• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That Just Blaze watermark, that Ricky Rozay verse... W H E W

2011 was a dope ass year. Senior year freedom, Drake and The Weeknd music dropping HEAT constantly, Watch the Throne hype threads on KTT, going to Coachella with my good friends and seeing Kanye kill it (Arcade Fire and The National were dope as well obviously), my 2nd favorite movie of all time releasing (Tree of Life), the Vancouver Whitecaps playing their first year in Major League Soccer, and the Vancouver Canucks' cup run.

Goddamn.

If only the Canucks won the cup.

bless up to all of this (Tree of Life is definitely one of the GOATS). good times.

ovo season definitely was great up to If You're Reading This. but 2012 tho...maybe i'm biased because I went to OVO fest that year but that summer belonged to 2 Chainz and Drake. bitch you wasn't with me shooting in the gym was a god tier quotable too.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm surprised Stay Schemin doesn't have more views on YT and stuff. Even the video that's there is potato quality. It was also off Rich Forever which was seemingly big at the time.

It was kind of a moment, not the biggest moment, but a moment. One of Drake's clearest, most direct shots at a vet in the game. That and the Canada Dry shit made noise, but imagine these songs releasing nowadays when shit like Back 2 Back rang across the globe.

Even though we definitely had social media back then, the proportions stuff is blown to today is even greater.

EDIT: Yeah shooting in the gym line is so memorable even to this day but.. it doesn't feel like that song got it's due even though that was a moment.

Yeah, if that song had come out now in the instagram/meme generation that quotable would be on t shirts and hats bruv. 2012 isn't so long ago but a lot has changed since.

Suns Tirade was one of the best TDE albums so I'll check out that Kweku Collins after hearing that comparison.

hie

Lttp: Banco - Sir Michael Rocks.

I remember being lukewarm to the mixtape. I slept on him after that. I think this is great though.

I actually forgot how much I like the second half of Nat Love. Ghost, Death of A Salesman, 1:30 Curbside, The Outsiders

idk, both projects are dope.

Article of the year, MM is 👑, white on top of black:

"Eminem is the Greatest Rapper of All Time And You’re Too Pro-Black to Admit It."

https://medium.com/@SNOBHop/eminem-...-youre-too-pro-black-to-admit-it-df0d9c7688db

Genius.
Did you pick this event because it indirectly revolves around Jay-Z?

Nah, I love narratives like that/things when chance meetings or openings come together, so the blackout is textbook perfect.

Jay was a tie in because I thought the Clark Kent fact was fun.

Have you seen the get down. There's an episode that focuses on this event and how it ties into the hip hop movement

I know that episode exists, but I haven't seen the show, first time I heard about the blackout and Hip Hop's role in it was when I read this book:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0312425791/?tag=neogaf0e-20

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I've had enough convo, for 24
I picked you from across the room, pretty little thing dancing like go-go ay

CE2UZOI.gif

Hot with your body, hot with your clothes
Love all of that, wanna give me the pose

rukXAbb.gif

We're eating in 2017 brehs, so much tropical BBQ music (Unforgettable, Blem, Passionfruit, Body), countless bangers on top of that, some great downtempo songs sprinkled across these projects that are otherwise filled with bangers too, and shit even some decent boom bap with this Joey, and on parts of the Kenneth Lamar and Goldlink albums.

Koozek

I've had enough convo, for 24
I picked you from across the room, pretty little thing dancing like go-go ay

CE2UZOI.gif

Hot with your body, hot with your clothes
Love all of that, wanna give me the pose

rukXAbb.gif

We're eating in 2017 brehs, so much tropical BBQ music (Unforgettable, Blem, Passionfruit, Body), countless bangers on top of that, some great downtempo songs sprinkled across these projects that are otherwise filled with bangers too, and shit even some decent boom bap with this Joey, and on parts of the Kenneth Lamar and Goldlink albums.
If the lyrics aren't caps locked, I won't even bother googling the song, sry.

New oddisee was meh as you could be. Couple of good beats but shit was corny as fuck.
Yeah, he definitely is corny. But I like his production.

riotous

Banned

Drugs said:
All the crack and the drugs, make me feel, the way I feel
All the crack and the drugs.. drugs..
All the crack and the drugs, make me feel, the way I feel
All the crack and the drugs..

https://genius.com/Kool-keith-drugs-lyrics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uHIybJxiLk

Kool Keith needs to open up on this then.

Freebasin eighteen pounds of coke with Marvin Gaye
Put that on the table, let's parlay
With Smokey Robinson and Bootsy, lightin aluminum foil
Watch that crack pipe boil
With Richard Pryor we burned the house down gettin higher
Don't think I'm bluffin
Meet Tommy Lee Curtis, Keith Richards, Eddie Kingwards and David Ruffin
Rick James was in the kitchen lightin the flame
And Mousey's trapped with Cuba Gooding Sr
I don't want nobody to know my name
I kept glasses on it was a damn shame
Losin weight, fallin out in big arenas
The same guy who used to deal to me
Deals to Whitney and Bobby, meet Ike and Tina

riotous

Banned
Seen him live; Black Elvis era... came on stage like 2 hours late... cracked out of his mind lol.

Made fun of the white crowd, did a few songs, then bounced.

Bacon

I feel like I'm stuck in a hip hop rut right now a little bit. How do you guys typically find new albums to listen to?

I've been doing a combination of listening to the recs in here, going back to classic hip hop albums that I haven't listened to yet, and crawling through the top releases on bandcamp.

Any other suggestions?

small44

I feel like I'm stuck in a hip hop rut right now a little bit. How do you guys typically find new albums to listen to?

I've been doing a combination of listening to the recs in here, going back to classic hip hop albums that I haven't listened to yet, and crawling through the top releases on bandcamp.

Any other suggestions?

Reaction channel,featured artists for artists I already know,hasitleaked website and warez forums.

Tokubetsu

Any other suggestions?

soundcloud.com
hit play
let the wind take you

Damn, Sonic Rush OST is pretty damn good.

22 games into the Sonic listening session.

Keith is certainly one of the greats; one of the most prolific that's for sure.

His prolific nature....doesn't that kind of impede the quality of his catalog? I can't imagine releasing so many albums and keeping up the consistency would be likely, but I'm sure this means he can release more albums that have a chance of being good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom