• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helmholtz

I haven't heard his pre-GKMC stuff, but to me GKMC/TPAB/DAMN are much better than S80 and UU. I think TPAB is his strongest album, but I'm not going to lie I don't revisit it much.
Carti has to have one of the best ears for beats right now..

HiResDes

I haven't heard his pre-GKMC stuff, but to me GKMC/TPAB/DAMN are much better than S80 and UU. I think TPAB is his strongest album, but I'm not going to lie I don't revisit it much.
Carti has to have one of the best ears for beats right now..
Overly Dedicated is underrated, Ignorance is Bliss is single handedly more powerful than all of Damn combined.

Helmholtz

Overly Dedicated is underrated, Ignorance is Bliss is single handedly more powerful than all of Damn combined.
Well I'm sold, I'll check that out soon. I heard the heart part 2 back when the new one dropped and liked it.
Its between Lust/Pride/Fear. I got to give Duckworth more listens. That's a lot of shit to digest.

I also really like YAH.

Outside of Loyalty/Love/GOD and maaaaaaaaaaybe XXX, I think I love just about every track.
When Duckworth comes on... damn. Great beat and I like storytelling Kendrick best. Whether or not the anecdote is 100% true? Seems too perfect to be true, but maybe it's based on loose experiences.

The beat on Location off Carti is one of the best opening beats I've heard in some time.

Koozek

Carti has some really cool, dreamy beats (s/o to the FFVIII sample), but man, they really go to waste more often than not. Maybe a third of the whole playlist Des posted of Carti's loosies was nice, the rest was mostly trash. Thugga would've killed some of these beats.

Gotta be honest, I'm kinda done with worthless rappers wasting this new era of fire 16/32-bit JRPG hip-hop beats
JRPG-like sounds/harmonies is actually something I've been noticing in a lot of this new wave of rappers/producers. I think the first time I realized this was probably London on da Track/Wheezy's Thugga joints like on Barter 6 (still the best Thugga album, btw). Must be all these young producers growing up with 90's games/Anime, see Azizi Gibson (the Japanese narrator on his album is an actual Anime voice-actress), Uzi, Carti & Co. Some straight-up using sound-effects from Zelda, FF, SF etc. (Rustie, Azizi, Hamza, Ye, Frank).

Weebs era now.

fLms3Cp.gif

not addressing gaf-hop here but doesn't it feel like people want kendrick to be the GOAT so badly rather than just releasing some good ass hip-hop.. people out there can't even give the new album a full listen before jumping on this idea of some heavy-hitting life-altering statement-making DOUBLE ALBUM EXPERIENCE he will rise again shit. like this album has been out for 10 min and we're already talking about the next release, maybe this all has to do with the way we vacuum releases

vibing with the new album fwiw

Helmholtz

not addressing gaf-hop here but doesn't it feel like people want kendrick to be the GOAT so badly rather than just releasing some good ass hip-hop.. people out there can't even give the new album a full listen before jumping on this idea of some heavy-hitting life-altering statement-making DOUBLE ALBUM EXPERIENCE he will rise again shit. like this album has been out for 10 min and we're already talking about the next release, maybe this all has to do with the way we vacuum releases

I kind of feel like a lot of people aren't enjoying the whole album as much as they were hoping for, so they're holding out for a more enjoyable experience. They're going to be disappointed though. As good as the guy is I kind of doubt he made two albums considering the quality of this one.

HiResDes

I can usually tell if an album is gonna grow on me, listened to the album three times through now and umm yeah I feel like if a random bandcamp rapper came out with this shit people wouldn't even bother giving in so many playbacks or the benefit of the doubt. It's grossly uneven, I mean some absolute dogshit songs placed some of his best work without any real method or reason. He's always had a couple of stinkers but usually those stinkers still had a place within the larger concept. I'm fine with him going for something lower key and less heavy feeling conceptually but the fat then needs to be trimmed.

Catvoca

Banned
I kind of feel like a lot of people aren't enjoying the whole album as much as they were hoping for, so they're holding out for a more enjoyable experience. They're going to be disappointed though. As good as the guy is I kind of doubt he made two albums considering the quality of this one.

It's that MGSV thing of "I don't like this as much as I thought I would, there must be more to it".

Squalor

That is exactly what's happening in the official thread.

People looked at me sideways for thinking "ELEMENT." and "LOYALTY." and "LOVE." are pretty bad songs.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
I can usually tell if an album is gonna grow on me, listened to the album three times through now and umm yeah I feel like if a random bandcamp rapper came out with this shit people wouldn't even bother giving in so many playbacks or the benefit of the doubt. It's grossly uneven, I mean some absolute dogshit songs placed some of his best work without any real method or reason. He's always had a couple of stinkers but usually those stinkers still had a place within the larger concept. I'm fine with him going for something lower key and less heavy feeling conceptually but the fat then needs to be trimmed.
I mean, that's how I feel about much of Kanye's work, so I get being suspicious of people overrating albums based on track record, but I genuinely find DAMN. really interesting. It's not at all what I expected.

LOVE. is the only track where I feel like I'm waiting for it to end as soon as it starts at the moment. Can't act like I don't fuck with LOYALTY. it's nothing groundbreaking lyrically but it sounds great.

Fans are losing their minds with this double album stuff though. I think there's plenty to unpack in DAMN. but they've gone waaaay off the rails instead of just engaging with the material we're given.

Pride and Fear top tier Kendrick, the former being in a sound I never expected from him.

Koozek

Man, still haven't heard DAMN and it's hilarious reading all your descriptions and imagining what songs like LOVE and Loyalty sound like, lol. LOVE (or was it LUST?) has to be like something from The Love Below, I assume?

if a random soundcloud/bandcamp rapper came out with this we'd have 400 anime gifs in this thread already

and then nobody would talk about it a week later

That's just Kendrick and TDE reaching peak corniness with their releases, trying to make everything an "event" or some shit because Top loves the attention. I mean, if it's a double-album I'll be there
because I paid for it
and I only really care about the music but it's a bit tiring.

FZZ

Banned
fam my headphones broke

Been using the monoprice cans I got from when they were on sale way back for like 2 and a half years

:/

any good recommendations that come in at an affordable price?

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
fam my headphones broke

Been using the monoprice cans I got from when they were on sale way back for like 2 and a half years

Superlux HD668B are ridiculous for price to quality ratio. Got two pairs in my house. No good for out the house though cus they bleed like hell.
I kinda was. So, does it? Haven't heard it yet.
GKMC is more overtly religious than DAMN. Damn is broadly spiritual and personal through a Christian lense but you're not gonna have to stop for a prayer skit.

LionPride

Banned
I kinda was. So, does it? Haven't heard it yet.
It's subtle, it still does talk about Christ, but it ain't three gospel songs ya know? It's still a Kendrick album.

I liked Coloring Book, I don't think it was too churchy, but Damn isn't like Coloring Book

Listened through DAMN a few times. Doubt I'll ever go back to it after a week just like TPaB. GKMC, on the other hand, I still regularly listen to.

fam my headphones broke

I use AT-M50x headphones and they're quite nice. I got mine during a sale though so, they might be on the higher side.

Koozek

It's subtle, it still does talk about Christ, but it ain't three gospel songs ya know? It's still a Kendrick album.

I liked Coloring Book, I don't think it was too churchy, but Damn isn't like Coloring Book
I see. Yeah, it didn't bother me on Coloring Book either, strangely. I have more problems with the lyrical content, I think, not necessarily with Gospel-y sound itself. I know this is a really complex topic and I don't really have the time to delve deeper, but it irks me if, for example, T.I. on the last Drink Champs episode talks about political activism and whatnot, but then also preaches to - and I'm paraphrasing - "let God handle everything for you because everytime I tried to take something in my own hand it didn't work out as well as when God does", which means what? Don't try to do anything yourself and wait for... miracles to change this fucking status-quo in the US? How does this help the black community in times like these? I don't know, maybe I took it at face value or misunderstood the context, and it was just some kind of generic wise saying meaning to "have faith" and not actually that you shouldn't take matters in your own hands?

It's that MGSV thing of "I don't like this as much as I thought I would, there must be more to it".

Too real.

Anyway, did 3 listens last night, one this morning. The only big misfires, to me, are LOVE and GOD. Some of these are top tier Kendrick (DNA, LUST, FEAR, DUCKWORTH), some others are good (YAH, ELEMENT, FEEL, PRIDE, XXX), and the other 2 are take it or leave it (LOYALTY, HUMBLE). I mostly appreciate the project for those moments where its pushing unease and anxiety to the forefront, and the weird motifs that run throughout which make the brighter tracks feel like a front.

It's not profound in the way GKMC and TPAB were, but I'm ok with that. Neither was my AOTY, so I wasn't expecting to be blown away here. Not expecting a double release either, but I wouldn't put it past TDE with all of Top's dumb social media antics.

Trey

this is how modern listeners dissect music, we have this exact same take every time a major release drops.

Man, still haven't heard DAMN and it's hilarious reading all your descriptions and imagining what songs like LOVE and Loyalty sound like, lol. LOVE (or was it LUST?) has to be like something from The Love Below, I assume?

Lust had to pay out some royalties to Andre 3000 and Prince just on principle alone.

I don't think a second album is coming. They might just be running with that to quell some criticisms but I doubt he's pulling a Future.

This album would've been far better off as an EP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom