever won. Unlike most other open world games, this wasn't packed with pointless filler and didn't overstay its welcome. A slight lack in enemy variety held this back from being even higher on here.
5. Shadow Of Mordor ; I dislike fantasy in general and Tolkien in particular. With this none of that mattered. The nemesis system was the standout and elevated what would have been a slightly above average open world brawler into one of the best games of the year. The lack of enemy and environmental variety and a rushed, poorly polished ending are things that need to be addressed in the inevitable sequel.
6. Shadow Warrior ; I don't game on a PC so the PS4 port was the first time I'd played it. This is a fantastic old school shooter/ninja sim with an excellent, funny story and some great dialogue. The art and lighting is amazing and there's a surprising amount of content to the game. Best value all year.
7. Metro Redux ; I hadn't played this because I don't game on PC but its a great 2 pack of FPSs. Incredible setting, atmosphere and graphics.
8. Assassins Creed Unity ; The graphics are incredible, the story is smaller and more personal (but better), the setting is finally back in a big city and the stupid modern day sections are all but gone. Yes there are glitches and problems but behind the rough edges, what's left is incredibly promising for the franchise's future.
9. Valiant Hearts The Great War ; A beatiful, touching and extremely well made look back at a dark chapter in history that's all but forgotten.
10. Civilization Beyond Earth ; The only non console game series I still play (on a 3 year old Macbook Pro). I can understand all the complaints but a pretty well thought out sci fi port of Civ 5 is something I'm pretty happy with.

Cyrano

Didn't play a lot of games that would be in my top 10 for the year, but

1) Dark Souls II - It's Dark Souls and it's more of it.
2) Shovel Knight - It's a game about shovels. Shovels.

Working on rest... gonna be hard to find ten games this year.

Xenugears

Neo Member
While it was regrettably an underwhelming year for games (new consoles almost always need time to find their footing) it was a landmark year for games within the fantasy genre. My list is dominated by fantasy-based action and/or RPG titles which is almost unheard of. Add to that the fact that Peter Jackson’s Hobbit trilogy ended this year (with a whimper... but still), Game of Thrones enjoyed one of it’s best years with it’s 4th season (with Martin’s Winds of Winter novel on the way… uh, sometime in our lifetime) and Patrick Rothfuss finished his Kingkiller Trilogy and we have something of a fantasy golden age upon us. My top two games are, not surprisingly...

1. Dark Souls 2 ; (PS3) The most common criticism of DS2 is that it’s not as good as the first. Yeah, and A Link Between Worlds (my GOTY last year) is not as good as A Link to the Past. So what? By a wide margin it easily surpasses anything else released in 2014. Like the Persona games late in the life of the PS2, Dark Souls 2 will go down as the last masterpiece of it's generation.
2. Dragon Age Inquisition ; (PS4) Biggest surprise of the year. After playing DA2 and upon hearing that this game would no be open world I had no confidence in the series. I was wrong.
3. Danganronpa 2 ; (PS Vita) Getting to play through D1 and D2 this year was a high point. If I never get another Vita game it will still have been worth buying the moribund system for this series.
4. Bayonetta 2 ; (WiiU) How do you top killing god in Bayonetta? You kill more gods. I am overjoyed that this game got such a good reception. It's not on the same level of the first but it's a strong action title and I hope enough people bought it to justify a third chapter.
5. Alien Isolation ; (PS4) The best Alien game ever made, and there have been some good ones (Alien vs Predator, Aliens Infestation etc.). Isolation does for the Alien series what Arkham Asylum did for Batman games. The style and gameplay perfectly suits the Alien universe. I wish it sold better.
6. Strider (PS4) ; The most underrated game of 2014. It's on the same level of Shadow Complex.
7. Super Time Force ; (Xbox One) Just when I think I'm over the whole indie game scene a game like STF comes out. Like independent movies, indie games are necessary to the health of the industry because they offer fresh ways of approaching old ideas.
8. Divinity: Original Sin ; (Mac) While I admit I didn't come close to finishing this game I have to admire it's scope. This game's only glaring flaw is the lack of quest markers but even it's lack of hand-holding is admirable.
9. Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition ; (PS4)
10. Shadow of Mordor ; (PS4) A classic action game… for the first 5 hours. After that it became a tedious slog. And the ending… the less said the better. Still, I’m thrilled to see the Lord of the Rings franchise get its first great game and hope for many more Shadow of Arkham titles.
x. Smash Brothers ; (WiiU)
x. Destiny ; (PS4) Yes, it was disappointing but it's also full of promising ideas (and great gameplay) that I hope to see pay off in future installments. It should have been a game I kept coming back to but, still, it offered about 20 solid hours (before it became unbearable).
x. Wright vs. Layton ; (3DS)
x. Hyrule Warriors ; (WiiU)
x. Watchdogs ; (PS4) Like Destiny, I understand where the hate comes from but I'm starved for a true sci-fi open world 3rd person game and I guess Watch Dogs will have to do until I get the open-world/cyberpunk/Blade Runner-esq game I've always dreamed of but will probably never see.
x. Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes ; (PS4) Best demo of the year. A great extend glimpse to my most anticipated 2015 game.
x. Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate Deluxe Edition ; (PS3) There's no Batman I won't play. Even the "bad" ones, like Blackgate, are worth visiting. I home this game poor reception/sales does not close off any future Metroidvania-Batman games because it's a cool approach that could really work if done right.
x. Shadowrun Returns: Shadowfall ;
x. Civilization: Beyond Earth ; (Mac)
x. Binding of Isaac: Rebirth ; (PS4)
x. Wolfenstein ; (PS4)
x. Castlevania Lord of Shadows 2 ; (PS3) The first half of the game is quite good. Unlike the first LOS, however, it goes off the rails in a big way in it's last half and I was sad to see it falter. How can a developer screw up an open world game that lets you play as Dracula?

Top 5 Most Disappointing Games
1. Walking Dead Season 2
2. Titanfall
3. Ninja Gaiden Yaiba
4. Velocity
5. Amazing Spider Man 2

Amount of $ spent on video games in 2014: I'm afraid to count.

1. Valiant Hearts: The Great War ; This game has really stuck with me: great story; interesting game play (puzzles); and terrific haunting music. The ending did bring a tear to my eye.
2. Far Cry 4 ; This game grabbed me from the start (can't go wrong with a Rolling Stones song) and was one hell of a ride. Just fun to play. Silent and stealthy, or run in and shoot everything from the back of an elephant. Off road racer and some weird solo helicopter ( and shoot everything with a one handed grenade launcher). Beautiful fun game. Eagle!
3. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare ; I loved the campaign and the multiplayer is fun. Enough said.
4. Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor ; I enjoyed the Nemesis system and it set itself up nicely for a sequel.
5. Last of Us remastered Edition ; Great game by Naughty Dog
6. Diablo III Ultimate Evil edition ; (PS4) Spent way too many hours playing this game for it not to be nominated.
7. Hitman: Go ; still play this on my iOS devices. Simple puzzle game that becomes very challenging. Like how it keeps getting updates with additional large levels.
8. Bloons TD 5 ; a fun tower defense game I play on my iOS devices.

Done

Lingitiz

While it was regrettably an underwhelming year for games (new consoles almost always need time to find their footing) it was a landmark year for games within the fantasy genre. My list is dominated by fantasy-based action and/or RPG titles which is almost unheard of. Add to that the fact that Peter Jackson’s Hobbit trilogy ended this year (with a whimper... but still), Game of Thrones enjoyed one of it’s best years with it’s 4th season (with Martin’s Winds of Winter novel on the way… uh, sometime in our lifetime) and Patrick Rothfuss finished his Kingkiller Trilogy and we have something of a fantasy golden age upon us. My top two games are, not surprisingly...

1. Dark Souls 2 (PS3) --The most common criticism of DS2 is that it’s not as good as the first. Yeah, and A Link Between Worlds (my GOTY last year) is not as good as A Link to the Past. So what? By a wide margin it easily surpasses anything else released in 2014. Like the Persona games late in the life of the PS2, Dark Souls 2 will go down as the last masterpiece of it's generation.
2. Dragon Age Inquisition (PS4) -- Biggest surprise of the year. After playing DA2 and upon hearing that this game would no be open world I had no confidence in the series. I was wrong.
3. Danganronpa 2 (PS Vita) -- Getting to play through D1 and D2 this year was a high point. If I never get another Vita game it will still have been worth buying the moribund system for this series.
4. Bayonetta 2 (WiiU) -- How do you top killing god in Bayonetta? You kill more gods. I am overjoyed that this game got such a good reception. It's not on the same level of the first but it's a strong action title and I hope enough people bought it to justify a third chapter.
5. Alien Isolation (PS4) -- The best Alien game ever made, and there have been some good ones (Alien vs Predator, Aliens Infestation etc.). Isolation does for the Alien series what Arkham Asylum did for Batman games. The style and gameplay perfectly suits the Alien universe. I wish it sold better.
6. Strider (PS4) -- The most underrated game of 2014. It's on the same level of Shadow Complex.
7. Super Time Force (Xbox One) -- Just when I think I'm over the whole indie game scene a game like STF comes out. Like independent movies, indie games are necessary to the health of the industry because they offer fresh ways of approaching old ideas.
8. Divinity: Original Sin (Mac) -- While I admit I didn't come close to finishing this game I have to admire it's scope. This game's only glaring flaw is the lack of quest markers but even it's lack of hand-holding is admirable.
9. Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition (PS4)
10. Shadow of Mordor (PS4) -- A classic action game… for the first 5 hours. After that it became a tedious slog. And the ending… the less said the better. Still, I’m thrilled to see the Lord of the Rings franchise get its first great game and hope for many more Shadow of Arkham titles.
11. Smash Brothers (WiiU)
12. Destiny (PS4) -- Yes, it was disappointing but it's also full of promising ideas (and great gameplay) that I hope to see pay off in future installments.
13. Wright vs. Layton (3DS)
14. Hyrule Warriors (WiiU)
15. Watchdogs (PS4) -- Like Destiny, I understand where the hate comes from but I'm starved for a true sci-fi open world 3rd person game and I guess Watch Dogs will have to do until I get the open-world/cyberpunk/Blade Runner-esq game I've always dreamed of but will probably never see.
16. Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate Deluxe Edition (PS3) -- I'm an unapologetic Batman fan. Even the "bad" ones, like Blackgate, are worth visiting.
17. Civilization: Beyond Earth (Mac)
18. Binding of Isaac: Rebirth (PS4)
19. Wolfenstein (PS4)
20. Castlevania Lord of Shadows 2 (PS3) -- The first half of the game is quite good. Unlike the first LOS, however, it goes off the rails in a big way in it's last half and I was sad to see it falter. How can a developer screw up an open world game that lets you play as Dracula?

Top 5 Most Disappointing Games
1. Walking Dead Season 2
2. Titanfall
3. Ninja Gaiden Yaiba
4. Velocity
5. Amazing Spider Man 2

Amount of $ spent on video games in 2014: I'm afraid to count.

1. Valiant Hearts: The Great War This game has really stuck with me: great story; interesting game play (puzzles); and terrific haunting music. The ending did bring a tear to my eye.
2. Far Cry 4 This game grabbed me from the start (can't go wrong with a Rolling Stones song) and was one hell of a ride. Just fun to play. Silent and stealthy, or run in and shoot everything from the back of an elephant. Off road racer and some weird solo helicopter ( and shoot everything with a one handed grenade launcher). Beautiful fun game. Eagle!
3. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare I loved the campaign and the multiplayer is fun. Enough said.
4. Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor I enjoyed the Nemesis system and it set itself up nicely for a sequel.
5. Last of Us remastered Edition Great game by Naughty Dog
6. Diablo III Ultimate Evil edition (PS4) Spent way too many hours playing this game for it not to be nominated.

Done

Might want to fix your posts to fit the format.

1. Divinity: Original Sin ; Out of all the wonderful RPGs released this year, Divinity is easily my favorite. Brilliant tactical combat with a heavy emphasis on player experimentation, and environments that feel handcrafted and rich with detail make DOS one of the most enjoyable CRPGs ever made.
2. Wolfenstein: The New Order ; Of all the shooters released in 2014, Wolfenstein felt like the most complete and well rounded experience. A memorable and stylishly told story, satisfying, over the top gun play, the very best (of any game ever made!) transitional flow between stealth and action, and a great soundtrack to boot. Bonus points for tastefully handling a sensitive subject without compromising the game's inherent goofiness.
3. Shovel Knight ; I've never been a huge fan of platformers and have largely avoided the revival over the past few years, but something about Shovel Knight absolutely charms me. Tight mechanics, an excellent approach to death cleverly borrowed from Dark Souls, fun music, and good storytelling that didn't feel at odds with the 8-bit premise. I can dig it. (Sorry.)
4. Nidhogg ; Nidhogg is the best tug of war game ever made. The push and pull when you're fighting and madly dashing over territory is unmatched for raw intensity this year. Remember: never chase!
5. Hitman GO ; Hitman Blood Money is one of my favorite games, so you can imagine my delight this mobile title managed to encapsulate the core gameplay so well into puzzles. The game's visual aesthetics also just bleeds classiness. Very well executed!
6. Jazzpunk ; Comedy is hard, doubly so in video games. Jazzpunk manages to do the impossible and stays consistently hilarious all while maintaining an appealing visual aesthetic.
7. Legend of Grimrock 2 ; I was a big fan of the original LoG and this feels like a natural evolution that refined the excellent gameplay.
8. Dark Souls 2 ; I had an enormously bad reaction to this game on my first playthrough, but I've come to appreciate it. While many of the brilliant design choices in the first game are gone, the gameplay and level design are both far better than the average game.
9. Titanfall ; Titanfall may have been a flash in the pan in the grand scheme of things, but it was hands down the most fun I had with a multiplayer shooter this year. I look forward to seeing what Respawn does next.
10. Hexcells Infinite ; An ingeniously well designed puzzle game that feels like Minesweeper with a PhD. I played both Hexcells Plus and Infinite, and, while both were excellent, Infinite has the edge because of the bonus random level generator.

Honorable Mentions:
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (PC)- I have never experienced a game so blissfully crazy in my life. The set pieces and bosses easily rival anything from any other games. I don't feel comfortable putting this on my list since Revengeance is a 2013 game and the port was released so close to 2013, but I felt it would be batshit insane not to give it a mention.
Five Nights at Freddy's- I played through the game only once before dying on the second night, but the jump scare nearly made me fall out of my seat so it's the best horror game of the year.
Tales from the Borderlands Episode One- Telltale largely let me down this year, but after the first episode of Borderlands I have high hopes for the series.
Far Cry 4- A little too Ubisoft-y to make the list, but it gets a mention just for the awesome destructive power of that sidearm grenade launcher. Fucking loved blowing up cargo trucks with it while hundreds of feet up in the air on a helicopter.
Luftrausers
Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall
Escape Goat 2
South Park: The Stick of Truth

Vire

I read through JC's writeup, but I think the most mind-blowing thing is that Bayonetta screenshot. I've ragged on this game for some of the questionable camera angles but jesus christ that looks amazing.

Surfing at light speed fighting a goddamn water dragon.

MisterNoisy

Grand Theft Auto V ; The game that consumed 2014 for me, both on last-gen and current-gen. The single-player story is a pure buddy-action movie with obscene production values beyond what anyone else in the industry is willing to commit to and GTAO keeps me coming back with regular updates. This rendition of Los Santos remains 'character of the year' for me.

Luftrausers ; Outstanding presentation, from sepia-toned 16-bit visuals to a shockingly complex soundtrack generator combined with pure score-attack action gameplay and nicely weighted progression - this is this year's Hotline Miami.

Forza Horizon 2 ; Still the only real 'current-gen' racer on consoles. Huge open world, outstanding driving/racing, great visuals and another kick-ass soundtrack - this game is another love letter to all things automotive from the gearheads at T10.

Nidhogg ; The purest fighting game released in a long time. DOS-era Prince of Persia meets Street Fighter with amazing moment to moment gameplay - this game delivers the purest competitive jolt on any platform.

Sunless Sea ; The closest to an Elite/Frontier experience you'll get from anything that isn't Elite: Dangerous, but with a Victorian/supernatural vibe. It's lo-fi, but it's worth a look.

Middle Earth - Shadow of Mordor ; This is a collection of really excellent systems and gameplay held back solely by the Middle Earth license.

Elite: Dangerous ; Bringing one of the finest and deepest series from the early days of PC gaming up to modern standards is a monumental challenge - fortunately Braben and company are clearly up to the task. This is ultimately going to be a game I play for years.

Threes ; You've already played it, hence you already know why it's on the list.

Goat Simulator ; It's super dumb and a complete joke, but they really lean into it, to the point of calling bugs 'features' in a much more honest way than SOE back in the EQ days.

Destiny ; I've since stopped playing this game because of its MMO trappings/failings, but this was still the best moment to moment shooter released this year.

Two things

1) you didn't format your list correctly. Your vote isn't going to count unless you put semi colons after the name of the game.

2) you might want to take a quick look at what you wrote as your game of the year. For someone who's game of the year is Transistor, you sure wrote a lot about Bayonetta.
It's a joke, I told him in another thread I was jacking his shot but changing the games

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
I'm going to talk about one game in particular, a game so well designed it made me remember why I love video games. Apologies if it's a bit disjointed.

Bayonetta-2.jpg

I was a bit surprised when Bayonetta 2 was announced, but I was also very excited because I loved the first Bayonetta. Granted the game had its faults but it was a really pleasant surprise. Now that I've beaten Bayonetta 2 I'm just amazed at how much quality was put into this. It fixes the problems of the first game and takes the combat which was the core of Bayonetta 1 and just builds upon it and expands it.

Bayonetta 2 is a game made by chararacter action fans, for character action fans. What's cool about this genre is that it's one of the purest forms of video games because it's entirely skill based. I think the most relatable genre that compares to Bayonetta and the like is the fighting game genre, where you have to analyze your opponent's abilities, predict what the next action will be, and react to the situation. Analysis, prediction, and reaction are what makes fighting games what they are. The same applies to character action games.

But what really suprised me was the amount of inventiveness in each chapter. It a common trait I see with action games and it was in the first Bayonetta as well. About halfway in, you've seen everything the game has to show you in terms of encounters and enemy types. After that point certain games have a hard time keeping the plaver motivated to finish it and try the post-game content. Here, with the Angel and Demon types I was amazed by every new enemy introduced. It made each encounter fun and refreshing. The controls are perfect, which should come as no surprise since the first game had excellent controls. The game looks good and runs at a mostly stable framerate. The weapons are more inventive than the first game, and are more fun to use as a result. The pacing has improved tremendously from the first game, which makes the moment-to-moment gameplay more exciting.

Bayonetta 2 is a prime example of what a sequel should be. It has set a high bar for the future of the genre. The next DMC, NG, MGR, what have you will have to step up their game because Bayonetta 2 is THE modern character action game.

It's fun, it's crazy, it's naughty, and it made me smile all the way.

Dresden

1. Divinity: Original Sin ; Mixing up different elemental spells and environmental hazards never got old, although the ubiquity of oil barrels got rather tiresome, even if they were self aware about it. Also fond of how I got to replicate my Arcanum rogue here - a bunch of its mechanics feel like fully realized versions of the jank we got in that game - and I was pretty damn engaged for most of a month. What happens within it is surprisingly dark, and I wish the game had chosen to focus on the horrors of the day-to-day events (villagers massacred, the elements enslaved, etc) rather than the schlocky reincarnation story they threw in about the world ending blah blah blah. Not that they should abandon the levity with which these events were handled - I quite liked the silliness surrounding what were otherwise tragedies, even if the writing wasn't all that strong otherwise.

2. Evil Within ; Impeccably paced and balanced. I think its aim to be a 'survival horror' title was its undoing, and would have preferred a bigger emphasis on combat, but what we got was still one of the best action titles of the last ten years. Looking back there's basically one set-piece I could do without in a game that lasted me a good 18 hours or so.

4+NoConsent

Neo Member
1. Shadow of Mordor ; Refines a few common mechanics while also introducing a ground breaking one with the Nemesis System. One hell of a new IP.
2. Wolfenstein: The New Order ; In a year filled with open world game here is a traditional FPS that hits all the right notes and revives a classic franchise.
3. OlliOlli ; Great game to enjoy on the go in short bursts or for hours trying to nail that perfect run.
4. Mario Kart 8 ; Long live the king!
5. Hotline Miami ; Infectious grooves and murderous mayhem.

I read through JC's writeup, but I think the most mind-blowing thing is that Bayonetta screenshot. I've ragged on this game for some of the questionable camera angles but jesus christ that looks amazing.

Surfing at light speed fighting a goddamn water dragon.

Say what you will about Bayonetta, but you can't take away from the variety of spectacle, scale, and sheer outlandishness of the whole thing. It's a barrage of over the top amazing nonsense.

sUrryH.jpg
ekShzb.jpg

l1vWXV.jpg
cLhe2I.jpg

9A4k41.jpg
3YHWVf.jpg

6BYgnu.jpg
zGY7qS.jpg

J2oihB.jpg
nCFVyz.jpg

jE7JIh.jpg
d619eM.jpg

Hatty

I'm really bad at describing why I like certain things, but I'll give it my best shot.

1. Bayonetta 2 ; The game that almost wasn't. To think this game would have never have seen the light of day without Nintendo's intervention seems insane to me. The idea that Sega saw the game in the middle of development and decided to can it is baffling considering the high quality of its action and fighting system. Definitely the best and funnest game I played all year.
2. The Evil Within ; Though reactions to this game are mixed, I found much to love in Shinji Mikami's latest work. Great creature and encounter design along with pretty good pacing allow me to forgive most of the misgivings like the strange or almost incoherent plot or the one shot boss kills.
3. Mario Kart 8 ; The best Mario Kart has been since the original DS. Great course design, excellent music, and surprisingly good online allow the is game to reach the heights of its series and genre.
4. Shovel Knight ; A retro game for a modern age. Finally someone has managed to make a retro game that truly feels retro and is actually a good game.
5. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U ; Greatly improved from Brawl. Though light on single player content the game has enough collectibles and good enough online to allow this to be among the top in the series
6. Persona Q ; Etrian Odyssey with a persona skin. Great dungeon design but some character are pretty flat compared to their actual games
7. Far Cry 4 ; Pretty much Far Cry 3 but with a better story and setting,, hopefully the next isn't as derivative
8. Dark Souls 2 ; The weakest Souls game but still some fun to be had, I have yet to play the DLC but the base game is pretty good
9. Wolfenstein: The New Order; Took me completely by surprise. At times smartly written and has some great stealth/action.
10. Bravely Default ; The best Final Fantasy in years. Though the story falls off a cliff near the end the battle system remains great and I always enjoy a good job system

Honorable Mentions
x. Binding Of Isaac: ReBirth ; Presentation seems weaker than the original release but it runs so much better that its almost worth it
x. Nidhogg ; Great local multiplayer fun, now if only there were more than one good map.

Being legit shook by JC's post, I've been putting a lot of thought into why Bayo 2 didn't hit quite as hard with me as with many others. Clearly, the problems must be completely divorced from the gameplay, which I greatly enjoy. Considering some of the games that make up my top 10 or top 15 or whatever, it's stuff like Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime, Super Metroid, the Souls series, DKC2, Tropical Freeze, God of War 2, Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, and some others. In trying to decipher what all of these games have in common that maybe Bayonetta 2 doesn't, the recurring element I'm seeing isn't that these games are comprised of varying ratios of peaks and valleys, but that the valleys are generally just as enjoyable as the peaks - exploring RE4's more vacant areas for items to scavenge and waiting for the next enemy to appear, solving a puzzle in God of War 2, performing some lighter platforming between DKC2/TF's more explosive moments, exploring a town in Earthbound, etc... I find all of these moments, while not as blood-pumping as as the peaks of those games, to be exceedingly enjoyable and meaningful to the games; they ground the peaks of those titles and help give a sense of weight to the overall experience.

That brings us to Bayonetta 2. Obviously, the game's peak/valley ratio is skewed in favor of the former, and there's nothing wrong with that. I believe the issue for me surfaces as a result of the valleys being throwaway in nearly all cases. Sure, I can muck around Noatun in Chapter 1, though there are few engaging activities to partake in that exclude combat, and I wouldn't be making progress anyway. Plenty of areas between fights are non-hostile, though there's generally no meaningful interaction to be had, minus the occasional chest to bust open. But with that in mind, it's still a bit difficult for me to pull together why it's an issue. I think it may have something to do with the greater experience feeling a bit hollow to me, as I'm just blazing through from fight to fight with no meaningful breathing room in between. As a result of 95%+ of my experience consisting of pure hype-as-fuck fighting, the game becomes concentrated intensity with no factors to ground and perhaps contextualize how insane the action really is. At some level, the game just becomes noise to me. The gameplay always holds up, sure, I mean I can dodge, activate witch time, and go to town on some guys with a chainsaw for hours, though the persistent level of adrenaline lessens the overall effect and impact I think. The game is a roller coaster with one giant drop and almost none of those hills that give sweet sweet airtime.

All that said, I don't have any objective issues with Bayonetta 2 as a game, nor am I suggesting that Platinum should have added in arbitrary bullshit or anything. It's still my number two game of the year and clearly an incredible achievement. But that post by JC is so good, and my lack of disagreement with anything he said really spurred me to take a closer look at this. Hopefully this post makes some semblance of sense.

1. The Last of Us: Left Behind ; As a wee lad the family had a playstation. From there, in order, I got a GBA, an Xbox, a DS, a Wii (at the 12 year-old mark here), a 3DS, a Wii U and this year a Playstation 4. Never had a gaming PC. And I never will have. Nah, I can't read the future. I will probably have one, some day. Anyway, before playing Left Behind I was largely feeling that the best way for videogames to tell stories was through choices and branching paths. I don't know if certain games from the places I didn't have would have made me think this earlier, but it turns out they can be exhibitions! And with some really interesting characters those exhibitions are fun as a player to explore. Hey, maybe a book could contain information about characters just doing what they do, but I like me some visuals. Also, it might not have great pacing or be as engaging as if the player is controlling the character. So yeah, player choices is still involved, but branching paths not so much.
I found Left Behind’s connection between gameplay and story better executed than the main game as well. Although a large chunk of it doesn’t directly involve storytelling, those sections still felt driven by the story, whereas in the main game there were times I thought ‘This is a boss fight’ or ‘Now I’m shooting some more guys cos this is a game.’
For now I feel Left Behind is the best gaming content I’ve played. But what I haven’t played could fill a library: a game library.
FULL DISCLOSURE: I played this in a remastered package.

2. Infamous: Second Son ; if you read the previous parts of this post, and you most likely haven’t, you’ll know I didn’t own a PS3! So if I’d played previous games in the series, maybe this one wouldn’t have been as impressive. But you know, these powers were cool to play with. The game is small enough that doing everything in it doesn’t feel like a chore. The story was fine – the good one at least. Evil made no sense. I expected more variation between them, but instead your police brother doesn’t seem to mind too much that you’re killing civilians. But still, #2.

3. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze ; the worlds are awesome. The music is great. I remember seeing some pre-release, or pre-re, footage of an Autumn Heights level, and along with the music thinking ‘Where else are you gonna experience something like this? Where else but on your dang Ninty console, with development by a western team?’
You know, this game has some FLAWS. 1. Collectibles Issues: some you get a single timing-based chance at and can be missed right before a checkpoint you can’t return from and also… That G in Panicky Paddles is mighty difficult, and yet the game is adamant in returning me to before the N. So I keep trying for that G. Then swim around and get the N. This happens numerous times. Then I replay the level with Dixie and am thankful I don’t lose her before after a checkpoint from which she cannot be obtained again. Not good enough, Retro. 2. Alternate exits that basically force you to just replay a level. 3. Too many bonus rooms. I just want to experience the looks and sounds of Grassland Groove without having to replay an area I’ve already beaten.
You often get chased by things in this game too. I don’t know if I’d call that a crutch, but I know for certain I wouldn’t call it a crotch. Amateur comedy hour at NeoGAF. Like this post.
I’m not sure if these issues were as prevalent in DKC:R (Donkey Kong Country: Returns), but at least knowing that there were no secret exits in that one has me confident in my assertion it was a better game, and even more confident in my assertion that I preferred it. Also it had beach world.
But Grassland Groove and the Juicy Jungle and the frosted DK island and many other places and levels are not gonna let this one fall very far. The gameplay is of course a major factor here too, as outside of some of the collectibles, I can’t think of a level that doesn’t play great. Maybe a water level, but who cares.
However, it will fall from second place. You did this to yourselves, Retro.

4. Mario Kart 8 ; Tracks are mostly great. I’m a nit-picker, and I’m not gonna change for you: could use some more races set at a time other than day. I’m not into straights. If you’re a fire hopper maybe that’s less noticeable, but Twisted Mansion is the worst.
Otherwise, the combination of cool tracks, anti-gravity, gliding, tricks, drifting, items, coins, underwater racing and – who could forget – racing, make for exciting, engaging and highly competitive races.

5. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor ; powers were fun.

6. Far Cry 4 ; I liked capturing outposts and making progress. It’s too bad the main story’s ending is disappointing, as I was pretty invested in it. The game tells you choices have consequences, and then most choices out of the few you make don’t show this; you only know that once the game’s ended of course. I think it had the potential to be a lot greater.

7. Nidhogg ; great design for competition and comebacks.

8. TowerFall Ascension ; I only played this 1v1, but still it was another competitive one.

9. Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire ; Pokemon’s systems are good and I like their worlds.

10. Hohokum ; great art, love the way it looks. A lot of the areas’ puzzles are good, but that of course means that some aren’t. The game also includes things you can interact with of no major importance without telling you that that’s the case; you might spend too long with something that is completely useless. Optionally finding the hidden eyes is pretty bad too, but, hey, I wanted to know what would happen. Not worth it.

I'd describe 10-9 as good and 8-2 as great.
There were other games I played this year for the first time that are eligible, but they've had their chances if not their time in the limelight other years. On this alternate list, Last of Us: Remastered would be 2, and Fez would be 3.

Frobary

1. Tales from the Borderlands: Episode 1: Zer0 Sum ;
2. Forza Horizon 2 ;
3. Sunset Overdrive ;
4. Far Cry 4 ;
5. Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor ;
6. The Walking Dead Season 2 ;
7. Transistor ;
8. This War of Mine ;
9. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare ;
10. Valiant Hearts ;

1. Dragon Age Inquisition - Fabolous world, characters, story.
2. Far Cry 4 - Great open world, good shooter mechanics, Himalayan culture is interesting
3. Southpark Stick of Truth - Great adaption from the series, loved it!
4. Diablo Reaper of Souls - Never got into Diablo 3 during PC time, this changed everything. Smooth controls + steady framerate and loot 2.0!
5. Hearthstone - Never though i'd be this hooked!
6. Wolf Among Us - After Walking Dead S01 their strongest game.
7. Infamous SS - looked impressive, tight gameplay, open world was kinda meh.
8. GTA 5 remastered - i double dipped and it was great (again haha)
9. Valiant Hearts - touching story of a subject often forgotten (WO I)
10. FF 14 realm reborn - impressive come back, loved the game, too bad not enough time for it

Worth mentioning:
- COD AW - after skipping the last 5 COD's, this was a fun change
- Wolfenstein - still have to play it
- Danganrompa 2 - haven't finished it yet
- Rayman legend - good platforming!

Lingitiz

Wish I played more games this year, but the top 4 on this list top a lot of my favorites of the last few years. Here's my top ten.

ctBPvKA.jpg

1. Bayonetta 2 ; In my opinion, the finest character action game ever. Bayonetta 2 succeeds its stellar predecessor by fixing what few issues – mainly, insta-death QTEs - the previous game suffered from, and ratchets everything up to the next level. It retains the combat system’s emphasis on dodging to activate the series’ signature “Witch Time” where everything except you slows to a crawl based on how late you dodged the attack. Now, with increased speed, a diverse range of creatively twisted enemies and bosses, varied weapon combinations, and the new Umbran Climax attacks, Bayonetta 2 has seemingly perfected the original’s design. So many scenarios in the game had me jaw-dropped from the amount of playable insanity happening on screen. And just when you think it can’t get any crazier, it continually outdoes itself with the greatest of ease. Very few games make me want to immediately jump into a new game right after completing them, but there I was, starting over from chapter 1 without any second thought. The combat system is so deep, fun, and exciting that I feel like I’ve only scratched the surface. I just want more. Like the aforementioned games, Bayonetta 2 isn’t focused on trying to find what’s going to be the big “next-gen” mechanic. Instead, Platinum has set out to build upon the success of the original; polishing and perfecting its design it almost every way. Crisp visuals, a host of unlockables, and painstaking attention to encounter design and pacing showcase the game’s unparalleled polish. You’ll be hard pressed to find a more seemingly flawless game this year. I’m glad to say that Platinum and Nintendo have produced one of the most superbly paced, brilliantly playing, and insanely chaotic games, standing high atop the summit of its genre. It’s hard to believe that this game almost didn’t get made, because it would have been a damn crime if we had to miss out on it.

Side-note: Great move by Nintendo to bundle in the original game as well. In an industry constantly trying to remove value from our day one purchases rather than increasing it, getting two of the best action games ever for $60 bucks is a steal.

2. Mario Kart 8 ; Like Smash, Mario Kart 8 doesn’t exactly bring and new revelations to the race track. Instead, it hones in on exactly what makes their formula so great and polishes it to the shiniest sheen possible. For Mario Kart 8, the focus turns to removing some of the random elements and prioritizing the player’s racing skills. It controls absolutely fantastic, with drifting, zero gravity boosts, and ramp tricks all allowing subtle ways to get the edge over others. The true star however is the tracks. There might only be one or two stinkers in this huge array of tracks, and for the most part, there are some all-time classics leading the pack. Toad Harbor and Cloudtop Cruise are just a few of these that offer branching paths, and risk vs. reward shortcuts that makes racing to the finish line always exciting. Again, I have to mention just how great the game looks and runs. Even with underpowered hardware, Nintendo has gotten so much out of their system, leading to a beautifully playing and looking racer. I can’t go without mentioning the DLC, which is not only brilliant in quality, but implemented so well into the game’s online rotation. These tracks –offered at a relatively great price—are all excellent and don’t feel like they’ve been excluded from the main game, or suffer from a drop in quality from being worked on by some outsourced team. If you have a Wii U, you absolutely can’t miss this game. It might be perhaps the best in the series, and maybe even in the kart racing genre itself.

3. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U ; As a love letter celebrating everything Nintendo, Smash 4 completely nails it. The way it represents each franchise, implements their abilities into the confines of the game, and treats each character with loving respect is something not to be taken for granted. Nintendo has done better with Pac-Man, Mega Man, and Sonic than their own creators have in years. It’s basically everything that Brawl should have been. It boasts a diverse character roster with many viable characters to main, a huge swath of new modes, adjusted player physics, and smart tweaks to certain mechanics. Perhaps most of all, we finally get an online that not only works, but is fantastic in execution. Being able to play Smash online, whether it’s competitive 1v1, 4 player chaotic mayhem, or 2v2 with a friend on the same couch has been everything I could have hoped for. And on the Wii U version there’s eight player smash, which can lead to some of the most ridiculous and chaotic fun I’ve had playing multiplayer on any platform. It all comes from with the classic polish and impossibly vast amount of content you’d expect from Sakurai and company, ensuring that Smash 4 will be in my rotation for a good many years to come. I admittedly had my doubts after Brawl, but finally after six years, Smash is back in top form.

4. Divinity Original Sin ; There was no better reminder to tell me how much I adored what Divinity: Original Sin accomplished than playing Dragon Age Inquisition. Don’t get me wrong, DA:I is a great game in its own right, but Divinity is all about faith in the player. It trusts us to explore and think for ourselves, and melds that in every aspect of its design. With brilliant tactical turn-based combat, and vibrant world filled with interesting things to do and threads to follow, Divinity is a refreshing throwback that we don’t get too often. Even in the first section alone there’s just so much to see and do, and none of it feels like pointless filler. The turn-based combat offers so much variety, too. How about laying down rain puddles to electrocute enemies? Or igniting gobs of poison with fireballs to incinerate your enemies? Divinity’s steep death penalty and challenging enemies require critical thinking in every encounter. The game’s quest design is also a great throwback. Most games now generally just have you mindlessly follow waypoints from one place to another. Divinity says “go figure it out for yourself,” and often that requires paying close attention to dialogue, reading your journal, and putting the facts together on your own. Divinity: Original Sin is a brilliant return to the type of RPG that often expects a lot of the player, but gives back so much more in return.

5. P.T. ; P.T. is the scariest horror media that I’ve ever had the displeasure of experiencing. I’m no horror enthusiast, but everything else just feels so dull in comparison after it. The first time playing it, I had goose bumps to the point where I just had to set the controller down and stop. This so called “playable teaser” for Silent Hills is simple in design and concept, but brilliant in execution. Kojima and team give the player a seemingly innocuous hallway to traverse, but each time you pass through, things start to change ever so slightly. One second a picture might show a smiling face, and the next time through it might have its eyes gouged out. How about the terrifying Lisa, sauntering through the halls at random, or subtly glaring at you from the second floor balcony? Just when you feel like you’re comfortable in the hallway, things start to shift again. It strikes a beautifully haunting balance between familiarity and the terror that occurs when things begin to shift, much like being scared of a dark hallway in your own house. It all builds to a palpable up and down tension that needs to be experienced to be believed. But what adds so much to the suspension of disbelief and true immersion is just how incredibly life-like it all looks. P.T. may be the most incredible looking game currently out there, making it feel so realistically terrifying. Add a mix of vague puzzles and random horror elements to the mix, and P.T. gave me the kind of scares that, for better or worse, I won’t soon forget. Hell, I’m getting chills just writing about it.

6. Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth ; Essentially Persona 4.5, Persona Q is no simple spinoff. It feels lovingly crafted, with the same production values and attention to detail that you'd expect out of Atlus and P Studio. Although I own a few EO games, I've never played them. PQ has been a great introduction to these types of games, and although I haven't quite made it to the end of this gargantuan game, I've been totally hooked from the moment I pressed start. It's great the see the casts from P3 and P4 interacting together, and i love both the combat system and traversing the labyrinths. The game's challenge is definitely no joke either. And how about that soundtrack from Shoji Meguro? Absolutely stellar stuff.

7. The Last of Us: Left Behind ; Exactly how story based DLC should be done. Left Behind provides more context to the character of Ellie and masterfully ties it into the main game without taking anything away. Learning about her desire to protect Joel through her backstory was an interesting way to handle additive storytelling.

8. Shovel Knight ; I don't really have too much nostalgia for the original Mega Man games, but Shovel Knight really grabbed me with it's awesome art style, amazing music, tight gameplay, and brilliant level design.

9. Hyrule Warriors ; Awesome fan service for Zelda fans. I thought I was done with Dynasty Warriors games, but this one provided just enough to keep the formula fun and fresh.

10. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance ; I'd put it up higher if it debuted this year. I loved the PC version, and the final boss fight is one of the most ridiculous and memorable things in any game. Crazy, stylish, and fun as hell.

More to come.

Neiteio

Being legit shook by JC's post, I've been putting a lot of thought into why Bayo 2 didn't hit quite as hard with me as with many others. Clearly, the problems must be completely divorced from the gameplay, which I greatly enjoy. Considering some of the games that make up my top 10 or top 15 or whatever, it's stuff like Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime, Super Metroid, the Souls series, DKC2, Tropical Freeze, God of War 2, Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, and some others. In trying to decipher what all of these games have in common that maybe Bayonetta 2 doesn't, the recurring element I'm seeing isn't that these games are comprised of varying ratios of peaks and valleys, but that the valleys are generally just as enjoyable as the peaks - exploring RE4's more vacant areas for items to scavenge and waiting for the next enemy to appear, solving a puzzle in God of War 2, performing some lighter platforming between DKC2/TF's more explosive moments, exploring a town in Earthbound, etc... I find all of these moments, while not as blood-pumping as as the peaks of those games, to be exceedingly enjoyable and meaningful to the games; they ground the peaks of those titles and help give a sense of weight to the overall experience.

That brings us to Bayonetta 2. Obviously, the game's peak/valley ratio is skewed in favor of the former, and there's nothing wrong with that. I believe the issue for me surfaces as a result of the valleys being throwaway in nearly all cases. Sure, I can muck around Noatun in Chapter 1, though there are few engaging activities to partake in that exclude combat, and I wouldn't be making progress anyway. Plenty of areas between fights are non-hostile, though there's generally no meaningful interaction to be had, minus the occasional chest to bust open. But with that in mind, it's still a bit difficult for me to pull together why it's an issue. I think it may have something to do with the greater experience feeling a bit hollow to me, as I'm just blazing through from fight to fight with no meaningful breathing room in between. As a result of 95%+ of my experience consisting of pure hype-as-fuck fighting, the game becomes concentrated intensity with no factors to ground and perhaps contextualize how insane the action really is. At some level, the game just becomes noise to me. The gameplay always holds up, sure, I mean I can dodge, activate witch time, and go to town on some guys with a chainsaw for hours, though the persistent level of adrenaline lessens the overall effect and impact I think. The game is a roller coaster with one giant drop and almost none of those hills that give sweet sweet airtime.

All that said, I don't have any objective issues with Bayonetta 2 as a game, nor am I suggesting that Platinum should have added in arbitrary bullshit or anything. It's still my number two game of the year and clearly an incredible achievement. But that post by JC is so good, and my lack of disagreement with anything he said really spurred me to take a closer look at this. Hopefully this post makes some semblance of sense.
You raise very interesting points. I'm a big fan of downtime in games. The last two titles I played were The Last of Us Remastered and The Evil Within, in that order. Both games have abundant downtime between set-pieces, I.E. Joel and Ellie picking their way past abandoned cars in downtown Pittsburgh, or Sebastian strolling through catacombs with his lantern held high. There's subtle but very real emotion-building going on during those moments where you clamber over environmental details, scrounge for items, or pan and scan the walls and marvel how your flashlight/lantern casts shadows. Those moments allow you to breathe and feel present in the game world. Bayonetta 2 had some beautiful settings, and the occasional goodies to find off the beaten path, but even those involved wanton destruction, I.E. busting open pots, destroying the scenery, etc. It all feeds into the "go go go" mentality that never lets up -- a tribute to how fun Bayo 2 is to play, but also perhaps the reason one can feel a bit detached from the overall experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom