• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, I passed out at work today. A first. Memory is now "off" and I'm freaking out.

The nurse has told me to get to the Kaiser urgent care ASAP. On my way now.

Yeah, I look like a dumbass now, and I'm sorry if it's annoyed anybody. I mostly typed out the thread mostly as a way to see if I was okay on that front. I really didn't take into consideration how serious this could be. As some people pointed out, I thought maybe an appointment within the next couple of days would be sufficient. Another reason is the closest urgent care is a good 30 miles away, so I wasn't really looking forward to going all the way there for something that may not have been that serious.

Thanks for knocking some sense into me GAF.

Linkura

It's OK. Thanks for checking in with us and not going to the doctor. What do those dudes in white robes know, anyway?

s-98c30ff5103162bc90e678e99a3a3974e8265378.jpg

Fucking doctors.

:p

Yeah, I look like a dumbass now, and I'm sorry if it's annoyed anybody. I mostly typed out the thread mostly as a way to see if I was okay on that front. I really didn't take into consideration how serious this could be. As some people pointed out, I thought maybe an appointment within the next couple of days would be sufficient. Another reason is the closest urgent care is a good 30 miles away, so I wasn't really looking forward to going all the way there for something that may not have been that serious.

Thank fucking god. Please keep us posted.

riotous

Banned
If you tell the doctors you hit your head at work there is a good chance your insurance won't cover it and instead they will expect you to file a claim with whatever your States Labor and Industry organization is called.

Keep us posted OP.

Dr.Acula

Banned

30 miles? Also, have someone drive you, don't drive yourself.

Linkura

If you tell the doctors you hit your head at work there is a good chance your insurance won't cover it and instead they will expect you to file a claim with whatever your States Labor and Industry orvyis called.

Would be worker's compensation insurance paid for by the company. However, either way he should still go ASAP as it's going to be covered by someone.

Dude please go to the hospital. Im not going to say its anything serious, I dont want to fighten you. But for your own safety, please go to the hospital and get checked over by a professional.

Luminaire

Is there a non-urgent clinic you can go to in the morning?

Edit: Reading is hard.

DrBo42

Good man. Wishing for the best.

Oh man...

Glad you're headed to the doctor now. Hope it all goes well.

DrBo42

Is there a non-urgent clinic you can go to in the morning?

You don't tell someone with a possible head injury to wait until morning. Any loss of consciousness by itself is worth the trip and he's having or was having cognitive/memory issues and if I'm interpreting the OP right, reading issues (unsure if it was sight or comprehension).

shandy706

My memory sucks even without passing out, haha.

Be careful going to the doctor OP, but that is definitely what you need to do.

Can't imagine what it's like to pass out / faint. I've never even come close to it, so I wouldn't know what to expect.

Linkura

You don't tell someone with a possible head injury to wait until morning. Any loss of consciousness by itself is worth the trip and he's having or was having cognitive/memory issues and if I'm interpreting the OP right, reading issues (unsure if it was sight or comprehension).

Yup. This is how Natasha Richardson died.

Now that OP is going to the doctor, my o ly question is if this happened at work, why didn't employees/management step in. I know at my jobs if anyone passes out, it's an automatic emergency situation and 911 will be called.

Edit: I see they did, but went home instead of a doctor....

Go to the doctor. Seriously, GAF isn't qualified to give you medical advice beyond that.

I had a similar thing happen a few months back as a result of epilepsy. The vague memory is part of the post-ictal phase of seizures/strokes. It's awful and leaves you a dazed and confused mess for a while.

Edit: I now see that the OP is going to the hospital. Hopefully they'll be able to get help.

On my way home from Urgent Care (my sister drove me FYI). They did an EKG, blood sugar test, and CT Scan. All normal. The doctor was quick to think I was taking some kind of anxiety medicine. I wasn't, but I was JUST diagnosed with OCD on Monday so the doctor said "well it must've been that then!" Didn't feel particularly anxious at the time (I use to breeze through 4 hours of work no problem before). I like to think it's just that I NEED those 10 minute breaks at work to eat a little something and can't just gloss over that anymore. My mom is hypoglycemic and has diabetes so it's possible that might have an influence on me.

Aside from still having a mild headache (I'm getting something to eat now), I'm good.

Thanks for the concern and support GAF.

Trace

Banned
On my way home from Urgent Care (my sister drove me FYI). They did an EKG, blood sugar test, and CT Scan. All normal. The doctor was quick to think I was taking some kind of anxiety medicine. I wasn't, but I was JUST diagnosed with OCD on Monday so the doctor said "well it must've been that then!" Didn't feel particularly anxious at the time (I use to breeze through 4 hours of work no problem before). I like to think it's just that I NEED those 10 minute breaks at work to eat a little something and can't just gloss over that anymore. My mom is hypoglycemic and has diabetes so it's possible that might have an influence on me.

Aside from still having a mild headache (I'm getting something to eat now), I'm good.

Glad to hear you're ok. Brain stuff can be super serious at times and it's nice to see you escaped anything major.

TyrantII

Glad to hear you're ok. Brain stuff can be super serious at times and it's nice to see you escaped anything major.

Yup. Symptoms could just be a lack of food, or could be a dangerous and deadly brain clot.

Any time you pass out and then show signs of mental incapacity, get to a doctor asap. It might be nothing, but it could also save your life.

cryptic

This happened to my brother once. I punched him in the foot and he told me it vibrated up to his tooth. Obviously your groin pull vibrated up to your brain.

Once your groin is healed, everything will be fine.
Chinese medicine.

Megatron

Don't go to the er. All they will do is tell you to go see a doctor. Just go see a doctor. The er is basically just there to keep you alive. If you aren't dying they can't do much for you. They will prescribe you drugs and tell you to see a doctor and it will take three hours or more for this to happen.

Don't go to the er. All they will do is tell you to go see a doctor. Just go see a doctor. The er is basically just there to keep you alive. If you aren't dying they can't do much for you. They will prescribe you drugs and tell you to see a doctor and it will take three hours or more for this to happen.

This is ok advice for things not cardio/brain related but can easily lead to death in those cases. Rapid onset of neurological symptoms can be fatal quickly depending on the source.

DeathyBoy

Banned
We are literally getting to the point where someone is going to get shot or stabbed, and create a Gaf thread wondering if they should visit the ER...

DrBo42

Glad you went and your tests came back negative. Take care of yourself, Choppa.

Qvoth

might be a mini stroke attack, something similar happened to my dad like 2 years ago
he kept repeating the same questions/sentence when talking with someone, forget things that just happened etc

Meadows

Banned
It was a good idea for you to have gone to the ER, but these things happen from time to time and it's mostly nothing to worry about.

It could have been a number of things including stress, lack of sleep, low blood sugar, migraine, a virus or exhaustion.

If you find this is happening regularly then it's more concerning but sometimes these things just happen.

The memory thing is likely just some secondary anxiety that is affecting you. Get some rest and eat well and you should be back to normal soon.

If you experience any new symptoms or are worried then go to ER again or see your doctor.

stenbumling

Unconfirmed Member
We are literally getting to the point where someone is going to get shot or stabbed, and create a Gaf thread wondering if they should visit the ER...

"I just got stabbed and I'm bleeding out on the street, and a pretty girl walked by but I didn't say anything. How do I get the confidence to talk to pretty girls? Help me GAF"

SomTervo

Yeah this is exactly what's happened to me. Three faints over about 8 years, each a blend of stress/anxiety and low blood sugar and dehydration. I'm not long term hypoglycaemic or diabetes risked.

You'll be fine, just take care of yourself :)

Glad you seem OK.

I have passed out 3 times. 2 from heat stroke (basically dehydration) and once I believe because of stress. Always feel somewhat confused for a bit afterwards.

Since the stress one I changed my life a bit to minimise my stress levels as much as possible. Since then I havnt passed out and my waking dreams / night terrors dissapeared. Stress can fuck you up.

Alphahawk

This is horrible advice to tell someone who fainted and had memory problems in the same day. Yes, the ideal condition would be for a doctor to say your fine and just contact your primary care or something like that, but to ignore a potential medical emergency just to wait until the doctor's offices open is just dangerous.

DiscoJer

You're not wrong, but it's because the US health care system is getting more and more expensive.

It's literally between having your life ruined because of the debt incurred or possibly losing your life.

And if you are married, it could be a double whammy, losing your life and your spouse getting stuck with the bill. I recently read a local story about a woman whose husband was injured and had to get airlifted to the hospital, where he died. She was given a $40,000 bill.

nicanica

Glad you're okay OP.

Don't worry, after Netflix ruined him, you don't need to remember Danny Rand anymore.

And the Guardians of the Galaxy haven't done anything memorable in comics since 2011.

Nothing of value was lost.

I still had the cognitive awareness to scream that I didn't want an ambulance and to say the words, "I'm an adult and I have the right to refuse medical attention."

I never went to the ER about it. I never found out why it happened. Thankfully nothing came of it, but it was a terrifying experience made worse by the fact that I knew that I couldn't accept help due to medical expenses.

Sometimes when I encounter a thread like this I wonder if we should send teachers, engineers and doctors to help you raise your appalling standard of living to ours so you get a proper medical system and nobody need ever be a position of having to choose between paying a medical bill and eating.

Then I realise America already has the technology and the high standard of living. The failings are ideological. America was a victim of extreme right wing politics before Trump ever came down that stupid escalator.

Luminaire

I wasn't, I missed the part where he said he was on his way, hence my edit. I only saw the part where he said he didn't want to go due to it being 30 miles away and that he figured a drs visit in the next few days was fine. Hence why I asked if there was something closer, non-urgent, sooner as opposed to waiting days. Reread and saw I missed a part.

Glad he's ok.

It's always nice when these threads result in someone taking GAF's collective advice, instead of stubbornly arguing against it. Glad you're okay, Choppa.

Top Bottom