• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vorheez

But yeah Issa is solid although I prefer Savage Mode a lot more. Not disappointed.
Savage Mode wasn't even that good though and I agree that it's a lot better than Issa. What does that make Issa? Don't lie to yourself breh, it's ok to admit it's trash lol

Vorheez

Hot takes come first, you know how it works FZZ

I'm gonna keep listening to it while I'm in the gym tonight and see what I think after a few spins, but I'm not getting my hopes up

Regarding Issa, I think as a package, the sound feels a bit more developed, but in the process, it's lost some of the rawness and roughness that made Savage Mode well-liked.

I think people like 21 Savage because of how sparse and almost utilitarian the beats were on Savage Mode. The beats weren't the focus, but the grim vibe and the subject matter were. By using Autotune and having more polished beats, it's lost that.

I'm not the biggest fan of Savage so I have no idea if that's right or not, so feel free to tear me apart if I'm wrong.

Icolin

Banned
Regarding Issa, I think as a package, the sound feels a bit more developed, but in the process, it's lost some of the rawness and roughness that made Savage Mode well-liked.

I think people like 21 Savage because of how sparse and almost utilitarian the beats were on Savage Mode. The beats weren't the focus, but the grim vibe and the subject matter were. By using Autotune and having more polished beats, it's lost that.

I'm not the biggest fan of Savage so I have no idea if that's right or not, so feel free to tear me apart if I'm wrong.

I'd say this is pretty accurate.

Vorheez

Nice post Torre, you've summed up some of my feelings. I plan to elaborate on my opinion when I get home from the gym. It will be very similar to what you have contributed.

Ninja Dom

New today on Apple Music:

DJ Shadow EP - The Mountain Has Fallen (only 15 minutes long, has a track with Nas and one with Danny Brown)
JAY-Z - 4:44
Berner & Styles P - Vibes (Track with Schoolboy Q on this album)
21 Savage - Issa Album ("What's that tattoo on your forehead?" - "Issa Knife")

And for my UK GAF-Hop heads, the king is back:
K-Koke - Pure Koke volume 4

For those who don't know, K-Koke is a rapper who comes from Stonebridge NW London, which is a few miles from where I come from.

He did this amazing Fire In The Booth, 7 years ago.

Because of this he got signed to JAY-Z's Roc-Nation. Unfortunately he got arrested for attempted murder. He supposedly shot a man in the back with a shotgun at a London Underground station. The arrest lead to an end of his music career as he spent over 6 months in jail before being found not-guilty. Roc-Nation dropped him after the arrest.

BUT NOW WE HAVE PURE KOKE VOL 4!!! His continuation of his underground mixtapes that started before he first got signed.

https://itun.es/gb/MCK2kb

OG Kush

And for my UK GAF-Hop heads, the king is back:
K-Koke - Pure Koke volume 4

For those who don't know, K-Koke is a rapper who comes from Stonebridge NW London, which is a few miles from where I come from.

He did this amazing Fire In The Booth, 7 years ago.

Because of this he got signed to JAY-Z's Roc-Nation. Unfortunately he got arrested for attempted murder. He supposedly shot a man in the back with a shotgun at a London Underground station. The arrest lead to an end of his music career as he spent over 6 months in jail before being found not-guilty. Roc-Nation dropped him after the arrest.

BUT NOW WE HAVE PURE KOKE VOL 4!!! His continuation of his underground mixtapes that started before he first got signed.

https://itun.es/gb/MCK2kb

YES! I am gassed. Will it deliver though?!!!

Bank Account is easily the best song off ISSA after first listen

i got 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 M's in my bank account, in my bank account

tenor.gif

NandoGip

FaceTime on 21 Savage album is the worst song of this entire year.

Yeah, as with Carti the beats make 80% of the tracks.

Carti is at least unique and has a style. His flow is medodic and purposefully repetitive. He has a sound exclusive to him and is trying something different.

NOW, if you don't like him, that's completely fine, it's all subjective anyways.

21 Savage though, his appeal was the slow drawl flow with the evil as fuck lyrics and production. My first listen did not pick up any of that.

edit:

also what the fuck world do you live in if Amber Rose isn't a certified Dime wtf?!?!?!

It's like that meme of the pimply faced neckbeard saying a super model is ugly because their elbows are too pointy

PBY

Banned
21 Savage has some keepers, but man.

Dude is just an average trap rapper, he needs features over beats like this. Its okay.

NandoGip

21 Savage has some keepers, but man.

Dude is just an average trap rapper, he needs features over beats like this. Its okay.

I think he has a flow that could make some fire tracks, like the bangers off Savage Mode. He is going in the wrong direction though. What the fuck came into his mind to make relationship songs?!

PBY

Banned
I think he has a flow that could make some fire tracks, like the bangers off Savage Mode. He is going in the wrong direction though. What the fuck came into his mind to make relationship songs?!

I kind of find that contrast interesting, but the execution isn't great here yeah.

Koozek

A CONNIVER, A MISER, A PLUG DESPISER
A FINANCIAL ADVISOR, I MAKE YOU WISER
I DO STUNTS LIKE MACGYVER FOR MY SURVIVAL

tumblr_oja70xope91t0q9vwo1_500.gif

IF YOU A RIVAL, I TRICK YOU, WATCH YOUR TAG AND TITLE
I'M A SLIMER, A GRIMER, A REAL BIG-TIMER
TELLIN' LIES TO THE JUDGE WITH MY HAND ON THE BIBLE

giphy.gif

Still bumping. How the hell did Gucci deliver an AOTY in 2017?

NandoGip

Sooo now that the dust has settled a bit... 4:44 best rap album of the year? Too early to tell maybe.

I know there will be people saying DAMN >>>

But the history of 4:44 and it being the final chapter of the Elevator Trilogy (Beyonce/Solange/Jay) adds to the story of the album IMO

Also Jay's quintuple entendres have been missing from the rap game

HiResDes

Sooo now that the dust has settled a bit... 4:44 best rap album of the year? Too early to tell maybe.

But the history of 4:44 and it being the final chapter of the Elevator Trilogy (Beyonce/Solange/Jay) adds to the story of the album IMO

What if I suggested that maybe neither is the best rap album of the year?

Ninja Dom

giphy.gif

Yeah, the album is solid!!! METRO...metro...

The actual song 4:44 has amazing music. No ID excelled himself there for real.

T Dollarz

giphy.gif

Forreeeeaaallll

LionPride

Banned

Nigga what

No

No

No

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom