• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Indie Game Development Thread 2: High Res Work for Low Res Pay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since we're posting video, I recorded this of my action platformer game a couple days ago due to linking an outdated video in that Shovel Knight thread. This might look a little choppy if you don't view it at 60fps, because the game itself is running at a weird non-standard framerate (long story)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsQFvAI6rWg

Still got a lot of bugs and a handful of features yet to implement here, but I've found more interest in working on my adventure game, lately

I recorded a quick gameplay video on a whim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWr2BzDKySU&feature=youtu.be

The hard edits are to avoid showing some stuff I didn't think should be shown, since it's an area with some important story moments.

Love the sound design and atmosphere. Compared to Super Metroid, how big is the overall world, same, bigger, smaller?

Since we're posting video, I recorded this of my action platformer game a couple days ago due to linking an outdated video in that Shovel Knight thread. This might look a little choppy if you don't view it at 60fps, because the game itself is running at a weird non-standard framerate (long story)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsQFvAI6rWg

Still got a lot of bugs and a handful of features yet to implement here, but I've found more interest in working on my adventure game, lately

Where are those fire balls coming from?

We just released a new trailer of Power Hover, I think it took me three and half days to cut this, so many little things that just take time. But here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHUDlZ9sgJQ

BTW. The game is officially ready! Release should be before Christmas!

Game looks really cool, and some of the levels look intense, especially going through the lasers and riding on the tube thing with the green pillars spinning round it.

Where are those fire balls coming from?

The original idea for the game was to be sort of like Donkey Kong, so they're supposed to be from the dragon, acting in place of the barrels. You even see him spit fireballs once you reach the top of some towers.

Admittedly, they aren't especially clear. In the editor I set them up to be spit from little (invisible) dragon statues, but I don't know if that really makes that better.

I've been trying to figure out how to sort of force the player to fight some enemies. Late game enemies will have larger ranges and shorter tells, so it'll be harder to just run past them, but I still want there to be some points where the game says "no, you have to fight here" without putting limits on the controls that would weaken the combat or platforming.

So I'm giving some of the enemies keys to nearby gates. The beauty of this system is I can, for example, let the player find an alternate route or purchase extra keys in town, so there's still an element of player choice. Plus, unlike spawning a fence around the arena (a la Zelda) it feels more natural and permits the player to retreat if she feels so inclined.

http://giant.gfycat.com/UnfoldedBasicAlleycat.webm

edit: replaced the vid because I added lots of beautiful decorations.

Blizzard

Banned
Screenshot Saturday?! Well okay it's not a game screenshot, but it's a program output screenshot that relates to a game.

cmdlgsbq.png

Jobbs

Banned
I've been trying to figure out how to sort of force the player to fight some enemies. Late game enemies will have larger ranges and shorter tells, so it'll be harder to just run past them, but I still want there to be some points where the game says "no, you have to fight here" without putting limits on the controls that would weaken the combat or platforming.

So I'm giving some of the enemies keys to nearby gates. The beauty of this system is I can, for example, let the player find an alternate route or purchase extra keys in town, so there's still an element of player choice. Plus, unlike spawning a fence around the arena (a la Zelda) it feels more natural and permits the player to retreat if she feels so inclined.

Nice stuff. It's *a little* like a system I used to have in place in my game, which is now gone -- whereby gates in the level had to be opened by expending an energy resource that was gained by killing enemies. This was my answer to trying to make sure the player needed to engage lesser enemies, but ultimately I got rid of it for a few reasons (the various systems in the game just got too cluttered).. Depending on testing and stuff later I'd be open to trying it again, not sure yet. I like that you bothered with a key using animation. Most wouldn't. :)

Love the sound design and atmosphere. Compared to Super Metroid, how big is the overall world, same, bigger, smaller?

Thank you :) It's really hard to say given that all the things you'd use to measure what "size" means in a game are different, but if I had to guess I'd say it's comparable. Incidentally, large areas of my game are designed to be optional, off the critical path, so user play time for this reason and other reasons will probably vary dramatically.

So good :) Can't wait to get to play this. Tweeted about the clip :)

Many shanks :)

Nice stuff. It's *a little* like a system I used to have in place in my game, which is now gone -- whereby gates in the level had to be opened by expending an energy resource that was gained by killing enemies. This was my answer to trying to make sure the player needed to engage lesser enemies, but ultimately I got rid of it for a few reasons (the various systems in the game just got too cluttered).. Depending on testing and stuff later I'd be open to trying it again, not sure yet.

I totally remember that now that you mention it. I think I asked a while back if players can just run past most of the enemies and you said that they could, but that new players were not by default.

I feel stupid and lucky for coming up with this. I think I must have had Zelda on my mind when I first drew the HUD, so that's why there's been a key counter this whole time. Yet there was no greater plan. I had no idea when or how the keys would come into play in the game. For the past week or so I've been trying to figure out how to encourage combat and also where to use keys, when the whole time the answer for me was to combine those systems.

Jobbs

Banned
I totally remember that now that you mention it. I think I asked a while back if players can just run past most of the enemies and you said that they could, but that new players were not by default.

I feel stupid and lucky for coming up with this. I think I must have had Zelda on my mind when I first drew the HUD, so that's why there's been a key counter this whole time. Yet there was no greater plan. I had no idea when or how the keys would come into play in the game. For the past week or so I've been trying to figure out how to encourage combat and also where to use keys, when the whole time the answer for me was to combine those systems.

What about XP?

What about XP?

Still thinking about it. I don't even know that I'll have XP in any traditional sense. It'd be easy to fall into the trap of a singular currency that Souls popularized and spend it on stats, but I'm wary of appearing derivative. Right now, most of the intrinsic upgrading will be with the actual weapons you can find, not with stats and multipliers. So I guess another reward for combat is you can often loot the corpse's weapon.

Besides that, I don't think XP alone is a sufficient encouragement except to the more careful players. If a player figures out that he can just run past enemy X, he's going to try running past enemy Y. Then he gets into a rut and eventually he's detrimentally underdeveloped by the time forced combat with enemy Z comes along. That's my thought at least, which comes in large part to this being how I often play: circumventing combat instead of facing it.

Jobbs

Banned
Still thinking about it. I don't even know that I'll have XP in any traditional sense. It'd be easy to fall into the trap of a singular currency that Souls popularized and spend it on stats, but I'm wary of appearing derivative. Right now, most of the intrinsic upgrading will be with the actual weapons you can find, not with stats and multipliers. So I guess another reward for combat is you can often loot the corpse's weapon.

Besides that, I don't think XP alone is a sufficient encouragement except to the more careful players. If a player figures out that he can just run past enemy X, he's going to try running past enemy Y. Then he gets into a rut and eventually he's detrimentally underdeveloped by the time forced combat with enemy Z comes along. That's my thought at least, which comes in large part to this being how I often play: circumventing combat instead of facing it.

I'd love to have a game where enemies could pursue you doggedly and survival itself is the reason to kill them -- but for my game, as a side scroller, it's too hard for technical reasons -- because they're unable to navigate terrain they're not designed to be on and become stuck very easily. I hope to do this far better in the next game.

Maybe have XP or currency that's used to upgrade or level up individual weapons. That could be fun.

I'd love to have a game where enemies could pursue you doggedly and survival itself is the reason to kill them -- but for my game, as a side scroller, it's too hard for technical reasons -- because they're unable to navigate terrain they're not designed to be on and become stuck very easily. I hope to do this far better in the next game.

Maybe have XP or currency that's used to upgrade or level up individual weapons. That could be fun.

My weapons are impermanent and replaceable. They don't break down or anything, but I'm trying to design it so that you consistently find more powerful or more interesting weapons as you go along. Right now that's reinforced by a very limited inventory system—it's literally just the current weapon in hand and one alternate that you can hot swap. Upgrading and growing attached to weapons runs counter to this ethos. I think I'm currently in favor of brewing potions for stat boosts, which is why I've already made the check point locations be campfires with cauldrons set atop. Maybe upgrading weapons has a place in this system, but I don't see it.

One of the Saint's Row games (I want to say V but it may have been IV) had a special enemy that pursues you relentlessly. You trigger him by completing a couple of optional missions and it's a huge surprise to face against him since none of the other enemy types follow you indefinitely. He also had an absurdly large amount of HP. That was a really great experience for me.

I don't know how to make something like that work in a side scrolling game. The approach vectors are too limited and there are a lot of things to get tripped up on. Spelunky's ghost works pretty well, I suppose, but you don't really ever fight it.

I decided to get a bit slicker with my updates for Stage Presence, so here's my first dev diary video! It shows off the multiplayer mode for the first time and shows much the graphics have improved since we passed Greenlight. That said, I really hate making videos, it's so stressful and time consuming.

Click the image below to watch the video!

This is a good approach and doesn't feel forced on the player with a lock as you've mentioned like Zelda or other action games with pop up walls.

We are using a mechanism that employs downed enemies to traverse otherwise impassable areas. Several enemy types allow the player to climb into their structures once defeated, giving the player momentary OP-ness with different weapon and traversal abilities. This gives us the opportunity to let the player engage enemies with fun new pew pew abilities and covers our need for new gameplay elements.

Some areas will have them for fun and other areas will require them for progression but the nature of driving an OP mech, for example, should feel more like an opportunity that is fun to engage rather than a forced encounter. At least we hope.

This is a good approach and doesn't feel forced on the player with a lock as you've mentioned like Zelda or other action games with pop up walls.

We are using a mechanism that employs downed enemies to traverse otherwise impassable areas. Several enemy types allow the player to climb into their structures once defeated, giving the player momentary OP-ness with different weapon and traversal abilities. This gives us the opportunity to let the player engage enemies with fun new pew pew abilities and covers our need for new gameplay elements.

Some areas will have them for fun and other areas will require them for progression but the nature of driving an OP mech, for example, should feel more like an opportunity that is fun to engage rather than a forced encounter. At least we hope.

Thanks!

That sounds cool. Temporarily overpowering the player can be pretty rewarding if done right. I can't wait for you to show it off eventually!

So using a rather nice dungeon asset pack I got, I've started on messing about with prototyping the layout of a 'capture the flag' map. In this instance, I'm basically cribbing the basic layout of ctf_doublecross from TF2, but heavily modifying it to much better suit a top-down perspective. So far it it's basically floors and walls, mostly, but I'm gonna add props and whatnot later, which should hopefully spice things up a lot. Since the actual format of the 'game mode' is at most a 3v3 setup, the simplification is probably for the best. In this case, there are only two actual entry points to the flag area, but only one way out (since stuff like rocket-jumping is not possible and there's no underground area to slip into in order to make a break for it via the lower bridge), but the limited number of enemy team members means that it still should be relatively balanced.

Incidentally, I've reworked the actor controller so it can be controlled by both player control and AI, meaning pretty much every actor with a full moveset can easily be made playable with a change in a boolean variable, hence why Lilac here is being controlled when she was originally meant to just be an AI prototype character.

Dungeon_Doublecross.png

Dungeon_Doublecross_2.png

I recorded a quick gameplay video on a whim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWr2BzDKySU&feature=youtu.be

The hard edits are to avoid showing some stuff I didn't think should be shown, since it's an area with some important story moments.
Very nice, as usual. Wonderfully atmospheric. I love how the creepy humanoid guys are all chill until you have the 'key' and they pretty much flip out, makes them a lot creepier if you don't know when they'll actually be dangerous until they really get mad.

Interesting idea, arbitrary barriers are certainly common in combat-heavy games these days, this is more natural and flexible, certainly.

Thanks!

That sounds cool. Temporarily overpowering the player can be pretty rewarding if done right. I can't wait for you to show it off eventually!
Thanks! We should have our next vehicle rig implemented this coming week. One of the areas I want to showcase early is the cargo hold so I figured a Ripley style giant forklift mech (Aliens) complete with an arsenal of goodies fits in. I'm taking things a step further with vehicle sections and implementing an overspawn of enemies for maximum mayhem all the while keeping these segments minimally sustained to prevent oversaturation. I want them to be fun but not use them as a crutch or dwell on them for too long or too often. Making them feel like an organic extension of the main play is key, for me. Plus they have to make sense from a speed run perspective so they have to be intuitive to use right off the bat and serve a defined purpose that translates well to action on screen

At least I think that's how it goes. I really don't know what I'm doing XD

Jumplion

Dang, I've been quiet for a LONG time.

After that week of smashing at the keyboard, reorganizing the code, and developing that wave system, I lost my second wind and have been quiet for the past few weeks.

Now the motor's revving up again. The game is I'd say about 70% feature complete, so right now I've been looking at shaders and seeing what I can do about the look of the game. It's a bit annoying since shader coding isn't too well documented as far as I can tell, but i'm figuring things out slowly but surely.

But I got this thing from a friend of mine, so that's neat;

If anyone knows any resources on properly learning shader code, specifically in Unity, and particularly for 2D images, from scratch, I'd appreciate it.

We just got to 100% on greenlight for Super Helmets on Fire. Now we just have to wait to see when Valve decideds to release more greenlight games.
It helped a bunch when the publisher put the game in a bundle, as voting was pretty dead for us. It jumped massively, and after playing the demo people seem super positive, in fact we were at 38 positive percent votes while the rest was negatives, and now that changed to 58% positive since the bundle demo.

I decided to get a bit slicker with my updates for Stage Presence, so here's my first dev diary video! It shows off the multiplayer mode for the first time and shows much the graphics have improved since we passed Greenlight. That said, I really hate making videos, it's so stressful and time consuming.

Click the image below to watch the video!

Wow, that looks super imprssive!
The multi mode seem really original.

snarge

Hey Indie Gaf! I've been working, changing, and discarding prototypes for a really long time...but I've finally landed on one that I really really love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyxSa5IAC-w

It's a little side scrolling shooter with an emphasis on style and combos. Depending on how you look at it, it has slight-to-extremely heavy influences from Vlambeer, BulletStorm and Bayonetta / DmC. And maybe a little THPS?

But you're a snail.

What do you think? Is this anything?

Hey Indie Gaf! I've been working, changing, and discarding prototypes for a really long time...but I've finally landed on one that I really really love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyxSa5IAC-w

It's a little side scrolling shooter with an emphasis on style and combos. Depending on how you look at it, it has slight-to-extremely heavy influences from Vlambeer, BulletStorm and Bayonetta / DmC. And maybe a little THPS?

But you're a snail.

What do you think? Is this anything?

I like the basic flow, it reminds me more of Mighty No. 9. Bulletstorm had a really addictive arcade gameplay loop, so I'd like to see more stuff inspired by that.

kiguel182

So, I haven't posted in here in a while because college just takes away all my game making time but the work on my prototype has been going slow and steady.

More importantly, I finally got around to make some sort of devlog. I created a Tumblr where I'll be posting stuff about what I'm doing. If anyone is interested you can follow me here: http://fatbread.tumblr.com

And, to finish, here's the most recent level I've implemented (I have gates and stuff now!):

MyCFDaE.gif

The tool to make Gifs for OSX really doesn't hold a candle to GifCam. Sucks.

Jobbs

Banned
Doing kind of a different approach to animating a character that I think may be helpful.

First, as ever, I kinda drew some poses of the creature that I liked as a starting point.

CVirzOxUAAAKIjM.jpg

Now I'm breaking it down and drawing major body parts from different angles.

^ wip

A lot can be done with manipulation. If you give me a single pose, I can cut it up into parts and manipulate those parts quite a bit for a decent range of motion. The problem comes when you want to transition to poses that simply need new angles for some/all of the art. You can create a ton of motion just by changing the position of elements relative to eachother, and manipulating those elements (warping, cutting it up and collapsing for foreshortening, etc) but you can only go so far without more base art.

The hope with this approach is I'll have a library of body parts to draw from and manipulate into a greater range of poses, which hopefully will both increase the workflow and increase the quality of the outcome. The overhead of work may be higher but I think it'll pay off and make things easier and better.

I'll post more on this when I get further along.

9inchsamurai

Neo Member
Hello indie thread,

I've been a gigantic lurker on this forum for a long time (GAF is just so damn massive), but I wanted to post a link to the indie game my friend and I have been working on for a long time. The game is called Blessed Ones: The Magic Wolves and we just launched on Steam in Early Access right now, after a middling Greenlight experience in 2014. I don't even know how we got Greenlit, to be honest, because our votes were abysmal.

The game is a hardcore JRPG in a day and age when "hardcore RPG" means either randomly generated content or Panty Shots: The Game (it's neither of those things). Basically we took a lot of inspiration from Dragon Quest and Etrian Odyssey to make an RPG with skills and classes that have deep interactions, on top of a non-linear storyline with a light-hearted and whimsical tone.

(Apologies if this is too PR-sounding. NeoGAF is a really daunting community for me so I didn't know how to best make a post for my game.)

Made some cybernetic arms and clothing; I think it looks fairly good so far. Still can't get the hair looking right though. I think I just suck at hair.

HTBb.jpg
( in engine, UE4)

WTBb.jpg
(from maya)

Razlo

Made a clip showing off the combat in my game:

http://gfycat.com/PerfumedHomelyGoldenmantledgroundsquirrel

As you can see you have the ability to use your graffiti to set up traps. This only works with paint created using a substance called anima in the game. You also have a bat and knife by default but a lot of the enemies in the game will be hard to defeat just using physical attacks.

The addition of graffiti to combat is really creative.

Made some cybernetic arms and clothing; I think it looks fairly good so far.
Wow, that looks great. The hair with the helmet looks fine, but I do agree that the mohawk looks a bit off (probably just needs something to break up where it abruptly intersects his head). Maybe have some shadowing/ambient occlusion at the base of the hair?

Still, A++.

Jobbs

Banned
Made some cybernetic arms and clothing; I think it looks fairly good so far. Still can't get the hair looking right though. I think I just suck at hair.

The quality of the work is really high, and I'm impressed. I was curious if this is just an art exercise, or if it's something to be used in a project? Is it a main character? Are you looking for feedback?

Ken, that looks really cool! You're putting in a lot of work and it's showing off.

(Apologies if this is too PR-sounding. NeoGAF is a really daunting community for me so I didn't know how to best make a post for my game.)

Hey, don't worry about it. You'll get used to it eventually! Welcome to the thread.

The weekend was reasonably productive for me. Mostly I worked on plants you can harvest to brew potions with, and also smear/distortion effects. Compressed web video doesn't show it off very well but whatever. The last flower isn't supposed to look like anything in particular, so get your mind out of the gutter.

http://giant.gfycat.com/LastingAcademicAdder.webm

Jobbs

Banned
The weekend was reasonably productive for me. Mostly I worked on plants you can harvest to brew potions with, and also smear/distortion effects. Compressed web video doesn't show it off very well but whatever. The last flower isn't supposed to look like anything in particular, so get your mind out of the gutter.

Yeah, totally, I know, right?

It sure would be a shame if everyone here put the cockflower in their games.

Jobbs

Banned
"I set out to make a feminist game. At first I thought that meant putting tons of cocks in it. Someone explained things to me and I removed most of them... Most." -Matt White, 2015

neko.works

382.png

1st post about one of my upcoming games: Super Night Riders, a 3D arcade racing game inspired by 80's classics, mostly Hang-On from SEGA. My goal is to have a similar gameplay with modern visuals. The game is currently on Steam Greenlight.

Hi guys!

I've published a free playable demo of the game for Windows PCs, please check it out!
neko.works/u/snr_demo_1.zip

I'm really looking forward to the feedback on this demo, so please take the time to write about it:
- Is the game fun to play?
- Too difficult? Too easy?
- Does the game looks good visually? And the audio?
- Does the game work well on your PC?
- Any suggestions?
ect.

Thanks!

Pretty sure I've done all I can today without artwork for the current mech. He works well but I need my sprites to finish him off and get everything feeling/looking right. A few bugs that need to get solved but I'm waiting until I add the rest of his behaviors with animations in case I need to make sweeping changes.

Took some extra time to dive back in and rework some PC keybind customization and man, looking at old code it might as well have been written by someone else :p

Thankfully I comment well. I got hung up on my duplicate check for a moment for replacing keybinds. Simple fix but I can write much better code now, however, I won't since it works fine and is complete. No sense in trying to optimize when its non-gameplay specific and would offer no performance benefit.

Jobbs

Banned
Pretty sure I've done all I can today without artwork for the current mech. He works well but I need my sprites to finish him off and get everything feeling/looking right. A few bugs that need to get solved but I'm waiting until I add the rest of his behaviors with animations in case I need to make sweeping changes.

Took some extra time to dive back in and rework some PC keybind customization and man, looking at old code it might as well have been written by someone else :p

Thankfully I comment well. I got hung up on my duplicate check for a moment for replacing keybinds. Simple fix but I can write much better code now, however, I won't since it works fine and is complete. No sense in trying to optimize when its non-gameplay specific and would offer no performance benefit.

my scripting tends to be a disorganized stream of dumbass consciousness, and often hasn't been commented at all.

So I've had Shader Forge just sitting in my project for months but have never really utilised it.
Every time I attempt to go balls deep into toying with ideas I end up in "i have no idea what im doing" territory.
I've had some basic knowledge of cg (and ive got a very clear image of what i want) but never in a way that "get" it that i have a clear goal and understanding of where to start.
Any recommendations on a tutorials/courses that'll help me really understand/wrap my head around writing shaders? (Im gonna attempt to run through the nvidia courses again tonight)

JeffG

So I've had Shader Forge just sitting in my project for months but have never really utilised it.
Every time I attempt to go balls deep into toying with ideas I end up in "i have no idea what im doing" territory.
I've had some basic knowledge of cg (and ive got a very clear image of what i want) but never in a way that "get" it that i have a clear goal and understanding of where to start.
Any recommendations on a tutorials/courses that'll help me really understand/wrap my head around writing shaders? (Im gonna attempt to run through the nvidia courses again tonight)

The creator of Shader forge has some video's up

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7M-Wz4zK8oikt6ATcoTwBA

9inchsamurai

Neo Member
I've published a free playable demo of the game for Windows PCs, please check it out!
neko.works/u/snr_demo_1.zip

I'm really looking forward to the feedback on this demo, so please take the time to write about it:

I played this demo cause I liked the header image you made. I'm not really into this kind of game at all, so take that for what it is, but here's my feedback:

- The graphics and visual effects look pretty cool in motion.
- It was way too hard. I basically had to play completely perfectly to make it to the checkpoint, meaning I couldn't hit any other racers ever and had to be really on the ball about not running off the road for longer than like .5 seconds at a time.
- Are you bringing any kind of twist to this game genre? I really can't see people spending lots of money on something that (seems to be) just a re-skin and graphical upgrade of an 80s racing game.

ZServ

Ugh. I hate hitting snags in development. I also hate my inability to just put things down. Been meaning to start working on the look of the final area this week, but I've just been caught up in finishing up the loose ends of the one before it. It's a real problem.

Oh well. Back to writing. Neko, testing your build tomorrow, will post back with impressions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom