• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmag

My only question since I'm waiting till later is U2 a sample?

Nah it's original. Bono's got like three lines, but I believe it's actually the rest of the band playing piano, bass and drums.

It's not the best track on the album but it's probably the most important in terms of political message, the lyric is pure fire. I feel on first listen it's kind of the nail the rest of the album is hanging off.

Dereck

DNA

tb4AFiV.gif

i mean obviously you can't be a rapper in this day and age and expect people to take you seriously without making some kind of political statement, but this is def a step back in pure ambition from TPAB, which i think was the right approach. instead of continuing trying to one up himself (and potentially succeeding btw), kenny just took a step back and breathed.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
First impressions are he's far more introspective and personal rather than going for a grand narrative this time. He goes pretty deep in, kinda depressing for much of it.

Production is smooth, psychedelic, reminds me of early Massive Attack and Tricky in spots in how thick the atmosphere is.

Yeah, this is a great album so far. I don't consider it GKMC TPAB caliber, but no other rap albums are.

It's a new direction for him, but I'm glad he did it.

Koozek

It's gonna get buried but I'm loving this new Goldlink. I only ever used his last stuff as background music but I was really listening to this one.
Worrrd. Been bumping it daily. His best. It's slept on here.

I don't really dabble in Korean hip hop but my friend recommended Live's EP the other day and I dig it, especially Know Me. Whoever they got for the video did great too.
Nice!

EDIT: Wait, Kenny leaked!?

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Pride is beautiful and so un-Kendrick.

I know nerds love to rank shit but right now I don't care, he's gone sideways and I'm so damn intrigued.

Edit: Trying to put my finger on what Pride reminds me of and it's Janelle Monae, can't remember the track though.

Cheddahz

Banned
new kendrick album sucks

go listen to the new hot sugar or actress (they're not rap albums, but at least they're actually good bodies of work)

remember when gambino made maggot brain for white people

theres something like that about this kendrick album but i cant put my finger on it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom