• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koozek

Troy Ave - Press Spray (Joe Budden, Mysonne Diss)

I know yall don't fuck with Troy but this beat got me wanting to bump All Eyez on Me. Phew

wow he actually went in
leon.png

beat is hard
please be joking please be joking please be joking

Helmholtz

Okay sorry, guys. Just listened to GKMC again for the first time in a long while and yeah, it is better than DAMN.
Yeah, I think since it's been out the longest people tend to forget just how amazingly good gkmc really is. Such variety in sounds and production, such great verses, so many classic tracks and great storytelling.

Always interesting how fans like albums like GKMC the most where as the artist themselves indicate that those are the albums that they made in order to appeal to radio/critics.

Same thing where Ye said Fantasy was critic bait.

Still early, but DAMN is a few levels above GKMC to me.

Eos

Always interesting how fans like albums like GKMC the most where as the artist themselves indicate that those are the albums that they made in order to appeal to radio/critics.

Stop it
GKMC was a album kdot wanted to make himself, not to appeal to specific people.

Stop it
GKMC was a album kdot wanted to make himself, not to appeal to specific people.

The production was a bit radio friendly at times, you have to admit. Very influenced by the style of Hip-Hop that was popular at the time.

I don't knock this against the album, though.

LionPride

Banned

GKMC being for radio makes sense, first studio album and all.

Playing the radio game=Poetic Justice and that's about it. I don't think GKMC was much of a compromise at all. It's largely a collection of live instrumentation in an era that was dominated (and still is) by trap drums/programming. It includes a 12 minute song, and multiple songs that are over 5 minutes long. And of course it was a concept album during a time when singles were (and still are) king.

DAMN. reminds me of GKMC in the sense that there are accessible songs mixed in, as if to satisfy mainstream rap ears and give Kendrick room to experiment more without losing anyone. There are a lot of people who typically keep 5-6 songs from a rap album, so this album is up their alley (DNA, Element, Loyalty, Humble, XXX and/or God). Whereas TPAB had maybe two songs those types of rap listeners enjoyed (King Kunta, Alright).

Hitta93

Banned
IIRC Section.80 was free/a mixtape before they started charging for it. I downloaded it for free from some site.

Not a big Kanye fan either, but MBDTF is by far Kanye's best album, radio friendly or not.

Hitta93

Banned
Playing the radio game=Poetic Justice and that's about it. I don't think GKMC was much of a compromise at all. It's largely a collection of live instrumentation in an era that was dominated (and still is) by trap drums/programming. It includes a 12 minute song, and multiple songs that are over 5 minutes long. And of course it was a concept album during a time when singles were (and still are) king.

DAMN. reminds me of GKMC in the sense that there are accessible songs mixed in, as if to satisfy mainstream rap ears and give Kendrick room to experiment more without losing anyone. There are a lot of people who typically keep 5-6 songs from a rap album, so this album is up their alley (DNA, Element, Loyalty, Humble, XXX and/or God). Whereas TPAB had maybe two songs those types of rap listeners enjoyed (King Kunta, Alright).
Fair assessment.

mooooose

i was really disappointed by DAMN on first listen, but after giving it the benefit of the doubt and more time to digest, i really enjoy it a lot

however while the concept of defining the human experience through emotions/topics is cool, most are poorly executed.

the beats are kinda boring on some songs like yah, element, and feel. alc didn't provide the fire for fear. i dunno. i guess you can't really deliver the depression bars on dope beats tho.

hearing kendrick on DNA and humble was a breath of fresh air and two of my favorite cuts.

it's hard to rank kendrick albums. TPAB is such an outlier (and also a class of its own). GKMC is special and ive got a lot of nostalgia for it, and section 80 was a good ass album (that hasn't aged well imo).

i do know one thing tho, kendrick's consistency has earned my interest in anything he does. i think if this project spent some more time in the oven it'd be better for it

mooooose

im also convinced TPAB was more ambitious than kendrick intended and that it would be impossible to continue down that route without alienating a lot of people

To be honest, I never got the "FLAME EMOJI BREH" comments for Fear either. It's the perfect backdrop for his introspective verses but people post like it's a banger for the whip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom