• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf how do you deal with noisy apartment neighbors

So this guy moved in next door to my apartment in January. Every day and night it has been nothing but screaming, loud music, and him banging on the walls. I honestly have no idea what is going on in there that causes him to do nothing but scream and bang in the wall but I can’t stand it. He does this all day and well into the early am. Should I call the police? I really don’t want to have to deal with the police. But I can’t fucking stand it anymore my girlfriend gets worried when she comes over at night and all she can hear is some guy blasting loud rap music and screaming and banging on walls.

wondermega

Ooof. I feel for ya man, that's a pain in the ass. I've been on both sides of the equation in the past (i had a ridiculously audio sensitive neighbor who would complain if I had that tv on at ANY volume, talked normal volume on a phone, etc). Likewise I have a friend who lives in a 1 bdrm downtown and is always drunk and blasting his music at 1am and receives numerous noise complaints and he doesn't care and his landlord apparently doesn't either.
Anyway you can at least try to talk to the dude, make friends with him (show up with a 6 pack to break bread) and see if he can get it in his head to be respectful. Beyond that.. complain to the landlord? Get ear plugs? Stay at your girl's place? DON'T call the cops unless as a last resort, as that can make things very uncomfortable for everyone down the road. Everyone needs to figure out how to coexist.

Kadayi

Banned
Further to what Rocket says, check the T&Cs of your building. There's probably a reasonable noise requirement in there. Had a noisy neighbour myself a few years back. Environmental health got involved and sent them a cease and desist letter and that sorted them out. Threat of a 5K fine plus the removal of any audiovisual equipment caused them to amend their ways pretty quick.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Give the landlord a chance to fix it first. My lease when I was renting had something about not being super loud. I had to complain once and my landlord fixed it.

Troy1

Neo Member
Anyway you can at least try to talk to the dude, make friends with him (show up with a 6 pack to break bread) and see if he can get it in his head to be respectful. Beyond that.. complain to the landlord? Get ear plugs? Stay at your girl's place? DON'T call the cops unless as a last resort, as that can make things very uncomfortable for everyone down the road. Everyone needs to figure out how to coexist.

This is solid advice, especially about not getting the cops involved unless it's absolutely needed.

Orpheum

Yeah try to talk to the guy first. I had two noise complaints in now 3 years sent to me by my landlord because my neighbour couldn't take it, i had friends over and we were admittedly too loud it was on my birthday. However i would never have seen an issue if my neighbour just rang real quick and asked me to turn it down a notch, i really do not have an issue with that.

Ever since then, the guy seems to hate me...dunno, maybe this could have been avoided i think his reaction to go straight to the landlord was a little overblown.

OH-MyCar

I agree with that. At that point they'll go one of two ways: "My neighbor is a nice guy and I don't want to keep him up" or "That guy won't do anything". If you determine they're the latter, after a long period of getting to know them, then the hell with them.

akuda

Kind of a mild response but... I have a loud neighbor, I think he sets his alarm to go off at 11 a.m. for some reason when he isn't home so it blares the same song everyday. It annoyed me until I realized turning the fan on cancels the sound out completely. Easier solution than I expected.

///PATRIOT

Banned
Further to what Rocket says, check the T&Cs of your building. There's probably a reasonable noise requirement in there. Had a noisy neighbour myself a few years back. Environmental health got involved and sent them a cease and desist letter and that sorted them out. Threat of a 5K fine plus the removal of any audiovisual equipment caused them to amend their ways pretty quick.
real heroes of society.

Catphish

I had a real bad experience with that at my last apartment: a fucking family of 8 living in a two-bedroom apartment.

Ultimately, I had to move, but it was worth it.

Pejo

Just had the same experience over the past few months. At first, I tried talking to the neighbors directly. That didn't work. Then I went to the landlord and he had a talk with them. It was fine for about a month then started back up again. I went to the landlord again and told him I'd be calling the police the next time it happened past 10PM. He had another talk with them and it mostly worked out ok. Ultimately though, I just got a new place and will be moving out shortly. Fuck those neighbors.

First group earlier this year was like a drug dealer situation [I live in a fantastic and expensive neighborhood, and don't know how that happened]. Reported them endlessly to the LO. They were directly across from me, so I would turn my porch light on, and put a note telling them to be quiet on my window. One night they were being annoying, but less than normal. A bit later cops were everywhere and they got kicked out. Evidently there was a pretty decent fight. That kept me up the entire night though.

Fast forward a few months and these people would smoke weed on their deck and talk at regular levels at night. I went out on the deck and calmy talked to them that everyone in my building was awake because it echos pretty loudly between our buildings. This happened on 3 times, and I decided not to report them because they frankly weren't being loud. They haven't been loud at all in ages thankfully.

lil puff

It happens. In my experiences with this, usually someone else complains first, and they will tend to ask the neighbors if everyone else is having the same problem.

Unless... you live in one of buildings where everyone is loud and rude. Like where I live at now. I'm used to it, but the kids that play in the hallways are very loud. They sound like horses. Now how the heck do I go up to a family (or families) and tell them their kids need to cool down? I don't even want to bring it up to the landlord. I'm not one of those that contacts their neighbors. I keep to myself.

Airola

Upstairs neighbors in our last apartment fought a lot during the days and fucked a lot during the nights. Especially the woman didn't hold anything back when she was screaming and crying, and the same with the sex too.

In the current apartment there was some young student girl who blasted her stereos so damn loud 3am at night. She did it for a few weeks and then other neighbors started to bang their walls like hell. I think she ended up living a couple of months. Not sure if she was forced to move or if she was supposed to be only a couple months here.

It's been pretty quiet since then. New neighbors downstairs have had noisy sex a few times.

The sex noises are always kinda weird for me. It's a weird mixture of being annoying, frustrating, interesting and titillating at the same time. I don't know if I should hate it or love it :D

lil puff

The last place I lived at, I think their bed was positioned right alongside my living room wall, and I would wonder WTH are they doing? S&M? Sometimes I would hear these huge thumps... you could not ignore it.

About banging on the wall. I would not do that. I once did that with a broom stick to the ceiling, and accidentally ended up with a hole in the ceiling that I had to explain to the landlord.

Corrik

The last place I lived at, I think their bed was positioned right alongside my living room wall, and I would wonder WTH are they doing? S&M? Sometimes I would hear these huge thumps... you could not ignore it.

About banging on the wall. I would not do that. I once did that with a broom stick to the ceiling, and accidentally ended up with a hole in the ceiling that I had to explain to the landlord.
lmfao that's like the funniest thing I have read all day.

Makariel

The sex noises are always kinda weird for me. It's a weird mixture of being annoying, frustrating, interesting and titillating at the same time. I don't know if I should hate it or love it :D
I think most people aren't aware just how loud they are during sex. One time I was in the corner cafe reading a book and heard two women talking fairly loud. I didn't understand what they said (not a language I could speak at the time), but one of them sounded familiar, I just couldn't figure out why. When it was time to head home I noticed one of them going the same direction, and when I saw her heading in my building but one floor further up it clicked...

Porcile

My next neighbour used to bang on my wall really hard when i would so much as fart a bit loudly. I wanted to smash up his shit with baseball bat when he did that. Motherfucking coward douchebag.

Clearly the manly thing to do would be polite ask him to be quiet.

highrider

Banned
Everyone that does that type of crap is usually a binge drinker at best. I would try talking first but the problem is they aren’t in their right mind when they act that way. The way I look at stuff like this, you pay to live there, this guy makes it unpleasant, fuck that. He’s pretty much fucking with your investment and devaluing your home. Don’t do these types any favors by trying to ‘ work it out man. ‘ Although I went through an awful situation living next to a metal head drunk so I’m probably on the more combative end of the spectrum 😂

You rent a house and get away from the fucking obnoxious neighbors. Privacy, a yard, and no smoking bullshit to deal with. Now that's how you make a living worthwhile.

Top Bottom