• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf, how am I supposed to slice a sandwich?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaulerX

I read thread title and clicked, ready to say you're allowed to cut your sandwich however you please.

Then I saw the pic ad changed my mind instantly. WTF? LMAO!

draetenth

You either don't cut a sandwich or you cut it so the pieces are symmetrical (diagonally from corner to corner or vertically).

TBH, I don't think I've ever even seen someone cut theirs horizontally before.

And hotdogs.

which is a sandwich

giphy.gif

Ryman

You're all wrong, you cut sandwiches into quadrants! One vertical slice. One horizontal slice. Simple and easy.

OP has it right, triangle cuts are for food on display, but really the corners are shitty and don't hold the food between the bread well. It gets even worse when you use a proper tall loaf and not a crappy square one.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is this a Europe vs US thing? Or other regional difference? I've never seen anyone cut a sandwich vertically yet many of you have never seen anyone cut horizontally. Got to be country based?

Is this a Europe vs US thing? Or other regional difference? I've never seen anyone cut a sandwich vertically yet many of you have never seen anyone cut horizontally. Got to be country based?

I assume it's based on the common types of bread in whichever countries. Nobody cuts a tall loaf or bloomer diagonally, it just doesn't make sense to.

Audioboxer

There comes a point when you're browsing GAF and you see a headline, followed by the topic having multiple pages and you just think "Oh GAF....". Then you have to click it anyway to see if there is GIFs and a member becoming a new GAF meme.

I love you GAF. I'm going to have a sandwich later.

holygeesus

Banned
That style of bread would look odd cut diagonally. OP is fine, although he could do with cutting into more even segments.

MikeDown

Banned
So I made a sandwich before a friend came over, and as usual, i sliced it across the middle. Anyway when my friend got here, I still hadn't eaten the sandwich, but he flipped out when he saw it. He said I cut it all wrong, but I told him I'd been slicing sandwiches like this all my life (from left to right). What say you, gaf? Is this wrong?

MnBz7LV.jpg
Listen here, that, I, I don't even, I can't even begin to describe how wrong that sandwich is cut. It is offensive to me on so many levels. This is how you properly cut and display a sandwich.

13914075_1389049701111179_6563674880041289029_o.jpg

13909061_1389049697777846_6779830660810889863_o.jpg

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Why would you even do this.

This. It's not a huge sandwich, I'm sure you can manage to hold it without chopping it in two. Or maybe we're just that manly here in Sweden. I've never seen anyone do this, we just eat our damn sandwiches. Open faced. Two slices of bread just seems like too much bread.

But if you have to do it, you obviously do it diagonally. I've seen that on TV.

Easier to hold without shit falling out.

You hold it horizontally and that doesn't happen. Not hard.

DavidDesu

Every single person I know irl cuts it horizontally, like the OP.

Same. Those saying vertically... What the fuck? Why would you cut into two overly long and narrow pieces, WHY!? So called "plain" bread in Scotland has longer rectangular slices so making a sandwich with that it's just the only sensible place to cut it in two. With square bread like this I'm 50/50, sometimes horizontal, sometimes diagonal. Never vertical, that's insanity ;)

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
NZH5w0W.png

Did you have to turn the whole thing around to get the lines to not even match up before taking the picture? ( )?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom