• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2014 - Voting Thread [voting closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, coming up with this list made me realize I didn't play much this year. Just too busy, I guess. Oh well.

1. South Park: The Stick of Truth; Loved it so much I immediately started over once I beat it the first time.
2. Alien: Isolation; Maaaan, this is the Alien game I always wanted. Most intense experience I had all year. Deserved to sell way more than it did!
3. Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes; Pretty short, but I got lots of gaming out of it going for 100% and it never stopped being fun coming up with ways to approach a mission.
4. Destiny; Yes, LOTS of problems, but the parts that were fun? Boy were they fun!
5. Evil Within; I've always loved survival horror so it just scratched that itch I guess.
6. Mario Kart 8; Just a blast to play with my gf.
7. One Piece: Unlimited World Red; Became strangely addicted to this over xmas

Honourable Mention:
I know it wasn't released this year, but I recently started playing Persona 4: Golden and it's definitely living up to the hype.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
1. Valiant Hearts ; I never expected that much from Valiant Hearts though I did hope for a lot. But the game really managed to surprise me with it's tone that can shift from humorous and playfull to incredibly dark and sad in a second. The first scene, when a general gets hit by a grenade is shockingly impactfull.

2. Divinity: Original Sin ; I was taken by surprise here. I didn't have the game on my radar at all but bought it cause I heard a lot of good things about it, and it turned out to be amazing. The fighting system might as well be one of the most fun fightings systems in any RPG ever created.

3. Wasteland 2 ; Backed this game on Kickstarter and it didn't disappoint me. Although there are some questionable design decissions and the graphics are ugly as sin, it's the combat system and the clever writting as well as the many different options the game gives you that impressed me. It's a rough gem, but it's still a gem.

4. Wolfenstein The New Order ; This game feels like an almost perfect mixture of classic shooter gameplay with modern shooter conventions. A call back to the g(l)ory days of PC FPS that does way more then just jogging your nostalgia and features a surprisingly not-terrible story. Not bad for a game where the main villain is called DeathsHead

5. Civilization Beyond Earth ; Like Dark Souls 2, BE is not what I hoped it would be. It feels constrained in my unfortunate ways. Despite that it still encompasses everything that made Civ V amazing and ads a few very neat features. It's not the best Civ out there but it'll keep me playing for...just...one....more....turn for at least 60 more hours.

6. Trials Fusion ; It's more Trials. There is nothing more I can add to this.

7. Dark Souls 2 PC ; Not as good as Dark Souls I but still a fun game with some great moments and a whole lot of tension

8. Thief ; What can I say, I love stealth games. This is a stealth game. And it's not terrible. That's enough for me

9. The Fall ; A very moody game with a great artstyle and a fantastic story. Can't wait for part 2.

10. Shovel Knight ; A fantastic plattformer with an amazing soundtrack. Loved every second of it

1. Bayonetta 2 ; It's rare that a game that I had such high hopes for manages to surpass those expectations, and then some. Bayonetta 2 is by far the most fun I've had with a game this year. It seamlessly blends comedy, action, smooth controls, a great soundtrack, and excellent graphics into a fantastic package. The fact that the original Bayonetta was included is just icing on the cake. Bayo 2 is my 2014 GOTY.

2. Alien: Isolation ; I can't believe they finally nailed what an Alien game should have been all along. Just about all is forgiven to Sega for the Colonial Marines mess. Alien Isolation is one of the scariest, most tension-filled games I've ever played. Everything looks and sounds like it was from the Alien universe, and the randomized AI for the Alien was a fantastic idea. Outside of the backtracking and minor technical issues, Alien: Isolation deserves to be mentioned among the greatest survival horror games ever made.

3. Infamous: Second Son ; I'd always loved the Infamous games on PS3, but one thing always seemed to be missing: Cole MacGrath had little to no personality of his own. His sidekick was usually more fun to be around. It seems that Sony felt this way also by introducing us to Delsin Rowe and his cop-brother Reggie. The interaction between them is priceless and one that felt like how brothers would talk to each other. The gameplay is fun with all of the powers you gain, the controls are spot on, and the graphics are insane. Seattle is also one of my favorite cities, and they nailed both the look and feel of it. The backstories for each of the conduits is both interesting and heartbreaking. I plan on doing an evil playthrough, but Infamous was one of the best games of the year.

4. Wolfenstein: The New Order ; First person shooters are a genre that I mostly started to avoid simply because I was getting burnt out on them. No real innovation, just point and shoot. Then along comes W:TNO, and it's honestly the best FPS that I've played in ages. It felt innovative, with clean controls, good visuals, an intriguing story, and great on screen action. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with Sgt. Blazkowicz and friends.

5. South Park: The Stick of Truth ; This is the best South Park game ever made, and it's not even close. Trey Parker and Matt Stone finally did what fans have been asking for: make a game that felt like an episode of the TV show. They did, and it was amazing. The only real gripe I had was that the game was a bit too easy and rather short. And while I'm certainly not prudish in any way, even I had a problem with some of the levels (I was pretty grossed out by the abortion minigame, and the Mr. Slave level). Despite that, I had a fun time with it, and loved seeing some of the homages to characters and events that took place in prior seasons.

6. Mario Kart 8 ; I was bored with Mario Kart Wii and Mario Kart on the DS. As soon as I thought I would never get into Mario Kart again, a pal loaned me MK8, and I loved it. The graphics are smooth, the levels are fun, and the racing finally feels right with just enough added to make it worth my time. It still didn't hold my interest for very long, but I cannot ignore how polished and fun it was while it lasted. Definitely one of the best games of 2014 and by far the most fun racing game of this year as well.

7. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare ; I hadn't played CoD since Black Ops, and from all I heard, the series really didn't improve over that time. But when this game released, all I heard from friends and other GAFers is how good this game is, especially the campaign. I was pretty floored. The graphics are insane, the sound design excellent, the story was tense and intriguing (if not a little predictable). I loved the abilities of the EXO suit and the ATS mechs later on. And adding Kevin Spacey was a nice touch.

8. Transistor ; I wasn't much into Bastion, but I loved my time with Transistor. The soundtrack was excellent, the gameplay was fun, and the narration was beyond excellent. Deserves a spot on any 2014 GOTY list.

9. Shadow of Mordor ; I know the comparisons have been made by others, but this really is the best Assassin's Creed type of game that I've played. The combat is excellent, the story is pretty decent, and the graphics are great. The only problem I have so far is that I can see it getting really repetitive really quickly. The Nemesis System is a welcomed addition, and it makes some of the fights feel much more personal. I haven't finished it yet, but it's one of my games of the year.

10. Far Cry 4 ; I loved FC3, and this felt like more of the same. There's a ton of stuff to do, hunt, and collect, while the gameplay remains really good (aside from driving). But the best thing about FC4 was Pagan Min. He's charming, charismatic, and was the most engaging aspect of the game. Meanwhile, Ajay and the Golden Path members I found to be rather boring and lacking personality. I also thought the ending was rather disappointing no matter which option you chose. Still a good game, and one of my GOTY.

x. Guilty Gear Xrd ; It's a bit too technical at times (the roman cancels still confuse me), but the animations and graphics are some of the best I've seen in a fighting game.
x. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze ; I honestly didn't remember the original DKC games being all that hard on the SNES. So when I played DKC:TF, I was surprised at how difficult it was. At the same time, I also recognized just how great of a platformer it was. This was a game where if you lost focus for even a second, you were going to die over and over again. And while it was frustrating at times, it was satisfying once you figured out the patterns. It was my first game for the Wii U, and it was a joy to play.
x. P.T. ; I cannot put this game on my list because it's basically a trailer, but it was my biggest surprise of the year. I kid you not when I say that I flipped the fuck out when I found out that it was for the new Silent Hills game which is my favorite franchise of all time. Not only that, but the level or sheer terror that this brings is beyond any I've ever encountered in a video game in my life. Deserves the highest praise.
x. Infamous: First Light ; Good game, almost as good as Second Son. Fetch's powers are fun to play with, but I disliked the running through neon hoops.

Fjordson

1. Blackwell Epiphany ; A wonderful end to one of the best adventure game series of all time. Solid puzzles that are neither too easy or too obtusely difficult, beautiful pixel art, and high quality writing. It stands on it's own I think, but as someone who has played through all four games preceding Epiphany the story really hit hard.

2. World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor ; WoD isn't a perfect expansion, but for the most part it's as good as any expansion Blizzard has put out for WoW. I've been playing for a decade now and this is some of the most fun I've had in WoW. In my opinion the game has continued to get better and better mechanically over the years and now with WoD I think they've stepped up creatively. The art and the music is incredible and the overall atmosphere and tone of the expansion feels like classic Warcraft in the best way possible.

3. Wolfenstein: The New Order ; This totally caught me by surprise. I rented it from Gamefly and wasn't expecting much more than an okay shooter, but what I got was one of my favourite FPS campaigns in years. The gunplay is well paced and consistently fun and there's some really neat stuff going on here with the story and characters. Like the monologues the player hears throughout the game from protagonist "BJ" Blazkowicz. They're generally well done and helped turn him into a pretty interesting character.

4. Shadowrun: Dragonfall ; Quality cRPG with solid combat, awesome cyberpunk art and fantastic writing.

5. Grant Theft Auto V current gen ; I was reluctant to put this on my top five at first, but in the end I can't deny it a spot because of how much fun it is and how much better it looks. I don't even have a PS4, yet I bought a copy of this and borrowed my brother's console for over two weeks just to play it. The original release of GTA V was already one of the best open-world games of all time and this updated version simply improves on that. The upgraded visuals lend the already stunningly realized world of southern San Andreas new life and the first-person viewpoint brings an entirely new and interesting dimension to GTA. I can simply walk down a Los Santos street in first-person and be entertained. Or people watch at the beach. And it gives things like high speed chases and gun combat a whole new level of intensity.

ibkwLpFwTZuYsy.gif

1. Wolfenstein: The New Order ; Has set the bar for other first person shooters. One of the best FPSs ever, even surpassing Half Life 2. A rare package of fantastic characters, world-building, storytelling, design, soundtrack, and gameplay for a FPS. Blazko is one of the most endearing protagonists in a FPS yet with his noir-ish inner monologues which highlight his nostalgia and world-weariness in an unwelcome time period. It’s a brutal yet charming game with an appreciable darkly comic tone that can somehow shift from holocaust horrors to piloting a mech in the same level without feeling disjointed. In a field of risk-averse design for the genre, Machinegames went all the way to meld old school and modern design ethics that all feels consistent. It’s hard to look at other FPSs without thinking “oh can I dual wield? Can I hold more than 4 weapons? Do they feel as punchy and have cool alternate fires? Do I have to use aim-down-sights? Can I move around and flank the enemies in sandbox combat encounters or do I have to stop-and-pop behind cover? Are the hit reactions as satisfying as goring and dismembering fools here?”.

With this game being made by former Starbreeze developers, it’s not surprising that the storytelling is excellent throughout and has plenty of peripheral stuff that can be discovered like the relationships between well-realized characters in the hub base level and in the two timelines or through newspaper clippings that flesh out the oppressive Nazi world outside that vary in discoveries such as the death of fish and chips in the UK to the dehumanisation of anyone that isn't a white heterosexual, even detail all your previous missions, and a big revelation about a main character through an audio diary. There’s loads more to gush about the game that I covered in a previous thread.

iQ5fKpluAXorQ.gif

2. Jazzpunk ; By far, the funniest game I’ve ever played. Mostly because it’s the most organic form of comedy you can find in a videogame that isn’t reliant on scripted dialogue or cutscenes like even the funniest of adventure games but more about the power of this medium: interaction. The funniest stuff I find in a game is me randomly goofing off with NPCs such as in Deus Ex because you're not sure how the game will react to your actions. This game is all about that agency. You have an item, you use it on a NPC, and bam instant joke. That immediacy from input to response is missing in most comedy videogames. There are tons of cameos and parodies that you might not ever encounter like the hilarious map screen or the Quake-inspired arena shooter in the theme of a wedding celebration (Wedding Qake). The jokes are rapid-fire much like Airplane and the game is all about a satirical retro-futuristic espionage world that is farcical all over even to the very unconventional ending.

iLJmsUOG0l8DJ.gif

3. Alien Isolation ; They finally did it! An authentically and harshly designed survival horror game set in the Alien universe. It might seem like a game of recent fashion in the mold of Amnesia but the scares are twisted when there’s unforgiving and smart AI in the main antagonist. Creative Assembly have done an incredible job to make an AAA horror game finally buck the trends of not having to rely on action unlike other failing horror franchises.

dreamfallchaptersmxr3m.jpg

4. Dreamfall Chapters Book One ; If you want a game that is all about great characters, interpersonal relationships, politics, and an interesting world, this is a no brainer. There’s just so much detail and diversity in this mix of cyberpunk and fantasy worlds through fantastically flawed main characters that I couldn’t help but fall in love with. There are legit moral choices with consequences that manifest in small and big ways. Such as having a totally different base of either working in a lab with Ada, a no-nonsense muslim female scientist and the cutest robot ever. Or a mechanics workshop with the most foul-mouthed indian female character ever and Shitbot (character of the year). Helps that the puzzles aren’t obtuse as can be tradition for this genre. And as a muslim, nice to see positive character representation in a more tolerant world than real life.

ibbu8idrD0DpRJ.jpg

5. Kentucky Route Zero Act III ; If you’re not playing this insanely weird and beautifully surreal Americana adventure that opens new territories for storytelling design in videogames, you are missing out on a unique experience.

ioBbNWrQ3XU2T.gif

6. The Talos Principle ; I was debating whether to include any of the other first person adventure games from this year or “walking simulators” like Vanishing of Ethan Carter (beautiful pacific northwest world and nice weird fiction overlay but intrusive narration full of pointless truisms that feel tangential and standard tale of murder mystery being about misunderstood persecution) or Mind: The Path of Thalamus (beautifully surreal world but the puzzle mechanics get cumbersome). The one flaw with those games are those overly wordy protagonists who don’t know when to shut up and let the player do their thing. Thankfully, The Talos Principle came out of nowhere to deliver a lengthy (20+ hours) puzzle adventure that might not have a unique setting or mechanics but is all about brain-twisting levels that test your spatial cognition skills. On top of that is an ambiguous tale of man-machine musings, religious dogma, existentialism, and hackers through a computer text adventure with enough levity to balance against such heady subject matter. It’s surprising how eloquent and concise the godlike Elohim narrator is, only ever speaking in relation to your progress in the game. Head-scratching because of both elements in the best possible way. It’s a mystery worth figuring out.

ibfvZypCmtfvAf.gif

7. The Marvellous Miss Take ; Best hardcore stealth game of 2014, no ifs or buts. It might look charming and be jazzy thieving good times, but don’t let that fool you from its quite experimental design even from other stealth games. It’s all about nonviolence (“wits not fists”) ghosting through a level to get your art collection back and nothing else, controlled by just a mouse. The story is predictable but the characters make for a nice family atmosphere among good-intentioned thieves.

ihbhX2AUbopRd.gif

8. Lifeless Planet ; Do you like a mix of space sci fi and surrealism with a thick Russian feel? Do you like Solaris or 2001? If so, this is easily recommended for anyone wanting a cool narrative game that has plenty of surprises along the way.

ib4PfxYJhIZIB.gif

9. Hohokum ; Whenever I need to relax, this is the perfect sandbox toy-like world to interact with. If there’s any game this year with this much detail in all the NPCs, I don’t know it. Much like Jazzpunk, that minimalistic loop between input and response is appreciated here but instead of make me laugh, it’s to charm my socks off by kooky characters. The world is a marvel to explore and figure out which is not as easy as you might think. Honestly, this is my favourite game on the PS4 from this year.

BreakableConstantHuia.gif

10. Never Alone ; Easily recommended if you're into a beautiful, awe-inspiring, and really challenging co-op platformer set in a native Alaskan world. It tells an inspiring cultural fable of a girl and her fox trying to seek serenity against the harsh snowy blizzard winters accentuated by a Bastion-esque diegetic narration. There’s no puzzle filler here that even was present in a similar game from last year (Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons). It’s all a narrative experience that is perfectly tied with the mechanics with an epic finale that will test all your skills.

I'm excited to be able to vote for the game of the year.

1. Mario Kart 8 ; I love almost everything about this game, the track design, the music, the handling on the karts and bikes are real solid, plenty of customization and loads of content.
2. Hyrule Warriors ; This hack and slash game is really addictive. Probably my most played game this year. I went into this game, not knowing what to expect, and left completely satisfied. Its replay-ability is high. I have played all the story mode levels multiple times to get better equipment, level the characters, and to get better times. There wasn't a single moment in the game that I didn't enjoy.
3. Super Smash Bros. Wii U ; I bought this game day one, but because of my job, I haven't had much time play it. What I have played, I have enjoyed immensely. The music sounds amazing, the graphics look great (mostly due to a great art style), and the combat is as thrilling as it ever was.
4. Shovel Knight ; Retro gaming done right. The music is great, the level design is full of polish, the gameplay is really engaging and enjoyable. Boss fights are also quite satisfying.
5. Shantae and the Pirate Curse ; Wayforward has done it again. This game took me about 14hrs to beat, of which 11hrs were greatly enjoyed (the other 3 hours were me being stuck because I wasn't paying attention). The music, pixel art, level design and all the boss fight were great. Unlike the previous game in this series (Shantae: Risky's Revenge) there wasn't any part of the game that felt repetitive or boring.
6. Child of Light ; This game, is like, a fairy tale/ child's book/ bedtime story come to life! The art stlye fit the game so well. The music really immersed you into the atmosphere of the game. The turn based rpg battles were every enjoyable and really well done.

Honorable Mentions
x. Super Smash Bros. 3DS ; while this game had almost as much content as it's Wii U counter part, it's controls just didn't feel right to me, not that that stoped me from enjoying the game, of course.
x. Bravely Default ; It's a beautiful game, with a very solid and enjoyable turn based battle system. However, I never completed the game. I will someday, but not anytime in the remainder of this year.

1. Alien Isolation
2. The Wolf Among Us
3. The Walking Dead: Season 2
4. South Park: The Stick of Truth
5. OlliOlli
6. Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishments
7. Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition

pantsmith

Wasn't blown away by anything this year. Played a lot of solid games that did nothing to change the way I thought about video games. I just really enjoyed myself. With that said, the couple that gave me the best experiences:

1. The Last of Us - Left Behind ; Instead of withholding content, or neutering the dramatic punches of their core game by needlessly grafting on more story, Naughty Dog found an appropriate, compelling and deeply human side story that plays up all the best parts of the original and only serves to enhance your time spent with the game and its characters.

Of the best DLC of this generation (of which I'd draw attention to Dark Souls' Artorias of the Abyss and Mass Effect's Citadel), Left Behind took the cake in my eyes and is a prime example of how to respect both your own game and the people who think so highly of it. If you have to make DLC, make it like this.

2. The Banner Saga ; The Banner Saga is like the Oregon Trail meets Fire Emblem meets Myth. You lead a caravan of doomed Norsemen through what are assuredly The End Times, trying desperately to carry what little you can salvage of your personal history and your people's cultural identity along with you.

This was made by a studio of two (three?) people, has one of the rawest soundtracks in recent memory, and hit so many of the boxes on the list of "Things That Really Do It For Me" that I wonder if I'm not on the same potent wavelength its creators are. It is a game with more (uppercase H intentional) Heart than most games can dream of having. It is by no means a perfect, but it is exactly what I didn't know I wanted, and perfectly suited to my tastes.

I am grateful to live in a time when brilliant dreamers can cook something up like this through crowd sourcing.

3. Dark Souls II ; Dark Souls II is the Metal Gear Solid 2 of the Souls series, a twisted fever dream and meditation on its predecessor that is simultaneously "not as good" and "better than" the rest of the series. Its batshit crazy, polarizing, and we need more games like it.

With that said, fuck the DLC (that was clearly planned in advance), fuck the downgrade (that was by no means communicated to the consumer) and fuck Bamco for making From create cheap "pre-order" bullshit in their game. The game stands on its own, but these are needless flaws that exist solely because of publisher meddling.

x. Honorable Mention: Tomodachi Life ; Its not really a game, let alone a good game, but it scores an honorable mention for the time I came home from a 12 hour day of work on my birthday to all of my best friends's Miis singing me happy birthday. I really needed that.

Aaron D.

ibfvZypCmtfvAf.gif

7. The Marvellous Miss Take ; Best hardcore stealth game of 2014, no ifs or buts. It might look charming and be jazzy thieving good times, but don’t let that fool you from its quite experimental design even from other stealth games. It’s all about nonviolence (“wits not fists”) ghosting through a level to get your art collection back and nothing else, controlled by just a mouse. The story is predictable but the characters make for a nice family atmosphere among good-intentioned thieves.

Thanks for mentioning this one. I remember having an eye on it around launch but it kinda fell off my radar. Will Wishlist for big Steam Holiday sale.

(Great descriptions in your overall list, btw.)

Thanks for mentioning this one. I remember having an eye on it around launch but it kinda fell off my radar. Will Wishlist for big Steam Holiday sale.

(Great descriptions in your overall list, btw.)

Thanks! Yeah, Miss Take is loads of fun but tough as hell if you're trying to be perfect at it :p

1. Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme Vs. Full Boost ; My most played game this year. A genre which I didn't even know existed. An incredibly deep game and I've had a ton of fun playing this with the GAF Gundam community.

2. The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth ; With the new engine and new content I'd say this is pretty much an all new game. All the weird jank from the flash engine is gone and we have a smooth, infinitely enjoyable randomly generated dungeon crawler utter chaos simulator.

3. Persona 4 Arena Ultimax ; P4A was probably the first fighting game that I actually got really into. If I didn't rank P4Ultimax high on my list after all the enjoyment the game has brought me I'd be lying to myself. It's my favorite fighting game ever, bar EXVSFB which I guess isn't really a fighting game kind of maybe?.

4. Dark Souls II ; Despite being a huge fucking disappointment it was still a great game that I sunk 140 hours into.

5. Wolfenstein: The New Order ; EFBB and The Darkess are my favorite FPS games. Glad to see that the minds behind those games continue making unique, thrilling, story driven, mechanically sound shooters.

6. Love Live: School Idol Festival ; It's a stupid free to play mobile rhythm game for dumb idiots. You try to collect rare idols and level them up by feeding them other idols. All this just so you can get higher scores in the songs. The rhythm game part is surprisingly fun and the constant stream of content keeps me coming back. It's a good one.

7. Freedom Wars ; I wanted a chill Monster Hunter type game for my Vita. What I got is something more suited to my taste. Althought I haven't played a lot of it yet (just 15 hours) I can't wait to dig in deeper.

curb

Banned
1. The Last of Us: Remastered ; I skipped this on PS3 so I got the remaster to see what all the fuss is about. It started a bit slow for my liking but once it got rolling, my goodness. I'm a sucker for a good story based, third person action game anyway but the story telling in this game really clicked with me. Loved it. One of the most memorable games I’ve played in a long time.

2. Infamous: Second Son ; Again, story based, third person action games are my thing so this was another one that just clicked for me. I loved the other two entries and this one took all my series' complaints about gameplay and pacing and produced something that I absolutely loved. I know this game gets a lot of heat for its lack of interesting side content but that didn't bother me. My second playthrough on my Platinum trophy run was a focused, evil, story-only run and I loved it. The pace at which the plot unfolds if you're not bothered with anything else was just so entertaining to me. When I look back at what I played this year, this game really stands out as just a great experience.

3. Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition ; Another game I passed on PS3. I get why this game got such a positive response. I liked it for a lot the same reasons as my #1 and #2 entries - enjoyable story and fun third person gameplay. Highly recommended.

4. Rogue Legacy ; This was my Vita game of the year. I put in way too many hours building my skills chewing through an embarrassing number of descendants. This game is just a ton of fun and after two new game plus runs, I still go back for a bit more occasionally. It knocked off Spelunky as my main Vita time waster.

5. Assassin's Creed Unity ; I know this game gets a lot of grief for its launch and rightly so in many cases but despite the technical issues, somewhat weak plot and mictrotransaction garbage, I really enjoyed this game. This is my second proper AC game so there's no franchise fatigue for me yet. I didn't enjoy the game's story as much as previous items on my list but walking around Paris was an amazing experience for me. It’s the first game on my PS4 that really made me felt like I was playing something not possible in the previous generation. Keep in mind I’m not a tech-whore so the framerate and pop-in issues didn’t bother me too much.

6. Grand Theft Auto V ; I did not skip this one on the previous generation but yet I ended up buying this again on PS4. I like to keep an open world game around at all times just so that I can hop in a vehicle and burn across the countryside and I thought that GTAV would be one I just hopped into on rare occasion for a joyride but that’s not what happened. For some reason, that game has pulled me back in – unfortunately, at the expense of my Dragon Age Inquisition time. The world, the missions, the driving and the characters just keep me coming back.

7. Infamous: First Light ; It took me a while to get into this one but the back half really got me. I enjoyed Fetch’s backstory plus that final sequence
outside of the prison
was really well done.

8. LittleBigPlanet 3 ; I keep telling myself I’m not going to buy the next installment in this series but I keep doing it anyway. In the case of LBP3 and the Vita version I’ve been pleasantly surprised. In this case, I was happy to discover that the improved jumping physics and new characters make this a much more fun game to actually play. I always enjoy the whimsical LBP story mode and while I think LBP3 is a little weaker in that department, the improved physics continue to make me load the game up and go looking for new community levels. I think this game got unfairly overlooked this fall.

9. Destiny ; Another game that gets a lot of heat – particularly here on GAF outside of the OTs. I didn’t max out my character and I didn’t do any raids but something about the shooting in this game felt so good that I didn’t care. I put in a number of hours, got to Mars and did some crucible stuff and despite not having a plot I cared a damn about, I look back fondly on what I did play and consider it to have been a great gaming experience this year.

10. Transistor ; While I enjoyed the gameplay in Bastion a lot more, I found Transistor to still be a fun game with an interesting premise. I still want to go back on a second playthrough but I doubt that will happen at this rate.

x. Minecraft ; My first real Minecraft experience was on PS4. I still don’t get it but that being said, I did enjoy the 20+ hours I spent digging and building.

d58KsEF.png

1. Nintendo Pocket Football Club ; I've always been a fan of football manager games, but I find them too time consuming. NPFC is a smaller game, with less options there's less for me to focus on, but it's still soooo addicting. I also love the visual style of the game.

2. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze ; Pure platforming perfection. Beautiful soundtrack, tight controls and very well balanced levels.

3. Mario Kart 8 ; As always, Mario Kart delivers fun. And the dlc just adds more fun.

4. The Last of Us: Remastered ; I'm not a fan of remasters, they ruin the industry in the long run if you ask me, but since it's such an epic and wonderful experience that I haven't played on PS3 this one is my one exception.

5. Valiant Hearts ; The piano intro alone deserves a spot in any game of the year list. This game teaches about one of the biggest events of mankind, while you play. Not only about the facts, but also about friendship.

6. Child of Light ; I thank Ubisoft on both knees for the UbiArt engine; it's fantastic. All those so called AAA games make me sick. A little girl growing up and defeating the dark. It lights a much needed small spark. I hope UbiArt has opened the door, because I really want some more.

7. Infamous: Second Son ; Even though it didn't live up to my insane hype, it's a pretty decent game that looks absolutely gorgeous.

8. The Walking Dead: Season 2 ; Playing as Clementine is significantly different from playing as someone who wants to protect Clementine. I was very unforgiving, killing people I thought needed to die in order to stay alive. I hate killing innocent people. This game made me do it and it deserves a spot in my top 10 because of it.

9. BioShock: Infinite: Burial at Sea: Episode 2 ; Oh Rapture, what a fantastic piece of art you are.

10. Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky ; It's the first Atelier game that I have played and it was pretty good. The only thing I didn't like was the time limit, couldn't beat the final (or almost final?) boss because of it. Needed more alchemy training. Maybe the next chapter!

Honorable Mentions
x. Alien: Isolation ; It captures the spirit of the film perfectly, but unfortunately I couldn't finish the game.

Man, the Remastered/DLC situation is splitting the vote for Left Behind, that's really dissapointing for something so special. I played it on PS4 but I think I'll vote for it as DLC so it's considered its own thing.

1. Dragon Age: Inquisition ; Epic RPG, tons of content. Fun combat system. My most played game of the year.
2. Divinity: Original Sin ; Old school style RPG with one of the best turn based battle systems in any RPG.
3. Sunset Overdrive ; Fun mix of traversal and weaponry. Humor is a bit hit and miss, but the core gameplay is fun.
4. Bravely Default ; Beautiful RPG with fun combat system and character building.
5. Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall ; Excellent writing and setting. Well developed characters and fun combat.
6. Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII ; SO MANY OUTFITS

derExperte

1. Goat Simulator; Much more than a dumb joke game, lot's of content, free add-ons, great humor and Flappy Goat. The rest never had a chance.
2. LUFTRAUSERS
3. Vanishing of Ethan Carter
4. Alien Isolation
5. Wolf Among Us
6. Divinity: Original Sin
7. Wolfenstein: The New Order
8. Valiant Hearts
9. The Room (Steam version)
10. Watch_Dogs

11. Never Alone

Anth0ny

holy fuck I still have so many games to finish for the deadline

then I gotta write this post

and actually choose my order

>_<

hemtae

1. Divinity: Original Sin ; Quoting what I wrote about it in the essential RPG thread: "The story may have been forgettable, the writing may have been a bit too much poor man's Monty Python, and things may have fallen apart after the second area, however in a year completely packed with RPGs, this was the best one. The combat stands above everything even on par with Jagged Alliance 2 and its all thanks to its unprecedented level of environmental interaction. There's nothing quite like going into an encounter with everything set up your way with barrels placed in strategic locations to make a choke point then watching the dominoes fall to whatever combo you so desire."
2. Xenonauts ; One of the few games that actually lives up to its spiritual successor and in some parts, even passes it.
3. Shadowrun: Dragonfall ; Vastly better than Dead Man's Switch, which was so ok it was ok.
4. Endless Legend ; Best 4X game to come out this year despite its borked AI which I'm hoping will get patched up to make this game great
5. Wasteland 2 ; It didn't live up to FO1/FO2 but it was better than FO: Tactics so its got that going for it.
6. Dark Souls 2 ; It didn't quite the heights of the first Dark Souls game but it also didn't reach the lows of Demons Souls. It also stops the turn-based streak at five on my list
7. Might & Magic X: Legacy ; Best revival of a dead, almost thirty year old series I've ever seen.
8. Lords of Xulima ; A good lesson is modernizing some stuff without streamlining into trash.
9. Dragon Age: Inquisition ; Maybe this is on my list just because its a follow up to the horrid Dragon Age 2. It didn't match Baldur's Gate 2 much less Dragon Age: Origins but it still managed to at least improve on pretty much all the flaws Dragon Age 2 had.
10. Civilization: Beyond Earth ; It didn't live up to Alpha Centauri and I'm doubting it ever will but there is a few good ideas in there that I'm hoping expansions will bring out.

1. Sunset Overdrive ;

2. Dragon Age: Inquisition ; Bioware returns to the form after the Dragon Age 2 disaster. The choice between this and Sunset for the top spot was extremely difficult, but in the end Sunset just edged it out. Nevertheless, this game completely sucked me in from start to finish. Once I started playing this game, every other game I had was immediately on the back burner and I had no desire to play any of them until my Dragon Age journey was complete. I loved nearly every aspect about it except for how the ending missions felt so abrupt, the Dalish should've been fleshed out more and there were a few throwaway environments that could've been scrapped in favor of sidequests more central to the main story.(mainly The Hissing Wastes and The Forbidden Oasis)

3. Wolfenstein: The New Order ; If it wasn't for the Metro games, this would probably be my favorite FPS campaign since the Halo 3/CoD 4/Bioshock trifecta dropped in 2007. I loved the premise and the gameplay was incredibly frantic and satisfying. It's kind of funny that one of the FPS with the least hype ended up besting all the big budget affairs.

4. The Wolf Among Us Episodes 2-5 ; Telltale at their absolute best. They've crafted a very realized world with engaging characters and a storyline filled with twists that make you think even after the game is over. It's amazing how they managed to make such an immersive game using an IP most gamers are probably unfamiliar with. Going into it I was fairly uninterested, but it ended up being one my favorite gaming experiences of the year. It showed me Telltale can actually make entertaining games when they're not exhausting zombie movie tropes.

5. D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die ; Weird. Wacky. Unique. D4 was a breath of fresh air on the XB1 amidst the litany of big budget AAA titles. Everything about this game exemplified the type of brilliance we've come to expect from Swery. I can't wait for more episodes to release and nobody has an excuse not to try it anymore with it being a GwG game in January.

6. Diablo III: Reaper of Souls ; Most addictive GOTY and a great example of how a proper loot game is done. It literally puts Destiny to shame.

7. Titanfall ; Nearly nonexistent campaign mode, but the best multiplayer experience of the year by far. The traversal and maps are spectacular and this type of skill-based shooter is rare on consoles nowadays. Hopefully, Respawn fleshes the sequel out even more.

8. Destiny ; At first I had Far Cry 4 here and although that game was okay I don't really feel very strongly about it. It honestly feels like every other Ubisoft open world game with tower unlocks, which I'm not really a fan of other than Black Flag. I certainly had fun with it, but it was pretty forgettable.

Ultimately, I had to give Destiny the nod here as much as I don't want to because it has so many unacceptable flaws and because Bungie overhyped it so much. Destiny was my second most played game this year behind Dragon Age and there was around a month or so where I was somewhat addicted to it so clearly I've recieved plenty of enjoyment from playing it.

Yeah the classes are pretty similar, the mission design is pretty lackluster most of the time, the storyline is nonexistent, the PvP is nowhere near as good as Halo's, etc., but the core gameplay loop is pretty satisfying and the loot grind can be addictive.

I see more flaws in Destiny than Far Cry 4, but in the end I still find Destiny more enjoyable due to its strengths, while Far Cry 4 is a game that feels like the least offensive cookie-cutter bullshit for the most part. I don't think it does anything particularly well other than some of the emergent stuff, but even that is dragged down by some of the other design choices in the game. It just plays like yet another rendition of the Ubisoft open-world template.

Destiny 2 will have to make a ton of changes to get me to jump back in, but there's still a great base here.

9. The Last of Us: Left Behind ; Another great chapter in the best game of last year. It has great writing and it's more TLOU. What more needs to be said?

10. Child of Light ; At first I was really disappointed with this game because of my high expectations for it and how barebones it can feel. However, the game really starts to click the further you go on. The story is actually slightly more interesting then it initially appears, the music and environments are pretty nice and the gameplay is in the vein of a classic turn-based JRPG, which is right up my alley.

Will add more impressions later.

pahamrick

Just want to preface this with the note that there are many, many great games from this year that I haven't had a chance to play yet for various reasons (fiances, lacking the system, not meeting requirements on my aging system, ect)

1. Divinity: Original Sin; I got started on the Divinity franchise with Divinity II. So Divinity:OS was sort of on my radar, but not completely. Ended up getting a pre-order and I'm glad I did. I've yet to have a chance to complete the game 100% because I had a dedicated co-op buddy and he hasn't had a chance to play this lately, but the hours we've spent have been amongst some of the best RPG goodness I've experienced in a long time. It's jam packed full of stuff, and not a lot of it feels like filler for the sake of filler. That's one of the reasons why I struggled on the order of my top three games, speficially first and second respectively.

2. Dragon Age: Inquisition; I loved Dragon Age: Origins. Its one of the few games I used to occupy my mind shortly after my dad passed away, and I put many hours into it on Xbox and then eventually PC. I think I must have close to 400 hours between all my total plays on both systems. It is an amazing game to experience, and I still suggest it to anyone who is a fan of Bioware and RPGs in general. Then Dragon Age 2 happened, one of the few games I couldn't bring myself to finish for years. I tried many times to get through just for the sake of the story, because I did enjoy the story but it was brought down by everything else. DA:I is almost a return to form, but it's far from perfect. Not to say it's a knock on the game or anything, but it suffers from a few issues that I found annoying. Most of them stem from the quest design, most of the major story and companion quests I found amazing and good fun, but the majority of the remainder of the side quests seem like they were shoe horned in for the sake of content. An example that has bugged me, is when you're talking to a random NPC to pick up a side quest, and once you're done talking you pick the option to leave and your character simply says "I need to go." When you've got someone complaining about people possibly starving or freezing to death and your character simply says they need to go, I find that a bit of an immersion breaker. I think it would have worked better if they varied the lines and they said something more like "I'll look into it." and "I'll see what I can do." I still love the game, I borrowed a friend's PS4 and blew my saved GS credit to get a copy just to play it and I've racked up close to 150 hours so far, but it just didn't give me that sense of wonder like D:OS did to earn the #1 spot.

3. Shadowrun: Dragonfall; I feel like I might be the only person who would put this in their Top 3. The Shadowrun shooter on Xbox360 was my first exposure to Shadowrun, and I kinda dug it but never got too big into it. I got a little big more interested with Shadowrun Returns, but the story didn't really grab me that much. That all changed with Shadowrun: Dragonfall. The story grabbed me from the start, I enjoyed the cast of characters far more. Everything just clicked, and I loved it from start to finish. This is just for the original DLC version, not even the director's cut stand alone that added some more content and tweaked some stuff. I still need to play through that version.

4. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance; I think this is possibly one of the few games that made me grin almost the entire way through. If anyone loves action games, and they haven't played this yet, you owe it yourselfs to give it a shot. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

5. Infamous: Second Son; Some folks might find this hard to believe, the first Infamous game was the game that made me go "I need a PS3 sooner, rather than later." The first two are probably solidly in my top ten PS3 games, simply because of how much fun I tend to have in open world games that give you super powers. Second Son is a solid first entry for the PS4, but I wish the story was a bit more fleshed out. Some things just seemed to happen at a break neck pace, and characters are seemingly pushed to the side way too quick. I also missed the content generation system from Infamous 2. Still a great, great game. Glad I got to enjoy it sooner rather than later thanks to a borrowed PS4.

6. Valkyria Chronicles PC; Firmly in my top 3 PS3 games list. There's not much I can say other than this game is amazing, and the only reason its not higher is because I played the hell out of it on PS3.

7. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky FC; I bought the PSP version day 1, soon as I got my Vita. I didn't finish it until I got the PC version. I loved the story, and I'm desperately awaiting SC because of dat ending.

8. The Wolf Among Us; Loved the comic this is based on, and it serves as a fairly night prequel to the events of it. I can't recommend this enough to fans of the comic, and I also can't recommend the comic enough to fans of the game.

9. Bravely Default; A good, solid title for the 3DS that is let down by it's second half. Would have been higher on my list if not for that.

10. Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls; Put more hours into the game + expansion than base Diablo 3 itself. It fixed a lot, and I need to get back into it eventually.

Honorable Mentions
x. Civilization Beyond Earth; Its another Civ game, so I've had fun with it. But a rocky start, and once again needing expansions to iron out issues means it doesn't make the top ten.

x. Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z; Screw the haters, this game was a blast from start to finish.

Withnail

PT should be eligible, it's a videogame in its own right and almost certainly bears no resemblance to Silent Hills.

If it's disqualified for being a set-up for something else then surely we also have to disqualify Ground Zeroes?

Incomplete

1. Mario Kart 8;
2. Shovel Knight;
3. Sunset Overdrive;
4. MCC;
5. Destiny;
6. GTA 5;
7. Super Smash Bros;
8. Titanfall;
9. Madden 15;
10. Diablo 3 PS4

What do you mean? What mechanics does it have for character relationships? I haven't played it but the last Tales I felt did this well (er, the only I guess) was Symphonia with how approval affected your ending/certain scenes.

IRRC, relationship in Hearts R mostly involves what skills you can share between party members and Dual Mystic Artes. I appreciate it because increasing your relationships actually gives you more options for your character and makes you better in battle.

There are relationship based scenes that are missable since they change depending on your relationship level at the time. Nothing really important though, no endings that I'm aware of.

1. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair ; The original really took me by surprise with respect to its level of engagement in the story and characters, and I was even more surprised by the fact that the second game was even better. They're very close in quality, but in the end this one had some elements that helped it to slightly outshine the predecessor.
2. Danganronpa: Trigger-Happy Havoc ; placeholder
3. Shovel Knight ; placeholder
4. Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth ; placeholder
5. Bravely Default ; While I'm not exactly burnt out on JRPGs, I've not played many traditional JRPGs lately, so a game like this is really awesome when it succeeds, and this game succeeds.
6. Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy Curtain Call ; It improves upon Theatrhythm so well. As good as the original was, this has more songs and the control options are fantastic.
7. Retro Game Challenge 2 ; Just like Theatrhythm, it Improves on the original in virtually every way! Honestly, the Famicom Tantei Club Part II expy is enough to make this game amazing.
8. The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth ; While it has some elements that are overall weaker than the original, they seem to have made a better game overall. I just worry that all the patching they're doing is going to de-funify some of the better items.
9. The Wolf Among Us ; It wasn't quite up to the quality of Walking Dead S1 (different tone after all), but it was a great effort by Telltale. It'd probably rank higher if Telltale wasn't still phoning it in with respect to technical details.
10. Thomas Was Alone ; It was a really great story game, though the puzzles seem relatively less important. Few games can get you emotionally invested in squares!

1. South Park: The Stick of Truth (X360) ; Funniest game I have ever played. Gameplay was fun too. I want a sequel.
2. Far Cry 4 (PS4) ; Better than Far Cry 3 especially the story.
3. Diablo 3: UEE (PS4) ; Never played the game on PC, what a good surprise on ps4.
4. The Last of Us: Left Behind (PS3) ; Fantastic DLC....naughty dog is on another level.
5. Watch Dogs (PS4) ; To me, the game is borderline great. I had a lot of fun with it. The hacking aspect never got old to me. I think WD2 will be something special.
6. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (PS4) ; Huge improvement over ghosts...Kevin Spacey is fun to watch.
7. Destiny (PS4) ; Solid game...another game that is borderline great. Gameplay is great, everything else needs work.
8. Infamous: Second Son (PS4) ; First game that "wow'ed" me as a next gen game. I think its the strongest infamous game.
9. 80 Days (Android) ; Clever game with a neat twist on the book
10. Threes (Android) ; Simple and addicting. a good time waster.

Honorable Mentions
x. Titanfall (Xbox One) ; I need to play this game more. I feel like it would be in my top 5 if i gave it more hours. Loved what I played though.

1. Divinity: Original Sin
2. South Park: The Stick of Truth
3. GTAV PS4
4. The Wolf Among Us
5. Transistor
6. Endless Legend
7. Planetary Annihilation
8. Shadowrun: Dragonfall
9. Ziggurat
10. Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
1. Shadow Of Mordor ; Just an amazing game. Takes the best elements of Assassin's Creed and the Batman games and throws them in a LotR wrapper. Then adds the promising Nemesis system to boot.

It's just a damn fun game and Monolith have layed a fantastic foundation for a sequel.

2. Titanfall ; The fact that this game is MP only stopped me from giving it GOTY, but honestly, this game is multiplayer perfection. There's just ntohing out there that plays as well as Titanfall does. It's a shame this game came out in the condition it did because had the game that exists today released back in April, this game would still be front of mind for many.

Mistakes were made, but hopefully Respawn and EA learn for the sequel. It's going to be amazing.

3. Sunset Overdrive ; Fun is the only way to best describe this game. Pure fun. Traversal is great, the arsenal has great variety and the progression system isn't too basic, or too involved for this kind of title. It's just right. It really feels like the game Insomniac have always wanted to make.

This is a fantastic holdover until Crackdown arrives in 2016.

4. Mario Kart 8 ; Probably the best Mario Kart I've played since 64. It's biggest flaw is probably the cheap/nasty AI on 150CC making 3 stars near impossible in most cases, but aside from that everything is pretty much spot on.

5. Strider ; Instinctively wanted to Day One this but suspected it would be free on one of the services. Thank you PlayStation Plus. I'm a tad biased because I love my Metroidvanias, but Strider just hit all the right notes for me.

Didn't feel overwhelming and the secrets felt satisfying. Not many games make you feel like you really discovered something, but Strider does an admirable job of making you feel like you've discovered something others haven't and I love that.

6. Killer Instinct: Season 2 ; Can I include this? I mean, different developer, different UI, new characters, new season. Tweaks were made and the bump to 900p made a fairly noticeable difference. Killer Instinct is arguably the most accessible fighting game on the planet while also being as deep as any other out there.

7. Diablo 3: Reaper Of Souls ; I'm not normally into Diablo games or RPGs in general, but something about Diablo 3 just seem to click with me. At a time when the PS4 didn't really have anything worth playing, Diablo gave me a reason to turn it on every day. I need to go back to it.

8. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze ; Retro do good work. Probably straddles that line of being too hard for it's own good, but it still shows off all the best aspects of both the series and Retro's outstanding talents.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
1. Bayonetta 2; best action game. Pure, intense, fun action. All in an absurd over the top world with great characters. Gaming joy. Perfection.

2. Hyrule Warriors; the unexpected gem. Great Zelda and original character, full of content, great DLC, great little touches in both the characters and weapons.

3. Mario Kart 8; hours and hours of play. Screams, curses, trying over and over again. Fun, fun, fun. Cute, polished, Luigi's death stare. Yoshi in all the colors.

4. Child of Light; wonderful little game. Great story, atmosphere, music and fun battle system. The real great new Ubisoft game this year.

5. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze; Best 2d platformer ever. Heavenly music.

6. Assassin's Creed: Unity; despite the bugs and all the issues is the best AC post Ezio. I really enjoyed all the changes they have done to AC formula and really like the new stealth moves.

7. Age of Wonders 3; Another good game in this series

8. Europa Universalis IV: The Art of War: the best expansion so far for this game, changed practically everything and I really enjoy the new mechanics.

9. 80 days; As I got a new phone I started looking around for games worth playing. As Google Play store tops are full of crap spammy games, I was very lucky to find out GAF's mobile game of the year thread and so I discovered these 2 really great games (this and the next one). This one is just a wonderful story that you shape as you want, giving you a great sense of adventure just based on the story telling and the mechanics of the game.

10. Monument Valley; A wonderful little puzzle game. Inventive, very nicely looking, a little gem. It just puts to shame all those quick money grabbers that fill the gaming world of mobile. Lovely game.

1. Dragon Age Inquisition ; Probably the only game released this year that had me playing until the wee hours of the morning. A beautiful world to explore, solid battle system, and great characters all come together in a fantastic package. Bioware&#8217;s best game in a long time.
2. Sunset Overdrive ; Fun, simply fun. Showed up the irreverent tone and goofy humor, stayed for the awesome weapons and amazing traversal.
3. Titanfall ; The best competitive MP experience I had this year. The mobility and titan combat were both executed wonderfully, a little shocked it didn&#8217;t make the splash that the media originally hyped it up to be.
4. Dark Souls 2 ; Missing that extra something that leaves it feeling a little lacking compared to its predecessor, but still an engrossing, challenging, well executed action RPG. A slightly subpar Souls game is still better than 90% of releases imo.
5. Divinity Original Sin ; Classic turn based RPG goodness. The interactivity between different elements during combat was genius, dropping a poison cloud and then proceeding to light it on fire for massive explosions never got old.
6. Transistor ; An extremely unique little game with a great hybrid real time / turn based system. The mood and music of the game alone be enough to get on my list, the awesome combat was just a bonus.
7. Metal Gear Revengence ; Balls to the wall crazy over the top action that doesn&#8217;t overstay its welcome.
8. The Wolf Among Us ; Another great Telltale game with interesting characters and great moments / reveals.
9. Shadowrun Returns Dragonfall ; Fantastic writing and world building bolstered by solid, if simple, turnbased RPG mechanics.
10. Banner Saga ; Beautiful SRPG with interesting combat mechanics surrounding attack power, armor, and health.

McNum

Yay, Game of the Year voting time again. And we can vote for re-releases this year? Great, otherwise my list would not have hit 10. Been playing catch-up a lot since I got my Wii U.

So, without further delay, my list:

1. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U ; Super! SMAAAAAAAASH! Brothers! New stages, new fighters, a decent online mode, Palutena, Robin, amiibos, MEGA MAN, several hundred music tracks, GameCube controller support, 8-player Smash, and Duck Hunt. All of this in magnificent 60FPS HD. Smash is a series like few others, when it goes all out for content, it's a marvelous sight to behold. So much stuff, and the fighting game engine is much improved from Brawl without degenerating into Melee style silliness. It really feels like a best of Smash game. Well, except for Snake. But I can live without him. This was the game that sold me on the Wii U. And after playing it, my GOTY list stopped being a contest for best game, only who got to be the runner-up to Smash. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U is, quite comfortably, my Game of the Year 2014.

2. Mario Kart 8 ; And breaking up the otherwise predictable 1-2 Smash victory, comes another Nintendo all-star game. Mario Kart 8. This game is fun, and so very pretty. It's a bit short, but it has a robust online mode and a lot of kart parts to unlock. And Nintendo is doing pretty well with DLC for the game. Link in Mario Kart? Sure, why not?

3. Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS ; Super Smash Bros. for 3DS is not quite as good as its Wii U counterpart, but wow does it work much better than it has any right to on 3DS. How this game runs that well, even online, on the original 3DS hardware is a mystery, it really feels like it's maxing out the 3DS, and it shows. Other than that, well, it's Smash.

4. Hyrule Warriors ; Link, he come to town, and he slaughtered THOUSANDS! I've never really played a Musou game before, but this one was quite fun. Running around, beating up so many enemies, and yet that's not really the point. You can be the best warrior and lose due to strategy. You're so powerful, at least on Normal, that if you attempt something, you're likely to succeed, but the question then is... what to do? You can accomplish any goal, but not EVERY goal. Someone should make a Superman game with this formula. Also, playable Ganondorf, Midna, Ruto, and Darunia? Sweet.

5. Valkyria Chronicles ; I didn't expect this one coming to PC, ever, and yet here it is, and it's awesome. The art style is still nice and the gameplay is still pretty unique. Like the crossing of the new XCOM, Fire Emblem, and Mass Effect, in a pencil shaded Strategy JRPG package. With an awesome soundtrack. The framing of the main story being in a book is a neat touch, too. And yes, you DO get all the DLC with the PC version.

6. Tomodachi Life ; Um... Yeah. I don't even think I can begin to explain this one, but here goes! You make Miis, they live in a house, it's crazy and wacky, and you can make them sing. Better than it sounds. Actually, the voice synthesizer for the Miis is rather impressive. It's kind of weird to have played a game this much and still not having a clue what it's about, other than it's pretty fun.

7. Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney ; OBJECTION! You got puzzles in my trial drama game! You got trial drama in my puzzle game! And most of all, you have pointing, lots and lots of pointing. It's an interesting mix, I'd only played the Ace Attorney side of things before, and it was nice to see the usually somewhat downtime investigation parts be spiced up with puzzles. And of course, the plot twists were just crazy. I hear that's a Layton thing. I mean, Ace Attorney gets weird, sure, but not THIS weird.

8. Final Fantasy X HD Remaster ; So that's the speed the game was supposed to run at? If you've played the PAL version of the original, you know where I'm coming from with that. It's Final Fantasy X, for good and ill, just better looking. it runs as it should and it's an overall solid game.

9. The Sims 4 ; Poor Sims 4. It was easily my most anticipated game this year, and also easily my biggest disappointment of the year as well. So, why is it here, then? Well, I will admit that Sims 4 is still a fairly solid game, especially now that EA have been releasing some substantial free updates (or released essential parts of the game piecemeal after release if you're being cynical), it just still lacks some of the features that made Sims 3 one of my favorite games ever. Like having unplayed Sims get jobs, fall in love, and procreate so you don't end up with a ghost town after a generation.

10. Ultra Street Fighter IV ; Hey look, it's Street Fighter IV! Again! And it's still pretty good. Again! The PC version of this one is decent, too, so that's pretty nice, but it really just is Street Fighter IV with some tweaks, additions, and a new coat of ink. ...can we get Street Fighter V now?

And that's that. When the year started, I thought Sims 4 and Smash Bros. for Wii U would fight it out for first place. Too bad, at least I got one of them right. I don't see this list changing much, I don't plan on getting Kingdom hearts II HD ReMix, at least not before voting is over, so... that's it for 2014. I played quite a bit of Doom this year, but that's no eligible, so it has to stay off the list. Good old Doom...

Here we go...

1. Dark Souls 2 -- My expectations for this game were abysmal after seeing downgrade-gate on the PS3/x360. But between GeDoSaTo and a pretty swell PC port, I clocked 160 hours and completed the game 100%. I have the DLC but haven't gone back to the game for it yet. Note: A recent playthrough of Dark Souls (steamwork patch) has rocketed this back to the top because of how much I love the Souls series.
2. The Evil Within -- Loved every second with it. Still compelled to keep trying my hand at finishing the game 100% (currently having a psychotic break and attempting to do the Akumu mode run with no gel upgrades).
3. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance -- I loved this on PS3. Never got around to the DLC tho... and then came the PC release this year... I proceeded to 100% the game again, including DLC and spent a glorious 75+ hours with it. It's still installed too, because it's one of the best character action games I have EVER played.
4. Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z -- Fuck the haters, this game, like a lot of stuff worked on by Comcept, is a great time. Another game I put a ton of hours into (50+) and got 100% completed. The core game is just so well done if you don't go in blindly thinking it's a typical Ninja Gaiden game in the spirit of the ones released in the last decade or so. This game is essentially a musou with a character action combat system... something I've always felt would make a musou type game more enjoyable to me. Add in the unbridled awesomeness of Yaiba as a character and I am probably one of the game's biggest supporters on GAF. Ninja Gaiden Z mode is absolutely awesome as well.
5. Killer is Dead: Nightmare Edition -- I normally dislike Suda51 games... they tend to be style over substance and revolve around some strange plots and mechanics that don't normally gel for me (the only game associated with Suda51 in any way that I'd played and liked previously was Sine Mora... and I don't really think he had much to do with that one). So when Killer is Dead showed up looking like a decent character action game and could be run at 60fps, I took a leap of faith. For a character action game, the combo depth is lacking, but the actual dodging/combo building mechanic combined with the outright ridiculous style was a winner in my book.
6. Shovel Knight -- AMAZING. FANTASTIC. Full of charm and classic designs that have been modernized just enough to be fresh and fun.
7. Crypt of the Necrodancer -- Amazeballs. Love the music. Love the concept. Dev is doing a great job of updating regularly through EA... can't wait for that final zone to show up.
8. The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth -- Quality title. Wonderful rogue-like combined with run & gun gameplay (I kind of wish attacking worked in 8 directions like a twin stick setup). Beaten (at least in terms of a complete run) on both PC and Vita.
9. Murdered: Soul Suspect -- Excellent occult adventure game. Loved the third person movement and the whole "investigation" aspect. Collecting lore was good too, in particular the ghost stories you could piece together and then listen to. It has a bunch of flaws (sometimes the answer might be super obvoius, sometimes you could argue certain clues also fit the questions, sometimes certain clues won't pop up until certain triggers are met and then it's kinda obscure to find them afterwards... but overall I had a good time with the game and really liked the story, especially the ending.
10. Never Alone -- Solid platforming title with a really cool story based on the Eskimo culture and history. I really enjoyed listening to the vignettes about the Eskimo people and the way they view the world and survive as a culture.

Megatron

1. The Last of Us: Remastered ; I skipped this on PS3 so I got the remaster to see what all the fuss is about. It started a bit slow for my liking but once it got rolling, my goodness. I'm a sucker for a good story based, third person action game anyway but the story telling in this game really clicked with me. Loved it. One of the most memorable games I’ve played in a long time.

2. Infamous: Second Son ; Again, story based, third person action games are my thing so this was another one that just clicked for me.

7. Infamous: First Light ; It took me a while to get into this one but the back half really got me. I enjoyed Fetch’s backstory plus that final sequence
outside of the prison
was really well done.

You really need to find a way to play sunset overdrive man, I can tell it will be totally your thing.

Still need to fix up a bit

1. Far Cry 4 ; Simply the most fun I have had this year. An upgrade from 3 in every way and one of the best open worlds I've ever been in. Excellent shooting mechanics, fun stealth, and an amazing sense of freedom with combat. It has problems but this game is a blast.

2. Dark Souls II ; Not as good as 1 but still better then most releases this year. Excited to revisit it in April with the remaster...

3. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

4. Titanfall

5. Sunset Overdrive

6. Alien Isolation

7. Wolfenstein: The New Order

8. Shovel Knight

1. Destiny ; not sure why the hate for this game is so strong. it was never about story, it was about playing with people.
2. The Last of Us Remastered ; amazing game. if something could win two years in a row this is it.
3. Diablo 3: Reaper Of Souls ; quite the turn around from the disappointing Diablo3 launch on PC.
4. Grand Theft Auto 5 ; I had the 360 version but never made it past the first few missions so I'll be counting it this year
5. Plants VS Zombies: Garden Warfare ; a great shooter that forgoes the standard pricing model.
6. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare ; the EXOs are a much needed addition to the old stale gameplay.
7. Transistor ; amazing art and music. indies will be a huge part of consoles going forward and this was a good way to kick that off.
8. Dark Souls 2 ; not as good as DS1 it still has the mood and gameplay that made souls games what they are.
9. Final Fantasy X/X-2 Remaster ; i consider this the last great traditional FF JRPG. nice to have an HD version
10. Driveclub ; I'm more of a simulation guy but this game fills that role fine. the game also looks amazing, could be the best looking game on console.

curb

Banned
You really need to find a way to play sunset overdrive man, I can tell it will be totally your thing.

I've thought about that but I really didn't enjoy Insomniac's Ratchet and Clank games and I get a total R&C vibe from the traversal in SO. I guess I need to find a friend make friends with someone who has an XB1 so I can try it out. I barely know anyone who has a current gen system and another full priced console isn't in my budget for now.

Corto

Messofanego, great list, great descriptions, great gifs. And also many of your games will certainly appear on my own. hehe

Prismo

Neo Member
1. Dragon Age: Inquisition; I was so hyped for this game that I actually played through Dragon Age 2 again before I found out that the keep doesn't import saves. It's by no means perfect but it has lived up to the hype and has single handedly restored my faith in Bioware, which was no small task.
2. Transistor; First in a line of beautiful indies that blew me away this year. Favourite soundtrack of the year hands down.
3. Infamous: Second Son; Beautiful and smooth as butter, not something you see very often in a 'launch' game, but this mainly gets a nod from me on the strength of the Neon power alone.
4. Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition; The only reason I gave this game the time of day is because I wanted something to play on my shiny new PS4, I am glad I did, it is a fantastic if at times ridiculous ride.
5. Never Alone; Not a particularly great game mechanics wise but a stunning work of art none the same.
6. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor;
7. The Banner Saga;
8. Child of Light;
9. Divinity: Original Sin;
10. Valkyria Chronicles;

Honourable Mentions
x. Wasteland 2;
x. The Last of Us: Remastered;

Vire

Love your list messofanego, really highlights some of the great forgotten or smaller titles released this year. :)

Megatron

I've thought about that but I really didn't enjoy Insomniac's Ratchet and Clank games and I get a total R&C vibe from the traversal in SO. I guess I need to find a friend make friends with someone who has an XB1 so I can try it out. I barely know anyone who has a current gen system and another full priced console isn't in my budget for now.

No, the traversal is more like infamous meets jet grind radio. It's super fun just traveling around the map.

Jisgsaw

1. Dragon Age: Inquisition ; I went in more or less blind, not knowing what to expect. My Origins run was pretty long ago, and I skipped DA2, so I didn't really remember how good DA's world is build. There's ton of stuff to do, even interesting things, in the varied and huge regions of the game, so I had a great time for my 100 hour run.
On the down side, the tactical camera is shit (a shame when they could just take over the excelent camera of Origins), and the bad vilain is just a plain uninteresting bad vilain despite its great background; they could have done better.

2. Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky ; I simply love Gusts alchemy game. I wasn't really bothered by the time management of the previous games, but I have no complains wiht the more atteignable time goals of the game. I really appreciated having notifications for every event; Arland trilogy was quite a bitch in that department.
What sold me though were the nice (even if not groundbreaking) story and characters, and the battle system was good too. Having the bomb and potion replenished everytime was great.

3. South Park: the Stick of Truth ; I'm a huge South Park fan. The episode trilogy in the show to promote the game hyped me, and the game didn't disappoint. There are references and inside jokes everywhere, the combat system was fun, and the game looked gorgeous. The couple censured scenes in the european version weren't so nice, but oh well.

4. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc ; Again went in blind in the game, and was instantly swayed. Atmosphere, story, characters (despite their cliché-ness), soundtrack, trials, everything was great.

5. Valkyria Chronicles ; Somehow ended up skipping it on PS3 (mainly for the fact I don't like tactical RPGs). Good thing it came on PC for me to make up for it. The game looks gorgeous, and the combats were great (even if some battles were on the cheap side, basically forcing you to loose once).

6. Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII ; Great combat system, nice world, nice time mangement system. Definitively my favoite out of the trilogy, despite the weak story.

7. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair ; Same as Danganronpa. Had a little less inpact on me, cause I already knew what to expect; the story also only really takes up towards the end...

8. Shadow of Mordor ; The Nemesis System is great, and should come to more games. The rest of the game was meh though.

9. Final Fantasy X HD Remaster ; loved the game back on PS2, and being able to play it on Vita's wonderfull screen on the go was great; maybe I'll be able to beat Der Richter (without Yojimbo) this time around...

Honorable mention:

x. Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth ; can't really rank it as I'm only a few hours in, but so far it's very good. Might be biased though, as I'm a huge SMT and Persona fan.

1. Alien: Isolation; best first person perspective game I've played in years. Totally immersive. Perfect length for fans of the Alien franchise.
2. The Banner Saga; Beautiful to behold, heart-wrenching to experience, and interesting to play. A real achievement.
3. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor; The best 'this game looked terrible but ended up being fantastic' title of 2014, or rather, of recent memory. The Nemesis system is a big step forward in story-telling/story-creation.
4. Dragon Age: Inquisition; A great BioWare RPG. If only they'd do this to Star Wars next.
5. Wargame: Red Dragon; Flawed, but brilliant. 20 steps forward, 5 back, from
6. The Long Dark; Really interesting first person survival game. Beautiful to behold.
7. Divinity: Original Sin; The best indie RPG of the year for me. Classic and new.
8. Xenonauts; Anyone who wanted a more stylish, take on the OG X-Com game now has it.
9. This War of Mine; A unique survival game that deals with the impacts of a terrible war on civilians. Moving and brutal and hopefully something that sparks more studios into making these kinds of games.
10. Wolfenstein: The New Order; Yup.

Honorable Mentions
x. Wasteland 2; It came out, which is great, but I was disappointed with the final product. InXile seems to have gone for content over quality.
x. PayDay 2 (dlc); My favourite MMOFPS this year. Displaced Planetside 2.

1. Destiny; I am not a fan of the modern first person shooter. I was there when the genre gained popularity with games like Doom, Wolfenstein 3D and Duke Nukem and I have played and loved all of the classics like Quake, Exhumed, Unreal , Medal of Honor etc. My favorites of all time are Goldeneye and Turok. I remember those two games fondly, because they had those magical guns that felt wonderful, and shooting those guns felt very empowering. In essence that is what a shooter is all about, the gunplay. Those games are timeless. Even after all this time, the gameplay is still enjoyable, 4 man Goldeneye is still fun to play and I have yet to feel the same level of awe when I first encountered the endboss like the one in Turok Dinosaur Hunter where you get to use all your acquired guns to kill him. I played tons of fps back then and how can it go wrong? During those days gunplay was what a first person shooter was designed around and they had not much else to worry about. It was primitive; a gun, ammo, a grenade, maybe some special move, but did it hit the spot.

Then as I grew older I became bored of it. I felt it became stale; the genre didn't show any evolution in gunplay and shifted into a more story driven and cinematic experience, ushered in by Halflife. Progression or expansion in gunplay has been pushed aside for a 'wider experience'; the core shooting stayed either dormant or has been sacrificed for 'higher goals' in storytelling exhibited in modern games like Bioshock. While there were some highlights like Timesplitters and interesting offbeats like Metroid Prime and Portal, Halflife was sadly the last shooter I enjoyed for its shooting, and that is mostly by virtue of its MOD Counter-Strike. With every iteration of the new consoles and the more powerful PC, I kept thinking and hoping something would come along that would break my disinterest.

I always felt the shooter genre could grow into more than just a (storydriven) campaign and a multiplayer component. When Borderlands was announced I was mildly interested, but I was later put off by the aesthetics and gameplay. Left 4 dead somehow left me uninterested. When Destiny was announced I was drawn in by the MMO aspects and cooperative play. Both aspects are proven to be very synergic: cooperative play and the 'social aspect' can contribute to better performance in obtaining grinding achievements, make it less of a 'burden' and MMO influenced game design like dungeons and raids can set up wildly entertaining cooperative gunplay. Plus loot systems are there to keep you interested. Why is it that the first person shooter genre has so little to offer in terms of weapon loot; while weapon loot in games like Diablo and WoW is mostly about stat progression, weapon collecting in a first person shooter can offer depth in gameplay variety; guns and their traits like fire rate, recoil, range, spread, hit detection, even sound are intrinsic in how a first person shooter 'plays'. To me a modern first person shooter game should have two aspects I loved about Goldeneye and Turok: Gameplay and Guns plus one aspect that really should be less distinguished in this age of 'connectivity': Cooperative Multiplayer.

So what is Destiny? Destiny is the purest most concise executed cooperative multiplayer first person shooter game ever made. There are a few flaws, many flaws actually: primarily, the game lacks content in multiple ways (Activision DLC and Crucible), it's not without glitches and there were server issues. In the end though it's the first game that really shows the potential of where the shooter genre can go. The story is poorly conceived, but I am a realist and I don't want Bungie to invest in voice actors, high costing cut scenes or some 'unequivocal story' that seems to be the status quo. Based on their portfolio and range I don't even think they can offer something memorable in writing even if they wanted to.

There is enough to do and improve in Destiny. I want them to expand on their foundation and surprise with new content, fix emerging glitches and server drops, even if 3.5 million players are active at that moment. I want them to expand on their lore and offer Mercury, maybe Saturn and Jupiter to explore. I want a handgun only playlist, where a Last Word, Hawkmoon, Thorn, or even Sir Isaac can determine who is king. This might be just a fun peg in Killzone or Halo, but it makes more sense in Destiny. With new DLC and weapons coming out, 'choices' like this make it encouraging to play more Destiny. Weapon collecting, weapon upgrading, skill tree unlocking AND pvp have symbiosis. I want an even playground without the supers, where aiming, foresight and fast reflects are what determines your k/d ratio. I want more Iron banner. I want level 28, 30 and 32 strikelists with matchmaking. I want bigger and harder public events, with worthwhile rewards. I want 'ínfamous' mobs in patrol that can be only taken down with a highly coordinated team. I want pvp areas within patrol. The UI is visually awesome, but there should be better functionality: I want the ability to split materials, I want to see my rankings without the need to go to the tower, I want to use ammo synthesis without pausing. I want exotic gear with elemental properties, which makes every of helm or chest desirable beyond the perk. The music is good, but it's not their best. The Vex are great and I think the Hive raid was a notch down from it. Make that next DLC count. Really, I can go on and on and on. I am not saying they should keep doing what they doing in the story department, I am saying they should stop that practise altogether and focus on doing what they are good at. There is less of an outcry, if you quit trying to please everyone.

Last year I got my multiplayer fix mostly from Dota 2, I named it the best multiplayer experience I ever had and it became my goty for 2013. Destiny has pushed away Dota for the moment. I am not going to elaborate how tight the gameplay and controls are or how seamless the camera switches from first to third person; these things we can expect from Bungie. To me, Destiny is most of all a great marriage of competitive shooting and basic MMO influences. These MMO aspects are the perfect staging for Destiny. It's a platform where you can level your character, collect unique weapons, upgrade and tweak them and roam interesting worlds, either alone or within a fireteam. I would dare say that Vault of Glass is probably the most fun raid I have ever played in a MMO or MMO influenced game. Destiny has cooperative teamwork, where communication is key and while it is 'just' a shooter, speaking about strategy and how to tackle a nightfall or raid beforehand is crucial for success. Destiny is a game where in certain situations thinking and tactics could outperform fast reflections. I see a lot of people doing great in Crucible, because they are skilled in fps gunplay, but fail miserably in raids because they think they can outgun the odds mindlessly. That to me is a facet of amazing design in any game; breaking the mold of how a game or certain genre should or can be played.

Destiny is the first of its kind that does what it does so very well. I wanted a game that goes beyond the conventions of a first person shooter, I am also swain to subscription based RPG gaming. Destiny is not entirely an MMO, it's also not a loot game perse or a single player first person shooter. It's a hybrid, and for me it all comes together. There is grinding, but you can't grind to level 30 or 32, just to keep the bragging rights a right. There is RNG, but there is also Xur for those unlucky people. There are a vast plethora of guns and gun classes, while some less or more, all of them are desirable. Based on the fact that the game has no subscription fee, the balance had to be there on the get go. Yea off course, there is a ton of room for improvements, but how can that not be the case? I am surprised that they managed to achieve a sense of balance for a great part. There are many more elements in Destiny then in Turok, but the execution of each and every element is primitive and sound.

I love the gunplay in Destiny. It is in my eyes the benchmark in the genre. Shooting the trigger every time, you feel the attention to detail. Unloading the Shadow Price with the ranged lens RLS3 and armor piercing rounds you can feel every 25 bullet in its magazine pulsating through your hands. On screen the enemies twitch with the same harmonious interruption: they stagger and the bullets shreds their twitching bodies, until their heads explode. Sometimes they keep coming, two swords in hand and they keep moving towards you with speed. Only by their heads jolting, you know the bullets are hitting on impact. I was lucky to get the Last word as my first exotic gun, but with every new exotic or even legendary gun I just can't help myself; I immediately need to test it out in a patrol mission. Sometimes some guns perform better or worse then exepcted, instead of making huge alterations to 'balance' it out, Bungie always keep balance patches modest, because they wanted to retain how the gun was designed. It says a lot about the designers and builders at Bungie and their love for guns and shooting.

The AI is magnificent. I love how they scurry away after you first shot from high ground. They don't always go in the same direction, sometimes they go opposite, just to find a place to hide behind: a rock, some debris or a hill slope. As the sniper you have to take them down fast, they won't come out until you come out. I love how the Cabal uses their shield to protect themselves, even if you team up to take them down. Keep the heat on or they will turn accordingly in a 360 degrees battelfield, with high and low ground. The only complaint I have is that aggressive melee mobs like the Thralls are tethered in a room. The sounds is I think one of the greater achievements of Destiny. Every grenade and exotic gun has its own sound. The arcbolt grenade rotates and the sound it produces is just how you'd imagine it would sound. Every sound I hear doesn't feel 'off' from a dying shank to an opened helium filament stash. You know just by sound what's happening: a dropship incoming, a grenade thrown, murmurings when you've been detected. There is a lot to appreciate and you really want to crank up the volume.

In addition to the gunplay, sound design and cooperative merit, Destiny has surprisingly a surplus of emotions. For starters it is about the awe when dawn hits and the first sunrays lit the Cosmodrome. Destiny is strikingly beautiful. Other games like Second Son, Shadowfall or Ryse might push more geometry and are seemingly more advanced games in terms of tech, but the art never clicked with me as it did with Destiny. Bungie has matured, not only in tech, but they have grown in art as well. There is still a tad of that 'sterile feel and look' that envelops their latest game, but it's not overwhelming and goes well with the epic sci-fi atmosphere. I would now rank them in terms of visuals right up there with my favorites Valve and Naughty Dog. A bit unfair perhaps as those two haven't got their games out yet and they should blow away Destiny, Destiny thus far remains the game to beat. Destiny has emotions and it's the simple things. It's that twitching feeling in your belly when you jump off a cliff. It's the comic relief when someone misses a jump in the Vault of Glass, an otherwise tense area for traversing when doing it for the first time. It's the smirk when you unload an upgraded Thunderlord or hear the Hawkmoons exquisite sound for the first time. It's the fist in the air when beating the boss and getting that cool reward. And if you don't get it, get it the next week, because when you are having fun, you're not in a hurry.

I want to tell you about the brilliance of the leveling system, the progress and most of all the balance. Balance when you first start doing the hard stuff, you are going to need the gear and weapons you have acquired, preferably fully upgraded with a diverse mixture of flavors. Raids and strikes are balanced in terms of challenge for a specific level. That level is directly linked to your chances of beating the mission and if you want to try and beat a mission two levels above you, while it comes with a warning, it is still possible. Destiny has incredible depth for a first person shooter: have you ever tried tweaking your subclass built to a weapon that is tweaked a certain way to maximize your potential in combat? Tweaking subclass and weapon can lead to synergy fitting your play style either in pve or pvp or even adapted to a certain encounter in a Nightfall or Raid. In Destiny it is possible and it makes sense. Additionally, there are synergies between different weapons or/and skills. A Hawkmoon for example when tweaked is an effective weapon for midrange combat. So you might want to pair it with a shotgun for those charging you in pvp, or if you don't want to use a shotgun, tweak your subclass to have your melee ability up as fast as possible. Destiny for being a 'wannabee' MMO destroys 90% of MMO and RPG games out there in this regard. There is balance in gear, skill and effort and after beating the odds with your accumulated gear and experience, it's that satisfaction that is the reward. As it should be in these kinds of games. This is not possible without some grinding and RNG, you have to intensify your efforts it if you want to try out more of what the game offers; this is no instant gratification type of game, but it is a flake compared to the grinding in World of Warcraft, Final Fantasy 14 or Eve Online. Bungie in my opinion has balanced this perfectly.

I want to see where they are heading with the franchise in the next ten years. In my opinion they have nailed the core mechanics. Gameplay? Destiny is one of the best. The gunplay is exciting, yet elemental, where every bullet counts, killed or get killed. It's pure, but varied and deep. Guns? Destiny is one of the best. There can be gunslinger wild west esque shootouts, or silent (or not so silent) sniper takedowns. You can be the fusion rifle Lord, or fly off the handle with a machine gun, you name it. Throw up the Ward of Dawn in the middle of the room, whoop out your Comedian and stare them down. In what other fps game can you play a psychological game and scare people to ultimately just walk away. That is almost as fun as people walking in. Go full ninja mode while blinking and ducking while the radar stays active with the right gun perks. Want to throw grenades? The Warlock knows how to throw them, incorporate grenade perks for extra heat. The only thing I miss is the ability to go double Berretta/revolver with a Last Word in one hand and a Hawkmoon in the other. There would be only a balance issue if you design it that way. There is crowd control, you can play it safe by using cover and stay out of their line of sight, enemy AI might use that against you as well if you play it too safe. You can outgun them in the open; your tools to dominate are powerful, with high agility you can even strafe and dodgejump oldschool style. The tempo is just right; there is weight, even more so if you put weight on your gun or your subclass and go for power or defense. You can be swift and agile if you feel playing that way. I feel I will have a hard time playing any other first person shooter post Destiny. Cooperative multiplayer? Surely Destiny has the best cooperative multiplayer ever made in the shooter genre. You know the multiplayer is good when every time you play alone and start thinking of ways to progress, you ask yourself if only I had my buddy here to flank, snipe or charge them. The only flaw I have with Destiny coop is that there is just too little of it.

So is Destiny just some nostalgic hint, an 'effect' from a schism by an 'oldschool gamer' or something more? Thinking outside the box while maintaining their trademark qualities, Bungie have made a strong foundation. I believe it is a great starting point for future iterations of the franchise to be built on. Destiny has proven that the fps approach can be enticing and effective for multiplayer, beyond the dead match. It has sold really well thus far and is easily the first first person shooter into this generation with an enduring multiplayer community. I am very positive about the future of Destiny. Yes there are a lot of naysayers, it's normal. I have said nay against the fps genre for more than 15 years and the fact that these naysayers are extremely passionate about Destiny more I have been for ages for the genre. You can guess and argue why that is but in the end remember this: there is a game, also in the Activision stable that is every bit divisive, revolutionary and long-lasting, especially in its first year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom