• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, is Xenoblade getting snubbed?

It was a lot of fun, I played through it, but I barely remember what happened other than a few moments.

Fwiw it is my RPG of the year, personally.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Xenoblades ending was better than any ending you could get in Mass Effect 3.

gZLfM.gif

Dunan

It's a pretty good game, but I suggest not having expectations that it's like FF12. Matsuno's style of game design/narrative and Takahashi/Monolithsoft's style of game design/narrative are very, very different. What both games do share is a MMO-like battle system, and wide open fields which are really fun to explore. Beyond that they're very different beasts. :)

This is going to be my first Monolithsoft game, and I know going in that the translation isn't going to be the masterpiece that FFXII was. (As a professional translator myself, I'm going to force myself not to nitpick; we're lucky to have this game in English to begin with.)

Still, exploration and world-building are the two things that really pull me into a game. I can't wait to see what XB's creators have made for us.

Are we really to the point where JRPGs are "niche"? I know FPS games are the dominant market right now, but JRPGs are still a major genre to me.

I don't think it's getting snubbed. The fact that it even gets nominated in some outlets shows that people recognize the quality of the game.

As for why some people, including me, get horribly disgusted whenever Xenoblade is brought up on NeoGAF these days... incoming rant:

Hardcore Xenoblade zealots are some of the most insufferable and pathetic fanboys I've come across online. It's not enough that there's a good game and you played it and can discuss it. No. If it is not recognized and accepted by every single human being that it is the best thing ever, then it is a grave injustice! Let's tell everyone how they're wrong! Let's shit up thread after thread but bringing up the game over and over in every argument! Let's namedrop the game in unrelated threads where people might have never heard of the game as a defense to anything and everything! Wooo! Roflmao. I'm fucking glad that 2010 and 2011 are behind us, and with each passing year, the game is slowly getting forgotten by the mass majority of people.
I honestly have no clue what you are talking about. I don't see Xenoblade fans doing any of those things, but I do see magazines clearly picking a game that was widely regarded as a piece of crap as RPG GOTY over anything else, and this was a light year for RPGs. If we had a bunch of other quality titles, it wouldn't be so glaring, but what exactly was Xenoblade competing against? I don't care if people don't like the game, but I don't have a blindfold on either.

Xenoblade was a great experience for me. It was an even greater experience for me this year than it would have been in other years because it's the first good console JRPG that has come out in some time. The last one I can think of is Valkyria Chronicles, and other than that this entire generation has been crap for the genre in my experience. So yeah, when, in a 5-6 year period, we've had two quality games in a genre for consoles, and one of them comes out this year for NA, it seems perfectly reasonable to me to shower the game with praise. Maybe Xenoblade will turn out like Golden Sun, which is a game, IMO, that was really only great because it saved everyone from a drought, and not because it's actually a great game. I'm inclined to think otherwise, but I admit there's that chance.

Just so no one jumps on me: I don't consider Demon's Souls a JRPG.

I don't think it's getting snubbed. The fact that it even gets nominated in some outlets shows that people recognize the quality of the game.

As for why some people, including me, get horribly disgusted whenever Xenoblade is brought up on NeoGAF these days... incoming rant:

Hardcore Xenoblade zealots are some of the most insufferable and pathetic fanboys I've come across online. It's not enough that there's a good game and you played it and can discuss it. No. If it is not recognized and accepted by every single human being that it is the best thing ever, then it is a grave injustice! Let's tell everyone how they're wrong! Let's shit up thread after thread but bringing up the game over and over in every argument! Let's namedrop the game in unrelated threads where people might have never heard of the game as a defense to anything and everything! Wooo! Roflmao. I'm fucking glad that 2010 and 2011 are behind us, and with each passing year, the game is slowly getting forgotten by the mass majority of people.
I remember seeing mentions Demon Souls (or was it Dark Souls?) in every thread a while back.

This is going to be my first Monolithsoft game, and I know going in that the translation isn't going to be the masterpiece that FFXII was. (As a professional translator myself, I'm going to force myself not to nitpick; we're lucky to have this game in English to begin with.)

The voice work is at least good. Well... yeah, it's pretty good. :lol

Dunan

It would be nice if I could actually find a copy without being gouged.

It's sold out at Gamestop both new and used. Copies on Amazon are $100. I tried to get a used copy on eBay and set my top bid at $45 - it sold for over $60.

Come on.

I bought one at the first Gamestop I looked at for $50 two days ago, FWIW. When I'm done -- I don't own the Wii I'll be playing it on -- shoot me a PM if you still haven't found a copy; I'll sell you mine. ^^;

Alex

I liked the voice work a lot in Xenoblade, it all fit well and it's fun to get a dub done from outside of the usual pool of talent.

Are we really to the point where JRPGs are "niche"? I know FPS games are the dominant market right now, but JRPGs are still a major genre to me.

I don't think FPS's being popular has much to do with it.

I would say they've become a little more insular and have lost some of their more worldly qualities, though. More importantly, it really doesn't help that the kind of people, by far and large, who consume RPG's and play handhelds in the US couldn't be any more different.

duckroll

I remember seeing mentions Demon Souls (or was it Dark Souls?) in every thread a while back.

Yeah that can be pretty annoying too, but since Dark Souls is now a much bigger franchise and getting much more recognition, the nutjob zealots probably feel they don't need to come off as strongly as in the past, so it's more bearable these days.

Juken

What is wrong with you people? Seriously? Xenoblade is definitely one of the best RPGs this year, last year and the year before that.

That music, that world, that story, that exploration. Honestly, if Xenoblade isn't the savior of JRPGs THIS gen. Then what is? No other console JRPG has managed to come close to the quality of Xenoblade. While it's not revolutionary in any way. It successfully managed to create a JRPG for the modern age with great results. They managed to create a RPG on Wii that felt just as compelling as any RPG on the HD twins. How the hell is it overrated? It's only popular amongst a niche audience ffs.

And Mass Effect 3 is effin dating sim with mediocre third person shooter combat. it shouldn't be a winner of any GOTY award.

Except that I don't think it did...it has plenty of the JRPG quirks that are going to turn most people from the genre. You still have to go through hundreds of battles that unfold the same way with party members that say the same quips each time in gameplay that is roughly the same from hour 10 to hour 100.

It just added large, beautiful field areas to explore with fantastic music.

Stuart444

Atelier Meruru should have won best RPG!
I'm going to get killed for that aren't I?

Honestly, anyone who follows or even looks up awards at these sites every year should have a pretty good expectation of what they will get (assuming you know most of the big releases that year).

The ONLY thing that is surprising to me here is... XCOM (WTF?) winning. Besides that, everything looks about what I expected. Though I did think Tales of Graces f would be in one of the nominations for one of those sites and if Xenoblade didn't come out this year in NA, I think it would probably have made one of the lists but oh well.

Its not hard to understand why Xenoblade gets the love it does.

JRPG fans were searching for a hero, someone to bring happiness to their lives again after such a dark period.

Monolith Soft graced us with its glory, we should all be thankful for that and sing its legend for all time. Umbasa. \O/

ymmv

Banned
TLS might be pretty good in an emulator. The performance on a Wii is unacceptable.

TLS runs awful in Dolphin: you need a 4Ghz CPU and emulation is far from perfect (graphics problems, stuttering sound plus freezing). I was hoping to play it on my PC, but I gave up because there were too many issues.

I remember the days when video game media hired more qualified people than buffoons who were too stupid to properly figure out the mechanics of a game or too lazy to devote more than 20 minutes to a game.

Meier

Xenoblade is definitely a far superior title to Mass Effect 3. And I love the Mass Effect series.

Year end awards are all about that cheddar.

Strife91

Except that I don't think it did...it has plenty of the JRPG quirks that are going to turn most people from the genre. You still have to go through hundreds of battles that unfold the same way with party members that say the same quips each time in gameplay that is roughly the same from hour 10 to hour 100.

This is true for pretty much any game?

Alex

I remember the days when video game media hired more qualified people than buffoons who were too stupid to properly figure out the mechanics of a game or too lazy to devote more than 20 minutes to a game.

What would make you say they didn't get it or play it? It's not exactly a complicated game. If you've played pretty much any WRPG or FFXII, you know 95% of the how and why of Xenoblade and it's not difficult to fill in the blanks.

No, battles don't unfold the same way, because you have 7 characters to pick as the one you control, and 2 partners to give that character. There's a lot of variety, and the combat system is constantly expanding. I found Xenoblade to be one of the most interesting combat experiences among any JRPG I have played. And by that, I mean almost certainly a "Top 10" in the gameplay department.

The character quotes between members change as you raise their affinity, and they differ by which third partner you have. As far as I can tell, every 3-person combination comes with a unique full-group conversation that occurs once you get affinity high enough.

I can see why you might not like the canned quotes being repeated, though. It's not for everyone. As someone who grew up with Street Fighter, the canned quotes are more like a "Hadoken!" to me than anything. It adds charm to the characters, and it's a bit of the "victory ceremony" that occurs. Call it childish or unsophisticated, but I like characters with taglines, victory poses, and named special moves. It's a huge part of what makes them memorable. At the very least, I find it vastly superior to the <Fill-In-The-Blank> protagonists that have become so popular this generation.

What would make you say they didn't get it or play it? It's not exactly a complicated game.
I've heard quite a few people say Xenoblade is a "complex" game with "numerous" subsystems. I don't know what those people are talking about, but it's a thing.

uncharted 2

You have my sword. I really do internet has turned a bunch of games into these sacred cows that cannot be touched. Of course, I guess it's better to have these than my circle of gamer friends who think Assassin's Creed 3 had one of the best stories ever.

And yes, Xenoblade has been nominated for many awards when it was a freaking Gamestop/Nintendo NA release. You want someone to really blame for Xenoblade's lack of awareness/ Blame fucking Nintendo for treating the game like dog crap. It's a testament to how good the game is that it's been given so many nominations.

RagnarokX

Xenoblade is extremely well-paced. You don't really need to grind at all. You can see enemies and can avoid them.

Juken

This is true for pretty much any game?

No it's pretty unique to JRPGs - and I think is the primary reason why JRPGs struggle finding a wider audience.

Way too many encounters that unfold the same way. Without need for much strategy. Repeated over and over and over. Unless you're fighting a boss or one of the roaming elite creatures in Xenoblade, combat is essentially a chore that requires little thought.

I think most publications gave Xenoblade to their "JRPG guy" who proceeded to love it. And then when GOTY voting comes and they have to vote, most of them don't like this type of gameplay and don't vote for it.

Alex

Xenoblade is extremely well-paced. You don't really need to grind at all. You can see enemies and can avoid them.

I would argue that grinding was discouraged, to the point of annoyance because if you did more than a rare couple of side quests you'd wind up smashing everything in your path outside of world bosses.

Even in Japanese games I really love, it seems like my biggest complaint is often tuning, even to the point of total ruin (Arc the Lad, Valkyria, Jeanne d'Arc) that's why when stuff like an SMT or DQ game hits and everything really feels right it sticks with me more.

Strife91

No it's pretty unique to JRPGs - and I think is the primary reason why JRPGs struggle finding a wider audience.

Way too many encounters that unfold the same way. Without need for much strategy. Repeated over and over and over. Unless you're fighting a boss or one of the roaming elite creatures in Xenoblade, combat is essentially a chore that requires little thought.

Well I can actually agree on this. Still love the genre and the game though. I do think they need make the games more compact and make every encounter more eventful.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Mass Effect 3 is a piece of rotten oily fuck compared to Xenoblade, so the only comment that can be posted about this matter is: LOL IGN, worthless site besides the adorable Keza

Aeana

I think most publications gave Xenoblade to their "JRPG guy" who proceeded to love it. And then when GOTY voting comes and they have to vote, most of them don't like this type of gameplay and don't vote for it.

This is how I feel about a lot of games, especially shooters, so I don't think it's unique to RPGs at all.

duckroll

When talking about a 60-100 hour RPG, pacing can be a lot of things. I'll say that in some areas, the pacing of Xenoblade is actually incredibly poor. The sub-quest design and the main narrative design are the two main areas where the game was paced really poorly.

There are a ton of really crappy filler quests in every town, which aren't interesting to do, feel like a waste of time, and don't add anything to the town's story or have fun interactions with NPCs. At the same time, there are a number of quests which are really quite interesting in terms of how it fleshes out the setting and the relationships between NPCs in a town. But the way the quest system is designed, it requires the player to basically "grind" the crap filler quests to ever get enough "rep" in a town to take on the more interesting quests. I imagine that tons of players would bail out on the optional quests completely after a few of those generic Item Gathering and Monster Killing quests, and hence would miss out on the quests which are actually worth playing. That's not very good design.

As for the main narrative, the way events are paced, there a loooong periods of slow burn where nothing at all happens. It's not even like, just the story going slow, but rather many hours of gameplay can pass by without there being a story event simply because the characters are "travelling" from place to place. FFXII also had this problem, especially in the latter half of the game. There's a reason why the Pharos in FFXII is considered a really draggy and boring part of the game - because you just keep going through floor after floor and fighting one generic random monster boss after another without there being any developments in the story. A lot of Xenoblade is like that, and it definitely scratches the MMO itch, but as a single player RPG it can get boring at times.

I'm not so sure the "almost no one played it" defense works. The games media most certainly has. I don't think any major sites are out there that don't have reviews...

I just think there wasn't enough Mountain Dew.

One person in an entire site isn't enough for the game to gain traction. Most sites gave Xenoblade to their niche, jRPG reviewer and called it a day.

They had no intention of giving the game a fair sake

Hiltz

It was a 2010 game in Japan and a 2011 game in Europe. We're here at the end of 2012 and nobody cares anymore. Blame Nintendo.

Pretty much the truth. Nintendo released it on a platform that was basically dead by then. Although, according to Nintendo of America's sales expectations, Xenoblade sold "quite well."

SerRodrik

That's precisely how I felt about it, although I played longer than you did. I thought it was a *good* game, and I'd definitely recommend it to people... I just don't get the hype.

That's about how I feel. It's a pretty good game, but I've gotten a few hours in and then stopped twice. Maybe it's because I'm not a fan of MMO style RPGs, or maybe it's because Persona 4 was already the savior of JRPGs by the time I played it, but I would call Xenoblade a good game, but probably not an amazing game. I fully intend to get back to it again at some point and give it another shot, because maybe if I get further in it will finally grab me.

But I dunno. These conversations always make me feel like I missed something.

Juken

No, battles don't unfold the same way, because you have 7 characters to pick as the one you control, and 2 partners to give that character. There's a lot of variety, and the combat system is constantly expanding. I found Xenoblade to be one of the most interesting combat experiences among any JRPG I have played. And by that, I mean almost certainly a "Top 10" in the gameplay department.

The character quotes between members change as you raise their affinity, and they differ by which third partner you have. As far as I can tell, every 3-person combination comes with a unique full-group conversation that occurs once you get affinity high enough.
I agree that each character providing a different playstyle was one of the strengths of the game.

I just think the enemy AI while roaming the fields and when engaged in combat was too predictable and changed little from area to area or enemy to enemy. Battles weren't dynamic enough...you could just use your usual rotation unless you're fighting a boss or happened to aggro another roaming pack or two and have to adjust.

Well I can actually agree on this. Still love the genre and the game though. I do think they need make the games more compact and make every encounter more eventful.

And just to be clear I love the game and it's my favourite genre!

I just don't think it's the RPG to save the genre and appeal to a wide audience again. Maybe Monolith's next game will do it!

Top Bottom