• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Indie Game Development Thread 2: High Res Work for Low Res Pay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boom!

vV4XLkQ.gif

Nice.

Update in a new post to bump the thread. : So I disconnected the UI Controller from the World Manager and put that prefab in each scene.

Now it's throwing the MissingReferenceExceptions on gameobject within the Battle UI script.
The most recent one

Code:
MissingReferenceException: The object of type 'GameObject' has been destroyed but you are still trying to access it.
Your script should either check if it is null or you should not destroy the object.
BattleUINGUI.OnStateChange (BattleState state) (at Assets/Scripts/UI Management/BattleUINGUI.cs:577)
wavelengthBattleSystem.ChangeState (BattleState state) (at Assets/Scripts/BattleSystem/wavelengthBattleSystem.cs:799)
wavelengthBattleSystem.EnterCommandState () (at Assets/Scripts/BattleSystem/wavelengthBattleSystem.cs:859)
BattleUINGUI.ClearBattleMessage () (at Assets/Scripts/UI Management/BattleUINGUI.cs:441)
BattleUINGUI.Update () (at Assets/Scripts/UI Management/BattleUINGUI.cs:17

From the looks of it, it seems as if it once "confirm" is hit during the Encounter State, it calls ClearBattleMessage which...well, clears the battle message and also changes the state to Command which changes the state in the battle system script, sending an OnStateChange event out.

At this point the OnStateChange event in the UI script is supposed to pick up that the state is now Command and turn off the Dialogue Box (using SetActive) and turns on the main Command selection buttons (Fight, Item, Tech and Run).

This is where it breaks. Each time I comment a further line down, the error just appears on the next line of code.

Now the reference shouldn't be lost/destroyed considering it's a brand new prefab to the scene rather than me attaching it to a DontDestroyOnLoad object.

Man...wtf.

Edit : I threw a debug.log into Update to see if the battleDialogue object was actually destroyed, but nope, it's totally there the entire time.

Jobbs

Banned
Update in a new post to bump the thread. : So I disconnected the UI Controller from the World Manager and put that prefab in each scene.

Now it's throwing the MissingReferenceExceptions on gameobject within the Battle UI script.
The most recent one

Code:
MissingReferenceException: The object of type 'GameObject' has been destroyed but you are still trying to access it.
Your script should either check if it is null or you should not destroy the object.
BattleUINGUI.OnStateChange (BattleState state) (at Assets/Scripts/UI Management/BattleUINGUI.cs:577)
wavelengthBattleSystem.ChangeState (BattleState state) (at Assets/Scripts/BattleSystem/wavelengthBattleSystem.cs:799)
wavelengthBattleSystem.EnterCommandState () (at Assets/Scripts/BattleSystem/wavelengthBattleSystem.cs:859)
BattleUINGUI.ClearBattleMessage () (at Assets/Scripts/UI Management/BattleUINGUI.cs:441)
BattleUINGUI.Update () (at Assets/Scripts/UI Management/BattleUINGUI.cs:17

From the looks of it, it seems as if it once "confirm" is hit during the Encounter State, it calls ClearBattleMessage which...well, clears the battle message and also changes the state to Command which changes the state in the battle system script, sending an OnStateChange event out.

At this point the OnStateChange event in the UI script is supposed to pick up that the state is now Command and turn off the Dialogue Box (using SetActive) and turns on the main Command selection buttons (Fight, Item, Tech and Run).

This is where it breaks. Each time I comment a further line down, the error just appears on the next line of code.

Now the reference shouldn't be lost/destroyed considering it's a brand new prefab to the scene rather than me attaching it to a DontDestroyOnLoad object.

Man...wtf.

Edit : I threw a debug.log into Update to see if the battleDialogue object was actually destroyed, but nope, it's totally there the entire time.

demons :(

LordRaptor

So... prefabbing your UI fixed the errors about the UI being destroyed, but didn't fix the battlemanager errors? Am I following that correctly?

Because... I'd guess your battlemanager is a singleton and deleting itself as an existing version exists, but your pointers are looking for the version you delete, not the one that isn't?

Try adding GetInstanceID to any points where you add, delete or look for and find gameobjects - it will tell you for sure if you are incorrectly setting references

e: as something like
Code:
// singleton 
if (thing)
{
     debug.log("thing exists as #"+thing.gameobject.getinstanceid);
     debug.log("Deleting notThing #"+notThing.gameobject.getinstanceid);
     delete.notThing;
}
else
{
     instantiate new thing;
     debug.log("Added new thing #"+thing.gameobject.getinstanceid);
}

shaowebb

Looking for a bit of a time saver here in Blender.

To unwrap a model I placed seems, seperated the parts of the model, then unwrapped them all individually before combining the model back using the "join" tool and arranging the UV's on a single map.

Now I go to the rigging stage and find that the model is lifting limbs off the bodies and that though they joined into a single object the limbs didn't restitch together again. This means I have a LOT of vertex points to join together one at a time unless anyone here knows of a shortcut to stitch this together again.

Additionally, i'm finding that the modifier for "smoothing" certain limbs like the boots and gloves disappeared after rejoining these areas to the model. Does anyone know of a solution to this? I'd rather not have blocky gloves and boots but I'm conserving polys here. Hoping not to have to go and do a high poly model and bake this just to solve two parts on the model.

LordRaptor

Now I go to the rigging stage and find that the model is lifting limbs off the bodies and that though they joined into a single object the limbs didn't restitch together again. This means I have a LOT of vertex points to join together one at a time unless anyone here knows of a shortcut to stitch this together again.

If it was multiple meshes joined together and you're using automatic weighting, the weighting is based on the normals, so you might have to recalculate the normals of the joined together mesh before parenting bones to the joined mesh

e:
sorry, answer was a bit vague;
select all, unparent skeleton and remove armature modifier, go to edit -> mesh -> recalculate normals and then reparent skeleton with automatic weights - hopefully will fix it, but will probably need some weight painting cleanup

shaowebb

If it was multiple meshes joined together and you're using automatic weighting, the weighting is based on the normals, so you might have to recalculate the normals of the joined together mesh before parenting bones to the joined mesh

e:
sorry, answer was a bit vague;
select all, unparent skeleton and remove armature modifier, go to edit -> mesh -> recalculate normals and then reparent skeleton with automatic weights - hopefully will fix it, but will probably need some weight painting cleanup

Thanks. I'll give it a shot. If it doesn't work, then I guess I'll select via edge the whole loop of vertexes on a limb thats disconnected, lower it, then go back to the model and select the loop of vertexes on the other side and merge to last and see if it'll do them all in bulk. If so it wont be too bad but if it doesn't work I'll have to one at a time it.

Hoping to get this taken care of without wasting too much time. I'd like to spend the weekend focusing on a few base animations to test the pipeline from Blender into Unity and my copy of Universal Fighting Engine to start feeling out physics and camera settings to tweak.

LordRaptor

Thanks. I'll give it a shot. If it doesn't work, then I guess I'll select via edge the whole loop of vertexes on a limb thats disconnected, lower it, then go back to the model and select the loop of vertexes on the other side and merge to last and see if it'll do them all in bulk.

You could also try parenting bones directly to specific mesh parts, but that doesn't really work for 'organic' characters, as it means only that part of the mesh moves, so its usually for, you know, stuff like factory robots and things.

Dinjooh

I've recently been hired as a UI designer for an upcoming indie game based on my background in graphic design and more specifically my web design skills - so the issue is, I know pretty much nothing about game UI, other than from what I've experienced over the years.

Do any of you know of any good books, videos, pdfs, whatever that introduces you to game UI. I have around 3 months before I'm starting and I'd like to get as knowledgeable as possible beforehand.

shaowebb

I've recently been hired as a UI designer for an upcoming indie game based on my background in graphic design and more specifically my web design skills - so the issue is, I know pretty much nothing about game UI, other than from what I've experienced over the years.

Do any of you know of any good books, videos, pdfs, whatever that introduces you to game UI. I have around 3 months before I'm starting and I'd like to get as knowledgeable as possible beforehand.

UI is kind of dependent upon genre. Style is typically related to the art direction of the game as well so its very subjective. Main thing is ease of use and dont make something that clutters the screen or detracts from the action during gameplay.

I don't know that there is any book or reference that'd guide you through it so the best thing I'd suggest is find successful and unsuccessful titles in the genres you'll be doing UI for and study them. Look for emerging patterns in UI choices and try to figure out why folks go with them and whether an alternative is easier, or more obstructive to achieving the same actions.

Good luck. UI is a highly research based and functionality oriented role. Just try to find the middle ground between style and functionality. Too little animation or decoration and its dull and you look cheap. Too much and you are cumbersome.

Speaking of Blender, I've been making doggy clothes all week :p These are just a small fraction of the total unlockable in the game.
LimpingFamousIcelandgull-size_restricted.gif

Looking for a bit of a time saver here in Blender.

To unwrap a model I placed seems, seperated the parts of the model, then unwrapped them all individually before combining the model back using the "join" tool and arranging the UV's on a single map.

Additionally, i'm finding that the modifier for "smoothing" certain limbs like the boots and gloves disappeared after rejoining these areas to the model. Does anyone know of a solution to this? I'd rather not have blocky gloves and boots but I'm conserving polys here. Hoping not to have to go and do a high poly model and bake this just to solve two parts on the model.

Hopefully I've understood your problem correctly - Did you try the Remove Doubles function? It merges any vertices that happen to be very, very close together. When you use the function, you can adjust the threshold it uses on the lower left corner of Blender. Make the merge distance higher as needed until you see that it's merged what you needed.

As for the second problem with the smoothing, when you join two different objects together, the resulting object always end up with the modifiers in the last object you selected. This is normal behavior for Blender, and it's why you should press Apply on modifiers if you want them to become permanent before joining the object to another. The only two ways now for you to solve this would be to re-separate the objects, apply the individual modifiers, then re-join them again. The other option is to go into Edit mode, highlight the specific two parts of the model, and use the Smooth Vertex button (and Subdivide too if needed) on the Tools left-hand menu.

Dinjooh

UI is kind of dependent upon genre. Style is typically related to the art direction of the game as well so its very subjective. Main thing is ease of use and dont make something that clutters the screen or detracts from the action during gameplay.

I don't know that there is any book or reference that'd guide you through it so the best thing I'd suggest is find successful and unsuccessful titles in the genres you'll be doing UI for and study them. Look for emerging patterns in UI choices and try to figure out why folks go with them and whether an alternative is easier, or more obstructive to achieving the same actions.

Good luck. UI is a highly research based and functionality oriented role. Just try to find the middle ground between style and functionality. Too little animation or decoration and its dull and you look cheap. Too much and you are cumbersome.

Yea I looked around for a bit and couldn't find much, turns out there's probably a good reason why there isn't much.

I think I will start a quite different moodboard than I am used to with both good and bad examples of UI and try to focus on the parts I want to do.

Thanks for the pointers, appreciated.

shaowebb

Speaking of Blender, I've been making doggy clothes all week :p These are just a small fraction of the total unlockable in the game.
LimpingFamousIcelandgull-size_restricted.gif

Hopefully I've understood your problem correctly - Did you try the Remove Doubles function? It merges any vertices that happen to be very, very close together. When you use the function, you can adjust the threshold it uses on the lower left corner of Blender. Make the merge distance higher as needed until you see that it's merged what you needed.

As for the second problem with the smoothing, when you join two different objects together, the resulting object always end up with the modifiers in the last object you selected. This is normal behavior for Blender, and it's why you should press Apply on modifiers if you want them to become permanent before joining the object to another. The only two ways now for you to solve this would be to re-separate the objects, apply the individual modifiers, then re-join them again. The other option is to go into Edit mode, highlight the specific two parts of the model, and use the Smooth Vertex button (and Subdivide too if needed) on the Tools left-hand menu.

Yeah, I always use merge doubles. Its got to have something to do with the initial choice to seperate the model along seams then joining it back. I'll try editing the parameters on the merge doubles tool and see if it wont grab them after that. If not...welp its time to do em by hand.

Pehesse

MeekBlaringBudgie.gif

After two weeks of packing boxes/lugging boxes around/unpacking boxes/dreaming about boxes, it feels nice to finally be back to work on a bona fide screenshot saturday with actual new content! (got the reaction AI working, along with hit detection and all that jazz - only need to make it an actual decision making AI, and put on the finishing touches to the fight presentation, namely the outro)

I'm getting this last match up and running before moving on to the user configuration menus, and finally make a nice wrapper around the whole thing so I can (possibly) make an actual demo of it! Hopefully that'll help the Greenlight gain traction!

Pehesse

I didn't, but I actually will have time this afternoon/evening! Life's been crazy since I actually got a real job a few weeks ago. I'll be sure to stream it, too!

Yeah, I can definitely relate to sweeping life changes having a huge impact on available time :-D Glad you're still interested, and very much looking forward to you playing and streaming it! Are you planning to record it, by any chance? I'm afraid I might miss it it because of timezone differences otherwise... (getting near shutdown time here!)

Yeah, I can definitely relate to sweeping life changes having a huge impact on available time :-D Glad you're still interested, and very much looking forward to you playing and streaming it! Are you planning to record it, by any chance? I'm afraid I might miss it it because of timezone differences otherwise... (getting near shutdown time here!)

Yeah, the stream will be automatically archived so I'll send you a link (or post it here if you don't mind). Let me know!

SystemBug

been thinking about an idea for a game since a few days ago. whipped this up this morning. kind of an art/style test. not rendered in engine but it should be achievable. this area is probably going to be the first scene of the game (not as sparse obviously).

I just dont know how much time I can dedicate to this. I barely have time these days.

Pehesse

Yeah, the stream will be automatically archived so I'll send you a link (or post it here if you don't mind). Let me know!

Oh, any of those would be great!! Thanks much :-D

The punch/blur effect adds so much, I love it :) Also, obviously, the animations are fantastic. Hand-drawn, right?

Thanks as well! Yeah, it's "hand-drawn" - I use quotation marks since it's all actually digital, but I stick as close as possible to what I'd do and get if I was working with stacks of paper... except it's a lot cheaper :-D

Pehesse

missile

MeekBlaringBudgie.gif

After two weeks of packing boxes/lugging boxes around/unpacking boxes/dreaming about boxes, it feels nice to finally be back to work on a bona fide screenshot saturday with actual new content! (got the reaction AI working, along with hit detection and all that jazz - only need to make it an actual decision making AI, and put on the finishing touches to the fight presentation, namely the outro)

I'm getting this last match up and running before moving on to the user configuration menus, and finally make a nice wrapper around the whole thing so I can (possibly) make an actual demo of it! Hopefully that'll help the Greenlight gain traction!
I think your art and the way you compose these things together doing a game
will make rounds in some many game developer studios. Great work!

Pehesse

I think your art and the way you compose these things together doing a game
will make rounds in some many game developer studios. Great work!

Very nice!

Stopped 6 mins in to not spoil myself too much...
l46CBK5mGWWmQ6Qmc.gif

Thanks!!! I'm still so bummed and sad you couldn't experience it yourself... I'm looking into everything I can to get it working for you! I believe I cut some of the initial loading already, but it's still enormously long so I'll have to try some more stuff. Ongoing process!

So... prefabbing your UI fixed the errors about the UI being destroyed, but didn't fix the battlemanager errors? Am I following that correctly?

Because... I'd guess your battlemanager is a singleton and deleting itself as an existing version exists, but your pointers are looking for the version you delete, not the one that isn't?

Try adding GetInstanceID to any points where you add, delete or look for and find gameobjects - it will tell you for sure if you are incorrectly setting references

e: as something like
Code:
// singleton 
if (thing)
{
     debug.log("thing exists as #"+thing.gameobject.getinstanceid);
     debug.log("Deleting notThing #"+notThing.gameobject.getinstanceid);
     delete.notThing;
}
else
{
     instantiate new thing;
     debug.log("Added new thing #"+thing.gameobject.getinstanceid);
}

Update : I managed to fix it by putting null checks and also there were a few event subscriptions that I mistyped to unsubscribe from but they were everywhere so took a long time to fix up. Thanks for your help though man, I really appreciate it.

---

Had some close friends come around and help give some feedback and test the shit out of the game. I was super nervous but it was kinda great hearing how jazzed everyone was playing it.

missile

Thanks!!! I'm still so bummed and sad you couldn't experience it yourself... I'm looking into everything I can to get it working for you! I believe I cut some of the initial loading already, but it's still enormously long so I'll have to try some more stuff. Ongoing process!
Next week I've a bit of time trying load it up again. Will see.

Meanwhile;

26BRqIVvbiCyUCtsQ.gif

Worked a lil more on the lighting. The ground now reflects the volume lights
much more smoothly and gets better attenuated than last time. Not much, but
will have some huge effects on some more 3d-ish geometries further down the
road.

mStudios

That's trashy.

That's impressive for your first one.

The first model I ever made was a 3D model of the Going Merry from One Piece. It was... not very good. lol. It took me years after that to get to the skill level I am at now, self-taught.

Looks like garbage. :b

Edit: But seriously, that's a solid start.

Thanks lol

For those who have use unity. How do I design a 3D room? SHould I do the whole thing on 3Ds Max and import it to unity or each separately? What about the shape of the room? It's just a square + texture?

Another question, If I want to, for example, open the trashcan lid, How do I do that? Should I take the part and do the coding?

Sorry, not 3D-Unity savvy here lol

SystemBug

Thanks lol

For those who have use unity. How do I design a 3D room? SHould I do the whole thing on 3Ds Max and import it to unity or each separately? What about the shape of the room? It's just a square + texture?

Another question, If I want to, for example, open the trashcan lid, How do I do that? Should I take the part and do the coding?

Sorry, not 3D-Unity savvy here lol

it depends. you can model the whole room, or you can model specific parts and then puzzle piece them together, ie, have a wall piece, a floor piece , etc.

as for the trash can lid, you can animate the lid via code in Unity, or animate it in 3ds max, and have the animation initialize once you interact with it.

So many ways to skin a cat, mStudios.

One method is to do exactly what you said. Do all your modeling and stuff in Max or Maya or Blender or whatever, and then import it into Unity. Or like SystemBug said you can model individual components and stitch them together in different ways so you can create a lot of layouts from individual components.

You can also use something like ProBuilder (free version here: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/11919) that lets you basically model in Unity as though it were a 3D program. For making complex models you're best left in the dedicated external programs, but if you want to make relatively simple levels that you can test right away in the engine, this is a good choice. The best benefit it is allows you to avoid going back and forth and having to retweak the model in Max or whatever a million times.

Hell, even if you aren't going to make your final models in ProBuilder, it is often a good idea to use it anyway to sketch out your environments and test them so you have a good sense of what the dimensions need to be for fun gameplay, and then you can replicate it in the 3d program of your choice. Cuts down on all the re-rendering, re-exporting, re-importing and stuff you'd have to do otherwise.

mStudios

it depends. you can model the whole room, or you can model specific parts and then puzzle piece them together, ie, have a wall piece, a floor piece , etc.

as for the trash can lid, you can animate the lid via code in Unity, or animate it in 3ds max, and have the animation initialize once you interact with it.

So many ways to skin a cat, mStudios.

One method is to do exactly what you said. Do all your modeling and stuff in Max or Maya or Blender or whatever, and then import it into Unity. Or like SystemBug said you can model individual components and stitch them together in different ways so you can create a lot of layouts from individual components.

You can also use something like ProBuilder (free version here: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/11919) that lets you basically model in Unity as though it were a 3D program. For making complex models you're best left in the dedicated external programs, but if you want to make relatively simple levels that you can test right away in the engine, this is a good choice. The best benefit it is allows you to avoid going back and forth and having to retweak the model in Max or whatever a million times.

Hell, even if you aren't going to make your final models in ProBuilder, it is often a good idea to use it anyway to sketch out your environments and test them so you have a good sense of what the dimensions need to be for fun gameplay, and then you can replicate it in the 3d program of your choice. Cuts down on all the re-rendering, re-exporting, re-importing and stuff you'd have to do otherwise.

I see, thanks!

My idea is to make a simple escape horror room to practice my 3D learning. Since I don't know much I guess I'll do the whole room in 3DS Max and then see how it goes from there lol.

Thanks again!

I see, thanks!

My idea is to make a simple escape horror room to practice my 3D learning. Since I don't know much I guess I'll do the whole room in 3DS Max and then see how it goes from there lol.

Thanks again!

That'll work great, especially if you're not really moving around the room, just rotating and clicking on objects to "activate" them, or doing manual camera switches as though it were a 2D escape room from first person (999 style). Then you won't have to worry about the messy business of player movement and making sure everything is colliding correctly and all that.

correojon

MeekBlaringBudgie.gif

This is really good, love all the little tricks you used to sell the impact and weight of the hits: the lines, temporal blurriness...and of course the god tier animations.

Insolitus

Banned
Anyone want to help me decide which visual style looks better? I'm leaning towards the left ones mainly because it's easier to see but I feel like the darker look makes the environment feel less safe and creepier, which I kind of like.

Anyone want to help me decide which visual style looks better? I'm leaning towards the left ones mainly because it's easier to see but I feel like the darker look makes the environment feel less safe and creepier, which I kind of like.

Can you leave it up to the player with a gamma slider?

Jobbs

Banned

go with darker darks (2 or 4). the lighter darks don't look good to me

missile

@Insolitus: 4, at least.

been thinking about an idea for a game since a few days ago. whipped this up this morning. kind of an art/style test. not rendered in engine but it should be achievable. this area is probably going to be the first scene of the game (not as sparse obviously).

I just dont know how much time I can dedicate to this. I barely have time these days.
Everything is possible, given the room is small enough. ;) What's the game
about?

... My idea is to make a simple escape horror room to practice ...
Btw; what would be some gamplay in such a room?

I say the two on the left. The right hand side ones are too dark, all defining elements of the image are lost. If I were playing it I wouldn't feel creeped out, just annoyed because I'd likely fall victim to something I just flat-out couldn't see, which doesn't make for a fun experience.

Pehesse

I'd do left as well - the ones on the right just make me want to play around with the screen's gamma setting! I'd have to see the whole thing in motion, but just through screens, darker doesn't mean creepier for me, it just means harder on the eyes. Maybe you could try a mix of both to see, with the black foreground being darker if you really want to, but the far plane/background being the left version, so you can separate all planes better (foreground, characters, background, far background)?

Insolitus

Banned
Thanks for the replies, I'll probably include some kind of gamma slider. But I just wanted to know what was the general preference was for the default look.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood

None of them is ideal imo, I would do black shadows and brighter colors, something like this

EDIT:(i wasn't clear)
I would use more contrast, with black unseen sections of building and street and all the rest with brighter colors, something like in this screen i modified:
m06v0io.png

Compare it to the originals
m06v0io.png
DmTV5iA.png

SystemBug

Everything is possible, given the room is small enough. ;) What's the game
about?
you are a radio operator in a war. you hear an important message and abandon your post to deliver the message in person.

it's essentially going to be a narrative platformer game.

the room is basically like going to be used in the first 20 seconds of the game lol. at least I can reuse the models I have made for it

bumpkin

None of them is ideal imo, I would do black shadows and brighter colors, something like this
m06v0io.png

Compare it to the originals
m06v0io.png
DmTV5iA.png
The darker shadows are more atmospheric, but I think they make it too easy to not spot an enemy lying in wait unless the player is super vigilant. I guess it depends what sort of experience you want to shoot for.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
The darker shadows are more atmospheric, but I think they make it too easy to not spot an enemy lying in wait unless the player is super vigilant. I guess it depends what sort of experience you want to shoot for.

Sorry i now see that i used "shadows" not properly.
What i wanted to say is that i would use more contrast, blacks of the unseen sections of street and buildings(what i not properly called "shadow") should remain black while all the rest(including "shadows") should be a little brighter, i think that everything is more pleasant and readable in the screen i modified.

What would be the best way to implement a way to:

Have a bunch of skills with their animation and mechanical data (damage, target, effects) stored somewhere "globally"
Have both player characters and enemies be able to have one or more of said skills by referencing them

In Unity 5? Just trying to think ahead while I code in my battle functionality. I still kind of don't quite get ScriptableObjects which seem to be the thing I want, though the docs seem to be...uh...

I'm confusing myself, probably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom