• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2016 - Voting Thread [Voting closed]

xviper

1. Overwatch ; greatest MP game of all time and i can see myself playing it through the whole generation
2. Forza Horizon 3 ; just when i thought nothing can top FH2, they proved me wrong, a masterpiece that worth buying an Xbox one alone for
3. Uncharted 4 ; a great game overall but could have been much better if they reduced the walking\climbing and focused more on the action like the first 3 games
4. Final Fantasy XV ; the most stunning graphics in an open world game and an amazing gameplay, a game that could have been a masterpiece but they fucked it up with the car mechanic and the recycled side quests
5. Salt and Sanctuary ; the best indie game of the year for me by far and the best Souls series clone
6. Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright ; great game
7. Monster Hunter Generations ; this game is so addictive that i got a headache for 3 days because of how amazing it is, it could have been higher on this list but it didn't introduced much new from MH4
8. Titanfall 2 ; a huge step back in the MP compared to the first game but the SP is the best FPS Single player after Halo and Bioshock
9. Dark souls 3 ; a decent game, a disgrace to the series, still fun though
10. Gears of War 4 ; it's a good game but it's still looks and plays like the first GOW(2006), MP is trash as always

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
lol @ more than half of the first page of voting not following the rules. Why not just wait and post your list once it's done?

AmuroChan

1. Uncharted 4 ; Fantastic capper to an amazing series. My second favorite Uncharted game behind UC2. Will miss these characters immensely. The epilogue was just perfect.

2. Legend of Heroes Trails of Cold Steel II ; LoH is one of my favorite JRPG franchises and it delivers again in Trails 2. An interesting plot that also boasts a great cast of characters. Love the old-school turn-based combat with some modern enhancements. It does well in just about most things I look for in a JRPG.

3. Ratchet & Clank ; Beautiful game that brought back a lot of nostalgia for me as I've played very little mascot games in recent years. Great job by Insomoniac for setting the bar very high for future 3D mascot games.

4. The Witness ; Whimsical and poignant. Certainly not a game for every gamer out there, but if you're into puzzle games you can't really get much better than The Witness.

5. Doom ; Perhaps my surprise of the year. Had low expectations going into the game, finished the game and had an absolute blast.

6. Battlefield I ; Really like the vignette style story-telling. Going back to WWI was absolutely the right call. Frostbite engine continues to impress technically.

7. Firewatch ; If not for the great performances of the two main characters, this probably wouldn't have made my list. Game started very strong, plot was intriguing. but the payoff at the end was a letdown IMO.

8. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare ; A well-done campaign that made me actually care about the characters, not something that COD campaigns are known for. I like the non-linear nature of the campaign and some of the outer space battles are quite fantastic.

9. Batman Telltale Series ; Loved the story and bravo to DC for allowing Telltale to take some creative liberties with a few of the characters. However, the engine continues to be an issue. The game crashed on me multiple times in Ep 5.

10. The Last Guardian ; Beautiful story and amazing soundtrack. Trico can be both the best and worst thing in the game. Really enjoyed my time with the game, but not without some frustration in between.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
1. Solitairica ; my most played game by far this year that's not some F2P mobile gacha thing (Brave Diggers this time). Just super solid mechanics, easy to learn, challenging. If my only complaint is that I want more, then I don't have much to complain about really.
2. Uncharted 4 ; best UC, and fitting end.
3. Steep ; just a blast to to play, far from perfect, but just so many lines and such a huge area to explore and carve up
4. SteamWorld Heist ; Great iOS game
5. Crashlands ; Fun game for mobile, lots to do, long (maybe too long) and good humor.
6. DOOM ; Fast, visceral, and fun.
7. Overwatch ; best team based shooter yet

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I'm aware but we have quite a while to finish voting. I have to come back and work on my list anyways as I finish games like Watch Dogs 2 and FFXV and TLG. I'll be posting full thoughts on all of them.

If your list still needs work then... why post it?

Man, tough year for me. I know pretty much my entire list but having gone back and replayed UC4, it's just a matter of narrowing down by top 3 between UC4, TLG and Hitman.

Gah, this will be hard.

Edit: lol, so many people not following the rules. All those disqualified ballots.

myco666

I don't get why people can't just write the ballots on text editor before posting them. You can work on them as long as you want that way and it reduces the possibility of your ballot staying incomplete.

It's like no one bothered to read the op

Happens every year lol.

1. Final Fantasy XV ; Was originally #2 on my list but after getting into it more this game is blowing me away. Great music, graphics, and story. I hope future final fantasy games are like this.

2. Dishonored 2 ; Fantastic sequel. Level design (missions 4 and 7) are possibly some of the best ever created in a game. I hope this series continues in the future--perfect stealth game.

3. Dragon Quest Builders ; I was hesitant to buy this since building games are not up my alley....but I'm so glad I did. Adding quests and a storyline to the building made this my surprise of the year.

4. World of Final Fantasy ; A great final fantasy spin off. Great battle system, music, and throwbacks to the main series. And Tama...the best :)

5. The Last Guardian ; Oh Trico...why do you have to be so real? What an amazing journey. Wasn't a huge fan of the puzzle gameplay but worth it for the story alone.

6. Dark Souls III ; My first dark souls game. The level design and gameplay are so much fun. I think I enjoyed Bloodborne more but still a great game.

7. I am Setsuna ; Classic JRPG that really did feel like the 90's Square games. Definitely a feel good nostalgic game

Explicit OP, mods postin' away, and still the violations. (Now watch and I forget to put the first line up with the name and semi-colon again hah!)

Almost done with my list - got one more game I'm tooling thru from the Steam sale to see where it lands.

If your list still needs work then... why post it?

Because I post a crazy amount in general and it popped up? I don't see at all why this is a big deal. In fact it's normal every year for large amounts of posters to edit their lists as time goes by.

1 comment added for now though to my list to make things easier

Wow. Let's do this. Gotta clear some backlog.

Subscribed.

Will edit later.

No "reserving" posts to hold your ballot later. This just clogs up the thread with wasted space and ensures that fewer people will actually see your list. Such posts will disqualify your ballot, even if edited in later.

6. The deadly tower of monsters
5. Let it Die
4. Aqua moto racing Utopia
3. The Last Guardian
2. Uncharted 4
1. Street Fighter V

Lack of arcade mode aside I enjoyed the game from day 1 and really appreciated getting Ingame currency the more I played to unlock new content. Bought 3 characters and 3 stages without paying a penny. The game has been incredibly well supported and it looks to continue in the year. Real fun times playing online and also versus with friends and family. Best SF since CvSNK 2001.

----

WIP. May add and amend list going forward.

1. Overwatch
2. Forza Horizon 3
3. Uncharted 4
4. Final Fantasy XV
5. Salt and Sanctuary
6. Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright
7. Monster Hunter Generations
8. Titanfall 2
9. Dark souls 3
10. Gears of War 4

1. Uncharted 4
2. Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II
3. Ratchet & Clank
4. The Witness
5. Doom
6. Battlefield I
7. Firewatch
8. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
9. Batman: Telltale Series
10. The Last Guardian

You must have at least one comment in your ballot or it may not be counted.

Aeana

New ports of games initially released in 2015 are allowed, ports of older games with no new content or significant enhancements are not.

What is the reasoning behind this? I assume this disqualifies the PC port of Dragon's Dogma (though it could be argued that the absolutely massive framerate improvement counts as a significant enhancement), but that game got significantly larger exposure due to that port.

cyber_ninja

1. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End; ND did an amazing job at concluding Nate's story. Perfect ending in my book.
2. Dark Souls 3; I love everything Soulsborne, so no comment.
3. Forza Horizon 3; amazing game with amazing DLC, I'm a sucker for snow.
4. The Last Guardian; Great game all around, I enjoyed it more than ICO and less than Shadow of Colossus.
5. Firewatch; Loved every second of this game, fingers crossed for a sequel.

Wingus

1. Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse ; Brings a ton of quality of life improvements on SMT4, the series continues to be dark and awesome as always with this installment.
2. Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA Colorful Sound and Future Tone ; TONS of songs makes this an amazing value package for fans of Hatsune Miku.
3. Bravely Second: End Layer ; Incredible battle system and job system that takes the best from FF5 and makes it its own.
4. Dragon Quest Builders ; Minecraft with more story focus. Very charming!
5. Rhythm Heaven Megamix ; A best of collection of rhythm minigames.
6. Dark Souls 3 ; More Souls, but still addictive as ever.
7. Uncharted 4 ; Fantastic closure to a top-notch action adventure.
8. Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest ; Fire Emblem being Fire Emblem.Very good stuff.
9. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II ; Falcom's story-oriented RPG series continues to be great, with awesome characters and world building.
10. Picross 3D: Round 2 ; The BEST Picross :)

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I had comments on mine, but honestly why the need for comments? If we are being real, most people won't read the comments anyways and just look at the lists.

What is the reasoning behind this? I assume this disqualifies the PC port of Dragon's Dogma (though it could be argued that the absolutely massive framerate improvement counts as a significant enhancement), but that game got significantly larger exposure due to that port.

..and this. It's a GOTY thread, having all these restrictions just doesn't make much sense. Dragon's Dogma port fundamentally makes the game better.

haikira

Do NOT post a ballot without any comments, as most people don't remember to come back and add them.

I appreciate the heads up, but i'll be obsessing over my list for the weeks to come =D

I've added one comment in the meantime however, so it doesn't raise any further concern.

Nestunt

The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine is not in the Google doc, but by reading the rules relative to DLC seems like it's eligible?

6. The deadly tower of monsters
5. Let it Die
4. Aqua moto racing Utopia
3. The Last Guardian
2. Uncharted 4
1. Street Fighter V

Lack of arcade mode aside I enjoyed the game from day 1 and really appreciated getting Ingame currency the more I played to unlock new content. Bought 3 characters and 3 stages without paying a penny. The game has been incredibly well supported and it looks to continue in the year. Real fun times playing online and also versus with friends and family. Best SF since CvSNK 2001.

----

WIP. May add and amend list going forward.

1. Overwatch
2. Forza Horizon 3
3. Uncharted 4
4. Final Fantasy XV
5. Salt and Sanctuary
6. Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright
7. Monster Hunter Generations
8. Titanfall 2
9. Dark souls 3
10. Gears of War 4

You must have at least one comment in your ballot or it may not be counted.

I might be misremembering the rules. I think we actually scrapped the "port rule" in favor of a re-release status column last year... I've added Dragon's Dogma as a re-release.

1. Uncharted 4 ; beautiful, mastercraft work amazing character
2. Doom ; a time and space anomaly. without any concession a pure blast from a lost era. Best fps in ages
3. Titanfall 2 ; insanely tight gameplay and pacing, batshit insane set pieces and incredibly deep systems. Must play
4. Ratchet & Clank ; beautiful, fun and took the best of 15 years of ratchet to reboot it to make the best one yet
5. Dishonored 2 ; probably the best art direction of the year
6. The Witcher 3 : Blood and Wine ; DLC that puts to shame 99% of AAA. Amazing experience, clever, original, adds a lot to the base game and offer tons of end game content
7. Hyperlight Drifter ; incredibly deep and ambitious, focused indie
8. Dark Souls 3 ; not as good as bloodborne last year but still amazing experience
9. Thumper ; audiosurf had too much DOOM this year. Thumper is unapologetic. It's insanely simple, efficient and addictive
10. Firewatch ; tour de force in writting and art direction.

Timely, I just started one of my writeups before seeing the thread, scary thing about this year is not only are there still games I'd like to squeeze in but some of the titles likely to make my list I've still got a fair amount of time left in, I spent a lot of this year being a penny pincher and playing the waiting game for sales, a mid year dry spell has left me with a late year deluge.

I could almost make an entire second list (or 11-20) of sequels from long running franchises that had great entries, stuff like Ratchet and Kirby for instance did really well at doing what they do best, but in this year even that ain't quite enough.

OP's sample "this is how to make beautiful posts" just reminded me how killer 2014 was: Tropical Freeze, Shovel Knight, Alien Isolation, Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros, Wolfenstein New Order...whew.

As good at this year has been, well it didn't have the FREEZE.

1. Furi ; Incredible game in every way. An absolutely epic action masterpiece that kills it on just about every conceivable level. Furi is off the charts when it comes to action gameplay, pacing, difficulty, art direction, character design, music, etc. The game is hard as hell but you’re given everything you need to succeed: a small but versatile set of moves that can counter and punish a wide variety of enemy attacks. If you stick to the game and refuse to give up, you’re rewarded with the immense satisfaction of overcoming a huge challenge. I feel like this game was made just for me. I only hope that I'll one day play something this good again.

2. Hyper Light Drifter ; It's not that rare to find an indie game inspired by Zelda, Metroid, Secret of Mana, etc. - that's getting to be pretty well-worn ground these days. What *is* surprising is to find a game that lives up to those inspirations while also carving out its own areas of unique excellence. Hyper Light Drifter distinguishes itself through its stunning visual design, meaty action gameplay, moody soundtrack, and hauntingly minimalist world building. Oozes atmosphere, fantastic art direction, great bosses… just an instant classic.

3. Overwatch ; Lots of fun, tons of style, very fresh and cool. This game marked my return to both PC gaming and multiplayer - I hadn't actively played any sort of online multiplayer game since Starsiege Tribes back in 1998. I love the characters here, the powers, and just the whole attitude of the game. D. Va, Symmetra, and Zenyatta have been my favorites. I've actually gotten POTG around 6 or 7 times as Symm! I do have to say that around level 50, I got a bit bored, and the slow content drip has killed some of my hype. I'll probably never again play the game with the same intensity that I had this past summer, but it was awesome while it lasted.

Menitta

1. Titanfall 2; This is the greatest shooter I've played in years. I'm more of a movement kinda guy so I put this above DOOM
2. Street Fighter 5; Launch issues aside this is one of the best fighting games I've ever played. It's so fun to play.
3. Pokken Tournament; My dream game. I've always wanted a Pokemon fighter that captures the spirit of the anime and this is it.
4. Overwatch; What an awesome happy game. Overwatch is pure joy in a video game.
5. Tom Clancy's The Division; The only reason this is on here is because of the setting and atmosphere. It's amazing. Walking around New York and just being there is fucking cool.
6. DOOM; I'm not too big on the original DOOM, but the new one is awesome. I hate some of the bosses but it's awesome.
7. The King of Fighters XIV; I never played much KOF but I love XIV. The transition to 3D was a little rough but I love playing it.
8. Forza Horizon 3; I hate racing games like this but I got Horizon 3 on a whim and I was very pleasantly surprised. It's really fun.
9. Pokemon Sun and Moon; Not my favourite Pokemon but the change in formula deserves a spot on my list. It's quite fun (probably should play more lol)
10. Ace Attorney Spirits of Justice; It's another Ace Attorney game. It's really good. Not much to say.

Late Flag

1. Darkest Dungeon ; If you had told me during the summer that something would beat out Dark Souls III for my GOTY, I would have doubted you. And yet here we are. The more I mulled this choice over, the more I realized that I absolutely loved every minute of Darkest Dungeon. I put more hours into this game than I did any other this year, and even the grindiness of the middle and late game never felt grindy. The combat was great, and the metagame of playing as an evil HR manager was pitch perfect. This title deserves at least a handful of first place votes.

2. Dark Souls III ; Fantastic end to a great franchise.

3. Dishonored 2 ; This is the game I'm playing currently. The level design is stellar, and I'm especially enjoying my NG+ run, which turns the whole game into a giant playground since you can mix and match powers between Emily and Corvo.

4. Doom ; This game didn't grab me the way it did some other folks, but there's no denying the nostalgia and old-school charm that it brings to the table.

Linkark07

Banned
1. Hitman; This game actually got me by surprise, if it wasn't because of that Amazon price error before release date. Anyways, game is superb. The developers did a good damn job at releasing sandbox maps in which they give you multiple ways for approach the targets. Can't wait for season 2.

2. DOOM; Doom was my first game ever played back in 92 so having to play another Doom game was something I had to do. Thankfully, despite the lack of people like Carmack or Romero, ID did a superb job at capturing again the feeling of the original.

3. Dark Souls 3; Same formula, hard difficulty, but still a game that is enjoyable and have a great replay value.

4. Fire Emblem Fates Conquest; yes, it is widely known the latest Fire Emblem entry is flawed and Conquest in particular has one of the worst video game stories of recent times but the gameplay... Damn, playing this on Lunatic Classic was quite an experience.

5. Grand Kingdom; another game that got me by surprise. Wasted too many hours on this one. Again, a flawed experience but enjoyable, and that's all that matters to me.

6. Overwatch; I have to admit, never expected Blizzard to make a good online FPS multiplayer. While it still has the same flaw as Dota2 or LoL (or any competitive team based game) of depending too much on good teammates, you can spend a great time playing the game.

7. 7th Dragon III Code: VFD; dungeon crawlers are one of my favorite genre. Sega did a great job at making this game. Nice classes and character design, a decent story and superb gameplay.

8. Pokemon Sun; gotta catch 'em all. After how bad X/Y were and how disappointing ORAS was, it is nice to see Gamefreak managed to do a good 3DS Pokemon game on the 3DS. Since B/W, it has been a while since I cared for human characters and the story in a Pokemon game. Gamefreak also bring many new stuff that help breeding pokemon more easy.

9. Witcher 3: Blood and Wine; CD Projekt Red never disappoints. Blood and Wine is the perfect conclusion to Geralt's story.

10. Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth; another great game here. While the story was mediocre, the gameplay was engaging and interesting.

Guess these are my picks for Game of the year of 2016.

As good at this year has been, well it didn't have the FREEZE.

DOOM is the FREEZE of the year for me, personally. A game that at first didn't appear to be anything special until you got your hands on it. Both are extremely finely crafted, don't really fit into AAA trends of the time, and, most importantly, have deep roots in timeless game design from the classic era.

I know enough from my Overwatch thread that, when it comes to anything revolving around lists, muthafuckas just will not even glance at the OP.

Elandyll

Banned
2.FInal fantasy XV; most hours I've spent on a game this year easily.
Just as a fyi, your FF XV entry is mispelled.

Work in progress

1. Uncharted 4 ; breathtaking visuals, top class voice acting, animations and solid gameplay, it's really the storytelling, once again, where Naughty Dog excels. Not so much the overall story, mind you, but really the relation between the characters which evolves organically and finds here a wonderful conclusion to an arc we didn't even know existed. Not without its faults (pacing and draging a bit) and falling short of the best entry in the series (UC2), UC4 is still, to me, this year's masterclass in Gaming with a capital G.

2. The Last Guardian ; Trico is a wonder, plain and simple. The relation you build with the great beast along the game will stay with you for a long time, having brought both times of pure joy, dread or sorrow. Many, many wonderful moments tug at the heart, and in spite of a problematic camera and wonky controls I had just a wonderful time playing.

3. Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak ; Homeworld is back baby, and I'm not sure if it's the nostalgia talking, but I had a blast playing this grounded version of my favorite RTS ever.

4. Deus Ex Mankind Divided ; Great story, visuals and gameplay, it could really have given UC4 a run for its money to me.... If the story had finished in an even remotely satisfactory way.

5. Ratchet & Clank ; Fun from beginning to end, and incredible visuals to boot, my favorite entry in the franchise so far.

6. Dragon Quest Builders ; I had as much fun playing it as my kids, and that's a lot. The mix RPG and Minecraft really works, and make it a much more interesting proposition for me.

7. Gravity Rush Remastered ; I cannot overstate how much fun I had playing this PS Vita remaster, or how impressed I was by the excellent gameplay, the colorful graphics (obviously a remaster though) and character design, or the absolute blast that the gravity mechanic is. One of my biggest surprise of 2016, both to how much fun it is, and the quality of the port.

8. Doom ; Technically impeccable, fun, really good feeling blasting demons around while some heavy metal plays... It just misses this little element of visceral dread to really make me feel in a Doom game.

9. Bound ; Incredible visuals, animation and score, it's the feels that really got me while playing. Excitement, Dread, Sadness, and many others, as you follow the inward journey of a pregnant woman pondering a very important decision while taking a stroll on the beach. Essential to play, but even moreso essential to experience.

10. Oxenfree ; great story with complex character relations, and a lot of incentives to keep playing and re-playing.

Honorable Mentions

X. Hitman ; So much freedom in how to approach your missions, the penultimate Stealth open ended game since Deus Ex.

X. Abzu ; Beautiful underwater game in the same line as Journey, but falling short of that masterpiece. Also very, very short.

X. No Man's Sky ; In spite of everything that's been said, and all the launch problems, I had a lot of fun with NMS for about 60+ hours. If everything Sean M. had talked about would have actually been in the game, we could be looking at the 2016 goty. Shame... Shame... Shame...

Wok

1. The Witness ; a mind-blowing puzzle game which introduces a non-verbal dialogue between the player and Jonathan Blow.
2. No Man's Sky ; an impressive technical performance for procedural generation.
3. Eternal Card Game; Hearthstone meets Magic the Gathering done right.
4. Ghost 1.0 ; a very polished and fresh metroidvania.
5. Sorcery! ; gamebooks done right.
6. Slayaway Camp ; reviving Sokoban through the use of dark humor.
7. Owlboy ; a wonderful experience, sadly too short.
8. Orwell ; not often can a game make you think about online privacy in a smart way.
9. Seasons after Fall ; a peaceful and relaxing experience.
10. The Warlock of Firetop Mountain ; gamebooks done right, but differently than with Sorcery!
11. Day of the Tentacle Remastered ; I would not have dared to play this game if the graphics had not been remastered, and I would have missed a ton of fun.
12. Furi ; a game about skills and boss fights, what else could one ask for?
13. INSIDE; amazing animations, amazing sounds, smart puzzle design, but weird story.
14. Cthulhu Realms ; for once, a card game as fun to play in solo as in duel, due to the good achievement system.
15. The Eyes of Ara ; a mix of Myst and The Room, and a very impressive work for a small team.

Honorable Mentions
x. Shenzhen I/O ; Zachtronics making yet another impossibly hard games for a niche daytime-engineers / nighttime-gamers.
x. Stephen's Sausage Roll ; a memorable game for various reasons.

Loudninja

1.Uncharted 4: A Thief's End; Fantastic SP and a great ending to the series,not to mention the awesome co-op

2.Dark Souls 3; As always the series is great,great bosses, tense gameplay always fun

3.No Man's Sky; To me this game has been amazing ,just hopping from planet to planet not knowing what you see next.

4.Batman Arkham VR; Playing this in VR was something special

I have to play more games being destroying my backlog this year lol

1. Hitman ; What's amazing is that behind the always online nonsense, connectivity issues at launch and muddled communication about the nature of the episodic content and who gets what, Io had crafted such a stunning return to form/new peak for the series that all of that hardly mattered. Incredible game.
2. Dark Souls III
3. Inside
4. Picross 3D: Round 2 ; Just pure enjoyment. The dual-colour mechanic is excellent.
5. Thumper
6. Enter the Gungeon ; RIYL video games
7. The Witness ; I have issues with this game, but they're largely extraneous to the core experience, and it did consume a period of my life during which I was madly scribbling on any scrap of paper I could find.

Panda Rin

1. Dark Souls 3 ; didn't think this one would stick at #1, but nothing else beats a refined Souls experience
2. The Last Guardian ; completely lived up to expectations for me, although they were tempered closer to realease. Magical.
3. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine ; Quality expansion with loads of content
4. Uncharted 4 ; Beautiful visuals
5. Stardew Valley
6. XCOM 2
7. DOOM
8. Dishonored 2
9. Rise of the Tomb Raider
10. Hitman

silva1991

1. The Last Guardian ; It has been a long wait, and despite it's tech issues it's still my favorite game of the year and lived up to my expectations.
2. Inside ; a very short, but powerful game. can't wait for their next game.
3. Ratchet and Clank ; I don't like to count remakes, but this is the first time I played this and it blew me away.
4. Fire Emblem Fates ; I didn't enjoy it as much as I enjoyed Awakening, but it's still great.
5. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ; if it weren't for it's issues it could have been my favorite this year.
6. Final Fantasy XV ; Maybe it doesn't live up to the insane Versus 13 hype, but on it's own merit it's a good game.
7. Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth ; I haven't played a Digimon RPG game since the PS1 days and this one hits the spot.
8. Tokyo Mirage Sessions ; one of the 3 surprises of the year. as good as Digimon Story.
9. Dark Souls 3 ; Souls is my favorite series of all time, but this one is pretty safe and doesn't offer much especially after Bloodborne.
10. Let It Die ; The third surprise of the year for me.

Hugstable

Banned
1. Dragon Quest 7 3DS ; I had been waiting for this game to finally get localized since it came out in Japan over 3 years ago. A remake of one of my most favorite RPG ever and I fell completely in love with the remake all over again. Really high quality remake and one of the best Dragon Quest experiences to be had along with DQ3 and DQ5. DQ7 is something special, and it deserves to be my Game of the year in a year with a crap ton of amazing games.

2. Dark Souls 3 ; Loved the challenge and variety in new areas. Love how it continued more with Dark Souls 1 (my favorite in the series) lore. Really enjoy the customization in the mainline souls games, makes for fun builds switching between sword and shield, big ass sword, or magic builds. Plus the bosses were good, daaaamn good

3. Doom ; This one is a no brainer, a return to form for Doom and one of the best updates of an old series/formula I've seen in awhile. RIP AND TEAR

4. Kirby: Planet Robobot ; I love Kirby, an Robobot is one of the greatest mainline Kirby games to ever exist, sitting up there with Superstar and Dreamland 2 as my favorite. The Robobot added so much variety to the game.

5. Inside ; Probably one of my more favorite stories of the year in that they convey the story through the environment and atmosphere rather than words and dialogue. Such a creepy game, hard to talk about it much without spoiling anything

6. Titanfall 2 ; Purely for the campaign, it was just too good to be able to pass up on GOTY list. Game starts a bit slow, but once you get like to 3rd-4th level is really picks up and becomes something special.

7. Forza Horizon 3 ; My first real Horizon game and really my first time getting into an open world racer. Pure amazing. One of my most favorite racing games in a damn long time, up there with GT3 and GT4 for me in terms of how addicted I got and how much I love the game. Love being able to tune cars the way I like, plus the game is beautiful on both Xbox and PC

8. Pokemon Sun ; Pokemon is love, Pokemon is life

9. Superhot ; SUPERHOT is the most innovative shooter I've played in Years

10. Ratchet and Clank ; Amazing clean look, wasn't too big on the humor, but was still the Ratchet and Clank gameplay that Ive always loved.

Gravity Rush and Valkyria Chronicles aren't eligible? Is it because there is no new content?

Anyway, I just need to play DQB and probably Nights of Azure before I finalize my list.

Edit: Never mind. Found them.

adj_noun

1. Tyranny ; Very nice choice, consequences and overall theme
2. Stardew Valley
3. Oxenfree
4. Final Fantasy XV
5. Quantum Break
6. Batman: the Telltale Series
7. Pony Island
8. Tricky Towers
9. Civilization VI
10. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Dalibor68

Banned
Is Rise of the Tomb Raider PC eligible? It was released Jan 28th but there's no x on PC on the spreadsheet

Also Dying Light: The following is missing

Top Bottom