• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, I require your sagely advice re: new console / PC

What laptops are you you looking at?
Something thin and lite to take with you or DTR 's ?
These are 2 I've considered.

But with the 30 series they're going to come down in price shortly.

DESTROYA

Asus is pretty good and but fan noise is a bit loud.

They make a new HP Omen model with AMD cpu's and Nvidia GPU's end of Oct.

Like both but prefer the more understated looks of the HP.
Both are great choices

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I'm not really interested in a PS5 at the minute. Ideally I think I want a mid range PC / laptop to play my existing PC games and the Series X for next gen games. I already sub to Gamepass Ultimate which is paid up for another 10 months or so.

But that high end PC is so tempting.

you can get a nice laptop for around 1100 usd anything with a 1660ti or 2060 should do great with current games and really good with next gen stuff (save ray tracing).

Could always get that and keep Xbox order to play in the big screen. Big bonus for a laptop and Xbox lots of the saves will transfer if you play game pass stuff.

Pc gaming is all about the tweaking and troubleshooting. You’re paying for the extra detail and graphics potential with your time.

Personally I don’t find it worth it anymore but I might change my tune once cyberpunk comes out...
You know I got to say, in all my time pc gaming, I have only had one instance where I actually had to troubleshoot a game and it's because I was using experimental features. When I see statements like yours, I question the intelligent of the user. Keeping your software, drivers updated and being within recommended specs is all you need to do to get the fullest experience 99% of the time. The other 1% you find other users who have suffered the same problem as you and implement whatever fix worked for them.

Maybe a decade ago, trouble shooting was more common but things have changed. I buy game, I check the resolution, turn up to max settings, adjust a few settings if I'm not above 60fps and maybe rebind a couple of keys. That's what pc gaming is like.

What bullshit world do you people live in where you have nothing but problems? Not even understanding the basics of a computer is my guess.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

If you can't get a desktop PC then just grab whatever console has the games on it you want to play. Do not get a laptop, it'll cost 10 times more than a console and run games at 1/4 of the speed.
Are you insane ? You can get a very high end laptop for under $1500 - $2000
Hate when people purposely lie about shit that they have no idea about .
Last time I checked next gen consoles are $500 do the math.
I’ll need receipts about consoles being 4 times faster and not just words from your ass.
Did you also miss the part where OP said money is not a issue.

Another day, another chance for me to post on GAF about how gaming laptops only exist to extract money from wealthy people.

Yeah because you can easily take desktops with you on the road or traveling :pie_eyeroll:
Not all people just use “gaming“ laptops to game on , many people need them for work that need a powerful GPU for 3D modeling and simulations.
It’s a good thing no one really believes this garbage hot take since “gaming” laptops have been gaining popularity for years.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

For anyone who is an enthusiast about gaming, has the money and wants to play games in the best possible way I will always recommend PC gaming. It's just how it is.

You've had your experience and you can truly answer if it was enough to put you off PC gaming.

If you are concerned I'd recommend either buying pre built, or buying all the parts from the same store so they can help if anything goes wrong. I got a bundle (motherboard, CPU, ram, cooler) and the store will sort out any faults for 3 years which is great. I know it may not be ideal, but it's the only thing I can suggest that would solve your problem to an extent.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Our Lord and savior has the answer for you:

AfTPYLO.jpg

You know I got to say, in all my time pc gaming, I have only had one instance where I actually had to troubleshoot a game and it's because I was using experimental features. When I see statements like yours, I question the intelligent of the user. Keeping your software, drivers updated and being within recommended specs is all you need to do to get the fullest experience 99% of the time. The other 1% you find other users who have suffered the same problem as you and implement whatever fix worked for them.

Maybe a decade ago, trouble shooting was more common but things have changed. I buy game, I check the resolution, turn up to max settings, adjust a few settings if I'm not above 60fps and maybe rebind a couple of keys. That's what pc gaming is like.

What bullshit world do you people live in where you have nothing but problems? Not even understanding the basics of a computer is my guess.

Wow condescending much?

My gaming pc ran crossfire which was a legitimate option 10 years ago when I built it. This might explain a lot for you about my experience with PC gaming.

Perhaps for myself all of these problems are fine and mostly not so difficult to deal with. However, my most recent gaming pc experience is through my brother who is not tech literate. I built him a gaming PC, 3900x, 2080ti and I still have to trouble shoot something for him approximately once a week at least. Sure if it was me I could figure these little things out for myself but I would personally rather just plug and play games on a console these days rather than spend the time tuning best settings for each game and worrying about updates causing issues or this game having certain controller support and that one not. I’m due an upgrade but probably not going to be building it as a gaming pc.

I think you’re being wilfully dismissive and even deliberately rude and elitist with no real causation all for the sake of making yourself sound like your the smartest guy in the room. You don’t know me or my situation and it’s the same for the other people in this thread yet you assume we’re morons because they don’t understand tech the way you do.

Believe it or not these things don’t come easily to everyone just like I’m sure there are things you’re not good at straight away and if you’re one of those people who are awesome at everything the first time they try then good for you stop being a douche about it.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Semi long story short, I had a high end gaming PC which gave me issues, and frustrated me to the point of selling it. By doing so I gave up close to 300 digital games, but I was annoyed enough to not be overly concerned about it at the time. I then bought a One X because Gamepass gave me access to a lot of my digital library without having to rebuy games. I also successfully pre-ordered a Series X, the idea being I sell the One X when it arrives.

However, I cannot tell a lie, I really miss my PC (the non frustrating parts) and, quite frankly, I'd like to play all of my old games again. But I sold my PC desk, chair, monitors and peripherals. I don't really have anywhere to put a desktop currently, without quite a bit of hassle. Maybe order a gaming laptop, instead?

So what do I do? Go all in on another desktop and cancel the Series X? Gaming laptop and cancel the Series X? Or desktop / laptop and keep the Series X? Doesn't help that it's a bad time to go PC with all of the new technology about to release. I imagine 20 series PC's will be getting a rather large discount in the near future.

Can't decide whether it would be better to get a mid level PC and play all big future titles on Series X, or go high end PC and cancel the Series X pre-order. Money is not really an issue.

Stop looking at how famous youtubers build their PC's, download the PDF of compatible hardware for the motherboard you're willing to buy, say Asus, and buy only test hardware.

I wanted to go 64-128GB RAM, but the PDF didn't show a combination support for more than 32GB and for only one kind/brand. Pretty happy with my PC, although I don't game on it which might be another story of problems.

Stop looking at how famous youtubers build their PC's, download the PDF of compatible hardware for the motherboard you're willing to buy, say Asus, and buy only test hardware.

I wanted to go 64-128GB RAM, but the PDF didn't show a combination support for more than 32GB and for only one kind/brand. Pretty happy with my PC, although I don't game on it which might be another story of problems.
Who said I look at famous you tubers?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Who said I look at famous you tubers?

I was saying it in a friendly way, as many slap the best parts possible and face problems due to them not being 100% compatible with the motherboard and some parts drain power from others.

Anyway, sorry for posting.

Last edited:

Ascend

I really miss my PC (the non frustrating parts) and, quite frankly, I'd like to play all of my old games again.
I then bought a One X because Gamepass gave me access to a lot of my digital library without having to rebuy games. I also successfully pre-ordered a Series X, the idea being I sell the One X when it arrives.
I think this pretty much sums it up...

If the main part of PC that annoyed you is the issues, then console is your best bet. That's the main strength of consoles. The hassle is mostly taken out of the equation.

For now it seems like the best course of action for you is to get the Series X with Game Pass. You play it for a while. If you still feel like you need to go to PC afterwards, you buy one, and keep the same service, since Game Pass is for PC also, and sell the Series X. If you're satisfied with the Series X, you just stick with, and get a PS5 or Switch in addition to it.

I went from PC to X360 to Xbox One + PC and back to PC only. The main reason I got the X360 was the games that I could not play on PC. But nowadays, pretty much everything is being released on PC, including multiple PlayStation exclusives.

I was saying it in a friendly way, as many slap the best parts possible and face problems due to them not being 100% compatible with the motherboard and some parts drain power from others.

Anyway, sorry for posting.
No apology necessary, just didn't understand that part.

I think this pretty much sums it up...

If the main part of PC that annoyed you is the issues, then console is your best bet. That's the main strength of consoles. The hassle is mostly taken out of the equation.

For now it seems like the best course of action for you is to get the Series X with Game Pass. You play it for a while. If you still feel like you need to go to PC afterwards, you buy one, and keep the same service, since Game Pass is for PC also, and sell the Series X. If you're satisfied with the Series X, you just stick with, and get a PS5 or Switch in addition to it.

I went from PC to X360 to Xbox One + PC and back to PC only. The main reason I got the X360 was the games that I could not play on PC. But nowadays, pretty much everything is being released on PC, including multiple PlayStation exclusives.
I should probably have stressed from the beginning, it's serious issues with PC gaming that really piss me off. Like the issue that eventually drove me around the bend after costing me a few hundred quid. Everyday issues, game won't start, drivers need updating, settings need adjusting, etc, not a problem. I'm far from a noob. I had a pretty carefree experience for more than a year with that build.

I miss the framerates more than anything and I'm not convinced the Series X will scratch that particular itch. Decisions, decisions.

Top Bottom