• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Madden 2005 Season 2 Online League: Because Halo 2 can't last forever!

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Can you play at 10:30 pm eastern time? I got to watch my Rockets :D If they are getting killed or something I'll play you earlier.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Cool I'll most likely be on aim,just to make sure we are good to go.

Mrbob

Oh man. If there was ever a game that was made for spectator mode it was my recent game against Fifty! That was a wild and crazy game, and due to my A button not working on an extra point it cost me to lose the game by one! Oh sweet irony. :lol That was probably the best back and forth game I've played all season. Statisically the game was close, and I did my best to control the clock because I didn't wanted the Colts offense to have as few runs as possible. In this respect I think I did pretty well at controlling the clock with mixing in running plays with short passes. That was my plan from the start and I executed it well on offense. I just had a few speedbumps hit me on the road. Here is what happened in our game.

1st Quarter) Fifty got the ball first. I made him go 3 and out on his first posession and he punted. On my first possesion I take a couple minute drive all the way down to his 20 yard line. On 3rd down I get sacked back at the 25 and am forced to go for a field goal. My kicker decided to hook the FG to the left and I miss a 42 yard FG! I should have known something was in the air then! :lol Fifty then proceeds to give James the ball and he scampers for a 58 yard TD on the next play. 7-0 Colts. On my next possesion I take the ball down 80 yards on a drive and score a TD. Game is tied at 7 end of the first quarter.

2nd Quarter) Get Fifty to punt and I get the ball back. I get a big gain by Holt down the field and get to his 15 yard line. On the next passing play the ball is incomplete and Bulger gets hit and is hurt. He ends up being out the rest of the 2nd quarter so I have to use Chandler!! :( I end up having to kick a FG to go up 10-7. Fifty gets the ball back and on the 1st or second play gets a 70+ yard TD pass to Harrison. I play the safety on harrisons side all game and I crept up too close. Colts lead 14-10. We exchange a couple punts and Fifty pins me down at my own 5 yard line with about one minute forty left in the half. On the first play I run a counter draw up the middle, juke his safety, and scamper 95 yards for a TD! Rams back up 17-14. But I give manning too much time! Once again the Manning to Harrison combination burn me on another big bomb pass play and I'm down 21-17 at the half.

3rd Quarter) This is where the craziness begins. I get the ball first and thankfully Bulger is back. Unfortunately I can't do anything on m first drive so I punt. I get Fifty to punt the ball at my 40 yard line and he pins me down at the 2 yard line. On the first play I called a run to the weak side. Fifty decides to shift all his linebackers, CBS, and dbs to the strong side and I'm like, "Yes, this should be a good gain"! UNFORTUNATELY, after the ball is snapped Bulger runs right by Faulk and doesn't hand off the ball! :lol I'm dead to rights in the end zone with Bulger and get sacked for a safety. Colts up 23-17. I kick the ball back to Fifty and amazinly my defense stops him again. I get the ball back and get to midfield when it is 4th and 5 on the 49. I contempated punting but I was down by 6 and i didn't know how long my defense could hold out. So I went for it and got the first down! It turned out to be a great move as I ended up driving down the field and scoring a TD to tie it at 23! Now at the extra point, my A button stops working. I couldn't believe it! I kept on pressing A and nothing happened. I paused the game a couple times and switched controllers but I still couldn't kick the extra point! :lol The game then automatically puts the kicking meter on and I couldn't do anything so I shanked the extra point! On the following kickoff the A button worked fine! :lol :( 3rd quarter end tied at 23.

4th Quarter) Get Fifty to punt again, and I begin my drive. Once again Bulger gets hurt in the beginning of the 4th and was out the rest of the game. Get into FG position and kick a FG to go up 26-23. On Fifty's next possession Manning throws an INT at midfield which I return for a TD! Now I'm up 33-23. On Fifty's next possession after that he punts the ball back to me with 4 minutes left. I go on a two minute drive which culminates on me getting stopped on 3rd and goal with a minute fifty left. I kick a FG to go up 36-23. And thus is the beginning of my collapse. I started to play soft coverage to get the clock to run down, and Fifty drives his colts down to my 20 yard line where I play a bit tighter. I get him to 4th and 10 at my 20 yard line with a minute left. If I stop him here I win the game. He had two WR flanked out to his left with harrison by himself on the right. Like I mentioned before I usually play the safety on Harrisons side but for this play I was gonna switch out to the safety on the other side. I must have missed it because I ended up taking my safety on the right hand side and moving him to the left on that 4h and 10 play, and left the cornerback help wide open. Harrison TD 36-30 rams with one minute left. I made a mistake, but if I get the onside kick I win! Well, this didn't turn out to well for me. The onside kick goes between three of my guys and the ball shoots high into the air as my dumbasses sit there and watch it. As it comes down one of the Colts players runs inbetween and gets the ball! Colts recover! I gave Manning one shot too many as he connected with Harrison again on a big bomb to go up 37-36. I actually have 45 seconds left to mount one final score but I knew I was screwed. I had to rely on Chandlers arm to get me downfield and he ends up throwing an INT. Game over.

It was a crazy game. I did some great things like controlling the clock and running the ball. Unfortunately I made too many mistakes plus the madden gods struck down upon me once more on that extra point and safety! A game I should have won, but even after all the crazy stuff which happened I just needed to make one stop on 4th down or get that onside kick to win! So I put the blame on myself for not getting it done in the last two minutes!

Ramirez

roster_schaubM.jpg

Vick goes down in the 1st!Out for the game!Oh no!No worries,Schaub to the rescue!

You all can shut up about Vick being the reason I win now ;) :D

Fifty

Thanks for recapping that, Bob. You lost, yet you had the energy to write that up :D That's why you got my best sportsman nomination. Anyway, not much to add, except to say that it was a fantastic game (destined for OT) and to me, the weirdest thing was that twice I had to punt it from his 38 yard line (give or take a few yards). Odd situation to be in. A punt seems stupid, because you're so close, but I had 8+ yards to go so I couldn't go for it, plus I just didn't want to risk it. Out of field goal range....man that was frustrating. I just remember that because I had only been in that situation one or two times in the past two seasons, that I can recall, yet I was forced to make that call twice in one game.

dm you lost to a vick-less falcons team!? fraudulent! paper champion!

p.s. ramirez if we meet in the playoffs i am taking that scumbag vick out... hitstick style! :D

DMczaf

FrenchMovieTheme said:
dm you lost to a vick-less falcons team!? fraudulent! paper champion!

p.s. ramirez if we meet in the playoffs i am taking that scumbag vick out... hitstick style! :D

It was the Lakers/Cavs all over again! I gameplan for weeks for a Vick Attack and what happens? Vick gets hurt in the 1st half and I'm stuck with a QB Contain playbook against Drew Bledsoe Jr. :(

I did succeed in containing Schaub though, my job was DONE! I win!

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
DJ, I guess we can play tomorrow. I will log in again around midnight Central to see if you can play tonight or not. Tomorrow it has to be before the games start.

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
Wellington said:
Gunstar, how about 3PM EST on Saturday?

I can honestly say that I have never been more excited about a Madden game as I am about this one. All I need to do is execute my gameplan. :|

3PM EST should be alright.

Shadax

Banned
dskillzhtown said:
DJ, I guess we can play tomorrow. I will log in again around midnight Central to see if you can play tonight or not. Tomorrow it has to be before the games start.

dskillz, it's 2:30AM Eastern now, I'll be up for another 20 min or so, but if you post before I go to sleep I will play our game now. Otherwise, let's shoot for tomorrow morning (before noon EST).

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
That rush D was a lot tougher than I expected it to be, hence I could not mount an offense. GG. And on top of that, you beat me with the running game, which I thought would have been a non issue.

If you want my gameplan for the game, I can send it to you.

Ugh.

Here are some excerpts from my gameplan:

Gunstar Offensive Tendencies:

Owens, Westbrook, Lewis, McNabb.

He will pass to Owens, he will run fly routes. I am told he is good with reading coverages, if he sees cover 2 he will hit Owens deep, if he sees cover 3 he will hit Westbrook in the flats. Lewis is a big part of his offense as well, though I don’t know how he will be used. Possibility for curls/ins/outs/posts, flies could be dangerous if he lines up on the same side as Owens. Not a lot of rushing on his part, will make keying in on the pass easier.

The run:

Matched up against a great D-Line and great LBs. Must bounce the ball to the outside, in order to facilitate this, run out of the I-Form with dual HBs. Ron Dayne has higher awareness and higher speed than Jim Finn does. He will hit the outside blitzing safety, or the outside linebacker faster than Finn. Frees up Tiki to a quick outside burst if Toomer holds the block. On top of that, make sure to run with Ron Dayne as he has a higher BTK than Tiki and a higher CAR rating, no running with Finn. The defense is too fast and Finn is too slow. FB runs with Ron Dayne in dual HB will work. Beware of Jevon Kearse to the outside if Gunstar controls him. Sell him with runs between the guard and the tackle. Burgess is the weak link on the line to the left, but he has Simoneau behind him. Run with Dayne as the FB.

Gameplan in Brief –

Offense –

RUN, RUN, RUN
RUN

Make use of Dual HB, Spell HB, TE Slot, and Jumbo Backfield packages.
Use Dayne primarily as the FB for speed.
Hit Hilliard if the bump is on.
Stay away from passing over the middle.

Defense –
Try Cover 1 to stop Lewis, but double team Owens.
Always double Owens
Blitzes since Westbrook will be out in the flats.
Blitz opposite from Strahan in order to have it act as contain
Bump Pinkston, hit stick Pinkston after catch

The bolded portions are where I was wrong. I lost because I adhered so strictly to my gameplan. His Run D was ridiculously good, and even I couldn't get anything out of it, meanwhile Eli was completing a lot of passes and getting good yardage. Cover 1 did not work, he was still able to hit his TE. The contain did not work simply because he did not scramble.

Did as much planning as I could pretty much sight unseen. :| I did not expect to be beaten by the run and I played the pass all game. I learned a valuable lesson in this game, though, I'll make sure to take advantage in the future. 13-7, 1:30 left, I had the ball and drove down a good amount of the field. His DB tipped the pass and inted it right at the end with 5 seconds left.

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
Wellington said:
That rush D was a lot tougher than I expected it to be, hence I could not mount an offense. GG. And on top of that, you beat me with the running game, which I thought would have been a non issue.

If you want my gameplan for the game, I can send it to you.

Ugh.

I would love to play again another time with you using a better team.

Fifty

DJ...The round advances tomorrow night. I can't play tomorrow night, so can you play on monday? I'm free that evening. Give me a time (9 ish eastern would be ideal) and I'll post here confirming it.

Shadax

Banned
Fifty said:
DJ...The round advances tomorrow night. I can't play tomorrow night, so can you play on monday? I'm free that evening. Give me a time (9 ish eastern would be ideal) and I'll post here confirming it.

Yea, I can play tomorrow night, but later (like 10PM EST or later).

Fifty

Yeah, that's good. I forgot that 24 is on tomorrow, so 10 is the soonest I can play too. I'll reach you on AIM then.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Noooo! Matrix puts the rushing title pretty much out of my hands entirely. :( I'm sure I can get 331 yards, but I don't know if I will do it tomorrow, the Vikings have a great D-Line in this game for some insane reason. Damn you Matrix... DAMN YOU.

Matrix

:lol

Too bad Ram kicked my ass and stole my lunch money :(

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Truelize said:
k I'm back. Let me know when. The only thing I'm leaving the house for tomorrow is to train so I can play at any time.

Ready whenever you are, my AIM nick is InsecureKillah.

I just want to let you know I will run the ball... a lot.

*Die Matrix Die*

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Mrbob said:
True, you must keep CK to 11 first downs or less! You can do it! I believe in you!

:lol! I forgot to check that stat, now I know what I will need!

If I get the chance in this game I will try some new and radically different things on offense in preparation for the playoffs.

Wheneeeever you're ready True...

*looks at WoW icon*

*cries*

You could just give me a timeframe if you can't play now or soon.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Gah! The Vikings Run D strikes again! Soon as I saw I was uneffective I switched it up and went through the air. My one miscue all game was a stupid int, argh. GG Truelize you played better than the numbers show. Damn you Matrix... DAMN YOU TO HELL. :(

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Wellington said:
Gah! The Vikings Run D strikes again! Soon as I saw I was uneffective I switched it up and went through the air. My one miscue all game was a stupid int, argh. GG Truelize you played better than the numbers show. Damn you Matrix... DAMN YOU TO HELL. :(

Those are some very kind words. :) I'm ready to start winning though. I'll let people call me cheap and complain about me and stuff for some wins. Good trade off??

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I'm using this league's statistic page to formulate a plan of attack which will triumph over adversity! FESTIVUS IS UPON YOU, MWHAHA

site1066.jpg

site1064.jpg

site1065.jpg

Top Bottom