• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2014 - Voting Thread [voting closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thraktor

1. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
2. Mario Kart 8
3. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
4. Valkyria Chronicles
5. Super Time Force Ultra
6. Transistor
7. South Park: The Stick of Truth
8. Assassin's Creed Unity
9. Shovel Knight
10. Broken Age: Act 1
x. Nidhogg
x. Nintendo Pocket Football Club
x. Banished
x. Desert Golfing

No_Style

1. FIFA 15
2. Mario Kart 8
3. Bayonetta 2
4. Hitman Go
5. Diablo III Reaper of Souls: Ultimate Evil Edition
6. Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies
7. Grand Theft Auto V
8. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
9. Transistor
10. Shadows of Mordor

1. Super Smash Bros for WiiU; The best Smash yet. Polished and packed with content and with an amazing soundtrack to boot.
2. Bayonetta 2; I never got to play the original since I refused to play the gimped PS3 version, but now I understand why GAF loved it so much. Bayonetta 2 is everything from the first, but better and prettier.
3. Far Cry 4
4. Mario Kart 8
5. Pokemon OR/AS
6. The Evil Within; Would be higher if not for the technical flaw. As a huge fan of horror games and specifically Mikami, I wasn't disappointed.
7. Destiny; Addicting despite it's lack of content and ridiculous random elements. I'd like it less if my best friend wasn't always playing.
8. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

1. Dragon Age: Inquisition ; best rpg in years
2. Gabriel Knight 20th anniversary edition ; beautiful remake of one of the best adventures ever
3. Mario Kart 8 ; best mk ever
4. Lords of the fallen ; unexpected gem
5. Wolfenstein new order ; fps done right

Eolz

1. Bayonetta 2 ; By far the best game of the year. Nobody expected it, Nintendo saved it, people cried about it, but more importantly, we've been able to play it. It being the sequel of one of the best games of last generation, arguably in the top 3 3D BTA. Great OST, awesome controls, fun costumes, better balanced than the first one. The game of this generation so far, and will be remembered for years to come.
2. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze ; It fixed the problems of DKCR, and added a lot more to make it the best 2D DK platformer. The music is superb, the level design is fantastic, and the graphics are full of little touches here and there. People shouldn't miss it by thinking it's just another platformer.
3. Shovel Knight ; Basically a retro game with modern sensibilities. The soundtrack is awesome, the controls are perfect, the game is challenging yet accessible, and it's full of personality. Glad more people will be able to play it in 2015.
4. Hyrule Warriors ; I didn't expect to place it that high in my list, but despite its problems, it's one of the games I've played the most this year, and had fun doing it. And that's really important. You could feel that the developers loved Zelda and what they did, with a lot of love and references everywhere. One of the best Dynasty Warriors and easier to get into.
5. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U ; It's really the best Smash in terms of gameplay and content, but what a disappointing roster. It lacks some soul as well. It's worth being here for its quality, but not higher due to those problems.
6. Love Live! School Idol Festival ; I really didn't want to place it in my top 10, but the waifus made me do it. Also, it's just a good mobile game, with great gameplay, frequent updates, a lot of content, and a business model respecting the players. Addicting.
7. Crimzon Clover WORLD IGNITION ; Great shooter, and it's awesome more gamers can play it. I can be rewarded for playing agressively, and I love it.
8. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes ; It's a glorified demo, but it made me want the real game even more. I love MGS controls for the first time, and the engine is great as well. Kojima and his teams can be proud.
9. TxK ; Always liked Llamasoft's games, and it's great to see this being a step back from more modern gameplay elements they used recently. Superb on the Vita screen, and there's already a version on Oculus as well. It's not made for everyone, but not everyone is ready for this kind of thing as well.
10. Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth ; It's not that surprising that Atlus decided to mix Persona and Etrian Odyssey tbh. Both mix well together, and it's really good for beginners. Experts will find it easy, but still like it for the story and atmosphere.

x. Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn ; Played the beta, but didn't play completely until I bought it on PS4 recently. Best gamepad controls I've seen for a MMO, and pretty good overall. Didn't like a themepark MMO in years. The art direction particularly stands out too.
x. Steel Diver: Sub Wars ; Surprise release from Nintendo, and it's been a fun little game, with a better support than I thought. Still come back to it from time to time.
x. Valkyria Chronicles ; Surprise port, good port, awesome game. Buy it.
x. Fibbage: The Hilarious Bluffing Party Game ; Discovered it a bit late, but had a lot of fun with friends online. Same for Drawful. Hilarious.

Those honorable mentions aren't put there in a way that "these are my numbers 11+", but I just thought that they deserved a mention for being remarkable in some way. In my personal list, they aren't necessarily #11-12-etc.
Also, disappointed to see DA:I and SoM being placed so high in some lists. Those are good games mind you, but not really GOTY tier due to some big flaws, and repeating an old formula with better graphics (before someone says the same for some games in my list: not the case due to different mechanics, misrepresented genres, tweaking, different features, evolution, etc. Didn't see the same in those 2, but could have put them in a top 10 a different year).

Didn't have enough time to really play Divinity and Wolfenstein, but really liked what I could taste. Sorry for not putting those in my list!

1. Grand Theft Auto V ; I originally skipped GTAV on Gen 7 consoles due to hearing about them not running it that well but mostly because GTAIV had really disillusioned me with modern GTA. I had grown up loving the PS2 era GTA's, Vice City being one of my favorite games of all time for instance. IV simply didn't interest me, I couldn't tell you why nor do I believe it to be a terrible game like many others seem to, it simply held little for me. I decided to get V for PS4 and have truly loved the game, the story, the characters [except for trevor oh god how I hate trevor], the interactions all play all like some grandiose tale of murder and mayhem. I could see arguments made for the gameplay not being the pinnacle of what is possible open-world wise, shooting could probably use work, driving could probably be improved etc. but the overall package the game delivered kept me entertained for a very long time. I am actually cautiously optimistic on VI even though deep down I know I shouldn't be. [Played on PS4]

2. Rogue Legacy ; Strongly thought about putting this over GTAV truth be told as number 1. Rogue Legacy is simply a fantastic little game. I actually bought Rogue Legacy on PC maybe summer 2013? But after 10 minutes of playing it on my laptop, gave up. Then when it came out for PS4/Vita cross-buy summer this year and I had a trip to California coming up I got it on a whim. Perhaps the single most worthwhile videogame purchase I've made. Couldn't put the thing down [playing on the vita] aside from when I let my older brother play it as he quickly became addicted as well. Rogue Legacy on the Vita is crack. As this picture should show well enough.Yep near 400 hours on the game in like 7 months? I mean I started to think maybe it's counting time when the vita is in rest mode? [which is fantastic for playing rogue legacy, drop in and out at anytime]. Rogue Legacy's random dungeons managed to keep me interested all that time. The boss fights while daunting at first become child's play later on but there's enough post-end content to keep ones interest if they choose. [Played on PSVita]

3. Wolfenstein: The New Order ; What can I say? Who doesn't like dual-wielding auto-shotguns? Fantastic story, atmosphere and characters. Far more depth than it had any right to have. Phenomenal gunplay, some fantastic level design although some poor level design too [Moon was great, opening was bad]. I've also come to appreciate the no Hitler thing as it makes for a new enemy who can be more interesting because of it. Best FPS SP Campaign I've played in a long time.

4. Child Of Light ; Great game. A bit simplistic though or maybe I should've played it on hard from the get go? I guess I'm a sucker for the art of the game and the style they presented it in. The combat kept me interested even if it was a fairly light RPG game. I also liked the half-action rpg half-not element of it.

5. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor ;

6. Infamous: Second Son ;

7. Far Cry 4 ;

bonesquad

No real standout, but a bunch of great games nevertheless.

1. Sunset Overdrive ; Because. Because despite it's flaws and lack of giraffes, no game was more fun end-to-end.
2. South Park: Stick of Truth ; I have a new found hate for Al Gore. Stop posting!!! How do I turn of these damn notifications???
3. Diablo III: Reaper of Souls ; Huge timesink. I even loaded RoS on my work laptop to play while on business trips. (Shh! That's our secret.)
4. Titanfall ; The most fun had with a competitive multiplayer FPS in years. The enjoyment I get from taking down huge Titans as a pilot knows no end.
5. Fantasia: Music Evolved ; Extremely polished, fun game mechanics. But Harmonix, it's 2014. Stop locking content!
6. 80 Days ; Mobile gaming had a great year, none better than this.
7. Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor ; Better on PS4. Not for graphical reasons so much as the great use of the controller's speaker.
8. Infamous: Second Son ; I love the Infamous series. Still do. Too bad this takes place in - shutter - Seattle. Go Packers!
9. Destiny ; Tons of flaws, but yet... I've had a lot of fun running around with friends shooting shit so who cares.
10. D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die ; My neighbors hate this game. I got caught up in a sequence and yelled quite loudly. At 2am.
x. P.T.: My neighbors hate this game. I got caught up in a sequence and yelled quite loudly. At 2am.
x. Valiant Hearts: The Great War ; My Dad's GotY. I need to play this.

SuperBonk

1. Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft ; Although it was a weak year for me, Hearthstone is hands down one of the best games I've played in a while. It's no surprise it takes my top spot after being an honorable mention while in beta last year, and my thoughts from then still stand.

2. Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls ; I very much enjoyed vanilla Diablo 3 despite it's flaws so it's no surprise RoS makes the list by virtually removing everything wrong with the original. It's hard to match the jolt of excitement you get from a legendary drop and with the new loot system it's a feeling you get to experience at just the right frequency.

3. Sunset Overdrive ; The humor is hit or miss but the traversal is fantastic. Seamlessly bouncing, grinding, and gliding all over a well designed sandbox is incredibly satisfying and it's great to see Insomniac provide fresh experiences again. After Crackdown, Saints Row IV, and Sunset Overdrive, it's getting hard to go back to driving in GTA.

4. Forza Horizon 2 ; Speaking of driving, I was a huge fan of the PGR series so it's great to see Horizon 2 scratch that itch again. Although I didn't get to play it as much as I wanted to (more on that later), I always had fun playing it whether it be off road racing or grinding out bucket lists. Hopefully will be spending more time with this in 2015.

(Dis)honorable mention: Halo MCC was my most anticipated game this year so it was very disappointing to find out it was plagued with all sorts of bugs. I still enjoyed it, but in a year where so many broken games were released, it doesn't deserve a spot on the list based on principle alone. However, the true dishonorable mention goes to...

Destiny ; Can a game that you played almost non-stop since it came out really not make a game of the year list? I guess it can since Destiny is one of the shallowest games I’ve ever played. The problem isn’t just the lack of content, but the way Bungie expects you to painfully grind out what little there is in the game. The end result is an addiction that’s very hard to get rid of, especially when all your friends are addicted as well. So Destiny does get credit for being my most played game of the year but nothing more. I’d like to see Bungie make good on their original promise but now I seriously have my doubts.

So overall a really weak year, but that’s only because I missed out on most of the best games by choosing to play Destiny instead. Never again.

Ratrat

1. Dark Souls 2; For me, it was a lengthy and meaty game with everything I like about the previous games and something I will replay with the new release.

Rctdaemon

Okay, let's do this.

1. Bayonetta 2 ; The queen B is back and she hasn't missed a step! Even more ridiculous than the first, but just as much fun to play, Bayonetta 2 is Platinum at their best.
2. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker ; If I had to sum up Captain Toad in one word, it would be adorable. The team put a lot of love into the game and it shows all the way down to the smallest details. It doesn't take much to beat, but getting everything will definitely take some doing. Captain Toad and Toadette's debut outing was a lot of fun and I hope Nintendo considers doing more spinoffs like it.
3. Wolfenstein: The New Order ; Surprisingly good, The New Order has one of the best easter eggs in an id game since Doom 2. Plus, it wasn't forced to have multiplayer, so the developers were able to focus on making the campaign better. It's great and definitely worth a playthrough.
4. Geometry Wars: Dimensions ; It has undergone a pretty big transformation, but this is still Geometry Wars and I still enjoyed it. My favorite addition besides the different shaped levels was definitely Titan, which turned the game into a manic version of Asteroids.
5. Valiant Hearts: The Great War ; UBIart is the sole reason why I have not completely written off Ubisoft. From the first trailer, I was intrigued about Valiant Hearts and was not left disappointed when I finally got to play it.
6. South Park: The Stick of Truth ; After THQ went under, I don't think anyone expected this to survive. It did, though, and it is amazing.

LurkerPrime's Games of the Year
1. Age of Wonders 3 ; It is not my most played game of 2014, nor was it my most wanted before I bought it, but Age of Wonders 3 has enraptured me like no other game. It is a game of boundless imagination, subtle humour, and utterly fantastic, turn-based gameplay. It is, without a doubt, a triumph. For these reasons, Age of Wonders 3 is my game of the year.

2. Divinity: Original Sin ; A revolution in turn-based combat and open-world game design, DOS will no doubt be one of the most influential (and best) games of 2014. In the end, only my personal preference could possibly land DOS at number 2.

3. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance ; This game put Platinum on my radar. Revengeance's intense combat, insane action, and inconceivable enemies made it my favourite action game of the year... Though it's the incredible Jetstream Sam mini-campaign that boosted it to third place.

4. One Way Heroics ; I had zero expectations for One Way Heroics, and it surpassed my wildest dreams. Cunning and clever, One Way Heroics proved yet again that even the simplest things can still be hours of fun. And then the hidden depth reveals itself and the real game begins!

5. Shadowrun: Dragonfall ; Few games show as much utter, loving regard for their setting, lore, and atmosphere as Dragonfall. It manages to couple solid mechanics with superb writing & worldbuilding to make an unforgettable journey. Most impressively, it's a categorical improvement over the dev's previous efforts. I only wish I found time to play the Director's Cut.

6. Valkyria Chronicles ; This is a rather old game, which makes how innovative and unique it is difficult to accept. VC literally wrote the book on how to set-up video game campaigns. The ingenius chapter select, thrilling gameplay, and intruiging storytelling proved that VC is bursting with untapped potential.

7. Blackwell Epiphany ; The fifth and final Blackwell game. It is a humble adventure game that manages to reinvent traditional adventure game rules through its use of two playable characters, all while telling a compelling, moving story. The only thing more impressive about Blackwell games are how downright charming they are.

8. This War of Mine ; A bold, personal journey into the life of civilian(s) entangled in a warzone. Utilising all of its mechanics, it naturally reinforces what we all know: war is hell. This War of Mine manages to tell an intensely moving story without actually telling much at all, all through the strength of its game design. Remarkable.

9. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U ; Smash has always been a series of care, effort, and detail for the myriad of properties it incorporates and Smash U is no different. It is a huge, carefully crafted project that's always a joy to play. I don't like fighting games... but I like Smash, and that makes it a special game, indeed.

10. Dark Souls 2 ; I died again... only this time I liked it all the way through. Superb level design and ruthless difficulty are rare combinations nowadays, so this game is a thankful breath of fresh air.

Honourable Mentions
x. The Walking Dead Season 2 ; Not as good as Season 1, but I enjoyed it a lot. As always, it leaves me hungering for moar.
x. Europa Universalis IV: Art of War ; This gamechanging expansion makes all the difference in how EU4 plays. It's really quite something.
x. Marvel Heroes 2015 ; It's not a good game, and worst of all it's free-to-play. But, dangnabbit, I enjoy playing it. Hulk SMASH! (Additionally, MH holds the honour of being my most-played game of 2014.)
x. Banished ; I bought this at release and played a couple hours of it a few months later. But still, a roguelike citybuilder - what a concept!
x. D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die ; I've never played it, perhaps never will, but I've seen it and I'm glad it exists. If nothing else, I want to acknowledge that something so beautiful can be created. (Thank you, SWERY's mind.)

Maybe next year I'll add purrdy pictures to my GotY list. Maybe.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Let me get my ballot in under the deadline.

1. Forza Horizon 2 ; I think the bar for open-world racers has been reset. I can't imagine having any more fun just dicking around in the open world map, listening to Horizon XS and Hospital Records Radio. Bravo Playground, can't wait to see how Horizon 3 comes out.
2. Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions ; I never realized how much I missed Geometry Wars until I played this. It didn't take long for the addiction to come back. If nothing else, the soundtrack is great, especially with headphones.
3. The Jackbox Party Pack ; Everyone needs more YDKJ in their lives.
4. The Binding of Issac Rebirth ; I may never get too far in this, but at least my PS Vita is getting time.
5. Pug Rapids ; I shit you not, this was my most played iPhone game last year, mainly due to how adorable it is. Gameplay..
6. Pac-Man Museum ; I'm a sucker for retro compilations.
7. Halo: Master Chief Collection ; Didn't touch multiplayer, just played single player to relive the moments.
I really didn't play too many video games last year, so I'm stuck at 7 for my final list here.

dkeane

1. Bayonetta 2 ; This game was just an insane blast from start to end. So much content.
2. Mario Kart 8 ; Beautiful game with some many great tracks.
3. Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze ; Amazing level design and a great soundtrack. Also gave me a good challenge.
4. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U ; Almost overwhelming with the amount of content in this game. Amazing cast of characters.
5. Shovel Knight ; Good old school fun.
6. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker ; Haven't 100% it yet but it has a great art style and is super fun.
7. P.T. ; Scared the shit out of me!

Think that's it. My PS4 was mostly a Battlefield 4 machine for the whole year.

The_Dude

1. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze ; Choosing between this and Bayonetta 2 for the top spot was just about impossible, so I decided to give it to this since Bayo will probably get more votes overall. All I need to say is it's almost definitely my favourite platformer ever.
2. Bayonetta 2 ; Not really number 2 but my second number 1! Everything I wanted from a sequel to my favourite game of the last generation.
3. Forza Horizon 2 ; Didn't quite grab me the way the first one did, but still an absolutely fantastic racer.
4. Trials Fusion ; I got nothing out of the trick system and the difficulty took to long to ramp up, but the core Trials gameplay is as addictive as ever.
5. The Evil Within ; I'm one of those freaks who think RE4 is just a really good game, not the OMGGOAT, so I was a bit surprised how much I enjoyed this. A great time all around.
6. Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris ; Didn't do much with the formula from the last one, but it's just so much fun!
7. South Park: The Stick of Truth ; Hilarious and a great RPG to boot.
8. Infamous: Second Son ; More of the same, really, but just as enjoyable as Infamous has always been.
9. Kirby: Triple Deluxe ; The second Kirby game I have truly enjoyed besides Epic Yarn.
10. Far Cry 4 ; Basically Far Cry 3 2 - hardly a bad thing, but having just played 3 late in 2013 made it feel a bit less exciting. Also didn't like some of the new sidequests.

1. Bayonetta 2 ; I firmly believe that Platinum is one of the finest video game developers in the world, and Bayonetta 2 did nothing to dissuade me from that notion. Bayonetta 2 features the sharpest action and most precise gameplay of any game released this year, so it must be my game of the year.

2. The Fall ; The Fall is an adventure game about an advanced robot suit AI grappling with the literal constraints of its programing as it continually thwarts her from achieving her prime directive: ensuring the survival of the unconscious, injured human inside her. The Fall plays off this tension to create its puzzles, which often involve intentionally placing the human pilot in danger. This allows the AI to access more of its restricted subroutines in order to protect the human from the danger the AI itself created. Other AI in the game question this approach, leading to fascinating discussions about the nature of AI. Well, in the pop-culture sense. Still, as a robot/AI nerd, I greatly appreciated a more nuanced look at AI than the typical video game thing of having a computer go crazy and kill everyone.

3. Transistor ; Transistor has a combat system that allows for hundreds of attack combinations, and actually encourages experimentation by locking backstory behind the player trying out different combinations. And you'll want to see that hidden lore, as it adds context to the melancholic and sometimes maddeningly ambiguous story.

4. Shovel Knight ; Shovel Knight is the rare throwback game that doesn't feel like a terrible fan mod of an existing, better game.

5. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U ; Event mode is back in its full glory, there are tons of trophies to put in matching trophy box sets, and you can play as Duck Hunt. Yes, even the Zapper.

6. Mario Kart 8 ; Mario Kart 8 finally makes Mario Kart a game that is about racing well and not just getting lucky with your item spam. Yes, you'll still get hit by a blue shell, but you won't get hit by a blue shell, a mega mushroom, a lightning bolt, two red shells, and a bomb in the space of six seconds anymore because the AI's rubber-banding has been reduced significantly and characters can only carry one item. It's a true miracle.

7. Bravely Default ; 3/4 of this game is a superb exploration of classical RPG job systems that allows for endless experimentation. The other 1/4 still has the fun battle system, but, well, let's not talk about it.

8. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor ; The nemesis system in which your enemies recognize your character and grow more powerful as you encounter them elevates what is essentially just the Ubisoft-ur-game to spectacular heights. It saves the game from the dull repetition that plagues those other games by creating player investment in random orc characters. Orcs like Tuka the Scholar, who I had betrayed three times by his underlings, all of whom failed. When I finally succeeded in toppling his regime, he said, and I quote, "Just kill me, I'm so tired of this." Life must be hard for an orc intellectual, don't you think?

9. Shantae and the Pirate's Curse ; A breezy, Metroid-style game. In this game, it finally feels like Wayforward, the developer, completely realized the Shantae concept in a satisfying way.

10. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call 200+ Final Fantasy songs in one Elite Beat Agents-esque package. Nothing could be better but a Nier version.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
1. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze ; Retro poured a ton of attention and detail into this game. It really is something special. The controls feel perfect on the pro controller. The graphics look gorgeous, the setpieces are a sight to behold. The new enemies have a lot of personality, the environments ooze atmosphere. David Wise returns to produce some of his finest tracks yet and each new stage offers a new masterpiece from David Wise. Retro even nailed the underwater levels (I usually dread those). The level design is packed with secrets, dripping with ambiance, and a speedrunner's dream. All these different components came together to produce what I believe is not only the best game of 2014 but the best 2D platformer I've played in my 20 years as a gamer. I'm gonna go eat a banana right now to celebrate.

2. Bayonetta 2 ; The queen returns with a revengeance to star in one of the finest character action games we will ever get. Everything Platinum has learned over the years is represented here and refined to be as satisfying to play as possible. New weapons to pull elaborate combos off with, a whole new breed of enemies to style on, new finishers, memorable bosses, an iconic rival, a boatload of unlockables, and so much more. By the way Nintendo thanks for improving the first game and then including it for free with every copy of Bayonetta 2 in North America!

3. Mario Kart 8 ; My most played game of 2014. Gorgeous visuals and addictive gameplay come together to produce the best Mario Kart yet. The online works like a charm and makes it very easy to fire it up every so often for a few matches. It even has killer DLC which is a shining example of how DLC should be done.

4. Binding of Isaac: Rebirth ; Shooting shit up has never been this much fun. I play this shit daily. When I heard Binding of Isaac was getting a remake I almost shit my pants. I can shoot the shit wherever I want on my Vita. My second most played game of last year, I shit you not.

5. Super Smash Bros U ; The ultimate local multiplayer game. Its easy to spend hour upon hour smashing away with friends. It feels good to play, there's a ton of content, I will be playing this game for a long time to come. Plus this kicked off the amiibo hype, love my Samus figure.

6. Wolfenstein: The New Order ; This game really resonated with me. The story is simple yet effective. Some of the cutscenes and dialogue hits right in the feels. A lot of grim and atmosphere It starts off as a linear action heavy shooter but soon transitions into a more methodical pace with plenty to explore and different ways to tackle each scenario. Dual wielding shotguns is fun and the gunplay in general is very satisfying. Bonus points for giving me advice which I follow in real life during stressful moments.

7. Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor ; I know very little about Lord of the Rings but I saw a preview of this game and it got me instantly hyped. The end game is a blend of the combat system from the Batman Arkham games and the platforming from Assassin's Creed with some improvements here and there. The Nemesis system was compelling enough to keep me coming back to see the different possibilities and how far I could really bend the game.

8. Kirby: Triple Deluxe ; I'm pretty LTTP on the series. Triple Deluxe is actually the first one finished in the series and it couldn't have been a finer entry point. The vast array of abilities available for Kirby to copy is impressive and these even get used in light puzzles where the right power was needed at the right time to access bonuses/unlockables. The game is on the easy side but I still really enjoyed my playthrough and definitely would like to spend more time with it in the future.

9. Transistor ; A strange voice accompanying you through a mysterious city. What happened here? Who am I? Who is this voice? The game will share its secrets as you play on and I found the lore to be quite alluring. The combat system definitely takes a while to understand but once you get the hang of it and start experimenting different combinations after unlocking more abilities is when the combat really shows its brilliance. A lot of what I loved about Bastion is present here and SuperGiant Games can consider me a fan for life.

10. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes ; It's a demo but ITS MGS ON PC AND IT LOOKS SO CRISP! Still, with the scope of The Phantom Pain, a bite sized teaser like this was necessary to get the player used the game mechanics and the ending got me really hyped for Phantom Pain. Mark my words people, Kojima is going to change video gaming as we know it in 2015.

Codeblue

1. Bayonetta 2 ; I'm not sure I can say anything that hasn't been said already. It's the action game. I've never seen a game define its genre so perfectly.
2. Super Smash Bros. For Wii U ; The appeal of this game is double for me. The gameplay is solid and incredibly fun on any setting with any of my friends no matter how much they play, but under that is the celebration of video games and fan service aspect of it that Sakurai nailed.
3. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze ; They fixed my biggest complaint with Returns and brought Dave Wise back. It also feels like Retro went a little harder with this one and made the levels much more fluid and fast paced.
4. Mario Kart 8 ; MKTV and super expressive characters are a stroke of pure genius. I really think that's the best thing they've done for Mario Kart in years.
5. Shovel Knight ; I probably could have done with a little more difficulty, but they really captured what I loved about NES platformers with some neat twists in there.
6. Dark Souls 2 ; I do think this game is sort of disappointing if you're comparing it to Dark Souls 1 at every turn, but that was the game of the generation. It may not have lived up to that unbelievably high bar, but it was still one of the best games this year.
7. Lethal League ; Stylish, fun, and exposed me to some super talented musicians.
8. The Evil Within ; Shinji Mikami can do no wrong.
9. Bravely Default ; The blend between appealing to my nostalgia for SNES era RPGs while also innovating in the genre must have been crazy difficult, but Bravely Default pulls it off so well.
10. Rusty's Real Deal Baseball ; This is the most bizarre game I've ever played. I know I'm being manipulated by a fictional sob story, and yet I can't help myself. Not that the games you buy aren't super fun, because they are.

Honorable Mentions

x. Kirby Triple Deluxe ; This was a good game to relax with. Colorful, fun, easy.
x. Nidhogg ; This is not a good game to relax with. When this first came out, things got super competitive among my friends.

Nerix

1. Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor ; loved the battle and Nemesis system - hopefully enhanced in the next title
2. Rayman Legends ; great for couch coop, long time motivation
3. The Golf Club ; perfect golf sim, loved it
4. GTA 5
5. Diablo 3: The Ultimate Evil Edition
6. FEZ
7. Infamous: Second Son
8. Driveclub
9. Lords of the Fallen
10. LBP3

No or just short comments as I am writing this on mobile.

Honourable mentions

x. Knytt Underground ; was it 2013? Loved it
x. Dead Nation ; great couch coop
x. Dragon Age: Inquisition ; just played it for 2 hours, great so far but too early to judge
x. Transistor
x. Child of Light
x. PES15

Punjicide

It's funny, I remember many months ago looking at the releases for 2014, after a great many games slipped into 2015, thinking that there were not many games I was looking forward to. I remember thinking that I would have a hard time even having 10 games for a list.

Yet here I am, looking at a list of around 20 games that came out in 2014 that I played (with a good many more that I have yet to play. Sorry to DKC: Tropical Freeze, The Banner Saga, The Wolf Among Us and Neverending Nightmare!), and having difficult over which games will make the cut.

My games of the year are:

1. Wolfenstein: The New Order ; Way back when I was a kid in 1992, I remember being floored by Wolfenstein 3D. It was easily among my favorite games to play around that time (to be fair, all I really had were some learning games, Joust, Dangerous Dave, and Commander Keen, the last three were also fantastic). The Wolfenstein games that would follow years later were okay, but they never quite grabbed me the same way that 3D did back then. Leading up to the release of The New Order, I wasn't really expecting much from it... until I started to hear quite a bit of praise from GAF and from the games press, which prompted me to pick it up. And boy, did it deliver. Wolfenstein: TNO has a wonderful balance between stealth and fast-paced action, and rewards you for using both approaches. The most surprising aspects were not only the great attention to detail and world building for the alternative timelines, but how well directed many of the games scenes were, and how interesting the character relationships were, especially for a shooter. As a whole, Wolfenstein: TNO is the most fun and engaged I've had with an FPS since Bulletstorm.

2. Bayonetta 2 ; So this year was my first real introduction to Platinum Games. Sure, I had heard of them and the amount of praise that they received over the the years, and I was familiar with some the key studio members' previous work at Capcom, but I never actually got around to playing their games. Between the Bayonetta games and Metal Gear Rising (more on MGR later), they left a strong impression and affirmed that they are the current top dogs of the character action genre. Bayonetta 2 takes everything great about the first game and turns them up full blast, while trimming out certain filler bits that slightly dampened my enjoyment of the first game. With great pacing, tight controls, and crazy over-the-top action, Bayonetta 2 had me grinning ear-to-ear from start to finish.

3. Dragon Age: Inquisition ; Sure, I have complaints about some of the PC controls, and I didn't think that the main story quite reached the heights that it could have, but I still loved the ~100 hours that I sunk into DA:I. Beautifully detailed environments, great characters (yes, I think Sera, Cole, and Blackwall are great characters too!), and enemy encounters that require the player to think tactically, I found it to be a return to form for the Dragon Age series.

4. South Park: The Stick of Truth ; Another terrific surprise, in that it actually came out after all the THQ woes and that there really hasn't been a good South Park game in, well, ever. The Stick of Truth feels like a love letter to fans of the show, and had me laughing much throughout the game.

5. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor ; As many have already said, the nemesis system really makes this game. Captains and war-chiefs get tougher as they beat you (or as you threaten them), fight among themselves, and roam around the map, making for much more dynamic encounters. Add to that the combat system from the Arkham series with some incredibly powerful abilities, and you get a pure, fun power fantasy where it's easy to spend hours just wandering around the map hunting Uruks.

6. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U ; An improvement on almost all counts from Brawl, Smash Bros. for Wii U is another great installment to one of my favorite local multiplayer games.

7. Mario Kart 8 ; I took a long absence from this series (the last one I played was Mario Kart DS), but it is good to be back. Great tracks and handling still remain hallmarks of the series. It's just a shame about battle mode...

8. Luftrausers ; The sound, the music, the visual design... just everything about Luftrausers is great. Sure, it doesn't take too long to unlock everything in the game, but it still is a blast.

9. Hitman Go ; I never imagined that Hitman would translate so well as a turn-based mobile game, not to mention that I would sink so much time into it.

10. Jazzpunk ; Such a bizarre and off-the-wall game that had me cracking up over the strange interactions, especially in that first level.

Honorable Mentions

x. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (PC) ; RULES OF NATURE! Like Bayonetta 2, this game kept a big stupid grin on my face all the way through. The boss battles and music in particular are the main reasons why this game has stuck with me for all this time, plus once you get the parrying system down, it becomes such a rewarding experience.

x. The Last of Us: Left Behind ; A terrific DLC chapter that focuses on my favorite aspect of the main game: the quite moments of character and environmental interactions.

x. Ultra Street Fighter IV ; Ultra gets a nod almost exclusively because Poison became my favorite character added to the roster.

x. The Walking Dead: Season Two ; While it doesn't hit quite as many high notes as the first season, and there were a few moments that I questioned the why the writers went in the direction they did with certain characters, season two still manages to have some really powerful moments. I'm curious to see where they go from here.

x. Bioshock Infinite: Burial at Sea: Episode 2 ; A love letter to fans of the first game, and a swan song for the studio itself. I loved the return of stealth elements in the DLC episode, and I felt like it was a fitting conclusion to the worlds that Irrational made.

x. Marvel Heroes 2015 ; I tried Marvel Heroes out when it came out of beta in June 2013, and maybe played for about 15 minutes before getting bored and quitting. When I decided to revisit it after almost a year's time, I found that they made a number of improvements to help scratch the ARPG itch. Over time, they added of new events and modes to make things little more varied in what is still a dungeon crawling click-a-thon, plus they added new heroes and improved existing heroes that were fun and true to the characters from the comics. Kudos to Gazillion, for listening to the criticisms from when the game launched, and as a fan of ARPGs and super hero comics, I'm happy with the game that Marvel Heroes has become, and cannot wait to see where it goes next.

x. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes ; I'll be honest, my only previous experience with the Metal Gear franchise was playing through Twin Snakes on the GameCube and playing Metal Gear Rising on PC (I bought the Metal Gear Solid collection, but I haven't gotten around to it). After playing Ground Zeroes and being impressed with how well it plays (not to mention runs and looks on my PC), I'm incredibly excited for The Phantom Pain.

1. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc ; It doesn't quite make up for the lack of Zero Escape 3 but Danganronpa is a pretty great mix of Zero Escape, Phoenix Wright and rhythm games. The story is engaging and suspenseful, the characters are interesting and well written and the trials are both fun and well designed. It's one of those games that I took far longer to finish than I should've, because I was savouring the experience and story so much. And then to top it off, the extra School Mode made for a bit of fun right before wrapping it up.

2. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair ; My second favourite game of 2014 for most of the same reasons I listed for Danganronpa. The reason why it's at number two and not number one though, is that I think that the game ultimately made the cast of the original look even better than they did in the original, to the detriment of the Danganronpa 2 cast. The story is still engaging, the characters are still really well written and the trials are still fun but it was just that top two centimetres that kept it from beating the original Danganronpa.

3. Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty! ; I was too young to ever really have the patience to get far in the original but I've always wanted to finish it and this gave me the perfect chance. Just Add Water did an incredible job remaking this game, with the art style completely held up with the transition to 2.5D and some additional effects that only add to the game. I can't wait for the Exoddus remake.

4. Dragon Age: Inquisition ; Cut out all the boring fetch quests and Dragon Age: Inquisition probably would've been my Game of the Year. The characters are interesting, the dialogue is engaging, the story is decent, the gameplay is decent and the multiple open world areas is a pretty cool idea. But when you're not doing story missions, you're either fighting or collecting shitty items from around the map. It quickly went from a game I was loving at the start to a game I was glad was over when I finished.

5. Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII ; I know this isn't a popular choice but I still had way too much fun to ignore it. Toriyama may not know the first thing about writing a good story but his games sure do have incredibly fun battle systems. If he could own up to his flaws and hire external writers, I think his games would actually be pretty fantastic.

6. The Wolf Among Us: Episodes 2-5 ; I'm a big Fables fan, so this game meant far more to me than any other Telltale game has and I loved it. Sure, there are plot holes and the final act was disappointing but the overall story, character moments, atmosphere, voice acting and soundtrack more than made up for them.

7. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes ; As someone that's a somewhat weird case of being a Metal Gear fan that doesn't have much interest in the story any more, I was amazed at how well Ground Zeroes drew me back in. Don't get me wrong, MGS4 ruined the wider story for me for good, but the smaller stories, like Chico and Paz? That stung like crazy. And on top of that, you've got by far the best gameplay in the series and an awesome open world base map? This may have been a paid demo but it was well worth my money both times I bought it. I can't wait for The Phantom Pain.

8. Hohokum ; I had no idea what to expect going into this game and had no clue what I was doing even 30 minutes into it but there was a point where everything just clicked. Suddenly, instead of flying around the screen and travelling to other levels aimlessly, I was going to each one and trying to figure out the puzzle of the level. Some were difficult and I needed a little help, others were so easy a baby could've done them, but they were all really cool and made me appreciate the game a whole lot.

9. inFamous: First Light ; The same excellent gameplay of Second Son, just with less tedious side missions and a shorter, more focused story. And then there's the combat arena to just screw around in. There'd be a big backlash if this happened but I really wish open world games would just embrace shorter stories and forgo all the repetitive collectable/side quest bullshit. Or at worst, adopt the GTAV model of having multiple characters that have relatively separate stories.

10. Transistor ; To be honest, I was completely lost on my first playthrough and died multiple times. I still enjoyed it, enough to start a second playthrough, but I really wasn't very good at it. It wasn't until I started doing the trials on that second playthrough that I started experimenting with different functions and things finally clicked. From that point, the game became a hell of a lot more fun, even with all limiters turned on. And as for the story, it was maybe a little too vague for my liking but what they did give me was intriguing enough to keep me going.

Honourable Mentions
x. inFamous: Second Son ; I always have a lot of fun with the gameplay in inFamous games and Second Son was a huge improvement over inFamous 2 in that regards. All the ridiculous button combinations were gotten rid of, in exchange for more streamlined controls and the four different powers were a great change, even if they were mostly pretty similar. The big downside of the game though, is the horrible sidequests that you do numerous times throughout the game. They really do drain the fun out of the game, which is a real pity because it does so much right in other areas.
x. Murdered: Soul Suspect ; If I could, my list actually would've been a top twelve. But it isn't and so Murdered got dropped off the list, sadly. I remember Shadow of Memories (Destiny for North Americans) on the PS2 with very fond memories and Murdered reminded me a lot of it. While I enjoy the type of adventure games that Telltale and Quantic Dream produce, I'd really love to see more adventure games like Shadow of Memories and Murdered being made. Sure, it's fun to act out dramatic scenes, but you can still tell an effective story while mixing in some puzzle solving as well.
x. South Park: The Stick of Truth ; I'm a big fan of Obsidian and a casual fan of South Park but while I enjoyed Stick of Truth, it just didn't hit the right notes to get into my top ten. Combat just seemed really bland to me, which is a similar complaint I have with a lot of other western JRPG style games, like Child of Light and Costume Quest.
x. Murasaki Baby ; I appreciate Murasaki Baby for being a really unique little experience but I found that I got tired of the gameplay halfway through the game. It also didn't help that it was fairly buggy too.

1. Bayonetta 2 ; I love you, Nintendo. I love you, Platinum. But I love you most of all...Bayonetta...
2. Bayonetta ; I actually slightly prefer Bayonetta to its sequel, but I can't put it at number 1 because of the less-than-stellar port. Screen-tearing is gone and the load times are improved, but the game otherwise looks and runs worse than the 360 version. They also axed the leaderboards and made Jeanne's breasts smaller. It's a testament to how great Bayonetta is that even with an inferior port, it's better than almost everything else released last year.
3. South Park: The Stick of Truth ; I hardly ever watch South Park and I figured this game was going to be another crappy cash-in, but a friend kinda forced me to borrow it because she really liked it and thought I would as well. She was right! It's like a really good, extended episode of the show. It's also one of the few games to get achievements right. I laughed when the Perverted achievement popped up because I'm a huge pervert and had been watching the main character's parents have sex for a minute.
4. Child of Light ; Great soundtrack, great battle system, very pretty, and has a charming fairy tale-like quirkiness. A lot of people give Ubisoft crap, and rightfully so, but as long as they keep funding games like CoL and Blood Dragon, they will be the least bad of the major western publishers as far as I'm concerned. I really hope they're working on a sequel that builds upon what they have here and make it a full-length RPG.
5. Earth Defense Force 2025 ; EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF!
6. Shovel Knight ; I liked the part where he used the shovel.
7. Into the Underdusk ; There aren't nearly enough Metroid-like games with simple graphics and solid black backgrounds. Bring back solid black backgrounds, devs.
8. Ace Attorney Investigations 2 ; This would likely be higher if not for my being only halfway through the game. Sure would be nice if the deadline were at the end of a three-day weekend instead of just before it. Oh well.
9. Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney ; "Hey boss, how we gonna handle all dese puzzles for people who are new to the Layton series?" "I dunno...make 'em piss easy, I guess?" "Good idea, boss! How 'bout them trials? What do we do about those for people who are new to Phoenix Wright?" "Good question, good question. What could we do...gotta think about this real long and real hard...........make them piss easy!" "Brilliant, boss!" And in trying to appeal to everyone, they appealed to no one. I'm a big fan of both series and felt like they just watered them both down way too much. Also, ugh, getting real tired of the ridiculous explanations in Layton games. You've messed up pretty badly when "magic did it" makes more sense than your "twist." But Maya was funny and Darklaw was hot, so it wasn't a total waste.
10. Towerfall: Ascension ; Played this a bit at a friend's place and it's pretty fun. I like making ghost noises when we turn on the ghost setting. Exploding corpses are bullshit, though.

Smash Bros. probably would've made the list but I only got it today and the adapters are still almost impossible to find. Great work, Nintendo!

delta25

Banned
I've only got one game to nominate.

header.jpg

For whatever the game lacks in gameplay it makes up with featuring arguably some of the best use of source material that I have ever seen in a game which ultimately helps deliver on what I feel to be a uniquely designed atmospheric ride. This is for all intents and purposes, the best Alien game ever made.

Looking through my Library and I really didn't play many games this year. I'll start with a game that really sucked me into its world and I hated that it ended. 100+ hours was too short.
1. Dragon Age:Inquisition - Not the best graphics but I think the most beautiful landscapes I've ever played on in my 40 years of gaming.
2. Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare PS4 - With all the issues this year with online gaming this game was flawless. Countless hours of lag less gameplay with full teams. What's so hard about that?
3. Trials Fusion - Welcome to the future!
4. The Last of Us Remastered - Wow
5. Infamous Second Son - It was decent enough.

vermadas

1. Dark Souls 2 ; (PC) B Team or not, this game was still a worthy successor, even if it wasn't put together with as much care.

2. Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare ; (PC) A class based team objective focused multiplayer shooter? Without all the typical military focused shooty stuff? This game hit all the right notes, and was incredibly fun to play.

3. Forza Horizon 2 ; (One) An excellent follow up. Open world racing at its finest.

4. Bayonetta 2 ; Almost too insane. Non-stop craziness but the combat feels as great as ever.

5. Shovel Knight ; (PC) It's rare to see a modern retro style platformer designed with such craftsmanship.

6. Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor ; (PC) The combat and nemesis system make up for a lot of this game's failings. Best to ignore much of the optional content, else you'll tire of Mordor quickly.

7. Sunset Overdrive : Once you get a hang of the traversal, it's just so thrilling to zoom around the colorful city and dole out your favorite flavors of chaos.

8. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze ; The music. The surprising variety of content. The challenge. It's a joy.

9. Mario Kart 8 ; It feels pretty fresh this time around.

10. Trials Fusion ; (PC) This entry feels disappointing, despite all that it offers.

Xx. South Park: The Stick of Truth ; (PC) The combat got kind of tiring, but I thought the game handled the source material extremely well.

Xx. Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions ; (PC) I appreciate the extra content and lengthy amount of levels. It's missing some of the oomph in the gameplay that its predecessor had.

Xx. Luftrausers ; (PC) Gets too hectic too quickly in my opinion, but it's hard to put down.

Xx. Dragon Age: Inquisition ; (PC) This may have charted, but I'm still in the middle of playing it. It's been a fun journey so far.

Backlog / future purchases stuff I am looking forward to putting time into:
- Dvinity: Original Sin
- Hyrule Warriors
- Hexcells
- Captain Toad
- The Talos Principle

Sendero

1. Dark Souls 2 ; Souls series's weakest link. Disappointment followed by great DLCs, and still better than most games.
2. Divinity: Original Sin ; single-handedly revitalized the way action RPGs should play. Even with abysmal writing/story, outstanding.
3. Alien: Isolation ; No other AAA game has risked so much, to try capturing the essence of a beloved movie franchise. Divisive, but worthy effort.
4. Wolfenstein: The New Order ; In a world full of FPS, it proves that games can be fun + "mature", and keep that old-school feel.
5. Dragon Age: Inquisition ; Bugs and cheesy all rounder, yet a worthy sequel with tons of content in different mediums. Bioware is leveling up.
6. Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall ; Memorable characters, improved writing. The cyberpunk game of the year. Still rough in places.
7. Wasteland 2 ; Expectations met. Tons of bugs, uneven locations, and pacing. But oh so good overall. Give inXile more resources!
8. South Park: The Stick of Truth ; A TV episode made game. Awesome content, but shallow gameplay, reduce any interest for a rerun.
9. The Evil Within ; Mediocre engine, poor/fake AI, and not scary at all. Still fun and has that unique element that Mikami can brings.
10. Watch_Dogs ; Abysmal characters/story, it feels like a passive aggressive attempt to change the formula, never fully embracing its unique elements. But its fun, and when it works, it works!

Have not tried Shadows of Mordor, Far Cry 4, Tales From The Borderlands, nor Ground Zeroes.
Barely starting Transistor.

1. Ultra Street Fighter 4 ; I cannot stop playing this game. It's crazy how the battle system has been tweaked rebalanced and still amazingly fun to the point where every match I'm still fighting different characters and having a blast while doing it over and over again.

2. Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII ; It's so amazing how much the battle system has changed to the point it feels like an entire new final fantasy, the best of the three IMO. This is a very good Lighting Only Final Fantasy.

1. Wasteland 2 ; Beautiful Oldschool SRPG. More now please, maybe with slightly less bugs.
2. The Fall ; Big surprise this, riveting point'n'click/twin stick/platformer with a great story and amazing twist. New avatar.
3. The Wolf Among Us ; Telltale games seem to get less interactive as they go on, but so much style.
4. Grand Theft Auto V ; More Heists, more heists and more heists!
5. One Finger Death Punch ; So much fun in only 2 buttons.
6. Hexcells+ ; I think I had a stroke.

Hardly played and finished any 2014 games in 2014

2014 was for me, a very busy year. I worked on three games in alternately Japanese or English which took up the majority of my time. Most of any that was left over I spent working on a plan to send a bunch of Japanese shooter players to France for a superplay event called Stunfest. Despite being more objectively busy than ever, I certainly made time to play games, however I can't pretend to be anywhere near an objective look at what were the "releases of the year". Especially given how many worthwhile platforms there are lately. I fully believe that there were awesome WiiU games this year, in fact some I would've loved to play. I know there were some strong PS4 releases as well, but I only bought a PS4 like a month ago and am quite LTTP. For me, the appeal of the GOTY ballots has always been the collective dredging up and conclusion-drawing on the obsessive pursuits of the year. I.e. the reflections of individuals running in their own directions (often quite different from mine). The game industry is like the wine industry nowadays, fractured across 7 viable platforms there are thousands and thousands of games and not much “order” to it all, and then you have the great disintegration of mobile directly over the bow. And yet much like wine, one can find incredible diamonds in the rough if you’re willing to do the research. For that reason, and for a change of pace, I’ll be comparing my GOTYs to bottles of wine this year.

Now I tend to be the only guy in GAF GOTY threads who votes for arcade games (literally last year my lone vote kept the Arcade platform category alive), and this year is no exception. I've been an arcade rat since my teens, and living in Japan affords me the luxury of an unbroken line to that aspect of my childhood. I play in the arcade every weekend for two reasons: 1. I think arcade games have the most compelling, frenetic gameplay around 2. the community and general high-level of people playing, and of course 3. I'm not sure how long arcades are going to be around. If it has to be that way, I’m ready to go down with the ship.

So, of my pitiful four entries to GOTY 2014, 3 of them are arcade games.
Without further adieu…

iF2bGfebcEtNO.jpg

1. Border Break Scramble; (SEGA AM2, Arcade)

Border Break is probably SEGA's best-kept secret, a game that no one in the west seems to know about because of its arcade exclusivity. 8 vs. 8 online mech third-person shooting. Two cooperative teams situated at either end of the map that need to make their way to and attack the other team's "core" by gaining ground and slowly occupying "power plants" around the map. Once you have a plant, your team members can spawn there. Once your team is with you, you can mount rush assaults on your opponent's core and chip away at their collective life bar.

4 classes: Assault, quick/light mechs designed for core assaults, Heavy, well-armored and powerful bruisers perfect for occupying power plants, Snipe, long-range firepower useful for dominating maps with long valleys, can also turn invisible to sneak into enemy lines and attack the core, and Support, weak in firepower but able to heal/repair downed allies, can also launch radar to detect infiltration by enemy mechs. The balance between the 4 classes, and the need to use them cooperatively to help your team edge out a win, is the core of the gameplay.
Developed by AM2, the game is constantly updated and precision balanced.

Maybe all that text didn't make sense, so here are two personal favorite vids of mine by superplayer Tommy:
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm18215372
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm19349848

"Scramble" is the latest revision to the game and it went into operation early this year. The main addition is the titular "Scramble Battle" mode, which foregoes the cooperative aspect of the main game for PvP. Your goal is to essentially jet around the map collecting crystals that can be blown off of the side of buildings, all the while engaging with other mechs who are trying to do the same thing. Downing an opposing player who has lots of crystals will earn you a big bonus, but on the flipside if you pull into the lead, you have to move like you're a target.

Scramble Battle is a solid addition to the game, and SEGA actually had a big official tournament for this year. For me though, the appeal of Border Break Scramble is still the core team-based gameplay and all the little additions and balance tweaks made in this version. The new maps in version 4.0 turned out to be dynamic and gorgeous, particularly Kinish Beach which you can see here:
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm24589426 . There were also some new mechs that I really liked like the hover build "Spectre", the new "Land Bulk" AT and the Chinese build "Jixien".

iWkZWsPAp8H6a.jpg
ivisv4GGoCTlY.jpg

I pretty much spent all year, and too much money, playing Border Break. I hit rank A1 a couple months ago (which is, if you know VF5 FS, basically a "Barbarian" rank) but I'm not sure if I can maintain it since the players around me are extremely skilled. Either way, Border Break Scramble is without a doubt my GOTY 2014 and given the regular major revisions to the game (version 4.5 is already on location test this weekend), it'll probably be my GOTY 2015 too.

Equivalent bottle of wine:
iZ6iYVdC0A6Sg.jpeg

A. Rafanelli Zinfandel 2006
A lush, velvety red with depth and artisanal balance. Invites you in with a powerful Zinfandel punch and never lets go. Aged in the barrel for an extra 6 months.

itTEBbz9ZGe9N.jpg

2. Crimzon Clover: World Ignition; (Yotsubane, PC)

Yotsubane's love letter to the shooter genre finally made it home this year. Not only was this one of the best arcade games in recent memory, and in fact the only new shooter that people are still playing in the arcade today, it was released on Steam for dirt cheap, and patched several times to address bugs and fan requests. Given how small Yotsubane's dev team is (mostly one person), that's a lot of effort on a platform in which most Japanese devs are typically out of their element. Beyond how good the game is, Yotsubane is a pioneer in a genre that is all but dead. That alone is worthy of major respect in my opinion.

Gameplay-wise, World Ignition is a straight port of the NESiCA version, which already featured the re-balanced Arcade mode, the frenzied and merciless Time Attack, the Yagawa spice on the Ikeda nachos of Boost Mode, and the "I don't need this 100 yen anymore" balance of Unlimited Mode. Although it's compared to CAVE games, and World Ignition has certainly taken that formula to its end point, given the thorough balancing on each and every mode in the PC/NESiCA release, I think it's fair to say that Yotsubane one-upped CAVE with this one.

Given that World Ignition is showing up here and there on top 10 lists this year, my personal takeaway is that 1. Danmaku doesn't have to be niche if it's done right, 2. CC's extremity in design and precision in execution managed to find acceptance even by people who aren't necessarily genre fans. Pick it up if you haven't already.

ibl3qI4tQzdOGi.jpg

D'Arenberg The Footbolt Shiraz 2011
Plum red passion on the nose that doesn’t let up. Cheap and available, yet outrageously tasty. No one knows what you’re talking about when you bring it up but offers to buy your bottle once they've tried it.

i5GAdfIqgpaWY.jpg

3. Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA Arcade Future Tone; (SEGA AM2, Arcade)

I actually had the previous version of this game on my honorable mentions last year, as it was already a really fun music game. The new version "Future Tone" has added a touch-control strip to the cabinet on which you slide your hand over to hit arrow notes. Songs from DIVA F/f are gradually being ported over, and they take advantage of the new controls to create some really frantic moments. The note charts are curated by the AM2 Miku team, the same people who made my GOTY 2013, Mirai 2. Knowing that, I've grown to appreciate the Arcade version more and more.

Not being the best otogamer in the world, I mainly hang around the Hard difficulties with occasional dips into "Extreme", but this is just one of those games I can stop by the arcade, drop some coins into and have a blast.

Here are two of my favorite songs from Future Tone.

Lucid Dreaming
Tengaku

ibccZR9Gx4Pbve.jpg

Geoff Merrill Pimpala Road Shiraz 2010
A dependable $20 Shiraz that goes with anything or is drinkable on its own. Wham-bam-thank you ma’am. Light and satisfying with a lingering complexity.

iubXyHct2cmjr.png

4. The Evil Within; (Tango, PS4)

So I'm only on Chapter 4 of The Evil Within at the moment, but it's already a very compelling and intriguing game. Unable to rely exclusively on firepower, you have to sneak and trap your way through the stages which are logical yet satisfyingly hard. Every enemy encounter feels like a challenging action puzzle and you really have to use the entire environment to your advantage.

Really I had hoped to be further in by the time the GOTY votes came around, but I'm going to trust in the wise judgment of Tain and Neiteio to give the Evil Within a spot on my list. I'll get around to beating this once I get some free time...

iMmjierzXxH2j.jpg

Beringer Napa Valley Chardonnay 2011
A smooth and reliable white. Harmoniously balanced and voluminous. Walk into the golden light and never return...

DigitalDevilSummoner

zero cognitive reasoning abilities

1. Tales of Xillia 2. Although it's nothing we haven't played before, it's a solid game with intense and very addictive action-ish rpg combat, stellar ost, satisfying story -especially if you liked the first one, a plethora of well developed, well dubbed characters that are not the usual anime stereotypes. It can feel at times like they are recycling past assets but it works well with the cohesiveness of both games. It was a proper and respectful sequel in all the ways FF dash 2 games are not. And for the first time a slightly darker tone in a tales of game. Not exactly the most original japanese rpg but it does everything perfectly.

GamerJM

Banned
195058_front.jpg

1. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U; Is Super Smash Bros. for Wii U better than Melee? The answer is no, but then again, no video game will likely ever match Melee's impeccable combination of speed, depth, gameplay intricacies, movement options, game feel, and just general perfection (all while managing to maintain a very low skill floor and a very high skill ceiling). While Smash 4 doesn't have most of that, what it does have is, for my money, the most fun present in any game released in 2014. A smorgasbord of modes are available here, and while not all of them are hits, the ones that do hit are awesome. Smash 4 has the best classic mode in a Smash Bros. game to date. Master Orders and Crazy Orders are addicting as hell. Amiibos are way more fun to train than I could have ever expected. The online netcode works a lot better than I even hoped as well. Smash 4 might not have fan service quite on the level of Brawl's, but most of Nintendo's franchises are well represented here, from Mario to Xenoblade, even if I wasn't entirely pleased with the character selection. The core gameplay, while again not on the level of Melee or Project M, is a lot of fun and a huge improvement over Brawl's general floaty gameplay; the game still has my favorite general game engine of any fighting game released this year. The stage selection is also pretty great, an improvement over 3DS's and Brawl's, though not quite as good as Melee or 64's. The game's general art design and presentation represent Nintendo as a whole, far more than any previous title in the series. In fact, the way Smash 4 manages to maintain an art direction so cohesive throughout is quite a feat considering how diverse Nintendo's cast of characters are. In fact, I think the best compliment I can give Smash 4, though, is that this game feels like it hits much closer to Sakurai's vision of what he wants Smash Bros. to be than any other title in the series thus far. It's a casual fighting game that players of any skill level can enjoy to some extent, representing Nintendo's entire history extremely well.

470846_front.jpg

2. Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire; In all honesty, Pokemon ORAS is probably actually one of my least favorite Pokemon games. I think I like it less than every other mainline release except for the original Red/Green/Blue/Yellow versions. That being said, if I don't put this game at number 2 then I'd be lying, because I like it better than the games I list at 3-10. The lack of Battle Frontier and new additions to gen 3 in this game were unforgivable. In some ways this game just felt they took what didn't work about gen 6 and applied it to gen 3 (why did Game Freak change Mauville City to be more like the City from X/Y that everyone hated?!). Gen 3 was a gen that I felt like had potential to be one of the best if it had more work done on it, but this game didn't fix any of its flaws. ORAS is also just way too easy. All of this aside, ORAS is number 2 on this list for a reason, and that reason is that Pokemon is my favorite series in gaming. The core gameplay here of building a team of pocket monsters is just so perfected and finely tuned at this point. There are so many options, so many different ways to play through each Pokemon game, so many different strategies and team combinations. For all of the shit I give them, Game Freak continues to expand upon this and perfect this absolutely winning formula with every entry in the series, and for that reason, I feel as though Pokemon is the epitome of the turn-based RPG from a sheer gameplay perspective.

402401_front.jpg

3. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker; Treasure Tracker may just very well be my biggest surprise of 2014. At the beginning of the year we didn't even know this game existed, and when it was announced I was somewhat skeptical, but here we are. Treasure Tracker is Tokyo EAD's first game since Donkey Kong Jungle Beat that demonstrates why they can make games more unique than anything else in the industry. It's also the game that, more than any other Tokyo EAD game I've played, represents why I feel that Tokyo EAD is the best developer in the business. They can take a very, very simple concept, with very, very simple gameplay mechanics, and take it very, very far. Captain Toad is the epitome of addition through subtraction; by making a platformer-puzzle game without a dedicated jump, attack, or dodge button, Tokyo EAD manages to constantly surprise the player with how intricate their levels to be with such simple gameplay mechanics. By the end of the game I was really quite blown away with how brilliant the levels could be. Everything about Captain Toad is designed in a way that feels deliberate and makes sense; even the usage of the Gamepad feels intuitive and non-intrusive. Captain Toad, more than any other title released in 2014, is the game that exemplifies what I want the video game industry to be like. We need more games like Captain Toad, Super Monkey Ball, Elite Beat Agents, and Pokemon Snap; unique, nonviolent titles with a happy atmosphere. I won't lie, Captain Toad doesn't have a ton of content; even for 40$, the title felt as though it was over a little too quickly. But perhaps that's just because I was having too much fun, as throughout my playthrough of Treasure Tracker, I never stopped grinning from ear to ear.

426066_thumb.jpg

4. Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions; Despite not being very good at the games, I love, love, love the Geometry Wars titles. The dual stick control scheme feels so intuitive, and the games just feel so perfectly balanced. The original Geometry Wars actually played a fairly big part in convincing me to get an Xbox 360. However, prior to the release of this title, it had been a while since I last played a Geometry Wars game, and I feel as though I'd forgotten why I love the series so much. Because, holy hell, this game is a blast. Building upon Retro Evolved 2's mechanics in every way, Dimensions feels like the peak of everything else in the series up until now. Adventure more is one of the most intense experiences I've had this year, and presents an insane amount of gameplay variety and progression. With its stunning visuals and polish, Geometry Wars 3 puts lesser titles like Resogun and Mutant Storm Empire to shame.

381360_front.jpg

5. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call; Forget Bravely Default and its garbage ass groundhog day chapter, Curtain Call is the game that proves that Square Enix is still relevant in 2014. Curtain Call admittedly doesn't have a whole lot of depth, and its skill ceiling is relatively low, but it lacks in depth it makes up in quantity of content. Because, holy hell is there a lot of game here. 221 songs included in total, not even including DLC! Lots of quests to complete as well, and the RPG elements give this game a ton of replay value as well. Admittedly I haven't played this game as much as I'd like to yet, but I'd wager that even once I play this more in the next couple weeks I'll still feel as though I'm just scratching the surface. Even though the gameplay mechanics aren't too deep, they're a lot of fun, evoking some kind of weird combination between Elite Beat Agents and Taiko Drum Master. Theatrhythm Curtain Call is also just a great Final Fantasy fanservice game as well, treating the entire franchise with respect. Definitely one of the best 3DS games released this year and my favorite rhythm game of the year.

298185_front.jpg

6. Puyo Puyo Tetris; Quite possibly the most obscure game on this list, it's quite a travesty Puyo Puyo Tetris didn't get released in the US, as it's probably my favorite Tetris game in nearly a decade. Like Curtain Call, Puyo Puyo Tetris's best asset is its quantity of content. There are several modes here, and most of them are quite fun, putting unique spins on the Tetris and Puyo Puyo gameplay. While a lot of them are quite unbalanced, giving some sort of edge to the Puyo Puyo side or the Tetris side, they still manage to be a lot of fun. The game just feels really slick as well, especially on the Vita, where it's really nice to just have some kind of variation on Tetris at all. The story mode is also fun in a really weird and goofy way. Other than that, there's not much to say, it's Tetris meets Puyo Puyo, it's pretty much what you'd expect.

284643_front.jpg

7. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze; I'm not really a big fan of Retro studios or Donkey Kong (outside of the criminally underrated Jungle Beat), so it's quite surprising that this game managed to rank on this list. I've played a little bit of DKC1 on SNES which I didn't like at all, DK64 which I though was....okay, Metroid Prime 1 and 2 which I loathed (mostly for reasons related to genre, I'll give them another try with the Wii U rereleases!), and DKCR which I enjoyed but found largely forgettable. Tropical Freeze feels like none of those games. I'd compare it to last year's impeccable Rayman Legends, which managed to feel like the Super Mario Galaxy of modern 2D platformers, which its beautiful art design, speed and intuitive, near-perfect level design. While Tropical Freeze doesn't quite hit the same highs that Rayman Legends hit, it comes damn close at times. While TF has less worlds than Returns had, it makes up for it by having an insane amount of variety in its levels; no two levels feel alike. The game's difficulty is near perfect, managing to feel at times difficult but always entirely fair and never too difficult. And of course, the soundtrack, the wondrous, wondrous soundtrack. I've actually never been too big on David Wise up until now, I feel as though the first two DKC games have great soundtracks that were ultimately hampered by the SNES's soundchip. Tropical Freeze, on the other hand, feels like the culmination of all of Wise's work up until now. As Pitchfork puts it,
Wise could supply the Donkey Kong Country sound with the HD grandeur it deserved, subbing in live instrumentation for effects and weaving together dynamic scores to match the rapidly-unfolding events onscreen. The end result is a masterclass in game music design, and by extension, kinetic soundscapes in general.
Grassland Grove, in particular, is not just one of my favorite songs in a video game but one of my favorite songs ever, period. Though, keeping all of this in mind, I do feel like I should highlight the fact that TF's boss fights were terrible and really brought the game down for me, all of them feeling like they went on longer than they needed to, with bosses that had hitboxes that felt unclear at times. All of this aside, Tropical Freeze is clearly the best pure platformer of the year.

356988_front.jpg

8. DanganRonpa 2: Goodbye Despair; I'm actually a bit surprised myself with how low this one is on this list, as actually playing through this one was one of my favorite experiences of the year. Nevertheless, DanganRonpa 2 is quite the ride. I like the DanganRonpa franchise a lot, though admittedly not quite as much as the Ace Attorney or Zero Escape series. DR2 started slower than the first game, and at first it was looking like this game was going to end up a disappointment. Then chapter 4 hits. I'm not going to spoil what happens in this game, but suffice to say that halfway through playing DR2, the game's story's insanity ramps up and never slows down. I ended up falling in love with all of the new characters, plot twists, and how well this game's story fits in with the first's. The minigames continue to be intrusive though, and I don't quite like the writing as much as AA/ZE for the most part, but DR2 is still a blast and one of the best experiences of the year.

266042_front.jpg

9. Mario Kart 8; Much like how Super Smash Bros. for Wii U falls short of Super Smash Bros. Melee, Mario Kart 8 falls short of Mario Kart DS for its less technical gameplay and balanced map design. But much like how I feel that Melee is the best game ever, I feel that Mario Kart DS is the best racing game ever, and that MK8 still manages to be a great game despite not being quite as good as MKDS. MK8 mostly just feels like a more polished version of MK7 with much more interesting track design, which isn't necessarily a bad thing as MK7 was pretty great. In fact, the tracks here are all quite great. While the anti-gravity gimmick present here ultimately means very little, the developers still managed to take it very far for what it is, which enhanced the track design quite a bit. The game is also just stellar in terms of music, art design, and presentation. Online works pretty well and is quite fun. Like Smash 4, Mario Kart 8 manages to be the culmination of what the developers at Nintendo envision Mario Kart to be.

372907_front.jpg

10. Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F 2nd; Miku~! I've been a fan of the Project Diva games since the first Japan-only title released on the PSP. The series has been pretty consistently great since the second one, and F 2nd is no exception. Admittedly I've actually hardly played this game (I traditionally play the games during the Summer, so I'm waiting until then to play more), but having listened to the entire soundtrack I feel confident in putting it at number 10. I've been a fan of Vocaloid music since before I've been a fan of the Project Diva games, and F 2nd manages to have a nice selection of Vocaloid tunes as always, with many of them being huge earworms for me. I'm not sure if I'm too fond of the new star note mechanic, but it works fine and isn't really detrimental to the core experience too much (and thank god for the option to set stars to the sticks in the Vita version this time!). Outside of everything here, PDF 2nd is just a really solid rhythm game. There's not a ton of content like Curtain Call, and the skill ceiling is higher (though admittedly not a whole lot, it's still not anywhere close to Bemani games or ITG2 or something), but Project Diva F 2nd is just an addicting, fun rhythm game, rounding out the bottom of my list.

Honorable mentions
x. Super Smash Bros. for 3DS; This game actually probably should be at number 2. I like it more than every game released this year other than its console counterpart, I've put more time into it than any other game that released this year, and I even bought it twice (once in Japanese, once in English). However, I'm not putting it on here simply on account of the fact that its sheer existence pisses me off. This game shouldn't exist. All of the content exclusive to it should be in the Wii U version. There's no reason the Wii U version should be gimped because of the 3DS version. This is the reason Ice Climbers wasn't in the Wii U game. This is the reason we can't play Smash Run on the Wii U. This game is the reason we don't have an awesome new Earthbound stage on the Wii U version. Smash 3DS, I love you, but fuck your existence.

x. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy; This game is just a 3DS rerelease of a rerelease of three other games (though, admittedly the original rerelease had some issues that were fixed in this one), and I'm not including rereleases on my actual list. So why is it on here? Well, taken as one single package it might be the best game released this year, or at least close to it. Individually each Ace Attorney game has its own issues and flaws, but the originally trilogy, treated as one big game, is just an amazing experience with a brilliant cohesive story with many reoccurring themes and characters. I laughed and cried throughout my original playthrough of it, and this is now the definite version. Seriously guys, buy to support more Ace Attorney in the US! (hell, you guys should even buy that awful Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney title that shouldn't even be mentioned near the rest of this list just to support that)

x. Final Fantasy X/X-2 Remastered; Again, not on the top 10 because it's just a rerelease. This was my first time playing FFX and its now my favorite mainline FF game, and if it did count this game would be quite high on the list. The characters and writing here are embarrassingly bad, but everything else here is great, which I guess just shows how much I don't care about story if it's not the selling point of a game. FFX has it all; a brilliant progression system, a nice, fun, snappy battle system, some of the better music in the series, and a world design that feels melds together with the rest of the game extremely well. FFX's biggest strength might actually just be how linear it is; FFX uses its linearity to its advantage, making you feel like you're on a tour of this grand world instead of feeling as though you're just walking down linear corridor after linear corridor.

x. DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc; I actually probably like this game more than Miku, but I didn't include it on my list because having two DanganRonpa games would be booooring. Anyways, most of what I said for the second game goes for this game, though I'd say it's more consistent throughout and has a more interesting setting and a better soundtrack. It never gets quite as crazy as its successor but by the end I was pretty emotional about the game's story.

x. Persona 4 Arena Ultimax; I didn't like this game as much as the first one and I'm not really sure why, because it feels like it improves upon it in every way. The P4A games manage to have extremely accessible gameplay for anime fighting games, and the titles also have pretty good story modes and represent the Persona 4 universe really well. I guess I was mainly disappointed with this game's online being less active than the first game's, and also less scrubby players for me to play with being present. Also, despite the cliffhanger in the first game's story, I still feel like it's kind of unnecessary to have two Persona fighting games.

x. Guilty Gear Xrd; I had pretty high expectations for this game, and honestly it met them entirely, but upon playing Xrd I realized that I don't really love what I expected this game to be anyways, and now I'm sort of confused as to why I was so excited for this game in the first place. That aside, Xrd manages to be a completely dazzling fighting game, with a diverse cast of characters and just the perfect balance of speed/combos for me. I wasn't a big fan of Accent Core, but Xrd is really everything I wanted from the Guilty Gear series. Additionally it probably has my favorite visual style in any video game....ever. All of this aside, Xrd is just too lacking in content for me to put it on my actual top 10 list, especially next to P4AU. Additionally I was pretty pissed off at how poorly the online was working for the first couple of weeks, even though they have that all sorted out now.

x. TxK; TxK is a trippy shmup from the mind of Jeff Minter, creator of Temptest 2000. It manages to accomplish what it set out to do fairly well. It reminds me of the sort of games that you'd find on the earlier days of XBLA, which is neat. It's also a bit odd that this game is a Vita exclusive but eh. There isn't a whole lot to TxK otherwise, it's just a neat, fun, arcadey game that I found to be a unique enough release to put on here.

x. Nidhogg; Nidhogg is a unique, completely insane fencing game that I have a blast with every time I play it. The reason it's not on the top 10 list is that there's not really much to its online and none of my friends have any interest in playing a game this bizarre with me. As a result there's not a whole lot here for me to experience, but what I did experience I had a blast with. It's nice to have unconventional fighting games like this and Divekick, though this game isn't as fully featured as Divekick.

____

Games that could have made this list but I didn't play but want to:
D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die
Sunset Overdrive
Demon Gaze
Final Fantasy XIII: Lighting Returns
The Talos Principle
Pushmo World
80 Days
TowerFall Ascension
Velocity 2X
Freedom Planet
Gauntlet
Monument Valley

Anyways, despite how awful and repugnant GamerGate made this year, this was a pretty great year in video game software, even though I was pretty down on it for most of the duration of the year. There were even games from this year that I played and enjoyed but didn't feel inclined to put on my honorable mentions because I didn't really see them as anything notable.

1. Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor ; I love Tolkien and Middle-Earth. I always wanted to play a good game set in Middle-Earth. I was never particularly fussy about it being a story that rivaled Tolkien or used the lore with utmost accuracy. I just wanted a game set somewhere in Middle-Earth that was fun to play. Up to this point, I was constantly let down by every outing that was attached to Tolkien's name so my expectations for Shadow of Mordor were not high. It looked like it would be competent and had an ambitious idea. I was never thrilled with Mordor as the area in Middle-Earth that I would want to play in. When I started playing it, it still felt somewhat mediocre but better than every other Lord of the Rings games before it. Mordor is a bit boring of an overworld and its mechanics are borrowed from other franchises. But ultimately, it ties together into a fun and worthwhile package that borrows lore and characters from my favourite books even if the story itself isn't great.

Then there's the Nemesis System. Now, here is something that could have been the victim of empty hype. Fortunately, it lives up to how the developers were selling it. I could not get enough of this system. I played this game twice in a row with forty hours between both playthroughs and I was still seeing interesting orcs who have a way better memory of our past run-ins than I do. I can rarely continue to play a game after I've finished it 100% but I still wanted to run around Mordor messing with the orc hierarchy, creating a new nemesis, branding orcs, fighting warchiefs and replacing them with my own. All the way, I was falling in love with random orcs who would have just been nobodies in any other game but had enough personality to make messing with them entertaining. I just turned it on a few weeks ago to show it off to a friend and we had a lot of fun intimidating Gimub the Timid who, as his name suggests, is afraid of everything including you. As soon as you show up, he'll dart. We just kept chasing him from scene to scene just because we could. I never encountered this guy in my forty hours prior to this. It just shows how dynamic the system is. This is the kick in the pants that open world games need. Sure, the actual design of the world in this game could use some work which I hope to see in a sequel but this level of interaction with the world around you needs to be in more games.

2. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes ; Metal Gear Solid is my favourite franchise. Sure, this game isn't long. I wouldn't exactly call it a demo myself but the criticisms towards the length are valid. That said, it is some of tightest stealth gameplay I've played in some time and it is certainly the best Metal Gear Solid has ever played. I may have finished my first playthrough in 86 minutes but I have over 27 hours in my overall play time. The game is addictive and there is so many ways to tackle a situation. This goes for the various side missions and trials that the game has to offer. Ultimately, the game does just make me want to play The Phantom Pain but I'm glad I had something to whet my appetite on even if it is a bit overpriced. The Metal Gear series has always been story focused and although, I wasn't a fan of certain aspects of Ground Zeroes' story, the cutscenes are some of the best you'll see in a video game. The voice acting is also great as usual regardless of the awkward but also amazing fiddles line and I'm fine with Kiefer Sutherland being the new voice of Snake now that I've heard him in action.

3. inFamous: Second Son ; At some point, we are going to get sick of superheroes (or supervillains as the case may be) but I'm still on board with them. The previous two inFamous games were incredibly fun games with their use of powers despite a somewhat boring overworld (I'm beginning to repeat myself here) and tedious missions. Unfortunately, Second Son carries these same problems with it as Seattle is soulless and empty and the side missions are fairly one note. Thankfully, the powers are still great and now there's even more variety. Delsin has smoke, neon and video (cement barely counts) powers at his disposal which adds a lot of nuance to an otherwise repetitive game. I may sound more negative than positive here but the powers are fantastic. The combat is fun but the traversal is where the game shines. As you gain the three main powers and upgrade, you find yourself being able to go faster and faster and jump higher and higher. Video was where the game really shined for me. Flying across the town on satellites and going invisible to smack dudes with your video sword. The video super move isn't great but the ones for smoke and neon make up for it. Fun really is the word to describe this game which lessens the disappointment of its lack of depth.

4. P.T. ; I didn't have a PS4 when this was announced and I probably wouldn't have downloaded it initially if I did after seeing the incredibly fake scared reactions in the initial trailer. At least, I thought they were fake reactions. When I actually got to play this game, I learned that there was nothing fake about them. This game is terrifying. The build up to the first jump scare is so effective that you really have to play it to understand it. The quick glimpses of ghosts, the creepy radio, the perpetual 11:59 on the clock, the random sounds. Speaking of random, replays of this game show just how random some things can seem as I've been scared in different ways a couple of times. I've got a lot of fun out of watching friends and family play this game which probably makes me a terrible person but I do not care. The entertainment value of slowly seeing someone figure out the game is endlessly entertaining.

The effective horror aspect of P.T. aside, there's another massive surprise about this game. The fact that it was an announcement, or playable teaser for another game. Announcements of games are boring. You get a CGI trailer with a PR person rambling out a few key features. Very few games shows themselves off fairly well in their initial reveals and the surprise of it rarely exists anymore with leaks being an ever present problem. The fact that Silent Hills was announced through this game and that wasn't known until the first person finished it is crazy. No one really could have expected that and I love it. Sure, filling the latter half of the game with obtuse puzzles does take away from the horror and makes it boring but I appreciate why they did it. Attempts of making something viral can often fall flat on its face but what they did here was very impressive. I don't know if Silent Hills will end up being a good game but I'll likely keep going back to P.T. to trick another hapless friends into playing it.

5. Velocity 2x ; Velocity 2x came out of nowhere to be one of my favourite games of the year. With a mix of on foot and spaceship sections, you're rarely bored in this game throughout its impressive fifty missions. I do wish the game focused more on what is in the title. That is, going fast as there are a lot of missions, particularly later in the game that seem designed to slow you down. If I was perhaps better at speedrunning the game, I'd appreciate these sections more but I did not have the skill to get the best times. Still, the missions designed to keep you going faster were an absolute blast. Also, the story may not be much to talk about but a strong female character was nice to see.

6. The Last of Us: Left Behind ; I don't play a whole lot of DLC even though this isn't the only DLC on this list. The Last of Us was number 3 on my list last year so I obviously love it and was happy to pick up the Remastered version that had this included. There's not much to say outside of it being more of The Last of Us and that is a good thing. The introduction of three-way fights and the impressive use of using the games mechanics in service of the character moments stand out. The segregation of the story and combat sections is a little disappointing but it is still a fantastic few hours examining the relationship between Ellie and Riley which informs Ellie's character so much in the main game.

7. Pix the Cat ; I'll admit that I never would have touched this if it wasn't for PS+ although I doubt I'm the only person who falls into that category. I wasn't expecting to play it for more than a few minutes but the feverish soundtrack and visuals, especially when you actually break into fever time keeps drawing me back. It's deceptively simple until you learn you really need skill to unlock everything the game has to offer which includes various modes, some of which have very different goals. I do mostly play this when I'm waiting for something to install on the PS4 or just for a few minutes before I turn off the console but that does not take away from my appreciation of this adorable game.

8. Shovel Knight ; I definitely am not of the age that would be nostalgic for a title like this but it is hard not to recognize the craft and artistry that went into making this game. I do have a few control issues on the 3DS version and I'm not a fan of all the levels but every boss in this game is fantastic. Figuring out the moves and jumping on their heads with the shovel is incredibly satisfying. Pandering to nostalgia or not, this is a very well designed and fun 2D platformer.

9. inFamous: First Light ; I may be cheating putting this and Second Son on the list separately but they do feel like separate titles and First Light even has its own platinum trophy so that's enough justification for me. This DLC focuses on the Fetch character and the neon power. I really did like Fetch in the main game and I enjoyed getting an insight into her tragic backstory. They develop on the neon power more than the main game, and although I miss my beloved video power, traversing around the world is still fun and the combat is better here than it was in Second Son although the tedious missions persist. The addition of the challenge rooms allows you to appreciate some of the new combat moves more. I like DLC that feels like it's doing it's own thing and although, it's the same city and one of the same powers, this does feel like its own small game.

10. Luftrausers ; Probably wins the award for best title of a game in 2014. I don't think I played this game enough to grasp its intricacies but there's a lot to enjoy in this addicting title. The soundtrack helps a lot too. I am pretty bad at the game which detracts from my enjoyment but it's still fun unlocking and combining new parts for the ship and the new objectives that come along with it. Once you realize the only way to get a high score is to reach the MAX! combo, the game gets a lot more fun with an intense music track to go along with it. Taking down a battleship for the first time feels great although I haven't managed to take down anything bigger yet.

Overall, a fairly meh year as a lot of people are saying but there was definitely still a lot of good titles. My list would probably be a bit different if I had bought a Wii U in 2014 but there's always next year.

1. Bayonetta 2 ; Without a doubt, this was the most fun I had with a videogame in 2014. An amazing marriage of style and action, I’ve never seen a game that continuously tops itself repeatedly with over the top set pieces. Bayonetta 2 is my GOTY and kudos to Nintendo and Platinum for making it.

2. Wolfenstein: The New Order ; At the beginning of 2014 there was no way I would have guessed I’d have this game so high on my list, but TNO was fantastic and so here we are. Satisfying gunplay, interesting locations and a well written story that actually kept me interested in what happened next puts this as one of the year’s best. I can’t wait to see what MachineGames gives us next.

3. Shovel Knight ; This was the exact opposite of #2, I knew going in this would be great but it exceeded my own lofty expectations. A game that pays homage and yet sets out its own path and identity, I could rave about this game for hours, I plan to pick it up on PSN this year and can’t wait to play it again.

4. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc ; I wrestled between THH and Goodbye Despair(2), but in the end went with the first as it was my introduction to the series, and surprised me with how good it was. An interesting premise, cast of characters, and great music; I can’t recommend this enough if you own a Vita.

5. Alien Isolation ; This felt like a love letter to Alien fans, and was a crazy ride start to finish. It probably could have been a tad shorter, and the AI can get a little wonky at times, but the sense of dread this game instilled was great. And good lord the attention to detail in graphics and sound design.

6. Dragon Age Inquisition ; Too many fetch quests, ho hum combat, the pacing of some zones was off, the main storyline was kind of meh(especially near the end). And yet… over 120 hours combing through Thedas, all of the dragons slain and I’m looking forward to a nightmare playthrough to platinum the game later this year. Inquisition is not a perfect game by any means, but its sense of world building with some interesting side quests and characters shows me that Bioware still has that spark that can captivate me for hours on end.

7. Bravely Default ; Fantastic combat and music carried this game for me. A lot of people hate the 2nd half of the game, but I loved it. A great first showing for the series, hopefully Bravely Second improves on Default and knocks it out of the park.

8. Hearthstone ; I wasn’t going to rank this at all but I realized I've probably played this more than anything this year and felt it should be listed. A game before dinner, a few before bed; Hearthstone is like a disease that eats at me. Even when it’s frustrating I come right back to it. Blizzard always amazes me how they take a format that I once viewed as complex and streamline it while still retaining that deeper feeling.

9. South Park: The Stick of Truth ; A game that defied the odds and turned out great. A little on the short side, and I wish there was a higher difficulty setting, but nothing made me laugh more this year. Some of the moments in this game will stick with me possibly forever in a “wait did they just—“ kind of way.

10. Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor ; The first half of this game was incredible. A fun to play Assassins Creed style game, with a great hook in the nemesis system that I expect to see used in other games sooner than later. My nemesis was named Gold Tooth and like Jason Voorhees he was everywhere. I would look at my girlfriend and go “HE’s BACK!” and we’d wage war once again. Unfortunately the 2nd half of the game I felt grossly overpowered, Gold Tooth was long dead; and the ending of the game went off with a dud. That said, I have high hopes for the sequel and it was a great first outing.

Honorable Mentions:

X. Mario Kart 8 ; I wanted to honor some other games this year, its Mario Kart and its great and if you have a Wii U then you already know this(most likely).
X. Super Smash Bros Wii U ; See Mario Kart 8.
X. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance ; My favorite game from 2013, any time a thread on gaf is made for this I feel like I have to open up the soundtrack.
X. Persona Q ; I’m 50 hours in but I don’t want to list it when I’m still playing it.
X. The Evil Within ; I had high hopes for this but overall I found it disappointing. I still think it was a good game, but feel it just didn’t live up to what I expected.

Wanted to get this posted before the deadline, hopefully I can edit in pictures and possibly clean it up a little more.

TheDanimal

1. Mario Kart 8 ; This game knocked my socks off! The polish and creativity that Nintendo put into this game is unbelievable.

2. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U ; The ultimate party fighting game returns! Many hours with friends will be lost to this game.

3. Bravely Default ; Despite the second half of the game, the battle system made this game incredibly fun. I can't wait for the sequel!

4. Azure Striker Gunvolt ; I'm a big fan of Inti-Creates, and they did an amazing job with this game.

5. Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 Remix ; KH 2 in HD. Enough said.

6. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker ; Nintendo managed to bottle charm and I'm not sure how they did it.

1. Shovel Knight ; I am still stunned to this day how right this game feels. It’s certainly retro, but it’s got all the little right modern touches to make it more than that. From the time I turned it on until I finished it, I was blown away by how great it looked, sounded, and played.

2. Destiny ; Very divisive game, but I fall on the “the moment to moment gameplay is so good, the grind doesn’t really bother me” side. I don’t play this obsessively so maybe that helps, but when I pick it up, I’m always having a good time. And I love the look of it

3. Assassin’s Creed Rogue ; I’m a huge AC fan. I love the Americas trilogy, and I love the environments in this game. The sailing and boat combat are still great (sea shanties!), and I think Shay is an interesting character.

4. Driveclub ; I vacillated between this and FH2 in this spot, but I adore the driving model in the game. Despite the problems (and they were certainly terrible), I had a really great time racing the tracks in this game. The intensity of the driving in cockpit view is something.

5. Forza Horizon 2 ; Another fantastic, fun racing game; I really like how you have a lot of options in what kind of races you do to progress, it let’s you really enjoy the variety of cars in the game.

6. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare ; This is still my go to “play for a half-hour” multiplayer game, I always am able to pick it up and have some great moments. Love the exo movement and what that adds.

7. Titanfall ; The pacing of the multiplayer maps is great and when you get used to the titans and movement, you almost always have a badass moment during a match. Campaign mode was a dud, though.

8. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze ; Simply another great platformer from Retro with great music and art to match.

9. Assassin’s Creed Unity ; Played it mostly after it had been fixed up a bit, so that may have helped my impressions. Loved traversing through Paris and enjoyed the vast majority of the missions.

10. Mario Kart 8 ; I had been down on the franchise for a while, but this brought me back. Even though the single player progression still isn’t great, the fantastic art and track designs and smooth multiplayer are great.

Kinosen

Neo Member
bm1o1ao.png

1. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U ; The Smash Bros. series is easily my favorite franchise, and Smash 4 is a comprehensive improvement over Brawl is pretty much every way. A huge character roster with new playstyles, improved online functionality, and expanded local multiplayer options made this pretty much a lock as the game I most enjoyed this past year.

2. Bayonetta Wii U ; The inclusion of a Wii U version of the original Bayonetta made Bayo 2 a must-buy, and together they make for a really high-value action game package. While I'd played and enjoyed Kamiya's Viewtiful Joe and The Wonderful 101 (my GOTY 2013), this was my introduction to his style of single-character combo action, and I absolutely loved it. Each encounter became an opportunity to test, experiment, and practice with the combo system, and Witch Time is a mechanic I may miss deeply with any similar action game that allows dodging.

3. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze ; I really enjoyed Retro Studios' Donkey Kong Country Returns but was still disappointed when DKC:TF was announced since I hoped for a completely different project and thought that maybe DKCR had already said what needed to be said. In this case, it's great to be wrong! With a variety of simply great levels and a really well-fitting soundtrack, Tropical Freeze cements Retro's DKC series as the pinnacle of 2D platforming for me.

4. Transistor ; I loved Transistor in pretty much every respect, from the art, writing, vocal performance, music, and the amazing Turn () battle system, even if the overall story didn't reach Bastion's heights for me. Nevertheless, Bastion and Transistor together demonstrate just how apt a name Supergiant is for such a talented developer.

5. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker ; This is the game I've waited for Nintendo to make since WiiWare was announced. Even though it also had a retail release, Captain Toad feels precisely like what you get when Nintendo applies their craft to a downloadable console experience that completely respects your time, starting from the very moment it boots up.

6. Threes! ; Threes holds the honor for being the best mobile game I've ever played, it's basically my Tetris. It's polished to a fine sheen with a charming presentation, even if I'm not as good at it as I'd like to be. I'd love for there to be a lot more mobile games of Threes's quality!
At least on Android!

7. The Wolf Among Us ; The story I most enjoyed this year, TWAU was a welcome change of pace from the first season of the Walking Dead, and I appreciated that the order of the choices you made had consequences beyond just the choices themselves.

8. Bayonetta 2 ; Bayo 2 is a very earnest and well-made sequel, but after playing the original so soon beforehand, I couldn't help but see too many of the little things I preferred about Bayo 1. Independently of that, it's still a frenentically fun action game worth playing for any genre fan.

9. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC ; "Not content to live this way...Being led by the blind...Got to plan my dispersal...Time to leave them all BEHIIIIIIIIND!!!!"

10. The Walking Dead: Season Two ; It definitely lacked the creative force of Season One, but considering how badly things could've been handled with its protagonist, I still enjoyed overall how Season Two follows-up.

Honorable Mentions
x. Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS ;
x. Theathrythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call ;
x. Fantasy Life ; If anyone tells you this game is worth playing just for the quality of its localization writing, believe them!
x. Mario Kart 8 ;

tanod

when is my burrito
1. Wolfenstein: The New Order ; The most enjoyable shooter campaign I've played in years. Great weapons, cool characters, great pacing from start to finish in gameplay and narrative.

2. Infamous: Second Son ; A solid game from start to finish, a great technical showpiece and best traversal of any open world game I've played before. There is so much potential to make this series better with improving the variety / diversity of the side missions.

3. Alien: Isolation ; The freshest game I played this year. Didn't get to finish it yet but the atmosphere is amazing, the dedication to the source material and art is engrossing and it controls / performs great.

4. P.T. ; A mastercraft in horror. I was on the edge of my seat and totally immersed until just before the very end. I got annoyed running around for a half hour before I broke down, went to GAMEFAQs to learn how to finish it. Konami is making a mistake by not modeling Silent Hills after this.

5. The Last of Us: Remastered ; Others have said enough about this game.

6. Outlast ; Really liked it but the pacing felt off on the last third of the game. I got annoyed with getting killed and redoing parts so I started sprinting past things. Was a little disappointed to see how easily the game experience was broken by doing so.

7. Stick it to the Man! ; Quirky and fun. Didn't finish but enjoyed my time with it.

8. Final Fantasy X HD Remaster ; Thought this deserved to be on the list just because Square showed they gave a shit, put out a great looking / solid performing remaster. However, I played it to death 13-14 years ago and I'm not really up for another play through.

1. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze ; Quite possibly my new favorite 2D platformer of all time. The level design is incredible and every level feels unique. The graphics and art style for the different environments is just stunning. And of course, there is the absolutely masterful soundtrack.

2. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U ; An amazing fighter that is chock full of content. The game just feels great to play and whether it is a 1-on-1 match or an free-for-all match, it flows nicely as it can alternate from a serious match to a chaotic match. And as primarily a Nintendo fan, the fanservice in this game, from the character animations to the stages to the FMV movies, is just spectacular.

3. Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS ; I like this for pretty much the same reasons as the Wii U game, and although the console game is superior, this is still fantastic for a handheld fighter which is why I'm putting it right below its HD counterpart.

4. Mario Kart 8 ; Great track design, stunning graphics, and a positively jazzy soundtrack make this my new favorite Mario Kart. The new item balance is great too and I am glad they finally toned down the blue shell a bit. Also the best use of DLC I have seen in a while.

5. Shovel Knight ; A great 2D platformer that is also a charming nod to the NES classics that it was inspired by. And I just love how the 8-bit graphics and soundtrack really gives you that feeling that you are playing a lost NES game in 2014.

I have some notable games from last year I haven't had the chance to play yet (it always seems to turn out like this), but I'm pretty happy with my list overall. I feel like this was a good year for gaming without a doubt.

1. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc ; This game really captured me from the moment I started playing it. Sometimes a hyped up game will finally get released and it will feel like a bit of a letdown, but that wasn’t the case at all for Danganronpa. The story makes good use of its fairly unique setup, and delivers on some pretty good twists throughout the game (some can be some coming, but some are legitimately shocking). The characters are also all generally well fleshed out. While a cast of 15 limits on the ability to give everyone a complete arc (not to mention that the characters can drop like flies), everyone is at least sketched out well, and the characters who last to the end are all genuinely interesting and complex characters. The mysteries are all pretty well handled, although they can get even more ridiculous than some of the Yamazaki Ace Attorney games. These are definitely the sort of Rube Goldberg murder plots that are just completely ridiculous and impractical, but the game fully commits to that idea, and manages to execute the reveals for each case pretty well. The trials in general are always a lot of fun (and having full voice acting for the trials is a big plus). The only real issue I had with the game was that some of the minigames were a bit silly, but aside from that, it was a really engrossing experience.

2. Steins;Gate
; One of the most compelling game stories I’ve ever experienced. Steins;Gate has one of the more enjoyable and well thought out time travel stories I can think of, especially once you get to the true ending. What really impressed me though was the arc for the main character, Okabe. At the beginning of the game he was really one of the most obnoxious and unlikable protagonists I can think of, but over the course of the game he went through one of the most amazing arcs I can think of. Steins;Gate really committed to showing a proud and arrogant man being humbled and brought low, and showed the way in which every aspect of his façade fell apart as his choices lead to suffering. It’s rare indeed, even in the most story driven games out there, to really have a game that spends so much time exploring a character’s psyche and showing their real, genuine growth as a person (not just changing their goals, having a simple narrative arc or getting power ups). The rest of the cast don’t have nearly as deep an arc due to the lack of getting inside their heads, but they all come out pretty well themselves, with Kurisu also getting a pretty decent arc. With almost no game play to speak of, all I can really do is praise this game’s story (the music is also pretty good), but what a story it is. If you haven’t already, you owe it to yourself to play this game, either by getting the PC version, or picking up the PS3 or Vita releases coming out this year.

3. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze ; It’s the fourth greatest 2D platformer ever (behind DKC 2, DKC, and DKC 3). David Wise returns to the series that his music defined, and the results are phenomenal. There were multiple times in the game where my performance fell apart because I was trying to listen to the amazing music the first time I heard it (that Lockjaw’s Saga remix…my god). The level design in this game is pretty amazing. The game is definitely on the challenging side, especially compared to a lot of the other games on the market today, and most of the levels feel like marathons, sometimes being 3-4x as long as a typical platformer level, but that just makes the feeling where you finally clear a level or beat a boss feel that much better. This is what I would imagined games of the future being when I was playing the original trilogy back in the 90s. We’ve finally arrived at the promised land.

4. Out of the Park Baseball 15
; The best baseball game on the market for the last 15 years puts out a new version, and it’s still the best on the market. There’s not too much more to say about it. This is a game that just sucks away my free time. The level of depth present in the Out of the Park games is second to none. Once you play them, all other sports games will be forever ruined.

5. Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth
; Persona 3 and 4 are both games special to my heart, so this game already had an advantage going in. And while some characters (say hello Chie and Teddy) have been made into caricatures of themselves, it’s just fun to see these characters again. The dungeons are a lot of fun to explore, and I was surprised to learn just how much fun I had drawing the maps (I should really check out the Etrian Odyssey games soon). While it can’t reach the heights of the main games, this is a lot of fun. My biggest beef was the lack of the in-depth fusion search options from Shin Megami Tensei IV. Stripping out those great features returns some of the tedium of the fusion process, and I hope that Persona 5 isn’t going to follow suit in that regard.

6. Dangaonronpa 2: Goodbye Despair ; A bit of a step down from the first game (although I haven’t beaten it quite yet), but still very engrossing. A few of the characters feel a little more trope-y/anime-esque compared to the first cast (Teruteru and Mikan are the biggest offenders here), and the game starts out pretty slowly, but it comes around to being just about as awesome as the first game by the second chapter or so. The mini-games have been improved, but they still are clearly the game’s weakest element. I also found moving around a lot more cumbersome compared to the first game, because it’s so much slower.

7. Bravely Default ; With that battle system, nothing else matters too much, does it? The flaws of this game have been harped on by some people a lot, but I love it. The battles are a lot of fun, the job system is great, and it has really great music (I’d time Agnes’s special moves to be used last just to keep that music playing as long as possible).

8. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
; The title says it all, doesn’t it? I do miss having a Subspace Emissary-esque mode, especially because a lot of my time is spent in single player, but the game is a lot of fun still. My biggest complaint is just that it feels like there are too many stages with a huge amount of moving parts or big enemies that show up. I like having a little zaniness in my Smash, but sometimes I think this game went a little too far. Still, it’s going to keep giving me tons of fun for years to come.

9. The Wolf Among Us
; My first Telltale experience, and as a fan of the Fables series I’ve had a good time so far. They got most of the characters handled pretty well, and having a game where I can play as Bigby Wolf is a lot of fun.

10. Mario Kart 8
; Possibly the best Mario Kart ever. For a series that has been accused of stagnation, they really went all out for the newest game. I’ve had a ton of fun playing both solo and with my friends. I’m not the greatest player in the world, but it really is a game that’s highly accessible. I haven’t gotten around to the DLC yet, so I still have a lot of Mario Kart left in my future.

d00d3n

My GOTY list:

1. Dark Souls II ; The people who criticized the game for losing the logical and physically consistent connections between areas definitively have a point. There was nothing reminiscent of visualizing the two bells you have to ring high up in a church tower and far down in the gutter below it, nothing as brilliant as when you go down the elevator in Undead Parish and realize that everything is connected and nothing as awe inspiring as climbing up the trap infested Sen’s Fortress to face the gods themselves in Anor Londo.
That being said, even without those moments, Dark Souls II is the most memorable game I have played all year and the game I have played the most (100 hours ps3 + 60 hours PC). The increased prevalence of bonfires and the early availability of free teleportation between bonfires were controversial additions, but I think there is something to be said about how these changes encouraged the player to move forward instead of turtling behind farming strategies in the early areas.
Sure, there was definitely less fear about losing your progress or being locked into an impossible situation, which made exploration less exciting compared with Dark Souls. The design in Dark Souls utilized this fear masterfully to emphasize the early well-designed areas as the foundation of the game, but also to hide the throwaway nature of some of the later areas for most players who never dared to go that far or for the other large group who hastily made it through the areas just because of the heightened tension. The design in Dark Souls II only utilized fear in compartmentalized chunks between the many safe zones, but there were more levels to explore that were still more consistent quality wise.
In a sense, Dark Souls expertly toyed with player emotions to make the world seem a bit more epic than it really was, while Dark Souls II encouraged the player to move forward and explore every detail of a truly massive world. I am not sure which one I prefer, but against the generally weak competition this year, Dark Souls II stands as the uncontested winner for me.

2. Binding of Isaac: Rebirth ; An unconventional roguelike that is the perfect example of appealing simplicity that hides unexpected depth. The simplicity comes from the basic controls, the small levels, and the predictable overall structure of the levels.
The two permanent character enhancements that are free (well, you need a key for one and need to beat the boss for the other) on each level add up to a randomized set of conditions that will define your playthrough irrespective of your choices, but after beating the game a couple of times you learn that your agency is much larger than you initially thought. By finding the predictably placed secret rooms you can gain extra abilities or more commonly extra money to be able to buy more abilities. In the devil rooms you can get some extremely powerful abilities by sacrificing maximum health. That is just two examples, but an extra ability or two can make a huge difference in the game considering the complex interactions between abilities.
The brilliant thing about the game was how the simplicity made the basic gameplay loop of completing another level very addictive, but how the game still managed to provide depth without compromising the simplicity.

3. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker ; I was positively surprised to see this game have more in common with the Mario series than the puzzle genre. Like in the recent Mario games, and unlike most puzzle games, there is only a moderate escalation in difficulty, but a large scope of possible gameplay types that are gradually introduced. Ideas are explored from every interesting angle, but left behind at the point when lesser developers would continue to exploit them with frustrating difficulty constraints. The game may not be as impressive as Super Mario 3d World, but it does not need to be to rank high this year.

4. Wolfenstein: The New Order ; I originally thought that the game would end up lower down on the list, but the generally weak fall schedule (and admittedly, a hefty second half of the year backlog) led to this relatively high position. The game had wonderful characters, old-school level design that emphasized exploration and solid gameplay mechanics such as dual wielding, the addictive upgrade-athon with the laserkraftwerk, and extensive possibilities to use stealth.
It was overall a fantastic first person shooter, but the technical problems at release such as issues with enabling anti-aliasing were annoying and the “second path” through the game was unnecessary filler. In the end, my biggest criticism of the game was the use of discrete transitions between levels that don't provide enough context about how you are progressing forward in relation to the world you are existing in. The result is that you don’t feel immersed in the world like you did in for example Escape from Butcher Bay, The Darkness or Metro: Last Light. I wrote a reply about it in the Wolfenstein OT.

5. Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor ; A competent rehash of some good ideas from the Arkham series and the Assassin’s Creed series. The nemesis system was an interesting addition.

6. Far Cry 4 ; The story missions were more of the same, but Ubisoft are on to something with the open challenges to conquer outposts.

7. Mario Kart 8 ; A brilliant racing game from Nintendo that delivered ridiculous amounts of high quality content. The animations of different characters looking at each other and making faces during races were a thing to behold and made it interesting to watch the automatically generated recap of each race. Ultimately, I had a lot of fun with the game, and if I were a bigger fan of racing games it would probably have ranked higher.

8. Titanfall ; An interesting competitive first person shooter that explored asymmetrical battles between different kinds of robots with powerful weapons and highly mobile infantry.

9. The Last of Us: Left Behind ; A short continuation of the fantastic gameplay from the main game. Almost perfectly executed downloadable content.

10. The Talos Principle ; A mind-bending puzzle game that had some fantastic tests of spatial reasoning. While I really appreciated the quality and depth of the puzzles, there were some major issues with the game. I can see how some people would love the story, but for me the philosophical discussions with the computer were mildly amusing at best and the “revolt against the system” in the hub world made me long for the much more expertly handled version of that in Portal.
An even bigger issue than the story was the generic graphics and music in the actual levels. The graphics seemed like assets taken directly from Serious Sam (which I guess was the point). The music was uninteresting and started to become annoying when you were stuck in a level trying to solve a difficult puzzle. These generic qualities also made me think about how much better the graphics and the music were handled in Portal. I have to give the game credit for the brilliant puzzles, but I don’t think it would have made top 10 if I had worked through my backlog.

x. Infamous: Second Sun ; A solid game that demonstrated the graphical capabilities of the PS4.

x. Deus Ex: The Fall ; I was surprised how well the touch pad controls worked for stealth gameplay like sneaking and takedowns on my ipad. The level design was not as good as Human Revolution, but was still passable.

x. Never Alone ; A beautiful light exploration/puzzle game in the vein of Limbo or Brothers. It was a perfectly fine game, but not a true contender for game of the year status. It just didn't have the punch that Brothers had last year.

Not GOTY material:
Assassin’s Creed: Unity ; Technical issues
Thief ; Pointless overworld was pointless
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes ; Seemed too short and not explosive enough
Child of Light ; Flying made exploring levels boring
Watch Dogs ; Technical issues
Destiny ; The developer gave 0 fucks about the single-play experience
Wasteland 2 ; Quality control wasn’t good enough
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter ; What was the point?
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel! ; Felt uninspired, a rehash, a map pack
Sunset Overdrive ; Open world traversal didn’t flow
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare ; Yearly uninspired release

Not played yet/enough:
Divinity: Original Sin
Legend of Grimrock 2
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Bayonetta 2
South Park: The Stick of Truth
Transistor
Valiant Hearts: The Great War
Shovel Knight
Alien: Isolation
Styx: Master of Shadows
The Evil Within
Assassin's Creed Rogue
This War of Mine
Dragon Age: Inquisition

1. Dragon Age Inquisition ; I'm 70 hours into my first playthrough and only half way done. Add a Nightmare playthrough playing as a new character , new world state, with a new party and different choices and I think it is safe to say I will be playing this one for at least a few more months.

2. Far Cry 4 ;
I love Far Cry games. I've put over 55 hours into it and I'm only half way done.

3. Destiny ;
Should have been number one. It is by far my most played game this year even though I haven't touched it since November. I would have liked more content but I got hundreds of hours out of what was there. What really holds this game back for me and why I stopped playing was that despite adding over 100 people to my friends list, joining a clan, moving to another clan when the first was inactive, joining threads to form groups, I never not once was able for form a full party for a raid. I was only able to even get a few full Fire teams. Over hundreds of hours I spent maybe 5 in a full fire team. If this is supposed to be a social game why am I having to jump through so many hoops just to group with 2-5 people. Edit: you know what I'm moving it down to #3, I know 2nd and 3rd place are worth the same points but whatever.

4. Infamous: Second Son ;
While it was ultimately a short game I still had a ton of on my multiple playthroughs. This game really held down the Spring and most of Summer for me. Photo Mode added another layer of fun later on, although I do not like the way it controls in this game, I find TLOU:R use photo mode much easier.

5. Shadow of Mordor ;
I got my open world itch, my assassins creed itch, and brawer itch all scratched at once. The Nemesis system is pretty cool but a little limited. Ultimately this is a game where you make your own fun and that is what I did and I had a lot of it.

6. The Last of Us: Remastered ;
After getting a platinum on PS3 and playing all the dlc I still ended up playing through this 3 more times. Multiplayer is even better and is still in my opinion the best multiplayer game on PS4. Photo Mode again is a great feature, I hope it becomes standard in all Sony games.

7. South Park: The Stick of Truth ;
The only PS3 game I bought this year. Fun for fans of the show or of rpgs.

8. Driveclub ;
Game completely fell off my radar after the first week. Picked it back up after the weather patch and it has worked its way up from disappointment to honorable mention and finally to number 8 on my list. The multiplayer lobby system is a little ehh, but once you get into a good room it is a pure joy. Even if you blow a turn and fall out of the pack or get wrecked there is still usually a good race to be found. Fighting and getting out a 5th place finish in this game can feel just as good as winning the race with a 10 second lead. Add weather and photo mode and this is a game I don't think I will ever sell. Edit: oh yeah free courses

9. Trials Fusion ;
I really like the game but don't play much anymore because I have hit my ceiling. No matter how hard I try can't get to that next level. So I'm just sorta stuck

10. Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeros ; The main mission alone is worth price of admission in my opinion.

Honorable Mentions

x. P.T.
I've played this game several times and I still get stuck in the same place, yet I keep coming back

x. Infamous: First Light ;
Could of been on the main list but I didn't think two infamous games would be fair. Neon was my least favorite ability in Second Son mainly because of the traversal. I didn't know how they were going to pull off the crazy way Fetch zipped around but they did. Fetch is so fun to control. Now I just play the game to jump around town and take photos. If you have PS+ and have not downloaded this game, DO IT NOW. .

x. Octodad: Dadliest Catch ;
Who knew clumsily doing chores could feel so rewarding

x.The Last of Us: Left Behind
Like infamous I didn't think this would be fair to put on the list since it is included in TLOU:R. However, if the remastered version had not come out this would have been on my list so I thought it was worth mentioning.

legacyzero

Banned
ibuxFwMGFXe47U.jpg

1. Dark Souls II ; Punishing, but fair. Awesome lore, great art direction, and an amazing sense of accomplishment when you succeed.

2. Infamous: Second Son ; Some of the best, and most creative gameplay of the year, and probably the best lighting I've seen in a game yet.

3. P.T. ; I'm a HUGE Silent Hill fan, and knowing how disappointing I was by the most recent entries in the series, this has EVERYTHING a proper Silent Hill game should have. Atmosphere, morbid curiosity, obscurity. I can only hope the full game has this.

4. Grand Theft Auto V ; Having purposely skipped this game last gen for the remaster, this was AMAZING to experience. First Person options, the large world, and the awesome story? What an awesome game.

5. The Last of Us: Remastered ; A truly awesome game, star-to-finish. Great characters, great story, and great situations that have you questioning what you would do in those moments. And the graphics upgrades nailed it.

6. This War of Mine ; An awesome point and click game where you manage humanity, supplies, and decision making on how your characters survive in a war-torn city.

7. Titanfall ; It's just so damn fun to play. If only it had more content, it would be higher on the list.

8. Mario Kart 8 ; Mario Kart in HD? YES. And it was actually FUN to play, unlike Double-Dash (The last MK I played).

9. Driveclub ; The most fun I've had with a racer in a while. It looks stunning, and the driving is just so smooth. The main thing for me was nailing the first-person perspective, as it's the only way I'm able to play racers.

10. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance ; Bought this on GAF Hype. Zero regret.

x. J.U.L.I.A Among the Stars ; A very clever point and click adventure game taking place in space. It's charming, makes you think, and pretty relaxing as well.

x. Final Fantasy X HD Remaster ; A classic reborn. The new texture work, UI menus, etc made this game worth the return.

1. Hearthstone: Heroes of WarCraft ; Really fun card game that brings Warcraft charm to a new genre. That's pretty much enough for me. Plus I put more hours into it than anything else this year.

What an incredible year! I believe I've never had such difficulty narrowing a GOTY Top 10. This time, we got a lot of great games in basically every genre available, hell we even have SEVERAL people naming a (great, IMO) visual novel as their Game of the Year, or even a Fan Translation (masterfully done, too), not to mention some mobile games, like 80 Days (which I haven't played, sadly) and Threes.

Anyway, I'd like to start by saying that I have, sadly, not played Bayonetta 2 and Wolfenstein yet. I have them sitting right next to me, though, and as soon as I complete TW101 and my Nightmare run of DA:I, I'll give them a go. Didn't want to rush it.
I also want to mention that I'm really disappointed by Pokémon ORAS and Shadow of Mordor (especially this one, after all the praise this mediocre game gets everywhere), but that's a discussion for another thread.

Here are my votes (I apologize for the barebones list, with each year that passes I get assigned more things to do at the hospital. That, and I kept putting this off for some time now):
1. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair ; not much I can say without getting into spoiler territory, but two of the culprits went on to become part of my favorite villians of all time. The plot twists are so crazy that even a guy like me, who deduced correctly the true culprit of the original Danganronpa, didn't expect.
2. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze ; the true Dark Souls of platformers. OST of the year, solid gameplay that punishes you for being dumb and not for bad level design
3. Dragon Age: Inquisition ; I'm still in love with this game, you never stop discovering new things. Go for a Nightmare playthrough, and get in love with the game like me.
4. Ace Attorney Investigations 2 ; Ah, this is mainly here because of the amazing mastermind and their reveal. Any AA fan should play this, really.
5. Mario Kart 8 ; I love playing this with my friends, and everyone is fucking mad online. I really like this game, even though the battle mode is lacking, the track selection is amazing. The good things outnumber the bad.
6. Dark Souls II ; An amazing RPG that feels inferior to it's prequel. I think it's my fault for expecting a lot from it, but I have a hard time believing I got more of a "Dark Souls experience" from Tropical Freeze than from this game. It's still a great gem, by any means.
7. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U ; amazing game, but far from the masterpiece that was Brawl. Still, it's a lot more balanced and mechanically better, but I really play this games for the epic crossover feeling, which was way better in past entries. That still doesn't excuse the excessive amount of time I've spent having fun with my friends, which is what gaming is all about anyway.
8. Far Cry 4 ; I had a lot of fun travelling around Kyrat! So much, that this game was the one that granted me my second Plat trophy.
9. Infamous: Second Son ; And this was my introduction to the current generation. Amazing effects and graphics, and the powers are wonderful to play and look at!
10. Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney ; A crossover that could only have happened in my dreams. I still wish it catered more to seasoned fans and not to newcomers, though.
x. Transistor ; Amazing graphics and atmosphere with a storytelling system that tries to hard to be unique. Still, I spent a lot of time playing this game and enjoyed every single moment of it.
x. Alien: Isolation ; The best survival experience of the year, hindered by some annoying bugs on the PS4 version.

Other great games I played this year:
Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS
Murdered: Soul Suspect
The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
The Evil Within
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel!
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
The Walking Dead: Season 2
The Wolf Among Us

Guevara

1. Dark Souls II ; Easily the best game I played this year, and a worthy entry in the Souls series. One small thing I appreciated about DSII is that it was willing to take chances, try new things, experiment with the formula. Even though fans didn't like all the choices, after a few hundred hours at least I was able to understand most of the locus behind those choices. I also watched dozens of hours of streams: this game is a goldmine for challenge plays and speed runs. Last thing I'll say is the DLC brought us some of the best areas in the franchise.

Grassy

This was a really hard list for me to do this year. I didn't get to play as many games as I would have liked, but the ones I enjoyed ended up being massive time sinks for me. In all honesty, my top 4 could have all been in consideration for my personal GOTY. So here is my list.

1. Dark Souls 2 ; Well this was not my first "Souls" game, but it was the first that I really sank my teeth into and completed. I lived and breathed it for 3 months. I went in blind and I absolutely loved it. It's just so rewarding. There is no other series that gives me the sense of accomplishment this series does. I spent way too much time just helping other people destroy bosses and doing silly gestures afterwards. 100 hours in and I still haven't tackled the DLC. Amazing amount of depth. It's not perfect by all means, maybe not even the best "Souls" game, but I enjoyed it so much it's my game of the year.
2. Forza Horizon 2 ; So close. So close to my GOTY that it's basically a tie. This game just brought back the fun of gaming to me. I haven't had pure fun like this with a game for years. The game is immense. It looks amazing, it sounds amazing, and the open-world is amazing to just drive through. The funny thing is, as a diehard Forza Motorsport/sim/racing fan, the best part of this game for me wasn't even the racing. It was just the ability to take any car you wanted and just drive through an awesome open world. It hit the perfect line-between arcade and sim'ish handling for me. I spent way too much time with Photomode as well. I still have to go back, I have unfinished business with this one.
3. Don Bradman Cricket 2014 ; Yep, it's a fucking cricket game. Am I the only person to vote for it? Probably. I'm sure some of you reading this have never seen a cricket game or even know anything about the sport. Well let me tell you a few things about this particular game. It's janky as all-fuck. Some of the animations belong in the 90's. What it is though, is hands-down the best cricket game that's ever come out. Even better than Shane Warne/Brian Lara Cricket '99 by Codemasters. All that needs to be said.
4. Far Cry 4 ; I almost didn't buy this. Far Cry 3.5 I thought. I was wrong. An amazing open-world and it looks fantastic on PS4. I enjoyed this a lot more than FC3. It does drag on near the end, but overall I was surprisingly pretty impressed with Far Cry 4.
5. PES 2015 ; So much better than FIFA 15 it's not even funny. The king is back etc blahblah..it's true though.
6. Destiny ;
7. EA Sports UFC ;

Some of the "bigger" games I didn't get around to this year due to time constraints(I still bought them all though...)

Dragon Age: Inquisition - I actually got 8 hours in, but that's not enough for me to judge it.
Shadows of Mordor
Wolfenstein: TNO
South Park Stick of Truth
Alien Isolation

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom