• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Madden 2005 Season 2 Online League: Because Halo 2 can't last forever!

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Holy shit I just played the craziest game of Madden ever (Non league, online). We both had crazy defense (the guy was the bucs) to the point where it ended up 0-0 at the end of regulation. Went to OT and he nailed a bomb to Galloway to set him up at the 15. Next play he scrambles right with Griese and I hit stick him with Strahan, he gets up, picks up the ball, and runs back the TD. Fuckin' crazy. You're doomed if my defensive plays holds up Dskillz!

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Mrbob said:
Ok cool. I have no big plans to go out tonight as it looks like I'm going to be stuck at home looking outside at the blizzard that is about to hit...

Nah tonight is shot man. Lost is on and then Alias premier is 2 hours. We'll have to play tomorrow.
Can you play tomorrow between 7 or 8 est?

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
You are next FMT. I have won 4 of the last 5, 5 of the last 7. My two losses in that stretch were BS DM losses, so it's understandable. In a few days you will become JUST... ANOTHER.... VICTIM. (That was for the WWE fans)

gg Ramirez. That fumble scenario in the 4th was ricockulously funny. Goddamn Vick, if I pull a man off coverage (cause the linemen are too fat to chase him) he'll throw to the open man, and if I don't pulll a man off, it's an instant first down. Goddammit. Plus I couldn't get shit done in the air (aside from that beautifully timed play action TD to start the game--PROTIP: that's how you call the PA. :p ) or on the ground.

Ramirez

PROTIP: that's how you call the PA

Heh,I had Price wide open too on one and he caught it in the back of the endzone,ugh.But you only completed 4 passes out of 24,so I can't say Im dissapointed with my D this game :D My WRs were dropping wide open shit left and right though,ugh.

Fifty

Well, despite that being a loss that made me sick to my stomach (I could have easily won), I don't feel too bad...because I know that was the closest game Ramirez has been in this season, and my guys were just outmatched in terms of speed. The Falcons beat you with speed, and they nearly lost because of Vick's speed. Things can change in a second, and I lost. Great game. I'll say that even if I lose, if I put up a good fight and it could have gone either way (well, if you didn't have Vick)

fifty i played with the colts last night and their offense sucks nuts. to be honest, i did use their playbook so maybe that was part of it. too many PA passes and odd routes. no colts for me in season 3!

p.s. mike vick is garbage. i killed him once, i'm going to do it again in the playoffs if need be. ramirez already knows that

Fifty

Granny Peyton can throw, but so can Vick (unrealistically so) and Peyton can't scramble if his life was on the line. Nevertheless, that's not an excuse. I could have won it had I called spy or double spy on the goal line and had the linebacker not jumped up like a fucking NINJA to catch a throw over the middle to my TE on the final drive. Yes, their playbook does have too many 3 WR PAs, which don't work often because hardly anyone throws out of a 3 WR formation. I played CB again, and I didn't do too bad. I'm really looking forward to the third season, no matter how hard I crash and burn (yet again) in the second half of this season.

Ramirez

I doubt you remember it,but I had Dunn wide open just sitting in the middle and I threw it and it went like 5 yards to the right and missed Dunn entirely,it was awful...and I wasn't even under pressure.

Fifty

yes, but I decided not to bring up the 5 times my guys couldn't cover Finneran! I can go on all day Ramirez, don't try to beat me!

Mrbob

Haha! I suckered Matrix into Martz mode for our last game and you can't out pass Martz for a victory! :lol

Although Boeller almost did.....

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Mrbob said:
Haha! I suckered Matrix into Martz mode for our last game and you can't out pass Martz for a victory! :lol

Although Boeller almost did.....

I should have stuck to the run...6 carries and like 80 yards...im a fuck-TARD!!!....

but damn do I look pretty passing.

Fifty

Matrix and Bob! The battle of two guys who should run more often, and never do! Matrix went back to his roots this game. You've gotta use Jamal, or else you'll end up like this. I'm so ashamed that you pass more than you throw with the Ravens, and you're still ahead of me :(

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Fifty said:
Matrix and Bob! The battle of two guys who should run more often, and never do! Matrix went back to his roots this game. You've gotta use Jamal, or else you'll end up like this. I'm so ashamed that you pass more than you throw with the Ravens, and you're still ahead of me :(

I pass with Boller's golden arm..its all in the button pressure. I have taken a team you couldnt pass with and have turned them into the team you're playing with right now...or the way they should be :(

Im sorry Fifty..just be glad im not using the Colts...you might never see me run :p

Mrbob

To my defense, once I figured out I couldn't run the ball against the ravens D, I started using the pass like the run. I started playing some Brett Favre style dump off passing to control the clock and basically acted like a run play. If you look at the time of possesion stats I doubled up matrix that game.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I've never been more upset in my life about a Madden game. I think I sprained my wrist. I threw the controller down and punched the monitor after one play. I forgot what it was.

yes dudes, perhaps my... luckiest game in 2 season! here is the run down, quarter by quarter:

1st quarter - first play of the game, 73 yard touchdown to shockey. i get the ball back go 7 plays and 70 yards for the score. then i get a fg later, 10-7. thats when the madness began!

2nd quarter - ck drives to midfield, appears to be throwing and i knock the ball out of eli's hand. fumble! i get it and score a few plays later. 17-7. ck comes right back with a 65 yard touchdown to hilliard (or toomer i cant recall). 17-14 near the end of the half. i drive downfield for a fg, 20-14 at the half.

3rd quarter - more fumbling! ck fumbles, i recover and get a FG. 23-14.

4th quarter - this is where the fun starts. ck, down 9, drives allllllllllllllll the way inside my 20. it is 3rd and goal from the 13. he throws it and gets 12 yards to literally the 1 inch line. decisions... so, he decides to go for it. i stuff eli manning 3 yards in the backfield and hang on to the 9 pt lead. then, after i get the ball back im driving, i fumble the ball, it boucnes back 10 yards, my FB recovers and runs for about 8 yards to setup a manageable 2nd and 14. i later punted, ck scored a td and missed the onside, case closed game over. all told ck had 3 fumbles which i recovered, including one by tiki!

gg ck. you're next fifty

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Okay... now that I have calmed down a bit here is the game from my POV.

It's my fault for losing, I did not prep as hard as I do against anyone. I knew two things coming in: 1) Stay away from John Abraham, Donnie Abraham, and Jonathan Vilma. 2) DM gave FMT advice on how to play me (stop slant passes). So I based my game off of that, and knowing that FMT knows I would play as fundamentally as possible.

My MO is to run on first down no matter what, and FMT knows that. So I called a pass to Shockey running an out route to the sideline hoping for a quick ten yard gain in order to have FMT ease up on the LOS. Shockey was able to turn the corner and run all the way up field for a 73 yard TD. FMT's drive, predictably, my D-line outside of Strahan was dominated, my secondary closes their eyes and let's stuff happen, safeties bounce off their receivers and he scores a TD.

Next drive, stuffed on my first and second down runs, so I go and try and hit Hilliard for the ten yard gain, no dice. He catches the ball passed the first down marker and then the defender pulls him back, Madden gives me a 4th and inches. Next drive FMT scores.

Next drive, I move the ball, things are happening. I see Toomer open on my right side go to pass it, nope, Ellis hits Eli causes a fumble. FMT recovers and scores an FG. Drive after that, I call an I form twin WR play with Hilliard on the outside, Toomer at the slot. FMT on the inside playing Toomer, and he calls a bump. Fortunately for me, and I will expose this because I think it won't matter anymore, Hilliard beats the bump quickly and easily, since he is matched up on the second CB, and he himself is pretty strong. He does it again and I get a 54 yard td. 17-14

This is the play that really just frustrated me to the point where I could not think anymore. I think it was second down and I called a PA FB Flat play. I noticed FMT was using Vilma and I knew he was matched up with Barber. I hot routed Shockey and my fullback Finn to stay in and block, while I sent Barber on a fly in hopes of hitting him for a five yard gain. I drop back and I am pretty much eyeballing Barber the whole play, soon as he got passed the LOS I gunned it at him, only FMT's guy hits me at the same time (Yes, even with the two extra blockers). The ball flies five yards forwards and the game calls it a fumble. I don't understand. If his hand was not moving forward, why would the ball have as much momentum as it did? I was not moving forward, I was not moving period. After that, I pretty much threw in the towel mentally. It's one of those games I was not meant to win.

Other things of note:

Barber fumbled.

I sacked Chad with Strahan, caused the fumble with two of my guys in the area, and FMT recovers. That's where I went crazy, slammed my controller down, punched my monitor, and kicked over the other chair in my room. Why, with two guys in that area, did I not recover that fucking ball. They were in position, yet they did not break for the ball... I don't give a fuck how low their awareness is. They are in the NFL, if the ball is loose, run to it. Honestly that was just ridiculous and BS.

I was at the goalline and I called a goalline QB sneak. I wanted to audible into my patented Shockey quick out pass which I have set to A. So, I press X, then press A in order to get the play. Nope, X didn't register, ball is snapped I run backwards with Eli for a split second then I realize wtf just happend but it's too late at that point. Turnover on downs.

Eli's two fumbles count as negative yardage on my rushing stats, ugh.

It is clear to me that my team is causing a lot of problems for me. I have decided that in Season 3, in order to avoid problems with my team being fucking idiots and not blocking and letting their opponents make catches in double coverage (a crappy TE no less) and dropping balls and FUMBLING WHEN IT'S NOT RAINING, NOT A HIT STICK HIT, AND WITH A CARRY RATING OF 80, I will be the Patriots.

Edit: I cannot believe I was sacked and fumbled when I sent out two receivers and held everyone in to block. I played mistake free, no ints, heck, FMT had no dropped ints either, and I still lose. I created space on running plays (you know you liked that spin to the outside!) and I got 280 yards passing with eli of all people. Ugh. Fuck this team man. Fuck EA for their ridiculously unbalanced teams

good writeup, but one thing you are wrong about is DM giving me tips. i based my strategy this game on how you played me in our last game. the mistake i made was i forgot about shockey, and even when i remembered him i couldn't in good conscience double team him every down, even though it hurt me eventually. giants have a good team i think, you just had some bad breaks. i know you dont want to get beat on the deep pass so you dont play bump, but at the sametime by NOT playing bump you made it easy for me in medium yardage situations. you have to take chances sometimes. that is how i got burnt by toomer on that TD (no deep help and bumping), but it is also how i created a couple of those fumbles.

i look forward to meeting you in the superbowl!

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
As mad as I am about the bad breaks, the game was still in my grasp, so I still think it was a good game.

And yeah, i don't really blitz since I can create pressure with Strahan... I didn't that game though, and I played exactly the same way I played Bob, DM, and Matrix. I think one of my DTs got the only sack of the game. See guys, my cheese is easy to defeat.

Matrix

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i look forward to meeting you in the superbowl!

:lol :(

I guess that means Dm,fifty and I should quit playing :p

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
:p

Luckily you and Fifty lost, so I lost no ground. Hopefully we get the bracket so that Fifty plays DM, and I play you. I'm not saying I'm a great player and will kill you, but we split the season series, so I have a shot. And I split with Fifty as well. DM though, he'll continue using his voodoo against me to win, by three points, like the other three games this season.

However I will say that today's game is the last one I go into without any kind of preparation. I didn't think the Jet's pass rush was that strong and I would have subbed in a heavier backfield.

Matrix

Dm uses voodoo magic against everyone..I still dont know how I beat him.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
gg DM. You must have taken it easy on me. Cause that was actually a decent game.
I'm very happy considering Culpepper got hurt right at the start of the game there. Ugh.

I don't get how you got that interception at the end. I watched that DB every single play during that drive and he never went for the pass until it was too late. But this time he read it perfectly. I should have went weak side. Oh well. I was really hoping to get some points on the board at least.

DMczaf

I was switching between man on man and Cover 2 during that drive. That time I played Quarter Cover 2 so I had the entire endzone covered with zones.

You were playing really well, had me at 0-7 on 3rd downs at one point. You just had bad breaks in the red zone starting with that Culpepper fumble on the 5 in the 1st quarter.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
DMczaf said:
You were playing really well, had me at 0-7 on 3rd downs at one point. You just had bad breaks in the red zone starting with that Culpepper fumble on the 5 in the 1st quarter.

Truelize don't sweat it man. As you can see in my post as well, all of these guys that are leading their divisions catch monster breaks all season. Dudes like us we have to actually work at it.

DMczaf

Wellington said:
Truelize don't sweat it man. As you can see in my post as well, all of these guys that are leading their divisions catch monster breaks all season. Dudes like us we have to actually work at it.

:lol

hgplayer1: I'm free the rest of this evening to play our game. Otherwise, tomorrow afternoon before 4PM EST. AIM: Atreides815. Let me know.

hgplayer1

DJ Demon J said:
hgplayer1: I'm free the rest of this evening to play our game. Otherwise, tomorrow afternoon before 4PM EST. AIM: Atreides815. Let me know.

DJ I just woke up but I can play right now :lol

Ill get on Live to see if youre on

Fifty

FMT.....it advances tomorrow, can you bring me to tears later on that night? If so, tell me when. Any time past 10 eastern is good for me.

Matrix

DJ,can you play our game tomorrow too?

hgplayer1

DJ Demon J said:
I get home from work at 6:30PM EST, so let's try to play before the deadline hits tomorrow night.

ok I should be home from work and be logged in at 7 eastern. Ill be waiting in the lobby.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Fifty said:
FMT.....it advances tomorrow, can you bring me to tears later on that night? If so, tell me when. Any time past 10 eastern is good for me.

Hope you have your lucky rabbit's foot and horseshoes.

Matrix said:
DJ,can you play our game tomorrow too?

Yep. Which team are you again? This match against hgplayer1 is a must-win--if I only beat two teams this season, they must be the Eagles and the Cowboys.

Mrbob

FrenchMovieTheme said:
one more win and i win my division + clinch at least the #2 seed in the playoffs. how sweet it is ladies!

Yeah I figured you were scared to want the number one seed!

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
DJ Demon J said:
Yep. Which team are you again? This match against hgplayer1 is a must-win--if I only beat two teams this season, they must be the Eagles and the Cowboys.

:lol!!!

Shame we don't play in this season, and I likely won't use the Giants next season.

Top Bottom