• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2014 - Voting Thread [voting closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

USC-fan

Banned
1. Grand Theft Auto V ; One of the best games of all time.

2. South Park: The Stick of Truth ; Im sure south park will get overlooked in the media awards but it was a great game. But putting it against GTA v it just not as good. Doesnt have the replay value to be my number 1.

3. Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition ; first time ever playing a Diablo game and it was awesome.

4. Fez ;Got this game from PS+. really was caught off guard by how great this game is. Best downloadable game for me!

5. P.T. ;PT is just the most AWESOME "demo" ever. This should be an award since video game are "interactive" but most of the time we just get videos to show off new games. It just funny watching this being announce and then watching people on twitch freak out the same way that people joked about.

6. The Last of Us: Remastered ; Best linear game ever released IMO. Really not much new to someone that already played it on PS3.

7. Infamous: Second Son ; Best "new" next-gen game i play all year. I still like to pick up farcry and dragon age. I would bet they would take this place.

8. Dragon Age: Inquisition ; most looking forward to picking up game. Still havent had to chance to pick this one up but have watched it on twitch a lot. Sure it will move up my list once i start playing.

9. Farcry 4 ; Like DA i am looking to forward to picking this game up. Should be updating this post after christmas!

The year of the remasters for me. The best "new" game I played was on PS3.

TheFatMan

1. Dragon Age: Inquisition ; By far the most fun I had with a game this year. Even after crossing the 70 hour mark I still wanted more.
2. Divinity: Original Sin ; A great game that reminded me why I loved the old CRPGs of old. No hand holding and a great amount of content.
3. Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor ; The Nemesis system alone in this game should put it on most peoples lists this year.
4. Infamous: Second Son ; The best Infamous game yet, with absolutely great graphics and a fun combat system, running around Seattle never got old.
5. Destiny ; While the Story mode in this game left a bad taste in my mouth, the Crucible multiplayer and random dungeons with friends were good fun for much longer than my normal FPS game needs.
6. Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth ; Everything we loved about Civilization 5 with some great new features and a much needed Tech Tree overhaul. Bring on the DLC!
7. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare ; Another great CoD game with a fantastic campaign that gives you that sense of danger and excitement.
8. Transistor ; A beautiful game that proves you don't need a AAA budget to make something breathtaking.
9. Tales of Xillia 2 ; A fun combat system and a good cast of characters (both the new and old ones) lets this sequel slide into the lower portions of my list.
10. Hearthstone ; Probably the only TCG I have ever enjoyed playing. And I spent well over 100 hours with it before I had to back away very slowly...

Honorable Mentions

x. The Crew ; The most fun I had with a racing game this year. Repetitive content and a terrible story keeps it off my list.
x. Titanfall ; A fun FPS game with some Mech Warrior moments thrown in for good fun. I felt it was inferior to Destiny and CoD in the multiplayer department however.

1.Wolfenstein: The New Order; I stand by my assertion that there has never been a bad Wolfenstein game. Always bet on Blaskovicvzvx.
2.Banished; Like spinning plates. I play it at 1x speed on a tiny mountainous map.
3.80 Days; I like to pet Fogg.
4.The Evil Within; I finally got my Resident Evil 5.
5.Nidhogg; I was sold when the winner got eaten by the worm.
6.Mario Golf: World Tour; hahaha I'm going to break something.
7.South Park: The Stick Of Truth; I didn't know Obsidian had a game this focused in them.
8.Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare; WHERE MY DEDICATED SERVERS AT?
9.Geometry Wars 3; What I actually want is Geometry Wars 2 pc, but this is ok.
10.Plants Vs Zombies: Garden Warfare; I couldn't believe how uncynical this game was.

Honorable Mentions

X.Resident Evil 4 Ultimate HD Edition; Capcom makes up for botching the first RE4 pc port by making the pc version the best one.
X.Titanfall I got it after all of the dlc came out and it still seemed content light, sweet smart pistol though.

seady

All these Bayonetta 2 mentions.... Keep at it brothers, you know what's good.

bayonetta-2-09-02-14-1.jpg

Not looking good as I see many more Dragon Age votes.

This is just going to be PS4 games because that's what I have been gaming on.

1. Alien: Isolation ; It was hard for me to come up with an order for my top three, but in the end I just have to go with Alien. It just does what it does so well. I don't remember when a game has had such an effect on me. Also it is a great love letter to a great movie of the likes you just don't get today.

2. The Last of Us: Remastered ; This was my first time with TLoU and it was good. Probably one of the few story-based games from this year I will probably revisit to experience the story again.

3. Lords of the Fallen ; This was my first time with a 'Souls type game and it really clicked! I like the old school way of having to figure out instead of following an arrow or a map pointer. Finding secrets actually feels rewarding (something I wish TR would have done instead of "yo, secret tomb around" graffitis and sound ques). Lords put Bloodbourne into my radar and has me hoping for DS remaster for PS4.

4. Destiny ; Oh my oh my. Destiny. I had great fun with the game, but in the end I found myself grinding [insert your timesink of choice] and playing most of my free time even I did not have any fun doing so. I try to monitor my behaviour when it comes to game addiction and when I see I am playing because it's not fun, but because I "have to", it's time to stop. I had great time for Destiny though. Too bad it's gone into full "preying to the addicted type" -mode.

5. Dragon Age: Inquisition ; Waited for so long for a PS4 rpg and DA:I delivered. It has some problems and if there would have been more rpg options it might stand lower, but as of now it is the king of PS4 big rpg's and I am an rpg guy.

6. Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition ; I really had fun playing as Lara after a long time (TR1 on PC I think). I liked the story and the character growth (even though it went a bit nuts with the shooting at times). For some reason the location and the story really clicked and I was clued to the game untill I got to see the credits roll. I hope the rumours are true and we will get the sequel on PS4 too at some point.

7. Transistor ; An interesting story told with an interesting style and fun fighting. Having the voice of the sword coming from the controller was genious and added a surprising amount of immersion.

8. Child of Light ; An interesting story told with an interesting style and fun fighting. (yeah, I did this!) I experienced the story as playing Ignatius for my wife, so I did not get the full experience of the battle system. Might be higher up if we had done it the other way around.

9. Infamous: Second son ; An interesting...err...It has fun action gameplay and it looks and sounds (actors and music) great. Story did not use it's full potential but I did have my fun.

Honorable mentions

x Rocksmith 2014 ; Not an actual game, not for everyone but for someone who plays guitar or bass or wants to learn to, this is what they call a killer app.

I think that's all the games I want to give points to. I am sure if I had played Wolfenstein, Metro, Far Cry 4 and/or GTA the list might look a bit different. Surprisingly Shadow of Mordor left me cold and I ended up trading it in.

I feel like I got a little carried away typing this up.

1. Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth ; The perfect way to handle a crossover. Persona Q takes elements of Persona and Etrian Odyssey, putting them together to create a fantastic dungeon crawler. Where they could have simply made a reskinned Etrian Odyssey game, Atlus have gone a step further in creating something truly unique. Whilst the foundation of the game, traversing vast labyrinths populated with powerful encounters and FOEs and mapping the journey along the way, is very much Etrian Odyssey, other elements have been changed around in order to make something that feels familiar to anyone coming from the Persona side.
Dungeons are the main focus of Persona Q. Whilst they start off basic, they quickly get more and more complex as the game progresses, mixing in different types of puzzles along the way. One dungeon heavily features logic puzzles, whilst another is based around traversal puzzles. This keeps the game feeling fresh, with every dungeon having its own theme to it, both visually and mechanically. FOEs, powerful enemies that roam the dungeons, tie into the dungeon puzzles nicely as well, much more heavily than in Etrian games. Every FOE has a unique mechanic to it and is nicely integrated into the dungeons themes and puzzles. The dungeons are incredibly well designed visually as well, with the designs feeling like the perfect fit for a Persona game, and very different from the more laid back design of Etrian dungeons. The third dungeon in particular stands out when it comes to using the FOEs and puzzles in a way that ties in to the dungeons theme, making the visuals more than just a skin. Every dungeon does this well, but the third stood out to me as the best example.
The combat system too borrows from both Etrian and SMT games. It takes the core Etrian combat system, but adds a new Boost system on top of it, which rewards exploiting weaknesses with free SP/HP actions, and potentially bonus attacks. Exploiting the boost system is key, especially for magic users, due to the high skill costs, and it adds an extra level of depth on top of the standard Etrian combat system. Unfortunately, the high skill costs have the downside of making physical attacks far more useful than magic. Not every boss has a weakness and magic runs out quickly, making it next to useless for some fights. Physical is generally much better at dealing damage as well. Adding to the balancing issues, instakill spells are incredibly overpowered, with almost every enemy in the game being vulnerable to at least one of the two spell types. This can be overcome by avoiding overusing them, and without them, the game felt very well balanced, with the difficulty curve feeling like a decent increase as the game progressed. Despite these issues, Persona Q feels like the best balanced SMT game released in quite a while. Q also has a vast number of skills, with some interesting combos to discover from playing around with them, making it a good game for experimentation. Playing on hard and not going out of my way to break the game I felt like it presented a reasonable enough challenge, although not overly hard.
The Sub Personas system was great, and is a system that mainline Persona games desperately need to borrow. Offering an equipable Persona that grant characters new skills, it provides a great extra level of customisation to the game.
Writing isn't quite up to the standard of the main games. Some characters are fine, but a few are heavily flanderised to the point of being barely recognisable. Akihiko in particular suffers badly from this, and the new characters are fairly one-note for most of the game. The writing is mostly pretty good however, and there are times when it really shines.
The plot itself is fairly minimalistic. It’s almost completely absent up until the end game. What plot there is is good, and surprisingly dark considering the tone of the rest of the game. There’s just not much focus on it.
Persona Q overall is a fantastic game, and a perfect crossover of both Personas 3 and 4, and Persona and Etrian Odyssey. A few balancing issues and occasionally poor characterisation do not take away what a great RPG this is. Whilst there were a lot of fantastic titles this year, and I feel like any one in my top four is good enough to be considered game of the year, I think Q just about stands out above all of them as the best game I played this year.

2. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky ; I question the eligibility of this game, but it was in the spreadsheet, and I feel like it deserves recognition anyway. I picked up Trails after reading a lot of positive comments about it, not really knowing what to expect, it started out as a fairly cliche'd JRPG, but I was quickly hooked by just how well done everything about it is. The cast in incredibly well written and fleshed out and the world feels believable and alive, there is so much optional dialogue that fleshes out the various locations. NPC dialogue changes frequently, and many have their own mini arcs that I had to go out of my way to discover.
Trails follows two protagonists, Estelle and Joshua as they travel about the world solving problems. There is a sizable supporting cast, but the two leads are the primary focus of the story. What makes Trails really special is how well those two are developed. The game is full of small moments that make them feel like believable people. Whilst less of a focus, none of the other party members, who come and go throughout the game, are neglected either, leading to a well-rounded and developed cast.
As a result of this however, the plot is slow paced and takes a while to pick up. I feel like this absolutely works in the games favour, and whilst it does take a while to pick up it eventually turns into a fantastic coming of age and political tale, the cliffhanger ending certainly left me highly anticipating the sequel.
I didn't think that the combat was the greatest ever, but it was still pretty enjoyable, although I did have to swap out the combat theme for a different arrangement. It wasn't overly challenging and some fights towards the end did drag a bit, but it didn't hurt the game in any way.
Trails was easily one of the best JRPGs I've played, and a really fantastic title, and I'm highly looking forward to playing the sequel next year.

3. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair ; The short awaited sequel to the first fantastic game, this time DR takes place on a tropical island rather than a closed off school, leading to more varied and interesting environments, and losing the trapped, claustrophobic feel of the first title. I felt like this was a refreshing change, considering that escape games normally go for something bleaker and more oppressive, it was nice to see one try something different. It may appear lighter at first, but much like the first game, DR2 quickly contrasts this lighthearted style with a much bleaker premise and story. I feel as if this contrast really gives the game a lot of charecter, and it pulls it off really well.
Danganronpa 2's cast felt like quite a step up from the first game. There were more interesting characters and they felt more fleshed out. I didn't like the entire cast, but there were still plenty of strong characters present. Voicie acting felt like a step up from the first game too.
Trails were fairly inconsistent, with some weaker than others. Case 5 however, stands out as easily the best in the genre. Case 3 on the other hand, is incredibly weak and in some regards feels unsatisfying and cheap. Mini Games aren't great and mostly feel like pointless filler, but they're not obtrusive enough to hurt the game too much.
The overall narrative is pretty interesting with some decent twists and worldbuilding.
Danganronpa 2 was really fantastic overall, despite the few issues, and felt like an improvement over the first title, as well as one of the best game I played this year. (Since I played the fan translation last year, I'm not ranking the first game).

4. Ace Attorney Investigations 2 ; This was a really great year for long awaited translations, and AAI2 was easily one of the best of them, AAI2 is such a massive step up from the first investigations game, and is overall one of the strongest games in the franchise.
Of the 5 cases, none of them felt especially weak. 2 and 3 feel slightly bloated, but it wasn't a major issue, they were both decent, 3 in particular has a unique gimmick that kept it interesting.
Where AAI2 really shines is both in the characters and in the overarching story. Unlike other games, in AAI2 everything is important and ties together. There isn't really any filler at all, with the smallest details linking together, and the final two chapters tying everything together. It all fits so nicely into place and resolves everything nicely whilst also being a fantastic case in its own right. The variety and creativity of events in that one case is impressive, and it never feels disjoined.
AAI2 has a fantastic cast of new characters. The new rivals get a decent amount of development to the point of becoming some of the most interesting AA characters. Debeste in particular in a very unique twist on the genius prosecutor and has a really great character arc. The final culprit is one of the series’ strongest and also has a great design. Even Kay, who felt pointless for a while gets some good moments during chapter 4.
The soundtrack, something that AA always delivers on, is especially strong here, with the cornered theme being a stand out, and used well in game.
AAI2 is easily one of the best games in the franchise. The translation is almost spot on,with only a few minor errors. I almost don’t want Capcom to translate it now, because of how attached I am to the localised name. It was tough only placing this game at fourth.

5. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call ; As a sequel to Theatrhythm, Curtain Call is everything that I could have asked for and more. Building onto of an already solid rhythm game, Curtain Call more than doubles the total number of tracks leading to a game with an absurd amount of content. The addition of button controls is most welcome, after spending a few songs adjusting to it, it is now my preferred way to play. In addition, some of my minor complaints with the first titles were fixed, it is now possible to achieve the highest score without removing equipment and the hardest difficulties are unlocked from the start. Dark Notes have also been replaced with the far superior quest mode, which allows high scores to be carries over and provides an enjoyable and rewarding way to play through the many songs on offer. One of my few complaints is that on higher level notes, spinning notes can randomly appear and are almost guaranteed to mess up a run. Whilst it adds challenge, in a mode where you can still aim for the top score, it can be frustrating to have a run messed up that way.
Another minor issue is the presence of EMS stages. They overall feel less responsive than the other types of stage, with less interesting beatmaps, and yet some of the best tracks in the game are locked away behind them. Fortunately there are far fewer than in the first Theatrhythm, but they are still a weak link in the game.
Curtain Call is the definitive Theatrhythm. With an absurd amount of content, I feel like it will last me for a long time. Now I just need Square to bring over that Bravely Default DLC.

6. Child of Light ; There have been some really great games to come out of the Ubiart engine, but Child of Light is the one that really stands out to me. The game is just full of charm. It looks fantastic and has great music. The landscapes are fantastically well designed, and just flying through them in enjoyable in itself.
Child of Light's combat pretty decent. The combat has enough depth and challenge to be interesting, with plenty of character variety to allow for a mix up of tactics and not prevent it from becoming too repetitive. Boss design in the later parts do let the game down slightly, game down slightly after a certain point they started to get repetitive, since they all follow the same formula, although the game ended before this could become a real issue, so it wasn't too annoying.
The story was fairly standard and the rhyming gimmick didn't always work, but it was still enjoyable and tied in well to the style of the game.
Despite a few very minor issues, I really enjoyed Child of Light, and I'd love to see Ubisoft try more things like this in the future.

7. The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth ; An update to the original Binding of Issac, changing the visuals to a sprite based style, adding significantly more content and fixing the issues in the first game caused by flash, Rebirth was a great improvement and a far more enjoyable experience.
I never made much progress in the original, however Rebirth has made me appreciate this game far more. Controller support and no more lag makes the game feel so much more playable, and the slightly more gentle learning curve, and an added op character, let me get make far more progress, and I feel like I’m improving a lot more at the game.
I do have a few issues with Rebirth, the music is a bit of a downgrade, and larger rooms can be annoying, but it is still a fantastic upgrade and a far more enjoyable

8. Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney ; Another long awaited translation, this one more worth the wait than Type 0. Again, it had its flaws, but it was still a decent Layton and AA game.
Some of the new features, like multi witness interrogations were great and it’s a shame that we’ll probably never see them in another Ace Attorney game. Some of the trials were really good, with case 3 in particular standing out, and the game had the regular cast of entertaining characters that you’d expect from an AA game. The final case does let things down a bit, getting overly complicated with some nonsensical revelations, but the plot overall was still fairly decent.
On the Layton side of things, many of the puzzles felt overly simple and easy to solve. The investigation sections were fine, but I found the courtroom to be more enjoyable.
The soundtrack was fairly decent, I don't think any of the court music was as good as Dual Destinies, but the music on the Layton side of things was great. It would have been nice if the remixes from the prologue got some more use as well. The animations really grew on me too, despite disliking Wright's model at first. The models do a good job at mixing the Ace Attorney and Layton series’ art styles.
Overall it was pretty enjoyable, whilst the final revelations weren't great and the puzzles were overly simplistic, it was still well worth the wait.

9. Final Fantasy: Type 0 ; The timing for the fan translation release wasn't the best, but it was great to finally have the opportunity to play Type 0 in English. It didn't quite live up to the hype of "best Final Fantasy in years," but it was still a fun, if flawed, experience. The combat was enjoyable for the most part, although I found some characters to be fairly useless, and it was lacking in enemy variety. I thought the plot was decent for the first 2/3rds of the game, and it had some really well done emotional scenes. The soundtrack was really great too.
What prevents me from placing Type 0 any higher was the lack of interesting things to find on the world map. There were a few caves scattered about, but not much else, and I didn't really enjoy exploring it all that much, the poor RTS sections, and the awful final chapter.
I did enjoy Type 0 quite a lot, but it had a lot of flaws too, and sections of it just felt rushed.

10. Azure Striker: Gunvolt ; With Capcom no longer making Megaman games, it was nice to see the team behind the Zero games still making something in that style. Gunvolt is not simply a straight Zero clone however: combat is now based on a lock on system, there are more movement options and higher character customisation and levels are build more around getting a perfect run for a high score than they are around killing you every few minutes. These changes keep it feeling like a fresh experience, and whilst it's quite a bit easier than the Zero games, going for perfect runs and high scores is still pretty tough.
Levels are well designed, each feeling unique, with their own gimick. Bosses are fun to fight, and the visuals are a nice call back to the GBA and DS games. The plot is rubbish, but that’s not really the selling point anyway. Gunvolt is a great 2D platformer with a lot of replayability, and is well worth playing.

Tainted

9pnMhNb.jpg

1. Grand Theft Auto V ; More than just a remaster, how it was meant to be played

Z66fiJb.jpg

2. Wolfenstein: The New Order ; Great Old school shooter, was the main reason I bought my PS4

Sgyuo0U.jpg

3. The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth ; Fantastic remake of the original

HfdzhaC.jpg

4. FIFA 15 ; Another great addition to the series

mmgqTzj.jpg

5. Shovel Knight ; My surprise entry for 2014. Lots of nostalgia from my youth

kTazvXy.jpg

6. Valiant Hearts: The Great War ; Amazing art style and fantastic story

65MVw5J.jpg

7. BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea: Episode 2 ; Irrational Games' swansong, and a brilliant end to the Bioshock story

cFgFpfq.jpg

8. Velocity 2X ; Brilliant little game with split second perfect controls

DYaYSYy.png

9. Watch_Dogs ; Despite the flaws, interesting game and fun to play at times

1ebYb0e.png

10. Pix the Cat ; Another surprise courtesy of PS+

Honourable Mentions

x. Far Cry 4 ; Have not played much to rank it in my top 10 (as I pumped so much time into GTAV)
x. Five nights at Freddys ; Interesting concept
x. P.T. ; Feels odd to add a teaser to a top 10 list, however, deserves a mention due to its individual brilliance in advertising the upcoming Silent Hills.

Sidzed2

1. Mario Kart 8;

2. Bayonetta 2;

3. Transistor;

4. Rogue Legacy;

5. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc;

6. Assassin's Creed Unity; sure, this game was buggy and ridden with micro-transactions, but amidst all the hubbub this is one of the best Assassin's Creed titles in years, with an amazingly-realized Paris, stripped down mechanics and the best mission design in the franchise, with actual assassinations! Unfairly maligned.

7. Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor;

8. Shovel Knight;

9. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair;

10. Velocity 2X;

Honourable Mentions:

x. Far Cry 4
x. Wolfenstein: The New Order
x. Alien Isolation
x. Strider
x. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Kikolool

Banned
1. Dragon Age: Inquisition; Loved how they improved so much after 2 and, although it is still buggy as hell, just like most it overall
2. South Park: The Stick of Truth; Being a big SP fan this game was much better than I expected. There are some really good RPG elements sitting underneath the comic style.
3. Divinity: Original Sin; Didn't like the story but man it had some really really good mechanics going on
4. Wasteland 2; Wasteland, nothing more to add
5. Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls; Bought this late on PS4. Works so good on a console, unbelievable.
6. Mario Kart 8; Was nice but only for a short time.
7. Wolfenstein: New Order; Gameplay-wise only medicore but story and atmosphere were really cool
8. P.T.; Not really a game yet but made me fear a lot
9. Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor; Cool setting
10. Destiny; Liked it much initially but dropped soon after I recognized it has nothing more to add

Dad

glens6t.png

1. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze ; The triumphant return of David Wise as well as the greatest platformer of all time. Tight controls, imaginative locales, an outstanding soundtrack, and stellar level design come together seamlessly to create something that really just towers over the competition.

pP3NjBp.png

2. The Wolf Among Us: Episodes 2-5 ; Telltale's best game yet. Bigby is an outstanding protagonist, and it's really great how much the game helped Fables reach a much larger audience.

pRRfPp2.png

3. Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty ; The long awaited return of what many thought was a dead franchise. For such a small studio, Just Add Water did an outstanding job of bringing the Abe's Oddysee into the modern era while still managing to capture the dark, comedic feel of the original game.

rK2vxwA.png

4. Dragon Age: Inquisition ; Dragon Age: We're Sorry About 2 Edition. The amount of content and size of the areas is really jaw dropping, especially juxtaposed to Dragon Age 2. The combat leaves a bit to be desired next to Origins, but it has by far the best group of companions in the series yet.

eAsuKVr.png

5. Valiant Hearts: The Great War ; The best "edutainment" game I've experienced. The gorgeous artstyle, attention to historic detail, and subtle, moving soundtrack really do justice to a conflict that is too often overshadowed by its successor.

q133axp.png

6. Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor ; The most surprising game of the year considering how much apathy I original felt to another licensed Lord of the Rings game. Combat is fun and satisfying to watch, and the Nemesis system is an absolute joy to toy around with

bS1ekt9.png

7. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U ; Competent online play and a really awesome, creative batch of newcomers on top of the existing formula make for the most complete Smash game yet. We like Ike.

oaYaRzM.png

8. Mario Kart 8 ; The first Mario Kart game that could ever claim to be gorgeous. The courses, soundtrack, and online play are the reason this is the one game of 2014 I keep coming back to months after release. Even if the roster sucks.

2LG373q.png

9. Bravely Default ; This is how you streamline an RPG. Random encounter frequency settings, an incredibly fast paced battle system, and a job system that offers plenty of flexibility and customization. It's like fastforwarding to all the good parts without wasting my time in the tedium that often bogs down these games.
Excpet for the last third of the game.

rjOIyRa.png

10. Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire ; As many steps forwards as steps back. Things like Dexnav, lowering water encounter rates, and building on the barebones plot of the original are all appreciated, but things like taking away trainer customization, tiny postgame, and even more overbearing handholding add just as many frustrations. A good but deeply flawed game.

Sanke__

1. South Park: The Stick of Truth ; absolutely fantastic game, hilarious, finally dethrones escape from butcher bay as best licensed game ever.

2. Wolfenstein: The New Order ; pure fun, game escalates so well, missions just keep getting better.

3. Far Cry 4 ; endless fun filled with crazy moments, open world game done right.

4. Infamous: First Light ; fantastic entry in a fantastic series.

5. Destiny ; so many hundreds of hours spent playing.

6. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare ; most enjoyable call of duty since the first modern warfare.

7. Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft ; extremely fun game in short bursts, easy to put down and come back to.

8. Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare ; super fun.

9. Valiant Hearts: The Great War ; great downloadable experience.

X. The Last of Us: Remastered ; best game by far but I just can't bare to include a re-release in my top ten.

matm666

1. Bayonetta 2; I played 1 for the first time and couldn't believe that 2 will be better, and it was.

2. Shovel Knight; Lots of fun specially for and old school gamer like me.

3. Mario Kart 8; Best MK game I have played, I have space them out so didn't have any franchise fatigue, I played for the first time Double Dash just a few weeks before MK 8 release and I found MK8 to be superior.

4.Super Smash Bros. for Wii U; always fun to play

5. Rusty's Real Deal Baseball; Cool concept haven't played all mini games but so far its really good.

6. Bravely Default; Could have been number 2 if the game didn't have those stupid repetitive chapters

7. The Last of Us Remastered; First time played it, really good better than the overrated Uncharted series.

I'll add more if I have the chance to play other stuff.

MagnesD3

Based on what ive read.

1. Bayonetta 2
2. Dark Souls 2

Personally I havent played alot of games that came out this year.

ezekial45

Banned
1. Bayonetta 2; The sequel to my Game Of The Generation knocks it out of the park. B2 is easily the best action I've played in years, and it continually upped the ante by making things more hectic and over the top. This is exactly the game we need -- one that puts pure fun above everything else.

2. Alien Isolation; After Aliens: Colonial Marines, I had little hope for the future of the Alien series. But then I played Alien Isolation, and it blew me away. Not only is this the finest horror title of the year, but also one of the best games based off of a movie. It completely respects the film it takes after, while having the courage to strike out on its own. This game is truly one of the best things this franchise has to offer.

3. Wolfenstein: The New Order; In a time where FPS titles emulate Call of Duty and other generic military action games, Wolfenstein: The New Order returns to the roots of the genre and shows that sometimes you need just to let players shoot shit up. In many ways, it feels like a throwback title trying to reconcile its place in the modern area, and it totally works in its favor. TNO blends the best of high-budget FPS game of today, with the pure action oriented gameplay of the past. It's truly the best of both worlds.

4. P.T.; Yes, this is a demo. Yes, it can be finished in less than 30 minutes. And yes, it totally deserves to be on my GOTY list. The mystery surrounding P.T. was incredibly enthralling, and it drew in many people who had no interest in the horror genre. It was not only cleverly designed, but it inspired much debate on social media. Of course, we found out it was a teaser to the next Silent Hill game, but the power P.T. had over people still could not be diminished. It truly felt like taking part in an event that was unfolding before our eyes. Plus, it's got some of the best scares the genre has seen in a long time. I'll never forget the image of a tall, gaunt women staring back at me from the other end of a dark hallway.

5. Diablo III: Reaper of Souls; Diablo III was a bit of a love/hate relationship for me. While I enjoyed the action and gameplay, the loot system left a lot to be desired. Once ROS came out, my relationship with the game changed to the better. Not only was the gameplay refined, the loot system was overhauled, giving players a more rewarding experience. I'm amazed at the sudden change it made, and it truly is a fine example of how a stellar expansion can make a good game into a great one.

6. The Binding of Issac: Rebirth
7. Shadow of Mordor
8. This War of Mine
9. Dark Souls II
10. Far Cry 4

Nyx

1. DriveClub ; The combination of graphics, sound, handling and track-layouts make this the best racing game I have ever played, so much thrills…
2. Shadow of Mordor ; Came out of nowhere for me, an excellent combination of Batman fighting and Assassin’s Creed sneaking around, with the amazing Nemesis-system to make this a classic.
3. Pro Evolution Soccer 2015 ; After years of disappointment, the King is finally back, best footy game in many years.

4. The Banner Saga
5. Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare
6. Hearthstone
7. WoW Warlords of Draenor
8. Age of Wonders 3
9. 80 Days
10. GTA V NG

List complete, need to work on the text tough..
Topten.jpg

1. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U ; Firstly, this is the best game in the series, yes even better than melee. Everything from online competitive matches to single player challenges are crafted with two things in mind, quality and fun. I'm literally having trouble finding any fault with this game. It doesn't matter if I play this game by my self or with my friends, all I have is fun. I'll be playing this game for years to come.

2. Bayonetta 2 ; Bayonetta 1 came out of nowhere for me, I borrowed it from a friend and was ready for a guilty pleasure game playing as a hot chick killing some angels 'n stuff. The game turned out to be amazing, I spent hundreds of hours getting platinum on every level, well tried to at least. Bayonetta 2 takes the first game and expands on the original concept delivering another flawless action game. I can't think of any studio that can deliver action gameplay at a quality even close to Platinum. Everything from player movement to the combo system is easy to grasp and pick up for new players but can be improved upon and masted over hundreds of hours of game time. Where it not for Smash I'd still be playing Bayonetta 2, and I fully anticipate that I'll return some time next year.

3. Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft ; I have a confession, Lost Vikings and Warcraft 3 are the only Blizzard games that I like, well except for Hearthstone. Don't get me wrong, I've played hundreds of hours of WoW and I can see that Diablo and Starcraft are great games, I just don't like them, something about Blizzard design turns me away. However, Blizzard are the best UI designers in the whole game industry and this is at its most evident in the case of Hearthstone. Playing a single card in HS is one of the most satisfying actions you can do in any game released this year. No I just have to stop sucking and get to that legend rank.

4. Dark Souls II ; I love the Souls series, and even at it's weakest it's better than most games released this year. The only bad thing about DS2 is that the level design is boring compared to the previous games. All the other mechanics have been improved since the previous installment. This game also got me into twitch where it has a very active speedrunning community.

5. Mario Kart 8 ; This game convinced me to finally buy a Wii U, when every other game seemed bleak, greedy, rushed or just plain bad Mario Kart 8 was nothing but pure unadulterated fun.

6. Dragon Age Inquisition ; This is the only game that comes close to competing with my Smash time at this time. I've managed to give it close to 50 hours and I'm really liking it. However since I'm not done with the game I can't rate it higher than this.

7. Valkyria Chronicles ; The original release of this game persuaded me to buy a PS3. That was years ago and the graphics are outdated...nope, the art style still holds up. This game basically earns a place for reminding me how good the original game was.

8. Binding of Isaac: Rebirth ; Isaac gets points for being very close to the type of game I'd like to make myself. Roguelikes with good meta progression and reactive core gameplay are not a common thing, and I'd like to see more of them.

9. Bravely Default ; Nostalgia is a powerful thing, but it's more than that, This game
hopefully
represents a resurgence of the classic RPG genre. Good characters and flexible job system that makes for loads interesting player choices, is all I really want in an RPG.

10. Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright ; I'm a sucker for mashups, and these two games mix better than most, keeping the core aspects of each game without making the game feel bloated. Simply put if you like either of the franchises you should be playing this, the game is a bit easy and short, but still strong enough to put Shadow of Mordor out of the top 10.

Honorable Mentions
Persona 4 Golden - I got my hands on an official P4G player this year, and Persona 4 is as good as ever, if you haven't played this you really need to.

Luftrausers - Best Soundtrack of 2014

Civilization: Beyond Earth - Don't make a trailer that oozes of narrative and then have a game that's just another civ game.

Nintendo - This year, pretty much every other big game company is releasing unfinished, poorly constructed, and downright embarrassing titles Nintendo keeps going at their own pace delivering good, high quality games. Thanks.

banagher

1. Driveclub ;
The racing is tight, it controls amazingly and is a blast to play. Online issues be damned, even playing the game offline is still a blast and is a testament to everyone at Evolution for making an incredibly fun game that sticks to their vision. No open worlds, no racing lines, no rewinding time to fix your mistakes. You drive, you learn and you get good. Everything is just so fluid and moving through the menus into racing without longass load times really makes a difference. You just go from race to race to race in the blind of an eye. These were my thoughts before the weather update even dropped. There was no going back once that was released. The game is a beast.

2. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc ;
What a trip. All of the characters are so memorable and a joy to watch. They're definitely eccentric and weird but i appreciated that they were all fleshed out and developed individuals. Danganronpa effortlessly switches from lighthearted comedy to dread and despair in various moments and it keeps you on your toes definitely. The courtroom scenes are the highlights and it's really enjoyable pressing your suspects and trying to catch their lies and mistakes. Watching the deaths is also perversely enjoyable in the way that they are presented in quite a unique and interesting way. You always want more.

3. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair ;
To have two Danganronpa games in a single year is quite odd. But nevertheless i've enjoyed both of them immensely. Goodbye despair brings us a similar formula to the one that we've all grown to love but introduces a few twists that make the series fresh and interesting. The island setting is a refreshing change and the new cast of characters are just as weird and widely varied as the group that came before.

4. The Last of Us: Left Behind ;
Naughty Dog's return to a world and cast of characters that many believed shouldn't have been touched again, reveals their magic and craft into continually evolving the story themes but gameplay as well. This wasn't just merely a quick DLC effort thrown out into the wild, but a thoughtful slice of game that actually added and improved upon the overall experience of the original main game.

5. Hohokum ;
A game that throws out all the modern conventions of what makes a game. Free-from exploration and discovery wrapped up in a ball of gorgeously vivid imagery and artwork from Richard Hogg. Ghostly's music artists are also just as much important to the overall experience in providing tracks that are not only amazing but change and differ based on your own actions. Definitely makes me laugh seeing people ask things such as "what do you do?" about games like No Mans Sky. As if the sense of exploration wasn't enough.

6. Infamous: Second Son ;
One of the first games to signal the arrival of next generation games, the provided playground of Seattle was a treat. Delsin may have his critics, but as a someone that has enjoyed all of the past Infamous game, I liked the slightly less cartoonish aspects of the story. The decision from Sucker Punch to have the main character have multiple conduit powers meant that you could pick and choose how you traversed and fought which added to the game's sense of frantic action. You're never just static. You're moving through vents gliding across buildings, throwing smoke bombs and then picking up neon and taking sniper snots while zooming all the way up and down a tall building. It suffers from lacking some of the mission variety from previous games, but the crazy action and new traversal options more than made up for it.

7. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes ;
Kojima's tease of a game exhibits almost everything about the Metal Gear series that i love. There's definitely a darker tone to the game, but the wackiness is still there if you look for it. The replayability is definitely something that tends to get overlooked and ignored. It's a great tease and leases me waiting for TPP with baited breath.

8. Freedom Wars ;
You have a goddamn grappling hook which you use to attach to giant humongous beasts to either pull down or fling yourself onto to inflict damage. The game is just so fun, especially online with other players all together in an arena fighting off enemies and sharing the spoils of victory and the embarrassment of defeat. Sinners unite!

9. The Evil Within ;
The game is a janky mess but I can't help but love it. Gunplay and combat can be clunky yet it still demands skill and patience. Levels can be quite ugly visually, but the variety of the environments is always appreciated. Odd game but one that definitely shines the longer you put in(especially on New Game + ).

10. Velocity 2X ;
Fast paced action with newly added platforming segments that maintained the flow and speed of the original game. The gameplay, music and systems mechanics all combine to encourage an endless sense of momentum. You're always going faster and faster, challenging yourself to beat your previous attempt. It's thrilling and a great game from a great developer.

Honorable Mentions
x. The Last Of Us: Remastered;
x. OlliOlli;
x. Ys: Memories of Celceta

Gilby

So does Nuclear Throne count as a 2014 game? The constant updating is kind of a large part of the appeal for me, so it may actually be a "worse" game once it leaves early access.

Raggie

1. Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers 20th Anniversary Edition ; the original game is my personal Best Game Of All Time, and even though it's still the version I prefer, the remake still has everything that makes it a classic. The writing, themes, characters, atmosphere, it's all there.

2. Might & Magic X: Legacy ; just in terms of fun and plain enjoyment, this game delivers. A compact world filled with varity and interesting stuff and fun combat.

E-phonk

Banned
(disclaimer: don't have a ps4 yet, but since few exclusives on it seem to excite me 'till now, I doubt a lot of titles would've made it)

1. Mario Kart 8; The only game besides dark souls that I can keep playing. Everytime friends come over there's a big chance we'll end up playing MK8. Imo the best iteration in the series.
2. Bayonetta 2; Amazing action game, worth all the praise it gets. Coming from Bayo 1 everything is even more tight and the action sequences get even more over the top.
3. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U ; Haven't played enough of it to my likening, but what I play of it was amazingly great and fun.
4. Dark Souls 2; I just love the souls series. It had it's flaws compared to DS1 and DeS, but it's still top of the crop.
5. The Last of Us: Left Behind ; great addition to an already amazing game (which was my GoTY last year). Naughty dog and FROM soft will be why I jump in on ps4 next year eventually.
6. Child of light: amazing atmosphere and nice turnbased battle system
7. Shovel knight; more games like this please!
8. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze; I didn't love it as much as others on GAF did, but it's still a very solid platformer that oozes with fun.

Most of the other games I played/loved were 2013 releases so just these eight.

Bass260

Very Nintendo heavy year for me.

1. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze ; Tropical Freeze fixes all the glaring flaws with the original DKCR and then some. The great level design combined with the David Wise soundtrack makes this one of the best 2D platformers in years. Just a master class in game design, sound, art style, and replayability.
2. Bayonetta 2 ; What else can be said about Bayonetta 2? Platinum always delivers in high-quality action. Short hair>long hair.
3. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker ; This game is too cute :) it's a bit on the short side but it's still a fun romp through the eyes of Captain Toad and Toadette.
4. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U ;
5. Mario Kart 8 ;
6. Shovel Knight ;
7. Hyrule Warriors ;
8. Kirby: Triple Deluxe ;
9. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call ;
10. Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth ;

This is subject to change before the deadline :) and the last 5 or so aren't in any order really.

BusterJol

1. Sunset Overdrive ; Pure Unadulterated Fun: The Game. Loved every second of it. Everything from the grinding, to the gunplay, and (sometimes) the humor is fantastic.
2. Watch Dogs ; This year really was all about gameplay. I genuinely enjoyed the hacking and gunplay elements of Watch Dogs. Having L3 to reload is a feature I want in every TPS now.
3. Destiny ; Really reminded me of Gears of War 2 back in the day. Met alot of new online friends through it. And had a blast playing it. Now it is lacking in content, but getting a certain gun like the Mythoclast or the max level is a fantastic joy.
4. Super Smash Bros. for 3DS ; It's a Smash Bros game alright. Great times to be had every single time I play with friends. Also the addition of Pac-Man and him being one of my favorite Smash characters ever really added weight to its position here.
5. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare ; Campaign was a nice treat. Kevin Spacey was a bit intriguing as the villain (if very cliche). But the most important part, the gameplay is top-notch. Thrusting, using speed boosts, and sliding around is fantastic.
6. The Binding of Issac: Rebirth ; Got this from PS+ and it was worth every penny. Addictive to a T. Gruesome with all the different enemy types and funny just seeing what becomes of Issac through the items you pick up.
7. Strider ; Fast-paced metroid-vania? Yes please. Rushing through with your different cyphers and abilities destroying enemies is great. The neon aesthetic is nice to look at too! Still need to collect everything though.
8. Plants Vs Zombies: Garden Warfare ; This game really came out nowhere. Brilliantly priced and a godsend in the early months of this year. Great mixture of classes and abilities. I just wish Garden Ops was better...
9. Kalimba ; Clever little puzzle game I can't wait to try with a buddy. The artstyle and music are nice too.
10. Titanfall ; People rip on Destiny for having a lack of content. I contend Titanfall is worse. It is a fun ass game don't get me wrong. It would just be that much better if things like Frontier Defense and the Ranked System were in at launch. And a campaign would've been great too. They could have made some fantastic set pieces. But goddamn is going from the ground to a Titan then brawling 2 enemy Titans while having a teammate ride on your back with a Sidewinder providing support fun as hell.

1) Forza Horizon 2 (Xbox One)
I am not a great fan of sim racing games, and I missed out on the first but arcade games have always been up there. Not since PGR series have I enjoyed a racing game so much, its colourful and the go anywhere makes for intense point to point races. It is only 30fps was an annoyance to some people who dismissed it straight off the bat, but I have yet to seen a dip.
I am a bit annoyed that weather can't be adjusted, it never seems to rain as often as I would like.

2) The Binding of Issac: Rebirth (PsVita)
Did it all in the first game and expansion but thanks to being flash the game was like tar. Thankfully no such issues with Rebirth, despite plugging in 500 hours in to the first I am still pumping in hours in to this. Perfect game for the Vita and a game can be challenging to easy depending on the pick ups so it makes you get good early on.

3) Sunset Overdrive (Xbox One)
Colourful game. Well lets be honest its a fantastic game, and was close to being number 1 over Forza Horizon 2. The movements, the gunplay are perfect, the story is good and the writing is excellent. If you buy an Xbox One then this game needs to be bought with it. It slipped to 3 as I always go back to Forza H2, and Binding of Issac.

4) Mario Kart 8 (WiiU)
Getting your friends around and having an alcoholic beverage or 12 and playing this game is amazing fun, the graphics are to die for and the small animations and attention to detail really make you think that although underpowered, no other first party studio will put as much love in to a game.
It falls to 4th as Mario Kart Wii had the superior Rainbow Road, and the Rainbow road on the retro side of the game only has 1 lap with no option to change it.

5) Bayonetta 2 (WiiU)
Action game of the year? It has everything Bayonetta has but more of it. Smooth framerate (Some drops), and frantic action make it a must buy for a WiiU owner. I have yet to complete it due to all the games coming out at the time but its been great so far.

Honourable mention:
Splunky. I don't know if this game came out in 2014. But I started playing in it 2014. I was in hospital and this was the only game except Final Fantasy 7-9 I had on my Vita at the time. I still play it and it would be my game of the year 2014 hands down. I am just unsure as to when it was released.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
W7037g5.jpg

1. OlliOlli; No narrative, no fluff, no 25-minute handholding session trying to make you like the main character, OlliOlli is pick up and play at the very best. You grind and flip your way across levels with just flicks of the left analogue stick, but perfect timing and the brilliant "Press X to land" mechanic makes it one of the most technically demanding and satisfying games released this year. It keeps you engaged, it makes you feel cool, and at all times you are in control. Imagine the best parts of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater and EA's Skate in one game - that's OlliOlli.

9ogQXH8.jpg

2. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes; Only Kojima could show up with a 45-minute demo and jump straight in at number two on my GOTY list. Ground Zeroes is just fantastic, even more so for the diehard MGS fan that I am. It's a peerless blend of open-world stealth and absolutely gorgeous graphics, not only setting an enormous precedent for Phantom Pain next year but also packing in more ideas and fun gameplay than most other full-length games released in 2014.

MTl5EwN.png

3. P.T.; Kojima again. Disregarding the argument about whether P.T. should even 'count' or not, it's undeniable to say that it was just one of the freshest, most intuitive gaming experiences this year. It was even more amazing compared to other horror games released in 2014. While something like Outlast is certainly unnerving, essentially all its tricks are jump scares. P.T. manages to terrify me like no other game has in the past. Using just a corridor, a bathroom, and a phone, amazingly it will go down as the scariest game I have ever played.

4. The Last of Us: Left Behind
5. Mario Kart 8
6. Child of Light
7. Transistor
8. Assassin's Creed Unity
9. inFamous: Second Son
10. Destiny

Honourable mentions:
x. Shadow of Mordor - seemed like my ideal game on paper but in practice I found it pretty bland. I still got the Platinum though, so obviously I enjoyed it.
x. The Last of Us and Grand Theft Auto V - Of course, these two would place higher than some of the games on my list above, but I wanted to keep it 2014-focussed. It's the definitive way to play two GOTY titles, and The Last of Us especially is a must-play that will go down in the history of videogames.

Unlike last year where I was able to play every game that imo was worth considering, this year I missed out on a lot. Still don't have a current gen console (though I have a PC for multiplats).

I'm still trying to catch up but I'll start building the list now and edit later.
Edit: Remasters and DLC count? Well, that changes things lol. TLOU is my favorite game so it wouldn't make sense to not put it at the top, I kinda feel that last gen ports should be left out unless it's a complete remake of the game. These lists should be focused on content released on that specific year imo.

1. The Last of Us Remastered
2. Shin Megami Tensei IV
3. Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth
4. Dark Souls 2
5. DanganRonpa
6. DanganRonpa 2
7. Alien Isolation
8. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
9. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
10. Bioshock Infinite: Burial at Sea episode 2

Honorable Mentions
x. The Banner Saga
x. Child of Light
x. Tales of Xillia 2

1. Forza Horizon 2 - the rare game I was hyped for and surpassed it. Very, very addictive, the vistas are great and they've fixed the progression issue from FM5.

2. Bayonetta 2 - A miracle on its own. While I knew it's unlikelt to have been bad, I was pleased that Platinum stepped up the craziness from even Bayo 1. Been too long since the satisfaction of Witch Time dodges.

3. Mario Kart 8 - I've liked other ones (Double Dash especially) but the creativity, sheer hilarity and fun is hard to top.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
My nominations:

1. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call: I fell in love with the first Theatrhythm when I played it last year and had high expectations for the sequel. Curtain Call managed to surpass them all. Not only was the number of songs, characters, and game modes expanded dramatically but it is probably the first ever online rhythm game and no one made a big deal of it! Everything works great in this game and the fact that SE gave us more DLC months after the game's release, proves that they know this is a quality franchise (yay!) worth supporting.
  2. Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN-: I really wanted to give this my GOTY award. I really did. The graphics are gorgeous, the mechanics are solid, the story is a huge improvement over other fighting games not called MK9, and the soundtrack still rocks. However, the online leaves a lot to be desired. Not because of latency issues or anything but because the systems are rather non-intuitive and cumbersome at worst. Online ranked matches are specially a mess. Still, Xrd laid an amazing platform where to improve upon, so I'm definitely looking forward to what ASW brings next.
  3. Persona 4 Arena Ultimax: P4A was my GOTY 2012 and this almost took the spot as well. The roster for this game was more than doubled, the story mode was streamlined, and Atlus made an amazing move of giving us even more characters for free for early adopters. The cherry on the cake was that P4A's DLC even carried over to Ultimax! Finally, Margaret might be my favorite main from all the fighting games I've ever played. So much fun playing her online. I really hope we don't have to wait post-Persona 5 to get another Arena fighting game.
  4. Super Smash Bros for Nintendo 3DS: Probably the most hyped I've ever been for a game ever. While mechanically, Smash Bros 3DS delivered, it fell short of content after 30 hours or so. Also, when I started noticing lag even in local matches, I realized that while well-intentioned, Smash Bros was simply not suited for the 3DS. Still, what Sakurai managed was very impressive. I will probably come back to it once the Mewtwo DLC is released.
  5. BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma: Finally, the game where I "got" BlazBlue. For years I tried to get into the franchise without much success, but after a nice release-date discount I decided to give BB another try. The story mode improved dramatically over CT and CS, the newcomer characters were awesome as well (I mained one of them even), and the introduction of online arcades is my favorite new thing in ASW fighting games of lately. While a great game, it was still crappy that after such a long localization we still didn't get all features from the Japanese release (library mode). Also, the fact that ASW is pulling another "Extend" release, makes me a bit wary to dive fully into this franchise.
  6. Kirby Triple Deluxe: Lovely platformer drowned in a year of big releases. It hooked me for long enough to collect all Sun Stones. I enjoyed every step of the ride and I'm looking forward to replay it in a near future. Probably, the 3DS' most underrated game.
  7. Crimzon Clover World Ignition: The best shmup released this year, hands down. Probably, the most polished shmup since CAVE's Dodonpachi Saidaioujou and from and indie dev no less. This new version of Crimzon Clover features many graphical options, online leaderboards, and controller support, and it's less than $15! Sadly though, it's probably the last "hurrah" for shmups as we enter a grim 2015 for the genre. :(
  8. Gunvolt: A spiritual sequel to the Mega Man Zero games and Inti Creates first original IP. The gameplay was tight but it lacked a bit on the challenge and content sides. Still, looking forward to any potential sequels.
  9. XBLAZE Code: Embryo: A lovely VN that not even fans of the genre seem to have paid attention to. While Mori's stories are 99% nonsense, after playing so much BBCP ealier this year I decided to give it a go and enjoyed it a lot. I really hope a soundtrack CD is released in the near future and that the sequel gets picked up for localization.
  10. Pokemon Alpha Sapphire: To be honest, the games that should be here are X and SoulSilver. People clamored that Pokemon X had no post-game but I played it for 50 hours after I beat the Elite Four and then went ahead and bought more Pokemon! So far I'm having a lot of fun with the DexNav though, really awesome feature. Also, props to Game Freak for releasing a demo.

Honorable Mentions:

• DJMax Technika Q: The best rhythm mobile game around. While it features IAP heavily, the gameplay is so good that it prompted me to get a Vita and Technika Tune. Best gaming decision of last year.
  • Luftrausers: My PS+ GOTY. This game on a Vita is the best pick-up-and-play experience you can have. Vlambeer make awesome games and thanks to Luftrausers they're constantly on my radar now.
  • Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds: Neat little brawler with a very charming art style. I wish the online weren't so dead on Vita to play it a bit more often.
  • Monument Valley: Very charming puzzle game with gorgeous art style. Not very challenging but just like games like Journey, you pay for the experience. Will proabably grab the DLC levels on sale.

My 2013 votes.

CANLI

1. Mario Kart 8
2. Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
3. Jojo's bizarre adventure all stars ps3
4. Kirby Triple Deluxe
5. Bravely default

1.Divinity: Original Sin ; The best RPG in the last decade. Amazing battle system, challenging gameplay, innovative co-op system. The story and writing could have been better, but those weaknesses are negligible.

2. Diablo 3 ; Reaper of souls - Adventure mode adds so much to the game. There are also the improvements of patch 2.0, they aren't part of RoS,but they improved the basic game so much that it's practically a new game that deserves a spot on this list.

3. Hearthstone ; can't stop playing this game. It has some flaws, like too much reliance on RNG,but it's fun and addicting.

4. Sunset overdrive ; Funny story and dialogues that make fun of every possible gaming cliche , Original traversal mechanics, great weapons, good world design. My only complaint is that it was too easy(except for the challenges).

5. Wasteland 2 ; The battle system isn't as good as Divinity's, but the C&C and writing are better.

6. Donkey Kong country Tropical Freeze ; best 2d platformer ever.

7. M&M X - another good RPG ; this year wass full of them.

8. Civ Beyond Earth ; Civ in space. enough said.

9. legend of grimrock 2 ; same as 7.

10. The banner saga ;

Honorable mentions:

1. Dark souls 2
2. Mario Kart 8
3. Gunvolt

Games that would be likely to appear in the list if i had played them: Dragon age inquisition, elite dangerous, shadow of mordor,alien isolation.

Moff

1. Alien Isolation ; The first game in years that made me feel really immersed in a game again, where I didnt just get the mechanics immediately and just solved the game. The Franchise Art Design was wonderfully translated into the game as well.

2. Wolfenstein: The new Order ; Best single player shooter since HL2. Amazing Art and setting, heavily satisfying gunplay, great pacing and level design.

3. Mario Kart 8 ; So good to see Nintendo arriving in HD, supersmooth and crisp graphics in 60fps, great track design and new hover mechanics made this a pure joy to play.

4. Bayonetta 2 ; The perfect action game. A more satisfying ending and permanent 60fps could have made it game of the year.

5. Risen 3 ; Despite all it's many faults. In a year that saw a lot of great old school RPGs, I had the most fun with Risen 3. In my opinion the best Piranha Bytes game since Gothic 2. With the right mod that adresses balancing issues, this might become even better.

6. Divinity: Original Sin ; Another great RPG from developer Larian that I actually never really liked. but they hit a lot of the right tones with this game for an old school RPG player who loves choices and world interaction. sadly only really in the first third of the game.

7. Might and Magic X: Legacy ; A great revival of one of my favourite franchises as a kid. perfectly translated into a modern UI. please please bring a sequel.

8. Shadow of Mordor ; apart from the Nemesis mechanic, this game doesnt have many highlights. but the Nemesis System alone makes this a noticable game that develops it's own dynamics. I really hope other franchises will copy this in the future.

9. Shovel Knight ; Definitely the 8-bit retro game I had the most fun with so far. Smooth gameplay and amazing soundtrack.

10. South Park: The Stick of Truth ; The funniest game I ever played. Sadly, the RPG mechanics were mediocre.

I also enjoyed:
x. diablo - reaper of souls
x. dark souls 2
x. warlords of draenor
x. dragon age: inquisition
x. wasteland 2
x. Thief

all in all, 2013 was a fantastic year for me, mostly because of the many great old school rpgs, one of the best, maybe the best gaming year in the new millenium, for me

Hystzen

1. Dragon Age: Inquisition ; This is how Bioware should approach future titles, it has some issues mainly MMO style grinds but when you dig deeper into game you can find great lore attached to vast areas you explore. Great characters including solid voice acting truly brings the game alive and is first game in a long time i cant wait for future DLC to arrive for.

2. X-COM: Enemy Within ; A great expansion with added depth which was vastly missing from the original release. The idea of creating augmented soldiers or mechs and stripping your soldiers of humanity to combat alien scum never got old when you leaping up buildings in stealth with shotguns.

3. Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends ; I skipped the first release due to waiting for PS4 version and oh boy how fun this was. The new story for Lu Bu was crazy as expected from this franchise and I loved every 60 hours i put into this game

4. Final Fantasy XIV : A Realm Reborn ; First MMO i touched and enjoyed every minute i spent. Newbie friendly with some amusing end game content including the great Hildibrand Manderville.

5. Hitman GO ; Great title to play on the go never expected board game Hitman to work but it does. Simple to play but also with right amount of challenge with even levels based on Hitman levels from previous games

6. South Park : The Stick Of Truth ; basically a playable 3 part episode arc and it never lets up with references to the shows and jokes.

7. Metro Redux ; probably best remaster I seen and cheaper then most remaster with 2 games in the package. Gorgeous, atmospheric and scary at times such a great series

8. FTL : Advanced Edition ; you know the picture so need to upload it but when you know how play game say goodbye to amount of hours that will fly by

9. Dark Souls II ; I'm on side of fence that it just as good as Dark Souls not much say about it as it souls and people know what expect from souls. The bonus for this game is how it encourages new game plus to get new items and souls with extra lore

10. The Banner Saga ; gorgeous art style for a simple SRPG with extra Oregon Trail choices outside of battles. Hopefully it's ports to consoles will encourage more people to play this title and I can't wait for the sequel

Honourable mention
x Bayonetta 2- I just didn't like it as much as first but it still a fun action title that ends with a wimper and feels to samey

Maxxan

1. The Last of Us: Left Behind ; this is how DLC should be done.
2. Destiny ; the most fun I've had online in a while.
3. Wolfenstein: The New Order ; surprise of the year.
4. Rogue Legacy ; this was completely new to me, and it was amazing.
5. The Last of Us: Remastered ; the best way to experience last year's GOTY.
6. Transistor ; a beautiful little game.
7. South Park: The Stick of Truth ; a bit flawed, but seriously funny.
8. Fez ; finally got a chance to play this - it did not dissapoint.
9. The Swapper ; played this on the PS4, and it was great.
10. Metro Redux ; two great games right here.

Honorable Mentions
x. Dragon Age: Inquisition ; would probably be high up on the list if I'd had played more of it.
x. Far Cry 4 ; same here.
x. Bayonetta 2 ; and here.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
1. Love Live School Idol Festival ; free to play game and yet I never feel like I ever have to spend a penny to enjoy it. GAF community is great too.
2. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze ; Got this for Christmas so it's a late entry, but this game was so enjoyable it got me to pull and beat Returns to completion, something I actually failed to do the first time round (didn't bother to beat all the K levels).
3. Mario Kart 8 ; One of my favourite 3DS comes to the big screen. Beautiful looking and still handles the way I like it.
4. Super Smash Bros for 3DS
5. Super Smash Bros for Wii U ; portable Smash is more novel which is why I put them in this order.
6. NES Remix 2 ; While the games included may be better, I feel the concept of bite sized challenged and coming up with alternative rules suited the simpler arcade titles of the earlier NES games found in NES Remix 1.

Steel

Banned
Very underwhelming year overall, though I did find a handful of games I rather liked among the mediocrity, the majority are not AAA though.

1. Dark Souls 2 ; I'd be the first one to say that it was much worse than Dark Souls 1, however I can also honestly say that it still has the charm of its predecessor. I've dumped hundreds of hours into this game, and actively enjoyed it the whole time. Definitely my game of the year.
2. Endless Legend ; This game came out of nowhere for me. I had been a fan of Endless Space, and had dimly heard about other endless games coming out, but it wasn't until the black Friday steam sale that I saw this for twenty-some dollars that it became known to me. The game is genius; it allows you to make your own customized units, recruit other races to help your cause through quests, a unique-for-turn-based-startegy battle system, a main quest with a wide variety of objectives that can bring you to a wonder victory and races with wildly different gameplay possibilities. Definitely the best turn based startegy game I've played in years. The only draw back is that the AI is pityfully easy.
3. Soul Sacrifice Delta ; An expansion on Soul Sacrifice with more than enough new story content to call it a whole other game and some juicy new lore stories, new shops, raiments, and awesome new spells and spell balancing that allow for diverse playing methods. Really hope to see more from this universe.
4. Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel ; Loot game of the year, for sure.
5. The Last of Us: Remastered ; First time playing The Last of us. I was pleasantly surprised the game lived up to the hype. Both a good game and a good story.
6. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc ; Ace Attorney x Zero Escape with action minigames? Can it work? It most certainly can.

I originally bought it because it was made by the same people that made the Zero Escape series. And while I still prefer the puzzles of Zero Escape, Daganronpa was so zany and off the wall, and filled with despair that I fell in love after the end of the first chapter execution.

Many people bash the argument minigames, and while the logic behind them was definitely easier than Ace Attorney, I found the act of loading an argument and shooting down your opponent's statements as they say them particularly engaging.
7. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair ; The feeling of dread in this game is a lot less pronounced than its predesscessor, but there were a few notable improvements. I found most of the new minigames fun, and a certain character more interesting than anything in DR 1.
8. Freedom Wars ; A portable 3rd-person shooter, with wall grappling, with pvp and co-op, with loot-game mechanics, where you play as a prisoner who doesn't even start out with the right to lay down on his bed. There were so many interesting ideas here that it kept my interest for a long while. Would have liked it even more with a proper english dub.
9. Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS ; Controlled poorly on the 3ds circle pad, and didn't have anything excessively new, but it was definitely smash. Definitely had plenty of fun times here.
10. Banished ; Another come from behind candidate, an indie village-builder game that I picked up because it couldn't possibly be worse than the most recent Sim City. It was definitely much better, and building a gigantic town from a handful of citizens is definitely satisfying.

Monocle

AZyri8v.jpg

1. Bayonetta 2 ; The original Bayonetta was an instant classic and remains one of the all time greatest action games. A tough act to follow, no doubt, yet PlatinumGames managed to improve upon it in nearly every way with Bayonetta 2, stripping out the gimmicks and making the best things even better. Every single complaint I had about the first game was addressed. Every one.

There are no surprise QTEs that deliver instant death out of nowhere. The vehicle segments are fewer, shorter, and much more fun to play. The variety of weapon styles and playable characters is greatly increased. There are many more human-sized bosses (which are the most engaging type to fight in technical action games because they tend to test your full skill set, in contrast to larger bosses that limit your combat options). When I replay Bayonetta 1, I skip the cool looking but tedious giant boss fights and the chapters with frustrating environmental hazards and awkward platforming and annoying flame cloaked enemies, cutting out about half the game. When I replay Bayonetta 2, I can go through every chapter in sequence because they're so well paced, so thoroughly rid of dull padding and annoying obstacles.

The superb combat system, mountain of bonus content, dizzying variety, unmatched pacing and refinement, and limitless replayability are all reasons why Bayonetta 2 is my game of the year. But there's another. Bayonetta 2 rebels against modern gaming's worst trends. Where AAA monsters are shipped full of glitches and stripped of content to enhance the "value" of pre-order exclusives and day-one DLC and season passes, Bayonetta 2 is polished to a blinding sheen, overflowing with enough extras for a couple years' worth of DLC, and it's all free on disk. Where flashy but shallow titles treat gameplay as crude scaffolding for cinematic experiences, Bayonetta 2's gameplay-first design philosophy hearkens back to the PS2 days, when it wasn't so unusual for games to offer deep mechanics that players could unpack over hundreds of hours.

Bayonetta 2 is a glimpse of what could be, an artifact from a more consumer-friendly game industry where quality and creativity reign.

marcincz

1. The Last of Us: Remasterd - I know it's the only remaster of the game originally released in 2013, but it was my first time. I love this game, it's heroes, story, setting and gameplay. Game of my entire life.

2. inFamous: Second Son - incredible, amazing, gorgeous, tremendous graphics, besides very good game.

3. Driveclub - many people laughted, many hated, but game is brillant especially after last patch added weather elements and stability of the connection.

4. Left Behind - only short DLC, but really good and showing Ellie like a small girl who like toys, arcade games and play with her friend in this terrible world.

5. inFamous: First Light - Fetch as a main hero, brillant idea from Sucker Punch and beautiful Seattle once again.

1. Valiant Hearts: The Great War
2. The Last of Us: Remastered
3. Grand Theft Auto V
4. inFAMOUS: Second Son
5. Child of Light
6. Driveclub
7. Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor
8. Lords of the Fallen
9. The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
10. Destiny

Steel

Banned
This is really looking like a toss up between Dark Souls 2, Bayonetta 2, and Dragon age Inquisition. Inquisition seems to be on top so far though.

SixthEight

Neo Member
1. GTA V ;

Yeah, a remaster. But the game has so much replay value and content that I enjoyed it just as much the second time.

2. Mario Kart 8 ;

Solid controls, beautiful visials, and most importantly, the game is just plain fun and addicting.

3. The Last of Us Remastered ;

Another remake, but this game was a lot of fun to play a second time and like GTA, I felt double dipping was worth it just to have these two great games on the new hardware.

4. Watch Dogs ;

WD definitely is a very flawed game, but I still loved how open ended a lot of the missions felt. The controls were solid and so was the gameplay, so I'm able to overlook the awful story and characters. Plus the hacking multiplayer is a lot of fun.

5. Titanfall ;

I'm usually not a big fan of multiplayer, but Titanfall's fast gameplay was addicting and highly enjoyable.

6. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes ;

I loved the AI and how realistic the enemies behaved. Plus the game is highly replayale and has some great side missions.

7. Infamous: Second Son ;

Yeah, the campaign was short and could have been better, but I still love this game's excellent graphics. It really showcased the PS4's potential. Plus I loved all the different powers.

8. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze ;

I loved that this game was a true challenge. The bosses were a little too hard, but the levels were excellently designed and it has a lot of replay value.

Sadly I haven't played many of the fall games like Smash, so these are the only 8 I've played this year that stand out to me.

EGM1966

1. Alien Isolation ; It wasn't perfect but it was the most original and involving experience I had all year. More than anything I loved it as the AAA game that ignored all the rules for AAA titles. It was tough, it didn't hold your hand, it required you to learn the game's rules, it was true to its own artistic vision. It was also a perfect realization of the world created by Alien and the best Alien game to date.

2. P.T. ; I know, it's not really a full game. But damn the experience, the tone and the mood. It was quite something to experience and the single best use of a corridor with a corner in it I can imagine.

3. Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare ; The best online title of the year by a mile for me (sorry Destiny you ain't go anything on this one). Fun, bright and cheerful I loved how it bucks the "online is serious business" feel of the big online titles. It's also a masterful game and well balanced. Never thought I'd have an EA game on a top 10 list but well done Popcap.

4. Betrayer ; Sure you could play it in colour (and it was actually pretty nice looking with some colour too) but the original experience works best without the colour and with the atmosphere working overtime. Again it had some flaws but overall the experience was terrific and I loved the atmosphere and tone as well as the setting. A terrific little title.

5. The Vanishing Of Ethan Carter ; Short but very nicely handled walking simulator (and I like the genre). Terrific mood and tone and just enough mechanics to keep it involving. Terrific visuals and sense of place too.

6. Shadow of Mordor ; Sure it was arguably too easy and a little light on variety but the combat was fun, the realization of Mordor pretty good and it worked in Sauron and the Middle Earth history pretty well. The Nemisis system was a lot of fun and it invited you to experiment with various tactics and abilities.

7. Wolfenstein: The new Order ; Terrific SP FPS and the best campaign in a while (since Resistance 3 probably).

8. Fez PS4 ; A terrific atmosphere and very nice mechanics. Really enjoyed this one shame about the issues around it's initial release and support.

9. Dragon Age Inquisition ; I'm not normally one for classic RPGs, particularly the combat post Dragon's Dogman, but I enjoyed this a lot when I bought it on a whim after hearing such positive word of mouth. Many and varied locations and content a-plenty coupled with nice range of mechanics. Just a pity it still managed to have some annoying side quests and a real, real pity it didn't have combat/traversal to match Dragon's Dogma

10. Driveclub ; Pretty surprised to be listing this but damn is it the best racer I've enjoyed in a long time. An real pretty to look at too.

Honourable mentions:
x. Child of Light

Forkball

Super_Smash_Bros._U_-_new_characters.jpg

1. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U ; There's no other franchise that gets me hyped up as much as Smash does. The speculation about an upcoming Smash game is an adventure in itself. Most games would probably fail to live up to such clamor, but not Smash 4. Not only does it boast one of the greatest rosters in a fighting game (Dark Pit is also there), it feels like every single aspect of the game has been enhanced in a significant way. The game is so content rich that I find myself thinking "what should I do next?' because I am so overwhelmed. Between the two versions, I have basically been playing it three months straight, something I can't say for most games.

gQtzA5e.jpg

2. Super Smash Bros. for 3DS ; Though this version has been overshadowed by it's HD brother, the 3DS version is still a phenomenal title. I personally find many of the stages are superior than the ones on the Wii U, and Smash Run is a surprisingly addictive evolution of the classic Adventure Mode. The fact that this game exists and isn't completely broken shows how incredibly skilled Sakurai and his team are.

NxXpYvg.jpg

3. Youkai Watch 2 Honke/Ganso ; Part of the appeal of JRPGs is how jampacked they are with content. Youkai Watch 2 really excels on this front, as it is a tremendously rich and unique game. Though it has been declared a Pokemon clone by many, it is anything but and its success is due to how the game does nearly everything so perfectly. You can only play so many JRPGs where you are an anorexic teenager in fantasy Europe. Sometimes you just want to have bike races with your friends, travel to 1950s Japan, or go to hell.

Vhp7xXu.jpg

4. Mario Kart 8 ; This is undoubtedly the best Mario Kart title yet. The tracks are so diverse and well-made that you won't groan when yours isn't picked online. The anti-gravity aspect is so well-integrated that you hardly notice you are indeed racing upside down until someone zips past you below. The online is incredibly smooth and you can marvel at how much better people are than you. The DLC released earlier this year is among the best ever and has added so many hours to my playtime.

Mm3pDvn.jpg

5. Dark Souls 2 ; Many were disappointed by the newest entry in this unforgiving series, but I felt the sequel improved greatly on many aspects of Dark Souls. The deep customization is still there, along with challenging enemies and a foreboding atmosphere. The online aspect, one of the most intriguing elements of the series, is so much smoother and has some nice additions. While it may have lost some of its freshness, Dark Souls 2 still stands as an incredible action RPG.

DO6i1XR.jpg

6. Bravely Default ; This game is almost like a fanservice title to hardcore Final Fantasy fans. It lifts so many elements from that series that it truly is Final Fantasy in all but name. The job system allows for a lot of depth, and the battle system completely changes how you will think about turn-based battles. Though the game is hampered by a poor second half, it is still a nice callback to the olden days of classic Final Fantasy titles, along with its own distinct touches.

gHx3L07.png

7. Out of the Park Baseball 15 ; If you know what VORP, WHIP, UZR, and OPS+ mean, then this game is for you. It is the ultimate baseball management sim, allowing incredible flexibility that lets you micromanage each pitch, or auto-simming entire seasons. It is incredibly mod friendly, as you can instantly download popular ones straight into the game. The UI is quite cumbersome, but beyond that it's a must for baseball fans.

xw7dlq2.png

8. Taiko no Tatsujin: Don and Katsu's Great Spacetime Adventure ; This is one of those games that makes me happy that I own a Japanese 3DS. Not only is it a fantastic rhythm game, it also has an interesting story mode that involves time travel, teaming up with the Wright Bros, and using rifle-wielding tanukis in battle. The song list is excellent and has a lot of variety. Yes, you can play Japanese Let it Go with a pink Don-chan wearing an afro and a skirt.

IUw17uO.png

9. Shovel Knight ; Medieval Mega Man for the modern man. Shovel Knight is a fantastic action platformer that makes you wish all games were rendered in 2D sprites. Though you can clearly see inspiration from past titles, there's also a lot of innovation that makes Shovel Knight a truly standout game as opposed to just a knockoff. The boss battles are tense and thrilling, though you may pull your hair out during some of them.

vixMqXf.jpg

10. Titanfall ; You have to see it to believe it. But seriously, Titanfall is a very exciting FPS that makes you wish you could vault off walls in every game. The fluidity of going in and out of mechs, running up walls, and gunning down your foes will keep you anxious and alert the entire match. It's a bit sad to see the PC version kind of fall off the radar, but it is a good start for an interesting franchise.

This list may be heavily edited after the next Steam sale...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom