• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bacon

This album has both the best and worst of Kendrick Lamar. I can't call it.

Yeah I don't even know. I fuck with about half the songs, the other half I'm not sure about yet.

DNA, element, pride, feel, fear, xxx, and duckworth are all dope as fuck though I know that much for sure.

Dereck

giphy.gif

First song on this new Carti

Bacon

Humble is super out of place on this album too. I thought after hearing the album it would make sense like backstreet freestyle but nah it's super jarring after Pride.

Anyway first impressions

DNA 🔥🔥🔥
YAH 🔥🔥🔥
ELEMENT 🔥🔥🔥
FEEL 🔥🔥🔥
LOYALTY 👎
PRIDE 🔥🔥🔥
HUMBLE 😎
LUST 🔥🔥🔥
LOVE 👎
XXX ⁉️
FEAR 🔥🔥🔥
GOD ⁉️
DUCKWORTH 🔥🔥🔥

Lots of additional vocals on lust, fear and a few other songs on the official release.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oh shit, Yachty just dropped the first two singles off his debut lp

Harley & Peekaboo ft Migos streaming now on Spotify/Apple Music

Love definitely goes in same trash bin as These Walls/Real/Poetic Justice/No Makeup.

Best love song kendrick's​ made remains untitled 06.

Edit: also going to expecting another album on sunday
m2nBjvT.jpg

HiiiLife

Can't see myself playing BLOOD, YAH and GOD too much....maybe HUMBLE

Love & Loyalty are aight with me.

Everything else 🔥🔥🔥

These Walls is an Auto skip every time. Just like Poetic Justice and No Makeup.

It's early but Lust might be one of my favorite Kendrick songs. I think that's the track BBNG produced too.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Just finished my first listen of Damn.

What I got from this album is that, apparently To Pimp A Butterfly ended up being more ambitious than even Kendrick was expecting. Don't get me wrong, there are some fucking bangers on here. DNA is a song of the year candidate. Loyalty and Love are pretty dope too. Then there's tracks like XXX and Fear that have some really good ideas to them.

But there's something about this that makes it feel like Kendrick got shook by TPAB. Yeah, it got praised by Pitchfork and Fandango and all us hip-hop heads but there was still your main young raps that didn't really fuck with it cause it was a funky jazzrap project in an age where Future, Thug, and Migos were doing shit with trap no one could dream of. DAMN gets me the feeling that Kendrick didn't really like how those guys weren't fucking with it.

What did those guys mostly fuck with? Section .80 & GKMC, so he gave us a album going back to that sound. But that's what gets me about it. Going back.

Think about it like this. Y'all remember how niggas trashed 808's when it came out for being auto-tuned crooning instead of being y'know, rap? Imagine if instead of following up 808s with MBDTF, Kanye went "Fuck it, lemme give these people the College Dropout shit they wanted." That would sound dope as fuck! But it wouldn't be the growth he needed.

This could've been Kenny's MBDTF moment and he settled for revisiting College Dropout. I'm giving this thing a buncha re-listens, but right now this feels like his weakest for sure.

I love the keys on the beat during the second half of the verses of These Walls. I wish the whole song sounded like that. Not a big fan of the track otherwise. It's not "Real" tier, but it's not a favorite either. "Poetic Justice" is just boring imo. Skip

"LOVE" is definitely a bottom tier track on the new album. Along with "GOD."

HiiiLife

Just got done listening to a Kendrick album where he uses different flows and voices, and there's logic sounding the same as ever with the most WOAT fan base on you tube

Just finished my first listen of Damn.

What I got from this album is that, apparently To Pimp A Butterfly ended up being more ambitious than even Kendrick was expecting. Don't get me wrong, there are some fucking bangers on here. DNA is a song of the year candidate. Loyalty and Love are pretty dope too. Then there's tracks like XXX and Fear that have some really good ideas to them.

But there's something about this that makes it feel like Kendrick got shook by TPAB. Yeah, it got praised by Pitchfork and Fandango and all us hip-hop heads but there was still your main young raps that didn't really fuck with it cause it was a funky jazzrap project in an age where Future, Thug, and Migos were doing shit with trap no one could dream of. DAMN gets me the feeling that Kendrick didn't really like how those guys weren't fucking with it.

What did those guys mostly fuck with? Section .80 & GKMC, so he gave us a album going back to that sound. But that's what gets me about it. Going back.

Think about it like this. Y'all remember how niggas trashed 808's when it came out for being auto-tuned crooning instead of being y'know, rap? Imagine if instead of following up 808s with MBDTF, Kanye went "Fuck it, lemme give these people the College Dropout shit they wanted." That would sound dope as fuck! But it wouldn't be the growth he needed.

This could've been Kenny's MBDTF moment and he settled for revisiting College Dropout. I'm giving this thing a buncha re-listens, but right now this feels like his weakest for sure.
Definitely sounds like something new and not going back to his old sound at all. Surprised that you got that from this.

Like, net saod I really like this as an anti response to TPAB.

From his post TPAB stuff I got the impression that Kendrick didnt want to get trapped by TPAB and be expected to continue with that sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom