• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF LCD Monitor Roundup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablos

So, all of you LCD owners... what make/model do you have?

I use the Samsung SyncMaster 710T. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...2-4035848?v=glance&s=electronics&vi=tech-data

* Color: Black
* Compatibility: PC, Mac, Sun Microsystems
* Panel type: a-si TFT/TN
* Display size: 17 inches
* Diagonal viewable screen size: 17 inches
* Dot pitch: 0.264 mm
* Contrast ratio: 600:1
* Aspect ratio: 4:3
* Glass surface: Anti-glare hard-coat
* Horizontal viewing angle: 160 degrees
* Vertical viewing angle: 140 degrees
* Response time: 12 ms
* Brightness: 300 nits
* Input signals: Analog RGB, DVI Digital
* Input connector/cable: 15-pin D-sub (analog), DVI-D (digital)
* Maximum noninterlaced resolution: 1280 x 1024
* Horizontal frequency: Analog: 30 - 81 KHz, Digital: 30 - 63 KHz
* Vertical frequency: 56 - 75 Hz (Analog and Digital)
* Bandwidth: 140 Mhz
* Maximum display area: Information not available
* Plug and play: DDC 2B
* Wall mounting: Yes, VESA 100 mm (optional)
* Power consumption: 34W typical
* Built-in power supply: Yes
* Audio: Information not available
* Width: 14.6 inches
* Height: 16.0 inches
* Depth: 7.5 inches
* Weight: 12.8 pounds
* Warranty, parts: 3 years
* Warranty, labor: 3 years
* In the box: 710T LCD, base, power cable, signal cable, user guide, warranty info

It does require some tweaking to get the best picture; changing the gamma settings, messing with the color temperature, etc. Also, a program that came with it called "Natural Color" really helps. I could never go back to CRT, these displays are so much nicer. The amount of tearing in games is minimal, it's nothing that bothers me. Textures and lighting look so much more vibrant and detailed - so it's worth it, in my opinion. DVI is also really, really nice. The base it sits on is pretty stylish and allows you to slide the monitor up and down, as well as rotate it. Very smooth.

Cost me $410 altogether, and I'd suggest it to anyone here looking for a 17" LCD monitor.

Diablos

The Hyundai LCD looks like a good deal to me... considering it's really a Samsung, I'd go with that. The specs are better than the Sony's, anyway.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
GP1057368150_s.jpg

Size: 2.9-inch reflective TFT color LCD
Native Resolution: 240x160 pixels

I was thinking of upgrading, but do I really need TWO screens? :D

Tarazet

The computer that the family uses has a 19" Princeton tube monitor. When I got the old Mac G3 handed down to me, now replaced by my Asus laptop, I got a 17" NEC MultiSync LCD1765. Aside from one dead (green) pixel, it's great. I use it for my games, to watch DVDs with my laptop driving a dual-screen mode, and occasionally for my laptop itself using a wireless keyboard/mouse. I've got a pretty damn sweet setup, all things considered. Incredibly flexible.

feb11016ix.jpg

feb11023od.jpg

Diablos said:
The Hyundai LCD looks like a good deal to me... considering it's really a Samsung, I'd go with that. The specs are better than the Sony's, anyway.

Plus it's $300 cheaper than Sony... BUT... It has a silver bezel, which I don't really care for, and the standard non-reflective screen. The glossy screen on the Sony makes the colors so much more vibrant. But then there's the 700:1 contrast ratio on the Hyundai... Bah, choices. I hate them!

D, with the 12ms response time on your LCD, do you notice any afterglow? Mistakenly called ghosting? Like, if you strafe near a wall in a game like COD, UT2K4, etc., do you notice if the textures get really blurry? I tried a 16ms monitor from work, and there was some pretty noticeable ghosting. Was a cheap LCD, but still.

If you want some extra style to go with your Samsung 710T, there's the 172x (what I have):

B0000VD3KS.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Similar specs to the 710T, but more streamlined (narrow bezel, thin base, etc.)...power supply is separate to the monitor to support the slim look, costs a little bit more. Image quality overall looks great, performs very well =)

Edit: Newegg.com currently has this for $369 plus $10 shipping and tax (if applicable).

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
I have a 22" Sampo* telly in the bedroom.
It's alright, great image and that. It's a slave to Animal Crossing right now.

*Sampo make generic components for Sony and some others. Good and quite chead for the size of screen. Worth checking out anyway. :)

Diablos

D, with the 12ms response time on your LCD, do you notice any afterglow? Mistakenly called ghosting? Like, if you strafe near a wall in a game like COD, UT2K4, etc., do you notice if the textures get really blurry? I tried a 16ms monitor from work, and there was some pretty noticeable ghosting. Was a cheap LCD, but still.

There is some tearing or "afterglow" (there are so many terms for this), but it isn't overkill. It doesn't take away from the game experience, and I'm pretty picky about stuff like that. Any LCD is going to have this problem until they get down to like 4ms or something, heh.

That silver Samsung looks pretty nice. I'd rather have the power supply built in, but that's just me. Contrast ratio looks like it's a little lower, although I doubt it would've made that much of a difference.

I want this mofo: http://www.eizo.com/products/lcd/l578/index.asp

Size and Type
43 cm (17.0") TFT color LCD panel

Viewing Angles (H, V)*
178° , 178° (at contrast ratio of 10:1)

Brightness / Contrast
250 cd/m2 / 1000:1

Response Time
16 ms (typical)

Midtone Response Time
12 ms1 (typical)

Native Resolution
1280 × 1024

Active Display Size (H, V)
338 × 270 mm / 13.3 x 10.6"

Viewable Image Size
Diagonal: 432 mm / 17.0"

Pixel Pitch
0.264 × 0.264 mm

Display Colors
16.77 million from a palette of 1.06 billion
photo_b.jpg

Not too fond of the stupid speakers though. If those were out, this would be perfect.

either that, or this delicious morsel:
specstop06282004.jpg

Forsete

Gold Member
HP L1925

19", 1280x1024, 20ms

G238808042003%5B1%5D.jpg

Pretty good monitor, some ghosting, but I still perfer it over a CRT, I could never go back now. My eye's havent feelt this good in years, no more tears coming from your eyes after a few hours in front of the screen.

23PF8946_37_webImage198.jpg

Picture/Display
Aspect ratio : Widescreen
Display screen type : LCD WXGA Active Matrix TFT
Panel resolution : 1280 x 768p
Picture enhancement : 2D Combfilter, Active Control, Crystal Clear III, Sharpness Adjustment, Progressive Scan, Contrast Plus
Brightness : 450 cd/m²
Diagonal screen size (metric) : 58 cm
Screen enhancements : Anti-Reflection coated screen
Diagonal screen size (inch) : 23 in
Contrast ratio : 450:1
Viewing angle (horizontal) : 140 degree
Viewing angle (vertical) : 125 degree
Visible diagonal screen size : 58 cm

Supported Display Resolution
Video Formats : 640 x 480i - 1Fh, 640 x 480p - 2Fh, 720 x 576i - 1Fh, 720 x 576p - 2Fh, 1920 x 1080i - 2Fh
Computer formats : 720 x 400, 70Hz, 640 x 480, 60, 67, 72, 75Hz, 800 x 600, 56, 60, 72, 75Hz, 832 x 624, 75Hz, 1024 x 768, 60, 70, 75Hz - It actually handles 1280x1024 but it makes a pretty bad computer monitor

This is the TV I have except mine has a slightly different base. It sits next to my server in our home work area and we use it for watching TV while working, playing games, and working on homebrew Xbox games (720p and 1080i output is awesome).

If we're adding laptops I have a 15.4" lcd at 1680x1050.

bionic77

I have some ghetto generic LCD from 3 years ago. I want to upgrade but it feels too early to upgrade and a waste of money too.

EekTheKat

Dell 2001fp 1600x1200, 16ms response time

I think I killed it though, as small little defects are starting to pop up here and there on it.

Been eyeing the 2405fp if Dell ever comes around to releasing it. widescreen 1920x1200, sub16 ms response time, and allegedly component inputs.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
VG710b_h.jpg

[url\http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/lcddisplays/graphicseries/vg710b/]ViewSonic VG700b[/url]

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I'm thinking of either the Sony HS95P/B or the Hyundait L90D+, which uses a Samsung panel.
I'm thinking of HS75P/B (or S), but I might sqeeze the extra dough for 95 too... They sound pretty damn awesome on paper, and having seen some of those new coatings they've been putting on their monitors has convinced me that's the only way to go (thank God, PSP has that screen coating too). Picture on LCDs without that coating now looks dead and artificial in comparision.

Still, I'm not buying anything untill I see and try them in person, and only from a store where I can return it even if it has just one dead pixel.

luxsol

I have an old Apple 17" LCD monitor that came out in 2000 or 2001. It's currently connected to my G4 (whereas I have a 20something" CRT connected to my G5) and I've never noticed any shadowing, dead pixels (specs of dust though that i clean off regularly) or anything associated with LCD screens. What's a good way to check for dead pixels? I've used white images to check but so far nothing.

I've been thinking of getting one of the G5-type monitors but I don't have the money for one right now.

max_cool said:
how does one find out what "glass" an LCD has? Particularly if it's from some company you've never heard of.

If you're talking about the glossy coating versus the matte finish... Only the Sony models have that glossy finish now. Viewsonic had one model, but they changed the specs on it, and now it has an anti-glare screen. :(

Stryder

I just recently bought a Benq 71E+, very happy with it.

# 43.2cm (17") Flat Panel LCD Monitor
# 1280 x 1024 (SXGA) resolution
# 8ms response time
# 500:1 contrast ratio
# 300 cd/m2 brightness

406__305294194fp71e%20silver.jpg

I picked this mainly because it seemed the best (and within my budget) 8ms solution out there, I'm a big FPS fan and found that there was no ghosting at all when using this to play FPS's with.

AntoneM

Error Macro said:
If you're talking about the glossy coating versus the matte finish... Only the Sony models have that glossy finish now. Viewsonic had one model, but they changed the specs on it, and now it has an anti-glare screen. :(

no, I'm talking about the actual lcd panel or whever it's called. Or if you or someone could point me to a LCD monitor forum where they can help me out I'd be in your debt.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Dell 1905FP. Got it from Dell Business (heh heh) for $380.

http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=2332&p=2

It is basically the Samsung 193P, a high end 19" $650 LCD monitor. The only difference is that it's video processor isn't the same, but acheives the same result. The Flat Panel is the exact same.

IMO, the monitor's only weakness is the 20ms response time, which is bad for FPSs. However, I much rather have this monitor's color accuracy, sharpness, and contrast over those low latency ones that sacrifice all the other specs.

Diablos said:
All 16, 12 and 8ms LCD monitors use 6-bit pixels I believe.
False! There are a million 16ms LCDs that are 8bit (including the new Apple LCDs). But I think you're right about most 12ms and 8ms LCDs. Although that Eizo can do 12ms gray-to-gray and it is 8bit.

SickBoy

Viewsonic VG800. Older, but I got a good deal (at the time, and I really needed a new monitor). Of course, now there's a wide selection of quality monitors for a similar price to what I paid ($500CDN) Not sure if prices have come down that much since I bought it in August, if it's cause of better exchange rates, or a combination of both.

B00006B6WY.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

OKAYYYY

Well, I just bought a new fangled LCD monitor from NewEgg. I really hope it doesn't suck, as this thing has been getting the most wild and glowing praise from everyone who comes in contact with it. Everytime a website gets a shipment in, they sell out within hours. I felt compelled to buy it when a new shipment arrived, and I'm starting to feel buyer's remorse. Oh well. Here it is:

24-179-014-11.JPG

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=24-179-014&depa=0

Panel Type: A-Si TFT Active Matrix
Native Resolution: SXGA (1280 x 1024)
Pixel Pitch: 0.294 mm
Brightness: 300 cd/m2
Contrast Ratio: 700:1
Response Time: 8ms View Angle: 150° / 135° (Horizontal / Vertical)
Input Connectors: 15-pin D-sub, DVI-D, Audio in
Features: Built-in 2x 2w speakers & Headphone out; Adjustable Pivot & Tilt/Height Stand
Dimensions & Weight: 16.3" x 17.1 x 7.9" (WxHxD), 12.3 lbs
Manufacturer's Warranty / Phone No.: 3-year warranty / 800-568-0060
Dead Pixels Policy: Replacement and Refund for 8 or more DEAD PIXELS ONLY!

Pretty damn good specs. The best you can get right now, really.

Here's a fantastico review of it:

http://www20.graphics.tomshardware.com/display/20050215/lcd-01.html

Quality Color

To our great surprise, the L90D+'s color rendering is excellent. Marketed as a gamer's monitor, the L90D+ has color fidelity that matches the best CRT monitors! It's simply excellent, and in fact very close to the quality you get with MVA panels, but without the slowness.

Here the L90D+ confirms its capabilities as a static monitor. The image is very uniform; few monitors can boast of this level of quality. The full range of values is within a 15% band. Note that the lower part of the image is a little less bright, but fortunately that has no real effect.

Here the L90D+ confirms its capabilities as a static monitor. The image is very uniform; few monitors can boast of this level of quality. The full range of values is within a 15% band. Note that the lower part of the image is a little less bright, but fortunately that has no real effect.

Argyle

Dell 2000FP on this machine...

Dual 15" LCDs on the machine in the den (one is a generic "XScreen" Fry's special, the other an NEC)...

Dual Dell 2001FP's at work...

Error Macro said:
OKAYYYY

Well, I just bought a new fangled LCD monitor from NewEgg. I really hope it doesn't suck, as this thing has been getting the most wild and glowing praise from everyone who comes in contact with it. Everytime a website gets a shipment in, they sell out within hours. I felt compelled to buy it when a new shipment arrived, and I'm starting to feel buyer's remorse. Oh well. Here it is:

24-179-014-11.JPG

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=24-179-014&depa=0

Pretty damn good specs. The best you can get right now, really.

Here's a fantastico review of it:

http://www20.graphics.tomshardware.com/display/20050215/lcd-01.html

Damn man!! That actually looks like a pretty sweet LCD!!! Except for the horrid viewing angles... yuck.
Edit- nm, i take back everything i said ;P

GamePnoy74 said:
If you want some extra style to go with your Samsung 710T, there's the 172x (what I have):

B0000VD3KS.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Similar specs to the 710T, but more streamlined (narrow bezel, thin base, etc.)...power supply is separate to the monitor to support the slim look, costs a little bit more. Image quality overall looks great, performs very well =)

Edit: Newegg.com currently has this for $369 plus $10 shipping and tax (if applicable).

Exactly what I've got. I absolutely love the very elegant and simple design. I've yet to see another LCD monitor that looks better. Thin bezel rocks!

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
B000233YDK.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

27" 16:9 Cinema-Style Widescreen Aspect Ratio
> HDTV Display Ready (480i, 480p, 1080i, 720p)
> 750:1 High Contrast Ratio
> Wide XGA 1280 x 720 Resolution

> High Brightness 700 cd/m2
> Dual Built-in TV Tuner
> PIP & Picture Grid Views
> Digital 3D Comb Filter
> HDTV Progressive Scan
> 170 / 170 Degree Wide Viewing Angles
> VGA (DB15) & DVI/HDCP Source Inputs
> Detachable 10W + 10W Speakers
SPECIFICATION
Panels
Active Screen Size (inches) 27" TFT LCD
Aspect Ratio 16:9
Brightness
700 cd/m2
Contrast 750:1
Pixel Resolution (H x V) 1280 x 720
Response Time 12 ms
Viewing Angle 170 (H) / 170 (V)

VIDEO
Digital 3D Comb Filter Yes
Progressive Scan Yes
2:2 / 3:2 Pull Down Yes
Digital Picture Noise Reduction Yes
Resolution Scan VGA, SVGA, XGA, SXGA, WXGA
De-Interlacer Yes
Adjustable Color Temperature Yes
VGA Auto Frequency Correction Yes
TV Auto Frequency Tuning Yes

AUDIO
Mute Yes
Audio Output RCA R/L preout and Sub-Woofer preout
Earphone Output Mini - Stereo Jack x 1
Speaker 10w x 2 (Detachable)
Auto Voice Correction Yes

I/O Port
HDTV Input YPbPr x 1 (480i, 480p, 1080I, 720p)
Component Input YCbCr x 1 (480i)
Composite Video Input RCA x 1
S-Video Input 4-pin DIN x 1
Audio Input RCA L/R x 4
Mini - Stereo Jack x 1
DVI-HDCP Input DVI - I x 1
VGA Input D Sub - 15 x 1
TV System Support NTSC
TV Tuner Input TV / CATV RF x 1, NTSC Only
TV System Support NTSC / PAL / SECAM
(Regional Specific)
Service Port RS232 x 1

OTHER
Wall Mounted Type VESA 200, WM-10D / WM-20D
Horizontal Frequency 30 - 80 KHz
Vertical Frequency 50 - 80 KHz
PC Frequency Support 1280 x 768 @ 60 Hz (Max)
Tuner Box Removable for ATSC Replacement
Power Consumption AC 150 Watts (Max)
Dimensions 21.8" (H) x 35" (W) x 8.8" (D)
with Stand
19.5" (H) x 35" (W) x 4.2" (D)
without Stand
35" (W) with Speakers
28.5" (W) without Speakers
Weight 48 lbs with Stand
38 lbs without Stand
Safety Certification CE, FCC, UL, CUL, CB, TUV

FUNCTION
TV / Video Switch Yes
Dual Tuner* Yes
Channel Return Yes
MTS Yes
PIP / Split Screen / POP 3 / POP12 Yes
Viewing Aspect Ratio 16:9, 4:3, Zoom
Clock / Alarm Yes
Sleep Timer Yes
Favorite Channel Yes
Setting Yes
V-Chip Parental Control Yes
Close Caption Yes

Picked up last night.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Use my Dell laptop screen at work
Have a crappy generic 17" LCD with my new desktop (very nice compared to this laptop)
Have a 30" philips LCD like cubicle for my TV. I haven't worked out how to connect my PC to it yet, but have tried some WMVHD from my laptop and its really nice :)

Mad Hatter said:
Damn man!! That actually looks like a pretty sweet LCD!!! Except for the horrid viewing angles... yuck.
Edit- nm, i take back everything i said ;P

150 degrees ain't bad at all, if it's an honest measurement. I'll let ya know when I get it, probably on Thursday.

If it's truthful, it's only 15 degress in either direction from the screen, left or right.

I found these two pictures from someone's thread on OCForums.com, though I'll take some of my own:

http://www.diablonet.net/~kelly/22/l90d/left.jpg

http://www.diablonet.net/~kelly/22/l90d/top.jpg

I've seen far worse.

Samsung Syncmaster 710N :rock
I cant believe how good the picture quality is on this thing, i was a huge anti-lcd screen person even after i bought the damn thing... but playing games, watching movies and surfing the web with this lcd has changed me.
Only negative is that i got one dead pixel, but i can return the monitor within seven days for a brand new one... :rock
I also had to turn down the sharpness to 50% as it was creating a white ghosting kind of effect when viewing black text on white/light backgrounds... looks fantatastic now.

9.0 out of 10. :D

Specs:
Black
1280 X 1024 native resolution
12mn response time
160degree viewing angle.. although, you relaly have to sit right infront of it to get the absolute best Picture quality.

I think it's the same as Diablos one.. just different region model number..

xsarien

daedsiluap
What I'm currently running:
Samsung SyncMaster 171P

171p_lg.jpg

Size:
17" (4:3 aspect ratio)

Resolution:
1280x1024

Contrast Ratio:
500:1

Brightness:

Pixel Response Time:
~25ms

Connection:
DVI, VGA

Has a Posse?
Yes

What I'd give my left nut for:
Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW

2405fp_150x150.jpg

Size:
24" (Widescreen, 16:10 aspect ratio)

Resolution:
1920x1200

Contrast Ratio:
~600:1

Brightness:
???

Pixel Response Time:
12-16ms

Connection:
DVI, VGA, Component, S-Video, Composite

Has a Posse?
Hell yes

I swear, the only thing that could stop me from trying to get my hands on that Dell is if it turns out to be a 16.2m color panel.

xsarien said:
What I'd give my left nut for:
Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW

2405fp_150x150.jpg

Size:
24" (Widescreen, 16:10 aspect ratio)

Resolution:
1920x1200

Contrast Ratio:
~600:1

Brightness:
???

Pixel Response Time:
12-16ms

Connection:
DVI, VGA, Component, S-Video, Composite

Has a Posse?
Hell yes

I swear, the only thing that could stop me from trying to get my hands on that Dell is if it turns out to be a 16.2m color panel.

I'm pretty sure I saw that monitor for sale for $550 on a Dell biz catalog. What an incredible bargain....

edit: OOPS! I think it was the 20" version I saw for $550. Sorry. :D

xsarien

daedsiluap
Shogmaster said:
I'm pretty sure I saw that monitor for sale for $550 on a Dell biz catalog. What an incredible bargain....

That had to have been the 20" display. The 24" isn't out until next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom