• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dereck

Y'all take this shit too seriously
They probably need a bit more chunes than frustration on their headtops ya know?

pyTEzxg.gif

Moonkid

Yeah, it was less memorable as the first one, but still an incredible soundtrack that worked so well in the game. Never beat the first NieR, but listened to the OST for months back then. One of the ��s.

The "THIS CANNOT CONTINUE"/"BECOME AS GODS" moment in Automata was one of the coolest ways I've heard music used in a game. The way the speech flowed into the song when the battle started, whew.
THIS CANNOT CONTINUE
vheiVi.gif

THIS CANNOT CONTINUE
vheiVi.gif

OOOOOOORAAAAA ZEEEEEERIIIIIII
vheiVi.gif

The first game's music actually got me to buy and play the game lol, that good. Used to listen to it endlessly too.

Koozek

If that were the case, then fucking Hanson, Next, and Cher would be the voice of mine. Drake's not the voice of a generation because his music is as vapid and by-the-numbers as crossover pop can be. I'm not going to deny I enjoy songs like Passionfruit, but there comes a point where I can't enjoy the song anymore largely because its overplayed and there's no real depth to it. Same case with Hotline Bling, Fake Love, Sneakin, and every other hot single Drake's had.

You're wrong to believe popularity instantly means he's the voice of a generation, because if so, Drake's the mouthpiece for a set of vapid, self-absorbed, relationship hunters who get mad when someone doesn't like their Instagram post or reply to them within 10 minutes. Drake. If anybody in the current crop of rappers is the voice of a generation, it'd be someone like Kendrick, someone who's actually created a work that speaks out on several important topics that have been catapulted into the limelight, or maybe Earl Sweatshirt, for talking about depression and what not in a candid way, or whomever. The closest thing Drake's done to doing something worthwhile is posting an Instagram message after the death of Alton Sterling. Drake's a fucking pop-star and he knows it. If popularity is the criterion for being called such, then by god, Mariah Carey is the voice of a generation, and so is Lady Gaga, Ariana Grande, Nicki Minaj, the Bee Gees, and more as they regularly get/got Number 1s. Oh, and by the way, Drake's been on the charts for 10 years, and he only has three number one singles, so he doesn't even qualify by your metric.
DAMN. Not wrong, though.

He actually posts in this thread, just scroll up a bit
jfmAil7.gif

CoolOff

DAMN.getting better reviews than TPAB.....

Pitchfork said that Love is better than Lust im dead

I mean, TPAB took me like 2-4 weeks to actually fully digest and appreciate, DAMN. is way more "immediate". I can totally see this affecting scores.

I think some of it is dickriding though, and I say that as a huge Kendrick-stan.

Helmholtz

I used to be a TPAB > GKMC guy but now that more time has passed I'd probably reverse that. DAMN. is almost certainly below both of them. GKMC is fucking amazing, honestly.

Exodust

Banned
GKMC => S.80 > UU > DAMN > TPAB

I like How Much A Dollar Cost and The Blacker The Berry more than most songs on DAMN, but overall TPAB as an album doesn't really flow that well to me. DAMN is not that great, but it's still good and I'll take it over TPAB. GKMC is definitely his best album IMO but Section.80 is my personal favorite.

Koozek

What does GKMC do and say that DAMN doesn't? I don't know how I'll feel in a few weeks, but I'd put them at least at the same level for now.

People don't want to talk about the fact that most people and most fans think GKMC is way better than the rest of Kendrick's albums, and it's really the only Kendrick album most people genuinely enjoy beginning to end. If he ever battled Drake this would be a very effective attack that most people (not most stans) would agree with.

Koozek

Okay sorry, guys. Just listened to GKMC again for the first time in a long while and yeah, it is better than DAMN.

People don't want to talk about the fact that most people and most fans think GKMC is way better than the rest of Kendrick's albums, and it's really the only Kendrick album most people genuinely enjoy beginning to end. If he ever battled Drake this would be a very effective attack that most people (not most stans) would agree with.
Having just listened to GKMC I realized the only time Drake has been on a classic album is his feature here, lol.

Facts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom