• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF LCD Monitor Roundup

Status
Not open for further replies.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Diablos said:
That's nice, but uh, 1920x1200?
My 9800 Pro would run games at like 5fps :lol

I should point out that the most recent PC game I own is Syberia. :p Any other games that I have that do any kind of *real* 3D stuff shouldn't tax the system too hard.

I'm among the disenchanted, nigh-disenfranchised PC adventure gamers that got pushed aside for shooter fans. I can easily calculate that about 99% of my gaming takes place either on my consoles. That's been the case since, well, the Dreamcast.

Diablos said:
Lots of games only seem to offer 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1152x864, and 1280x1024...

You can usually go in and manually adjust the res in most recent games. My friend had to that for Doom 3, which didn't offer 1280x720 right off the bat.

Dujour

Banned
productshot_imac3_0804.jpg

No great games to play on it yet, though.

Fowler

Alright, some advice needed. I'm looking at getting a small LCD TV (or monitor with TV inputs) for my old consoles -- everything from SNES to PSone to Dreamcast. Nothing fancy and nothing outstanding, just something small to keep them all hooked up to. What sort of response time is fine for console gaming though? Is 16ms alright?

Fowler said:
Alright, some advice needed. I'm looking at getting a small LCD TV (or monitor with TV inputs) for my old consoles -- everything from SNES to PSone to Dreamcast. Nothing fancy and nothing outstanding, just something small to keep them all hooked up to. What sort of response time is fine for console gaming though? Is 16ms alright?

16ms is all you need since no console game went above 60fps. 16ms allows for 62.5 fps before ghosting sets in.

Diablos

Shogmaster said:
16ms is all you need since no console game went above 60fps. 16ms allows for 62.5 fps before ghosting sets in.
And where did you get this fact from?

I still see a little bit of shadowing when I play UT2004 or HL2, and my fps is 30-40. Using a screen that's 12ms.

Diablos said:
And where did you get this fact from?

Ummm... math? Divide 1 (second) by .016 (milliseconds) and see what you get.

I still see a little bit of shadowing when I play UT2004 or HL2, and my fps is 30-40. Using a screen that's 12ms.

That shadowing is probably not ghosting but rather, some other artifact, unless you are seeing ghosting when the game is hitting above 83fps (limit of 12ms LCDs) in few parts.

Diablos

Shogmaster said:
Ummm... math? Divide 1 (second) by .016 (milliseconds) and see what you get.

That shadowing is probably not ghosting but rather, some other artifact, unless you are seeing ghosting when the game is hitting above 83fps (limit of 12ms LCDs) in few parts.
Noo... it's whenever I turn, strafe, look up, or look down - it happens. And this is with stat fps on in UT; not even close to 83fps. There's still some image tearing. It's nothing to cry about, but to say LCD's don't do any ghosting under 83fps on a 12ms display isn't exactly true, IMO.

Diablos said:
Noo... it's whenever I turn, strafe, look up, or look down - it happens. And this is with stat fps on in UT; not even close to 83fps. There's still some image tearing. It's nothing to cry about, but to say LCD's don't do any ghosting under 83fps on a 12ms display isn't exactly true, IMO.

I wonder if this has anything to do with when they list pixel delay ratings, they do say "typical" most of the time. I'm thinking that even within a single model of a LCD, the pixel delay performance is all over the place.

The 8ms monitor I'm getting, in reality, has closer to a 27ms average response time. Manufacturers rate the response times with 100 percent contrast, on a black to white transition, to get the absolute best possible time. In practice, this never happens.

12ms panels average above 30ms, approx. 35ms. 16ms panels are in the low to mid 40's on average. It just keeps getting worse from there on up, obviously.

Diablos

Error Macro said:
The 8ms monitor I'm getting, in reality, has closer to a 27ms average response time. Manufacturers rate the response times with 100 percent contrast, on a black to white transition, to get the absolute best possible time. In practice, this never happens.

12ms panels average above 30ms, approx. 35ms. 16ms panels are in the low to mid 40's on average. It just keeps getting worse from there on up, obviously.
Where'd you learn this from Ermac?

From reading many, many, reviews of LCD panels.

The best reviews, as far as in-depth technical analysis goes, are from TomsHardware.com. It's too bad they have never reviewed a model I had been interested in, until the new Hyundai.

Ah yes, I forgot about that article. It's a great read. It should be required reading for anyone looking to buy an LCD monitor. Well, actually I think everyone should just read it.

cs060mk2

sony23.jpg

I have a 23 inch Sony. It feels just right although I would not mind a bigger monitor or a dual or tripple 23 setup when I work.

cs060mk2 said:
sony23.jpg

I have a 23 inch Sony. It feels just right although I would not mind a bigger monitor or a dual or tripple 23 setup when I work.

Hmm... I've seen that picture before. Did you post that on the [H]ard Forums? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom